Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 11, 2021 4:53 PM

Sep 2016
Can someone explain to me how anyone took a look at episode 1 and went? "Yah this is good enough to a 10 or 9."

The demon was a CGI monstrosity

Any sense of urgency from the manga is just gone.

And the episode somehow pacing that's schizoid but somehow manages to feel like it's wading through waist-high water.

The hunter looks like a goofy cross between bondrwd's furry form and slender man with his legs cut off.

I need to know why. Please help me understand this.
I've surpassed your limit!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 11, 2021 4:56 PM

Aug 2018
I cannot really tell what is good CGI or not. I do not know the sense of urgency from the manga. I do not know the pacing in the manga as I have not read the manga. I do not see a problem with the hunter.

I gave the first episode a 7. Others gave it an 8+.
Jan 11, 2021 4:56 PM
Jul 2019
I know that this is quite typical of MAL users and I'm not surprised by the inflated score. I don't think you'll find any reasons as to why it is currently an "8" out of 10.
Jan 11, 2021 4:58 PM

Aug 2016
While I haven't rated it I will say that it was interesting imo, not boring, CGI looked fine, I don't know anything about the manga, pacing seemed was fine for me, hunters design also looked fine imo.
Jan 11, 2021 5:33 PM
Dec 2020
Fan girls will pad the show, I’m a manga reader and I feel like if I hadn’t read the manga I would’ve enjoyed the episode more but idk. The pacing is really fast which makes sense for how many episodes they’re making (only ten more) you’d think last season was popular enough for a 16-24 episode season to fix all of it. If this first episode is the regular then it won’t be a very good season, especially when they’re adapting my least favorite arcs before ending at goldy pond. And not to mention that the slower pacing made the arcs enjoyable in the manga
said the lolicon bastard
Jan 11, 2021 7:16 PM

Feb 2018
>Taking MAL scores seriously
Stop worrying about glorified opinions and just like what you like m8.
Jan 11, 2021 8:33 PM
Jun 2019
The CGI monster was only showed during the night time so most of the skin textures weren't visible so only its movements felt awkward.
Complaining about the hunter's design just sounds like nitpicking.
I agree all sense of urgency is gone from the show now that we have monsters instead of actual terrifying humans.
Jan 11, 2021 8:40 PM
May 2020
I see a lot of people hating on here and for the dumbest reasons too lol.

the anime started off quick with action off the bat and it never died down, even at the end you were left wondering what was next.

yall just some haters fr lol

and the cgi was good stop trynna be elitist, if yall wanna see bad cgi go watch berzerk or zodiac wars, I swear yall find a reason to hate on anything,

it's an 8 for a reason, deal with it.
Jan 11, 2021 11:51 PM
Nov 2020
Not everyone has read the manga and not everyone will.

So these people are pretty unaffected from expectations of the manga and base their opinions on what they see and learn from the anime adaption.

I am one of these people and I actually don’t have a problem with the pacing at all, the cgi wasn’t the worst either and I rlly like the character designs so far. It’s pretty enjoyable.

In overall is this matter the same as with movie adaptions of books. The books (in this case manga) are just always better, so you should just appreciate what they make out of it and don’t whine abt the changes too much.

Like it or like it not. It’s totally ok to have a different opinion!
Jan 12, 2021 5:31 AM

Mar 2019
iorn said:
Can someone explain to me how anyone took a look at episode 1 and went? "Yah this is good enough to a 10 or 9."

No. Use your brain and think for yourself.
Jan 12, 2021 7:44 AM

Dec 2017
iorn said:

Says someone who gave aot final season a 9.
❝Kabo-chan is ran by the MAL staff team and does not respond to individual comments made on her profile.❞
I was immensely devastated.
Jan 12, 2021 11:14 AM
May 2020
Im not saying this is a bad episode.. i reallyyy wanted to like this.. heck the manga has one of my top 5 arcs ever (goldy pond's so good yall) its just disappointing that they adapt it in a way that makes it worse, since they couldve just not change that much, and itll be way better.

but positives first i guess.. THAT OPENING AND ENDING SONG IS A BANGER OHMY.. okay thatsit negatives next

this was way too fast.. even thinking about it without manga bias, it is still too fast.. they gloss over alot of stuff.. this results on it skimming stuff i feel wouldve been better to focus more on... adding time can add tension to something, yet the tension here, is there, but leaves too quickly to actually leave an impression .. oh and the exposition in this.. is just bad.. imean, anime isnt really known to have shows with good exposition, so i kid you not when i say this just takes that to a whole another level...

the book part especially felt very tacked on... a random kid sees a plant that she said looked familiar, then all of a sudden they all remember "ah yes its that plant from that random book", then they explain it in the blandest way possible.. sure, they do that "ah i remember that" thing in the manga too... but that was in the AMAZING CAVE SNAKE SCENE WHY DAHECK IS THIS NOT IN THE ANIME, so it felt like the protags remembering something from their past... and they couldve made this scene linger longer to make it feel like theyre deducing that its from this book we never heard of.. but no.. 2 1/2 minutes and thats it...

thats my main problem in this episode.. they introduce so many things, yet everything felt undercooked.. the manga did a great job of introducing a new world to the previously grace field house only setting of the last arc.. it felt real.. and the stuff that happened felt intense... then the anime says screw it and crams 8 chapters worth of worldbuilding to one episode

so.. how bout the other parts... the animations was fine... the voice acting was meh, it didnt have the nuance i feel that the 1st season had.. but i also feel thats because of the lines they have.. coz their lines suck... theres "a say it with me 123" scene thats.. tbh so cringe, normal people dont do that.. i dont do that when i tell my family i have water in my jug... it sticks out so much since the 1st season has SO GOOD DIALOGUE.. it had subtlety to it, and the way it was delivered was also excellent. but no.. the show an "im atleast that smart" joke, and its just.. so bad.. and worst of all.. NONE OF THIS IS IN THE MANGA, IF YOU COULDNT MAKE BETTER DIALOGUE, THEN YOU SHOULDVE JUST KEPT THE ACTUALLY WITTY DIALOGUE FROM THE MANGA.

oh.. and the monster was bad, coz of the textures... snk s4 titans work since theres nothing to blend, its all 2d.. this on the other hand, has a fully cg model rendered in a dark plain.. its bad.. technically and visually.. its like the black panther final battle of anime... considering how the beast demons will be very crucial to later arcs, i just hope the 3d models get better

overall... as a massive fan of the manga, and with s1 being one of my favorite shonen jump adaptations.. s2 ep 1 is just.. distractingly mediocre... and very bad when compared to what it was and what it couldve become.. yet again.. this is the 1st episode.. the next eps might surprise me...

BUT NO THE DAMAGE HAS BEEN DONE, YOU REMOVED THE SNAKE CAVE SEQUENCE... IT SERVED A VERY GOOD PURPOSE, AND GAVE EXPOSITION IN AN EXCITING WAY BUT NOW EVERYONE WILL THINK THIS MASTERPIECE OF A SCENE WAS UNNECESSARY... WHY DID YOU REMOVE THIS WHYY
Jan 12, 2021 12:22 PM

Sep 2016
[
Vague0 said:
iorn said:

Fine, you got me there.

Jan 12, 2021 1:10 PM

Feb 2018
Once again, finding out that MAL users are unable to properly use 1-10 scale (even though meaning of each number is explained). I simply assume that if anime is rated x it can be anywhere between x-3 to x to me and I recommend it to you as well.
Jan 12, 2021 5:19 PM
Apr 2020
I don’t read the manga, so I don’t know about pacing or skipping things. To me the episode was very solid. Cgi wasn’t that bad imo. If the story gets intriguing, the storytelling is good and the plot gets better as the series progresses, I don’t see why it doesn’t deserve an 8.
Jan 12, 2021 5:22 PM

May 2020
Just focus on what you like smh, everyone has different opinions
Jan 12, 2021 7:16 PM

Aug 2020
idk what to say about this yet. I think I need a good 3-5 episodes to judge it. So far it's okay. A fair score based on how high the last season was.

to be fair to op, aot's cg is way better than the demon in ep 1.
Jan 12, 2021 7:18 PM

Jan 2020
I was actually pretty disappointed with the whole demon thing, because horror with demons isn't really horror, more action.
I wasn't impressed by the first episode except for the visuals of all the children and music. But it did get a lot better towards the end.
You jump to the right and you shake that hand

You jump to the left and you shake that hand

Meet new friends

Tie that yarn

And that's how you do the Scarn

Woo
Jan 12, 2021 7:24 PM

Nov 2020
i don't rate things until i finish them, but bad cgi monsters are kinda a staple in anime today since it's more cost-effective. the cgi in aot isn't good either, but i still think the show's amazing. unless the cgi takes center stage, i think this season will be pretty good from the little i've read in the manga.
Jan 12, 2021 8:52 PM
Oct 2018
maykennay said:
i don't rate things until i finish them, but bad cgi monsters are kinda a staple in anime today since it's more cost-effective. the cgi in aot isn't good either, but i still think the show's amazing. unless the cgi takes center stage, i think this season will be pretty good from the little i've read in the manga.

The cgi in aot is way better than that
Jan 12, 2021 9:48 PM

Nov 2020
jaiveer_ said:
maykennay said:

The cgi in aot is way better than that

the stuff by mappa definitely, the colossal titan in previous seasons, however, was not amazing. at the same time, mappa is putting more cg in than before, so i'm not a fan of it. the cgi monster in this episode didn't look good, but they're also probably not going to use a lot of cg, so it doesn't really bother me.
Jan 13, 2021 12:24 AM
Nov 2019
Vague0 said:
iorn said:

Attack on titan is actually good tho
Jan 13, 2021 6:59 AM

Jun 2016
Slick-Mick101 said:
Vague0 said:

The CGI in AOT has been pretty trash tbh
Jan 13, 2021 7:40 AM

Jul 2013
You watched it with the perspective of a manga reader. Not everyone read the manga. I personally thought it was enjoyable throughout and nothing was off. Don't worry too much about average scores. There are many anime that I personally think deserve a higher score, but in the end people have different perspectives and standards.
Jan 13, 2021 7:45 AM
Nov 2019
GotehLoteh said:
Slick-Mick101 said:
The CGI in AOT has been pretty trash tbh
its better than any cgi i've seen so far in animated series
Jan 13, 2021 9:07 AM

May 2020
Opticflash said:
I cannot really tell what is good CGI or not. I do not know the sense of urgency from the manga. I do not know the pacing in the manga as I have not read the manga. I do not see a problem with the hunter.

I gave the first episode a 7. Others gave it an 8+.

u should watch berserk than u can compare with this one haha
Jan 13, 2021 9:26 AM
May 2019
shegoth said:
I know that this is quite typical of MAL users and I'm not surprised by the inflated score. I don't think you'll find any reasons as to why it is currently an "8" out of 10.

Funny that u say that cuz you gave it an 8 yourself. Care to explain?
Jan 13, 2021 9:29 AM

Sep 2013
I liked the cgi,didn't feel off and i'm a no no cgi normally

There's much much worse cgi in higher budgets animes so i don't really care for it.
Deep dark fantasies
Jan 13, 2021 1:13 PM

Oct 2015
You basically are frustrated in one way or another and are presenting your point of view to others as facts. Nothing new here on MAL though.
Jan 13, 2021 1:29 PM
Sep 2017
thats almost the same i wrote in my Episode 1 Review . I also think thats disappointing compared to the manga , they did such a good job in the first season but that was pure garbage .
Jan 13, 2021 2:21 PM
May 2020
I rate stuff on how much I enjoy them, idc about fancy cgi or pacing or all of that. As long as it's fun, it's good in my eyes
Jan 14, 2021 3:32 AM

Jul 2019
Bruh why do u guys care soo much about cgi like daym

Jan 14, 2021 6:50 AM

Apr 2016
I gave the first episode a 5/10 just for Ray and Emma interaction. All of the manga's vibes is kinda gone. CGI monster was a total disaster. And new opening is pretty bad imo
Jan 14, 2021 6:55 AM

Jul 2013
Can someone send me a picture and or gif of this cgi monstrosity? I am too lazy to scroll through the entire episode and am just curious.
Jan 14, 2021 8:31 AM

Jan 2018
Yea it really isn't an 8 right now. I loved the first season but that whole first half was BORING. Second half upped it a little but it's just too stupid. Realistically 90% of these literal fetuses would have died already.
Jan 14, 2021 8:38 AM
作画

Nov 2019
the score is so incomprehensibly high because this show itself is overhyped
Jan 14, 2021 1:12 PM
Sep 2020
wakenowakane said:
Vague0 said:

Lol we gottem bois

I mean, I'm also liking aot final season, but this cgi was quite worse xD. Putting it on night light so that it doesn't look awful, ñrerry intelligent move thou
Jan 14, 2021 5:25 PM
Dec 2019
iorn said:

And the episode somehow pacing that's schizoid but somehow manages to feel like it's wading through waist-high water.

The hunter looks like a goofy cross between bondrwd's furry form and slender man with his legs cut off.

Honestly, who cares about the ratings in the beginning of a seasonal anime?

Second, the cgi was indeed a bit awkward. However, it wasnt a complete monstrosity.

Third, the pacing was imo a bit fast, but they didn't skip a lot from the manga. At least not many significant things. Maybe a bit more explanation about william minerva could have been nice for the anime only peeps.

Fourth, I actually like the models for the rescuers. They are pretty consistent with the manga.
Jan 14, 2021 5:56 PM

Mar 2012
iorn said:

It's because of a bandwagon effect. Big shows always get very high scores in just 1-3 episodes (JJK, Dr Stone, AoT, etc.) even if we can't yet gauge how good the season will be. I honestly thought the pilot to this season was pretty underwhelming and deserving of a 6/10 at most, but MAL scores are usually either too generous with big shows, or too low on unpopular shows. For this reason I don't take a series' MAL score that seriously. This isn't as good of an indicator as, say, Rotten Tomatoes.
Jan 15, 2021 3:22 AM
Sep 2019
The CGI was perfectly serviceable it’s not Berserk (2016) bad but it’s not Demon Slayer levels of good. Moving passed the CGI the episode still had a sense of urgency it’s a neat reintroduction, it’s not too shit and it’s not too good, an 8 is simply for being decent, not badly paced (IMO) not badly written and not badly animated. I haven’t read the manga but I still liked everything that happened in the episode and was on board with all of it.
Jan 15, 2021 6:05 AM
Oct 2019
Because it just continuation from a Great Series... Simple as that

Also don't stress too much about MAL score, even the shittiest Anime you will see people rate it 10 or 9
Jan 15, 2021 1:42 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Blblblbl said:
Once again, finding out that MAL users are unable to properly use 1-10 scale (even though meaning of each number is explained). I simply assume that if anime is rated x it can be anywhere between x-3 to x to me and I recommend it to you as well.

Nah, that score is definitely not for me.
Anything that is a 6 is something I would watch but only if I was bored, and since we have so many choices, I do say the same for most 7s.

I m not in the business of putting my time here and only mildly enjoying shit, would rather not watch anime then.

Would have to go after literal garbage, to give something lower than 5-6.
Anything below a 6 for is something I would only watch if I literally had zero stuff else going on, or zero worries in my life.
Jan 16, 2021 11:07 AM
Aug 2020
just rate it what you think it should be rated. If someone else rates it a 10, well then that’s just them. It’s not like scores matter that much anyway, if you like the show, you like it, if you don’t like the show, you don’t like it.
Why do people have to make these stupid threads in the first place?? I see them with aot s4 as well
Jan 16, 2021 11:27 AM

May 2019
~ Trolling Content Thread is always successful ~
Jan 16, 2021 2:09 PM

May 2020
iorn said:

You say that and gives attack on titan final season a 9

if this isnt supposed to be a troll thread then its sad

Jan 16, 2021 9:21 PM

Mar 2019
praisethevillain said:

This is the perfect reply. Its hilarious that people go out of there way to cry over scores and ratings online like it somehow changes absolutely anything.
Jan 17, 2021 3:52 PM

Mar 2017
why is it so difficult for you to comprehend the concept of having opinions? what makes your opinion of this season actually matter? why are you getting so mad that someone enjoyed something more than you?
E3 2077

The elderly Todd Howard waddles on stage, he's breathing heavily, he looks like he could die at any moment. He presses a button and whispers "enjoy fallout 5". He collapses. Suddenly warning sirens go off, the conference hall closes off. A explosion is heard in the distance.

200 years later...

The first residents of vault E3 are long dead, but their descendants open the doors, it was exactly like Todd had promised.
Jan 17, 2021 6:45 PM

Jul 2016
Em, nothing new on MAL tbh. Just look at aot fans clicking 10 after 1 ep xD and other series starting with high score and ending with 1-1.5 lower one.
Just wait...
Jan 17, 2021 7:21 PM

Sep 2016
HypJii said:
why is it so difficult for you to comprehend the concept of having opinions? what makes your opinion of this season actually matter? why are you getting so mad that someone enjoyed something more than you?

Comprehension of the opinion not having the opinion.

Since I have a colorful collection of people on this thread I decided I'll answer them all here.

Aside from the statements I really don't care about. I'll 6 words at max for each.

praisethevillain said:

That's an assumption. I don't care.

HelProcks said:
Just focus on what you like smh, everyone has different opinions

I know that and I do.

rizqy96 said:
You watched it with the perspective of a manga reader. Not everyone read the manga. I personally thought it was enjoyable throughout and nothing was off. Don't worry too much about average scores. There are many anime that I personally think deserve a higher score, but in the end people have different perspectives and standards.

Some standards are low.

Pro_Bokuto_simp said:
just rate it what you think it should be rated. If someone else rates it a 10, well then that’s just them. It’s not like scores matter that much anyway, if you like the show, you like it, if you don’t like the show, you don’t like it.
Why do people have to make these stupid threads in the first place?? I see them with aot s4 as well

For discussion.

kirb45623 said:
iorn said:

You say that and gives attack on titan final season a 9

if this isnt supposed to be a troll thread then its sad

It's sad that you would respond.

Kinhyouzoku said:
Em, nothing new on MAL tbh. Just look at aot fans clicking 10 after 1 ep xD and other series starting with high score and ending with 1-1.5 lower one.
Just wait...

Not my argument.

HypJii said:

-kicks todd in the mouth-

------------------

Sadly the six-word rule keeps me from further expressing myself. If only it didn't exist.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
KuniiJan 21, 2021 6:18 PM
Jan 18, 2021 3:43 AM

Aug 2017
praisethevillain said:

this ^

and also i'm pretty sure once the anime ends the score will be at around where season 1 was maybe a bit lower because people who have watched s1 will most likely also like s2 so there will be lesser people in general who will give it a bad rating. another thing is judging from episode 2 pacing will be normal most likely so that won’t be an issue. maybe you should’ve not watched it from the start if you’re that critical about it that you created a fucking thread about the series' score. Jeez some peoole don't know what to do with their spare time.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Does this anime have the most wasted potential?

aod-kun - Mar 10, 2023

25 by 7k72 »»
Apr 11, 6:19 AM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland 2nd Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Jan 28, 2021

419 by chocomayu »»
Mar 7, 1:15 AM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland 2nd Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2021

244 by Yanarsen »»
Mar 5, 3:27 PM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2021

220 by Yanarsen »»
Mar 5, 2:45 PM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2021

505 by Jiborjas »»
Feb 15, 2:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.