Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 1, 2020 10:50 AM

Apr 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Didnt expect just a grave backstory this early on but I am digging it. Everyone in the cast is getting more dynamic with each other.
Jun 5, 2020 3:54 AM

Jul 2017
I'm gonna be honest, I wasn't feeling this episode. Weaker impression than the first episode for me although it was nice getting to know the cast more. Still not really enjoying the cast right from the getgo and the overall case 2 episodes in hasn't been interesting whatsoever but what does keep me in somewhat is the visual directing. It still looks great and very colorful and bright. Love the visuals from WIT still.

It seems like that OP is something I won't be getting used to anytime soon. I love jazz, but man that shit is too chaotic for my ears that it's so painful to listen to. And same can go for some of the OSTs (some, not all of course) when they're trying to go hype with the big moments, it's too chaotic for my ears to take in as it feels more jarring than exciting. It does fit the show but its overkill.
Jun 5, 2020 4:38 AM

Feb 2017
Edamura had it rough in the past it seems. Cool to have a backstory this early. Wonder if Edamura's ploy is going to succeed, he seems like a type that always fucks up in the end.
Jun 5, 2020 5:22 AM

Sep 2017
A bit slower episode mainly focused on setting the relationships between the characters and Edamura's backstory, but it still was good tho

Loved the background art during some scenes, especially at the restaurant

Still got strong Lupin III x Banana Fish vibes from this anime
Jun 5, 2020 5:32 AM

Sep 2017
Pretty solid episode , fleshing out the characters.
yikes
Jun 5, 2020 6:53 AM

Mar 2016
animejas said:
I'm gonna be honest, I wasn't feeling this episode. Weaker impression than the first episode for me although it was nice getting to know the cast more. Still not really enjoying the cast right from the getgo and the overall case 2 episodes in hasn't been interesting whatsoever but what does keep me in somewhat is the visual directing. It still looks great and very colorful and bright. Love the visuals from WIT still.

It seems like that OP is something I won't be getting used to anytime soon. I love jazz, but man that shit is too chaotic for my ears that it's so painful to listen to. And same can go for some of the OSTs (some, not all of course) when they're trying to go hype with the big moments, it's too chaotic for my ears to take in as it feels more jarring than exciting. It does fit the show but its overkill.

You’ve......pretty much summed up my thoughts with these first two episodes as a whole. Though I did personally think the visual directing is just decent, not amazing. There really isn’t anything in particular that I can praise, tbh, other than the colors. Most of the cast already kinda get on my nerves. Btw, nice to see that someone loves jazz as well.
Jun 5, 2020 7:01 AM

Nov 2016
Damn, talk about a shitty past.

Another nice episode, definitely enjoyed the vibes more and Abby is still hella amusing.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 5, 2020 8:45 AM

Feb 2018
Well-done ep, character development and explanations.

I'm pretty hyped for this show at now. It's stylish, funny, quirky and feels like a breath of fresh air in seasonal boredom (i'm about you tog).
Jun 5, 2020 11:16 AM

May 2018
So, the guy has a rotten father a rotten life and a rotten future so he decide to go in the business of being rotten himself.
Jun 5, 2020 11:46 AM

Jan 2009
nice episode that Edamame backstory was great and damn his mom died

lol so they are Robin Hoods then scamming the scammers or criminals i like that

Abbey is sexy hot again too
Jun 5, 2020 1:23 PM

Mar 2016
This got interesting. lol. Hope it gets even better, otherwise the amazing art and the part where they gave up SnK will go to waste.

I'm not liking Laurent so far, but Edamura and Abigail were fun this episode.
Jun 5, 2020 6:20 PM
Mar 2016
i'm sorry but could someone explain to me about the restaurant part where the stranger who Makoto bumped into paid for their lobster meal? Was he a part of Laurent's crew? A stranger would normally not have paid for your meal bc you bumped into him earlier.
Jun 5, 2020 9:09 PM
Jan 2017
ivordesgreenleaf said:
i'm sorry but could someone explain to me about the restaurant part where the stranger who Makoto bumped into paid for their lobster meal? Was he a part of Laurent's crew? A stranger would normally not have paid for your meal bc you bumped into him earlier.

Edamura told that he'd pay for his dry cleaning because of that, and I think hanging out with Laurent who's dressed as a classy gentleman gave an impression that he's the manager of the restaurant. And when he took the bill, he said, "Tell us if it's too expensive!" with a waitress standing besides her just proves my point since it's something a manager who'd say that. Forming a good bond with that impression helped his plan. So, in that way he fooled both the guest and the waitress. This is how I interpreted it.
Jun 6, 2020 3:24 AM

Jul 2017
Edamame a.k.a Edamura has been played into Laurent's trickster conman game, and this game takes a backseat to teach the exposition of trickery.

Having a backstory for Edamura though, it's too early and soon to have one, but starting here was something unexpected, and I really feel it's a good touch.

And right from the get-go, Kudou supporting him as both a conman and "the son of a criminal father", and to add insult to injury, an ailing mother and a crime-agressive father, job hunting for a post-criminal was hard. No wonder he's an established conman, the only jobline that works for him.

For Laurent and Abby though, their conman experience really shows though, from plan to fruition. And hiring Edamura is a one-way ticket to hell, but it serves him well in terms of skills...but the thing that he hasn't master: all con men are lone wolves (from Abby's POV).

With the inspiration from the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Edamura "resurrected" as Hideyoshi, and regained his composure.

A better episode than the premiere, but still figuring out the inners and outs of this show.
Jun 6, 2020 4:02 AM

Apr 2009
Nice art but the romanticizing of conmanship is bad. No matter what life throws at you, scamming other's is still a choice, not an excuse.
Jun 6, 2020 8:55 AM

Oct 2017
Damn that backstory was horrible, really felt bad for him. This was yet another great episode and I'm totally lovin this show. Also Abby's a wonderful girl.
Jun 6, 2020 9:46 AM
Jun 2020
animejas said:

The episodes can go either way for me. I have been liking it though. But I will say this. The OST is great. Coming from a musical background, I love the OST. It fits very well. To me this OST is Jazz Violet Evergarden with all the chromatics and scales. It's better than the incredibles theme just by sheer playing level.
Jun 6, 2020 1:32 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
So this was a backstory/motivations episode. Stories about parents/family members getting sick always get me. His mom looked like a real sweetheart. But his dad on the other hand was a criminal, guess we know where he gets his natural talent from. His backstory was effective though; being arrested, which in turn ruined his life, and then his mother passing away which left him alone. Now he fully accepts his con man life.

Laurent on the other hand reveals he's a Robin Hood type character, stealing from those who are truly evil. I was originally thinking he would be the final antagonist, but perhaps not?

Abby is still as perfect as ever. I'm interested to see what her motivation and backstory is.

Edamura came up clutch at the end there, and he's proving that he's no quitter or push over. These three are going to have a really fun dynamic.

While light on action, I still enjoyed this one. Learning about motivations and backstories help ground characters and make them more believable.
Jun 10, 2020 5:54 AM

Jun 2019
A backstory to start with. A sad one too. But as the episode moves on, many things happened like my boy makes the price money double for some candies. LOL. Also I still can't believe the ED is 'The Great Pretender' from Freddy Mercury.
Also I noticed, Was It really Pusha T in the OST?
Jun 14, 2020 2:43 PM

Aug 2015
I love the ending combination of cats, that pastel-style animation, and Freddie Mercury so much holy shit
Jun 26, 2020 9:36 AM

Dec 2015
First part was a bit boring. I already wanted to drop because of bad writing/directing. Suddenly that flashbacks ... that would have fit at the beginning of episode 1.

I wanted to know what was going to happen in the present. But then they went back there and Laurent told how he recruited the other guys as helpers to look for some con artist. (Felt a bit forced/constructed on how he suddenly knew how to hire exactly them but well the old lady supposedly was con artist in her past as well so it makes sense he knew her.)

Made sense to explain the background on how te main came to know the small old company guy that got him into the business.

Later it started to get good. When they finished dining and the main left I knew he wasn't just running away. When he doubled the price ... I started to like it. Looking forward to more. The team is nice. And it would have been boring if the main was some whiny guy that needed to get educated by pros.
Jun 27, 2020 9:06 AM

Jun 2013
Why do people keep bringing up SnK? Is it because Wit dropped it and focused on other projects? I guess money talks. Perhaps they were being overworked and underpaid with SnK despite it being a popular series. Wouldn't be the first time.

Anyway, loved this episode and how Edamame's backstory was introduced. I guess his father was a conman that got caught. He probably got his ability to deceive people from his dad. His mom's dead but I think his dad is still around. Like to see a reunion. Also, it's awesome how he turned the tables.

The characters aren't meant to be likable since they're criminals but it's fun to see what will happen to them.
臭い-
Jul 12, 2020 9:09 PM
Nov 2018
man all these big brain plays so far are so fun to watch. makoto got me with one upping laurent.
Sep 6, 2020 12:35 PM

Mar 2010
They are gonna get shot up I can feel it.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Oct 2, 2020 4:45 AM

May 2013
This still seems like a inferior version of Lupin III for me.
It's more action than comedy and I prefer comedy. Still a good show
but I consider Lupin III a 10. To me it's one of the best anime of all time.

This show to me at most is an 8. Main guy has a sad backstory. Liked the twist at
the end of the episode.
Oct 4, 2020 11:41 PM

Feb 2011
Congratz to Great Pretender for bringing me back to anime, i hardly even watch anything now. I decided to take a look at it without knowing anything about it after the small clip i watched on netflix and man. On the second episode i was just screaming "BACCANO !!!!BACCANO!!!!" there was just this similar vibe around it. It's also very neat/clean and beautiful.. It's too early for me to judge this anime so let's see if i will like what the series has to offer on the next episodes.<3
Nov 12, 2020 6:24 PM
Jul 2018

THIS is why tf I wanna visit LA, California.
Nov 26, 2020 8:52 PM

Sep 2018
Ohhh, the flashback is so sad :( poor him. He can do business though, why applying for work when he's good as is! He waste his potential.

How Laurent can get away with it after they get the money? They didn't change their appearance or what, they will scam the richest mafia!
Dec 5, 2020 4:54 AM

Jul 2017
Disliked it originally, but liked this now. I'm a lot more invested in the cast and story now compared to when I first saw it, even if I prefer franchises like Lupin III or Jormungand or Black Lagoon.

Nice to know more of Makoto's backstory and how he turned out to become a con artist, shame that he got screwed by that company and got arrested for it, and failed to get jobs afterwards. Tried to help his mother out by supporting her financially but she passed away.

He's come a long way though in this crazy journey. He originally wanted to leave Abigal and Laurent due to how he was used in the whole case with scamming Cassano with 'Sakura Magic', but remained confident and even made the guy pay double the amount + got to play in the pool with some hot babes to celebrate it behind Laurent and Abigail's back afterwards. Really nice twist there at the end. The writing's not perfect and I still have minor issues and inconsistencies with it, but I liked the episode overall.

The characters in comparison to other similar anime I've seen so far haven't come close in terms of quality, but I do find them a lot more likable now compared to when I originally saw it and that really helped me enjoy this episode and show so far. The writing still feels a tad empty and needs more of an actual plot to each case, but there's still a few more episodes for the Los Angeles Connection, so hopefully it kicks more into gear for me.

Great music and production as a whole like the previous episode.
animejasDec 5, 2020 5:50 AM
Dec 10, 2020 5:24 AM

Apr 2020
Laurent is so smart, he scammed millions of dollars
Dec 29, 2020 9:58 AM

Sep 2017
Laurent has to grab Makoto's feet right now.

That's some great confidence right there.

Poor Makoto's back story anyways.

I like Laurent paying for the dinner date. Good man in his heart definitely.

Waiting for explanation on all the con.

Also, I have a feeling that the mob producer is also aware this is a scam but is going through with it.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Dec 30, 2020 9:24 PM

Jul 2016
It seems Makoto's character won't be reduced to the mere role of being Laurent and Abby's bitch. Good to know.

Abby's "lone wolf" mindset is rather cliche so I look forward to knowing how fucked up her past was to justify it.
Jan 12, 2021 8:40 PM

Mar 2015
We get a brief look into Edamame's history, and start to see some of the dynamic between them forming. Looking good!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 31, 2021 11:02 AM

Feb 2019
These scams are awesome to watch.

But jail time? Already? How old is this guy?
I am not a weeb, I simply enjoy 2D girls
Mar 11, 2021 11:48 AM

Aug 2013
Why boring pretentious anime always has a long season? Anime didn't even started properly but already feels like a filler.
Mar 26, 2021 5:41 PM

Jan 2017
I already hate abby. I'm so tired of hearing/seeing how "virgin" is being used as an insult. This is already a problem in society. We don't need that in anime too!
Apr 13, 2021 6:42 AM
Jul 2018
So that's how Edamura became a scammo, huh. What a life he had. He never knew the company he worked for was scammos, and he went in prison for 18 months. He tried applying for jobs and not a single one accepted him because of his criminal records, his mom also died. Damn... that's sad. Everyone kept on calling him a swindler, so he became one. Society wanted him to be.

Also, Edamura won the bet. Laurent has now become Edamura's hunchmen! XD
Jul 6, 2021 7:15 AM

Apr 2018
That was quite a harsh backstory, poor Edumama getting scammed and becoming a scammer after that.
Lol the candy drug was just fake, everything was acted xD I also thought that but I was like nah this had to be real xD

Edumama is a big shot now after conning the fake movie director.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Jul 6, 2021 9:43 AM

Jul 2015
Bit confused last episode but I'm glad they explained why Edamame went nuts when the scene briefly focused on the watches, the detectives and Kudou celebrating and the old lady turning out to not live in that house. Feared Edamame might actually run away but I'm glad he got the balls to go through with the dangerous scam, looking forward to how this is going to unfold.

Jun 15, 2023 5:00 AM
Jun 2022
Really cool man :)
Jun 24, 2023 6:08 PM

Jul 2016
Our dude got himself a W. It's also cool whenever a master swindler makes it a point to have some sense of morality when it comes to who they target.
Oct 5, 2023 7:21 AM

Sep 2020
Once again a banger episode 5/5
Dec 4, 2023 7:28 AM

Nov 2023
Damn, I feel bad for Edamura regarding his past.
Jan 18, 6:46 AM

Nov 2022
Lol I didn't actually thought he would won the bet, this anime is pretty good ngl.
Jan 30, 3:06 PM

Jul 2013
Didn't expect it to get sad this early on tbh

More topics from this board

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

SingleH - Sep 20, 2020

242 by Dark_zarich »»
Apr 17, 1:29 AM

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 15 Discussion

uninstallthegame - Sep 20, 2020

47 by Dark_zarich »»
Mar 17, 4:32 PM

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Tsarko - Jun 19, 2020

52 by Dark_zarich »»
Mar 11, 4:47 PM

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 12 Discussion

Tsarko - Jun 18, 2020

42 by Dark_zarich »»
Mar 11, 4:21 PM

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

uninstallthegame - Jun 8, 2020

62 by RawrOMG »»
Feb 17, 7:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.