Forum Settings
Forums

Do you try to rate "objectively" and what do you think of people who rate "objectively"?

New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Mar 30, 2021 8:52 PM

Aug 2016
I don't rate anything objectively and people who rate things objectively don't exist, some might delude themselves into thinking they're being objective with their ratings, but at the end of the day it's still just their opinion. Not that being an opinion makes the rating or what the person says any less valid, it all depends on how they elaborate on whatever opinion they have, and whether they're based on factual evidence (the show actually doing something they claim it does) or if they're just bullshitting, or being intentionally dishonest.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Mar 30, 2021 9:18 PM

Aug 2013
AnimeLeviathan said:
For example an objective review of AOT:

"There are titans that attack humans, etc, etc". Instead of saying "The greatest part of AOT is its main plot, the titans" Or "The worst part of AOT is the characters."

Don't you think an "objective review" would be without words like "good" and "bad"?

Not necessarily. Take the CGI in AoT for instance. Sure, you can't objectively say it is good or bad. Maybe a professional animator could go on depth about it, but it's a hard task anyway.
However, imagine if the CGI glitches during production and Mappa didn't notice it, and the newest episode of AoT resembles a gameplay of Goat Simulator. Sure, one could still subjectively enjoy the result, whatever the reason, but still, from a production standpoint, it was objectively a bad thing to happen and a bad result.
Mar 30, 2021 9:33 PM

Apr 2020
Satyr_icon said:
AnimeLeviathan said:

"There are titans that attack humans, etc, etc". Instead of saying "The greatest part of AOT is its main plot, the titans" Or "The worst part of AOT is the characters."

Don't you think an "objective review" would be without words like "good" and "bad"?

Not necessarily. Take the CGI in AoT for instance. Sure, you can't objectively say it is good or bad. Maybe a professional animator could go on depth about it, but it's a hard task anyway.
However, imagine if the CGI glitches during production and Mappa didn't notice it, and the newest episode of AoT resembles a gameplay of Goat Simulator. Sure, one could still subjectively enjoy the result, whatever the reason, but still, from a production standpoint, it was objectively a bad thing to happen and a bad result.
No, facts don't care abour your feelings as they say. The only thing that's factual here is what happened in the production. Whether that's good or bad is an opinion. I imagine people who hate AoT would enjoy this and call it the greatest thing to ever happen to AoT. And they wouldn't be objectively wrong no matter how many people disagree.

edit: The point being, you tried to cheat by saying "from a production standpoint". That is still subjective. It is like like saying I hate too much salt in my food so it is objectively bad when my food has too much salt. It's all opinion, you're just using the term objective to reinforce how bad it is for you.
KaasfondueMar 30, 2021 9:47 PM
Mar 30, 2021 9:48 PM

Aug 2013
Kaasfondue said:
No, facts don't care abour your feelings as they say. The only thing that's factual here is what happened in the production. Whether that's good or bad is an opinion. I imagine people who hate AoT would enjoy this and call it the greatest thing to ever happen to AoT. And they wouldn't be objectively wrong no matter how many people disagree.

As I said:
(...)from a production standpoint(...)
Viewers might like it as I said as well, but the high-ups from Mappa surely wouldn't be happy with the result.
Mar 30, 2021 10:11 PM

Apr 2020
Satyr_icon said:
Kaasfondue said:

As I said:
(...)from a production standpoint(...)
Viewers might like it as I said as well, but the high-ups from Mappa surely wouldn't be happy with the result.
Yeah, I just added on that in my edit. I assume the "objective critics" crowd are using this same logic to call things objectively bad or good according to their own subjective criteria. It's honestly really unnecessary.
Mar 30, 2021 10:29 PM
Jan 2021
Depends on the anime like if its neon genesis evangelion ill rate it subjectively and objectivly but if its dragon ball ill just rate it subjectvly
Mar 30, 2021 10:35 PM

Aug 2018
never cross my thoughts that anyone would rate objectively
Mar 30, 2021 11:05 PM
Sep 2019
AnimeLeviathan said:
Nirinbo said:
I do think you can at least try to rate objectively, it's not something impossible because "true objectivity doesn't exists". However, I think it is bad because it forces you to rate almost everything between 6 and 8, just as professional videogame or movie reviewers do. For example:

- I'm watching a highly acclaimed anime, a "classic" you could say, and I'm not enjoying it. It's boring, but I can't give it a low score due to the supposedly "good writing". I have to rate it 6 or 7, at least.

- I'm watching a supposedly trashy anime and I'm enjoying it a lot. It's very entertaining, but I can't rate it higher than 6 or 7, since it isn't particularly deep or thought provoking.

Well I have a question for you. Do you think its possible for one to rate objectively?

Yes. Quality in a lot of things can be measured. If it has plot holes or mis fittings in a story, that makes the story objectively worse than a story which is cohesive and well written.
Mar 31, 2021 12:50 AM

Apr 2019
AshleyNoirWhite said:
AnimeLeviathan said:
Well I have a question for you. Do you think its possible for one to rate objectively?
Yes. Quality in a lot of things can be measured. If it has plot holes or mis fittings in a story, that makes the story objectively worse than a story which is cohesive and well written.
It's not without irony when two posters who claim to rate objectively (@AshleyNoirWhite and @Nirinbo) end up with ratings of 2/10 and 9/10 for the same show "Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso", respectively. Shouldn't those ratings be at least in the same ballpark for two "objective" raters?

Image: Two objectively rating MAL users, discussing during duckrabbit hunting season. Photo by Ludwig Wittgenstein, ca. 1920, colorized.
inimMar 31, 2021 1:32 AM

Mar 31, 2021 1:13 AM

Feb 2020
yes i try to do it but its impossile to be completely objective.
Mar 31, 2021 1:30 AM
Oct 2019
why would I rate objectively on this site, half of the reason I'm here is to discuss my personal opinions on anime
Mar 31, 2021 1:46 AM

May 2009
I try to rate objectively, only because I can easily enjoy any kind of genre. So to see variability on my list, I tend to rate objectively, as much as possible. Turns out, most of the time, I can only rate objectively for stories with heavy plots. Otherwise, it would depend on my enjoyment.

“I despise common sense.
I’ve seen the world from every possible angle.
This cruel, ridiculous, beautiful world.”

- Lacie Baskerville

||||
Mar 31, 2021 1:55 AM

Sep 2018
inim said:
AshleyNoirWhite said:
It's not without irony when two posters who claim to rate objectively (@AshleyNoirWhite and @Nirinbo) end up with ratings of 2/10 and 9/10 for the same show "Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso", respectively. Shouldn't those ratings be at least in the same ballpark for two "objective" raters?

Image: Two objective voters discussing during duckrabbit hunting season. Photo by Ludwig Wittgenstein, ca. 1920, colorized.

What? You should read my comments again, but just in case I'll explain again

- My ratings are 100% subjective and I warmly recommended everyone who isn't a professional reviewer to do the same.
- With that said, some kind of objectivity does exist. Just because we didn't study cinematography or literature and we aren't that capable of understanding what makes a script or a directing good or bad, it doesn't mean that everything is subjective.
- "Some kind of objectivity" still doesn't mean that someone can give 100% objective ratings, but that they can get closer to this ideal objectivity by giving a higher weight to the few aspects of an anime that aren't subjective.
- The best way to solve this dispute would be hearing the opinion of those who have a degree in cinematography or literature, or some other kind of expertise. "Everything is subjective, because some people may like to eat shit" doesn't sound like a good argument.
NirinboMar 31, 2021 1:59 AM
Mar 31, 2021 2:00 AM

Apr 2019
inim said:

Image: Two objective voters discussing during duckrabbit hunting season. Photo by Ludwig Wittgenstein, ca. 1920, colorized.
Nirinbo said:
- With that said, some kind of objectivity does exist. Just because we didn't study cinematography or literature and we aren't that capable of understanding what makes a script or a directing good or bad, it doesn't mean that everything is subjective.
- "Some kind of objectivity" still doesn't mean that someone can give 100% objective ratings, but that they can get closer to this ideal objectivity by giving a higher weight to the few aspects of an anime that aren't subjective.
Sorry if I misread your statement. But the point is "some kind of objective" is just a funny way to say "subjective". Because "mostly objective" has the same semantics as "mostly pregnant". I find it funny how so many people in this thread try to redefine the word "objective" in that sense.

Mar 31, 2021 2:36 AM

Sep 2018
inim said:
Sorry if I misread your statement. But the point is "some kind of objective" is just a funny way to say "subjective". Because "mostly objective" has the same semantics as "mostly pregnant". I find it funny how so many people in this thread try to redefine the word "objective" in that sense.

I don't think pregnancy is a good example, since a review based on sheer enjoyment is less objective than another backed up with solid arguments.

I think fuzzy logic works better here: 100% subjectivity exists, 100% objectivity doesn't, middle ground does exist. If you mean that the middle ground is still subjectivity I can't argue, since it is just a matter of semantics and once again the opinion of an expert would clear our doubts.
Mar 31, 2021 2:44 AM

Apr 2019
Nirinbo said:
inim said:

I don't think pregnancy is a good example, since a review based on sheer enjoyment is less objective than another backed up with solid arguments. I think fuzzy logic works better here: 100% subjectivity exists, 100% objectivity doesn't, middle ground does exist. If you mean that the middle ground is still subjectivity I can't argue, since it is just a matter of semantics and once again the opinion of an expert would clear our doubts.
I think it depends on the subject matter the opinions discussed are about. Take for example the opinion of an expert on economics about future growth. Those guys take hard data and numbers as input, and usually are responsible people. Yet, they disagree among each other. Similar for graduates of movie and literature college, of course highly trained and experienced critics still disagree fundamentally about works of art.

Where I agree is that writing a movie/anime critic in a professional way, with observations separated from opinion and in the know of the mechanics of film making, yields better results. But not in the sense that their opinion is less subjective. It is, however, more transparent how they arrived at it. So they make it easier and more "objective" to disagree with their subjective conclusions.

Mar 31, 2021 3:00 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
It is possible to rate backed by objective truth, you could for example rate shows based on the number or lesbian kiss scenes in relation to run time. Using this criteria I have come to the objective conclusion that Kanamewo is the best anime of all time.
Mar 31, 2021 3:53 AM

Sep 2018
inim said:
Nirinbo said:

I don't think pregnancy is a good example, since a review based on sheer enjoyment is less objective than another backed up with solid arguments. I think fuzzy logic works better here: 100% subjectivity exists, 100% objectivity doesn't, middle ground does exist. If you mean that the middle ground is still subjectivity I can't argue, since it is just a matter of semantics and once again the opinion of an expert would clear our doubts.
I think it depends on the subject matter the opinions discussed are about. Take for example the opinion of an expert on economics about future growth. Those guys take hard data and numbers as input, and usually are responsible people. Yet, they disagree among each other. Similar for graduates of movie and literature college, of course highly trained and experienced critics still disagree fundamentally about works of art.

Where I agree is that writing a movie/anime critic in a professional way, with observations separated from opinion and in the know of the mechanics of film making, yields better results. But not in the sense that their opinion is less subjective. It is, however, more transparent how they arrived at it. So they make it easier and more "objective" to disagree with their subjective conclusions.

If experts largely disagree on something, that something is part of the sphere of subjectivity by definition; other things may still be assessed objectively. Talking about 3DCG, no expert would ever think that Houseki no Kuni looks worse than Ex-Arm.
Mar 31, 2021 4:03 AM

Apr 2019
Nirinbo said:
inim said:

If experts largely disagree on something, that something is part of the sphere of subjectivity by definition; other things may still be assessed objectively. Talking about 3DCG, no expert would ever think that Houseki no Kuni looks worse than Ex-Arm.
I'm afraid that isn't true. Everybody can count the frequency of cuts per minute which is objective, but whether the critic praises it as "fast paced" or condemns it as "unnerving" is completely subjective. And Land of the Lustrous vs. Ex-Arm: Who precisely is an "expert", and who are you to consider some opinions to be better than others. Isn't that just another iteration of the same problem, because your opinion about experts is any bit as subjective as any other human opinion? It's a slippery slope you enter here which ends in Wittgenstein hell. Trust me, been there done that. Vulgo: Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one, and they are all functionally equal.

Mar 31, 2021 4:20 AM

Sep 2018
inim said:
Nirinbo said:

I'm afraid that isn't true. Everybody can count the frequency of cuts per minute which is objective, but whether the critic praises it as "fast paced" or condemns it as "unnerving" is completely subjective. And Land of the Lustrous vs. Ex-Arm: Who precisely is an "expert", and who are you to consider some opinions to be better than others. Isn't that just another iteration of the same problem, because your opinion about experts is any bit as subjective as any other human opinion? It's a slippery slope you enter here which ends in Wittgenstein hell. Trust me, been there done that. Vulgo: Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one, and they are all functionally equal.

Yeah, I think we reached a standstill. I might challenge you to find even one expert who thinks Ex-Arm looks better than Houseki no Kuni, but on the other hand I cannot demonstrate that 100% of experts agree on this matter (even if it doesn't seem unlikely).

In any case, what really matters is that we understood each others' points of view.
Mar 31, 2021 4:30 AM

Apr 2019
Nirinbo said:
inim said:

Yeah, I think we reached a standstill. I might challenge you to find even one expert who thinks Ex-Arm looks better than Houseki no Kuni, but on the other hand I cannot demonstrate that 100% of experts agree on this matter (even if it doesn't seem unlikely).

In any case, what really matters is that we understood each others' points of view.
Yup, very true. Oh and finding experts supporting my opinion is easy peasy when I can bring my own. That is how lobbyists operate all the time to make their subjective goals appear more objective. Same the other way around, suing Darth Vader at the Imperial Court will not produce objective results.

Mar 31, 2021 5:48 AM

Jun 2011
AnimeLeviathan said:
Energetic-Nova said:
I see a difference in rating based on quality and rating based on enjoyment.

Example, if I rated more objectively, meaning rating and reviewing by a set if standards with reasons, and not allow myself to rate End of Evangelion 1/10 because the art and animation and sound are all fantastic. Which yes, is an opinion but it doesn’t toss all of that out to call it hot Garbage and which is always what I want to do. I want to say “ this is shit and has no redeeming value” voice acting. Excellent. Beginning middle and end yes? Do I like the writing? No. I hate it.

I also wouldn’t rate Yuri on Ice so highly because it does have art flaws (going off model) and plot becomes tournament hell and feels the need to show each person compete rather than only focus on the people who matter. But I toss all that out and say 10/10 best anime ever.

Anime with no endings couldn’t be 10/10 if I rated objectively. Anime with poor pacing would have to be consistently marked down.

This is all opinions yes, subjective. But when we say objective it means a score determined by [evidence] and not just whatever you felt that final episode. And anime with a good start will be given credit for that start. An anime with a mediocre middle will have the score reflect this. And so on.

So if half of Naruto is filler garbage and the other half is masterpiece Battle Shounen it should only get a 5/10. But I gave it a 7/10.

“Objective reviews” keep in mind positive and negative qualities. And they consider audience members who are not them. It is I suppose, a kind of empathy. And the end score will reflect this.

Don't you think an "objective review" would be more describing the anime instead of rating it with words such as "bad" and "good"

Wouldn't you consider following other bias's a bias as well? Think about it. You are still using bias's, except this time translating another bias into a review that you made.

Nope.... I emphasize that I am a very “subjective” scorer and reviewer.

Because “objective review” is just an educated opinion even in science. The evidence is the anime itself.

Example of better practices would be judging anime on kishōtenketsu plot structure instead of Western Dramatic Structure.

How many times have you seen an anime reviewer talk about stakes and conflict and the MC should move the story?

Well those are western dramatic plot things. You can use knowledge of this to know if an anime fits it to predict hits. But you should be using Japanese 4 act structure to just most narratives.

Who is the narrator? Do you know what an interest POV is? Does it make good use of internal dialogue? Does it make good use of sequence shots? Cut in, cut away, ect...

But do you know what a layout is in anime? What is the difference between them and the background designer? And did the final sequences the characters moved in make sense? (Storyboarders)

Do the characters look of their world or are the characters seemingly floating and don’t look like they belong.

Do the wheels turn on the automobiles? Was there a mechanical designer? Or did they cut corners?

Have you thought about lighting? Color theory?

I may be way into cinematography and production design elements.

I guess it is more fair to say there is a difference between what we call the difference between Critique and Criticism/Review. Which I think is what people are always meaning when they say “Objective review” vs “Subjective review”

Words mean how people use them if they are used a certain way enough, they take on that meaning.

Example: people don’t think “edgy” means what the definition says. Usually people say it as an insult in anime space.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Mar 31, 2021 6:13 AM

Aug 2013
No, because there's no such thing like objectivity if it comes to art.

Objective are only facts.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Mar 31, 2021 10:34 AM

Nov 2007
i think there are four layers of significance when it comes to judging a creative work:

1) the context/circumstances of its creation, which includes how it was made, why it was made, what the popular taste is and how much it conforms, what social climate it was produced into (this is where our individual and cultural values come from to begin with, which is why we can say some creative works are "products of their time," or our interpretations of things change over time as values change).
2) the formal qualities of the work
3) the viewer's interpretation, taking 1 and 2 into consideration
4) the viewer's individual heartfelt reaction to and valuation of what they see

4 is the thing that cannot be debated. what a person values and finds beautiful is up to them, even if it may seem ridiculous to someone else.

2 and 1 however, are far more concrete. there can be variance in interpretations of meaning, but gross misjudgments about a circumstance or a formal element are typically quite clear. also, it is impossible for someone to hold two absolutely contradictory interpretations about what the formal elements mean, which would also imply that if two people disagree to the point of absolute contradiction about the formal elements' meaning, then one of them is making a bad judgment.

for example, take an anime like kemonozume. someone says "i don't like it (4) because the art is strange (2)." another may reply "well the art is strange on purpose (2). it's actually quite lame (4) that most art in the anime industry is restricted to these limited variations (1) of what's become standard and popular among fans in order to be palatable to a broad audience." the first viewer replies "that's a good point, but i still don't like it(4)." to which their insightful companion says "you're an idiot(3 + 4)." however, the first critic has a retort prepared for moments like this: "you're such an elitist (3+4)."

then a third viewer says "there's nothing strange about the art (2), it's absolutely typical of the anime industry standard (1)."

well clearly, this third person has a perspective that the majority of people would find bewildering. though perhaps with some difficulty, any person could make a broad assemblage of anime art and point to consistently (ab)used traits that kemonozume plainly ignores, while most anime apply some combination of them. there's still no sense in which this person is "objectively" wrong, because the issue at hand is actually their interpretation (3) based on 1 and 2. however, it's an interpretation MOST people wouldn't agree with, just based on the evidence. my point here is that we in fact do use evidence and have a sense of what are more or less compelling conclusions when it comes to interpreting anime. in other words, "subjective" doesn't really mean "can't be wrong" as many foolish people around here insist. we still don't know, also, whether this third viewer likes what they see or not (4), or how much so, which is the element of significance in a review that truly cannot be debated whatsoever.

i would also like to add that some people will think layer 1, the social/circumstantial layer is absolutely of no importance whatsoever in criticizing a creative work. however, i think these days, you will find that most people DO find 1 important, and a person who doesn't find 1 important will not have their opinion taken as seriously by other "serious" critics, for better or for worse. whether we take 1 as important or not is a matter of our own values and what we think about the purpose and functions of creative works in society, which comes from our education and experience regarding the matter. if two people disagree about the meaning of an anime and they don't agree on the significance of layer 1, it ca (and there's nothing silly or embarrassing about it if it does) result in a serious discussion. then it's "not about anime anymore," and people may come along and say things like "relax, it's just anime." but saying "it's just anime" is not a satisfying answer to the person who takes layer 1 as important, because "it's just anime" PRESUPPOSES 1 is not important, and there is no definitive reason 1 should not be taken as important. if there were, the argument wouldn't have happened in the first place. even people who agree layer 1 is important may not agree on the exact significance of it, the extent to which it's important, or why. it's unlikely that people who disagree on the importance of 1 will come to any reconciliation in the course of a brief internet forum discussion :,(

to use another example that will probably toast some peoples' oats (fill in the numbers yourself this time, if you wish):

a person who doesn't know anything about this image might look at it and say "this is a rather bizarrely stylized, erotic drawing of a child in a tub."

a more distinguished, so called "man of culture" might reply "actually, as far as anime goes, this style is quite typical and appealing, and this character is actually 598 years old according to the author of the source material, despite her appearance."

a third, yet more distinguished historian of anime and japanese erotica might come along and add "well, in the same way that toshio maeda adopted the use of tentacles in lieu of penises to skirt censorship law, this strategy of drawing a child but attributing to the character an age that doesn't quite suit their appearance, leaning on the excuse that 'anything can be true in a work of fantasy,' was conceived for much the same purpose. in this sense, we can say that the artist knows what he/she is drawing and is building a time-tested failsafe into it to prevent censorship and deflect moral criticism, on account of what is apparently depicted, that being a child's body."

from there we get into debates about the limits and functions of consciousness itself. can a person be aroused by a drawing without being aroused by the real life analog that the drawing is meant to evoke? or in other words, is lolicon actually different from pedophilia in terms of what the object of desire is? is being attracted to children immoral if desire is outside of one's control (in that case, who is in control of it? is desire purely instinctual, or learned? why do we desire all kinds of things that are unnatural, manmade? why do we seem to desire things all the more when society says we aren't supposed to?), or is it only bringing the fantasy to bear onto actual children that is immoral? do the images we're inundated with contribute in any way to the fantasies we are capable of conceiving? do they in any way shape our cultural beliefs and the limits of our thoughts? if not, then does that mean that there were lolicon (people aroused by drawings of "lolis") before lolicon (art featuring "lolis") was ever drawn, or did the invention of lolicon art and the explosion of its popularity coincide with the birth of the lolicon fan? do people like lolicon because it is popular, or is it popular because people like it, or is it some combination of those?

these sorts of questions about how images and symbols, the individual mind, and collective culture are related are extremely important to us, and we are inclined to believe that there are definitive answers to them. not only that, but they clearly guide how we interpret the significance and effects of creative works both on the whole, as well as on a case by case basis. we happen to disagree on them, based on our own limited, perspectival insights, but there is only one truth of the matter, though the truth may shift over time like consciousness itself. if art has no affect on reality, why do so many people consider it and try to wield it as a tool for political and social change, or for the elucidation of complex ideas more generally? if it does have an effect on reality, what kind of effect? is it a deterministic, or a merely potential effect? does it depend on the vigilance of the viewer? if we have to be careful about what we express in art, where can people be free to express their darkest and most taboo thoughts, those which occupy their conscience, and perhaps torment them, but which they would never act on in reality? are people free to express what they want in anime in the first place, given its role as a tightly constrained commodity?

tl;dr i do not rate objectively (which is, as many have said, not possible), but i try to take a broad view that considers 1-4.
Mar 31, 2021 10:44 AM

Jul 2020
ohohohohohoho said:
i think there are four layers of significance when it comes to judging a creative work:

1) the context/circumstances of its creation, which includes how it was made, why it was made, what the popular taste is and how much it conforms, what social climate it was produced into (this is where our individual and cultural values come from to begin with, which is why we can say some creative works are "products of their time," or our interpretations of things change over time as values change).

4 is the thing that cannot be debated. what a person values and finds beautiful is up to them, even if it may seem ridiculous to someone else.

2 and 1 however, are far more concrete. there can be variance in interpretations of meaning, but gross misjudgments about a circumstance or a formal element are typically quite clear. also, it is impossible for someone to hold two absolutely contradictory interpretations about what the formal elements mean, which would also imply that if two people disagree to the point of absolute contradiction about the formal elements' meaning, then one of them is making a bad judgment.

for example, take an anime like kemonozume. someone says "i don't like it (4) because the art is strange (2)." another may reply "well the art is strange on purpose (2). it's actually quite lame (4) that most art in the anime industry is restricted to these limited variations (1) of what's become standard and popular among fans in order to be palatable to a broad audience." the first viewer replies "that's a good point, but i still don't like it(4)." to which their insightful companion says "you're an idiot(3 + 4)." however, the first critic has a retort prepared for moments like this: "you're such an elitist (3+4)."

then a third viewer says "there's nothing strange about the art (2), it's absolutely typical of the anime industry standard (1)."

well clearly, this third person has a perspective that the majority of people would find bewildering. though perhaps with some difficulty, any person could make a broad assemblage of anime art and point to consistently (ab)used traits that kemonozume plainly ignores, while most anime apply some combination of them. there's still no sense in which this person is "objectively" wrong, because the issue at hand is actually their interpretation (3) based on 1 and 2. however, it's an interpretation MOST people wouldn't agree with, just based on the evidence. my point here is that we in fact do use evidence and have a sense of what are more or less compelling conclusions when it comes to interpreting anime. in other words, "subjective" doesn't really mean "can't be wrong" as many foolish people around here insist. we still don't know, also, whether this third viewer likes what they see or not (4), or how much so, which is the element of significance in a review that truly cannot be debated whatsoever.

i would also like to add that some people will think layer 1, the social/circumstantial layer is absolutely of no importance whatsoever in criticizing a creative work. however, i think these days, you will find that most people DO find 1 important, and a person who doesn't find 1 important will not have their opinion taken as seriously by other "serious" critics, for better or for worse. whether we take 1 as important or not is a matter of our own values and what we think about the purpose and functions of creative works in society, which comes from our education and experience regarding the matter. if two people disagree about the meaning of an anime and they don't agree on the significance of layer 1, it ca (and there's nothing silly or embarrassing about it if it does) result in a serious discussion. then it's "not about anime anymore," and people may come along and say things like "relax, it's just anime." but saying "it's just anime" is not a satisfying answer to the person who takes layer 1 as important, because "it's just anime" PRESUPPOSES 1 is not important, and there is no definitive reason 1 should not be taken as important. if there were, the argument wouldn't have happened in the first place. even people who agree layer 1 is important may not agree on the exact significance of it, the extent to which it's important, or why. it's unlikely that people who disagree on the importance of 1 will come to any reconciliation in the course of a brief internet forum discussion :,(

to use another example that will probably toast some peoples' oats (fill in the numbers yourself this time, if you wish):

a person who doesn't know anything about this image might look at it and say "this is a rather bizarrely stylized, erotic drawing of a child in a tub."

a more distinguished, so called "man of culture" might reply "actually, as far as anime goes, this style is quite typical and appealing, and this character is actually 598 years old according to the author of the source material, despite her appearance."

a third, yet more distinguished historian of anime and japanese erotica might come along and add "well, in the same way that toshio maeda adopted the use of tentacles in lieu of penises to skirt censorship law, this strategy of drawing a child but attributing to the character an age that doesn't quite suit their appearance, leaning on the excuse that 'anything can be true in a work of fantasy,' was conceived for much the same purpose. in this sense, we can say that the artist knows what he/she is drawing and is building a time-tested failsafe into it to prevent censorship and deflect moral criticism, on account of what is apparently depicted, that being a child's body."

from there we get into debates about the limits and functions of consciousness itself. can a person be aroused by a drawing without being aroused by the real life analog that the drawing is meant to evoke? or in other words, is lolicon actually different from pedophilia in terms of what the object of desire is? is being attracted to children immoral if desire is outside of one's control (in that case, who is in control of it? is desire purely instinctual, or learned? why do we desire all kinds of things that are unnatural, manmade? why do we seem to desire things all the more when society says we aren't supposed to?), or is it only bringing the fantasy to bear onto actual children that is immoral? do the images we're inundated with contribute in any way to the fantasies we are capable of conceiving? do they in any way shape our cultural beliefs and the limits of our thoughts? if not, then does that mean that there were lolicon (people aroused by drawings of "lolis") before lolicon (art featuring "lolis") was ever drawn, or did the invention of lolicon art and the explosion of its popularity coincide with the birth of the lolicon fan? do people like lolicon because it is popular, or is it popular because people like it, or is it some combination of those?

these sorts of questions about how images and symbols, the individual mind, and collective culture are related are extremely important to us, and we are inclined to believe that there are definitive answers to them. not only that, but they clearly guide how we interpret the significance and effects of creative works both on the whole, as well as on a case by case basis. we happen to disagree on them, based on our own limited, perspectival insights, but there is only one truth of the matter, though the truth may shift over time like consciousness itself. if art has no affect on reality, why do so many people consider it and try to wield it as a tool for political and social change, or for the elucidation of complex ideas more generally? if it does have an effect on reality, what kind of effect? is it a deterministic, or a merely potential effect? does it depend on the vigilance of the viewer? if we have to be careful about what we express in art, where can people be free to express their darkest and most taboo thoughts, those which occupy their conscience, and perhaps torment them, but which they would never act on in reality? are people free to express what they want in anime in the first place, given its role as a tightly constrained commodity?

tl;dr i do not rate objectively (which is, as many have said, not possible), but i try to take a broad view that considers 1-4.

Wow. This is the best explaination I've seen thus far. Thanks!
I gave up on character of the week since it takes too much thinking. I'll just change my forum pfp to whoever I want every week lol.
Mar 31, 2021 11:10 AM

Jul 2019
No and I think they should be put in a concentration camp. If you're trying to rate something 'objectively' then you are not even rating it. You are describing it. "Objectively, this anime is 12 hours long, there are 10 characters with 2 being main characters."
Mar 31, 2021 11:27 AM

Oct 2017
I try to rate based on a mix of how overall it was handled, and how much I enjoyed. This is how I gave Beyblade a 7, show makes me excited, but the dub is shit and i have no sub access
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Mar 31, 2021 11:39 AM

Aug 2018
1. There is no such thing as opinions are subjective 2. It's called myanimelist so I am going to rate things based on my opinion and not anybody else's
_______I like rocks__
Mar 31, 2021 11:40 AM

Oct 2018
Maybe 90% subjectively, 10% objectively. I do sometimes find myself thinking about things objectively even if I don't want to, but anyways, I rate subjectively for the most part.

Mar 31, 2021 11:53 AM

Oct 2017
The whole issue gets in to some murky philosophical territory. But here's some thoughts.

Anyone who tries to rate purely objectively is lying to themselves. It can't be done.

Rating purely subjectively is fine, but in my opinion doesn't do justice the idea of a rating system, by ignoring the influence of ones own taste.

The best rating systems should combine both approaches. Don't try to fight against your taste, that's a waste of time. Rather, use your subjective opinion as a base, then adjust based on more objective factors where you try and put aside personal feelings and look for things which give value to other people. Because it is precisely the ability of a work to provide deep value to individuals that should dictate its value as art. Note how I say deep value, not broad value. This is debatable, but I think art which appeals to a large amount of people in a shallow way is less valuable than art which appeals to a small number of people in a deep way. The former is usually just lowest-common denominator trite.

I use a 3-factor rating system. I rate each factor rate out of 5. Then add up the scores to get an x/15, which I map to a 1-10 system in a non-linear way. Anyway, the three factors are:

1. Personal enjoyment. Easy.
2. Production value. Not just raw animation or art quality, which, although I give them some weight, are often just how much money and how recently something was made. There's no true artistry there. I put more weight on things like direction, use of sound and music, and similar artistic factors which rely more on the talent of the people involved than how much money they had to work with.
3. Conceptual value. This is combination of things such as emotional depth (Clannad), philosophical depth (Girls Last Tour), and boldness / risk taking / uniqueness (Symphogear).

With 2 and 3 there is room for me to look past my subjective opinion and try to find more "objective" ways to alter my final score.
YossaRedMageMar 31, 2021 12:46 PM
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Mar 31, 2021 12:30 PM

Jan 2020
I try to.

For the most part I try to allot a couple of points to sound and animation as my way of countering some of my bias towards characters and plot. So even if I don't particularly like how the story is, I can be like, "Well at least it's not a bunch of stick figures hopping frantically about across the screen screaming at each other." As long as it looks presentable and it's not like a bunch of loud static buzzing from my speakers, it's generally not scored as low as 1-4.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Mar 31, 2021 1:33 PM
Jul 2018
Why should I do that? Watching Anime isn't my job and I don't care what people think of my opinions on shows.
Mar 31, 2021 3:11 PM

Oct 2017
Overalll I rate subjectively, but the objective part of the show is where the enjoyment comes from most of the time. Not many people like poorly made shows and it's very recognisable that's the case.
Mar 31, 2021 4:39 PM

Jun 2020
I do not try to rate objectively purely, or rather it is impossible for me to do so. I think it would be around 60% subjectivity and 40% objectivity, or maybe even 70/30. First, I rate the show subjectively or on enjoyment. I then try to factor in the objective stuff to either raise or lower the score. I don't really do any math, I just follow what I wrote down explaining what each score means to me.

People who think that they rate objectively or think they are capable of rating 100% objectively are full of themselves imo.

I also wouldn't rate a sol show like k-on the same way id try to rate deathnote or something
Eb4nMar 31, 2021 4:55 PM
Mar 31, 2021 4:50 PM

Dec 2019
On one hand yes, and on the other no.
I'm trying out this new "method" of rating where I rate an anime objectively and subjectively. What I mean by this is that I'll rate the anime critically (objectively) and then rate it on how much I enjoyed it/loved it (my opinion). Then I find the mean score, or combine it and that's my final score. For example, if objectively something is a 7/10 but I enjoyed it so much that I gave it a 9/10, I'll give it a 8/10. Or combine it and make it 16/20, which is the same score.
There are exceptions to this however, like this one hentai that I enjoyed so much that I just had to give it a 10.

Edit: Now realizing how stupid this sounds. Also you can't really rate something objectively because that's also an opinion if that makes sense.
Mar 31, 2021 5:10 PM
Aug 2015
Most of the people here went too straight to the false conception of objectivity that is part of one´s speech but I think that whoever asked this question (and a much more interesting question to make a poll of) is:
When you rate a series do you rate it purely based on enjoyment or do you use arguments to sustain your decision? in other words, do you rate series thinking you are merely writing out how you feel about a series or you think of yourself as some sort of anime critic (without this being necesarily bad or a pretentious thing)

I think its just too dificult to rate series for stale ranking sistems like some do (characters, story, music, animation, etc) mostly because different series aim for different things and I fell it would be unfair to test them all by the same rules, so I rate them purely of what I feel when I finish them and use the words that come with the numbers here, much easier and meaningful to say: "Yeah I think this series is Very good", than to say "that´s a 8 out of 10".
Mar 31, 2021 5:19 PM
Aug 2015
ohohohohohoho said:

Damn this is a godtier post mamma mía
Mar 31, 2021 5:21 PM

Jun 2019
While I try to be objective to the best of my abilities, I ultimately fail. Because in the end, even if a manga/anime has setbacks, if it truly moved me, then I'm giving it a good score. For example, I know Ao Haru Ride is not a manga without any flaws, but to me it's a masterpiece. It's one of those stories that lasted with me for a long time. My mind is still nagging me to give Devilman: Crybaby a 10/10, but I've settled at an 8 because I know it's not absolutely perfect. Either way, it depends on how I feel? This wasn't really an answer.
Mar 31, 2021 5:28 PM
Master Otaku

Mar 2009
Way too many narcs on this site have an average cumulative rating in the 4s, 5s, and 6s for their lists. It's kind of pathetic they hate so many anime and only like a small amount. It's crazy they call themselves otakus.
- Justin T. Poindexter
Mar 31, 2021 5:32 PM

Jul 2020
Justp94 said:
Way too many narcs on this site have an average cumulative rating in the 4s, 5s, and 6s for their lists. It's kind of pathetic they hate so many anime and only like a small amount. It's crazy they call themselves otakus.

I feel like im being called out... Are you calling me out?
I gave up on character of the week since it takes too much thinking. I'll just change my forum pfp to whoever I want every week lol.
Mar 31, 2021 5:36 PM
Master Otaku

Mar 2009
taylormoo said:
While I try to be objective to the best of my abilities, I ultimately fail. Because in the end, even if a manga/anime has setbacks, if it truly moved me, then I'm giving it a good score. For example, I know Ao Haru Ride is not a manga without any flaws, but to me it's a masterpiece. It's one of those stories that lasted with me for a long time. My mind is still nagging me to give Devilman: Crybaby a 10/10, but I've settled at an 8 because I know it's not absolutely perfect. Either way, it depends on how I feel? This wasn't really an answer.

I feel that... Though some are personal favorites and are really THAT good, at least in my opinion, so I give them a 10/10.
- I gave Devilman crybaby a 9 because I enjoyed it that much, while it is closer to an 8,I rounded up.

While most series I thoroughly enjoyed get a 9,series that are really good, but not quite a 9 for me, get an 8,as well as series that are between a 7-8 I used an enjoyment factor to determine if I'm going to round down or up.

I rarely, if ever, finish an anime I consider 6 or below. However, I'm objective and usually give in 4-6 range because I see why some people could enjoy it and believe others who watch anime based on rating, should consider it too.
- Justin T. Poindexter
Mar 31, 2021 5:38 PM
Sep 2020
I find it possible to rate things objectively. All of you have to do is rate it based on observations and be descriptive of what you write and at least be unbiased of it. It is true that it can be subjective, but it's only to a certain extent. What makes it subjective is that a big part of rating things objectively comes from interpretations which is the source of objective and descriptive writing. So to say, it has methods of both subjectivity and objectivity, but in the end, it just becomes object if you don't put too much bias on it.
Mar 31, 2021 5:39 PM

Aug 2018
Justp94 said:

Whoa... it looks like someone gave an average of over 8 for their anime, with about half of them being 9 or 10. I think that is way too generous.
Mar 31, 2021 5:42 PM
Master Otaku

Mar 2009
AnimeLeviathan said:
Justp94 said:

Hahaha no, I just checked out your completed list, a lot of your ratings are somewhat legit/understandable.

I still don't understand why people don't drop anime they don't like though, like something they'd consider in the 1 - 5 range.
- Justin T. Poindexter
Mar 31, 2021 5:43 PM

Oct 2015
Yeah, let me just use my predilection and stance on a subject matter that would surely not be huckstered.

Ratings are completely irrelevant, listen to the words people will and should give. A 4/10 score wouldn't speak any volumes regarding their criticism, be it biased or not. The important thing to remember, everyone will have their piece of mind onto something and that's fine. The important part is if it's impressionable, understandable, and convincing; whether you agree or not. At the end of the day, it is more important to scrutinize it however you like and there is nothing wrong about that. Everyone has their own angle, the best way I see opinions will always be like an ocular device; everyone sees the same thing, but the colors will be different for different lenses. Even the more polymaths will see things and understand things differently, and most definitely enjoy things differently.

Bottom line is, I just slap a score that I feel about the show and call it a day. No harm done, unless someone who is choleric and be mad about the score breathe from your neck, but that's not my problem.

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Mar 31, 2021 5:47 PM
Master Otaku

Mar 2009
Opticflash said:
Justp94 said:

Whoa... it looks like someone gave an average of over 8 for their anime, with about half of them being 9 or 10. I think that is way too generous.

It's fine if you don't thoroughly enjoy the anime you watch, anything 1-5 should be dropped. My ratings are so high because I drop the anime I dislike and usually only see 3-6 episodes of that show before dropping them.

It's all percentages baby.
- Justin T. Poindexter
Mar 31, 2021 5:47 PM

Jul 2020
Justp94 said:
AnimeLeviathan said:

Hahaha no, I just checked out your completed list, a lot of your ratings are somewhat legit/understandable.

I still don't understand why people don't drop anime they don't like though, like something they'd consider in the 1 - 5 range.

I don't really like to drop animes once I get past the 3 episode mark. Im a new anime fan(Started watching around May-June last year) so a lot of the animes I rated a 1-5 I watched in the fall or even before that. I was basically trying to test the waters, see what I enjoy, what I don't enjoy. And lastly, I was stupid as fuck so I didn't realize I actually found an anime extremely boring up until near the end.
Mar 31, 2021 5:49 PM
Master Otaku

Mar 2009
-Lofn- said:
Yeah, let me just use my predilection and stance on a subject matter that would surely not be huckstered.

Ratings are completely irrelevant, listen to the words people will and should give. A 4/10 score wouldn't speak any volumes regarding their criticism, be it biased or not. The important thing to remember, everyone will have their piece of mind onto something and that's fine. The important part is if it's impressionable, understandable, and convincing; whether you agree or not. At the end of the day, it is more important to scrutinize it however you like and there is nothing wrong about that. Everyone has their own angle, the best way I see opinions will always be like an ocular device; everyone sees the same thing, but the colors will be different for different lenses. Even the more polymaths will see things and understand things differently, and most definitely enjoy things differently.

Bottom line is, I just slap a score that I feel about the show and call it a day. No harm done, unless someone who is choleric and be mad about the score breathe from your neck, but that's not my problem.

Agreed.

I'll still never understand why people would complete a 24 episode series they consider to be a 3/10 though. Makes zero sense lol.
- Justin T. Poindexter
Mar 31, 2021 5:50 PM
Dec 2019
Fuck "objectivity". If I like it then it's good. If i like it a lot then it's a masterpiece.
Mar 31, 2021 5:51 PM

Apr 2020
bruh just rate it based on your enjoyment but if the technical details and objectivity of a show is notable (either exceptionally good or exceptionally bad) then keep it mind when rating

your rating shouldn't be 100% objectively based

ㅤ ᅠㅤ join the
ᅠHayasaka club =>

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

26 by FanofAction »»
5 minutes ago

» What if Your Favourite Anime had the Flaws of Your Least Favourite Anime?

APolygons2 - 1 hour ago

15 by NubFix »»
5 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

33 by -YaoiBoy- »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 25

70 by Merve2Love »»
7 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 1 hour ago

4 by SaiteiDaOrette »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.