Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 5, 2020 9:16 AM

Nov 2011
mozgow said:
SoraSenpai said:
God dammit! No I want to trust Frederica! PLease don't ruin my image of her! Why would she give Emilia the stone that would probably have killed her.
That's actually an easy question to answer

So basically Roswall being manipulative again?
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Aug 5, 2020 9:16 AM
May 2018
Subaru better find reinhard because elsa forced her way into this new episode lol
Aug 5, 2020 9:18 AM

Mar 2016
So we're just back to fuckery again? This episode felt very weird. Underwhelming but rather curious with some of the obvious revelations here and there. I'm in the gray regarding Emilia due to her mentally distraught experiences with the trial. Yes, I did see the prequel OVA to s1, but that alone didn't provide much about her as a character.

Just a weird segment overall, and oh yea, that bitch Elsa is back even though I'm not sure why the fuck we need her specifically again. Maybe more stuff behind the scenes is going on than we thought (minus LN readers).
Aug 5, 2020 9:19 AM

Feb 2020
Yet another slow episode.
But on the bright side, the bowel chicc is bacc
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 5, 2020 9:22 AM

Jul 2014
SoraSenpai said:
mozgow said:
That's actually an easy question to answer

Yes, that was his idea. The real question should be
Aug 5, 2020 9:25 AM
Jun 2015
sweet he finally got killed. And in Gory fashion too. 10/10. This is the ReZero I wanted. Thank you Elsa.
Aug 5, 2020 9:26 AM

Nov 2011
mozgow said:
SoraSenpai said:

Yes, that was his idea. The real question should be
Yeah that shit is bothering me fully. And the fact that Ram is still supporting him sickens me.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Aug 5, 2020 9:27 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Interesting turnout of events towards the end there, looks like we're back to the sufferings that S1 was known for. I wonder where the checkpoint this time will be, I'm guessing a lot of things could possibly depend on that.

Subaru sharing the fandom's comment on Echidna was spot-on xD.

Emilia and Subaru's relationship taking a notch up was sweet to watch as well. Garfiel brough up a good point at the end there and I'm looking forward to seeing how Subaru will reflect on it.

Roswaals' true colors, about darn time I suppose. I doubt that's all though, I'm certain he's still cooking up some dirty scheme...

I wonder if we'll get to see both the Op & ED in any episode this season, lol. It's been kind of a strange season, honestly.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 5, 2020 9:30 AM
Mar 2013
KANLen09 said:
Finally, we have the official OP that foreshadows A LOT of things we've known and not so far. Definitely an eye-opening opening to risk worth breaking down for LN readers.

Echidna's first trial for Subaru to remember his past, and she sure knows how to nitpick his memories, even to the truthful of current time. The first of 3 trials to set the Sanctuary free, only makes the heart grow fonder and stronger for the man. Emilia on the other hand though, very thoroughly petrified of the nightmares of a trial, that was as uncomfortable as heck.

Otto has a plan? That's quite bold though, but the "loli hag" from the forest and the Sanctuary representative Ryuzu makes her momentary entrance to reveal the harsh consequences that could end in instant death.

A 50/50 on setting the Sanctuary free huh, that only brings more suffering to everyone, but to each his/her own. That is ten, NO, HUNDRED times, even more infuriating with Roswaal in keeping mum whilst being subtle to Subaru, letting him figure out the true events unfolding, entirely ON HIS OWN. The plan from the very beginning, to contradict everyone and not himself, and leading Subaru on his fantasy ways as Emilia's "knight in shining armour", a plot to risk an unknown and thrust him as the next target. Unforgivable? The damage is already done...

Regardless of what's been done, the only way is to move forward. Back to the former Roswaal Mansion, and Elsa's return from Season 1 to "clean" Subaru's bowels, that sent shivers up the spine for a super frightening moment of despair. The trigger person for Subaru's "Return By Death", with the ability gone, Subaru will have an EVEN harder time getting out of this mess.

Sucks to wait another week for more suffering...

What do you mean by " the trigger person for subaru's abikity" and " with the ability gone"??
Aug 5, 2020 9:30 AM

Jul 2013
Was very sweet that, even if they were not real, Subaru still defended his parents from the acusations of Echidna. He does love his parents indeed :')
I liked the reaction of Subaru upon seeing finally an old woman loli.

Emilia's past has to be so traumatic for her to end in that state of fear. I really want to see it.

Everyone is so suspicious. Echidna, Roswaal, Ram, even Beatrice (who was only named in this episode). The conversation of Roswaal and Subaru was very tense. Roswaal always seemed very suspicious to me, so I'm awaiting to see what he's pretending with all his actions through the anime. I'm kinda suspicious of Frederica too, even if she said she just followed Roswaal's orders, until proven otherwise, she enters to list of fishy people too.

Aaaaaand Subaru is dead. As soon as he entered into the mansion and everything was so quiet, I figured out he wasn't going to end well, and I was right. I suppose being 5 episodes without dying (not counting the one where he killed himself to brought Rem back in the 26th episode, since he didn't end the episode dead) was way too much for him already lol.
Elsa's reappearance was chilling as heck.It was evident she was gonna appear at some point since she appeared in the opening, and her return hasn't disappointed. Time to see what's next checking point.
IllyricusAug 5, 2020 9:33 AM
Aug 5, 2020 9:34 AM

Apr 2013
So, we back to rezero starting point again..
I wonder where and when the Subaru's reset point..
Next week cannot wait..

#PrayforBeirut
Aug 5, 2020 9:38 AM
Apr 2018
Subaru is a man of culture I see :D
I want to see Echidna again...
Roswaal is indeed a genius mastermind asshole for what he did (or should I say didn't).
Elsa is back for new gut wrenching moments!
Manaarii_0Aug 5, 2020 3:03 PM
Aug 5, 2020 9:48 AM
Jun 2020
So it looks like we're going to get some more backstory on Emilia which is cool. We finally got the opening. Even though I've already listened to it it sounds great and the animations of the opening were amazing. Clearly a lot of death was displayed in it. Rosswal finally revealing why he was letting Subaru do his dirty work. That was quite the shocker that he knew what would happen all along. They finally brought back Elsa who honestly should have came back in season 1 but better late then never. There's a rule in storytelling, if you cock a gun that gun should go off within the next chapter. It's alright though, it's not too far away. More mystery surrounding Bea, can't wait to see what that's all about. Overall a masterpiece of an episode but I did think it was weird that we finally got the opening but we didn't get the ending this episode. 5/5
Aug 5, 2020 9:49 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
This Echidna girl is too annoying ffs. Meh episode.

3/5
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Aug 5, 2020 9:53 AM

Nov 2016
Manaarii_0 said:

Roswaal is indeed a genius mastermind asshole for what he did (or should I say didn't).

it's been hinted several times that Roswaal knows of subaru's return by death power so maybe that's what he has been relying on or maybe he probably knows even more about subaru's purpose in this world than even subaru knows himself

the guy has done a lot of weird things like just happening to be there to save rem and ram in the middle of their clan being killed off by the witches' cult and taking in emilia when everyone thinks shes the evil witch, the guy has a DUM DUM DUUUMMMM a masterplan
vanillaskynetAug 5, 2020 10:00 AM
Aug 5, 2020 9:55 AM
Dec 2019
this might sound weird but i knew that the real shit is going to start as soon as subaru dies
Aug 5, 2020 9:55 AM

Mar 2020
I'm sure Roswaal has to know more about Subaru than we think. No matter how much he knows that Subaru will white knight for Emilia, that would all be useless if Subaru cannot accomplish anything with those desires. He somehow knew Subaru would be capable of defusing the scheme he created, even though outwardly Subaru does not have any obvious powers. I think Roswaal knows more about Subaru and his abilities, since he uses magic so maybe he can sense something in Subaru.
Aug 5, 2020 10:02 AM
Jun 2016
Lol classic Subaru in the beginning. Doesn't miss a beat.

Echinoda has the right amount of creepiness and cuteness. She's definitely a contender, but Emilia still takes the cake thanks to this episode.

Surprised to see Subaru barely phased by her taunts. He stood steadfast. That's improvement.

So I was right, the trial isn't completely over. Rather, the trial is over but there are more trials. I wonder why she used the word question first.
I can't tell if these are translation errors or if there's something significant about word choice. You never know with this anime.

She seems awfully obsessed and prideful about her youthful appearance, referring to herself as a tender, young maiden, and a girl, even though she must be very old.
I wonder if all these people are older than we think. Puck is very old. Beatrice must be old. Satella is very old. That means all the witches are old. But they still look youthful.
I wonder if that's not their true form, just like Puck is usually not in his true form.

So Echinoda can mess with memories. Immediately I think of Emilia losing her memories in the OVA.

Echinoda also prides herself on knowing so much, which I guess is why she has taken such an interest in Subaru, because he's hard to predict.

Will Subaru remember Echinoda after this meeting?

As I suspected, Emilia had a much harder time with her trial. I have never seen Emilia look so distraught. So out of character. They did that scene well.
Imagine us anime onlies going for years with seeing Emilia as this perfect girl, only to see this. That gives you an idea of how frightening this was to see.
This scene led me to believe that either

Thank you Subaru for venting out all of our frustrations with Roswall. Knew that there was more to him than meets the eye. He must've known what was going on
in his own domain, especially since Beatrice knew. I think

Now I think I understand what Frederica was trying to do.

I wonder if her personal reason for leaving the mansion was because she was undergoing the trials too, and she managed to escape, and that's why she and Garfiel don't get alone.

Emilia was too cute this episode. Enough said.

Wow, Garfiel just comes right out and confirms that he likes Ram. What a guy.

Interesting how Ram has complete trust in Roswall. She would've died for him no problem. Roswall didn't wonder about Rem, interesting.

Interesting how Roswall used the word "question" when giving Subaru the message about Beatrice. Echinoda used the same word when referring to trial.

OMG Elsa is back! Ew, Subaru slipped on his own intenstines. TV Tokyo wouldn't have allowed that before. She was so fast and slick and he was so distracted by Rem that he didn't even notice her.

Looks like we have our first Subaru death, finally. I wonder how far back he'll go (hopefully after the trial is done), and if Echinoda will lose her memories too of him.

Frederica is nowhere to be seen. Has she been killed or

Note: All of my questions are rhetorical, please don't spoil, don't even confirm or deny my theories. I just wanted to get my thoughts out there.

Edit: What’s up with Byuza, she seemed like such a significant character that randomly popped up, a half-elf I presume, and she has a cool staff, is probably as old as the Witches, and she was kind of just brushed off. She didn’t even get to meet with Emilia.
PraiseThe1Aug 5, 2020 11:18 AM
Aug 5, 2020 10:02 AM

Apr 2015
Elsa is back! Loving the atmosphere of this episode.

Aug 5, 2020 10:07 AM

Jan 2017
Sorry, WHAT? I've only heard rumors, but wasn't it said that Elsa died after the first arc?

Really enjoyed this episode, though. It's been a while since Subaru last died. I knew something was off in the mansion as soon as the setting sun blanketed a crimson red color over the sky.

I'm also ecstatic that Emilia's being explored more in the second season. She's been too flat and one-dimensional since the first season for me to have any interest in her, so I can't wait to see where her character goes from here.
Aug 5, 2020 10:24 AM

May 2018
Roswaal obviously has ulterior motive taking Emilia side. Can't be trusted. My guess is that it has something to do with Echidna.
Aug 5, 2020 10:24 AM

Sep 2014
Emilia sure has it hard with her trial damn, really curious what's happening there.
Good to see best assassin waifu is back hehe.
Aug 5, 2020 10:27 AM
Jun 2016
mozgow said:
I waited for so long to see Elsa again :D
And I loved all the foreshadowing too.

@fullofregrets09, the hint was there :)

I’m going to have to rewatch. My connection was for some reason terrible today. I was about to flip my table. Took me an hour to load the episode. Guess we crashed their servers.

Us mere anime-onlies waited so much longer to see her!
Aug 5, 2020 10:30 AM

Aug 2018
Elsa learned her lesson, she gave no chance at all to Subaru. That makes her even more dangerous!
I think I don't know wtf I'm doing. Maybe. Probably.

Aug 5, 2020 10:33 AM
Sep 2008
Welp, I guess he's gonna go back to right after he finished the trial
Aug 5, 2020 10:34 AM
Dec 2018
I was getting strong Aizen vibes when Roswaal stated all the plans that would unfold.

This comment was all part of Roswaal's plan lol.

I know now that I know nothing.

Aug 5, 2020 10:36 AM
Sep 2008
Nainu_ said:
Watching Emilia experiencing psychological trauma was downright uncomfortable. Similar to Subaru but amplified ten times the pain.

As for the actions of Roswaal, even though it may look like cowardice to him it is justified so that the villagers may look to Emilia in a different light. But, it was unforgivable in the expense of the others who've died.

Damn, the villain from season 1 (forgot her name) is back. They've really shown Subaru's intestines huh...

Can't wait for the next one.

I'll be honest, I didn't realize those were his intestines at first, screen was so dark it just looked like blood that he slipped on lol
Aug 5, 2020 10:39 AM
Sep 2008
Ryuzagi said:
YAY Echidna in school uniform.

And the real suffering begins

was this something that was cut or they just didn't get to it?
Aug 5, 2020 10:41 AM

Jul 2016
fullofregrets09 said:

And we know the Witch Factor is transferred through bodily fluids.[/spoiler]

There was a mistranslation at this part.
Subaru already had the Witch Factor of Sloth. He gained it when Petelgeuse died.
Echidna's tea only made it easier for Subaru to assimilate the Witch Factor. At least that was the original explanation given in the Web Novel.

Most commonly, a Witch Factor is transfered when its host dies.
Aug 5, 2020 10:41 AM
Feb 2020
Omniculus said:
Sorry, WHAT? I've only heard rumors, but wasn't it said that Elsa died after the first arc?

Really enjoyed this episode, though. It's been a while since Subaru last died. I knew something was off in the mansion as soon as the setting sun blanketed a crimson red color over the sky.

I'm also ecstatic that Emilia's being explored more in the second season. She's been too flat and one-dimensional since the first season for me to have any interest in her, so I can't wait to see where her character goes from here.

nah she took off after Reinhardt bombed the house with a sword.
Aug 5, 2020 10:42 AM
Sep 2008
chid_emordi1 said:
Starting to really like Echidna even though I know she is evil and is probably going to betray or hurt Subura in the future!
The OP was really liked the message- "If it is to save you (the people Subura cares about etc Emila and Rem), I don't care how many time I die.
I think we can ALL agree with Subura that Dona did look good in that SCHOOL UNIFORM!
I like that Subura didn't fall for Dona's manipulation and standing up for this paren-even if it was artificial he still said what he had and overcome his past

It is really uncomfortable and sad to see Emilia go psychological trauma I really hope she can overcome her past soon

It is surprising to see that Roswaal trusted Subura that much that he know Subura would do anything in his power to save Emilia. If even though it was clever to improve the citizen of Arlam village reputation with Emilia it doesn't the justify the people that Roswaal WILLINGLY let dead.

HOLY SHIT ELSA IS BACK I didn't expect that! And she is so powerful she moved so quick that Subura tripped over his OWN INTESTINES

I am getting hyped even one his hyping up this next arc/next episode. I CAN'T WAIT

Why do people call Echidna Dona? Did I miss something?
Aug 5, 2020 10:43 AM

Feb 2016
Subaru be like: Ah Shit, here we go again.

Welp, not much happened in this episode and we're going to rewind, so yeah...
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Aug 5, 2020 10:44 AM
Feb 2020
swordmaster2551 said:
chid_emordi1 said:
Starting to really like Echidna even though I know she is evil and is probably going to betray or hurt Subura in the future!
The OP was really liked the message- "If it is to save you (the people Subura cares about etc Emila and Rem), I don't care how many time I die.
I think we can ALL agree with Subura that Dona did look good in that SCHOOL UNIFORM!
I like that Subura didn't fall for Dona's manipulation and standing up for this paren-even if it was artificial he still said what he had and overcome his past

It is really uncomfortable and sad to see Emilia go psychological trauma I really hope she can overcome her past soon

It is surprising to see that Roswaal trusted Subura that much that he know Subura would do anything in his power to save Emilia. If even though it was clever to improve the citizen of Arlam village reputation with Emilia it doesn't the justify the people that Roswaal WILLINGLY let dead.

HOLY SHIT ELSA IS BACK I didn't expect that! And she is so powerful she moved so quick that Subura tripped over his OWN INTESTINES

I am getting hyped even one his hyping up this next arc/next episode. I CAN'T WAIT

Its sort of her fandom nickname, the original fantranslation for the web novel had her name as ´´Echidona´´ so people just kind of shortened it, another example of this was Ryuzu from this episode being translated as Lewes.
Aug 5, 2020 10:44 AM
Oct 2019
swordmaster2551 said:
chid_emordi1 said:

I don't know. I just saw someone else type it and it sounded like a cute nickname so I started using it
Aug 5, 2020 10:46 AM
Sep 2008
Fmab123 said:
So it looks like we're going to get some more backstory on Emilia which is cool. We finally got the opening. Even though I've already listened to it it sounds great and the animations of the opening were amazing. Clearly a lot of death was displayed in it. Rosswal finally revealing why he was letting Subaru do his dirty work. That was quite the shocker that he knew what would happen all along. They finally brought back Elsa who honestly should have came back in season 1 but better late then never. There's a rule in storytelling, if you cock a gun that gun should go off within the next chapter. It's alright though, it's not too far away. More mystery surrounding Bea, can't wait to see what that's all about. Overall a masterpiece of an episode but I did think it was weird that we finally got the opening but we didn't get the ending this episode. 5/5

Was the OP different from the last time it was in an episode? I didn't pay attention this time lol
Aug 5, 2020 10:47 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm Echidna actually looks nice in that uniform. Konomi's vocals are as strong as ever but its nice to hear her again. So the first trial was facing the past huh. So the reality of his family was just a replica then. Still its good to see Subaru managed to pass the first trial. The trial though sure did a number on Emilia though. Its cute seeing Emilia reach out to Subaru for support even if just subconsciously. The news of the conservative faction though sure served to make the mood within the village that much more tense. Its scary in just how far Roswaal plans ahead as well as the amount of faith he had in Subaru the latter of which was one of extreme risk. Overall a solid ep that did well to expand upon the trials that must be faced in order to free Sanctuary. From the effects it had on her facing her past sure is painful for Emilia. Im quite curious to see what the conservative faction would do in their attempt to protect the village though. Subaru sure had quite the unexpected reunion at the mansion in the form of Elsa.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jul 2014
swordmaster2551 said:
Ryuzagi said:

They're probably talking about the WN, because that scene won't happen till the end of volume 12. For reference, this episode adapted the final chapter from volume 10.
Sep 2008
vanillaskynet said:
Manaarii_0 said:

it's been hinted several times that Roswaal knows of subaru's return by death power so maybe that's what he has been relying on or maybe he probably knows even more about subaru's purpose in this world than even subaru knows himself

the guy has done a lot of weird things like just happening to be there to save rem and ram in the middle of their clan being killed off by the witches' cult and taking in emilia when everyone thinks shes the evil witch, the guy has a DUM DUM DUUUMMMM a masterplan

Probably part of the witches cult, you know, old friends with betelgeuse and them, just likes having brewskis and reviving witches.
Aug 5, 2020 10:48 AM

Apr 2020
Here we go, Subaru dies yet again.
It's like Subaru playing dark souls without a damn weapon.
But we all watch the series to see him suffer anyways... XD
Episode was 10/10 stuff...Too good!
Must love Moe!
Darkness prevails!!
Slice of Life is all we need!
Aug 5, 2020 11:03 AM

Apr 2020
Tsundere_Slayer said:
Here we go, Subaru dies yet again.
It's like Subaru playing dark souls without a damn weapon.
But we all watch the series to see him suffer anyways... XD
Episode was 10/10 stuff...Too good!

For Subaru death is but a scratch.... XD
Must love Moe!
Darkness prevails!!
Slice of Life is all we need!
Aug 5, 2020 11:03 AM
Jun 2016
QcDiablo said:
fullofregrets09 said:

And we know the Witch Factor is transferred through bodily fluids.[/spoiler]

There was a mistranslation at this part.
Subaru already had the Witch Factor of Sloth. He gained it when Petelgeuse died.
Echidna's tea only made it easier for Subaru to assimilate the Witch Factor. At least that was the original explanation given in the Web Novel.

Most commonly, a Witch Factor is transfered when its host dies.

Oh, well I guess one could still believe that when Satella devoured all the witches
I still think that Beatrice’s choosing of the word devour has a deeper meaning.
Aug 5, 2020 11:07 AM

May 2020
cchigu said:

3/5

This ep was hype . She wasn’t annoying at all what are u talking about. She was so cute haha. Do you watch the same anime as everyone else
Aug 5, 2020 11:14 AM

Jun 2014
Oh shit I wasn't expecting that woman from the beginning of S1 to come back. What a cliffhanger we got this week.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Aug 5, 2020 11:15 AM
Feb 2020
Natsude_tanaka said:
cchigu said:

3/5

This ep was hype . She wasn’t annoying at all what are u talking about. She was so cute haha. Do you watch the same anime as everyone else

dont worry about it, dude s a troll every episode he does a comment with the same formula adds ´´meh or boring´´ episode then gives it 3/5
Aug 5, 2020 11:17 AM

May 2012
Re:Zero the god of cliffhangers!

Elsa is back! crazy how long it has been since she first showed up. I wonder how she made it so far into the mansion. I would think Beatrice would had stopped her.

Also I would like to see Emilia past. I don't recall us hearing about her Father, but I would like to see what's terrifying her.

I will assume Subaru will go back two days from now and try to convince Garfiel to go back earlier in time.

A slow ep, but the end got me hyped. Also Echidna did look good in that school uniform.
Aug 5, 2020 11:24 AM
Sep 2008
So now that everyone has seen the OP cause I guess people skipped it before when it was at the end?

Which sin is Elsa associated with you guys think? There aren't many left and she's with the other archbishops in the OP. Probably just Lust, lust always gets those outfits.
Aug 5, 2020 11:27 AM
Jun 2016
Antearion said:
Re:Zero the god of cliffhangers!

Elsa is back! crazy how long it has been since she first showed up. I wonder how she made it so far into the mansion. I would think Beatrice would had stopped her.

Also I would like to see Emilia past. I don't recall us hearing about her Father, but I would like to see what's terrifying her.

I will assume Subaru will go back two days from now and try to convince Garfiel to go back earlier in time.

A slow ep, but the end got me hyped. Also Echidna did look good in that school uniform.

If you haven’t already, watch the Frozen Bond OVA, it’s pretty much necessary at this point (at least imo), it will give you a little more insight into Emilia’s past.
Aug 5, 2020 11:28 AM

Feb 2014
The best part about Re:Zero is seeing how Subaru will die next, hopefully one day he won't come back from the dead
Aug 5, 2020 11:42 AM

Nov 2019
swordmaster2551 said:
Ryuzagi said:

Aug 5, 2020 11:43 AM

Jul 2014
And yet another episode giving us a lot to unpack, even before Elsa's return at the end. First is the fact that Emilia can't pass the first trial no matter how many times she tries, which honestly doesn't surprise me given the hints of her past given to us in Hyouketsu no Kizuna; it seems that special only scratched the surface of Emilia's backstory, and it was already pretty grim from what we saw. However, what is more interesting is the crux it puts our characters in: Subaru understandably doesn't want to do the trials in Emilia's place (due to it likely setting a bad precedent and damaging Emilia's prospects in the royal selection), but Emilia's trauma means that he is almost certainly going to be forced to continue the trials from this point. And it seems reasonable to suggest that Echidna expected this outcome, given her reaction to Subaru's claim that he wouldn't be the one to complete the trials.

Speaking of the trials, we again learned some crucial details about them this week, not least the fact that there's more than one of them (not really too surprising in hindsight, though). I asked the question a couple episodes ago why Garfiel couldn't do the trial himself, and based on his response to Subaru, it seems that some "contract" stops the Sanctuary natives from taking it on. My inference from this is that this was a deal struck with Echidna so as to force a situation where an outsider has to intervene to break the barrier. In other words, I get the feeling that she anticipated Emilia's existence and set this up so that she would be forced inside the barrier to take on the trials. And if that's the case, this may well be another of the Ordeals that Betelgeuse mentioned in season 1.

And then there's Roswaal. So far, this season has been strongly hinting that Roswaal is not what he seems, and so it proves with it now being practically confirmed that he has ties to the Witch's Cult. However, what these ties are is still left unclear: on the one hand, it could just be that he has agents within the cult and used them to leak the information about Emilia and encourage them to attack, but at the same time it could well be that he directly approached them and ordered them to carry out the first Ordeal. Currently, his phrasing leads me to believe that he was directly involved in getting the Cult to attack, which suggests to me that he's a figure of considerable authority within the Cult. After all, this would suggest that he was important enough to directly order a Sin Archbishop - the current leading figures within the Witch's Cult, based on our current understanding of their structure - to carry out a huge attack within the domain of one of the royal selection candidates.

While his reasoning for doing this - essentially as a publicity stunt to make Emilia less suspicious and more popular with the locals and maybe even within the kingdom somewhat - seems to go against that idea, it in fact just makes me more suspicious: as Subaru rightly points out, the idea was at best an insane gamble, expecting that they would be able to get through it without his help. Moreover, his faith in Subaru at that point in the narrative (i.e. just after he humiliated himself at the initial royal selection ceremony) seems entirely misplaced based on what he should know, which raises the question: what more does Roswaal know? Does he know about Return by Death, knowing that Subaru would be able to try and try again until he and Emilia broke through the first Ordeal?

Whatever the case, it's all very suspicious. And I'm guessing now that Subaru will reset to some point after the first trial, essentially forcing him into a situation where he has to undergo the others. Was that part of the plan too? I guess we'll find out.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Emilia chest size increase

MuscularBlackMan - Jul 23, 2020

13 by RaptorDan »»
May 9, 6:47 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Sep 30, 2020

505 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 25, 6:36 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Aug 26, 2020

604 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 25, 6:02 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kaiseki - Sep 23, 2020

453 by titty »»
Apr 11, 9:11 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

DeadlyRaven - Sep 16, 2020

675 by titty »»
Apr 11, 8:41 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.