Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 4, 2021 7:30 AM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
If there's one thing that I require you to turn off your senses from: it's the Yuri fest, because it's more than that.

This premiere episode was just like watching ID:Invaded all over again, just with less finesse.

Arc 1: the Wiggle-Waggles / Kunekune urban legend. It definitely has the sci-fi mystery elements strewn around, but an "Otherside" world filled with various urbam legends, I really want to know what's the entire deal with that. The same could be said for the relationship of Toriko and Sorao, from strangers to partners-in-crime.

AFAIK, this premiere episode adapts the 1st 2 chapters of the manga (even though LN readers will know how great is the source material), seems like it's going for the arc approach.

The OP heralded by CHiCO with HoneyWorks is pretty good, same with the ED.

Really giving me a scare for such a start, but I can't wait to see more of this.

Liden Films, No. 2 of 4 shows logged. But a co-production with Felix Film (handling 3DCG), EHHHH not the best but passable.
KANLen09Jan 5, 2021 10:09 AM
Jan 4, 2021 7:32 AM
Jul 2018
KANLen09 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
If there's one thing that I require you to turn off your senses from: it's the Yuri fest, because it's more than that.

The mystery and sci-fi elements were really done very well, and the same could be said for the relationship of Toriko and Sorao.

AFAIK, this premiere episode adapts the 1st 2 chapters of the manga, seems like it's going for the arc approach.

Really giving me a scare for such a start, but I really can't wait to see more of this.

I thought you had said the first 2 chapters of the novel at first and I nearly shat myself lol
Jan 4, 2021 7:35 AM

Feb 2018
Kunekune hunting

I don't understand this story, it seems I will have to wait a little longer to understand stuff like this. I only understand that the elevator can connect to the urasekai (idk how i called it). It's an old urban legend that you can go to the urasekai by pressing the elevator button according to a certain rule, but it's scary to visualize it. It will be interesting if the world is in your grasp.

Just a little surprised that it is IOS, I still haven't seen any meaningful Yuri scenes or maybe I missed it? Ma, that was a good fight.
Jan 4, 2021 7:40 AM

Jul 2017
@Syureria AFAIK, this is inspired from this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadside_Picnic

So it adds the whole mystery, adventure fantasy element to it.

@p4rad0x- LEL I forgot to add it in on the last minute, as LN readers they will be pissed at me 1st if I left it as is.
Jan 4, 2021 7:43 AM

Apr 2020
This is a good Yuri anime, Currently, it's a pretty atmosphere animation, so it's important to get started with Yuri, XD

I really like the opening song, CHICO with Honeyworks is the best, imo

Toriko, a girl with high communicative competence, is attractive and cute because she somehow overlaps with Sorao.
KaisekiJan 4, 2021 7:49 AM
Jan 4, 2021 7:58 AM
Jul 2018
ooh, this story looks pretty interesting. mc is pretty cool and i like his outfit. characters seem nice too, looking forward to this series. the premise is nice and production quality is solid
Jan 4, 2021 8:00 AM

Apr 2019
really nice op and ed. Seems we have some yuri, always welcome! These kunekune are a pretty weird existence. Seems you can fight them if you can't see them. Whatever you do don't look at them. Those cubes they drop are pretty cool too. Mirroring everything except you...

There are multiple ways to get to the isekai huh. so is this an isekai or not?? bgm is really good too, really immersive.

Jan 4, 2021 8:00 AM

Feb 2018
That's still hard for me... Look like this series will on my droplist, but thanks My Lord.
Jan 4, 2021 8:03 AM

Feb 2010
The art is good, (not as good as the manga and novel, though)
The voice acting is great,
The BGM is excellent,
but the way they protray the story is...mediocre.

a series that combine sci-fi, horror, and yuri, hope that they will do it better.
Jan 4, 2021 8:08 AM
Jul 2018
Klar_Tsuki said:
2077 said:
ooh, this story looks pretty interesting. mc is pretty cool and i like his outfit. characters seem nice too, looking forward to this series. the premise is nice and production quality is solid

His? Both MCs are girls...

i see, i missed the yuri tag lol. the mc looked pretty androgynous but i guess that makes sense xD
Jan 4, 2021 8:14 AM

Jul 2017
The first episode was... there. A tad boring for me since I wasn't particularly interested in the world and characters but nothing offensive either. A slow start but not necessarily a terrible one since the show does take time for the world and events to become more clearer. Not particularly in love with Toriko or Sowaro but they weren't annoying or bad either, and had a few moments of decent potential chemistry wise.

I did have some sort of a problem with the visuals though. The cutaways from 2D to 3D animation used were so laughably bad (like when Toriko had to put Sowaro down to the ground early on), no consistency whatsoever, even just frames of the girls in long shots look stiff as hell. At least the voice acting for the girls were good for the most part.

Any CHiCO With Honeyworks OP song is great, and this OP song is no exception. Really nice and upbeat and catchy as usual from them. The ED song is nice too.

Overall, it wasn't a good start for me, haven't read the novels but I have read the manga and I felt that was a bit better due to the art.
Jan 4, 2021 8:24 AM

May 2020
Now this is What I'm waiting for
Very nice it finally aired
Jan 4, 2021 8:24 AM

Apr 2014
It's nice to have more yuri anime which is very good.
The story looks nice and interesting. You can go to the isekai easily by pressing the elevator or open some random door.

CHiCO With Honeyworks OP is very nice, but I prefer the ED.
何それ?意味分かんない
Jan 4, 2021 8:27 AM
May 2020
Wasn't the best episode, but I feel like this has a lot of potential.

The CGI is pretty off putting though.
Jan 4, 2021 8:32 AM

Feb 2019
Yeah, I knew it would be hard to convey the atmosphere and overall feeling of the source to the adaptation. The production values aren't that low, to be honest, but the Kunekune arc in this episode just felt... Lackluster. No tension, what, even when taking into account the different rules under which different media operate, should be one of the most essential reactions to incite in viewers in a thriller.

In the source, you could from the get go feel that the Kunekune is dangerous, even when you don't know much about it, but, in this episode, it didn't have that weight. I'd say that's because when you experience the POV of someone who's frightened, you can feel the anxiety. Visual media can't rely on that. It's hard to translate it into a visual medium without using, you know, medium appropriate means to convey that anxious, lingering feeling. Changing very little could have done a lot more, like a closer inspection of the corpse by the dirt path to notice the fingers were trying to rip the eyes out (I'm pretty sure they were portrayed as being on the forehead) would also serve as a lampshade for future episodes. Or not making multiple kunekune just pop into existence like a pokemon, but instead being only one far away, barely still on screen, coming slowly closer, then they notice it. Visual suspense is built on elongation, on letting beats linger, I couldn't see that effort.

Still, I was surprised by the visuals (despite the janky CG in distant view shots) and the voice acting wasn't half as bad as it could've been. BGM felt a bit off at times, but did most of the work on the 'spook building' front. My biggest gripes are with how they're building - or not building - the atmosphere and the suspense so far.
KosmonautJan 4, 2021 8:43 AM
Jan 4, 2021 8:32 AM

May 2020
From the first few mins got a mixed vibes of Death Stranding and Made in abyss goddamn
Jan 4, 2021 8:33 AM
Jul 2018
I thought that story wise it did a pretty good job of adapting the first chapter of the novel, however the 3DCG is extremely jarring. You can tell that they didn't really have the best budget if the first episode is using 3DCG in places that don't need it at all. Wish a better studio did the adaptation for this :/

@Kosmonaut agree with you 100%, I feel like a more gritty artstyle would have done wonders for the anime
Jan 4, 2021 8:40 AM
Aug 2020
This looks interesting, definitely better than the yuri anime we got last season.
Jan 4, 2021 8:45 AM

Oct 2017
That was pretty intriguing premise. The other world kinda reminds me of distortion world from Pokemon Platinum.

The girls are cute and quite brave too. I like the concept of the show and it was a bit spooky in some scenes which I really liked. Looking forward to more.
Jan 4, 2021 8:46 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Quite the weird show so far, the OST is pretty good and it has some interesting ideas but it still feels quite strange, but not in a bad way, I think it's fine for a first episode now I want to see how it will develop for the next ones
Jan 4, 2021 8:47 AM

Jun 2019
Pretty amazing first episode. Hope it'll stay the same way. Toriko and Sorao are pretty good characters from the looks of it. Didn't really understand the concept from the first episode. But will keep looking for it. Also, the OP was really good.
Jan 4, 2021 8:48 AM

Nov 2016
Went in 100% blind and I honestly expected the sci-fi and mystery elements just to be half-baked backdrop for the girl chemistry, but it's overall nice for now.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 4, 2021 8:49 AM

Aug 2020
The 3D scenes were funny but it would've been better if they were actually hand-drawn. The elevator scene was kinda scary because Toriko looked very suspicious pressing the buttons. That aside they look good together.
Jan 4, 2021 8:54 AM

Jul 2019
Feels like a mix of Future Diary and Stranger Things for some reason. So far so good. I can see this failing though for some reason. Hoping for that not to be the case.
Jan 4, 2021 9:03 AM

Sep 2019
I heard that the yuri in this show is slow from a lot people so I don't have any expectations on that side. The story looks promising, it can be a really good show. The only problem I had with this episode was the animation, what the fuck was that CGI?
Jan 4, 2021 9:06 AM

Jun 2014
Not explaining jack shit regarding the Otherside made everything feel so random, the writing in this really drags it down. I'll have to drop it.
:3
Jan 4, 2021 9:08 AM

Feb 2019
This and Horimiya probably my most anticipated non sequels of the season. Excited winter is finally upon us.

First episode was... different. I really don’t know how to describe it. It’s certainly an experience. I think the CGI was bad a few points, but the regular art and animation was pretty good.

Story wise, I’m really intrigued. This is unlike anything I’ve ever read or seen. I like the narrative style so far.

Realistically, it’s yuri, so it’s getting an 8 minimum unless they fuck it up badly.
Jan 4, 2021 9:08 AM
Jul 2018
Alright!
Starting winter 2021... my first time watching seasonals... pretty meh. I mean, Yuri Sci-Fi is great, but the 3DCG in some shots was just appalling.
Really hoping for better animation, but OST is fine and the premise is somewhat interesting, so I guess I'll stick around.
Jan 4, 2021 9:14 AM

Oct 2011
The "yuri of the landscape" the creator talked about in an interview linked in another MAL thread was really visible here. I like the design choices with the textures, sound design and the typography, it all felt rather atmospheric. Plot-wise/worldbuilding-wise I think it was a lot to take in all at once. I don't really understand either of the two worlds right now, but that's okay, I hope they will flesh them out later.

Does Sorao go to a school without uniforms or was the place Toriko found her at not a school?
I wonder what the place where they talk about the cube they've just acquired is, too.
Jan 4, 2021 9:16 AM
Sep 2020
I stayed up late (it's currently 1am in my country) waiting for this and it's worth it. I like the animation. It somehow met what I imagined while reading the manga. I like the first episode so far. So glad to finally hear their voices. And oh! I really love the op and ed.
Jan 4, 2021 9:17 AM

Feb 2019
Idan said:
Does Sorao go to a school without uniforms or was the place Toriko found her at not a school?
It's an university, they're both college-age people.
Jan 4, 2021 9:18 AM
Sep 2020
I think almost everyone can agree that the use of 3D was the worst thing about this episode. I really enjoyed the story and characters. The world seems really cool too. I hope that the use of 3D stops
Jan 4, 2021 9:19 AM
Jul 2020
I don't really know how i feel about this anime yet. the first episode was ok, but it looks interesting. I wanna see where this story is going to go because frankly, i have no idea.
Jan 4, 2021 9:20 AM

Jan 2015
fun ep, the elevator scene was interesting.
Jan 4, 2021 9:20 AM
Nov 2019
Well I really loved the novel but after watching the first episode I wish the animation will change with better consistency in the later episodes
Jan 4, 2021 9:21 AM

Oct 2011
Kosmonaut said:
Idan said:
It's an university, they're both college-age people.

Oh yeah that makes sense. I think I got confused because Toriko's clothes look like a uniform, but then again, she wears high-heels, too. Thanks!
Jan 4, 2021 9:37 AM

Mar 2020
Yuri show huh? Guess the good stuff comes later right now it's about the relationship development.

I like the opening and ending, has nice music.

Although this show definitely made me interested in the Sci-fi, Fantasy type world and the character development to come, the animation kinda threw me off. Hopefully it won't bother me too much.

Good episode :)

Jan 4, 2021 9:39 AM

Mar 2014
This episode made a good first impression. I hope the atmosphere will be a bit calmer though.
Jan 4, 2021 9:40 AM
May 2016
Fantastic, the direction and atmosphere are on point. Loved the ED, the song was beautiful.

I might get used to the OP with time, but so far I thought it was more okay than anything else
Jan 4, 2021 9:41 AM

Aug 2013
Well, what can I say, this had an interesting start and I'm sure going to continue to watch this every week. And CHiCO with HoneyWorks doing the OP is great. The ED is great.

Jan 4, 2021 9:43 AM
May 2016
Idan said:
The "yuri of the landscape" the creator talked about in an interview linked in another MAL thread was really visible here. I like the design choices with the textures, sound design and the typography, it all felt rather atmospheric. Plot-wise/worldbuilding-wise I think it was a lot to take in all at once. I don't really understand either of the two worlds right now, but that's okay, I hope they will flesh them out later.

I wonder what the place where they talk about the cube they've just acquired is, too.

They don't wear uniforms in college. I picked up on that when Sorao mentioned her student loans
Jan 4, 2021 9:45 AM

Mar 2019
Well....I have no idea what happened...so much plot for me who just expcted some Yuri things after seeing the Shoujo Ai tag.

But I agree with the point, the will notice you're missing if you don't pay the student fee.
Jan 4, 2021 9:46 AM

Feb 2019
This very much has the vibe of one of the many artsy walking simulators, right down to the manic pixie girlfriend that gloms onto the sullen loner main character and refuses to leave her alone. Which is especially dumb because literally the first thing said MC does is complain that nobody cares about her, so of course spends the entire rest of the episode complaining that somebody now cares about her. Sure, this is clearly meant to be Power of Friendship, but they sure ain't doing a convincing job with these ninnies. It's not the lack of a meet-cute, or romance to set the world on fire. It's that one of them is tiresome. You could use that to show that the other brings a spark to her life, or changes her in some way, but even at the end, we only get a resigned "Well, whatever."

Anyway, the musical direction is what does most of the heavy lifting for the atmosphere, and it does a mostly decent enough job, although I think the atmospheric non-music is probably a lot more efficient than the weird techno-horror of the elevator sequence. It's a very slow episode though, which does it no favors. They encounter the white thingy at the start, spend about 15 minutes faffing around about whether or not to go back, the narrator of the story dragging her feet every step of the way without any interest, curiosity, or even honestly fear of monsters unless they're staring her in the face, and then, finally, at the end of it… run into the same thing again only to shoot wildly at it and then declare job well done. Not exactly a closed circle narrative here.

It's not the worst thing, and it's competently enough produced, especially again on the audio side, although not burning any budgets here either, but it needs to be a lot more ambitious with its characters and the story than this episode was.
Jan 4, 2021 9:46 AM
May 2016
The 3D was really bad...but it was mostly used for distance shots in a way similar to that of Demon slayer, not that that makes Demon player's equivalent bad, it's just a cost cutting measure, so I don't mind that much
Jan 4, 2021 9:53 AM

Aug 2020
pockyharem said:
The 3D scenes were funny but it would've been better if they were actually hand-drawn. The elevator scene was kinda scary because Toriko looked very suspicious pressing the buttons. That aside they look good together.

When you were wathivng the shooting this was what you were watching, not angel beats?

anyways good first ep
Jan 4, 2021 9:56 AM

Mar 2016
I found this first episode very underwhelming and subpar in terms of overall presentation. While I do give appreciation to the themes of adventure and mystery offered, the physical exhibition was EXTREMELY lackluster as hell. I really dunno why they decided to go with jarring CG models on the characters in certain segments when it was really unnecessary, plus the 2D animation is barely average and the dialogue seems a bit too dry in tone.

Not awful by any means, but really a huge letdown considering that the manga had a better consistent presentation despite getting tiresome down the stretch.
Jan 4, 2021 9:57 AM
Apr 2019
The thing that stands out the most is the sound direction, it hits at the right place!

The visuals are decent, characters are nothing spectacular but I'll continue.
Jan 4, 2021 10:01 AM

Jul 2015
What kind of fucking yolos would want to go to that place again lmao.

First episode was fine towards good, the setting with the mysterious beings in another world is fairly interesting and it's one of those works that I feel will get more interesting as we get to understand more the mysteries that reside in that place. The switch between perfectly good 2d (some parts were legit spooky) and pretty jarring cg is very distracting tho and I noticed it way more than I wish I did.
Jan 4, 2021 10:03 AM
Apr 2018
Ive been waiting for this anime to release but after watching ep1 its just a bit disappointing. There are so many differences in the dialogue between Toriko and Sorao with the Light Novel. The anime didnt really potray the kunekune scene very well and i hate how they suddenly change from 2D to CGI. Character designs are good, voice acting perfect, ost... doesnt quite fit in some scene. My expectation for ep2 is just going down right now
ArtiStiJan 4, 2021 10:09 AM
Jan 4, 2021 10:03 AM
Oct 2018
Animation is kinda functional, despite the tons of CG, but was shone was direction. Wow! Superb OST and sound desing too. I'm suspicious about the story and characters though, there wasn't any true explanation of the concept of the urasekai (even though it can be explained visually, I think some exposition won't harm anyone since it's not quite an easy concept), and the characters are way too delightful considering the situations they get involved (maybe will be explained later?). It sure was thrilling and interesting, but it needs more in later episodes
Akkarin! Hai!
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Urasekai Picnic Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2021

70 by wildhood »»
Apr 16, 8:57 PM

Poll: » Urasekai Picnic Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 8, 2021

87 by EinTheVariance »»
Sep 14, 2023 9:21 AM

Poll: » Urasekai Picnic Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 25, 2021

88 by EinTheVariance »»
Sep 13, 2023 4:52 PM

Poll: » Urasekai Picnic Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2021

88 by WatchTillTandava »»
Sep 5, 2023 6:00 AM

Poll: » Urasekai Picnic Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2021

72 by Ayonimarui »»
Jul 24, 2023 9:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.