Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 30, 2020 1:45 AM

Oct 2017
Honestly, for me, just like good graphic won't save a bad game, good animation would not change my opinion toward a poorly written/ poorly directed anime.

For me good animation (or even amazing animation) do not make me enjoy an anime more if I find the characterization , the writing, and the plot lackluster.

For example, I do not enjoy SAO season 3 UW part 2 at all despite the gorgeous animation.
I find myself enjoying God of High School less and less each episode despite the fluid animation because I couldn't care less about the plot.

What do you guys think?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 30, 2020 1:53 AM

Jan 2009
there is a reason One Punch Man and Demon Slayer are more popular despite being generic in story they say

anime is a visual story telling medium so visuals plays a huge factor imo
Aug 30, 2020 1:56 AM
Jun 2017
Ventus_S said:
Honestly, for me, just like good graphic won't save a bad game, good animation would not change my opinion toward a poorly written/ poorly directed anime.

For me good animation (or even amazing animation) do not make me enjoy an anime more if I find the characterization , the writing, and the plot lackluster.

For example, I do not enjoy SAO season 3 UW part 2 at all despite the gorgeous animation.
I find myself enjoying God of High School less and less each episode despite the fluid animation because I couldn't care less about the plot.

What do you guys think?

No, it can't. The example that you gave of SAO War of the Underworld part 2 is exactly what I was thinking. That anime is just random plot armor thrown around. I don't really care if characters are OP or not, but it has to make some sense.

Even God of High School has a better plot than SAO WoU part 2, even if it is a little rushed compared to the source material, which I don't care since I never read it.
Aug 30, 2020 1:57 AM

Dec 2016
No, it doesn't. Never did, never will.

Worrying about the animation quality to me is like worrying about how pretty the cake looks; in the end it doesn't matter one shit if the cake tastes bad when you put it inside your mouth.
Aug 30, 2020 2:23 AM

Jun 2017
Ferien said:
No, it doesn't. Never did, never will.

Worrying about the animation quality to me is like worrying about how pretty the cake looks; in the end it doesn't matter one shit if the cake tastes bad when you put it inside your mouth.

I would personally recommend that you never open up a bakery

but re:op the premise comes off as pretty disingenuous. GoOd AnImaTiOn won't fix something but will make something potentially more receivable - in some cases it's a major component in what's being offered
Aug 30, 2020 2:28 AM

May 2016
Sometimes, if the anime isn't terrible (i.e. just bad) and the OST is also good, then it may be saved with REALLY good animation (e.g. Demon Slayer). If the anime is terrible, I am sorry but it won’t change my opinion much (e.g. SAO WoU Part 1 and 2)
Aug 30, 2020 2:30 AM

May 2020
For me atleast, it doesn't help. I can tolerate the worst animation known to mankind if it has compelling plot, well-written characters, etc. The opposite is impossible.

A poop with gold sprinkled on it is still poop. It won't make it any better.

But good animation can enhance a already "good" anime.
Aug 30, 2020 2:50 AM

Apr 2019
How much good animation helps an anime is very dependent on the genre. I understand that for action savy anime with many moving parts it's essential and certainly part of the enjoyment. But I'm not a fan of action, so I care relatively little about how well something I don't like anyway is animated. Fights are boring, regardless how many render cycles went into them.

My prefered anime are character and dialog driven, which means even a well done Power Point grade animation (aka Ga anime genre) could get a 10/10 from me. And vice versa, see my standard examples for well animated crap (Your Lie in April, Psycho-Pass, Fate/Zero).
inimAug 30, 2020 2:56 AM

Aug 30, 2020 3:06 AM

Apr 2020
Good animation is pleasant, even in a bad anime, but I wouldn't say it saves it. I still keep in mind that the rest is not good, but it's at least aesthetically enjoyable to look at.
Aug 30, 2020 3:09 AM

Jul 2019
Yes. I rate my anime based purely around my enjoyment and if I hate the show a lot but the animation is fucking epic, I will enjoy it a bit more. Like Seven Deadly Sins season 1-2 and the movie.
Aug 30, 2020 3:11 AM

Oct 2019
If I find an anime I dislike that has good animation, then I'll probably still dislike it, but give it credit for having good animation.
Aug 30, 2020 3:12 AM

Aug 2017
Just look at Violet Evergarden, nop.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 30, 2020 3:24 AM

Nov 2011
For "bad anime", no. But for decent anime, it can boost my enjoyment a bit.
The reason why OPM and KnY are popular partly because to many people, their story are not bad, people love generic stories.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Aug 30, 2020 3:26 AM
πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Jan 2020
I mean, I'll always give points for animation. For good animation or art style, I'll usually bump it up by a point or two.

For example, I hated Little Witch Academia and Arrietty but even I have to admit that the actual animation and art style itself is well done so I gave it a 3/10 instead of anything lower and something like Garden of Words, where the story is almost totally forgettable but not terrible but had really amazing visuals - I gave a 6/10 rather than a 4 or a 5

Anime is a visual medium and a lot of what I appreciate about anime is the art and animation so it makes sense for great animation to add in some points at least. Even the greatest story in the world probably wouldn't get above an 8/10 if I didn't like the art style or animation.

πŸ”₯ πŸ”₯ πŸ”₯ . ι˜Ώθ‰―γ€…ζœ¨ 暦, ε‚· 物 θͺž . πŸ”₯ πŸ”₯ πŸ”₯
Build a man a fire and you'll warm him for a night
but set a man on fire and you'll warm him
for the rest of his life...
- H E N D Y -
Aug 30, 2020 3:32 AM

Oct 2017
horridhendy said:
I mean, I'll always give points for animation. For good animation or art style, I'll usually bump it up by a point or two.

For example, I hated Little Witch Academia and Arrietty but even I have to admit that the actual animation and art style itself is well done so I gave it a 3/10 instead of anything lower and something like Garden of Words, where the story is almost totally forgettable but not terrible but had really amazing visuals - I gave a 6/10 rather than a 4 or a 5

Anime is a visual medium and a lot of what I appreciate about anime is the art and animation so it makes sense for great animation to add in some points at least. Even the greatest story in the world probably wouldn't get above an 8/10 if I didn't like the art style or animation.

I usually give credit for good animation too. (quite a bit of credit actually)
Otherwise I would have given God of High School and SAO Ordeal War a lot lower score.

However there's a fine line on how much I could tolerate irrational plot and poor characterization. If that anime breaks that line, I'd just give it a 1/10 regardless of its animation quality, for example, Mirai Nikki and SAO season 3 UW part 2.
Aug 30, 2020 3:39 AM
πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Jan 2020
Ventus_S said:
horridhendy said:

I usually give credit for good animation too. (quite a bit of credit actually)
Otherwise I would have given God of High School and SAO Ordeal War a lot lower score.

However there's a fine line on how much I could tolerate irrational plot and poor characterization. If that anime breaks that line, I'd just give it a 1/10 regardless of its animation quality, for example, Mirai Nikki and SAO season 3 UW part 2.

Oof, yeah Mirai Nikki was bad. I dropped that shit 5 episodes in. Gave it a 4/10 for at least having some interesting ideas, decent animation and I liked the OP.

I tend to save my 1/10 score for anime where I cannot find a single redeeming feature. If I give something a 1/10 it means that I hated the music, plot, art style, animation, concept,. characters etc. which is probably why I have only given two anime a score of 1/10.

Even that abominable Skelter Heaven (the lowest scored anime on MAL) made me laugh at it once or twice for how hilariously bad it was, so I gave it a 2/10. So good animation will even save an otherwise 1/10 for me.

πŸ”₯ πŸ”₯ πŸ”₯ . ι˜Ώθ‰―γ€…ζœ¨ 暦, ε‚· 物 θͺž . πŸ”₯ πŸ”₯ πŸ”₯
Build a man a fire and you'll warm him for a night
but set a man on fire and you'll warm him
for the rest of his life...
- H E N D Y -
Aug 30, 2020 3:41 AM
Jul 2018
"just like good graphic won't save a bad game"

That's exactly how I think. But, a good animation can carry (not save it though) it. And for me it isn't that big of a deal. Look at Kimetsu and Ufotable*:
KnY before the anime was like rank 5-8 in the Shonen Jump weekly rankings. After the anime, even won the 1st place of that ranking against One Piece.

Something very average -but not bad- turned more popular than it should.
Aug 30, 2020 3:43 AM

Nov 2017
So the question in the title is "can good animation save a bad anime", the question in the poll is "does good animation solve all the problems in an anime", and the positive answer in the poll is "good animation increases my enjoyment regardless", which doesn't really answer either question. What am I even supposed to ponder here? Which question are we supposed to answer?

Can good animation save a bad anime? Well, the anime is already bad as a whole, so clearly the animation didn't save it.

Does good animation solve all the problems in an anime? No, although it can alleviate some problems. I think good animation can enhance some scenes that would otherwise be pretty flat, boring or uninteresting, and therefore make the story more exciting and impactful than it would otherwise be.

Will good animation increase my enjoyment regardless of the rest of the anime? Yes, because it's at least one thing about it that isn't bad. Wanting to strangle all the characters dead is better than wanting to strangle all the characters dead while also clawing your own eyes out. Not good, but better.
Aug 30, 2020 3:45 AM

Jul 2020
Yeah it does for me.The best example would be Kimetsu no Yaiba.Its story is average af.It is popular just because its animation is so beautiful.No one woud have even known it exist if it was poorly animated.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte

Oct 2010
Not saving, but a higher rating yeah. Good animation would mean that there's at least one aspect I enjoy.

Also what the heck is wrong with people mentioning and assuming that Kimetsu no Yaiba is popular because it's well animated. Have you lived under a rock the last 40 years when the narrative formula of this show became literally the most popular in the whole medium or what. People don't like it despite being generic, people like its genericness.
jal90Aug 30, 2020 3:49 AM

Oct 2017
ArendQuest said:
"just like good graphic won't save a bad game"

That's exactly how I think. But, a good animation can carry (not save it though) it. And for me it isn't that big of a deal. Look at Kimetsu and Ufotable*:
KnY before the anime was like rank 5-8 in the Shonen Jump weekly rankings. After the anime, even won the 1st place of that ranking against One Piece.

Something very average -but not bad- turned more popular than it should.

Yeah amazing animation could turn average anime into something a little special.
This I can agree on.
I tried to read the first few chapters of Demon Slayer manga, and my opinion is , yes, UFO did save Demon Slayer, because I would have dropped the manga entirely for the first few chapters alone because the artstyle is very meh and plot is very generic indeed. (The later plot did get better though. I mean like WAY later plot).
I mean, UFO even makes Tanjiro looks more attractive/ likable , so even the artstyle saves it.
Ventus_SAug 30, 2020 3:52 AM
Aug 30, 2020 3:48 AM

Apr 2019
jal90 said:
Not saving, but a higher rating yeah. Good animation would mean that there's at least one aspect I enjoy.
+1, even when I bash some shows (see above), their excellent animation still prevents them from falling into the trash grade 1-3/10 rates. Your Lie in April for sure has 1/10 characters and story, but overall comes out with the black eye a 4/10 is. Which means the production values of animation and sound earned 3 rating points for an otherwise lackluster anime.

Aug 30, 2020 3:48 AM

May 2020
well watch the new season of SAO u will get the answer that shit is shit no matter how much u decorate it
Aug 30, 2020 3:58 AM

Feb 2020
A bad anime is just a bad anime, pretty visuals won't save it.

IT'S NEVER OGRE
Aug 30, 2020 3:59 AM
Jul 2018
Yes it saves them all the time, until they become outdated and people forget about them cause there is nothing else to talk about the show.
Aug 30, 2020 4:14 AM

Jun 2020
from my standpoint, no. but this is of course very subjective
Aug 30, 2020 4:19 AM

Dec 2015
No it can't, nothing can save a bad exucuted anime, even if animation quality would be the best out there.

As long as it's interesting and exciting that's enough for me.

ROV is one of the best anime out there and the animation itself is not top notch as it's 41 years old.

Aug 30, 2020 4:26 AM

Apr 2020
Enen no Shouboutai is around 3-4/10 if it had average animation. There’s just something about the animation that appeals to me more than other anime with also really good animation.
Aug 30, 2020 4:27 AM

Sep 2013
MellowStar said:
No.If the animation is stellar,then I give the production credit for that,but not the actual content itself.

If the animation helped in my enjoyment,then I would have already given Garden of Words,Five Centimeters per Second,and this season's The God of Highschool a 10 already.

omg can I hug you? (re Shinkai's works)
Aug 30, 2020 4:29 AM
Jan 2012
For me personally, no amount of quality animation can save a bad story. It's a storytelling medium, style over substance to me is the worst thing an anime can be, because being nice to look at won't make something less boring. The net gain from the anime looking pretty is so much less than the loss from poor story and characters, and all the other aspects outside of animation.

Dog shit with the nicest shade of paint on top might be fine to look at but it's still gonna smell enough that I don't want anything to do with it.
Aug 30, 2020 5:11 AM

Mar 2015
I mean I like pretty animation & art so it can boost my enjoyment somewhat. But pretty pictures can only carry a shit story so far. Especially if you're stuck with that story for 10+ episodes. I think Violet Evergarden is gorgeous and enjoy looking at gifs/screencaps of it, but I've had it on hold for like 2 years now because the plot bores me to death.

I can appreciate good art/animation, but the actual plot is in the end what mainly keeps me watching.
Aug 30, 2020 5:12 AM

Jun 2008
It doesn't "save" a bad show but as anime is a visual medium it makes something more appealing. If you have two plates in front of you, exact same ingredients and exact same taste, but one is slopped on the plate in a pile and the other is put together and presented well you're more likely to think the second one was better. And if you can only choose one to eat, you're going with the one that's presented better.

But a bad show is a bad show and all really good art/animation might do for it is lure more people in at the onset.
Aug 30, 2020 5:19 AM
Jul 2018
Character designs do matter than the plot sometimes, so yes for me.
Aug 30, 2020 5:42 AM
Oct 2019
I don't think good animation could save an otherwise meritless show, but it does go a long way in making it better. I could see a 3/10 being bumped to a 4 or 5 or a 7 being bumped to an 8 over animation but no way would a 1 turn into a 6 no matter how stunning it looks. I used to not care much about art or animation but I've really started to appreciate it over the past few years, so I understand why some people might not care about it. I think how a show looks adds to its feel and uniqueness.
Aug 30, 2020 5:46 AM

May 2019
Yeah, kinda sometimes. I've given the latest season of SAO a 6/10 on my list, but it would've been lower (like a 5/10 or maybe even 4/10) if the animation wouldn't have been as good. In fact, the only reason I found OPM season 1 and Kimetsu no Yaiba enjoyable is because of their animation, but it's not the case every time. But I don't dislike anime with average/bad animation for as long as they've got good storyline, characters etc. But even then there certainly are exceptions. If the animation is so horrible that I can't even enjoy the story, then I'm obviously gonna dislike it. An example of it is the recent 7 Deadly Sins season 3.
To me, animation is part of the overall experience, but it's not the deciding factor (for as long as it doesn't affect the other factors like my last example). I won't necessarily hate a show with bad animation, nor will I necessarily like a show with good one, but I'd be lying if I said that it has no effect on my enjoyment at all.
Amoh25Aug 30, 2020 5:49 AM
Gintoki and Sugita's birthdays are 1 day apart.
Aug 30, 2020 6:54 AM
Aug 2018
Nah if the show is ass then it's bad, I couldn't care less about the animation when I'm rating a show. Then again it helps right? At least one thing is decent. Usually, most people are visual and sometimes the whole plot can be easily overlooked with its animation and art.
Aug 30, 2020 7:00 AM

May 2013
Nothing will ever beat the good old hand drawn animes. However I'll throw away any 'good' animation anime for an actually good story any day.
Aug 30, 2020 8:07 AM

Jun 2017
I take the OP's question, "Can good animation really saves bad anime?" to mean "can good animation save an anime that is bad in every other respect?" because "bad anime" already implies a judgment on the overall quality of the show.

But put it like this: can ANY aspect of a show by itself save it, if it's deficient in every other respect? (art, story, characters, music, acting and so on). IMO it doesn't. A good story that looks and sounds like crap will only be a might-have-been: "This could have been a good series if only it had half-decent animation and the actors weren't so bad." It's a bad show with only a good story going for it, and I probably won't watch it.

So no, I don't think animation alone can save a show, because anime (like generally all audiovisual arts) is a complex medium, because it appeals to a variety of senses and perceptions at the same time - visual, auditive, intellectual, affective, and we expect to be more or less satisfied in several of them at least.

However, animation is what makes the medium what it is. Take it away and you get literature, picture drama, music or anything, but not anime. So it's the one aspect that IMO can't be totally bad. If you're making anime, please make an effort to animate it well. If not, it's like going to a concert with awesome special effects on the stage but crappy music.

(Wait, come to think of it, I've been to a few of those.)

But if all you can offer me is a good story, I might as well just read the novel.

Aug 30, 2020 9:14 AM
Jul 2018
Good animation is pretty much the only redeeming quality of things like Rage of the Bahamut.
Aug 30, 2020 9:16 AM
Jul 2018
deg said:
there is a reason One Punch Man and Demon Slayer are more popular despite being generic in story they say

Pretty much. I thought Violet Evergarden was cheesy, but the visuals and overall feel were so gorgeous, that I gave it a 7.

Zvera said:
Good animation is pretty much the only redeeming quality of things like Rage of the Bahamut.

I thought Rage of Bahamut season 1 was pretty good! Season 2 on the other hand...
Aug 30, 2020 9:21 AM

Dec 2018
I would say that animation does affect my enjoyment of a series to a degree, but that if a series or anime has a fundamentally poor narrative or pacing, that the animation does not save the anime at all; instead, I view good/decent animation as something supplementary to a good anime, as in, if an anime is already good, then having noticeably bad animation would stand out, and make you ask why. A good analogy would be like eating a tasty cake; if the cake is absolutely delicious, but the exterior looked completely disgusting, that would probably affect your enjoyment of the cake to some degree (probably more so with this cake analogy and foods in general), but if the cake was disgusting in the first place, a good exterior wouldn't save/change the flavor. At least, that is my subjective take on the subject.

Another way to look at this is that the animation tells the story along with the dialogue; that is, after all, what separates anime from manga. Thus, if the animation is so bad that it interferes with telling the narrative, or distracts the viewer from immersion, then that's when animation quality does matter arguably.
"I saw the Emperor - this soul of the world - go out from the city to survey his reign; it is a truly wonderful sensation to see such an individual, who, concentrating on one point while seated on a horse, stretches over the world and dominates it."
Aug 30, 2020 9:25 AM

Sep 2017
Well, the answer is clear to me thanks to the latest SAO season where the animation (and the OST) is literally the only redeeming quality. And I still don't enjoy this season despite the animation

The anime in general has to be at least average to be enjoyable besides the animation (like Kimetsu no Yaiba, even without the animation it's a nice anime, nothing exceptional but it's still entertaining)
Aug 30, 2020 9:27 AM
Oct 2018
Well, not really. I don't think it'd even affect my rating all that much.
On the other hand if a shitty anime has a shitty animation, it'll just work to exacerbate my hatred towards it.
--
Aug 30, 2020 9:29 AM

Jun 2020
Honestly depends on how severe the story is.
Aug 30, 2020 9:55 AM
Aug 2014
deg said:

I have to disagree. OPM is not generic at all in terms of anime story, lol. In setting and aesthetics, sure, but not in the story. The series is carried by ONE's amazing writing.

As for my own answer,
I've watched a lot of movies that have great animation or visual design, but that alone is never enough to carry the entire film. If there isn't anything interesting going on with the characters or plot, it just ends up being tiring to watch after a while. So no, I don't think that animation can carry a film. It's great if it's there, but it's more of a dressing for the story.
Aug 30, 2020 10:02 AM

Apr 2020
No, MAPPA cannot save TGOH. The plot and characters are shit. It's so boring I start to think the animation is bad, too.
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
Aug 30, 2020 10:19 AM
Apr 2020
personally, no. i always focus on the plot and characters the most, i mean animation is a bonus, but it only increases my enjoyment for ALREADY GOOD anime. it cannot and will not save a horrible story no matter how prettily animated the show is.

ex.
kakegurui's pretty decent animation did not save its dull storyline. aggretsuko has a very cartoony art style and animation, but it did not stop me from enjoying its great plot and characters.
Aug 30, 2020 10:32 AM
Aug 2020
If it's mediocre, it might. If the story is truly trash-tier, it can't. What's the point of slogging through a beautiful anime if you loathe its plot and characters? It's kinda like taking a beautiful sunny stroll through daffodils with a daffodil allergy. Sure, it's pretty, but what's the point if you don't enjoy it?
Aug 30, 2020 11:54 AM

Dec 2017
BNHA fanboi definitely gonna cancel me.
If BNHA wasn't made by Studio Bones, but instead by other studios who probably gonna overuse bad CG animation for every fight scene. It will never get this popularity, let alone getting 5th season because fanboi just overhyping this series to the roof.
Other than the animation, BNHA story basically the same as other generic shonen.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 10 hours ago

17 by Rhaelynne »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 3 hours ago

14 by LoveYourEyes »»
6 minutes ago

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - 37 minutes ago

3 by ProGoddess »»
13 minutes ago

» Do you have any special memories from the anime fandom?

RobertBobert - 3 hours ago

1 by Zettaiken »»
19 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 10 hours ago

22 by pk8list »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.