Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 19, 2020 4:02 PM

Jan 2017
seriously i think it's the hardest thing to do to meet people irl and then spend a consistent amount of time with them

the only thing i can think of is an irl hobby. you do the said hobby with other people and then just keep doing it. all parties progress skill and are social.

it was a lot easier at school to develop and maintain relationships because you saw them each day (situational friends). now i take that for granted.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 19, 2020 4:05 PM

May 2013
What I did was start playing Magic the Gathering. Made alot of good friends.

p0ckyy said:
the only thing i can think of is an irl hobby. you do the said hobby with other people and then just keep doing it. all parties progress skill and are social.

You have the right idea, just put it into practice.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Sep 19, 2020 4:16 PM

Jan 2009
ye go to anime conventions for example and start talking with fellow weebs
Sep 19, 2020 4:22 PM
Sep 2019
deg said:
ye go to anime conventions for example and start talking with fellow weebs

Yeah...I want to go to one...never been to one myself. The only thing is...this year has ruined a lot of plans. Maybe 2021, I'll plan out a trip to visit a big con. Never cosplayed either, perhaps it'll be a first for a lot of things that I wanted to do, but couldn't this year.
Sep 19, 2020 4:23 PM

Dec 2015
I spend a lot of time talking to people at the bus stop, pretending I have money and a place to be.
Sep 19, 2020 8:00 PM
Jul 2020
Why are you under the assumption that anyone here ever even socialize with people in the first place?
Sep 19, 2020 8:14 PM
Jul 2018
I can only think of stuff like school, university, job, etc.
I went to convention once but didn't really interact with anyone.
Sep 19, 2020 8:14 PM

Jun 2019
At work mostly, sometimes when I travel and much more often through sports.

@Zlyiond Not everyone is a NEET :-). We non-NEET are forced to socialize, just for the sake of our careers ("networking"...).
Sep 19, 2020 8:38 PM

Dec 2018
I think meeting with people irl is quite easy for me. But I still can't stop imagining what it would be like if I were to meet up with people I cussed on MAL. How the hell would I handle them then? Get into a fight? Be amicable 'hi hello how are you waddup mate'? I figured I should always be honest to myself, which I, for the most of the time, am. But I can already picture how hysterical it would be. If anything, I actually wanna try meeting one of them.
. . .
Sep 19, 2020 8:46 PM
Jul 2018
I don't, I'm quite introverted and shy. I have only 2-3 friends irl.
Sep 19, 2020 8:54 PM
Jul 2020
Meusnier said:

@Zlyiond Not everyone is a NEET :-). We non-NEET are forced to socialize, just for the sake of our careers ("networking"...).

Lol.. I was being hyperbolic when I stated "Weebs don't socialize", but there is some truth to that statement. Most MALers tend to be young (probably around 16-22) and don't necessarily feel the need to grab a job since they're (most likely) still under parental care; and thus they figuratively and literally dwell in their parents basement. Though, I may wrong since I'm noticing a lot of teens getting employed at a young age.
Sep 19, 2020 8:55 PM
Jul 2018
Honestly, I can't think of any interesting hobbies/interests that require another human being.
Sep 19, 2020 9:16 PM

Jun 2019
Zlyiond said:
Meusnier said:

Lol.. I was being hyperbolic when I stated "Weebs don't socialize", but there is some truth to that statement. Most MALers tend to be young (probably around 16-22) and don't necessarily feel the need to grab a job since they're (most likely) still under parental care; and thus they figuratively and literally dwell in their parents basement. Though, I may wrong since I'm noticing a lot of teens getting employed at a young age.

I also thought that you were joking, but when you are in school or college, you are more forced to socialize a little bit just by sports or group projects. Even my former classmate who bragged to read hentai and brought it to class in high school had some friends.
Sep 19, 2020 10:02 PM
Mar 2019
Work mostly but I keep them at arm's length.

When it comes to finding fellow weebs though, I think joining groups where you can socialize with fellow fans does wonders. You don't need to make friends with the 6348727893492 other fans for sure but in due time you'll be able to make friends with really cool people who do understand you and will meet with you irl.
Sep 19, 2020 11:34 PM

Feb 2015
I just go outside and that's it, really. But it depends whether or not the humidity is being an oppressive tyrant that day.
Sep 19, 2020 11:40 PM

Jun 2020
mostly through my friends and parties, etc.
i used to be pretty introverted until middle school when all my friends basically introduced to their other friends then so forth.
and also bc of things like key club and boy scouts :)
Sep 19, 2020 11:42 PM

Aug 2020
I cut myself off from other people. I don't enjoy socializing anymore, it's never helped me in anyway.

Sep 20, 2020 12:19 AM
Jul 2018
After school, there's work. I have a bunch of friends from work.
Sep 20, 2020 12:24 AM

Jan 2015
At the gym, yoga, apps, and at parties lol. I wish I knew more ways to meet people
Hush-hush, Shh! :)
Sep 20, 2020 12:36 AM
Jul 2018
You meet people at activties/groups, you bond with them, you exchange numbers and then keep in contact with them.
Sep 20, 2020 12:48 AM

Nov 2010
90% of mine are just from being introduced to friends of friends.
I'm overly chummy from the first convo though, I feel like that probably helps.
Sep 20, 2020 2:32 AM

Jul 2016
I mean, in this pandemic? You've not really got much of a chance, have ya?

Outside of that though, usually, it's meeting through friends either at parties or other social gatherings. And those friends I probably would have met through classes or flatmates, something that would have put us together by chance. I don't think I've ever just gone up to a random stranger I had absolutely no connection with and said "hey bro, you wanna be friends?" because the usual response is to look at you funny and walk away.
Meusnier said:
Zlyiond said:

I also thought that you were joking, but when you are in school or college, you are more forced to socialize a little bit just by sports or group projects. Even my former classmate who bragged to read hentai and brought it to class in high school had some friends.

Probably because they had hentai to share.
ChilliePeppersSep 20, 2020 2:35 AM
Sep 20, 2020 3:11 AM

Jun 2019
_Dusty_ said:
Meusnier said:

Probably because they had hentai to share.

Not even, he was the only degenerate weeb back then deserving the disgusted look of girls and boys alike. People of culture would merely watch Yu-Gi-Oh! at the time and I did not even hear of people reading manga or watching anime before college. Maybe they were rightfully hiding too.
Sep 20, 2020 3:24 AM

May 2020
yeah its the most difficult thing ever and when everyone leaves u with someone and u have nothing to say that shit's really awkward i cant even go out to buy something i am that much introverted
Sep 20, 2020 4:11 AM
Dec 2014
- Cultural / language exchange events.
- Friends of friends
- Random encounters during travels (hostel, hikes, ski resorts etc.)

Used to go to anime/game related expos quite often, but I've mostly stopped or go there with people I know.

While it is nice to meet new people now and then, I think think it takes quite a lot just to -maintain- existing relationship with people. This is especially true as I move often all over the world.
AxBattlerSep 20, 2020 4:15 AM
Sep 20, 2020 4:11 AM
May 2019
Through various activities like cosplay, going to anime conventions, karate, yoga, through mutual friends.
Sep 20, 2020 6:16 AM

Mar 2016
Meet at work, stock exchange or the C-Suite.

just wanna feel wanted by someone other than the police 😫
Sep 20, 2020 7:05 PM
Jul 2020
for me either on school, college, bars and othr parties, doing classes like boxing or anything else u do in group
Sep 20, 2020 7:11 PM
Dec 2017
anime conventions or anime clubs in your area are your best bet. Gaming stores could be a good way as well too if you and somebody else coincidentally has the same taste that could kick off something or being buddy buddy with the store owner for a good discount.

Sep 20, 2020 11:03 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
I feel like a lot of my buddies are from school and I just kept up with them. Others are from cosplaying/going to cons. Some are buddies I've found from just pursuing my career of choice-- and I've always been afraid to make friends that way because I didn't want to befriends folks who just wanted to benefit somehow, but they actually come off as genuine which I appreciate the heck out of.

A few folks have mentioned anime conventions, which is great! I would suggest going to smaller cons or gatherings and pretty much just introducing yourself to folks though! I think I've mentioned this before, but I was at a tiny cosplay gathering once and since it was so small and there wasn't much to do. People were a loooot more open to talking to folks they didn't know. We were about to go home or else we would have hung out with him, but one guy wasn't even cosplaying as was just like, "I just moved here from up north, so I'm honestly just trying to make friends" and we were like, "Heck yeah, dude!" We introduced ourselves but then suddenly the host of the gathering wanted to do a group picture so we forgot.;; He seemed chill though. Don't be afraid to do something like that.

Actually, at that same gathering, another girl we didn't know introduced herself and hung out with us for the whole day as we hiked around the nature while taking cosplay pictures. All she did was introduce herself and asked if she could come with us. She was also chill. The only reason I didn't keep in contact was because at the time all they used was instagram and I really don't use it.;;

I think once cons and gatherings come back (?) people are going to be a lot more open to interacting with others, which is hopefully going to be great for those who have been wanting more friends!

Erwin_Danchou said:
yeah its the most difficult thing ever and when everyone leaves u with someone and u have nothing to say
You don't have to say anything. Even people who love silence will be uncomfortable with silence if they think others are, but if you actually say that you're okay with not speaking or just something like, "I usually don't have much to say, but I feel comfortable enough with you to not feel the need to speak just to fill any silence" then people are usually fine with that. That way there's a lot less pressure to speak and if you do want to say something then it gives you time to actually think about what you want to say, need to say, etc.
Though, I'm usually guilty of just talking forever about random stuff just because I can... even though I actually do like silence.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Sep 20, 2020 11:13 PM

Apr 2020
Hmm that depends on the type of person I am looking to meet. I'm part of the local furry group and attend regular meets where new members come along but I rarely start up a friendship with these people. They're nice to talk to at the events and maybe even joke with online but generally the furries in my area are all car buffs which I have no interest in. Sometimes they're cool though and we get along well enough to chill together outside the furry group.

Other than that, I generally make new friends through friends I already have. Parties are generally the easiest way (my friend circle is very tame so parties are usually just junk food and a form of entertainment. Usually movies).

I used to use Grindr and Tinder back when I was single and would often become friends with the guys there. It very rarely became a friendship that lasted more than a few months though.
Sep 21, 2020 1:08 AM
Dec 2019
I don't meet people irl. I interact with the same familiar faces every single day (basically just school) and that's perfectly fine. I seriously can't remember the last time I "met" someone irl and became newly acquainted with them..
Sep 21, 2020 12:11 PM

Jul 2011
Through work, hobbies, events and stuff like that.

Sep 21, 2020 5:47 PM

Oct 2018
Why would I meet people? Fuck them, they all suck.

Sep 21, 2020 7:07 PM

Nov 2018
i have small circle of friends that keep bringing their other friends from another circle then the circle grows bigger. but in the end i keep hanging out with the same familiar faces
Sep 21, 2020 11:20 PM

Mar 2019
Dislike people in general but I have to meet them because of my field

Since I'm a college student I always make an effort to talk to people in class or go to club meetings.
Sep 25, 2020 6:49 PM
Elder Emo

Jan 2013
Lemme know once you figure it out haha but since I'm done with school I feel like I really only get to know new people through work.
Sep 30, 2020 9:34 AM

Sep 2020
School, work, gym...you can meet people everywhere, but if you lack social skills, probably it´s better if you meet people at a place where everyone shares something (hobby, support the same team,etc)
"If I get reincarnated… I wanna become a clam.” – Monkey D Luffy

Sep 30, 2020 9:38 AM

Jul 2015
step 1: turn off computer
step 2: open door
step 3: go to any place where there are people
step 4: socialize
Oct 1, 2020 12:05 AM

Jul 2016
go to events with your friends or do a hobby together like me, i play yugioh its fun to when u have real people to play with :3
Oct 1, 2020 1:44 AM

Aug 2014
Socialize at work. Socialize at conventions. Socialize at random hobby based get togethers. Socialize in general, get off the internet and go outside. You'll only find people if you're looking for people.
Oct 1, 2020 11:40 PM

Jun 2020
alvmonster said:
Socialize at work. Socialize at conventions. Socialize at random hobby based get togethers. Socialize in general, get off the internet and go outside. You'll only find people if you're looking for people.

never ever have i heard something that i agree with so much
Oct 2, 2020 8:27 PM
Jul 2018
Find a new activity or learn a new skill. Make it something that you're interested in and not something off the cuff. You'll usually meet people that way.
Oct 3, 2020 1:58 AM

May 2018
Chatting online and staying in door = perfect

"Don't give up after failing just twice.
We'll be able to do it next time.
Failure is the stepping stone to success."

Oct 3, 2020 3:50 AM
Jul 2018
alvmonster said:

This. But you can also do the same online with the intent of meeting them irl later. Or not. Can just do it like here on MAL with just profile comments and what not.
Oct 3, 2020 7:06 PM
Jul 2018
i can do this not because lockdown in country but i meet friends with discord and to talk. when no lockdown , i meet friends at the park and play in him. was fun :)
Oct 3, 2020 8:36 PM

Sep 2020
For girls: cold approach, parties, nightclubs, friend's referrals; I'll be trying to expand that by going to anime cons and traveling

For guys: MAL, sports, friend's referrals, online games

For random NPCs: work

If you're having crippling depression, hopefully our videos will send you to another world and have you reborn as an isekai protagonist
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc8rSgYdcdZUSXXqVJhNwLw
Oct 3, 2020 9:27 PM

Oct 2020
alvmonster said:

I think this is a bad idea {the work comment, not everything else), especially if one: you dont have work due to the current conditions and two: if you do, you shouldnt eat where you shi*... if you can avoid it.

I think random activities you enjoy woul d be better ideas.
Look for classes around the city that are starting back up or have already been going strong for years.
Archery classes
Dancing: salsa, merengue, bachata are all close body classes where you have to get close and personal and you will chat and touch random people (may not be safe nowadays, but they are still doing it depending on your state)
axe throwing
book clubs
tabletop gaming nights with randoms
start your own meetup group with something you enjoy and make people meet you, only problem with this idea is if you use the meetup site you have to pay some fee to start it, but could be worth it.
cooking classes.

zalen0Oct 3, 2020 9:47 PM
Oct 4, 2020 1:56 AM

Sep 2020
vosake said:

I think this is a bad idea {the work comment, not everything else), especially if one: you dont have work due to the current conditions and two: if you do, you shouldnt eat where you shi*... if you can avoid it.

Hmmm... not eating where you shiii is one of my personal principles but I'm curious as to why you think so in term of meeting people irl? In general I avoid sexual relation in my workplace unless the girl is too good to pass up (in case things go awry, my face is thicc enough to see the girls everyday but a woman's grudge shouldn't be taken lightly) but I still socialize with my coworkers, nothing wrong with that... or is it?

If you're having crippling depression, hopefully our videos will send you to another world and have you reborn as an isekai protagonist
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc8rSgYdcdZUSXXqVJhNwLw
Oct 4, 2020 11:09 AM

Aug 2020
It's simple. Get a fucking job. I've got some new friends myself over the several years I've been working. The reason why you're not meeting new people is because you're sitting on an anime forum all day. Even worse, you're still living with your parents. Finding new friends is difficult when you're living like that.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

42 by Kamikaze_404 »»
3 minutes ago

» What sort of education did you get?

removed-user - Dec 23, 2019

48 by Rhaelynne »»
9 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

679 by Hitagi__Furude »»
1 hour ago

» What are some of your favorite animals?

DoisacChopper - Feb 10

48 by perfectlyquiet »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Do you care about your native culture?

Kamikaze_404 - Apr 9

45 by Bruh69XD »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.