Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 17, 2020 2:21 PM
Jan 2020
Not to be confused with USELESS meaning weak or incompetent.

By POINTLESS I mean a character who simply doesn't do much and/or who doesn't serve much purpose to the story.

Particularly interested in supporting characters but feel free to mention more minor ones too.
VenusmonOct 17, 2020 2:26 PM
Oct 17, 2020 2:24 PM
Jan 2016
Milluki Zoldyck is pretty useless, never does anything. He was set up as an important character in the auction bit, but he did absolutely nothing. Looking back he did not even do anything at all.
Oct 17, 2020 2:28 PM

Jan 2018
post 1: dont confuse that with useless pls

post 2: well that guy is pretty useless

went just as planned XD
Oct 17, 2020 2:38 PM

Dec 2016
Ging Freeccs. The show started out being about a boy searching for his father yet it ended up not having anything to do with that.
Oct 17, 2020 2:38 PM
Jan 2020
He desc
CuteAssTiger said:
post 1: dont confuse that with useless pls

post 2: well that guy is pretty useless

went just as planned XD

He used the word 'useless' to describe the character but he did go on to explain that he (the character) simply didn't do anything at all.
Oct 17, 2020 2:48 PM
Oct 2018
90 % of the main characters are pointless
Oct 17, 2020 2:59 PM

Jul 2017
This mf from Kakegurui. He's supposed to be a main, but he may as well have not even existed. Should have given all his screen time to someone else lol

Oct 17, 2020 3:04 PM

Jul 2011
Lisanna from Fairy Tail - she had some impact when it was assumed she was dead but after she returned, she might as well had stayed 'dead' since she does little of importance
Oct 17, 2020 3:18 PM
Jan 2018
Pretty much any AoT character that isn't Erwin. They don't develop or progress they exist to fill gaps and to die. Unless you're Levi or Mikasa then you exist to bring Arifumi Imai in to animate an action scene as well as act as Eren's plot armor because he hardly does anything right himself and just screams about things.
Oct 17, 2020 5:02 PM

Feb 2016
I'm not a fan of Inuyasha's wolf character. I thought he was pointless from the start, and I've completely forgotten if he ever used the power he discovered in The Final Act.
その目だれの目?
Oct 17, 2020 5:20 PM

Oct 2018
Does anyone remember Misa Amane from Death Note? Yeah me neither.
Oct 17, 2020 5:35 PM
Jul 2018
Don't know about pointless characters but I know about pointy ones

Oct 17, 2020 5:41 PM

Feb 2020
Any character from Kimetsu no Yaiba, but that Zenitsu, man... Why the fuck does that character exists? He doesn't add anything to the story and his past is generic af, a piece of shit who is trained by a great master gets hit by a lightning and gets a power, great development, just like everyone else on that piece of garbage show.
Oct 17, 2020 6:02 PM
Jul 2020
Nina Einstein from Code Geass.....
Oct 17, 2020 6:06 PM

Feb 2020
Those kids in Log Horizon, the show would be so much better without them.

IT'S NEVER OGRE
Oct 17, 2020 7:31 PM

Sep 2020
That'd have to be Sakura from NARUTO, the ONLY thing she does the ENTIRE series is defeat Sasori... with Chiyo's help. she was really just another side character, with the same screen time of the main characters.

oh yeah, annoying as hell to.
Oct 17, 2020 7:33 PM
Dec 2017
sakura from naruto by far the most pointless

Oct 17, 2020 7:38 PM

Dec 2016
AwokenStroken said:
That'd have to be Sakura from NARUTO, the ONLY thing she does the ENTIRE series is defeat Sasori...

That is simply not true. Don't spread wrong information.
Oct 17, 2020 7:39 PM

Apr 2020
Sure, sure sakura she was an annoying character. but tenten has done literally NOTHING in the entire series, why even add her as a character if she doesn't get with anyone in boruto or have a successful job. she's so pointless y'all forgot she was pointless AHAH
el psy kongroo
Kenzolo-folkOct 17, 2020 7:47 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 17, 2020 7:41 PM

Sep 2020
Ferien said:
AwokenStroken said:
That'd have to be Sakura from NARUTO, the ONLY thing she does the ENTIRE series is defeat Sasori...

It simply is true, I spread factual information.
Oct 17, 2020 7:43 PM
May 2020
Adimus_prime said:

Wait, was there even a character named Misa Amane in Death Note?

Feb 2010
Ferien said:
AwokenStroken said:

but hes not wrong...shes the first character that comes to mind. aqua is more useful then she is (as entertainment.)
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Oct 2013
Adimus_prime said:

I guess her main role was to have a female character that is rather pretty and that will add something to the plot that would be very important, but not to the point of making her one of the main characters.

While I find her more interesting than that redhead L-wannabe (whose name I don't even remember, lol), her role in the story was quite weird and ruined its seriousness a bit with her general attitude towards Light.
Oct 17, 2020 7:44 PM

Sep 2020
Kenzolo-folk said:
Sure, sure sakura she was an annoying character. but tenten has done literally NOTHING in the entire series, why even add her as a character if she doesn't get with anyone in boruto or have a successful job. she's so pointless y'all forgot she was pointless

She was so pointless I literally forgot about her.
Oct 17, 2020 8:28 PM

Jul 2020
Every comic relief characters are pointless.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Oct 17, 2020 8:32 PM

Jun 2020
the damn kid from kakeugurui, the guy. i forgot his name but why the fuck is he there? kid deadass doesnt do anything
Oct 17, 2020 8:59 PM

Oct 2019
If I stick to Naruto, then two characters comes to my mind: Tenten and Karin. Tenten just begs for screen-time, can be seen in fillers, does nothing to contribute to the main story. Karin is seen for a few episodes with Sasuke, then vanished into thin air. Does nothing except whining and flirting with Sasuke.

In future diary, the other MC, Yuki is a character, I believe is a pointless character. Of course, the spotlight was on Yuno because she did what she had to. Yuki just whined and cried and always stood behind Yuno while she did her deeds. I don't know why Yuno was in love with this guy. This character existed just for the sake of Yuno.

Lastly, another character is Lisa from Zankyou no Terror. Yes, I forgot that this character existed. That anime run on the strength of 9 and 12. If Lisa never existed in the first place, it won't make much of a difference.
Oct 17, 2020 9:08 PM
Sep 2020
Those two girls from Parasyte, MC's girlfriend and the other one who was obsessed with the MC. They were so pointless and lame that I even forgot their names.
Oct 17, 2020 9:11 PM
Sep 2020
AwokenStroken said:
That'd have to be Sakura from NARUTO, the ONLY thing she does the ENTIRE series is defeat Sasori... with Chiyo's help. she was really just another side character, with the same screen time of the main characters.

She literally saved Naruto's life, yet she is pointless to the story. Good joke there.
Oct 17, 2020 9:12 PM

Jul 2013
The bench players of Shohoku High in Slam Dunk. They're there but also aren't there.
Oct 17, 2020 9:18 PM

Sep 2020
Red_sparkling said:
AwokenStroken said:

She literally saved Naruto's life, yet she is pointless to the story. Good joke there.

I mean really, who hasn't saved Naruto's life. lets be real
Oct 17, 2020 10:00 PM

Nov 2011
Any characters from Attack on Titan who were killed one minute after their introduction. Probably most useless character introductions ever.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Oct 17, 2020 10:01 PM
Jun 2008
Excalibur from soul eater. I can't remember him adding to the story.
Oct 18, 2020 12:13 AM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Scordolo said:

Even Sokka from Avatar? He's technically not from an anime, but he's the main comic relief character in that show... as well as being the boomerang guy main strategist for Team Avatar. He is literally the opposite of a pointless character. Besides, he taught everyone the greatest piece of knowledge to ever be graced on this earth...
Oct 18, 2020 12:17 AM

Jul 2020
Fario-P said:
Scordolo said:

Even Sokka from Avatar? He's technically not from an anime, but he's the main comic relief character in that show... as well as being the boomerang guy main strategist for Team Avatar. He is literally the opposite of a pointless character. Besides, he taught everyone the greatest piece of knowledge to ever be graced on this earth...

He was talking about anime my dude.Not western cartoons.

To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Oct 18, 2020 12:18 AM

Jul 2020
Jim_Heart said:
Any characters from Attack on Titan who were killed one minute after their introduction. Probably most useless character introductions ever.

That's so true.

To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Oct 18, 2020 4:30 AM

Feb 2019
Lisanna from fairy tail. It was better when she was dead.
Oct 18, 2020 4:38 AM

Oct 2010
in fukumenkei noise there a character Gummi who's a pop star, everyone likes him, I mean everyone, it's some sorta celeb who adores our main band (in no hurry), they talk about him like he matters but in the end, after 12 anime episodes and 16 manga volumes, he has almost 8-10 dialogue lines. What was the point of hyping him so much???
Oct 18, 2020 4:42 AM
Jul 2018
Scordolo said:

you surely haven't watched Baccano
Oct 18, 2020 4:49 AM

Oct 2017
As long as they serve their meant purpose for which they were created as insignificant as it may be, you can't call them pointless. Yes, even those characters who die a minute after they're introduced. Even they're not pointless.
Oct 18, 2020 6:47 AM

Feb 2016
hazarddex said:
aqua is more useful then she is (as entertainment.)

It annoys me slightly when people call Aqua useless. Nobody else can pull off those parlor tricks! Yeah, I know this isn’t a topic on useless characters.
その目だれの目?
Oct 18, 2020 8:17 AM

Feb 2020
The first ones that come to mind are Iroha and Nyunyu from Flip Flappers.
Iroha has been introduced as a rather important, mysterious character, she even had an entire episode covering her backstory, and then she disappeared. She sometimes made a little cameo and sometimes was mentioned by the main characters because of something that apparently was important yet never dealt with, but she didn't play any actual purpose. I don't know why she exists. Her backstory episode was great, but for the rest I don't know why she was even created.
And Nyunyu was introduced at some point as if she was a big deal, she's been a not-so-small deal for like, 2 minutes, and then she became completely irrelevant. She could've just not been there, it would've been the exact same.
FafetteOct 18, 2020 8:21 AM
Oct 18, 2020 3:12 PM
Jan 2020
Fafette said:
Iroha has been introduced as a rather important, mysterious character, she even had an entire episode covering her backstory, and then she disappeared. She sometimes made a little cameo and sometimes was mentioned by the main characters because of something that apparently was important yet never dealt with, but she didn't play any actual purpose. I don't know why she exists. Her backstory episode was great, but for the rest I don't know why she was even created.
And Nyunyu was introduced at some point as if she was a big deal, she's been a not-so-small deal for like, 2 minutes, and then she became completely irrelevant. She could've just not been there, it would've been the exact same.

Good answer. What do you think the writers had in mind for Irroha that they ended up not using after all?
Oct 18, 2020 3:27 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nov 2012
Klein from SAO comes to mind.

Don't get me wrong, he's designed to be likeable and he has a good friendship with the rest of the cast and I don't mind Kirito having a dude in his otherwise all girl harem. But every time he's on screen he just feels... out of place? Like what are you doing here, man. He provides some good comic relief, but storywise, I just don't get him.

交わした約束忘れないよ
Oct 18, 2020 3:48 PM

Oct 2010
So people in this thread picking characters they don't like and being blind about their essentiality to the plot. Well okay.

I mean, I don't like Misa Amane. But she does things. She has a role. She advances the storyline in certain directions. That's the opposite of a pointless character.
Oct 18, 2020 5:32 PM
Jan 2020
jal90 said:
So people in this thread picking characters they don't like and being blind about their essentiality to the plot. Well okay.

I mean, I don't like Misa Amane. But she does things. She has a role. She advances the storyline in certain directions. That's the opposite of a pointless character.

Amen to that....
So far Tenten from Naruto seems to be the most prominent pointless character.

Oct 18, 2020 5:37 PM

Jul 2015
Attackonfiller said:
This mf from Kakegurui. He's supposed to be a main, but he may as well have not even existed. Should have given all his screen time to someone else lol

I'll second that. You could remove this guy from the show and nothing will change. In second season he literally does not exist despite still officially being MC.

Oct 19, 2020 12:38 AM

Feb 2020
Venusmon said:
Fafette said:

Good answer. What do you think the writers had in mind for Irroha that they ended up not using after all?

It looked to me like they initially wanted to provide her quite a big amount of development after the backstory episode, through the issue that has been adressed by Cocona and Papika : how she seemed to have drastically changed after they modified her past and if that was okay or not given that she was happier now. I thought the message was ultimately going to be about how trauma plays a role in our life just as much as everything else and the best thing to do is to accept it rather than deny it, but ultimately they just left her like that. I heard that they apparently changed the show's scenario halfway so that would explain what happened with Iroha.
Oct 19, 2020 12:47 AM

Dec 2018
Balgo Parks from Burn the witch seriously it's a typical self-insert of anime in a movie where the two girls are the true protagonists.
Oct 19, 2020 5:00 AM
Dec 2018
Smokey Brown from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure : Battle Tendency.

More topics from this board

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - 4 hours ago

5 by alshu »»
2 minutes ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

61 by Ricchan__ »»
15 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - Apr 24

28 by LenRea »»
19 minutes ago

Poll: » hate watching ( 1 2 )

deg - Apr 14

50 by alshu »»
25 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 7 hours ago

24 by Ricchan__ »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.