Forum Settings
Forums

Why is it so hard for me to watch anime now?

New
Apr 2, 2020 9:37 PM

Feb 2016
I used to be able to watch an anime series a day and could never get bored of watching anime. Now I cannot seem to watch or have the attention span to watch any anime, like I'm finding it very difficult to be the god I once was.

Anyone know how or what can I do to not get bored of watching? Any tips to be able to binge series since I have nothing to do as my country is on lockdown
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 2, 2020 9:42 PM

Sep 2017
I have this problem too.... I find it hard to just pick my episodes back up when I really do want to watch them but just have no motivation to do so. I haven't done it yet, but when this happens to me, I usually rewatch a favorite of mine because by doing so, it allows me to be in an anime spree mood, which allows me to just keep binging shows until it dies down
Apr 2, 2020 10:30 PM

Feb 2018
Well, you could try watching shows that are actually interesting.

A thing I noticed with a lot of fans here on MAL is that they feel like they have to watch every big anime, but no, you don't have to.If you want to, go for it, but it's just impossible to enjoy each big bug in the box.

First you should figure out what kind of shows don't get you to be bored.

After that, stop focusing on scores and ratings of shows, just because others didn't like one anime doesn't mean you won't.As an example, I loved Magical Girl Site and that show had a score of 6.50, plus many people tots didn't like it, even my friends.

Once you find one show you enjoy, look for recommendations. Example, I totally loved Say I love you,found kimi no todoke or ao haru ride in the recommendations, also loved those to bits.

Next, look out for bad apples.Another example, I basically said previously that I loved highschool romance drama. After looking for more, I found Peach girl and thought it might be just as good, and it was recommended to me in combination to kaichou wa maid sama/nana/bokura ga ita, and i liked all 3, so I thought I'd also like peach girl.But I ended up hating it soooooo much.

In combination with the last statement, don't feel the need to watch a show to the end in spite of completing it. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH DROPPING/QUITTING SHOWS YOU DON'T ENJOY. I wish I started following that rule much earlier, it would've saved me time, energy and will with many shows.

Hope I helped!

Apr 2, 2020 10:40 PM

Mar 2018
i went through a fase like that too. i felt the need to complete a lot of shows even tho i couldn't find anime interesting anymore. what helped me was starting reading manga and stop watching anime for a while, u don't need the same amount of attention span as watching anime and, for me, it was even more interesting. if u don't like reading manga as i suggested i think it's best to just stop for a while, then come back. u don't need to force urself to watch.
Apr 2, 2020 10:45 PM
Dec 2018
This is something I struggle with. One summer about two years ago I remember binge watching a lot of series. Anime was really amazing. When my sophomore year of highschool started I did watch anime somewhat but not as often as I did during the summer. After my sophomore year I got a job at the zoo doing retail which I was previously only volunteering at. I want to keep close ties at the zoo due to how it’s where I want to go after college. I would work there 5 days a week and volunteer one. It was my routine and at that point anime was not in as high regards, although I do remember looking forward to the next season of My hero Academia on some days.

Now I’m in my juinor year of highschool. I’m stressing with how to move forward and have big plans for summer courses and continuing to work and volunteer at the zoo. If by some miracle COVID-19 does not ruin my plans then at least I would be working five days a week, volunteer one, and attending class 2 evenings a week. If I get lucky I would be taking an online photography class too.

Truth be told, I’m growing up. I’m not that 15 year girl anymore. I have dreams and aspirations. Life becoming more stressful and busy. Even with COVID-19 going on, I’m worried about completing duel credit classes at this time. I’m not on the regular with watching anime. I can’t binge watch anymore, or do I really have the desire to. I will always love anime, but in the end I also need to work hard for my dreams. And my dreams are taking priority in my life right now. And I’m coming to peace with the fact that I probably won’t ever be as into anime as I was during the summer before my sophomore year. And that’s okay
Apr 2, 2020 10:45 PM
Jul 2018
I can't help you OP, I'm the same way.
Apr 2, 2020 10:48 PM

Apr 2010
Take a break dude. Watching an ENTIRE series in a day often will make anyone bored of Anime..
Apr 2, 2020 10:50 PM

Jul 2015
I've actually been on the same boat as you for quite a while now. I binge watched so many series throughout the first few years of when I got into anime. Nowadays, I have such a hard time finding a good series to watch because my attention span is so short. I'll be watching an anime for a minute, switch tabs, then continue the anime, and repeat. It's kinda hard, as for me, I'm still trying to "fully" get back into it myself, but when I rewatched one of my favorite series, I binged it like crazy without any problems.

Since you've been an anime fan for 4 years or so, maybe nowadays your interests/tastes have changed? Looking through my list, I'm wondering how on earth did I manage to complete some of these series, because I'm sure that if I watched that same show today, I wouldn't be able to complete it LOL. So maybe now, there's some particular that you're looking for in what you're watching that you aren't really finding? Idk these are just suggestions haha. But if worse comes to worse, honestly, don't force yourself. Watch what you like, otherwise it just becomes a chore, and that's not what you want with an entertainment medium.

caught in the wonder
Apr 2, 2020 10:52 PM

Jan 2017
you're probably burnt out. Try a different medium for a while , like gaming or sports.
That's what I do
"In this world, wherever there is light – there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exists, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars, and hatred is born to protect love."
-Madara Uchiha

Apr 2, 2020 10:56 PM
Sep 2016
AlexThePotato said:
This is something I struggle with. One summer about two years ago I remember binge watching a lot of series. Anime was really amazing. When my sophomore year of highschool started I did watch anime somewhat but not as often as I did during the summer. After my sophomore year I got a job at the zoo doing retail which I was previously only volunteering at. I want to keep close ties at the zoo due to how it’s where I want to go after college. I would work there 5 days a week and volunteer one. It was my routine and at that point anime was not in as high regards, although I do remember looking forward to the next season of My hero Academia on some days.

Now I’m in my juinor year of highschool. I’m stressing with how to move forward and have big plans for summer courses and continuing to work and volunteer at the zoo. If by some miracle COVID-19 does not ruin my plans then at least I would be working five days a week, volunteer one, and attending class 2 evenings a week. If I get lucky I would be taking an online photography class too.

Truth be told, I’m growing up. I’m not that 15 year girl anymore. I have dreams and aspirations. Life becoming more stressful and busy. Even with COVID-19 going on, I’m worried about completing duel credit classes at this time. I’m not on the regular with watching anime. I can’t binge watch anymore, or do I really have the desire to. I will always love anime, but in the end I also need to work hard for my dreams. And my dreams are taking priority in my life right now. And I’m coming to peace with the fact that I probably won’t ever be as into anime as I was during the summer before my sophomore year. And that’s okay
AlexThePotato said:

I agree with you. Anime like other forms of entertainment is just one aspect of life. There are other things that are equally or more important than watching anime, and achieving those things is the purpose of life. Watching anime should be done only in the free time. Life is tough, there are goals and accomplishments, and we need to put our efforts into that. You can watch anime anytime in your life but there are things that are time bound and need to be done accordingly. All the best to you.
Apr 2, 2020 10:58 PM

Oct 2018
hm? the more you grow, the less time you spend on your hobbies. right? I mean we work, college, married, children...
Apr 2, 2020 11:37 PM

Feb 2016
allypsa said:
i went through a fase like that too. i felt the need to complete a lot of shows even tho i couldn't find anime interesting anymore. what helped me was starting reading manga and stop watching anime for a while, u don't need the same amount of attention span as watching anime and, for me, it was even more interesting. if u don't like reading manga as i suggested i think it's best to just stop for a while, then come back. u don't need to force urself to watch.

i did take a break legit i stop in october and just came back, even if it's shows i like it's still the same

Rero33 said:

;(

Lil_hentai said:
People make this thread every week and act as if anime just disappeared from existence, you are just burned out i dont get why this concept is so alien to people.

im not even burnt out, i just back from like a 3 month break of no anime

Zeroflamez said:
Take a break dude. Watching an ENTIRE series in a day often will make anyone bored of Anime..

see above
Stoorainclaire said:
hm? the more you grow, the less time you spend on your hobbies. right? I mean we work, college, married, children...

i dont have any other hobbies i like except writing, i got fired from work and cant work as corona, i also finished college. and chill bruv im only 21 i don wanna be married or have children until im 30
Apr 2, 2020 11:38 PM

Dec 2019
Maybe take a break for a while? Watching too much can bore ppl i guess. Personally for me after i finish a series i go on a break, come back and set goals on how many episodes I wanna watch in a day
Apr 2, 2020 11:42 PM

Apr 2010
Konatose said:
allypsa said:

i did take a break legit i stop in october and just came back, even if it's shows i like it's still the same

Rero33 said:

;(

Lil_hentai said:
People make this thread every week and act as if anime just disappeared from existence, you are just burned out i dont get why this concept is so alien to people.

Zeroflamez said:

see above
Stoorainclaire said:

i dont have any other hobbies i like except writing, i got fired from work and cant work as corona, i also finished college. and chill bruv im only 21 i don wanna be married or have children until im 30

I don't know what you expect everyone in here to tell you dude.. You've taken a break, you can't get back into again.. Only suggestion is watch a genre you don't normally watch or rewatch an old favorite. I don't know man. Maybe try manga out? It takes less time..and you don't need to pay as much attention..
Apr 2, 2020 11:44 PM
Jul 2018
It didn't happen to me so far, but I jump from anime to manga and back a lot and also get the occasional game to distract me for a few days or 50 <.<
Just do what you feel like doing, if that is not anime atm, don't force it.
Apr 2, 2020 11:55 PM

Feb 2016
FoxFire75 said:
It didn't happen to me so far, but I jump from anime to manga and back a lot and also get the occasional game to distract me for a few days or 50 <.<
Just do what you feel like doing, if that is not anime atm, don't force it.

i just wanna do how people can watch so much anime like people with over 140 days
Apr 3, 2020 12:16 AM

Dec 2014
This happens to me so often and right now I would love to binge watch a tonne of anime, as we are currently on lockdown in my country, but I just can't get into anything. I go through stages where I binge watch anime after anime and then I won't watch anything for a few weeks/months. I find myself just watching seasonal anime now.
Apr 3, 2020 12:20 AM

Aug 2019
The trick is to only watch one show at a time. Or, if you're feeling brave, watch one long series (>100 episodes) at the same time as multiple shorter series. How are you going to get invested if you're always switching between things?
Apr 3, 2020 1:32 AM

Jan 2010
Konatose said:
I used to be able to watch an anime series a day and could never get bored of watching anime. Now I cannot seem to watch or have the attention span to watch any anime, like I'm finding it very difficult to be the god I once was.

Anyone know how or what can I do to not get bored of watching? Any tips to be able to binge series since I have nothing to do as my country is on lockdown

Take a break from anime. Watch other things that isn't anime.

I went on hiatus for like 2 years. And came back to watch only like 5 anime a year.
Apr 3, 2020 1:39 AM

Mar 2015
Take a longer break, don't force yourself to watch anime or it'll just get worse. And if you really want to watch anime, try to look for that one anime that's gonna hook you in. Don't be afraid of dropping things if they start to get boring.
Apr 3, 2020 1:45 AM
Nov 2016
Yea I'm also in that phase. Also don't think it's about growing up or sth. I'm in my 30s now, 2 years ago was at late 20s. It didn't matter to me watching as I like at that point either. I'm just doing other things and trying to keep myself busy at the time, like learning new things. Also will have so much more anime to watch when this phase is over. So thinking positive about this cause there's nothing I can do.
Apr 3, 2020 1:48 AM
Jul 2018
Only watch stuff you like, ask for recommendations, so that it will be more probable for you to find something interesting. Make a pause, do not watch it for awhile, and then return.
Apr 3, 2020 1:49 AM
Feb 2020
For a couple weeks I was just finishing a short 12-24 episode series every day or couple days. It gets to feel like work and can be super exhausting. It’s nothing to get yourself worked up over, just slow it down.

Read the synopsis on some shows and take it easy watch an episode or two a day until you feel the need to binge a bit. Life’s not a completion competition!
Apr 3, 2020 2:22 AM

May 2019
I don't know.Earlier I was also able to do the same and never got bored of anime but after going into college everything.Being busy with classes, spending time with friends I have only 2 hr free time but still I am able to watch casually and now it has become difficult to get into a series than earlier
Apr 3, 2020 2:44 AM

Jan 2020
You probably have watched all of the "good" anime out there, so now it's harder for you to find something as good.
My youtube channel about music and anime :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_rrNoYApg1VQ-PIT7jZ37Q
Apr 3, 2020 4:01 AM

Feb 2019
You are probably just burned out. It happens to me as well.
Apr 3, 2020 4:08 AM

Apr 2015
There is little harm in indulging in other hobbies.
Apr 3, 2020 4:12 AM

Dec 2018
Binging anime form genres you haven’t tried in a while is a good way. If that doesn’t solve your problem take a break, it’s not bad to take a break and you can come back and actually enjoy anime.
Apr 3, 2020 4:54 AM

Sep 2015
Konatose said:
allypsa said:

Rero33 said:

;(

Lil_hentai said:

Zeroflamez said:

see above
Stoorainclaire said:

Take a longer break. If you burnt out you won't go back to normal in an arbitrary time. You'll recover when you'll recover. You'll notice when it happens.
Apr 3, 2020 7:12 AM

May 2009
Konatose said:

I think it's important to not burn yourself out on one hobby by overdoing it.

I personally find myself preferring to watch only one or a few episodes a day, and spend the day doing something else. Maybe doing various tasks around the house or household, playing or writing music, maybe chatting, maybe playing video games, maybe even gardening.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Apr 3, 2020 8:29 AM

Jul 2013
Asking for methods to stay glued to anime is harder than you think and the answer to your original question is that you're growing up. Blame the writers for mindlessly pandering to a specific audience with a subjective genre such as comedy, those fancypants Japanese don't know what entertainment is best for your time and money.
Kurt_IrvingApr 3, 2020 8:34 AM
Apr 3, 2020 9:36 AM
Dec 2018
TheRatedRab said:
AlexThePotato said:

AlexThePotato said:

I agree with you. Anime like other forms of entertainment is just one aspect of life. There are other things that are equally or more important than watching anime, and achieving those things is the purpose of life. Watching anime should be done only in the free time. Life is tough, there are goals and accomplishments, and we need to put our efforts into that. You can watch anime anytime in your life but there are things that are time bound and need to be done accordingly. All the best to you.

Thank you. Sometimes I feel bad that I can’t follow anime every day. But I’m not inclined to either. Hell the only anime I’m finding myself watching regularly right now is My Hero Academia, but for the most part a week behind on VRV where I’ll watch it once I get all my other stuff done. 1-cour anime can take me months to complete. But life is more than just media consumption and it’s okay if I won’t watch everything I ever want in my lifetime
Apr 3, 2020 9:43 AM

May 2011

A thing I noticed with a lot of fans here on MAL is that they feel like they have to watch every big anime, but no, you don't have to.If you want to, go for it, but it's just impossible to enjoy each big bug in the box.

B-But, what about the hype? One must have faith! Everything is the bestest masterpiece ever, and when the bestest masterpiece ever ends, another ones replace it right away!@*!

Hah, yeah. If you wanna last as a consumer of the media as much as I, you better follow this piece of advice, and try to vary item watching a bit (in terms of year of production, genre etc), otherwise everything will seem so monotonous to you that you will fall out of love with the medium, eventually. Saw many going this way.
Apr 3, 2020 9:44 AM
Jul 2018
It's not you, it's the anime you're watching
Apr 3, 2020 9:45 AM

Oct 2017
Same problem dude...it's been happening to me a lot lately.
Halfway through the episode, I question myself "when will this episode end..."

Apr 3, 2020 9:50 AM

Jun 2015
Sometimes a break is all you need.
What I do is always pursue 2 of the 3 (anime, manga, games) at a time. If I don't feel like watching anime, I'll shift my focus towards manga & games for a few months. Then if I get bored of playing games after a while, I'll go for the manga/anime combo. And so I alternate between the 3 like that. Try that method out, maybe it'll work for you as well :D
Apr 3, 2020 9:52 AM

Jun 2011
Like some of the people say, this is a sign for you to take a break from it for some time. I have same issue, I've been watching movies instead of anime for like 3-4 weeks. And it's totally fine.
Apr 3, 2020 9:54 AM

Apr 2020
Just take a break, watch something else. I've had that issue multiple times; usually I'd leave for a year or two then come back and it isn't so bad anymore. Regular cartoons, live-action, all good alternatives for entertainment.
Keep it simple, stupid.
Apr 3, 2020 8:57 PM

Jan 2019
Zeroflamez said:

There is also something to be said for giving your brain time to acclimate and grow with the characters. By spacing the show out over the course of several days or weeks, one can get a sense of it being a persistent world. Your brain essentially tricks itself into socially bonding with the characters, as bad as that sounds.

I definitely notice this myself with shows that are intended to be emotionally intensive. If you plow right through them, it can be difficult to care about what happens in the story.
Apr 3, 2020 9:12 PM

Apr 2010
Guru_guru_guru said:
Zeroflamez said:

There is also something to be said for giving your brain time to acclimate and grow with the characters. By spacing the show out over the course of several days or weeks, one can get a sense of it being a persistent world. Your brain essentially tricks itself into socially bonding with the characters, as bad as that sounds.

I definitely notice this myself with shows that are intended to be emotionally intensive. If you plow right through them, it can be difficult to care about what happens in the story.

I feel this is more for long running weekly's shows. If I space a finished Anime out too much I feel disconnected. That's just me though.
Apr 3, 2020 9:25 PM

Oct 2013
How bout not binging entire series in one setting...Spread that shit out. Watch a few episodes of one show, then switch to another. Of course you're going to get bored and go through burnout if you focus entirely on binging a single series and repeating that on a daily basis...
Apr 3, 2020 9:37 PM
Jul 2018
Probably because watching anime was the fun part of the day before the lockdown.. and now it's just an another thing to kill time.. but that's just a theory lol..

You can try to take a break for 2 days and distract yourself from anime.. and see what happens.. usually you'll miss it in no time since you watch a lot of anime lol.. i usually try to do this too when i lose motivation
Apr 4, 2020 9:01 AM
Jul 2019
That happened to me once, twice right now.

I took a break during Summer 2019 then returned this January. Now I'm stuck in the middle of the Chimera Ant arc of Hunter x Hunter and I don't feel like watching.

Try doing something else man. During that break I just keep reading novels, manga and playing games. Right now, that's what I'm doing. Reading and going to forums like what I'm doing here. You'll get back to it eventually.
Apr 4, 2020 11:03 AM

Apr 2019
The Life Cycle of an anime fan.

Apr 4, 2020 11:05 AM

Jul 2012
hey OP i understand ur pain

i go on anime breaks too a lot. i usually find a non-anime thing to watch whether it be english shows or movies. i went into a manga phase too and eventually, i just come back to anime. it's natural.
Apr 4, 2020 12:35 PM

Jun 2012
CrimsonMidnight said:
Konatose said:

Take a break from anime. Watch other things that isn't anime.

I went on hiatus for like 2 years. And came back to watch only like 5 anime a year.

Mayuka said:
hey OP i understand ur pain

i go on anime breaks too a lot. i usually find a non-anime thing to watch whether it be english shows or movies. i went into a manga phase too and eventually, i just come back to anime. it's natural.

This. A lot of anime fans think that after getting into anime, suddenly everything non-anime sucks and they shouldn't watch it. But that's a really narrow view and it's not surprising whent they get burned out on anime.
Shoot first, think never.
Apr 4, 2020 12:57 PM
Jun 2019
Konatose said:

Over 300 days. This is habituation, quite simply a brain's response to processing things the same, again and again.

You need to build the connections that have largely been depleted (again). This will allow you to binge. You also then need to learn to process more detailed differences so this doesn't happen again.

Two solutions that come to my mind are
1. Watch an anime that completely overwhelms you and kicks you back into action.
2. Watch anime before you sleep to reinforce on this.

Try 2 with something like an episode before you sleep for a week. If it's just before you sleep that should get rid of your problems entirely.

Apr 4, 2020 1:00 PM
May 2019
Maybe it's time to tie up with cartoons?
Apr 4, 2020 1:05 PM

Nov 2017
Usually if this happens to me its when I'm having a depression episode or just really stressed about something. I obviously don't know you but due to these scary and uncertain times you could just be covertly stressed about something. My best advice is just to not watch anime for a few weeks, try to get invested in something else like video games, reading, etc. When you come back you might feel really refreshed and more invested in anime again.
Apr 4, 2020 1:08 PM

Dec 2017
Treuherzig said:

First you should figure out what kind of shows don't get you to be bored.

After that, stop focusing on scores and ratings of shows, just because others didn't like one anime doesn't mean you won't.As an example, I loved Magical Girl Site and that show had a score of 6.50, plus many people tots didn't like it, even my friends.

Once you find one show you enjoy, look for recommendations. Example, I totally loved Say I love you,found kimi no todoke or ao haru ride in the recommendations, also loved those to bits.

Next, look out for bad apples.Another example, I basically said previously that I loved highschool romance drama. After looking for more, I found Peach girl and thought it might be just as good, and it was recommended to me in combination to kaichou wa maid sama/nana/bokura ga ita, and i liked all 3, so I thought I'd also like peach girl.But I ended up hating it soooooo much.

In combination with the last statement, don't feel the need to watch a show to the end in spite of completing it. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH DROPPING/QUITTING SHOWS YOU DON'T ENJOY. I wish I started following that rule much earlier, it would've saved me time, energy and will with many shows.

Hope I helped!

I am not OP but thank you very much for this comment, kinda motivated me to stop giving fucks about what other think. <3
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you tend to watch newer seasonal shows, or older shows?

Akuya - 7 hours ago

26 by alshu »»
1 minute ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

93 by Ratris_Decision »»
19 minutes ago

» Do you find how the anime community finds something to be edgy annoying?

vasipi4946 - 6 hours ago

12 by Ratris_Decision »»
25 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

972 by Animekiralover »»
29 minutes ago

» Why were children’s anime dubs so unappreciated?

funtime43_tr - Yesterday

24 by QPR »»
56 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.