Forum Settings
Forums

Why is it so hard for me to watch anime now?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 4, 2020 1:09 PM

May 2015
it's probably just a phase
i've watched anime over 3+ years and you get two phases
one is when you find every anime interesting and you want to watch everything (a binge phase)
and the other one is where you find it's hard to find "good" anime to watch
so i recommend taking a break instead of forcing yourself
for me usually each phase lasts from 2 to 9 months, so just take it easy for now
Apr 4, 2020 1:22 PM

Jun 2019
Well for me I prefer to watch a lot of anime but sometimes anime gets boring and I will stop watching it. Well in my case I stopped watching anime and started to play games and after a month I wanted to watch anime back. So the only tip I can give is that try doing something other than watching anime and after a few days or so you can get interested to watch anime again but I'm this is based on my experience so I can't guarantee that it would work for you.
OR
just wait for an interesting anime to be released or just watch old anime that are good like Full Metal Panic! or Hellsling Ultimate
Apr 4, 2020 1:24 PM
Demon Venerable

Apr 2018
Konatose said:
I used to be able to watch an anime series a day and could never get bored of watching anime. Now I cannot seem to watch or have the attention span to watch any anime, like I'm finding it very difficult to be the god I once was.

Anyone know how or what can I do to not get bored of watching? Any tips to be able to binge series since I have nothing to do as my country is on lockdown

M having the same problem, but in my case I have switched from anime to reading novels/webtoons. I'm finding it hard to start something or finish the series I started, but I believe that it's purely because I was watching a lot of shitty shows lately. M gonna reach deep into my ''plan to watch pocket'' and find potentially the best shows I didn't watch yet and this should restore my invincible form from the past.(I was once able to watch ''Naruto'' for 35h straight with 4h break ^^). U should search your pocket too.
Btw. M reading novels all day long, just like I used to watch anime.
Apr 4, 2020 1:46 PM

Dec 2012
I'm watching less nowadays, but it's only because the stay at home order for the plague means I can't work so I sleep more and have found an interesting MMO game.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 4, 2020 1:57 PM

Jun 2019
I've had this problem a few times. As someone above pointed out (@Treuherzig) the first thing to do is find what kind of anime you find "easy watching", by that I mean you can put it on and not have to engage to much, you can be a passive viewer, rather than get strongly emotionally engaged and attached to a show.

For me I like easy to watch harem/ecchi romcoms like Cat Planet Cuties, DeaRs, Tsugumomo, My Bride Is A Mermaid & Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid etc, those types of show.

I set some shows on my ptw list ready, so that recently when I was finding it hard to pick up and watch much anime, after a big binge over Xmas, I picked up these shows to tide me over & give me something easy to consume. They were Girls Bravo, Freezing & Seven Mortal Sins (this was great).
Apr 4, 2020 2:18 PM
Jul 2019
Just take a long break of 1 months,2 months or more.

Try to watch something else like tv series or web series maybe it will help in my case it did work

Give more time to your academics and participate in work of your home

Try to watch something else like tv series or web series maybe it will help in my case it did work

Give more time to your academics and participate in work of your home

Just don't take it as a job

Mod Edit: Merged consecutive posts; use the edit button.
TenshoApr 10, 2020 9:11 AM
Apr 4, 2020 2:23 PM

Aug 2018
Konatose said:
I used to be able to watch an anime series a day and could never get bored of watching anime. Now I cannot seem to watch or have the attention span to watch any anime, like I'm finding it very difficult to be the god I once was.

Anyone know how or what can I do to not get bored of watching? Any tips to be able to binge series since I have nothing to do as my country is on lockdown

Way 1, rewatch your favorite shows.

Second sugestion, because I think that our top 10 is kinda similar I recommend you to check if you find something interesting in my list above 8.

Third, search for something that you actually enjoy.
Apr 4, 2020 2:32 PM

Mar 2019
This used to be the case for me
Back when I first got into anime i was able to binge a 25 episode series in a day no problem, 6 months later I could only do 12, and now sometimes i can manage 12 in a day, and on some days I can barely sit through 2 in a row without needing a break.
I think it's all down to motivation and enjoyment of what you're watching. When I watched Fruits Basket 2019, I could watch up to 5 episodes in a row, and I watched that show maybe 2 weeks ago and it's one of my favorites.
There are other shows like Senko-san and Azur lane that I have to force myself thorugh, while I managed to plow through Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works season 2 in an afternoon.
Overall, it's all down to motivation and enjoyment of the series you're watching.
Apr 4, 2020 2:38 PM
Jul 2018
you are probably getting burnt out. I'm not surprised.

Just don't binge it PRIMARILY.

Instead watch it as it airs, which is what I do. I watch on average about 30 anime at a time year round. Like, I might watch maybe 2-5 maybe 10 episodes of anime a day at most these days... but I watch anime literally every day and never get tired of it.

Sometimes I go back and binge anime that's already completed, but I still watch all the seasonal anime that comes out... at least the ones I want to. it basically amounts to around 30 anime at a time, and it's been like that for about 5 or so years now i think? I can't remember when exactly I switched from binge watching to watching seasonal, i think it was about 5 years ago, but it's worked out a lot better for me personally.

A lot of people don't like all of the seasonal anime that comes out, or are not satisfied with the current quality of anime.. but.. ya know, that's them. If you don't like it, don't watch it.
Apr 4, 2020 5:53 PM
Oct 2012
You want me to go inside your head and answer it for you
Apr 4, 2020 7:29 PM

Aug 2018
Like what others said just take a break
It happened to me too i love anime but sometimes im not in the mood to watch.

theres a days that i spend on it mostly in anime and other days that i dont instead watchin other stuff or playing moba.

But if you want to really go back to watchin anime here some tips

1: rewatch your favorite animes
2: watch some anime compilations on youtube (i recommend watchin KHORnime, it have a lot of good videos)
3: listen to a some anisongs
4: watch this popular anime youtuber like gigguk or the anime man
B O C C H I  S W E E P
Apr 4, 2020 11:55 PM

Feb 2018
Zax1e said:
Treuherzig said:
Well, you could try watching shows that are actually interesting.

A thing I noticed with a lot of fans here on MAL is that they feel like they have to watch every big anime, but no, you don't have to.If you want to, go for it, but it's just impossible to enjoy each big bug in the box.

First you should figure out what kind of shows don't get you to be bored.

After that, stop focusing on scores and ratings of shows, just because others didn't like one anime doesn't mean you won't.As an example, I loved Magical Girl Site and that show had a score of 6.50, plus many people tots didn't like it, even my friends.

Once you find one show you enjoy, look for recommendations. Example, I totally loved Say I love you,found kimi no todoke or ao haru ride in the recommendations, also loved those to bits.

Next, look out for bad apples.Another example, I basically said previously that I loved highschool romance drama. After looking for more, I found Peach girl and thought it might be just as good, and it was recommended to me in combination to kaichou wa maid sama/nana/bokura ga ita, and i liked all 3, so I thought I'd also like peach girl.But I ended up hating it soooooo much.

In combination with the last statement, don't feel the need to watch a show to the end in spite of completing it. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH DROPPING/QUITTING SHOWS YOU DON'T ENJOY. I wish I started following that rule much earlier, it would've saved me time, energy and will with many shows.

Hope I helped!

I am not OP but thank you very much for this comment, kinda motivated me to stop giving fucks about what other think. <3

Aww, I'm glad you think so! Just be yourself, friend~

Apr 7, 2020 8:42 AM

Feb 2016
jarring said:

Instead watch it as it airs, which is what I do. I watch on average about 30 anime at a time year round. Like, I might watch maybe 2-5 maybe 10 episodes of anime a day at most these days... but I watch anime literally every day and never get tired of it.

Sometimes I go back and binge anime that's already completed, but I still watch all the seasonal anime that comes out... at least the ones I want to. it basically amounts to around 30 anime at a time, and it's been like that for about 5 or so years now i think? I can't remember when exactly I switched from binge watching to watching seasonal, i think it was about 5 years ago, but it's worked out a lot better for me personally.

A lot of people don't like all of the seasonal anime that comes out, or are not satisfied with the current quality of anime.. but.. ya know, that's them. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

casual watching i cant do. im a series/cour a day kind of person not an episode a day person

SapphyeePH said:

theres a days that i spend on it mostly in anime and other days that i dont instead watchin other stuff or playing moba.

2: watch some anime compilations on youtube (i recommend watchin KHORnime, it have a lot of good videos)

first offf yikes gigguk, ew. i hate gigguk. compilations spoil anime and ruin it for me. i cant rewatch something ive already seen
Apr 7, 2020 7:01 PM
Jul 2018
Konatose said:
jarring said:

casual watching i cant do. im a series/cour a day kind of person not an episode a day person

SapphyeePH said:

first offf yikes gigguk, ew. i hate gigguk. compilations spoil anime and ruin it for me. i cant rewatch something ive already seen

Just saying that's how you get burned out. I mean, you can watch it all day still, just better to watch it as it comes out.. so you don't get burned out watching only one anime at a time.

I find it a lot more entertaining watching 20-30+ anime at all times as they air. It's interesting that you think this mode of watching is "casual" lol. really speaks to your personality.

Also I dislike Gigguk as well. I avoid all anime youtubers like the plague. It's all super cringe to me, and usually just pisses me off anyways. Not because of spoilers, I usually keep up with anime as it airs so ya know, nothing to spoil.. but Gigguk is just kind of... annoying to me. I guess you could say I'm jealous. I hate that he's popular for what he does. It pisses me off that he can get away with that shit. lol
removed-userApr 7, 2020 7:09 PM
Apr 7, 2020 7:47 PM

Jul 2019
Konatose said:

Everybody burns out at some point. Just take a long break from anime.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Apr 8, 2020 5:28 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I spent a good while in that same position. Like, a couple years, up until the last couple of months. I still posted and talked about anime, but never watched anything new.

I just played videogames and listened to music. Started writing fanfiction. Y'know, other hobbies. It's fine to have them and if you don't feel like watching anime then those are all up and ready. And if you don't feel like doing any of your other hobbies, prime time to try something new.

Apr 8, 2020 6:28 AM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
It sound to me like you want to binge series back to back like you did when you were in middle school or high school.
My advice to avoid burn out is to find a balance for anime just how you find a balance for college/work.

1) Don't force yourself to watch multiple ongoing series just to keep up with the trend. This is what burn you out the most since you have to keep up with it weekly. It might even conflict with your school/work schedule so a few is enough or none at all.
2) When picking up completed series focus on one series at a time and take your time. Picking a tons and spread it out just make your brain do more work recalling stuffs happen in specific series. Just binge one at a time.
3) Understand the consequences of picking an super amazing show over the other less amazing show. This mean that you won't be hooked into as much as before. Action genre are typically fast paced and slice of life are typically slow paced. You can do fast paced back to back because it feel like the anime went by really quick. However, if you decided to watch a slow paced then another slow paced then it will kill your mood making you not wanting to watch any further and end up dropping it. Do make a plan of what you're watching back to back.
4) Avoid forums/youtube review on anime all together. You're mostly of wasting a lot of your time there than you think. Use that time for other things like socializing with friends/family is much better or simply do something else.
5)You're the one in control of your life. Do something productive that will benefit you. Focus on your health, pay attention to the food you eat since it affect your mood and get good sleep. If you have a private gym, go to the gym. If not, exercise at home or practice calisthenics.
(For me, working out is the best way to relief stress and build confident and motivation as you start seeing result. Heck I listen to anime music while going at it. A lot of bodybuilder/powerlifter in my area also like anime.)

This is solely my experience and take on avoiding burnout. Do please read advices from others too.
Fuwa_sanApr 8, 2020 6:44 AM
Apr 8, 2020 6:39 AM

Nov 2016
Do dopamine fasting for two weeks, after that watching anime will be as amazing as ever.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 8, 2020 6:53 AM

Apr 2019
I've binged about 5000 episodes over the past 1 year. You'd think lockdown would be awesome for this, but actually its turned out to be the opposite.

I'm getting quite tired of it now, so I'm revising down my plan to watch commitments for the year. Going to play more chess instead.
Bleach is best consumed with your ears open and your eyes closed.
Apr 8, 2020 6:58 AM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
FMmatron said:
Do dopamine fasting for two weeks, after that watching anime will be as amazing as ever.

Your post made me burst out laughing with that signature picture. Best post I saw today so far.
Apr 8, 2020 7:03 AM

May 2011
This is the secret.

If you eat ice cream every day, 6 times a day and can't figure out why you don't want to eat more ice cream, it's probably a good idea to stop eating ice cream and to listen to what your body is telling you that you actually need.

It's the same way with this medium. I found that when I earned anime, I fell in love with it even more. When I stayed focused, when I was productive and making progress in my life, then in the middle of the day I'd take a break to watch a couple episodes, I found that I enjoyed it so much more than just binging out on it. Done like this, it's such a beautiful addition to life that can truly bring you joy and a sense of community.

Done without control, off-balance or as an escape, you will always be wanting more, and then more will never quite be enough.

Apr 8, 2020 7:09 AM

Apr 2020
Dear OP... I know why... it's because we watched hunter x hunter, the best anime ever...

Okay on a more serious note, I don't really have a solution for you, maybe read books or random manga or play games? Honestly most anime now are ... not that good (to put it nicely)... compared to hxh.
Apr 8, 2020 7:23 AM

Nov 2016
xkazutox said:
FMmatron said:

Your post made me burst out laughing with that signature picture. Best post I saw today so far.

I was actually kinda serious, but glad to heart that you like my Rindou sig xD

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 8, 2020 8:06 AM

Jul 2019
Konatose said:

First find the motivation to watch anime. Of course if you watch a lot of anime you might get a burn out. Just take a break and then continue. In the mean time while in lockdown just play games. You'll get your motivation back eventually.
Apr 8, 2020 1:26 PM

Oct 2008
My friend let me say this to you. Its either that you've burned out you need to be a lot more selective about what you choose to watch.
I hope that you can get back on the horse.
Apr 8, 2020 1:35 PM

Sep 2018
Konatose said:

I think that if you are getting burned out on anime, maybe you should take a short break and then pace yourself, find other hobbies to pursue between watching anime. This is something had to do a while back when I got burned out from binge watching for my OVA project. My point is basically, if you aren't having fun anymore slow down.
Apr 8, 2020 2:15 PM

Apr 2019
Maybe you should drop more shows, OP.
Or watch less at the same time.
Nov 12, 2022 7:27 PM
Nov 2022
even I am facing the same problem cant watch any anime or even read the manga. fck man
Nov 12, 2022 11:21 PM

Apr 2018
I am going through the same phase atm, I ain't watching anything except chainsawman and did not feel like watching the latest episode yet, I did not watch anything in the last few months and still can't seem to watch any anime.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » how many of your favorite characters are evil?

deg - May 12

26 by ShatteredSans »»
29 seconds ago

» Animes with the best thumbnails?

Animeinsight101 - 2 hours ago

19 by Jonas-K »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you update your list with the exact day?

Pokitaru - 1 hour ago

19 by Maou_heika »»
6 minutes ago

» Who is the most overrated villain in anime?

The-Wombat - Yesterday

28 by ShatteredSans »»
6 minutes ago

» Does our opinions of characters reflect how we treat other people?

Zamus_Edits - May 13

18 by traed »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.