Forum Settings
Forums

Which anime fandom has put you off from checking their show?

New
May 3, 2020 11:27 PM
Jul 2018
One look at a fandom and you can see what kind of people their anime targets so this can be an easy way to determine if its for you or not.

And ofc give the reason why?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 3, 2020 11:33 PM

Jun 2019
HxH fanbase. I can't lurk around shonen related threads without seeing someone sucking off Togashi's "magnum opus".

And most waifu wars oriented shows usually have unappealing fanbases from my experience.

ブレ
ブレ
ブレ
ブレ

May 3, 2020 11:40 PM
Jul 2018
I only saw the first season of Attack on Titan and enjoyed it at the time but I have no interest in seeing the rest of the series because of bad experiences with both the fandom and the hatedom.

Jojo is a weird one because I found the memes really obnoxious and when I finally did give it a chance I felt hype backlash... but then I watched more of it and ended up rather enjoying it and even find the memes funny if they're not completely shoehorned. I cannot stand the evangelical fans that think it's the best work of fiction ever made, though.
removed-userMay 5, 2020 5:47 PM
May 3, 2020 11:48 PM

Dec 2019
neon genesis evangelion

I was like 13,and went to a hot topic to look at the anime merch. They had neon genesis merch, and I said "this is ugly". It had like the tree of life on it, and neon genesis in like white chalky lettering. The worker overheard me, and was like "no it's not it has to do with symbolism".He then processed to rant to me for about 10 minutes how wonderful the show was, and I was too young to understand. My mom eventually found me, and took me away from the guy. I never went to a hot topic again. Yeah that experience just gave me a bad relation to the show. Hot topic always had the weird customers, and workers tbh. I will probably watch neon genesis eventually, but like anytime I think about watching it I recall that incident. The guy completely turned me off form the series.
May 3, 2020 11:49 PM

Sep 2008
"their show"
the show does not belong to the fandom, not now not ever. they have no say in what goes and what doesn't in the show.
the fandom is irrelevant. always will be.
you can watch anime without interacting with people who like it. just the same way you can drink coffee, along with everyone else who does and not share your cup.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
May 3, 2020 11:52 PM

Dec 2018
I honestly think that refusing to watch a show or disliking a show because of the fan base is really stupid. The show doesn’t belong to them and you have no obligation to interact with them at all. There’s always a shitty side to most fan bases and some have bigger and more shittier sides than others, but I don’t see how that impacts your own viewing of the show.

For example, I think the JoJo fandom is one of the most obnoxious fan bases out there but I still really enjoy the show and the manga. A lot Hunter x Hunter and One Piece fans (and most Shounen fan bases) think their shows are the greatest things in existence yet I can enjoy both of these things without having to interact with the brain dead “fan base.” It’s not hard in anyway to avoid these annoying fan bases and still enjoy the anime.
NuggeyMay 3, 2020 11:57 PM
Meow meow meow meow and meow shogi, meow meow meow meow and meow shogi.

Taking one step a time, I work and try my best.
Though I'm the weakest of the bunch,
Expect from me a good paw punch!
Meow meow pawn, meow shogi.

May 3, 2020 11:58 PM

May 2014
Osomatsu-san, I basically go fight or flight everytime I see one of em shits now so I don't think I'll get much out of the show.
May 3, 2020 11:59 PM
Jul 2018
Nuggey said:
I honestly think that refusing to watch a show or disliking a show because of the fan base is really stupid. The show doesn’t belong to them and you have no obligation to interact with them at all. There’s always a shitty side to most fan bases and some have bigger and more shittier sides than others, but I don’t see how that impacts your own viewing of the show.

For example, I think the JoJo fandom is one of the most obnoxious fan bases out there but I still really enjoy the show and the manga. A lot Hunter x Hunter and One Piece fans (and most Shounen fan bases) think their shows are the greatest things in existence yet I can enjoy both of these things without having to interact with the brain dead “fan base.” It’s not hard in anyway to avoid these annoying fan bases and still enjoy the anime.

I do agree. But it becomes a problem when you interact with the general anime community and they lump you together with a specific fandom just because you like the show.

Also as you mention Jojo. One of the reasons I kinda don't enjoy Jojo as much is duo to interacting with its fanbase as well. Despite still liking parts of it, some fans really put me off from the franchise.
May 3, 2020 11:59 PM

Aug 2015
Right now the one major one I would say is JoJo
Metal, games, and good friends make life worth living
Discord: kingkrazy#0336
May 4, 2020 12:02 AM

Dec 2016
None, not even the annoying Jojo one. Seems pretty childish to me to refuse to watch something because of a reason external to the work itself like the people following it and whatever their behaviors may be.
May 4, 2020 12:02 AM

Dec 2013
My Hero Academy, though the character design itself was enough to turn me off. The fanbase was just confirmation
May 4, 2020 12:05 AM
Jul 2018
OrihimeInoues said:
My Hero Academy, though the character design itself was enough to turn me off

I agree. I forced myself to see two seasons of MHA because people were saying it isl ike the second coming of HxH, but it really wasn't. I also dislike the character designs and find that most into that series only fap to hentai of the characters instead of anything else. Not saying that's everyone, but most fans I've interacted with admit they only care for the hentai.
May 4, 2020 12:07 AM

Dec 2018
Tenjoin said:
Nuggey said:

I do agree. But it becomes a problem when you interact with the general anime community and they lump you together with a specific fandom just because you like the show.

Yeah, I definitely hate this. The worst thing to me about a toxic fan base is that when you end up enjoying the anime, there are very little people outside the shitty fan base to talk to about it. You either have to go along with the fan base and agree that “X” show is the best thing ever or never talk about the anime because if you say one good thing about it, everyone will attack you for being apart of the toxic fan base. I’ve gotten pretty used to this attitude of the community though.
Meow meow meow meow and meow shogi, meow meow meow meow and meow shogi.

Taking one step a time, I work and try my best.
Though I'm the weakest of the bunch,
Expect from me a good paw punch!
Meow meow pawn, meow shogi.

May 4, 2020 12:08 AM

Jun 2012
I'd like to say none to look cool, but really it's all of them. I hate all of the fanbases and wish I could delete them. Maybe just because "fan" is the lowest common denominator of a person's identity.
May 4, 2020 12:09 AM

Dec 2013
Tenjoin said:
OrihimeInoues said:
My Hero Academy, though the character design itself was enough to turn me off

I agree. I forced myself to see two seasons of MHA because people were saying it isl ike the second coming of HxH, but it really wasn't. I also dislike the character designs and find that most into that series only fap to hentai of the characters instead of anything else. Not saying that's everyone, but most fans I've interacted with admit they only care for the hentai.

Not surprised...aren’t they minors too...I swear.
May 4, 2020 12:14 AM

Jul 2019
Jojo fans. Although I'm really happy that I actually gave a chance to the Jojo manga and anime. I wasn't disappointed.
May 4, 2020 12:17 AM

Jul 2019
I really don't know if there is one. I think the Monogatari series, but I am intending on watching it. I hate My Hero Academias fandom but I do enjoy the show
May 4, 2020 12:21 AM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
I'm gonna be real honest here. It definitely that one series called JoJo.
The meme line is cool though, but I wouldn't invest in the show just for meme "omae wa mou shin de iru"
I prefer plot.
May 4, 2020 1:26 AM
Jan 2020
Why would you let people put off a show for you?? At the end of the day, all fandoms have toxic ass people. You shouldn’t let them ruin anything for you.
May 4, 2020 1:31 AM

Jun 2016
None. If a show has a shitty fanbase it doesn't mean it sucks.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 4, 2020 1:37 AM

Apr 2015
None, I don't understand how an anime fandom could keep you from checking out a show if you can just ignore them?? It's sad if toxic people are keeping you from watching something you'd potentially like.

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
May 4, 2020 1:41 AM

Mar 2015
JoJo is living proof that an anime can be good even if it has the most cancerous & obnoxious fanbase.

Also I think taking a look at the synopsis instead of the fandom is a better way to determine if a show is for you or not. Like, if you go on Twitter you'll find 'woke' people in every fandom, but that doesn't mean the anime caters to them specifically.
May 4, 2020 1:47 AM
Apr 2016
I am not that superficial to have something like "fandom" on some third rate websites to affect my perception of art. For I know, first of all, that the "foreign" fandom of a piece ofart is just not worth it.
Re:formed
May 4, 2020 1:50 AM

Feb 2015
I wouldn't have watched SnK/BnHA or listened to any K-pop if I really cared about fandoms.
May 4, 2020 1:57 AM

Jun 2012
xkazutox said:
The meme line is cool though, but I wouldn't invest in the show just for meme "omae wa mou shin de iru"
I prefer plot.
Is that a JoJo meme?
Anything is possible I suppose.

Jun 2012
I think I could easily get along with any of the obnoxious fandom out there but that's no reason for me to check out the anime they're promoting because I only believed in my own set of standards of what shows to watch.

Oh maybe an exception would be to that person the other day who was shouting "old anime(s)" are the be all end all. I agree that old anime have charms but saying it like that's the only good thing about anime is making me doubt his logic. I wouldn't be surprised if he/she will praise high school dxd if it aired in the 70s. That's how biased his/her all argument.

Oct 2019
I've tried many of the shows that have supposedly 'cancerous' fanbases, eg. AoT, JoJo, HxH, FMAB, and MHA. I happened to enjoy all of them very much and probably would not have tried many of these animes if it weren't for vocal fans and the high ratings.

It seems really silly to me that a fandom would influence a person's objective view on the quality of an anime.

I understand it can come across as obnoxious. I personally find the Daisuke fangirls from Balance:Unlimited to be absolutely wacko. However, docking points and shaming the anime itself due to fanbase behaviour is pretty sad. I think it breeds a lot of toxicity and ill-will within the anime community as well.
sashimisoMay 4, 2020 3:17 AM
May 4, 2020 2:10 AM

Aug 2013
Gintama. Not because they're annoying or anything but because each fan has a different idea of when it "gets good". Some tell you by the second episode, others by episode 20, some even by episode 50, so...I just gave up trying altogether. My patience for a show to get good is near zero, and Gintama has way too many "get goods" surrounding it. I can't understand someone watching 20~50 episodes of a show they don't think it's that good.
May 4, 2020 2:15 AM

Jan 2020
My Hero Acadamia. I don't know why exactly but something doesn't feel right.
My youtube channel about music and anime :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_rrNoYApg1VQ-PIT7jZ37Q
May 4, 2020 2:16 AM

Jan 2010
Tenjoin said:
One look at a fandom and you can see what kind of people their anime targets so this can be an easy way to determine if its for you or not.

And ofc give the reason why?

Wut, no. I don't judge anime based on it's fandom.
May 4, 2020 3:17 AM

Oct 2019
Shows like Jojo, BNHA, AOT and even Demon Slayer are probably the most notorious for their fanbase and while they have a lot of really cool people who just enjoy the series and like memeing stuff every now and then. I've certainly seen a lot of just dumping the show onto random passerbys or making a reference every 2 minutes (As a Jojo fan, I was guilty of this originally).

I don't really think that anime fandoms will put me off from watching or liking a show, but I can see why it sort of puts off people from enjoying a show, because everytime you try and watch the show. You just get flashbacks to all the times random fans just started endlessly worshipping and praising shows and shoving everything about it down people's throat when we just want to have a relaxing time
HoomanBeingMay 4, 2020 3:22 AM
May 4, 2020 3:25 AM
Nov 2018
100% jojo fans. These people are like the kpop fans of anime, they glorify jojo as if its the BTS of anime.Every breath the characters make are made into "memes" .I want to watch jojo, but its fandom really put me off from watching it.
May 4, 2020 3:40 AM

May 2016
Gintama. One of the most toxic fanbases I've encountered, and I'm not just limited it to anime fanbases. Gintama fanboys give Call of Duty and Minecraft fanboys a run for their money. still got nothing on all the 'battle arena' communities (DotA, LoL, Overwatch, and so forth.)
If you disagree with any thoughts or opinions expressed in the above post, you're wrong and I hate you forever!
May 4, 2020 3:43 AM

Oct 2019
Never happened to me, but I remember when the final arcs of Tokyo Ghoul Re (Manga) were still coming out the fandom became crazy because of some decisions that the Mangaka made in the story.... and people started to burn their volumes and throw away their Tokyo Ghoul march.

I drooped the series because of them, sure it doesn't represent the majority of the fans or the story but It was unbearable.
Shoko664May 4, 2020 3:49 AM
May 4, 2020 3:57 AM
Jul 2018
I really do like fanbases a lot and within those you will find toxic or great people, like everywhere else.
It's just either edgelord behaviors, people looking down on others tastes, narrow-minded people that will bash on 90 % of the anime that are made, ... that's what disturbs me.
May 4, 2020 4:02 AM

Mar 2020
I don't let this influence my opinion

BUT

konosuba fans are obnoxious
May 4, 2020 6:48 AM

Jun 2017
Though I'm one of those people thinking you shouldn't care about much about fandom I completely agree with this:
Shitaste said:
most waifu wars oriented shows usually have unappealing fanbases from my experience.
Also the same with those anime "shipping characters" take a big part of discussion...
May 4, 2020 6:53 AM

Feb 2010
That's a pretty stupid thing to do, since the loudest and most obnoxious fans of any series are always gonna be what you notice but they're never representative for the whole fandom, not to mention the actual show. There's shitty fans for every single one of my favorites, but if I'd been missing out on them just because of that I'd be stupid as hell. That's how a bunch of the replies to this thread look like: stupid as hell, people missing out on fantastic shows that could become their favorites because of some randoms who said something somewhere on the internet. If you want other people and their obnoxiousness to rob you from experiencing some amazing shows, that's just weak af if you ask me. I don't want to give random people on the internet that much power over me, over my decisions, my enjoyment, the way in which I watch anime. Why would you? What kind of message does it even send?
"To punish you for being an asshole, I will withhold potentially great enjoyment from myself. Hah, take that!"
[...]

The only even remotely related example I can think of from my own experience is that I watched Hibike S1 (I watched it, so it's already different than just avoiding it for no real reason) and had terribly toxic encounters with the fanbase afterwards that really made me want to not have anything to do with them. In combination with me not being particularly invested in the story anyway I just didn't have much of an incentive to check out S2 when it came out because my memories of the fans attacking me were still pretty fresh, so I didn't.

But I did eventually get back to it years later and it was a solid watch. Definitely something I enjoyed, but also nothing I would have missed if I never watched it - I knew that much after S1 which made it easier to skip S2. I could never, ever do that for a show or franchise I haven't seen anything of. I need to actually judge a show based on, well, the show itself.

Satyr_icon said:
Gintama. Not because they're annoying or anything but because each fan has a different idea of when it "gets good". Some tell you by the second episode, others by episode 20, some even by episode 50, so...I just gave up trying altogether. My patience for a show to get good is near zero, and Gintama has way too many "get goods" surrounding it. I can't understand someone watching 20~50 episodes of a show they don't think it's that good.

Well, that's understandable and as a Gintama fan I always get annoyed by that too, because I think all of it is bullshit. The only thing going on in Gintama is that it's a long show with a huge cast and it takes a while for all of that cast to be introduced, for all the running gags to start running, for all the character dynamics to be established. The bigger the scope and cast of your show is the longer the 'introduction' or 'setup' phase will take, the longer it will take until it peaks. Most shows can't go full-speed from episode 1 because you need setup and buildup. That's where all these Gintama numbers come from, just the fact that it's part of the natural progression of a show like that to not peak immediately.

Does that mean the early parts are 'bad'? No, not at all. It just means they aren't the best part of the show, they aren't as good as the best parts. But there is no magical switch at a certain episode, it starts pretty fun and then just keeps building on it, gradually getting funnier and funnier the more cast members are introduced, until it reaches a point where the start just feels kinda weak in comparison to where it's at. But none of the people who say 'It gets good after 50 episodes' were watching the first 50 episodes thinking 'this is just bad, let's just keep going anyway'.

If you don't like anything about the early eps, you will never become a fan, it's that simple. Because the main characters, the main selling point of the show, are there from the start. If you find it kinda entertaining early on, but just not living up to its incredible reputation, that's where I'd recommend sticking with it because it does get better, like most shows that require a lot of setup do. But it's good from the start, although the first 2 episodes in particular are probably some of the more boring ones.

So yeah, I think 'it only gets good at ep X' is very misleading and unhelpful phrasing because that implies it was garbage before that. But it really just means that it keeps getting better and better and takes a while to peak, which I'd also say about many other shows with that many episodes. 'Long anime that needs a lot of setup only gets good after X episodes' is always an exaggeration or simply bullshit if you ask me. People say it about One Piece as well, but it's just not true.

It's just that with anime that get so much better later on, the fans forget they were good from the start just because they weren't AS good from the start. They basically get punished for having extremely high ceilings, which I find ridiculous. Don't trust anyone who says something like that, unless it's just about the first episode or the first two - there are some legitimate examples of shows having very misleading first episodes and just in general asking for 1 or 2 episodes of patience is never unreasonable. But any number large than that? I would put on my Skepticles, no matter the show.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 4, 2020 6:56 AM

Jul 2019
Dragon Ball and My Hero fandom. For Dragon Ball, I just hate when people post something and say "My n**** Goku can wipe the floor with..." or "Blah blah is the GOAT (fire emoji)". I hate that stuff and they make me not want to watch it. And for the My Hero, I'm already on season 4 but I stopped watching it and I would pick it up but the My Hero fandom, YALL ARE SO CRINGY. Like I actually cannot with you guys. Good show though, cringy fandom
May 4, 2020 6:59 AM

Apr 2020
All fandoms disgust me to my core. I'm definitely put off from watching things like Demon Slayer that get really big overnight and just form the most cancerous groups of people. Also fujos make me regret watching any BL so I tend to avoid talking to people about them.

The worst one I've come across is the Seraph of the End fandom. A bunch of horny little toxic gremlin girls who live on tumblr... Absolutely vile through and through. I finished the first season before even encountering them and seeing how the act and talk made me regret watching it immediately. I'm never watching the second season.
May 4, 2020 7:00 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Iunno, probably none as the main reason. The closest I can think of is when I used to say bullshit about Jojo back when people were a lot more forceful about that series, but the fanbase was far from the only thing keeping me from getting into that in the first place. I'm just straight up not interested in any of it. That was just to keep a few people I know off of my back about watching it, because good god shut the fuck up I'm not interested go have fun with your thing and don't try to convert me if I don't want to please.

Monogatari has my least favorite fanbase on the whole, and I still think it's a good enough show to drop a couple hundred euro on a figure of my favorite character from it.

I could see myself not wanting to watch something if it started attracting certain types of people, though, or at least be wary of it. I was wary of Shield Hero because of the discussion surrounding it, both positive and negative, and the type of people both sides attracted. But at the end of the day I still tend to like that type of show so I gave it a shot.

May 4, 2020 7:08 AM

Nov 2016
None so far, but Gotoubun threads were so cancer that I stayed away from them most of the time.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 4, 2020 7:09 AM

Sep 2018
None. If the show interests me ill watch it, the fandom has nothing to do with it.
May 4, 2020 7:22 AM

Mar 2019
Jojo and ToG.
Can't stand those people, tried their shows, turns out they're trash, as i excpected
May 4, 2020 8:34 AM

Jan 2018
xkazutox said:
I prefer plot.

I hope you're not saying that line is from Jojo, because it isn't lol
What a beautiful Duwang
May 4, 2020 8:38 AM

Jan 2018
I'm glad this was never an issue for me. Judging something based off of its fanbase and not the actual quality is goober shit. MHA, Undertale, Steven Universe and Star Wars all have aggressively shitty fanbases, but that doesn't influence how I feel about them.
Jus1294May 4, 2020 8:48 AM
What a beautiful Duwang
May 4, 2020 8:41 AM

Jan 2018
Why should someone effect what I or you watch? If I want to watch something, I'll watch it. What kind of pathetic excuse is that?
May 4, 2020 6:13 PM

Jul 2013
lol, knew JoJo was gonna be on here. I got into JoJo for the memes and probably participated in some cringe myself. I tried to keep it on r/ShitpostCrusaders. I still love a KONO DIO DA! when I wasn't expecting it.

I learned years ago, when I was on Tumblr, that fandoms can be like cancer. Shipping wars are THE WORST, and I wasn't even in them.

Shipping wars and toxicity is why I actively avoid the MHA fandom, I'm too old for that crap. I do enjoy some memes and pictures of Ochaco. She's so freaking cute, I just want to hug her.

Kill la Kill was a fun fandom though: most of the people who thought it was too pervy / violent / over-the-top bailed in the early episodes leaving the fans to do whatever. Limited amount of shipping since there wasn't romance in it other than "x might have a crush on y." Everyone was too busy being naked and fighting alien clothes to spend much time on it.

Okay that was off-topic but I needed some Tumblr flashbacks that weren't war flashbacks.
May 4, 2020 6:31 PM

Oct 2017
None fandoms aren't going to impact my enjoyment of a show. I separate the two. Why would I want to avoid content I could really enjoy just because some people are garbage? There are a lot of good/decent titles that have terrible fandoms.
May 4, 2020 6:46 PM

Feb 2018
If a show interests me enough I'll watch it regardless (and if I dislike a fandom I'll leave it while still watching the show if it's still good), but some fandoms don't give a lot of incentive to check the shows out. I tend to notice that One Piece fans just say to read the manga (and are understanding of the fact that the 900+ episode count is intimidating) and I've generally seen Bleach being regarded as fine but too drawn out (partly due to filler), so it's not like I'm never going to watch them, but for 300+ episode investments it's a large time commitment I could spend reading a version that's recommended as better, or watching something else better than fine. I'll probably get around to checking them out one way or another eventually tho, based on the fact that I heard somewhat similar advice about Rurouni Kenshin (manga's superior plus filler), and Inuyasha (repetitive), but both interested me enough to check out and have been pretty solid so far.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

42 by APolygons2 »»
1 minute ago

» New anime fans have an extreme inferiority complex and huge beef with older fans

EastIndiaCompany - 7 minutes ago

2 by Serafos »»
4 minutes ago

» Is there any specific setting or theme you’re biased to

nishant0 - 6 minutes ago

2 by Zimmu »»
4 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 2 hours ago

13 by Lucifrost »»
6 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Apr 25

72 by Toooooooooohru »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.