Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Aug 20, 2020 7:11 PM
Apr 2020
aplacebeyondMAL said:
How the hell did the commissioners survive being at the center of that explosion. Not even a throwaway line about their powers saving them.

Now both Jin and Han have no motivation to fight other than, "to get stronger." It's not a deal breaker, but I'm disappointed that two of our Big Three have not motivation.

I've kind of stopped following the anime since there's nothing about it I prefer to the webtoon, so I have no idea how much of this was cut, but I thought Mori wanted to find his grandpa?
Aug 20, 2020 7:50 PM
Aug 2020
CodyII said:
aplacebeyondMAL said:
How the hell did the commissioners survive being at the center of that explosion. Not even a throwaway line about their powers saving them.

Now both Jin and Han have no motivation to fight other than, "to get stronger." It's not a deal breaker, but I'm disappointed that two of our Big Three have not motivation.

I've kind of stopped following the anime since there's nothing about it I prefer to the webtoon, so I have no idea how much of this was cut, but I thought Mori wanted to find his grandpa?

When he found out his grandpa was missing, Mori basically said, “It’s gonna be fine. My grandpa is strong so I’m not that worried about him.”
Aug 20, 2020 7:55 PM
Jul 2018
Decent episode; 4/5 for me. I'm surprised so many people seem to hate it in the reviews when the score overall is pretty ok (7.73 by the time I'm writing this). I hope the opinions improves as it ends, but usually the trend is the opposite.
Aug 20, 2020 7:57 PM
Jul 2018
vrupr said:

I hope you're being sarcastic lol

Nope. What do you disagree with? Did you want a more... standard opening? More emotional scenes? Romance? Death? This is the exact kind of anime I've been waiting for for a while. It's not for kids, it's not overusing tropes, it's got the right "attitude" or "feel" to it. It's not being edgy, it doesn't have annoying characters, doesn't have too much filler, has good pacing, always feels like there's more to the story and I want to find out what's happens next to learn more, it's less predictable than most anime in the genre, OST is top tier with heavy use of electronic and rhythmic elements, art and animation are top tier, character designs are above average, there's so much I could say about it.

Why is everyone relating this to OPM? OPM isn't even a typical shounen anime like this one is, they're completely different. OPM is the complete opposite of a typical shounen, that's why it's a parody. Calling this anime AOTY is a bit much, don't you think? I mean, you're entitled to your opinion, but it's mediocre at best to a lot of people. I mean, am I missing something here? Does animation and fight scenes really make all the difference?

No offense to you or anyone else.

If I need to explain, you likely won't get it anyway. "parody = opposite" - so you're saying... people don't care about the actual fights in OPM, the fights are there as a joke? I.. very, strongly disagree. The appeal of fights is the establishment of power dynamics between personalities which inform the viewer's expectations for them to then be subverted in satisfying/unexpected ways. Even if you know the outcome, seeing the interaction between characters allows you to experience their strong reactions, emotions and energy. Once you're on one "side", any plot developments become significant, as well as interesting when outside expectation.

I'd say, this anime falls into the genre of "magic-enhanced power fantasy" or something like that, you either like it or you don't. It's like Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha, or Peter Grill, or that other seasonal hentai, but.. with actual story, and some good minds behind it. Deca-dence I'd say it the second best of the season, and, while it's amazing, it's nowhere NEAR as energetic as this one.

Watching something like God of High School or OPM is like a high dose of amphetamine for me, sure, there are more intellectually stimulating anime out there, and that's normally priority 1 for me, but they don't GRAB my attention and make me value every frame of the anime. There's also the "unique endearment" factor which is so abstract I'd need to write an essay to even attempt to explain, it's subtle, but it's often the main appeal of anime, most anime have it in some form. Kind of like "I know that the producers knew that I'll know that they knew this is a bad, stupid, and irrational idea, and that's why it's a genius" and you love the producers and the anime for it. That's what makes deca-dence so great, though maybe you need to understand Japanese to appreciate the more subtle conversational ones. Anyway, it's also found, to a lesser degree, in GOHS, particularly the character designs, and the MC's personality, which is what moves it up to AOTY.

The unexpected plot developments, the overall energy, the excitability of the characters, the intense climaxes, the well-above-average execution, the top tier OST, the rare and highly appropriate style of the OP video, the animation.... All make it the strongest contender for AOTY. I mean, its competition is all stuff like Peter Grill, and f****** """Umayon"""....... which aren't even competing.

Basically, if it's better than Tower of God, that racing anime, and deca-dence, which it is, it's got a good chance of winning 'The Official 2020 Grand AOTY: International Competition' which is a *BIG* deal, in my head (maybe).

If you have any reasons why this is NOT a good anime, which you seem to do, do lay them out, I'll explain why you're objectively wrong for each and every one of them : )

I don't necessarily agree that GoH is the best shounen since OPM, but I really do like a lot of your points, especially regarding the parody aspect of OPM. Quite based.
Aug 20, 2020 7:58 PM
Jul 2018
Also that jobber guy definitely should've die to blue-haired chad's shark-stand.
Aug 20, 2020 11:39 PM
Apr 2020
so this chakra power whatever is basically whatever you want it to be?
thats convenient

i cant really see any system behind this power its just random power ups
Aug 21, 2020 3:22 AM

May 2018
nice episode. wow so much was crammed in
Aug 21, 2020 5:24 AM

Oct 2019
i'm kind of glad that there was a lot less plot to this than in other episodes and just more fighting. Fights were.. meh. Wish they were stretched out longer and more dramatic tbh.

--

👏 hyped for 2022 lockdown 👏
👏 all good things come in threes 👏

- - ✽ - -
Aug 21, 2020 7:50 PM

Aug 2015
Damn, this was an amazing episode. Loved how they gave a little backstory on the other 3 contestants Mori, Daewi and Mira were fighting.

The first match between Mori and Jang Jang-Mi was quite funny considering Mori hit the wrong pressure points. The second fight between Daewi and Jin Pum-Gwang was intense. And the last fight between the ladies was quite good - nice to see Mira win because of what she learned from Judge T.

THANK GOD Commissioner Q is alive! He is strong af. Lol, the scene with him and Commissioner O telling him his pay is being reduced again. From their fight between members of Nox shows how strong the members are with their Charyeok.

I have a feeling that Mori, Daewi and Mira may have Charyeok as well but they don't know it just yet.

The second 3 team match with the blue haired guy was intense even if it was short. Looks like he is just there to win and doesn't give a damn about others. I would not want to cross paths with him.

Can't wait to start reading the webtoon and definitely can't wait for the next episode.
Aug 22, 2020 9:38 AM

Jun 2019
Commissioner Q was a G in this episode.
Good Episode. Mori lost because of a wrong pressure point. Lol
But Daewi and Mira won, so that's good.
Aug 22, 2020 11:43 AM
Apr 2020
The anime is very normal, there is no story and the animation sometimes is only weak fights without meaning
Aug 22, 2020 9:56 PM

May 2018
Christ this show is bad, if only this was like a tenth of how good the animation is. What even was the point of making it seem like the dude was getting killed and mangled and then he's just... fine?
Aug 23, 2020 11:23 AM

Jul 2019
What are these powers? Will the story ever accelerate? This is getting worse and worse. The chibi versions for comedic relief are not good either as are the jokes. The score is not impressive either.

The only things I appreciated this episode were parts of the scythe fighting, the character design of the 2 comissioners and the fighting spirit of the team's competitors.
Aug 23, 2020 12:43 PM
Aug 2020
Seygneur said:
What are these powers? Will the story ever accelerate? This is getting worse and worse. The chibi versions for comedic relief are not good either as are the jokes. The score is not impressive either.

The only things I appreciated this episode were parts of the scythe fighting, the character design of the 2 comissioners and the fighting spirit of the team's competitors.

The main trio at this point became lame, side characters became more interesting than the main trio at this point LMFAO
Aug 24, 2020 6:21 AM
Apr 2020
Finally a proper introduction to the world of charyeok.
Personally I think charyeok is kinda similar to nen seeing how vast it is, like the commisioner said you could borrow powers to the otherworld beings such as gods,demons,heroes and etc.
One you get in hands the most op ability is kinda gg at that point.

That's backstory during the fight was a bit unnecesary but I think that was cool even the side characters having a reason why they are fighting. It's not that they are just a stepping stone for the main characters and leave them just like that, bland.

I really thought green guy was dead but I realized that they were not underlings for nothing.
I can't wait for more especially the plot continues to unveil.
Aug 24, 2020 6:41 AM

Jul 2014
Nah, I don't think I can keep up with this, so cringey. Idk, the writing is so immature, in my eyes, that it devalues the fights.
The commisoner fight started as cool, and he's a coold design, but then they introduced a lollipop-sucking girk who shoots out of a cross full of pink hentai teddy bears? Like what? Why? It's so ugly.
Aug 24, 2020 6:35 PM

Apr 2015
Deixando algo bem claro, eu não gostei desse negócio de "poderzinho aleatório".
Aug 26, 2020 8:51 PM

Jul 2013
Goddamn I like how this show handles death, definitely not your typical shounen despite being like the hotpot of shounen tropes. Also, I'm not an expert on korean names but these names hardly sound korean? They just sound weird tbh
Aug 27, 2020 8:05 AM

Jul 2012
AdolZeppeli said:
Seriously what the fuck!? the directing is all over the place, and we keep switching fights every minute, like, I can't even blink because we suddenly go towards another battle. Did they just cram 3 episodes worth of content into 1? Because this just felt rushed as hell. This is also proof that nowadays shounen can't just be balanced, because surprise, over powered powers are a thing. It's as if shounen must be all flashy and broken to be a thing. This is just a clusterfuck with no direction whatsoever. The action scenes and animation are all right, but everything else is just massively bad. And let's not talk about the god damn tonal shifts, seriously, what the fuck is wrong with Jin?

this basically how i felt watching the episode just now...
The constant switching between the fights take any hint of immersion away, the tones are completly different and each blow a character lands feels like nothing, there's no sense of impact or weight whatsoever...

It's the 7th episode and I honestly can't find it in me to care about any of the MCs much less the auditioners and the teams they're fighting....
"In the past few months since we met, I've shared many memories with Nagato. Though I've also shared memories with Haruhi, Asahina-san and Koizumi, I found that I've experienced more events with Nagato in particular. In fact, every situation seems to involve her. I might as well mention this, she's probably the only person to cause the bell within me to shake the most vigorously..." ~ Kyon, TMOSH
Aug 27, 2020 7:56 PM

Aug 2015
Half-assed character backstories for people who are obviously going to be KOed by the MCs, and most likely never seen again.
Aug 28, 2020 9:46 AM

Dec 2014
well the blue guy is really something though.. this just gets more and more better
Aug 29, 2020 10:24 AM

Jul 2008
Holy crap that lady used a cross gun!!! As a Wolfwood fan I can't help but to be a fan, but what a potty mouth.

Also these stand powers are nuts.
Aug 29, 2020 4:55 PM

Aug 2018
I think this anime would be better if it was just straight up fighting...
The supernatural stuff really isn't working imo.
I think I don't know wtf I'm doing. Maybe. Probably.

Aug 30, 2020 10:48 PM

Aug 2017
Finally, they changed the OP a bit. Rushed episode again but at least I could enjoy it more. The fight against Nox was much better than the main Tournament, also wtf with that Karin rip-off lmao. Sincerely, they reaaaaaaaaaaly love putting flashbacks of characters that I just don't care. They still need to explain why everyone don't give a fuck about the powers here.

3/5

NurguburuAug 30, 2020 10:52 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 2, 2020 5:59 PM
May 2017
ZER0PT said:
dark-chaos said:
it's funny how the audience act normal with all that superpowers ability
this anime makes no sense at all just random fights without actual logic

The audience didn't act normal. They were shocked.
Also why would you need logic in an anime? Especially a battle shounen? You are just watching the wrong thing at this point. You have plenty of more realistic shows out there.

I don't disagree with you but I just had to say of course you would be a Gintama fan and say that lol that gif is life
Sep 3, 2020 1:35 AM

Apr 2020
Harmonywind5 said:
ZER0PT said:

The audience didn't act normal. They were shocked.
Also why would you need logic in an anime? Especially a battle shounen? You are just watching the wrong thing at this point. You have plenty of more realistic shows out there.

I don't disagree with you but I just had to say of course you would be a Gintama fan and say that lol that gif is life

Gintama number 1.
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Sep 9, 2020 10:26 PM
Oct 2013
Very sad, I thought things started to heat up in ep 6 but so much for the expectation, I guess. I think the Commissioners' fight was better choreograph than any of the tournament fights in this ep. Burned my eyes watching Mira's and Daewi's fight, I would just rather they skipped the fight altogether and just showed us the commissioners'. Regardless of how this anime ending, I don't think I will ever give them rating above 7 I guess.
I cannot bring myself to rate anime that I have completed below 5. Well, it just because I have use up my precious time to watch it. so, the worse you will get from me is 5 (changes may apply)
Sep 15, 2020 6:28 PM
Jul 2018
crotaku15 said:
Jessie and James look kinda different

I thought the same thing xD
Oct 8, 2020 10:34 PM
Oct 2019
I think it's bullshit that those 3 won their tournament match without knowing how to use their JoJo "stands". So I want to see and learn about is these stands, the organizations that use them, and whatever this inter-organizational power struggle is about.

I'm mostly bored by these tournament fights. I'd be ok with a Martial arts tournament. I'd be ok with a supernatural "stand" tournament. Just seems like we're getting the worst parts of both.

A traitor? Ok, maybe that could be interesting.

Good luck to the older guy trying to finish high school. I can respect that.

Season remains a 6/10.
Oct 28, 2020 12:28 AM

Jun 2009
So can normal people actually see the Stands? How are ridiculous supernatural abilities not a big deal in this world? Why does apparently no one care that these exist?
grandy_UiDOct 28, 2020 12:33 AM
Oct 29, 2020 7:31 PM

Jul 2007
Wow, what an episode! Commisioner Q's fight got me fangirling 😍😍😍.

Also I loved Pum Kwang, such an inspiring character! It's nice to see someone like him on a series, despite being older working hard to finish his education.
Nov 20, 2020 11:34 AM
Jan 2018
Action heavy epiosde would rather it focused more on nox side ,
Nov 20, 2020 10:46 PM

Dec 2013
I wasn't expecting backstory for these random fodder characters. It didn't make me care any more for them...

The fight against Nox was at least cool. Even if I don't really know much about them.

The blue hair shark guy was brutal! Our MCs really need their own magical powers soon.
Jan 5, 2021 4:54 AM

Jul 2015
Seems like from this episode onwards everyone is going all out with the whole charyeok power...well everybody is taking it seriously except our doofus main character Jin.

Jan 18, 2021 8:29 PM
May 2020
I really hope I'm not the only one who has no idea who Nox is. Did I miss something, or was it just not explained? And why should I care about the commissioners? The only way I tell them apart is by character design, not their personalities. And what is this power system? How do people get powers from the gods?

The tournament fights weren't half bad, but the outcome after Mori lost was painfully predictable.

Also, why should I care about what happened to Mori's grandfather? I don't even know why he was fighting the people shown a few episodes ago or who those people were.
Mar 27, 2021 6:54 PM
Sep 2016
This anime is so weak.

I understood one thing, Korea can't do anime and manga at all. But they can do good music and movies.

Japan on the other hand has weak music industry and their movies are cringe trash. But they can do anime and manga, they refined that art medium like a masterful katana.

All that the Korean and Chinese anime/manga did was make me feel vomit inducing cringe.

That's just the reality of things..
Jan 10, 2022 10:16 PM
Jul 2018
JINS SECRET: eat BANANA
SAITAAMA: eat BANANA

Me: Understandable, have a nice day
May 1, 2022 12:24 PM

Feb 2018
The action and the fights are non stop but damn the pace speed is over 9000 :p
Feb 3, 2023 12:00 AM

Jun 2022
Fight scenes where cool
I like anime 
Feb 3, 2023 12:00 AM

Jun 2022
Fight scenes where cool
I like anime 
May 26, 2023 3:57 AM

Dec 2022
After a one-episode training "arc" of progression, just to have Mori Jin getting beaten by a noob is pure gold.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » The God of High School Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Jul 20, 2020

269 by --Kiyotaka-- »»
Apr 22, 6:51 PM

Poll: » The God of High School Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Jul 13, 2020

289 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 17, 4:59 AM

Poll: » The God of High School Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 6, 2020

488 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 17, 4:54 AM

Poll: » The God of High School Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

SingleH - Sep 28, 2020

336 by Cheonyu »»
Mar 2, 2:52 AM

» MAPPA

BigHomieTrapa - Aug 29, 2021

11 by JamesWilli »»
Nov 25, 2023 2:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.