Forum Settings
Forums

MAL (Community) Has Officially Lost the Plot

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Mar 7, 2021 3:50 PM

Dec 2012
Damn, this is actually looking pretty based. Hamtaro's spiritual successor has at last risen.
Mar 7, 2021 3:51 PM

May 2010
z00nex said:
Johan said:

Define fun? Does it deserve a higher aggregate rating then the ones I mentioned- and a plethora of ones I didnt? Gantz was a fun show. Wouldn't expect to see it higher than those shows either. High School of the Dead was fun too. Not being hostile i'm asking.
Johan said:

I don't understand the point you're making though. My point is that show is superbly overrated, and you present more evidence corroborating my case.
Topic is "MAL has officially lost the plot" and I'm saying that it's not some random ratings on MAL, it's a generally liked show. My definition of fun is how much I enjoy watching those shows. To be honest, I enjoy Pui Pui Molcar more than I did Katanagatari. Even though I liked Katanagatari, 40 minutes long episodes were hell.

The themes Katanagatari was exploring and nature of the series (12 episodes to recover 12 swords) kind of required the 40 minute episodes as well as to develop the character chemistry between Togame and Shichika - culminating with Eps 11 and 12 which are 2 of the best consecutive episodes of anime of all time.

CHEERIO~

What themes does Pui Pui Molcar explore. Wash you car? LMAO.

I know its a generally liked show, as Mcdonalds has generally liked burgers and fries. What part are you not getting here?

If anyone does not love the Lord
Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Mar 7, 2021 3:56 PM

Sep 2019
Johan said:
z00nex said:
Topic is "MAL has officially lost the plot" and I'm saying that it's not some random ratings on MAL, it's a generally liked show. My definition of fun is how much I enjoy watching those shows. To be honest, I enjoy Pui Pui Molcar more than I did Katanagatari. Even though I liked Katanagatari, 40 minutes long episodes were hell.

The themes Katanagatari was exploring and nature of the series (12 episodes to recover 12 swords) kind of required the 40 minute episodes as well as to develop the character chemistry between Togame and Shichika - culminating with Eps 11 and 12 which are 2 of the best consecutive episodes of anime of all time.

CHEERIO~

I know its a generally liked show, as Mcdonalds has generally liked burgers and fries. What part are you not getting here?
Why would Pui Pui Molcar need to explore some themes lol. It's a fun 1~3 minutes/episode long anime to lean back and watch.
Mar 7, 2021 3:59 PM

May 2010
z00nex said:
Johan said:

CHEERIO~

Why would Pui Pui Molcar need to explore some themes lol. It's a fun 1~3 minutes/episode long anime to lean back and watch.

Well that's partly why I asked you to define "fun".

First of all I don't have fun with it- the concept is wholly absurd , secondly the random cuts to cringy Koreans dancing in the backseat make it actually difficult to watch at times.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Mar 7, 2021 3:59 PM

Nov 2019
Just read the top review, they are literally making a joke.
Mar 7, 2021 4:02 PM

Mar 2019
Pretty sure its score will go down gradually. No need to throw a fit and blame everyone here.

I play BanG Dream! Girls Band Party

Garupa EN ID: 10759829
Garupa JP ID: 36753163
Mar 7, 2021 4:03 PM

May 2010
Mention-2 said:
Pretty sure its score will go down gradually. No need to throw a fit and blame everyone here.

Oh there's a very great reason to throw a fit. Actually several hundred reasons - tho I only bothered to name 4 or 5 in my OP.

Also I didn't blame "everyone" specifically but "everyone" as a whole. There's a difference.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Mar 7, 2021 4:04 PM
May 2016
At least this show is not a generic shounen or an anime with girls with breasts bigger than their heads.
Mar 7, 2021 4:05 PM

Sep 2019
Johan said:
z00nex said:

Well that's partly why I asked you to define "fun".

First of all I don't have fun with it- the concept is wholly absurd , secondly the random cuts to cringy Koreans dancing in the backseat make it actually difficult to watch at times.
You can't expect a show to entertain everyone. I'm not a fan of those people either but that doesn't take my enjoyment away.
Mar 7, 2021 4:05 PM

May 2010
amarcioz said:
At least this show is not a generic shounen or an anime with girls with breasts bigger than their heads.

Those are most likely better tbh. I can't think of many shounen worse than this.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Mar 7, 2021 4:20 PM

Aug 2018
I dont get you, just because Digibro said that SAO is bad doesnt mean hes wrong, he also drinks water and breaths, are those wrong too?

I dont have complaints about what you said overall(I do agree), but saying that SAO is a masterpiece, when you could simply say its one of your favorite anime, makes me question your judgement
Mar 7, 2021 4:25 PM

Dec 2016
I hope the show makes it in the top 10.
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Mar 7, 2021 4:41 PM

Dec 2012
I watched the first episode and now I'm in tears. Truly an inspiring message about honoring society's heroes and saving lives. 10/10 easiest one I've ever given.
Mar 7, 2021 4:43 PM

Feb 2014
If you truly hate the show being in the top 200, you can of course do the same thing as any other people and try to convince people to action. In other words, get them to rate in the opposite direction. You can also try to convince people to put what you think should be in the top 200 there.

Regardless, it's a transient process that doesn't wholly exist dependent on you or any other group of people you disagree with. Everyone has an equal vote here.
Mar 7, 2021 4:45 PM

Nov 2018
i dont understand a single thing ab this thread
well
maybe cus i didnt completely read it

wtf is happening im lost
Mar 7, 2021 4:54 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
What's really sad is to see this ranking above other stop-motion masterpieces. Why can’t my boy Norman the Snowman be in the top 100? 🙁
Mar 7, 2021 4:56 PM

Jan 2020
I haven't seen it but wow.. A 8.38 rating?

Mar 7, 2021 4:57 PM

Feb 2014
Johan said:

That is true, and trust me I've thought about this. I lack the kind of popular influence though to kind of do something like that. As you can kinda gather I'm not one for making large groups of friends lol

Honest advice would be to study rhetoric theory and tools. A good place to start down the rabbit hole might be this paper (Rhetoric in Democracy: A Systemic Appreciation) and look at papers that cite this one. What you're engaging in your posts is 'bonding' rhetoric, so you're only really speaking to people who already agree with you. If you want to convince people to action, you probably need to figure out how to 'bridge the gap' with your speech.
Mar 7, 2021 4:57 PM

May 2010
Kwanthemaster said:
What's really sad is to see this ranking above other stop-motion masterpieces. Why can’t my boy Norman the Snowman be in the top 100? 🙁

LOL THE TOP 100. Don't get carried away. But ya, Norman is multiple fold better than Pui Pui.

ManWild said:
I haven't seen it but wow.. A 8.38 rating?

AOTS they said, AOTY they said.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Mar 7, 2021 5:06 PM
Aug 2020
Your favorites list is mostly trash and you used autsism as an insult. I don't think your post here should be taken seriously.

I haven't seen Pui Pui Molcar but it unironically looks great.
Mar 7, 2021 5:13 PM

Mar 2019
Surprised this thread hasn't got deleted or locked yet lol

I play BanG Dream! Girls Band Party

Garupa EN ID: 10759829
Garupa JP ID: 36753163
Mar 7, 2021 5:18 PM

May 2010
Mention-2 said:
Surprised this thread hasn't got deleted or locked yet lol

Me too. IF Ardanaz or Brandon were still mods it would have been locked the second they saw I was the OP.

That being said, why does this thread need to be locked? It's encouraged plenty of discussion - it's over 120 posts in less than 3 hrs.

I mean... I do understand I could kinda make a posts about clouds and it would get this much attention as well lol.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Mar 7, 2021 5:20 PM

Feb 2014
Johan said:

Me too. IF Ardanaz or Brandon were still mods it would have been locked the second they saw I was the OP.

That being said, why does this thread need to be locked? It's encouraged plenty of discussion - it's over 120 posts in less than 3 hrs.

I mean... I do understand I could kinda make a posts about clouds and it would get this much attention as well lol.

I think it also generated a lot of personal attacks against people, not just propagated by you. Some of the attacks were directed at you as well. I think you wrote pretty early on that it doesn't matter to you either way but I still think is something that's mentioned in the forum rules as a general no-no.
Mar 7, 2021 5:23 PM

May 2010
Jinkaku_Nijuu said:
Johan said:

I think it also generated a lot of personal attacks against people, not just propagated by you. Some of the attacks were directed at you as well. I think you wrote pretty early on that it doesn't matter to you either way but I still think is something that's mentioned in the forum rules as a general no-no.

I've never regulated my threads, I've never reported any replies, and i wholly welcome all replies- regardless of their substance, veracity, or intelligence. I don't see any unique problem here. Why do we have to be snowflakes and lock or delete threads for any reason? The thread and OP itself is valid.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Mar 7, 2021 5:27 PM

Aug 2018
Thank you for the salty recommendation, dude. Will watch a bit when I have the time.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Mar 7, 2021 5:28 PM

May 2010
Timz0r said:
Thank you for the salty recommendation, dude. Will watch a bit when I have the time.

Well hopefully you don't have any time.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Mar 7, 2021 5:30 PM

Feb 2014
Johan said:

I've never regulated my threads, I've never reported any replies, and i wholly welcome all replies- regardless of their substance, veracity, or intelligence. I don't see any unique problem here. Why do we have to be snowflakes and lock or delete threads for any reason? The thread and OP itself is valid.

Yep, I'm not saying that you're not consistent nor that you have a not valid opinion on how to engage in discussions. But a lot of discussions here are off-topic from the first post, like in the case where people are bickering about which shows they like/dislike that are unrelated to the one you mention. It makes it somewhat hard to see a relevant discussion through-line and makes it confused when there are multiple arguments going on.

In addition, and I had to look up the rule, in the forum guidelines it lists this:

3. Trolling, abuse and/or harassment of any community member (user or moderator) will not be tolerated.

Calling people 'autists' or denigrating users for their preferences (e.g. SAO in your case) is probably breaking this rule.

That being said, I don't really mind 'aggressive' conversations but I don't really come to MAL for that. I think there are better platforms to engage in the type of discussion you want where you won't be censored/locked for doing so.

EDIT: This conversation is also unrelated to the first post. Lol.
Mar 7, 2021 5:35 PM

May 2010
Jinkaku_Nijuu said:
Johan said:

Yep, I'm not saying that you're not consistent nor that you have a not valid opinion on how to engage in discussions. But a lot of discussions here are off-topic from the first post, like in the case where people are bickering about which shows they like/dislike that are unrelated to the one you mention. It makes it somewhat hard to see a relevant discussion through-line and makes it confused when there are multiple arguments going on.

In addition, and I had to look up the rule, in the forum guidelines it lists this:

3. Trolling, abuse and/or harassment of any community member (user or moderator) will not be tolerated.

Calling people 'autists' or denigrating users for their preferences (e.g. SAO in your case) is probably breaking this rule.

That being said, I don't really mind 'aggressive' conversations but I don't really come to MAL for that. I think there are better platforms to engage in the type of discussion you want where you won't be censored/locked for doing so.

EDIT: This conversation is also unrelated to the first post. Lol.

You realise i've been on MAL since 2010 right? I'm very familiar with the rules. Also, i disagree that this conversation is unrelated. IT's related to whether the very thread i created should be locked or not, which I wholly disagree with.

Also you only have 95 posts in 7 years, so it doesn't seem like conversations of ANY kind on MAL are what you're here for.

The way i see it; if my threads or replies are bothersome don't reply. Or reply and bitch about it, but expect to be met with a response lol.

I don't mind either way.

Ignore my threads, attack my threads; it's all fine to me.

I disagree that there's any abuse or harrassment going on here. That would have to be targeted, repetitive attacks towards a member. There's nothing in this thread that even comes close to that.

The closest instance would probably be my exchange with Crow_Black, but there's no reason to report it or moan about it. lmao.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
CravenlockMar 9, 2021 9:32 PM

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Mar 7, 2021 5:41 PM

Feb 2014
Johan said:

You realise i've been on MAL since 2010 right? I'm very familiar with the rules. Also, i disagree that this conversation is unrelated. IT's related to whether the very thread i created should be locked or not, which I wholly disagree with.

Also you only have 95 posts in 7 years, so it doesn't seem like conversations of ANY kind on MAL are what you're here for.

The way i see it; if my threads or replies are bothersome don't reply. Or reply and bitch about it, but expect to be met with a response lol.

I don't mind either way.

Ignore my threads, attack my threads; it's all fine to me.

I disagree that there's any abuse or harrassment going on here. That would have to be targeted, repetitive attacks towards a member. There's nothing in this thread that even comes close to that.

The closest instance would probably be my exchange with Crow_Black, but there's no reason to report it or moan about it. lmao.

Yep, just want to be clear that I'm not really arguing something ideal here, nor that you should change your behavior - just explaining since you said you were confused why someone or a moderator might choose to lock this thread. But who knows, I'm not a mod and also I didn't make the rule. I also assume you are acquainted with the rules but either (1) don't understand them since you've had your threads locked in the past or (2) don't care about them. I think it's perfectly valid to break rules you don't agree with but simultaneously it seems weird to be confused about the punitive measures that follow.

Also I similarily have been on MAL for a long time, but this is not my first account. I don't think my lack of posts is a good indicator considering this is the internet.
Mar 7, 2021 6:00 PM
Aug 2019
What you trying to get at tho. I watched like the first 5 eps and its actually pretty good. Just cuz it doesn't have some sort of crazy plot or story doesn't mean people can't like it.
Mar 7, 2021 6:06 PM

May 2010
Joemama_qt said:
What you trying to get at tho. I watched like the first 5 eps and its actually pretty good. Just cuz it doesn't have some sort of crazy plot or story doesn't mean people can't like it.

These responses are always the weirdest. Where did i say or even imply someone can't "like" it?

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Mar 7, 2021 6:16 PM
Aug 2019
Johan said:
Joemama_qt said:

These responses are always the weirdest. Where did i say or even imply someone can't "like" it?
I would get you if the story/animation was ex-arm quality of shit, but surprisingly I'm enjoyed this so and I'm sure others are as well. Even if the amount of 10's is retard; so what?
Mar 7, 2021 6:21 PM

Jul 2013
It's a kawaii anime which is easy to watch and has universal appeal. It's an entertaining show and that's all that really matters.

It plays a niche very well and I think you should re-evaluate things when you're getting upset over an anime which has under 4000 members and ranks #7201th~ in popularity
I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Mar 7, 2021 6:46 PM
Apr 2020
Pui Pui Molcar is actually unironically great though

Despite the toxic nature of this thread, I am happy that more people are finding out about it through it
Mar 7, 2021 7:01 PM

Jul 2020
First off you shouldn't care about rankings as the majority of it are based off of enjoyment.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Mar 7, 2021 7:13 PM
Jan 2012
I don't know what the hell you're on about, MAL hasn't changed at all. Half of MAL's threads are repackaged versions of "I'm gonna whine because people like/do things a different way than I do".

Seriously, why do you people love bitching about rankings so much? Is it that fun? Am I missing out here?

Also I have to imagine OP is an actual fan of this show playing 5D chess, or just doesn't know about the Streisand Effect. Most of us wouldn't even know this show existed before this thread.
Mar 7, 2021 7:27 PM
May 2020
Wait, this thread is still going?
Damn, you OP must be using some pay to win perks.
Mar 7, 2021 9:20 PM

Nov 2015
This is SoL, so the plot doesn't matter anyway.
and i guess

that i just don't know
Mar 7, 2021 9:33 PM
Jul 2018
Sounds like OP got filtered by cute aggression.
Mar 7, 2021 11:48 PM

Jul 2019
It looks really cute I kinda want to watch it now...
Life is a despicable endurance race
Mar 8, 2021 12:05 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Breaking news: MyAnimelistList in disarray after a few hundreds users likes different crap from the community approved crap.
Mar 8, 2021 12:12 AM

Jun 2012
Imagine taking MAL rankings seriously.
Mar 8, 2021 12:18 AM

Dec 2020
As long as Tenkuu Danzai Skelter+Heaven is still the lowest-ranked anime, I still consider mal as a reliable site to browse anime.

I wasted all my time in rewatching to the point of my rewatch total is higher than my overall anime total lmao
Mar 8, 2021 12:25 AM

Dec 2018
OP kinda has a point... Actually why is a stop motion animation meant for kids even considered "anime"? This is like Bob the Builder or Thomas the Tank Engine... How do you even rank these against animes? It's like ranking a bath soap against a detergent...
Mar 8, 2021 4:54 AM

Jul 2017
Johan said:
When you sort anime on MAL by aggregate score I regret to inform y'all that "Pui Pui Molcar" an absurd show about CGI hamsters shaped like vehicles now finds itself cemented in the top 200 with a score that's rising daily. At first I thought it was a meme, or being boosted by what I call "Irony 10s" untiil I started reading the actual reviews and forum posts and came to the aneurysm inducing conclusion that these people are actually serious.

Yes, folks. A 2 minute show about CGI hamsters shaped as cars that randomnly cuts to cringy Koreans (real living Koreans) in the backseat of these things dancing is now ranked AHEAD of actual masterpieces such as Gankutsuo, Shinsekai Yori, Katanagatari, and honestly God knows what else.

MAL has reached peak levels of autism and officially lost the plot.

Congrats, I didn't think y'all could go any lower.

I'm going to give Pui Pui Molcar a 10/10 just because of this thread. Thank you for introducing me to this masterpiece.

Mar 8, 2021 6:23 AM

Dec 2018
laslodj said:
Johan said:
When you sort anime on MAL by aggregate score I regret to inform y'all that "Pui Pui Molcar" an absurd show about CGI hamsters shaped like vehicles now finds itself cemented in the top 200 with a score that's rising daily. At first I thought it was a meme, or being boosted by what I call "Irony 10s" untiil I started reading the actual reviews and forum posts and came to the aneurysm inducing conclusion that these people are actually serious.

Yes, folks. A 2 minute show about CGI hamsters shaped as cars that randomnly cuts to cringy Koreans (real living Koreans) in the backseat of these things dancing is now ranked AHEAD of actual masterpieces such as Gankutsuo, Shinsekai Yori, Katanagatari, and honestly God knows what else.

MAL has reached peak levels of autism and officially lost the plot.

Congrats, I didn't think y'all could go any lower.

I'm going to give Pui Pui Molcar a 10/10 just because of this thread. Thank you for introducing me to this masterpiece.

Ok I'll go give it a 1 to balance you out
Mar 8, 2021 7:14 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I've entered a weird state where I actually feel happy when Johan makes a thread or makes his presence felt in one

It'll inevitably turn into a completely irredeemable dumpster fire, sure, but it's a refreshing change of pace from the sheer repetitiveness of most topics on this board

give me this over some shinobu or 8man profile picture giving their revolutionary new vapid one line response in a thread i've probably seen 1,000+ times in the past 5 years

Mar 8, 2021 7:18 AM

Dec 2018
Manaban said:
I've entered a weird state where I actually feel happy when Johan makes a thread or makes his presence felt in one

It'll inevitably turn into a completely irredeemable dumpster fire, sure, but it's a refreshing change of pace from the sheer repetitiveness of most topics on this board

give me this over some shinobu or 8man profile picture giving their revolutionary new vapid one line response in a thread i've probably seen 1,000+ times in the past 5 years

Yes, fellow lover of cyber popcorn! Here, have a bucket, it's a mix of salted and caramelised.
Mar 8, 2021 7:21 AM
Oct 2020
Yes, yes. People are mad that people can game the system. Seriously, scores are a joke most of the time, and so are many reviews that just feel like either pretentious bull or hilarious sarcasm (and the rare unironic "I love this animu so much I will marry it and get it pregnant" review) . Face it, we're not sophisticated enough to be given access to a numerical rating system that goes up to 10. We're literally weebs.
Mar 8, 2021 7:21 AM
Shattered Angel

Mar 2015
sekaiwaKIREI said:
well holo no graffiti is 8+ rated so honestly i'm not surprised.

Kinda facts though. I just found out about that show earlier today AND I had the exact same thought when I read the original post lol.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Does seinen anime focus on other things besides ultra manliness?

fallout45 - 1 hour ago

16 by tchitchouan »»
1 minute ago

» Thoughts on Date a live harem plot

DOOMGuYMi5js - 6 minutes ago

0 by DOOMGuYMi5js »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Current MAL Top Favorited Anime

LittleStar - 2 hours ago

18 by BitChilly »»
18 minutes ago

» According to MAL, what are your anime hidden gems? ( 1 2 )

NoelleIsSleepy - May 2

89 by YukizoraHonoka »»
23 minutes ago

» Opinions on the state of the BL genre? ( 1 2 )

decco6226 - May 2

61 by Maou_heika »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.