Forum Settings
Forums

What's wrong with falling in love with a 12-year-old girl?

New
Jun 24, 2020 8:55 AM

Apr 2019
This is a quote from Hiyazo Miyazaki.

How would you answer?

Also acknowledge the distinction between falling in love with a child and dating them.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 24, 2020 9:20 AM
Jul 2018
lol I remember reading that just the other day in fact.

are you sure the language context means romantic love?
for example, fans of Ghibli movies fall 'in love' with the child protagonist in various films. in this context it means 'captured our hearts'. nothing wrong with that.
Jun 24, 2020 9:24 AM
Jul 2018
I honestly can't even imagine the levels of degeneracy of those adults who develop any romantic feelings towards children. So if anyone asked me that question - I'd straight punch them in the face and call the police.
I also heard that Miyazaki actually visited child prostitutes but I honestly don't know if that's true or not.
Jun 24, 2020 9:27 AM

Aug 2012
It's wrong for both males and females falling in love with minors.

But he was drunk tho...
Jun 24, 2020 9:30 AM

Apr 2019
Korishi said:

for example, fans of Ghibli movies fall 'in love' with the child protagonist in various films. in this context it means 'captured our hearts'. nothing wrong with that.

I don't know japanese so I cant speak for that quote in particular, but heres another quote from him that is romantic.

Jun 24, 2020 9:33 AM
Feb 2017
Well, the purpose of having an age of consent is because usually minors haven’t developed enough/had enough experience in the world yet to make wise decisions. The age of consent doesn’t account for the outliers that are super geniuses that can make wise decisions, it accounts for the general population, thus those that are not super geniuses. In short: it’s just a made up number used in general to keep those who aren’t good at making wise decisions from being abused by those who are older. That’s why it’s not 18+ in every single nation, as some nations think children that are let’s say 16+ are mature enough to make their own decisions.

Anyways, regarding the difference between love and dating: love is not equal to sexual desires. I can love my family, that doesn’t mean I want to have sexual acts with them. If I love my SO, it can be interpreted that I want to have sexual acts with them (I’m lonely so it’s obviously hypothetical). Love transcends sexual acts. I can love somebody without wanting to sex them.
MegaStrideJun 24, 2020 9:44 AM
Jun 24, 2020 9:38 AM

Jan 2009
if you are strictly differentiating love with dating then whats the problem then? dating has sexual tendencies and love do not mean sexual at times too

so i do not see any point of this thread lol
Jun 24, 2020 9:40 AM

Mar 2018
What's wrong with that you ask? Your own existence.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Jun 24, 2020 9:41 AM
Feb 2017
deg said:
if you are strictly differentiating love with dating then whats the problem then? dating has sexual tendencies and love do not mean sexual at times too

People automatically think love=sexual desires whenever you talk about someone who is below the age of consent. But you know, they think that loving their family is different than loving a SO. In short: small brain.
Jun 24, 2020 9:42 AM

Jan 2009
BlakexEkalb said:
deg said:

People automatically think love=sexual desires whenever you talk about someone who is below the age of consent. But you know, they think that loving their family is different than loving a SO. In short: small brain.

ye i was mainly talking to the OPs condition on discussing this thread he wants to clearly differentiate between love and dating so ye not much to discuss here at all
Jun 24, 2020 9:57 AM
Jul 2018
So Miyazaki was the OG 2D lolicon? No wonder he declared anime as trash. He was clearly being self-deprecating (this is a joke).

I would say that falling in love with someone who is still developing and does not have complete agency over their life (physically, mentally, emotionally) is extremely unhealthy for the child so I don't care what these grown-ups feel, they had better stay away from these children.
Jun 24, 2020 10:08 AM

Apr 2019
deg said:

Romantic love, which is likely what Miyazaki is referring to, has sexual tendencies (unless you're asexual, which is extremely unlikely.)

If your opinion is that having romantic, (and thus, sexual) thoughts about a child is okay as long as you don't act on them, thats fine. But thats just your opinion, and people ITT might not share that sentiment.

BlakexEkalb said:

Anyways, regarding the difference between love and dating: love is not equal to sexual desires. I can love my family, that doesn’t mean I want to have sexual acts with them. If I love my SO, it can be interpreted that I want to have sexual acts with them (I’m lonely so it’s obviously hypothetical). Love transcends sexual acts. I can love somebody without wanting to sex them.

True, platonic and romantic love are two different things. But Miyzaki is likely referring to romantic love as evident by:
Jun 24, 2020 10:10 AM

Jun 2019
Korishi said:

Unfortunately, it does. The drunk man says "恋愛をして" (ren"ai wo shite), and ren'ai means "romantic love". Guess that many Lewd's Carols remain to be found. Proof:

MeusnierJun 24, 2020 10:16 AM
Jun 24, 2020 10:12 AM

Jan 2009
feelingofgaze said:
deg said:

Romantic love, which is likely what Miyazaki is referring to, has sexual tendencies (unless you're asexual, which is extremely unlikely.)

If your opinion is that having romantic, (and thus, sexual) thoughts about a child is okay as long as you don't act on them, thats fine. But thats just your opinion, and people ITT might not share that sentiment.

lol no i do not find females that do not have a mature body sexually attractive even

but the age of consent here in the philippines is 12 years old anyway although majority of people here im sure do not know that and they think its 18 years old too being a conservative country and all also i agree with them since 12 years old are not mentally mature too anyway

you just made the distinction between romantic and dating on your first post hence my reply is like that
Jun 24, 2020 10:28 AM

Jun 2008
feelingofgaze said:
Korishi said:

I don't know japanese so I cant speak for that quote in particular, but heres another quote from him that is romantic.

idk if miyazaki in high school who happens to be around 15-17yo is interested in a 12 yo - it doesn't sound like that big of a problem compared to a guy in his 60s saying the same.

the former quote on not knowing the context whether he's joking when he's drunk, and/or the fact that he's drunk, doesn't seem a whole lot to base on either
Jun 24, 2020 10:37 AM
Jul 2018
feelingofgaze said:
Korishi said:

my interpretation is the love of the innocence of these characters. that's why you'll see a pattern in my favourites.
Jun 24, 2020 10:38 AM

Aug 2018
Well 12 is a bit young and is definitely considered a child. I can definitely understand falling in love with maybe a 14 or 15 year old (lol I'm not a pedo) Any adult who can sexualize or develop romantic feelings for a child is a disgusting pedophile and should be locked in jail for life. Most girls hit puberty around 12 years old and aren't completely developed by then so it is just wrong.

Jun 24, 2020 10:43 AM

Apr 2019
i feel like it's alright for someone to fall in love with a 12 year old girl if he/she is also around the same age group,
but if this is about a 20 years old or above situation, well.. there is this kind of thing called...

i'm not that open minded to see liking a minor to be a good thing... but this is just my opinion. unless he/she like the minor from a distance and don't approach the kid to ask them to reciprocate their feelings, then i guess it's alright... i think? >>
Jun 24, 2020 10:49 AM

Jun 2008
If he had said 14-15 i would have said "nothing really" it may be illegal but biologically is perfectly normal to be attracted to a young girl that had her body changed from puberty.
Is not pedophilia if we go by nature and biology instead of legal descriptions.
But 12? Is just a little too much on the child side. Is kind of borderline pedophilia depending if the 12 year old looks younger or older than her age.
Jun 24, 2020 11:09 AM

Jun 2012
Jokes made while drunk and in the company of friends are hardly matters for public gossip.
Jun 24, 2020 11:32 AM

Apr 2014
AtmosphericEntry said:
Jokes made while drunk and in the company of friends are hardly matters for public gossip.

Friend my ass, that dude spilled the beans >:[
oh snap
Jun 24, 2020 11:41 AM

Feb 2019
Miyazaki is a artistic guy and he draws a lot of inspiration from real life so it isn't surprising if he loves kids although stuff said when drunk can be problematic if taken out of context.
Jun 24, 2020 11:49 AM

Feb 2019
I thought someone had already made a Master Class on the potential of the 'context matters' trump card? Just link him that and it's fine.
Jun 24, 2020 12:07 PM

Apr 2013
If you're also around 12, then nothing wrong.
Jun 24, 2020 12:16 PM

Aug 2009
The only 12-year-old girl I would love is my hypothetical daughter.

Jun 24, 2020 12:29 PM
Jul 2018
ysphyr said:
I honestly can't even imagine the levels of degeneracy of those adults who develop any romantic feelings towards children. So if anyone asked me that question - I'd straight punch them in the face and call the police.
I also heard that Miyazaki actually visited child prostitutes but I honestly don't know if that's true or not.

That sounds more like something someone made up after that quote.

But for your first statement... well I could hold myself back and I know it's not their fault for being ill, but being so ignorant about it is.

Korishi said:
feelingofgaze said:

my interpretation is the love of the innocence of these characters. that's why you'll see a pattern in my favourites.

That's what I also thought, it's something like "falling in love with her as a character and for some virtous."
Tho it's one thing why I loved Princess Mononoke much more than the others. I really, really liked the others too, but one part of why I love Princess Mononoke more is because she's almost an adult, who behaves like an adult and not an innocent, cute girl.
Jun 24, 2020 1:18 PM
May 2016
Nothing

problem is if you pursue her
Jun 24, 2020 1:32 PM

Nov 2016
I know this might be a hot take here in the anime community but loving a fictional character doesn't automatically means wanting to bang them. Also I fail to see the full context of this quote outside of the fact that he was drunk.
Jun 24, 2020 1:35 PM

Aug 2018
JoyBoy_316 said:
I know this might be a hot take here in the anime community but loving a fictional character doesn't automatically means wanting to bang them. Also I fail to see the full context of this quote outside of the fact that he was drunk.

sorry bro but adding characters to your favorite list is a tacit admission that you want to do them in the butt
Jun 24, 2020 1:38 PM

Nov 2016
epidemia78 said:
JoyBoy_316 said:

sorry bro but adding characters to your favorite list is a tacit admission that you want to do them in the butt

I don't know mate I also got 20 dudes in my list but I believe myself to be straight as an arrow.
Jun 24, 2020 2:24 PM
Jul 2018
_Maneki-Neko_ said:
Korishi said:

That's what I also thought, it's something like "falling in love with her as a character and for some virtous."
Tho it's one thing why I loved Princess Mononoke much more than the others. I really, really liked the others too, but one part of why I love Princess Mononoke more is because she's almost an adult, who behaves like an adult and not an innocent, cute girl.

nice. that's why I also love Kiki for gaining her independence.
when I love an innocent young character, I don't necessarily want to protect them like a knight, but rather preserve their pure qualities.

JoyBoy_316 said:

you're most honest when you're drunk, just not rational.
but yeah, doubt he wants to bang kids
Jun 24, 2020 2:53 PM

Nov 2016
Korishi said:

Yeah we pretty much have no way to know what he actually meant since the word love can have so many meanings to it so the entire debate kinda feel pointless. As for alcohol I've no real experience with it so I'll take you up on your word.

Oh and your words on kiki also capture why she is one of my favourites among his protagonist.
Jun 24, 2020 3:06 PM
Jul 2018
Gross. This shit is always a power play, it never has anything to do with attraction.
Jun 24, 2020 3:07 PM
Jul 2018
JoyBoy_316 said:
Korishi said:

Yeah we pretty much have no way to know what he actually meant since the word love can have so many meanings to it so the entire debate kinda feel pointless. As for alcohol I've no real experience with it so I'll take you up on your word.

actually this alleged quote of him talking about a "surrogate girlfriend" serves as evidence toward that claim.
https://i.imgur.com/mREimqG.jpg

as well as this confirmation:
Meusnier said:
Korishi said:

Unfortunately, it does. The drunk man says "恋愛をして" (ren"ai wo shite), and ren'ai means "romantic love".

but honestly I still don't think there's much to it other than what I already mentioned.
as for alcohol, it affects this front part of the brain that deals with inhibition. basically makes you impulsive (not able to hold back),
even from saying truths that you would otherwise keep to yourself or among closer friends. in this particular case I think it's taken out of context as we don't know the whole conversation.

this is actually pretty cringe trying to defend Miyazaki, of all people, for liking anime characters.
Jun 24, 2020 3:30 PM

Jun 2019
Korishi said:
JoyBoy_316 said:

actually this alleged quote of him talking about a "surrogate girlfriend" serves as evidence toward that claim.

Meusnier said:

Unfortunately, it does. The drunk man says "恋愛をして" (ren"ai wo shite), and ren'ai means "romantic love".

but honestly I still don't think there's much to it other than what I already mentioned.
as for alcohol, it affects this front part of the brain that deals with inhibition. basically makes you impulsive (not able to hold back),
even from saying truths that you would otherwise keep to yourself or among closer friends. in this particular case I think it's taken out of context as we don't know the whole conversation.

this is actually pretty cringe trying to defend Miyazaki, of all people, for liking anime characters.

Who said that he was speaking about anime characters? This 2D thing only exists for weebs, and he said a girl (onna no ko), not an anime character. Honestly, I do not care about Miyazaki, or if he said it or not. But this story is pretty self-explanatory. Maybe he was joking too, but for some reason, most people would not joke about this subject...

By the way, the translation is indeed very rough. The most important phrase was: "One day, when he was drunk or serious, he shouted [...]". The Japanese construction is: "Itsuka yopparatteta no ka, shirari datta no ka" and the "no ka, [...] no ka" is the equivalent of the "either,... or" in Japanese. So he may have said it seriously, but since he shouted, I guess that he was still a little drunk. And by the way, "yopparai" means "drunk", not "terribly drunk".

The real story below:

After having a beer in the private room of an izakaya, Miyazaki shouted: "Is it wrong to fall in love with a 12-year-old girl?"

Jun 24, 2020 3:38 PM

Dec 2016
If you do, you are a pedophile that's it
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Jun 24, 2020 3:58 PM

Mar 2008
I can't read Japanese but probably he means love in a more broad meaning and sounds more like he's talking about a character. Also to ad to that one can't help how they feel anyway. It would take a special kind of authoritarian to try to suppress people's thoughts and feelings.
Jun 24, 2020 4:11 PM
Jul 2018
Meusnier said:
Korishi said:

Who said that he was speaking about anime characters? This 2D thing only exists for weebs, and he said a girl (onna no ko), not an anime character. Honestly, I do not care about Miyazaki, or if he said it or not. But this story is pretty self-explanatory. Maybe he was joking too, but for some reason, most people would not joke about this subject...

By the way, the translation is indeed very rough. The most important phrase was: "One day, when he was drunk or serious, he shouted [...]". The Japanese construction is: "Itsuka yopparatteta no ka, shirari datta no ka" and the "no ka, [...] no ka" is the equivalent of the "either,... or" in Japanese. So he may have said it seriously, but since he shouted, I guess that he was still a little drunk. And by the way, "yopparai" means "drunk", not "terribly drunk".

The real story below:

After having a beer in the private room of an izakaya, Miyazaki shouted: "Is it wrong to fall in love with a 12-year-old girl?"

I will presume that he was simply burlesquing then and maybe his mates were joking about his feelings towards young, female characters in fairytales.

I infer this from the screenshot that was shared earlier https://i.imgur.com/mREimqG.jpg
Jun 24, 2020 4:22 PM

Sep 2018
lol he "reportedly" said it and "reportedly" meant it too huh
good investigative work here
Jun 24, 2020 6:37 PM

Dec 2018
Well obviously that's a problem, though, like others in the thread, I'm willing to believe Miyazaki wasn't strictly speaking in a sexual way.

That said, too many people have violent knee jerk reactions to this kind of thing as its probably the one universally socially acceptable form of witch hunt. reality, however, can be much more nuanced than what they want to believe. 18 is an arbitrarily chosen number after all.

this is not say we should change age of consent laws, but the stigma is harsher than it should be. TLDR ; its not always wrong in theory but don't risk it in practice
Jun 24, 2020 8:02 PM

Oct 2010
I was expecting more hate towards the old man, if some random director said that he would have been burned at the MAL stake. I don't know if it's good or wrong, never happened to me to think romantically for a 12 year old. Prob miyazaki was talking theories and he was drunk
Jun 24, 2020 11:01 PM

Sep 2009
Guess he means like/love a young girl but not loli-style...

Jun 24, 2020 11:49 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
I don't see anything wrong with that to be honest. Maybe MAL moralists can give us some more insight though. I always enjoy reading those comments.
Jun 25, 2020 1:23 AM
Jul 2018
*Falling in love* he says? That's entirely strange, no questions asked.
Jun 25, 2020 1:48 AM

Jun 2019
Korishi said:
Meusnier said:

The real story below:

I will presume that he was simply burlesquing then and maybe his mates were joking about his feelings towards young, female characters in fairytales.

I infer this from the screenshot that was shared earlier https://i.imgur.com/mREimqG.jpg

The only thing that we can infer in my opinion about this other story is that when he was in high school, he fell in love with a 2D character. Here, we are speaking about a whole different story since after all, people do not get drunk in Japan when they are in high school. That does not mean that I give any credit to the above story, but nothing permits us to assume that he was speaking about anime characters. Things would be different if we had the full article... They say maybe earlier that the discussion was about 2D characters, I might try to look up the original reference later.

Edit: bad wording and incivility.
MeusnierJun 25, 2020 10:28 AM
Jun 25, 2020 1:58 AM

Aug 2018
Alcohol does crazy things. You can love a dog without wanting to have sex with it love ≠ sexual desires.
_______I like rocks__
Jun 25, 2020 3:58 AM

Oct 2012
I don't think it's possible to fall in love with children.
They lack intellectual depth and if you think you love a child, then it's highly possible that it's just the result of the two feelings fascination and sexual desire mixed together.
If life ain't just a joke
Then why are we laughing?

If life ain't just a joke
Then why am I dead?
Jun 25, 2020 4:13 AM

Apr 2020
Nothing, SJWs are just jealous of people who're capable of loving cute girls.
Jun 25, 2020 4:19 AM

Nov 2016
Meusnier said:
Korishi said:

Denial, denial? When he was in high school, he felt in love with a 2D character. Here, we are speaking about a whole different story since after all, people do not get drunk in Japan when they are in high school. That does not mean that I give any credit to the above story, but nothing permits us to assume that he was speaking about anime characters. Things would be different if we had the full article...

How is he in denial? He only attested his own interpretation of the quote and the only rebuttal you've got is your own interpretations and speculations that stand on no firmer ground than his. There is zero clear proof of anything and the entire point of this thread was just to inquire people's opinion on said quotes not to actually pass a concrete judgement of the man or to refute each others opinions by throwing more baseless speculations at the wall.

And also can we actually take a moment to admit that this is just one man saying years later that one day another guy said that when they all were presumably drunk. Are we just gonna take his words at face value? Where is an actual proof or recording that he actually said these words and meant them the way you are implying he did?
Jun 25, 2020 6:32 AM
Jul 2018
Korishi said:
_Maneki-Neko_ said:

nice. that's why I also love Kiki for gaining her independence.
when I love an innocent young character, I don't necessarily want to protect them like a knight, but rather preserve their pure qualities.

Yeah I really liked that about Kiki's Delivery Service as well, that she is gaining more independence.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» what are your top 3 media and does it have any anime in it ?

ame - 3 hours ago

9 by Zarutaku »»
4 minutes ago

» what makes a forum signature catch your eyes?

707supremacist - Yesterday

15 by tsukareru »»
16 minutes ago

» Does knowing how MAL user looks like change how you see/treat them?

barababas - Apr 28

49 by Swiggy »»
1 hour ago

» Do you collect trading cards?

Malkshake - 10 hours ago

15 by Serafos »»
2 hours ago

» Do you ever miss old/former online friends?

pludel2 - Apr 10

44 by Swiggy »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.