Forum Settings
Forums

For many of you, do you feel guilty for not paying for anime and manga?

New
Apr 18, 2020 10:05 AM

Mar 2019
I could bet that less than 50% of all anime and manga fans actually paid for these entertainments. Free sites are far more popular than sites like Crunchyroll. For me, I personally do feel a little guilty. I love the series yet I cannot afford to pay for it and forced to watch/read them free online. But I've started to buy real manga volumes recently. For anime, not at all.

So, this is counterintuitive, to avoid disrespecting the anime production staffs, I download the anime in HD and watch it with soundproof earphones. If I want to steal, I'll steal the best as to not insult the original makers of the product.
Apr 18, 2020 10:43 AM

Sep 2018
Well no, I think that a lot of people wouldn't be able to enjoy anime and or manga without pirated sites considering that funimation and Crunchyroll are not available in certain countries and those people who pirate anime also help grow the community as much as people who pay for anime
Apr 18, 2020 11:13 AM

Jan 2010
No. Because I support my favorite anime in other ways. Like buying physical copy of the source material or buying official merchs.
Apr 18, 2020 11:27 AM

Dec 2014
Nope, as I buy official anime merchandise for the anime that I like the most so I am still supporting the anime community
Apr 18, 2020 11:28 AM

Aug 2016
No, and I'm not going to pay for multiple subscriptions to different sites to watch anime. I have Netflix and if it ain't there I'm watching on 9anime or something. The only thing I buy is lightnovels, with Manga I just burn through chapters way too fast for me to want to actually pay. Although if I've been thinking about looking for manga at a library or something, it would be cool to hold it physically in my hand while reading it, I love that with my light novels.
Apr 18, 2020 11:44 AM

Aug 2015
Yeah like the others, no. I watch it this way cause one site can have close to idk 90% of the anime, while payed-for sites are limited. That and I do not have the money to constantly pay for a subscription while still in college.

So I support in buying the anime or the source material if its good enough.
Metal, games, and good friends make life worth living
Discord: kingkrazy#0336
Apr 18, 2020 11:45 AM

Jun 2014
Not anymore.

I used to buy anime DVDs all the time, but when I switched to Blu-ray, the prices were much higher, so I just stopped buying stuff.

You should never buy anything unless you've seen it first.

Apr 18, 2020 11:54 AM
Jul 2018
no, no guilt here. i do feel a bit shameful in advance for the thought of pirating Cyberpunk 2077 :(
Apr 18, 2020 12:12 PM

Aug 2018
Nope, there isn't really any streaming options here. I've got Netflix, Prime and I wouldn't mind paying a few dollar more for a decent anime service.

Lots of MAL users are student, if you ask the ones with full time jobs I'm sure most would be willing to pay if the service is good. Netflix is a good example, good UI, video quality, catalog and recommendations with good backend infrastructure so no buffering. Now if only they'd simulcast anime weekly.

I've never really looked into a manga service since I hardly read but there's definitely a need for a good manga site. The free ones are shit.
<Insert clever quote>
Apr 18, 2020 1:05 PM

Apr 2018
It depends.

If there is a way to stream an anime series I want legally, then I watch it on either Crunchyroll, Hulu, Amazon Prime, TubiTv, or RetroCrush if available on either one of these services (My family pays for Amazon Prime and Hulu, and I just watch Crunchyroll, RetroCrush, and TubiTV free with the Ads)

If there's no way I can legally stream an anime, then I just use the illegal streaming services. I would love to buy a DVD box set of, say, Maple Town or Tokyo Mew Mew, but there's no legal option to watch either of these shows where I am, so I can't really feel guilty if no other option is available.

I don't read as much manga, but I only use the illegal scanlation sites if the manga is either OOP or has never been licensed. Otherwise, I either try to save up for birthdays and holidays or just go to the library and see if they have the manga I want to read.
NostalgiaGoddessJul 19, 2020 8:38 AM
Apr 18, 2020 1:56 PM

Mar 2015
I tried really hard to stream anime legally but legal streaming sites are either unavailable or do not have animes I want to watch licensed in my country. I tried using VPNs but that basically doubles the subscription price and sites like Crunchyroll and Netflix have actually banned me few times even if I am playing their subscription...
Apr 18, 2020 2:37 PM

Dec 2018
Not really. I've been able to buy the physical copy from time to time but honestly I wouldn't have gotten into anime if it weren't for piracy. I don't think a lot of people would be on this site right now.
Apr 18, 2020 3:00 PM

Mar 2019
When I go to Japan I want to buy blu-ray DVDs of my favorite ones like Kiss X Sis and Kingdom. Other than that, not really. I watch a lot of movies/tv shows on sketchy internet websites not just anime.

I think being able to watch stuff for free makes me care less if I watch something low quality. I can watch bad stuff for the sole purpose of critique and education without having to directly support bad movies/TV shows.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 18, 2020 3:08 PM

Jul 2019
CrimsonMidnight said:
No. Because I support my favorite anime in other ways. Like buying physical copy of the source material or buying official merchs.

This^^

Also, the fact that Crunchyroll blocked like 90% anime in my country doesn't help at all.
Apr 18, 2020 3:15 PM

Apr 2015
If I am able I try to buy stuff, often just manga since I don't like merchandises and DVD/BD are expensive and harder to order. I however use legal streaming services when available.
Apr 18, 2020 3:29 PM

Jan 2009
maybe if i got the money i will feel guilty

but i do feel guilty (second hand(?)) when i see people on twitter for example so arrogantly being proud of being a pirate to the point they will even tag/mention the twitter accounts of the author and anime makers like wtf
Apr 18, 2020 3:36 PM

Dec 2016
No bro cause I have to be ruthless to become the king of the pirates
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Apr 18, 2020 4:27 PM

Jul 2012
Not really because I would be much more inclined to buy merchandise for specific series if I had the funding available. Like over my lifetime there's easily a couple thousand dollars worth of figures, models, games, etc. that can all be directly traced to anime franchises. I have no interest in say buying blu rays or DvDs because I don't really rewatch shows and I don't even generally read manga through free alternatives so I have no incentive to buy it.
Apr 18, 2020 4:52 PM
Feb 2017
I sometimes forget that I don't even pay for it. That's how guilty I feel.
Apr 18, 2020 8:55 PM
Jul 2018
i just want to watch things. if someone else feels bad about it its on them. i particularly don't see the big deal in doing it, its not like i would pay for it if i had the money to spare
Apr 18, 2020 9:07 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
First, Crunchyroll is free just with ads (unless you use ad block).

I watch a lot of anime legally on Crunchyroll or on Netflix (used to watch on Hulu) which we now get as a bonus for no additional charge with our phone plan. Actually, there are a lot of legal sites where you can watch anime for free nowadays, so I don't watch illegally very often. Heck, you can even watch some anime (indie or not) on Youtube for free.

When I do watch illegally, thanks to how much more available anime is nowadays, it's kinda more like, "Eh. Just this once". I'm also not afraid to drop some dollars on the anime I really love. There are sites like Rightstuf who seem to always have sales and deals too-- eventually you're going to find some of your favorite titles for a good price if you don't want to spend the full price. I don't really use Prime Video because I prefer having the physical copy, but I noticed Amazon has rental options for certain anime usually for like $2.99, which is pretty cheap.

When Borders was around, I'd buy a lot of manga new there, but I also bought a lot of secondhand anime and manga, so I own a lot of physical copies of both manga and anime. Ya know, I even buy some manga here on MAL-- you can't read them offline, like with other digital manga sellers, but sometimes they sell a manga volume for like 99 cents and I can't help but buy it if I'm even a little interested. I think 99 cents is the least I can do.

ALSO, Shonen Jump has free manga up a lot. Subscribing to Shonen Jump (digital) is only $1.99 a month which gives you access to like almost all their manga. I remember Shonen Jump used to be like $20 a month though it was huge and had some nice little extras.

Like yo, things are so cheap compared to how much they used to be. I know money's tight for people-- me too, but I just can't help but side eye a little when people are like, "I have no money, so I pirate" because most things you can watch for free or it's really cheap.

I dunno. I was raised by "unless it's a necessity, if you can't afford it then you don't need it and won't get it". It was just that simple. We didn't have money for a lot of things so I didn't get them. Things are easier to get illegally these days, but I never feel like I'm entitled to watch them even if I do. I don't do things that I'm not able to/willing to pay for or wouldn't be willing to pay any fines for if I were caught. Just like with speeding while driving; I've never been caught and usually drive the speed limit, but I'd know what I did, just give me my ticket so I can go.
SwiggyApr 18, 2020 11:05 PM

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Apr 18, 2020 10:29 PM

Dec 2019
no and TV is dying nowadays lol. also spending for virtual stuff sucks personally.

If I want to support the author, I would buy something physical instead (Anime DVD, manga, etc)
Ḻ͖͚̤̥͂ͪͩ̽ͅo͖̺̒̉r̰̝ͣͤ̌̉̃̀d ͈̹̠͎͙̗ͪ̄͆ͪ̈̃̀R̩͌͂͑ͦi͔̯̱̣̹̜̲x͕̮̞̮̪̒͆̈́u̜̦͔͈̮͕͈͐̇̔̒̐el̰̖̦͒͛

Discord qhCsvqT

Make English people read this: Ohio go say mass
Apr 19, 2020 1:45 AM

Mar 2008
No point in feeling guilt if you can't afford to pay. Leave that for the people with money to burn. To top it off it's the fault of the economic systems in place that make people have to work either to live or have additional things they want for a comfortable more enjoyable life. People should be doing work for the sheer enjoyment of it and be able to live a decent life regardless of it instead of having to follow the money.
Apr 19, 2020 7:15 AM

Mar 2019
not really. I've been watching pirated anime and reading scanlations since I was 12. tbh I never even thought about it And I'm definitely not using sites like funimation or Crunchyroll because there straight trash. But if its a series I care for or enjoy ill try buy a hard cover or purchase dvd's.
Apr 19, 2020 7:22 AM
Jul 2018
why get something for $9.99/mo when i can get it for $0.00/yr
Apr 19, 2020 10:10 AM
Jul 2018
Not really, I've bought so much anime/manga merchandise over the years, that I just don't want to pay for it anymore. So if an anime is available to me on a free anime watching website, I won't hesitate to watch it from there. I've given the anime industries enough of my money.
Apr 19, 2020 10:20 AM

Feb 2020
I don't even feel guilty watching Crunchyroll with an adblocker.
Apr 19, 2020 3:38 PM

Jan 2019
Not really. I’ve been watching most of my anime pirated for years unless it’s on netflix, but I do own a lot of manga & some official merch so I feel like I’m still supporting the industry in other ways.
Apr 19, 2020 6:13 PM

Mar 2019
Well no, simply because :

1. Some of the legal sites aren't available in every country.
2. The database of the illegal sites are much larger, legal sites are only limited to specific animes.
3. Sometimes the translations are bad af, specifically, translated my own language, so I prefer watching a fansub.
4. Not everyone can pay in dollars or in euros to watch anime, some people are from poor countries that "paying" for CR as an example would cost them a lot (i.e. some currencies are meh).
Apr 19, 2020 7:52 PM

Aug 2015
No. I live in Australia, if you don't get it from the high seas, you simply don't get it.

It is not even a case of here take my money.

Once they get their shyte together, different story.

It's not like a physical bowl of spaghetti, where if i take it from you, you do not get to eat, it is basically me copying your spaghetti. We all get to eat!

Should the content creators be rewarded? Yes. Do they via any supplier or paywall? No, or hardly.

Again, when the money gets to the right people, and supply is there legally, then I will not need the ship, me hearties. Awwrrrh.
idk about you but the closer a girl gets to looking like ronald mcdonald, the more aroused i become. CAV

where can we cast our eyes to @PoruMairu who thinks of himself a member of the true church. Helion.
Apr 19, 2020 7:57 PM

Oct 2012
Nope. If I'm going to pay any amount of money, you better be able to replicate the free service. Unfortunately, due to licensing issues, that's just not possible. Not my fault the anime streaming industry does not get their shit together. I do buy physical media for shows that I like, and I would have never liked any shows if I was prevented from seeing them in the first place.

The world does not work out as straightforwardly as the edicts of some cultural moral norms, especially when most notions are based of outdated inspirations of the 10 Commandments.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Apr 20, 2020 9:42 AM

Dec 2016
i'm trying to watch anime on actual streaming sites as much as possible, and i wanna buy more manga - but it's hard to feel guilty about it when, for the vast majority of the shit i read, there's no official translations. plus, even if i was watching shit legally, how much of the profit 'earned from me' would actually go towards the animators etc?
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Apr 20, 2020 12:03 PM

Sep 2014
no but I feel guilty for overpaying on import releases or overpriced aniplex releases...
Apr 20, 2020 12:05 PM

Dec 2017
Either I'm forced to pay for crunchykek or have to pay for overpriced blu rays, i try and watch it legally but its just much easier to pirate.
Apr 20, 2020 2:00 PM
Aug 2015
I feel guilty, I'd buy some if it were available in my city. The shipping fee to Romania would be too expensive. I can find some manga at the bookstore but not the ones I'd buy
Apr 20, 2020 2:02 PM

Aug 2009
As an adult with money who pays for things, I can't relate.

Apr 20, 2020 2:22 PM
May 2016
Anime, no I'd rather directly support animators through the Animator Dormitory Project with the limited amount of money I have than monetarily uphold the very structures that take advantage of their animating workforce. To me there is no purpose to pay licencing companies that just idly standby and do nothing for these people.

For manga/LN's, yes I do feel somewhat guilty and I do want to support them and buy official copies when I can. But the reality is that even when I buy something they get so little, like I think royalties for them is 10% for each manga/volume sold. I'd rather directly give them money tbh they'd get more money that way and most mangaka, especially ones that don't have a large following need it.
Apr 20, 2020 2:24 PM

Jun 2008
Um...but I do buy SOME anime and manga!

And that never would've happened if I never got to see anime and read manga for free!

That is 100% fact!
Apr 20, 2020 2:27 PM

Jan 2009
Potentsativa said:
I'd rather directly support animators through the Animator Dormitory Project

very cool man hopefully more people will follow
Apr 20, 2020 2:33 PM

Jun 2015
Well if I was rich I'd definitely pay for this shit.

but I cant afford anything. no so, I dont feel guilty.
Apr 21, 2020 1:27 PM
May 2016
no, because Uniquenameosaurus assures me that I'm doing the right thing
Apr 21, 2020 4:53 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
I would feel more guilty if I payed for everything that I have watched. Not everything is good enough to support financially.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes

More topics from this board

Poll: » modern life is more stressful?

deg - 3 hours ago

15 by Commit_Crime »»
21 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you believe we possess free will?

purple_rayn - 8 hours ago

25 by Commit_Crime »»
40 minutes ago

» Any former posters from the Crunchyroll Comment Section make it over here?

Trivia-man-Frank - Sep 14

8 by Yuno »»
1 hour ago

» How does it feel to have a crush on someone?

Zakatsuki_ - Yesterday

42 by Soverign »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » what do you remember more is it good memories or bad memories?

deg - 4 hours ago

15 by ghostsamurai »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.