Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 24, 2020 6:48 AM

Jul 2020
so recently, i've been talking and stuff but then I came across someone that said "mainstream anime is garbage, who doesn't know that?" and I'm confused because isn't mainstream anime just well known anime and well known anime must be good for it to be well known?? Anyways, I instinctively ask questions like "why and how is it bad" and he starts talking about how the quality and plot is trash and how all the characters have no development but didn't give proper evidence. Can someone pls explain why mainstream anime is bad or why people think its bad because this guy isn't very convincing.
Thx for reading this far😄
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 24, 2020 6:53 AM
Jun 2020
If only Asta didn't scream every two seconds, I would have liked Black Clover a little more, ya know.
Sep 24, 2020 6:53 AM

Mar 2016
Of course not all mainstream anime are bad. Just judge them at an individual basis. Some are better than others. There isn’t much to say about this topic tbh.
Katsuo_Sep 25, 2020 5:12 AM

Sep 24, 2020 7:00 AM

Feb 2015
Not every popular anime is bad, but most popular anime are easy to understand and have simple plots, as opposed to some obscure shows, which are more experimental.

Dec 2017
It´s just that when you watch too much animes, you´ll find one anime that better suit´s for you, making mainstream animes less apealing to you.
I don´t think mainstream animes are bad though
I enjoy lightskyblue

Mar 2019
My Boy, the anime is Shit, that should be public knowledge and thus we would avoid so many discussions with pretentious people who believe that their show is the best in the world.
Sep 24, 2020 7:02 AM
May 2018
well known anime must be good for it to be well known??

Absolutely not. Just because something is popular, doesn't mean it's good. There are many factors to take into account, namely:
- the marketing study behind it (follow the trends, for example),
- the psychological strategies (target an audience as broad as possible, show sexual stuff to activate the viewers' hormones, ...)
- and of course, the randomness of success (things sometimes get popular for no reason ; if you're not convinced, just think about internet memes).

However, it also doesn't mean it's bad by default. It will obviously depend on the anime, and of course there will be a huge subjective part.
Everything changes. Even the happy and funny things eventually disappear. How can I still enjoy this place then?
- Furukawa Nagisa (Clannad)

You have to make a choice. Either you give up on your soul for the sake of science, or you give up on science to save your soul. In my case, the soul was already in pieces.
- Lloyd Asplund (Code Geass)

Do you understand the meaning behind Nunnaly's smile? She can't see or walk. So there are things in this world that she knows she can't do alone. Her smile... is her only way to show gratitude.
- Lelouch Vi Britannia (Code Geass)

Death is part of Life.
- ... Me.
Sep 24, 2020 7:02 AM

May 2018
Because it's cool and edgy to hate on popular shows and have Logh and some obscure old titles in your top 10 favorite anime list
Sep 24, 2020 7:03 AM

Jun 2016
Not all mainstream anime are bad. The guy just wanted to show how cool he is now that he discovered some new reletively unknown show.
Speking of cool reletively unknown shows, you guys need to watch 801 t.t.s. airbats it's great.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 24, 2020 7:03 AM

Feb 2016
People just go in with high expectations expecting it to be the second coming of a masterpiece, which, it isn't. They get disappointed and call it bad because they can't see what's so good about it.

In my case, I always go with low expectations when it comes to mainstream anime, otherwise I'll just hate it from the get go. Only exception of going with low expectations that ended up being way worse than I thought, are Tower of God and God of High school

Now, just because something is popular, doesn't entirely mean it's good, If it knows how to hype the audience it will gain popularity no matter how many flaws it has.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Sep 24, 2020 7:04 AM

Dec 2018
Captain_Andrew said:
"mainstream anime is garbage, who doesn't know that?"

I can definitely see myself or just about anyone saying this with the lowest tier of irony. It's probably ironic my man.

Dariat said:
Because it's cool and edgy to hate on popular shows and have Logh and some obscure old titles in your top 10 favorite anime list

This argument has already gotten old. Man I used to use this all day and think so highly of myself. Now it's pretty damn cringe.
. . .
Sep 24, 2020 7:10 AM
Aug 2020
More often than not, mainstream = overrated.

A part of the reason that many hate on the mainstream shows is for the recognition of shows that are narrative wise or character wise, basically objectively better.

Dariat said:

Your statement isn't completely wrong but as the person mentioned above it's cringy. It's just an excuse for those who only watched the few main most popular anime and aren't willing to watch the better stuff because if not many know about it, it won't be fun to set it as your profile pic on social media. It's just like "everyone has their own tastes" an excuse for having an normie taste.

Dec 2016
Usually mainstream shows have a simple plot and simple characters, so for someone that has seen a lot of shows they will find similarities between shows and it wouldn't be as exiting for them
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요

Nov 2018
Dariat said:

Well, statistically speaking, LotGH does have the highest favorites:completed ratio in the top 100, at just over 0.25. So whoever has actually finished it has a higher chance of having it in their top 10, compared to other mainstream shows. Maybe watch it after you've finished DNT.

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Sep 24, 2020 7:12 AM

May 2020
Dante012 said:
- the psychological strategies (target an audience as broad as possible, show sexual stuff to activate the viewers' hormones, ...)

lmfao...
to the op i think he just wanted to look cool every piece of shit who says that just wants to be an elitist
Erwin_DanchouSep 25, 2020 1:20 AM
Sep 24, 2020 7:12 AM

Jan 2020
Some mainstream anime is bad, Some isn't bad, And just because it's mainstream or popular doesn't mean it's good since many people suck at criticism.
I don't speak English that much, so please cut me some slack
Sep 24, 2020 7:13 AM

Jan 2019
Mainstream anime isn't inherently bad and obscure anime isn't inherently good.

There's no mutual exclusivity here. There are some mainstream anime that are bad, as well as obscure anime that are bad.The same can also be said of good anime.

Obligatory disclaimer : Yes, "good" and "bad" are somewhat relative descriptors. Let common sense rule the day and let us not go down the tired old "objectivity/subjectivity" route in yet another thead.

Sep 24, 2020 7:13 AM
Jul 2018
They aren't considered bad. They're quite popular actually. Perhaps even more popular than most other anime.
Sep 24, 2020 7:17 AM

Jan 2018
Captain_Andrew said:
so recently, i've been talking and stuff but then I came across someone that said "mainstream anime is garbage, who doesn't know that?" and I'm confused because isn't mainstream anime just well known anime and well known anime must be good for it to be well known?? Anyways, I instinctively ask questions like "why and how is it bad" and he starts talking about how the quality and plot is trash and how all the characters have no development but didn't give proper evidence. Can someone pls explain why mainstream anime is bad or why people think its bad because this guy isn't very convincing.
Thx for reading this far😄

I wouldn't say mainstream things are generally bad but its not uncommon for something that isn't all that good to be popular because it's simple and targets a broad audience

Tiktok for example is very popular and is pretty bad

The marvel movies are fun and easy to enjoy and easy for people to get into but are they really well written stories?
Nah

Similarly anime has some things that are easy to enjoy and appeal to many people but aren't nessesarily good compared to some masterpiece anime .
Sep 24, 2020 7:20 AM

Jan 2018
Erwin_Danchou said:
Dante012 said:

lmfao...
i think he just wanted to look cool every piece of shit who says that just wants to be an elitist

Nobody wants to be an elitist as this term is comes with an negative connotation.

It's like saying somebody wants to be a faggot

There is an inherent negative connotation to the term
Sep 24, 2020 7:20 AM

Oct 2019
Not necessarily bad, it's just that most mainstream anime tend to become generic shounen action plot anime which bothers elitist who have built up their taste for anime many many years prior. For the record though, I'm not a big shounen fan myself.
Sep 24, 2020 7:25 AM

Nov 2018
when the crowds overhype something specific that actually fair for being decent tends to kill the whole show itself
Sep 24, 2020 7:25 AM
Jul 2018
because they have repeating and generic predictable plots that have been watch thousands of times before there is no point in seeing those stories when you have a anime same, but much better done.
Sep 24, 2020 7:27 AM

May 2018
Preachee said:

This argument has already gotten old. Man I used to use this all day and think so highly of myself. Now it's pretty damn cringe.

I know it's an old argument but that doesn't mean it's not true. Everytime I see someone on forum complaining about mainstream anime and trash talking modern shows, I check their profiles and they all have Logh and some obscure titles in their top 10. It's always the same
DariatSep 24, 2020 7:41 AM
Sep 24, 2020 7:32 AM

May 2019
Don't pay a lot of attention to this sort of stuff that people say about anime you like. You like what you like, and not everyone is gonna agree with your taste. Some might even try to force their opinions on you, just ignore them.
Now my take on mainstream anime: Mainstream anime isn't all trash. The main reason behind the hate on mainstream anime is that people are just butthurt that their favorite anime don't get the recognition that they think they deserve. There are also others who just do it because it's edgy, and it makes them feel unique that their taste stands out. Just don't bother arguing with people like this and you're good to go.
Captain_Andrew said:
isn't mainstream anime just well known anime and well known anime must be good for it to be well known??
Not necessarily, I'd disagree with that. Some mainstream anime also get popular because they reuse a lot of the tropes that have already been successful in other anime, and since these tropes are already popular, the anime also gets popular. It all comes down to the execution. Mainstream anime can be good or bad, and the same goes for the more obscure titles.
Amoh25Sep 24, 2020 7:52 AM
Gintoki and Sugita's birthdays are 1 day apart.
Sep 24, 2020 7:40 AM

May 2016
Because people, you know, are dumb, mainstream anime are mainstream for a reason, they're the best! <3
Sep 24, 2020 8:03 AM

Jan 2018
Mash56 said:
Because people, you know, are dumb, mainstream anime are mainstream for a reason, they're the best! <3

Following that logic anything popular is automatically the best

Yet we can observe many examples where that isn't the case
Sep 24, 2020 8:10 AM

Jul 2020
Amoh25 said:
Don't pay a lot of attention to this sort of stuff that people say about anime you like. You like what you like, and not everyone is gonna agree with your taste. Some might even try to force their opinions on you, just ignore them.
Now my take on mainstream anime: Mainstream anime isn't all trash. The main reason behind the hate on mainstream anime is that people are just butthurt that their favorite anime don't get the recognition that they think they deserve. There are also others who just do it because it's edgy, and it makes them feel unique that their taste stands out. Just don't bother arguing with people like this and you're good to go.
Captain_Andrew said:
isn't mainstream anime just well known anime and well known anime must be good for it to be well known??
Not necessarily, I'd disagree with that. Some mainstream anime also get popular because they reuse a lot of the tropes that have already been successful in other anime, and since these tropes are already popular, the anime also gets popular. It all comes down to the execution. Mainstream anime can be good or bad, and the same goes for the more obscure titles.
I completely understand now, thank you for making this somewhat simple and easy to understand.
Sep 24, 2020 9:40 AM

May 2016
CuteAssTiger said:
Mash56 said:

Of course, like in everything in this life that's not a rule 100% true, but most of
Sep 24, 2020 10:23 AM

Apr 2018
You should ask the guy who said that
Anyway, mainstream anime is mainstream for a reason, but it has nothing to do with its quality. It just means it can cater a wider audience.
Sep 24, 2020 10:23 AM

May 2014
Because elitism and people just won’t let others enjoy things
Sep 24, 2020 10:30 AM

Jan 2013
Death Note was great, I don't know what he's on about.

I obviously do
Sep 24, 2020 10:42 AM

Apr 2020
taste is subjective, there are good mainstream anime as there is bad, same applies for unknown ones, what I may like doesn't mean someone else will like, today's trend is to hate on whatever is popular, generally posers who don't even watch the title they're bad mouthing and just presuppose.
Sep 24, 2020 10:46 AM

Nov 2007
If someone says something like this without any kind of argument or evidence it is pretty likely they're just spouting nonsense. It's true that popular=/=good, but there are plenty of popular anime that are high quality.

It's true that anime take advantage of formulaic plots/characters, even visual design to appeal to people, and anime can become popular this way without having much depth. For some reason certain weebs are resistant to the idea that fanservice/moe are a part of this, but it's true ^_^ anime creators understand what weebs want in the most feeble, reptilian parts of their brains, and they are writing their shows and gags and designing characters that way to keep viscerally appealing to young men because it's profitable. It's not a secret that this is how marketing works, so I don't get what's so "edgy" or "elitist" about pointing it out. Anime are products as well as works of art, and sometimes they lean more toward one or the other.

I don't think there's anything edgy/elitist about criticizing mainstream content per se, since ultimately it doesn't have anything to do with criticizing "people's taste." People just take it too personally. It would obviously be better for everyone if less formulaic content were mainstream and there were more thematic variety and depth instead. Maybe it's worse for the anime "industry," but it's better for the anime medium. There are definitely people out there who will just criticize popular stuff to get a rise out of others though.
Sep 24, 2020 11:08 AM

May 2018
"why is mainstream anime considered bad"

It's not considered bad, it's considered boring/annoying.

Dariat said:

LOTGH is pretty popular and well known so...bad example?
alshuSep 24, 2020 11:12 AM
Sep 24, 2020 11:14 AM

May 2019
Captain_Andrew said:
I completely understand now, thank you for making this somewhat simple and easy to understand.
No prob, dude. Any time.
(Typing randomly to fill in the space.)
Gintoki and Sugita's birthdays are 1 day apart.
Sep 24, 2020 11:21 AM

Jan 2018
Mash56 said:
CuteAssTiger said:

Of course, like in everything in this life that's not a rule 100% true, but most of

except there are tons of examples that show the opposite ?
general TV
tiktok
trending youtube
mainstream movies pushing sjw messanges
many shows being milked forever regardless of their qualitry suffering
Sep 24, 2020 11:24 AM

Aug 2020
Because Leiji Matsumoto's work isn't mainstream anymore, thus mainstream anime can't be good without Leiji Matsumoto.
Sep 24, 2020 11:27 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
People consider mainstream anime bad? The top 3 rated anime on this site are also all in the top 15 most watched. Hell, if you move discount a couple of the Gintama movies/sequels that make up a huge bulk of the top rated anime, almost everything in the top 50 by ratings is in the hundreds of thousands of members.

Anyway, accessibility isn't a quality. For it to be known like you're saying, it doesn't need to be good, it needs to have components that are going to make a large audience watch it. This won't prevent people from expressing criticism if they have issues with it in most cases.

Your friend who says mainstream anime is all shit seems like a try-hard, though. It's an exceptionally myopic dismissal that reeks of trying to assert themselves as the most knowledgeable. "Hee hee you only watch basic shit, you don't know where the real good stuff is like I do." I get being frustrated at being into stuff that's relatively obscure in your circle and the 10,000th Shinobu avatar just makes you groan because you want somebody who's more distinct and interesting than another Monogatari fan Toy Story Alien, but I can't sympathize with a dismissal of quality based on popularity like this guy is doing at all.

In general, no, one guy saying something stupid doesn't constitute majority opinion and statistically most highly-rated anime aren't exactly obscure by any means, at worst middling.
ManabanSep 24, 2020 11:32 AM

Sep 24, 2020 11:32 AM

Oct 2017
Define mainstream. I mean that statement is pretty garbage because it lumps a ton of shows from a variety of genres together. It's just a try hard trying to make himself look cool because "I only watch obscure Japanese cartoons" when all in likely it's stuff like LOTGH or Monster. Stuff that isn't really that niche and most people who have spent time in the community know about.

HxH, Spy x Family (manga sales are incredibly high), Haikyuu, Ghost in the Shell, Attack on Titan, Kaguya Sama Love is War, Akira, Mob Psycho 100, OPM, Cowboy Bebop, FMAB, Berserk. These are all mainstream anime/manga and are highly rated everywhere I go so yeah BS.
Sep 24, 2020 11:36 AM

Apr 2010
It's not that mainstream Anime is bad. It's that there's not enough good ones anymore these days
Sep 24, 2020 11:50 AM

Aug 2020
Not all are. However, people who has watched more than your average viewer develop a "I have a superior taste than yours" syndrome where they consider every show liked by majority bad and every "unpopular" anime to be their favorite.

I mean there was a dude who told me that a guy on MAL had over 1000+ Anime in his list and his favorite was "Girls and Panzar" lmfao
Sep 24, 2020 11:50 AM

May 2018
alshu said:

LOTGH is pretty popular and well known so...bad example?

#631 popularity and 46k votes it not mainstream
Sep 24, 2020 11:51 AM

Jan 2018
Alot of mainstream anime tend to have a lot of diehard fans who tend to overlook many of the flaws the anime may possess.

Anime elitists come in and exaggerate these flaws at the same extent that the fans overlook them.

At the end of the day, watch the anime that look interesting to you and form your own opinions on them. The opinion of an online stranger only carries significance if you let it.
Sep 24, 2020 12:13 PM

Jan 2020
I like how you're saying that it's considered bad despite it has high ratings. All fellas are capitalists right now, aren't they? Based on this, majority's opinion is the most important factor because the industry doesn't work to satisfy the tastes of elitists, in fact, industry never did work towards that goal.

In other words: mainstream anime is not considered bad because, just take a look at all those hordes of ki.. people who can't even properly use their mother tongue due to their age at the moment, but already have anime-related profile pictures and Japanese-like nicknames set up in their profile settings, whose oldest anime ever watched is Naruto... no, Demon Slayer (because Naruto is for old farts, right), guys who might not know what an "acute-sided triangle" even is but already have a vast hentai gallery on their PC inside of their homework folders (which for some unknown reasons weigh 200gb... of PDF and Word files?? weird...).
Sep 24, 2020 12:27 PM

Sep 2014
Geel said:
They want validation from others, it's pretty pathetic and a sign of insecurity.

Normally, when you want validation from other, you're supposed to say what do people think. You don't get validation for saying what they don't believe. It's actually the complete opposite of feeling insecure.

Dariat said:

This is completely ironic. It is also cool and edgy to denounce "elitist" anyone who don't like a mainstream anime and steering them under the same elitism umbrella. Are LOGH fans obligatory anti-mainstream?
Sep 24, 2020 12:28 PM

Feb 2019
It’s not considered bad tho. Whoever said that is either cracking some cringy, ironic “joke” or is the type who goes against the grain to make himself feel special and unique; the quality of a show can’t be judged by arbitrary and irrelevant things such as popularity because the content of the show isn’t any different than if it were some obscure work nobody knew about. It’s still inherently the same no matter what it reputation is among the community. Popularity only means that a work contained various aspects that were able to make it more appealing to a broader audience at a given time.
To judge others by your own standard is the height of folly.
Sep 24, 2020 12:29 PM

Jul 2020
I personally don't find mainstream bad, mainly since an anime becoming mainstream means it was good enough for it to reach public eye. That being said, there are bad main stream anime/main stream anime people think are overhyped, so I can guess that may be a reason
Sep 24, 2020 1:02 PM

May 2018
Hrybami said:

It is also cool and edgy to denounce "elitist" anyone who don't like a mainstream anime and steering them under the same elitism umbrella.

No, it's not. I don't go and trash other people's tastes, everyone can watch whatever they like.

I don't criticize them because they don't like mainstream anime, but because they trash talk shows just because they're popular and brag about how their taste in anime is better than yours. Yeah, I call that elitism
Sep 24, 2020 1:02 PM
Jul 2018
People love to generalize and some don't view every work of fiction as an individual work, and dismissing "mainstream" anime give them a sense of superority and they seek validation from other people like that.

What people consider as mainstream depends on their environment anyway.
People, who aren't anime fans, or absolute casual watcher would only maybe consider Naruto, One Piece and Dragonball etc as mainstream.
People in the community might consider stuff as mainstream that is completely or mostly unknown by outsiders.

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 19 minutes ago

4 by filjoh »»
4 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 7 hours ago

43 by EpicO4 »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

37 by Shirayukin »»
11 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

109 by Merani »»
18 minutes ago

» A Trend in Voice Actors in Anime

Yuu_Kanzaki - 22 minutes ago

0 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.