Forum Settings
Forums

Anime with 'bad' animation but really interesting/good plot

New
May 17, 2020 7:41 AM

May 2019
By bad I no way mean weird or different animation.Like the animators were lazy,frames were bad overall the show's animation felt without substance.

So there are many shows that have mediocre animation but really good plot that keeps us attached to a show.But sometimes we come across shows with bad animation but the plot was good enough to keep us invested in the show.And after watching you in no way felt that the animation hindered the experience of the show.

For me it was NHK.The show had a really good and real plot relating with the lives of who you call NEET but at the midpoint of show animation was really off and sloppy as if animators were in no mood to animate the show.But it barely hindered my enjoyment and overall the show was good watch.

So what are some of your badly animated good shows?
May 17, 2020 7:43 AM

Jun 2016
lotgh looked very cheap, especially for OVA standards but the politics and conspiracy stuff were very interesting so I just ignored the look
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 17, 2020 7:46 AM

Jan 2020
Theo1899 said:
lotgh looked very cheap, especially for OVA standards but the politics and conspiracy stuff were very interesting so I just ignored the look
It's not cheap in any sense. It's just really old, late 80s if I'm not wrong.
May 17, 2020 7:48 AM
Jul 2018
Nodame Cantabile season 1. So many still frames in scenes where instruments were being played! It got distracting quite often. The show is excellent otherwise.
May 17, 2020 7:49 AM

Jul 2019
I strongly disliked xxxHolic animation (with that abnormaly long legs) but that didn't changed the fact that the anime itself is great.

It wouldn't be really fair to mention any older anime.
NikiforovaMay 17, 2020 7:54 AM
May 17, 2020 7:51 AM

Jun 2016
MistaAsh said:
Theo1899 said:

It probably had a lower per episode budget than other OVAs of the time which can look really good sometimes. They also kept that look up until 2001 believe it or not.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 17, 2020 8:32 AM
Jun 2017
look at every popular anime before about 2005 x.O;
May 17, 2020 8:39 AM
Aug 2015
Nabari no ou, it looks bad but I loved it
May 17, 2020 9:06 AM

Jun 2014
Trigun. I wouldn't call the animation lazy; but they might have lacked the budget for some scenes.
May 17, 2020 9:11 AM

Jul 2013
Ultraman: Maybe this is my toku bias speaking despite the garbage CGI and choppy choreography, the story was quite engaging and the characters were interesting.

May 17, 2020 9:13 AM

Aug 2018
NamikazeHime said:
I strongly disliked xxxHolic animation (with that abnormaly long legs) but that didn't changed the fact that the anime itself is great.

I dunno if the animation quality for that show is poor but it sounds like you're criticizing the Clamp "noodle people" character design which is found in many shows including Code Geass

OT: Tetsuwan Birdy Decode: The Cipher has some serious downgrades in animation quality at various intervals similar to what happens in Welcome to the NHK. Birdy is a pretty good show though and a good-looking, cool character.
epidemia78May 17, 2020 9:17 AM
May 17, 2020 9:16 AM

Jul 2017
actually Ahiru no Sora has a pretty interesting plot for a sports anime at least (barring that the plot progress' at a ridiculously slow pace) which I feel like would've been better if it had some good animation

May 17, 2020 9:20 AM

Jul 2019
epidemia78 said:
NamikazeHime said:

I dunno if the animation quality for that show is poor but it sounds like you're criticizing the Clamp "noodle people" character design which is found in many shows including Code Geass

Nope, I'm talking specifically about xxxHolic. Code Geass at least has some decent animation. I've mentioned long legs because that thing bothered me the most. Here's a couple of pictures for a reference, since you aren't familiar with the series:

May 17, 2020 9:24 AM

Aug 2018
NamikazeHime said:
epidemia78 said:

Nope, I'm talking specifically about xxxHolic. Code Geass at least has some decent animation. I've mentioned long legs because that thing bothered me the most. Here's a couple of pictures for a reference, since you aren't familiar with the series:

Haha geeze those really are some extra-long legs...and here I thought the body proportions in code geass were annoying.
May 17, 2020 9:36 AM

Oct 2015
MistaAsh said:
Theo1899 said:

The laser disc version--which is the one that existed in the time you mentioned--was in fact very static, blu ray is a lot better but has the added issue of having a very inconsistent artstyle throughout its run.
May 17, 2020 10:19 AM

Apr 2020
I wont say Obvious popular ones

Detroit metal city
Battle Programmer Shirase
Sidonia no Kishi
Yakitate Japan
May 17, 2020 10:25 AM
Apr 2016
Ninja Slayer, but I wonder if it counts since it was always planned to be an art-house.
Alienwatchanime said:
Sidonia no Kishi

Sidonia no Kishi animation is not bad, it is Computer Generated Imagery. Just because it is a hard-drawn as per personal preferences does not mean you should denigrate and disrespect the work or animation by calling it "bad'.
epidemia78 said:
NamikazeHime said:

Haha geeze those really are some extra-long legs...and here I thought the body proportions in code geass were annoying.

I felt blinded for the fraction of existence after I opened that spoiler.
Re:formed
May 17, 2020 12:17 PM

Jun 2012
One piece' animations were awful for the lastlast 4 or 5 years, Ooops, I dropped that anime already so that's probably not the answer you're looking for.

Then I guess I'll go with Sousei no Onmyouji, it's my guilty pleasure despite it's bad animations and terrible adaptation.
May 17, 2020 12:30 PM

Jun 2016
Daniel_Naumov said:
Alienwatchanime said:
Sidonia no Kishi

Sidonia no Kishi animation is not bad, it is Computer Generated Imagery. Just because it is a hard-drawn as per personal preferences does not mean you should denigrate and disrespect the work or animation by calling it "bad'.

It had great looking shots, background work and character designs but the animation was bad. They all moved like robots and it was distracting.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 17, 2020 12:41 PM
Apr 2016
Theo1899 said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

It had great looking shots, background work and character designs but the animation was bad. They all moved like robots and it was distracting.

Isn't that a "normal" Gundam animation? I did not find anything repugnant in it. The same thing that was in the Thunderbolt, Unicorn or the Narrative. Moreover, the way they moved seemed theatrical rather than the usual "organic" fluid movement. Either way, the animation is not the reason why I am enamoured with Gundam.
Re:formed
May 17, 2020 12:45 PM

Jan 2009
Planet With definitely its one of JC Staff awesome original anime this past few years
May 17, 2020 12:58 PM

Jun 2016
Daniel_Naumov said:
Theo1899 said:

Isn't that a "normal" Gundam animation? I did not find anything repugnant in it. The same thing that was in the Thunderbolt, Unicorn or the Narrative. Moreover, the way they moved seemed theatrical rather than the usual "organic" fluid movement. Either way, the animation is not the reason why I am enamoured with Gundam.

I kinda lost you there. The only 3D gundam series I'm aware of are MS igloo and evolve. Also weren't we talking about knights of sidonia?
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 17, 2020 1:00 PM

Nov 2016
Golden Kamuy has pretty mediocre production and is still a great anime.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 17, 2020 1:04 PM

Oct 2012
To me, this is Berserk, the old one, and arguably (since I disagree with just about everyone) the new ones. I fell asleep a few times from the low frame count, but the story was pretty good once it got rolling, except for the either rushed or just bad ending. I'm going to push my money on rushed, since the story from the new ones, which filled in the gap, are pretty good.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
May 17, 2020 1:06 PM

Apr 2018
Bokurano has low production values in general (mediocre art, bad 2000's mecha CGI), but the plot and characters are really compelling; that's what carries the show throughout. Though it's a shame it went for an anime-original ending because the director apparently disliked the manga's ending.
May 17, 2020 1:18 PM
May 2019
Ashita no Joe it didn't age well with regards to animation and choreography those are one of the main reasons as to why I recommend the manga version over the anime. I wish they would do a proper remake but I won't hold my breath.

MistaAsh said:
Theo1899 said:

Legend of The Galactic Heroes was produced over a period of almost 10 years from 1988 to 1997 by the different studios so the quality of animation varies greatly.
May 17, 2020 1:22 PM

Jun 2019
Kemono Friends

1. Because it's CGI and I don't like CGI animation compared to traditional animation even if it's the best CGI in the whole world

2. Because it's far from the best CGI in the whole world and is actually pretty cheap and amateurish looking

Still would rather watch it over a lot of shows touting God-tier animation though.

Art style is a different matter, but I'm not usually bothered by animation quality to the extent of a lot of people who comment here, because to me the differences often seem fairly minor and hard to detect so it's difficult to gauge on that basis. I can see clearly stellar animation versus pretty far below average and shoddy, but a lot of the time I read comments about the "bad animation" or "horrible animation" in this or that series and I'm like - "Really? What was so bad about it?" Usually the people saying that are commenting about older series and they just don't like older art styles and are mixing up the two, even if the technical animation quality is actually equally at par with or even superior to a modern series they prefer. I really don't find myself caring if the texture of some object appearing on screen for a few seconds looks weird or there's some off-model facial expression, features, or body posture in-between frames. To me it just seems like not a big deal and far less important than the actual story and writing (both plot and dialogue), music, voice acting, etc.

And when taking the visual factor into account, I care more about art style than animation. There are a few series in my mind which had such a unique or moving story in my opinion that I wish they did some things different visually as well rather than a more generic art style.

Animation-wise though, from just this year, 2020, Id:Invaded comes to mind. If I had to judge I would say the animation is at least slightly below average. The art style is okay although not my favorite either, but I think the animation definitely is consider subpar in conventional terms. Like I said, it really doesn't bother me though. It's still a solid enough Sci-Fi police procedural.

May 17, 2020 1:34 PM

Nov 2017
Pupa had terrible production values all around, but I found the story to be strong enough to carry the series regardless. Of course, I'm one of those weirdos who actually liked one of the most universally panned anime of all time, so make of that what you will.
May 17, 2020 1:35 PM

Oct 2016
-YuYu Hakusho-Not great but still worth watching.
-Rurouni Kenshin-Only the Kyoto arc tbh, also not great but still worth watching.
-The Berserk movie trilogy, same thing.
-Blue Gender
-Digimon Tamers
-Haibane Renmei
-Kaleido Star
-Koi Kaze, not great and controversial but still worth watching.
-Shinsekai Yori
-Shouwa Genroku is rather well animated by Deen standards but still far from great, I only recommend the first season.
-From this year Dorohedoro, far from great but out of the shows I watched from this year, it's still aoty for now.
May 17, 2020 10:32 PM

Feb 2013
Stygian_Prisoner said:
Bokurano has low production values in general (mediocre art, bad 2000's mecha CGI), but the plot and characters are really compelling; that's what carries the show throughout. Though it's a shame it went for an anime-original ending because the director apparently disliked the manga's ending.
That's what happens when the worst anime studio, Gonzo, does an anime.
I've heard what the real ending was supposed to be... so yeah... a reboot anime with a competent studio would be nice.

Vilkku92 said:
Pupa had terrible production values all around, but I found the story to be strong enough to carry the series regardless. Of course, I'm one of those weirdos who actually liked one of the most universally panned anime of all time, so make of that what you will.
Pupa was interesting. I think the visuals actually helped it... made it that much more "strange."
So, there are at least 2 of us around here that didn't hate it.

More topics from this board

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

20 by DigiCat »»
3 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 9 hours ago

11 by Avicebrons »»
12 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 9 hours ago

18 by Ratris_Decision »»
28 minutes ago

» What is your opinion on anime becoming mainstream? ( 1 2 )

BroDa2545 - Apr 16

53 by maya2003s »»
29 minutes ago

» What if all characters, not just main, had infinite mana?

Catalano - 1 hour ago

1 by romagia »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.