Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 24, 2020 10:03 AM

Apr 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well. It looks like the Blue has begun. Soma's first trial was against an old man that seemed to be at the end of his ropes. However, Soma on the other said otherwise. That ending there. And much more complicated things to come.
Jul 24, 2020 10:08 AM

Feb 2018
At least Souma had gotten past the old man challenge, Yukihira 44 version of Dish? I've never heard of that. What's wrong with that tooth, lol.
Jul 24, 2020 10:10 AM

Aug 2013
Souma manaed to pass the first trial. And so has Megumi and Takumi.

So Tsukasa is competing in the Blue.

Jul 24, 2020 10:19 AM

Jan 2014
I missed these honestly. The foot competitions. Been a long time coming.

Though, this new villain seems way too forced and over the top for me.
Jul 24, 2020 10:27 AM
Oct 2019
cooking process ?
rushed
eishi in the 2nd gate not 1st gate (manga) ?
so in the next episode will they show the chainsaw ?
ithyphallic60Jul 24, 2020 10:30 AM
Jul 24, 2020 10:29 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
He really saved the oldman from killing himself thanks to his dishes XD sounds very weird, at least he passed the first trial.
Eishi at the end, wow !
Jul 24, 2020 10:31 AM
Sep 2016
Positives:

The jokes with the other trails Megumi and Takumi did and the old man bowing to the stone pillar got me to laugh.

A supporting character actually gets to do something with Tsukasa joining.
Negatives:
Pretty much everything else.

Even now, Saiba is such a non-threatening antagonist. Say what you will about Azami but at least he looked the part and he actually had the backstory to back him up. Maybe it's the dumb beret or the fact that the writers and directors are desperately trying to make him seem dangerous and evil (I mean, his cohorts were wearing fucking KKK outfits) but it just doesn't work. It also doesn't help that his cohorts quite possibly the dumbest looking designs in the show thus far. I get that their underworld chefs which mean they make breakfasts for old crime bosses but a clown? A guy that would get face tattoos in real life? Yeah, there's being evil and being a joke. These guys just feel like jokes to me.

With everything else, was that test a little bullshit? I mean, the old guy literally stated all he wants his underworld food, which isn't that a little unfair to the contestants who don't touch that shit? Seems a little fucking skewed to the other guys but whatever.

Also, what's Saiba's plan? To marry Erina? Does he think that constantly insulting her friends works? I really don't understand what his plan his becuase it seems pretty cut and dry? Is he just going to keep coming after her even if she says no so she'll go full Stockholm Syndrome? It seems so simple but it's also confusing.

Also, it sounds strange to say, but that OP is really misleading because they show every character in the show even though some of them have gotten like, 5 seconds of screentime this season. You could've made the OP more concise and more plot-heavy but Nah, let's just show every character there is and slap their names on them even though by this point, everyone knows their names.
It really do be like that though.

Jul 24, 2020 10:39 AM

Jul 2017
ah, so the cooking-KK....I mean noir was actually just a bunch of wacky cosplayers this whole time? noice

wasn't expecting Tsukasa to appear at the end though ngl
Jul 24, 2020 10:47 AM
Aug 2018
Nice Chill Episode.
The competition's getting started up, and unusual themes this time lol.
Erina going through a harder route? (must be a reason for it perhaps)

Very Very Interesting ending with former first seat Tsukasa appearance!
Really hyped me up for what's potentially to come.

Not a manga reader, so I'm keeping my mind open and fresh.
Hopefully things turn out well.
Jul 24, 2020 10:56 AM

Nov 2018
So the BLUE Arc has begun, the Arc that almost everyone says it's terrible, this episode was pretty cool though, I'm excited to see what happens next.

The old man having another gun to plan killing himself was unexpected, and Eishi Tsukasa is competing too.

I don't like the design of the members from Noir, apart from Asahi Nakiri, but he seems like a really dumb guy.

SEIBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Jul 24, 2020 11:03 AM
Oct 2019
caliburn1337 said:
So the BLUE Arc has begun, the Arc that almost everyone says it's terrible, this episode was pretty cool though, I'm excited to see what happens next.

The old man having another gun to plan killing himself was unexpected, and Eishi Tsukasa is competing too.

I don't like the design of the members from Noir, apart from Asahi Nakiri, but he seems like a really dumb guy.

do u want spoiler with details or not on y almost everyone says it's terrible
Jul 24, 2020 11:05 AM

Jul 2013
Ngl, Souma saving that old man from killing himself with his dish was actually touching.
Didn't expect Eishi to come back that fast after the previous season, but I welcome his return.

On another note, is nice to see what was of the clown of Akame ga Kill after they omitted him from the anime. Good to see he left his dark past behind and now dedicates to cooking.

Jul 24, 2020 11:14 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Damn, the stakes and ridiculousness of this series really knows no bounds. Much to my positive reception though, don't get me wrong there.

Souma rekindling fire back in the old chef was out of this world xD. Serving him the first appetizer in preparation to the eventual final dish, huh? Amazing, I will never get tired of these lol.

Sounds like the other two had it quite rough too in unusual ways. Is this the kind of versatility this whole competition is testing?

Erina having a different trial all together, I wonder what's the significance behind that. So far, it seems as though the Noir are having the greater hand both in the competition and possibly behind the scenes too?

Leader of the WGO Bookworms. But, more importantly, that Tsukasa-senpai reveal at the end. Pretty darn hype, yeah! Definitely stoked to see what's coming next!

By the way, production of the season is complete over in J.C. Staff according to the Director-san. Here's the tweet: https://twitter.com/yonetanikantoku/status/1286265896843882496
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 24, 2020 11:17 AM

Jan 2014
The chapter was a shitshow but It made me laugh. On a side note I hope that Soma finally gets his rematch with Tsukasa
Jul 24, 2020 11:20 AM

Mar 2018
Did those noir guys just come from the circus? Whatever the case they look stupid as hell. That trial was also rigged in their favour and I don't understand how they got away with it. Extremely unfair for everyone else and I have to wonder if it's intentional or just bad writing. Animation was lazy like always and it's rushed like no show I've seen previously. Worst show of the year contender for sure.
Jul 24, 2020 11:31 AM
Feb 2020
I have a feeling Soma will really struggle in the blue unless he wins against his Daddy first .-.
Jul 24, 2020 11:58 AM

Feb 2020
Didn't expect to see a white knight. HYPE for the next episode. Lol
Jul 24, 2020 12:25 PM
Jul 2019
Oh great them Nior baddies weren't just a group of maverick chefs , but also a group of fashion criminals as well.....

So, does anybody notices that Erina's competitions were the very ones that failed to make that old man's last meal, wtf is that a loser's round?????
Jul 24, 2020 12:32 PM

Feb 2014
This challenge was, for me, one of the better chapters of the BLUE arc in the manga and the anime did a good job in adapting it as a whole.

The challenge as a whole was very biased towards the noir cooks, but it was a rather pathetic sight to see a lot of the normal chefs not having the skills or talent to think outside the box.

For Soma, this wasn't too difficult for him as his appetiser dish packed enough punch to satisfy the old man and convinced him to not have his "last supper" just yet. It's understandable as to why the old guy would think like this, since he's too old to continue cooking as a noir, so he feels as if he has no more purpose in living.

With that in mind, it was nice of Soma to change his mind to continue within that endless wilderness of food for a bit longer. =)

Tsukasa makes his return for the second gate's challenge, so I do look forward to seeing some foodgasms here... =P
Jul 24, 2020 12:39 PM

May 2019
I enjoyed this episode even though I have no hopes for the rest of the season. Nakiri looks really pretty. And the new dude's annoying as usual.

Good to see Tsukasa back!
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Jul 24, 2020 1:09 PM

Nov 2016
Wtf is this shit lmao, now we have a challenge where they have to make a last plate to an old guy that no one fuckin knows except the people from his own group, that are also in the challenge??? How the fuck does that make sense?? It's literally like cheating, and also wtf are those character designs, the only good one and isn't even a cheff.

This last thing is already very known, but still, they had almost 3 months to fix or make a little better the animation, and they did it even worse, using CGI for nothing. Trash season so far.

Even the anime says the bullshit of this episode, that the Noir group has the advantage.
AlvaritoterreosJul 24, 2020 1:23 PM
Jul 24, 2020 1:14 PM

Nov 2016
Cdynamo said:
Positives:

The jokes with the other trails Megumi and Takumi did and the old man bowing to the stone pillar got me to laugh.

A supporting character actually gets to do something with Tsukasa joining.
Negatives:
Pretty much everything else.

Even now, Saiba is such a non-threatening antagonist. Say what you will about Azami but at least he looked the part and he actually had the backstory to back him up. Maybe it's the dumb beret or the fact that the writers and directors are desperately trying to make him seem dangerous and evil (I mean, his cohorts were wearing fucking KKK outfits) but it just doesn't work. It also doesn't help that his cohorts quite possibly the dumbest looking designs in the show thus far. I get that their underworld chefs which mean they make breakfasts for old crime bosses but a clown? A guy that would get face tattoos in real life? Yeah, there's being evil and being a joke. These guys just feel like jokes to me.

With everything else, was that test a little bullshit? I mean, the old guy literally stated all he wants his underworld food, which isn't that a little unfair to the contestants who don't touch that shit? Seems a little fucking skewed to the other guys but whatever.

Also, what's Saiba's plan? To marry Erina? Does he think that constantly insulting her friends works? I really don't understand what his plan his becuase it seems pretty cut and dry? Is he just going to keep coming after her even if she says no so she'll go full Stockholm Syndrome? It seems so simple but it's also confusing.

Also, it sounds strange to say, but that OP is really misleading because they show every character in the show even though some of them have gotten like, 5 seconds of screentime this season. You could've made the OP more concise and more plot-heavy but Nah, let's just show every character there is and slap their names on them even though by this point, everyone knows their names.
With the Opening thing, the studio has been doing that almost every season, they take the character in a .png another .png with the name, and you have the whole opening.
Really lazy and bad.
Jul 24, 2020 1:14 PM

Apr 2018
Excited to see Erina trial
and so glad Tsukasa joined the competition

Rin Asogi
(RIN: Daughters of Mnemosyne)
Jul 24, 2020 3:18 PM

Mar 2019
You are never too old to dicover new things. There are always new things to learn. Soma is right, never say the word "last"...
Jul 24, 2020 3:36 PM

Jun 2020
I hate you J.C staff, I just hate you. They managed to ruin a really good anime with amazing plot and turned it into a shit show. Clowns? Really? So they served underground mafia bosses with clown makeup? I miss the OG cast, literally all of them, I miss them, they were the bread and butter of the anime, but the anime just said fuck you to them and inserted a bunch of BS we have no clue about, like the food KKK. I hate it. I hate you for ruining one of the best ecchi anime ever.

I said keep your hands on the table
Jul 24, 2020 5:00 PM

Jun 2014
Obviously our main trio competing will pass their respective trials, now they move on to the second round and Tsukasa is back as well to spice things up.

Also, someone in the comment section on the site where I watched the episode pointed out something interesting: how the anime completely changed how Erina was supposed to be kidnapped by Asahi (and if I remember correctly, there was still no one who knew yet by this point), but then toward the end of the episode, our main trio is confused about where Erina is even though they just saw her earlier in the episode and were made aware of her having to undergo a separate set of trials. Looks like the production staff messed up the consistency there xD
thebrentinator24Jul 24, 2020 5:11 PM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jul 24, 2020 5:25 PM

Jul 2017
Well, everything about Noir just doesn't make any fucking sense, which pretty much ruins the experience for me. From their stupid designs to their function. Who the hell lets some underworld cooks (which already sounds stupid to my eyes tbh) to participate in a large-scale worldwide cooking contest which even has judges who worked with them? And even worse, who the hell let the old man bring a freaking gun to a cooking contest?

On the other hand, why in, again, a large-scale worldwide contest, does Erina, someone who no one even cares about in that contest, has to do a different trial?
And the contest itself is pretty much broken by the fact that all the Noir guys are cheating in your face and everyone else's faces, and no one even cares a bit, they just adapt to it like it's some special rule and that's it. Why does literally no one complain about Noir cheating? Are the Totsuki cooks the only smart ones in the whole contest?

The main "villain" still looks cheap and shit for me, and it's an insult to most villains to call him as such. Why does a cooking show even need a villain in the first place?

Holy shit, this is full of incoherencies. I didn't think I would ever rage so much about a single episode, lol.
ShinkafeMagnaJul 24, 2020 5:28 PM
Jul 24, 2020 5:41 PM
Review Moderator
Book Princess

Nov 2018
Having Souma's choice to defy the theme of the contest lead to victory is ridiculous. Having his food magically save the old guy's live trivializes the old man's problems and turns suicide from a serious issue to a check the box plot point. Just stop making every move of your protagonist magically save someone, please. It cheapens everything you do.
Every day you can read a book or watch some anime is a good day!
Jul 24, 2020 6:06 PM

Aug 2018
Anyone knows the voice actor of the WGO boss?
It totally seemed like adult Shinobu aka Kiss-Shot Acerola-Orion Heart-Under-Blade.
Which is probably the only thing I liked about this season so far
Jul 24, 2020 6:21 PM

Jan 2020
Arin-san said:
I hate you J.C staff, I just hate you. They managed to ruin a really good anime with amazing plot and turned it into a shit show. Clowns? Really? So they served underground mafia bosses with clown makeup? I miss the OG cast, literally all of them, I miss them, they were the bread and butter of the anime, but the anime just said fuck you to them and inserted a bunch of BS we have no clue about, like the food KKK. I hate it. I hate you for ruining one of the best ecchi anime ever.

Why you blaming JC staff while the anime setting is actually is same as the actual source material (manga) ? In fact manga executed this in even worse way
Jul 24, 2020 6:27 PM

Jul 2016
What's the whole deal about "underworld" food? It's not like criminals somehow have different diet or taste than anyone else. The way they're trying to over-dramatize the whole underworld thing and force the idea that the rival is supposedly "evil" is ruining this arc.
Jul 24, 2020 6:49 PM

May 2020
I'm happy to see the blue has finally started. The new villains look strange and I feel like the whole "Noir" group is a little forced but still an interesting concept. I'm also excited to see Tsukasa again. The upcoming episodes should be good and filled with some good cooking battles.
Jul 24, 2020 7:40 PM
Jun 2017
YES, YES AND YES--- BLUE competition have started, and love the theme they are using in this one... Soma, megumi and takumi all have different themes, and erina's test will surely be an exciting one..

lets see what will happen next week
Jul 24, 2020 7:49 PM
Apr 2018
Metallica_Nero said:
It totally seemed like adult Shinobu aka Kiss-Shot Acerola-Orion Heart-Under-Blade.
Yeah, I think the WGO boss is voiced by MAAYA SAKAMOTO ; the same VA who voiced Shinobu.
Jul 24, 2020 8:02 PM

Jul 2017
Metallica_Nero said:

She's voiced by Sakamoto Maaya (Shinobu's VA) though I'm not 100% sure because she's not credited as "WGO Boss" or such
Jul 24, 2020 8:50 PM
Aug 2017
The possible suicide of the old man could be so much better and give an special touch to the episode.
Jul 24, 2020 9:03 PM

Jun 2020
kayuza77 said:
Arin-san said:

Why you blaming JC staff while the anime setting is actually is same as the actual source material (manga) ? In fact manga executed this in even worse way

They messed the food cooking scene, they messed up the intensity when serving/cooking, they also ruined the animation, it is definitely not on par with the previous seasons. J.C staff didn't completely ruin Food Wars, but they partially did ruin it.

I said keep your hands on the table
Jul 24, 2020 9:32 PM

Apr 2018
It was ok that's all I got to say.
Jul 24, 2020 11:27 PM

Apr 2015
Those noir guys are a bunch of wackeys, what the actual...

Save to say, I don't like this at all. This episode felt really weird and the cooking subjects didn't help either. Atleast the scene between the old man and Souma was actually good.

Best thing this episode, is the castle they are at, it has a simular appearence as Himeji Castle!
Jul 25, 2020 1:25 AM

Jan 2020
EISHI CAMEBACK AAAAA
Jul 25, 2020 2:33 AM

May 2020
Excitedddd much for episode 5. Is this a rematch between Soma and Eishi hahahahhha Gudluckkkkk!
Jul 25, 2020 4:44 AM

Dec 2016
This grandpa is very dangerous! ^^; I couldn't believe he had a real gun hidden there, what a shock! I'm glad Yukihira made a reason for that old man to continue live :) Takumi and Todokoro's cooking challenge was weird, but I would have liked to see them in action, though. Great episode!

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Jul 25, 2020 6:42 AM

Nov 2018
ithyphallic60 said:
caliburn1337 said:

do u want spoiler with details or not on y almost everyone says it's terrible

I already know the spoilers, but nothing really "terrible" happened yet, I guess I just gotta wait to see what happens next.

SEIBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Jul 25, 2020 8:18 AM
Sep 2018
Arin-san said:
it is not the fault of Jc Staff. Blame the author of the manga.
Jul 25, 2020 10:27 AM

Dec 2015
An interesting episode. Though they seem to speed up the pacing. I guess that's okay since it is the last arc and we only get 13 episodes. And people previously already complained cause it was too slow/repetitive.

Personallyl t hough I would have liked to see the matches of Aldini and Megumi.
Soumas cooking - here it was nice to not show that much. Liked the story with the old guy and the focu son that. (I mean ... the cooking itself realyl gets repetitive and you cant always show something bigger/stronger when they alraedy reached the climax there in the arc against Erinas father.)

The clothing of the Noir guys is a bit over the top though. I guess theyl'll make for some good comedy, lol.

Great Eishi came back (Like his voice actor - also in other anime that VA is great.)
Jul 25, 2020 11:23 AM

Jun 2017
That old man Tokiyama Heigoro could've made a mistake and grabbed the real gun! That was too freaky. 😬

It's good to see Tsukasa again!🤩 Although, if Asahi managed to defeat Jouichirou, he might be able to beat Tsukasa too; and that would be very frustrating. Why does Asahi's character have to appear just to ruin Shokugeki no Soma!😣 I would've loved to see this anime end when Souma is competing against his father instead.

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Jul 25, 2020 11:28 AM

May 2015
Man, i wish the old man picked wrong gun and shot someone. :(
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jul 25, 2020 1:23 PM

Apr 2014
SnS never fails to make me want to try new foods. Monkfish liver eh?
Jul 25, 2020 4:48 PM
May 2015
Man, the manga readers weren't lying when they said that this arc's writing went downhill. Food Wars has always been ridiculous but at the same time, the cooking and the setting were grounded.

This arc, however, takes it on a whole another level of ridiculousness and I don't mean that in a good way. A bunch of KKK members? A clown? A girl with a chainsaw? Edgy-looking green-outfit dude? What the fuck? Isn't this supposed to be a cooking anime?

2/5 Yukirihira's part at the end was actually enjoyable

Current Rating for this show after this episode: 5.5/10
jc9622Jul 25, 2020 4:55 PM

Jul 25, 2020 6:58 PM

Jan 2011
honestly i'd be fine with this arc if all the characters were dunking on how stupid all of this and these lame as noir members were but their taking it dead seriously it's become a parody of it's self to all new levels ,i'm just here to see this that should not exist.

new WGO girl or whatever was cute hope she wasn't just here for gate one and i could not get over how much of a Kirika Akatsuki clone she was with the cross hairpins and short blond hair lol
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Gou no Sara Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2020

233 by penguin_sama »»
Jan 30, 6:00 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Gou no Sara Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2020

74 by phantom346 »»
Jan 10, 2:25 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Gou no Sara Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2020

168 by emptycamz »»
Nov 21, 2023 4:26 PM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Gou no Sara Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2020

82 by aod-kun »»
Nov 9, 2023 3:26 AM

Poll: » Shokugeki no Souma: Gou no Sara Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2020

72 by aod-kun »»
Nov 9, 2023 2:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.