Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 21, 2020 7:45 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well it's a good to see Ritsuksa and the others doing well after the big fights from the previous episode. That hug with Quetzalcoatl though...she's really grown fond of him.

Pretty calm episode as I had expected. Pretty much the end of their journey for this anime story as the others reevaluate events of the present. And I'm sure Ritsuka learned a lot from all these experience. Gilgamesh celebrating with his allies is awesome.
Stark700Mar 21, 2020 10:23 AM
Mar 21, 2020 7:46 AM

Aug 2017
I do not have many complaints regarding this adaptation of Fate, I must say that it was not the best of the best but it was entertaining and had important messages in some episodes. What could have been better was the pacing in some episodes of the first half that I felt a little misplaced.

Ritsuka turned out to be a somewhat generic character with no personality when I watched First Order but I can say that they tried to give him personality in the anime. I'm not convinced that "let's sacrifice ourselves to advance the plot" but heh, at least it accomplished several of his goals without failing horribly like Apocrypha.

7/10 for the anime.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 21, 2020 7:57 AM

Dec 2017
tfw no quetzalcoatl hug

last episode feels just like an epilogue, kind of a sour happy ending with gil deliviring a big speech at the end

as for someone who hasn't played the game, the plot is all over the fucking place, at least the characters were pretty enjoyable. watching it for above average to good action scenes and waifu content was enough

solomon singularity next?
Mar 21, 2020 8:09 AM

Apr 2016
So it finally ended huh .. well time to break the euphorium, because babylonia TV anime is a great example of when form wins over content. On one side we have most of the time high quality animation, beautiful character designs, amazing ost .. but on the other hand the void when comes to its story, or characters .. most of the characters rely on characterizations from their different Fate/self. Like Ishtar , just reskined Rin from fsn, Gil ? just gil from fsn again just less edge and mongreling around. Eresh ? Just reskined Ishtar of reskined Rin. Quetzs, Leonidas, Ushiwakamaru or Sidur- .. literally THE who ? "Enkidu" ? Dude majority of the story he dont know who he wants to be (just like Nasu when he wrote this chapter). Jaguar man ? again .. fsn saving the day. Mash ? If you think she actually got a character development in those previous singularities, she dont. Shes "ganbatte" this "ganbarimasu" that girl that is here to cheer the mc everytime he is written to not know what to do. Camelot was where her character reached its peak, here she is again just another supporting girl in mc-kun harem.

Yes the MC .. dont you even think about it, an empty box since day one. You cant build a serious story when the main character literaly does not exist. It took them 5 singularities and a prologue to come up with a story that is somehow at least worth the adaptation, that speaks for it self. The attempts from the anime staff to inject an actual personality are worth a mention but in the end its not enough. This show is being heavily carried by your previous knowledge of fate instalments, so in the end this show cant stand on its own. You gonna gatekeep that this was made for die-hard fans ? Yes it was .. so fans now accept mediocre plot packed in a high quality animation package ? With some jpeg waifus brought to life as a bonus ? Story arcs that are being written for events and for meeting the release deadlines ? Give me a break.

Now, i dont blame the anime team for this .. the team just did their best with what was given to them. The problem was brought with the source material. Before whales gonna eat me alive i enjoyed this anime, but only its form. Before they gonna tell me "bUt yOU nEEd tO REaD tHe prEViouS sInGUlarITieS tO trUly uNDerStaND" i did, they bad. The plot structure and character writting in them is as thin as a paper, almost as bad as the rest of the game itself. Camelot and Babylonia are the only ones "worth" an adaptation (even fgo fans knew that, that's why they voted for those two the most lol), but even that adaptation is only like a tech demo, where you just flex how good all looks and moves, but that's it. It's like remaking a white board .. you can put a new paint on it but its still just a blank white board ... with holes.

Now little off topic, if you finished this show and you're like "Uuu, this was great i cant wait to see whats next for fgo in terms of anime" well, guess what .. this was the peak of fgo, everything after this point is a soup of uninteresting story arcs and in general lack of ideas or direction. Well, that is if you're not a fan of gundams or constant reuse of already known characters ofc, if you are, then you gonna have a time of your life.

6/10. It would actually be 4/10 but i like Rin so. If this is the standard for fate in terms of TV then God help us all. Third HF movie can't come soon enough so i can bleach my eyes with it. Again, i'm not disappointed with this show, i simply knew exactly what it will be even before it was out. Just visually stunning parade full of community popular characters to boost sales of a mobage, nothing to call home about and definitely not worth the fandom overhype.

uninstallthegame said:
watching it for above average to good action scenes and waifu content was enough

This man gets it.
SwagernatorMar 21, 2020 8:12 AM
Mar 21, 2020 8:28 AM

Jul 2017
Oof if this was the supposedly best story in FGO then I’m scared to see how the others were

Apart from that though visually this show was amazing, fights were for the most part good even if they were mostly just bang bang explosion explosion loud noises. Characters were pretty much a mixed bag, massively surprised Ritsuka didn’t fall over and grope someone’s boob and get bitch smacked, Mash was about as useful as an empty toilet paper roll, Gilgamesh, Quet. and Marline I liked and Rin Ishtar/Eresh were just waifu bait.

Overall though, not the worst fate adaptation amongst the plethora of them

Rin clone #420/10
Mar 21, 2020 9:03 AM
Mar 2020
One of the big flaw of visual novel anime is: they are so heavily narrated base on the main character view. Almost all scenes in Babylonia have Gudao in there even though he serve no purpose in the that scene. First why they just keep talking to Gudao. Let other characters talk to each other without Gudao. Let them share a conversation that only servants or people have been through alot share with each other. Since Fate verse have large amount of characters with deep lore they should expand their stories. For example, a moment between Merlin and Romany about grand caster or their perspective about each other that just them along. Secondly why servants keep fallen for this Gudao guys beside the only reason I can think of he is a main fck characters which is a very weak reason. Servants heavily favor Gudao just because he exist is so stupid Second why the anime have to bring Gudao everywhere. He is a master, he should be in a safe place instead of heading to battle. Why Mash and other companion can't solve their problem without Gudao and always act like they have no brain. I have no problem read Babylonia in FGO but in the anime adapt including Gudao scenes need to be greatly reduce. I honest dont want to see the moment between Bedi and Arthoria meet at the end after all these years but Gudao and Mash standing in the background acting surprise "I have enough of their moments acting surprise in babylonia"
Mar 21, 2020 9:12 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Great visual and especially god like sound but for the story it wasn't really captivating tbh, at the least the characters were good
Mar 21, 2020 9:20 AM

May 2012
Not bad but overrated. I liked Fate/Apocrypha more than this

Mar 21, 2020 9:35 AM

Feb 2019
LET’s FUCKING GOOOO SOLOMON ANIME COMFIRMED. FGO SZN. Avengers assemble type moment incoming

Man what a journey it’s been. I can’t believe it’s been over 5 months since this started. Hats off to cloverworks for an absolutely masterful job of bringing this story to life and creating a great experience for newcomers and gacha heads alike.

It’s always a pretty tough task to give life to talking heads on a screen, but Babylonia pilled it off better than anyone I’ve personally ever seen.

Technically, Babylonia featured fight animation that rival those in UFO’s “unlimited budget works” and absolutely stunning art, a great OST and excellent character designs. The slice of life moments that really make the Fate series special were also extremely well done

If there weren’t concerns about the watch order of the Fate series and about whether or not you could understand the show without having played the game, it would have been much more popular in the west. Obviously did extremely well in JP.

Overall, Babylonia was some of the most fun I’ve had in a very long time and is definitely one of the best Fate anime. It gets 10 grails out of 10 for me

Edit: Prover hits different.
Mar 21, 2020 9:40 AM

Jan 2013
https://twitter.com/FGOAP_ep7/status/1241378380647247873?s=19

They announced that Solomon singularity! Maybe we will get the Lostbelts in the future too (which imo, I believe are much better written by a longshot).

Overall, i really enjoyed Babylonia. Been a minute since i was excited for an episode every week. Was it perfect? No. But it had just that right amount of Fate series I needed. I'm a huge fan of the game so I had a few disappointments with how they did a few things but I still loved this adaptation. 8/10
Mar 21, 2020 9:45 AM
Feb 2015
It was a functionally sound ending, but I was honestly slightly underwhelmed. After the pacing issues of the last 2 episodes where they manically compressed key scenes, they then went and dragged out the epilogue way longer than was necessary. Still, despite it's fumbles this was an overall enjoyable adaptation who's hits generally outweigh the misses.

So... I'm guessing that Fujimaru never encounters Merlin or King Hassan in the Camelot anime continuity?
Ozraptor4Mar 21, 2020 9:51 AM
Mar 21, 2020 9:47 AM
Oct 2019
thepath said:

Fandom was just happy it did not end up purely as a generic wish fulfillment story like Apocrypha so it isn't exactly overrated. That anime is disliked by the fandom and the source is considered the worst in terms of quality.
This anime was made with the FGO fandom who appreciate the game plot in mind first and foremost and adapts the game pretty well. And read the Apocrypha light novel if you haven't already to see how A-1 butchered it. Let's just say they made horrible changes/removal for pleasing weebs or playing safe for political correctness (removing stuff related to Abortion in Jack's backstory).
Mar 21, 2020 9:49 AM
Oct 2019
Deathordead said:
One of the big flaw of visual novel anime is: they are so heavily narrated base on the main character view. Almost all scenes in Babylonia have Gudao in there even though he serve no purpose in the that scene. First why they just keep talking to Gudao. Let other characters talk to each other without Gudao. Let them share a conversation that only servants or people have been through alot share with each other. Since Fate verse have large amount of characters with deep lore they should expand their stories. For example, a moment between Merlin and Romany about grand caster or their perspective about each other that just them along. Secondly why servants keep fallen for this Gudao guys beside the only reason I can think of he is a main fck characters which is a very weak reason. Servants heavily favor Gudao just because he exist is so stupid Second why the anime have to bring Gudao everywhere. He is a master, he should be in a safe place instead of heading to battle. Why Mash and other companion can't solve their problem without Gudao and always act like they have no brain. I have no problem read Babylonia in FGO but in the anime adapt including Gudao scenes need to be greatly reduce. I honest dont want to see the moment between Bedi and Arthoria meet at the end after all these years but Gudao and Mash standing in the background acting surprise "I have enough of their moments acting surprise in babylonia"
Even in the game, I have issues with how Fujimaru is handled as a character compared to previous protagonists like Shirou in the VN or Hakuno in Extra games. He has few moments of internal monologues and the plot uses him mostly as a tool. He's better handled than Sieg but considering how crap that character is in execution, this isn't much of a good thing.
Mar 21, 2020 9:51 AM

Apr 2014
Despite all the problems that was in this series. I think it still did a nice job with adapting the singularity. Sure there should've been a lot of important dialogue or scenes that should be incorporated in the anime, but I still think it did a nice job. So overall I think it earned a 6/10 for me at least. Anyways the journey is not over though. The way how it ended, the final journey is coming for the Masters of Chaldea!
Mar 21, 2020 9:55 AM

Dec 2014
Great finale and personally I loved this.

Gil's speech at the end was awesome, he always knows how to do a fine speech and I like how he encouraged Fujimaru at the end.
"Humans can infinitely flourish,
That doesn't change one second before your life is over,
Until the end, the state of one's heart is cumulative, Human history is something similar"
"Live together and fight together"

Overall, I loved this show. I won't disagree that a large part of my enjoyment of this series is a product of previous knowledge of fate/ installments, familiarity with many characters and in this specific case, familiarity with FGO. While I never actually did read the FGO stories, I tried Singularity 1 when I started playing but eventually stopped caring for the story early into Singularity 2 and skipped since then (Ironic because JAlter is my favorite). Henceforth my understanding of the story is loosely based on the gameplay and what fights were happening and the occasional lore post I would read. I was still able to enjoy this a whole lot and make sense of the plot, of course the waifu bait is strong which was a major factor too but the action is flashy, the visuals are beautiful and soundtrack was great too so yeah, I think it's fine to enjoy this show for what it is, no matter your reason, it's very entertaining and I think Cloverworks did an incredible job with this.

Most people complain about the story but I thought there was a surprising amount of heart in the story. While it ends in the destruction of Uruk, it's hopeful and throughout it's run it presents the strength of humanity and civilization to persist and evolve through the ages which also is a testament to where we are today as a civilization.

I also think they did way better with handling Ritsuka as a character in the show, he doesn't ruin the flow of the story much like a certain different MC in Fate/Apocrypha.

9/10, are we getting Solomon too? I kinda want a Shinjuku adaptation just so I can see JAlter. XD
Looking forward to Camelot next.
Mar 21, 2020 9:58 AM
Oct 2019
Swagernator said:
So it finally ended huh .. well time to break the euphorium, because babylonia TV anime is a great example of when form wins over content. On one side we have most of the time high quality animation, beautiful character designs, amazing ost .. but on the other hand the void when comes to its story, or characters .. most of the characters rely on characterizations from their different Fate/self. Like Ishtar , just reskined Rin from fsn, Gil ? just gil from fsn again just less edge and mongreling around. Eresh ? Just reskined Ishtar of reskined Rin. Quetzs, Leonidas, Ushiwakamaru or Sidur- .. literally THE who ? "Enkidu" ? Dude majority of the story he dont know who he wants to be (just like Nasu when he wrote this chapter). Jaguar man ? again .. fsn saving the day. Mash ? If you think she actually got a character development in those previous singularities, she dont. Shes "ganbatte" this "ganbarimasu" that girl that is here to cheer the mc everytime he is written to not know what to do. Camelot was where her character reached its peak, here she is again just another supporting girl in mc-kun harem.

Yes the MC .. dont you even think about it, an empty box since day one. You cant build a serious story when the main character literaly does not exist. It took them 5 singularities and a prologue to come up with a story that is somehow at least worth the adaptation, that speaks for it self. The attempts from the anime staff to inject an actual personality are worth a mention but in the end its not enough. This show is being heavily carried by your previous knowledge of fate instalments, so in the end this show cant stand on its own. You gonna gatekeep that this was made for die-hard fans ? Yes it was .. so fans now accept mediocre plot packed in a high quality animation package ? With some jpeg waifus brought to life as a bonus ? Story arcs that are being written for events and for meeting the release deadlines ? Give me a break.

Now, i dont blame the anime team for this .. the team just did their best with what was given to them. The problem was brought with the source material. Before whales gonna eat me alive i enjoyed this anime, but only its form. Before they gonna tell me "bUt yOU nEEd tO REaD tHe prEViouS sInGUlarITieS tO trUly uNDerStaND" i did, they bad. The plot structure and character writting in them is as thin as a paper, almost as bad as the rest of the game itself. Camelot and Babylonia are the only ones "worth" an adaptation (even fgo fans knew that, that's why they voted for those two the most lol), but even that adaptation is only like a tech demo, where you just flex how good all looks and moves, but that's it. It's like remaking a white board .. you can put a new paint on it but its still just a blank white board ... with holes.

Now little off topic, if you finished this show and you're like "Uuu, this was great i cant wait to see whats next for fgo in terms of anime" well, guess what .. this was the peak of fgo, everything after this point is a soup of uninteresting story arcs and in general lack of ideas or direction. Well, that is if you're not a fan of gundams or constant reuse of already known characters ofc, if you are, then you gonna have a time of your life.

6/10. It would actually be 4/10 but i like Rin so. If this is the standard for fate in terms of TV then God help us all. Third HF movie can't come soon enough so i can bleach my eyes with it. Again, i'm not disappointed with this show, i simply knew exactly what it will be even before it was out. Just visually stunning parade full of community popular characters to boost sales of a mobage, nothing to call home about and definitely not worth the fandom overhype.
At least it did not utterly disappoint like Fate/Apocrypha which was SAO marketing formula applied on Fate. But this anime did make me appreciate Cloverworks and see them in a new light after I got a bit disappointed with their adaptation of The Promised Neverland. The studio deserves praise for making the most out of what they had (A messy source that was quite difficult to adapt).
Mar 21, 2020 10:05 AM

Mar 2015
So it ends, cool farewell episode, a bit touching not gonna lie. Still, the same problems I had over the whole season(which I'm not gonna say again), as a game adaptation it does the job really well, not so much for everything outside of that.
That said, it was a really good ride, all things considered, the characters were good, and so was the animation.

I'm scoring it based on everything about Fate I have watched, which would put it in the 6/10 range.
Mar 21, 2020 10:07 AM
Oct 2019
Deathordead said:

I found some comment in community
Gudao(Ritsuka) is bad potential to be master(he has been choose to be master because he has potential to ray-shift)
He cant use magic (magic in anime is form his mystic code)
and he only can send mana in short range
that why he must stay around battle.
Mar 21, 2020 10:11 AM

Aug 2010
Swagernator said:
Babylonia: 6/10.
Last Encore: 6/10

Well, something is not right here.

I mean, I'm not really arguing against your view on Babylonia, even though I disagree with it, but I'm seriously wondering how you can reconcile the same rating for both of these shows.

Either one needs to go down, or one needs to go up, honestly.
Mar 21, 2020 10:13 AM

Apr 2013
Good final episode, most of the cast made their farewell with everyone, Merlin and Romani kept mocking each other too lol
Also Gilgamesh's and Enkidu's conversation was nice too
Surprised they didn't notice earlier what kind of Cup Gilgamesh was using for the Ale, guess they didn't expect Gilgamesh to just casually toss over the Holy Grail
DelusionalUzumeMar 21, 2020 10:18 AM
just because I’ve gotten weaker, doesn’t mean that you got stronger, does it?
Mar 21, 2020 10:14 AM

Oct 2017
A farewell episode, this was really touching. Loved to see everyone one last time. With this the journey comes to an end.

Kudos to cloverworks for doing a great job on making this, some of the animations were really top notch. Both "Prover" and "Tell me" were great eds.

Overall a great adaptation of singularity seven. Really glad that I got to see babylonia animated. Can't wait for Solomon and Camelot movies.
MegamiRemMar 27, 2020 4:39 AM
Mar 21, 2020 10:16 AM

Jan 2017
Great adaption, solid animation, amazing OST, Gudao was more than a simple background caracter, a well deserved 9/10 from me.

AND WE ARE GETTING SOLOMON SINGULARITY!
https://twitter.com/FGOAP_ep7/status/1241378380647247873

They better be spending a good chunk of those 4 billions $ that they earned with FGO. I want this to be the most sakuga anime ever with all the pillars fights adapted

Also with the Lostbelt 1 coming to NA in few weeks we might get even more adaptation of FGO main storyline!
Mar 21, 2020 10:21 AM

Dec 2015
A wonderful epilogue for an enjoyable adaptation. It has up and downs but still a solid series for FGO players. 7.5/10

They really did include the Solomon teaser at the end (I would lose my shit in hype if they didn't already announced it a few hours ago)
Mar 21, 2020 10:30 AM

Aug 2015
Babylonia is one of the greatest singularities of Fate, and the storyline of Uruk with Gilgamesh, Enkidu and everything else created a wonderful environment.
Mar 21, 2020 10:30 AM

May 2012
Rebelblade71 said:
thepath said:

Fandom was just happy it did not end up purely as a generic wish fulfillment story like Apocrypha so it isn't exactly overrated. That anime is disliked by the fandom and the source is considered the worst in terms of quality.
This anime was made with the FGO fandom who appreciate the game plot in mind first and foremost and adapts the game pretty well. And read the Apocrypha light novel if you haven't already to see how A-1 butchered it. Let's just say they made horrible changes/removal for pleasing weebs or playing safe for political correctness (removing stuff related to Abortion in Jack's backstory).

I don't care if it adapts the game or manga well. Why does that even matter for anime-only watcher anime like me ?? Also, Faithful adaptation does not automatically mean good anime if the source is not good.

I did enjoy the fights, characters and battle royal more in Apocrypha. I'm not saying that I did not like fate/grand, but it is just less enjoyable for me than Apocrypha. The fights specially were more entertaining and more impactful in Apocrypha
Mar 21, 2020 10:35 AM
Sep 2012
just keep giving me more fate anime and I will be happy with that ^_^

good job babylonia, every week for the past 6 months I've been really excited to see you xD
Mar 21, 2020 10:38 AM

Apr 2015
Alright so its finally time to summarize how I feel about this anime I guess

The strongest parts of Babylonia are definitely the constant character subplots and the ending, and in many ways, they pretty much succeeded in that on the vast majority of fronts. I'm glad to see such a great adaption in that sense. The final scene gave me the exact feeling that that I'm pretty sure the game wanted to give me:
being proud of history, and creating history while living. His acknowledgement of Fujimaru is wonderful and I think the best scene in there really.

That said I'm gonna list my issues with the anime now:
I can't help but agree in retrospect with the fear that the adaption was in many ways way too safe the vast majority of the run. They did some good things (making fujimaru bond with ushi comes to mind), but without all the different emotional subplots, the anime felt very flat in many respects, and struggled to stay fully engaging at times when the anime just simply due to the quaintness of it.
I think that review on sakurablog said it best when it praised the way the faces distorted and struggled and the mood and atmosphere were so harsh during episode 18...Exgeration, distortion, mood, atmosphere, the anime was unintentionally dull so much of the time. So bright it hurt at times.

Perhaps this is a weakness of the source material instead, but I distinctly remember them doing things like cutting out a _lot_ of gilgamesh's pouting and redirecting any explanations that came out of it elsewhere. I'd have to replay/rewatch to be sure, I suppose. I feel like they could've done a lot more to sell some other more basic scenes sometimes to keep it fresh.

It wasn't all bad really, they did do a lot good, but upon reflection thats just how I felt.

uh second thing-

the damn king hassan scene was just...butchered so much for me. I seriously keep thinking filling in time and ending episode 19 on a cliffhanger, and then removing the opening and some filler time to make room for merlin coming back there and trimming some of the fat of episode 20. Also his concept of death attack just looked lame??? Subjective I guess but eh.

That was the attack that actually _did_ something. I know it would've been hard to cut off later in the fight, but
I feel like I should've gotten my reward for summoning hassan immediately after, not broken up by an ED and OP and the stopping and starting of music. It was our reward after struggling for so long...it just doesn't sit right with me.

I really do love babylonia for the ending and all the lovely subplots it has that it w raps up emotionally well. I do. I'm glad I finally got to see it in anime form, it was distinctly satisfying. I don't think I could really give it a rating or whatever.
EmphaticPikachuMar 21, 2020 10:42 AM
Mar 21, 2020 10:39 AM

Aug 2013
This finale was pretty good, especially for a great series like Babylonia.

That farewell with Quetzalcoatl was touching.

Merlin and Romani insulting each other was amusing.

Gilgamesh knows how to make a speech. I honestly didn't realise that Gil was drinking Ale with the holy grail itself. What a funny guy.

Overall, I really enjoyed this series and it was one of the few shows I look forward to every week. A well deserved 9/10. The last two EDs, "Prover" and "Tell me" were nice. Looking forward to more FGO.
LeoMar 21, 2020 10:43 AM

Mar 21, 2020 10:46 AM

Jun 2014
Even though I never played the FGO game, I still found this to be pretty enjoyable, in particular because of how Gilgamesh backpacked this show. It's been an entertaining ride over the last 6 months, that's for sure. I guess we're also getting another Singularity from the looks of how this ended.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Mar 21, 2020 11:08 AM

May 2015
Cleared my main thoughts last week. Satisfied as a fan but had WAY more potential. As expected... This really was a dragged out epilogue. Honestly stings since episodes 19 & 20 are the peak of the story and they both had poor direction issues in contrast to legendary episode 18.

I appreciate more of the Gilgamesh characterization here and I wished the director would have prioritized him over Fujimaru since Gil is the actual MC of the show. Camelot movies look more promising on that front. This show will probably just be remembered for its wonky CG, pretty animation and Gilgamesh.

EmphaticPikachu said:
I can't help but agree in retrospect with the fear that the adaption was in many ways way too safe the vast majority of the run. They did some good things (making fujimaru bond with ushi comes to mind), but without all the different emotional subplots, the anime felt very flat in many respects, and struggled to stay fully engaging at times when the anime just simply due to the quaintness of it.
I think that review on sakurablog said it best when it praised the way the faces distorted and struggled and the mood and atmosphere were so harsh during episode 18...Exgeration, distortion, mood, atmosphere, the anime was unintentionally dull so much of the time. So bright it hurt at times.
Another strong point. The show was pretty meek as a whole. I feel like the nature of the source would've honestly given them more leeway to be more transformative aside from a few exceptions, but oh well
EmblemzMar 21, 2020 11:16 AM

Mar 21, 2020 11:11 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Probably the worst Fate spinoff I have watched till now. Extremely disappointed by the writing of the show.

3.5/10
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Mar 21, 2020 11:15 AM

Mar 2019
Solomon announced , YES!
Mar 21, 2020 11:24 AM
Jul 2013
Babylonia has come to an end and honestly it was one of the very few anime i actually looked forward to every single week. The ep nicely finished this whole journey, Gil's story was a very nice touch to me, Quetz had some more nice stuff to say instead of goodbye now im disappearing lol I saw ppl rating the plot in babylonia poorly but honestly im not sure what people expected out of it. I feel like it was pretty ok, fate has never been complex. Edgy for sure but complex? not really.

As much as people like to say Fujimaru is just an empty shell i would always disagree. To me he is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy better than such AWFUL mcs that Sieg and Shirou are. Fujimaru didnt make unnecessary preachy speeches, was able to fight and execute plans without whining, didnt gain some stupid super power and never tried to rly pull any dumb heroics acts that would go above his abilities. He was there like a normal human being and honestly it felt like a breath of fresh air for me when it comes to fate protagonists.

I loved the animation and soundtrack. The pacing has also never been an issue to me but ive always been an impatient person so maybe that played a part. I was honestly impressed with how they handleld Tiamat it rly looked decent and i genuinely loved her beast form ngl. The fight scenes were an eye candy i honestly believe they were better animated than in any fate series done by ufo cause they actually had a legit choreography.

You could see there were ppl who absolutely adored fate or at least this storyline cause to me that love was almost bleeding through the screen. I will always be grateful for how they expanded on gilgamesh/enkidu scenes. Its something ive always wanted the singularity to cover but it never did sadly. The last ep fed me well too. The anime made a good job with kingu and siduri too. I didnt care that much for either of them but thanks to the fact they were so fleshed out in the anime, i actually felt gutted after what happened to both of them.

However i would disagree with certain things. Like how they handled king hassan; but it was generally too minor to influence my overall enjoyment. Ive always liked him better in camelot anyway. I feel like one of the major problems this anime had was blowing out of the proportions moments that werent all that memorable to the fandom in the game and thanks to that setting huge expectations for some other moments. And generally it is not a bad thing to enhance where the source material failed but it clashed with how the fandom view certain moments at times. Quetz vs Tiamat was such a forgettable moment in the game. A lot of players including me completely forgot she used her np on her lol The same with Ushi, Leonidas and Gorgon vs Tiamat. On the other hand King Hassan's attack was memorable to a lot of ppl and the anime downplayed it. I suppose this all comes down to how an individual sees it since the game is very poor with acting out actual sequences. I mean for both hassan and quetz it was just a slash on a dark screen lol All in all, you cant satisfy everyone.

Overally, im pretty satisfied with the series. Might end up on my list higher than fate/zero but i need a rewatch.
Mar 21, 2020 11:42 AM
Aug 2019
Well, it's the end of Babylonia but there's more to come so I look forward to it.
I don't have much to write so here goes.
As anime-only I found watching this anime enjoyable there were some parts I was iffy about especially in the beginning episodes. But it was a good watch.
I love seeing Gilgamesh story told in this episode.

Mar 21, 2020 11:44 AM

May 2016
With that satisfying ending I can't ask for more wish I could give 9/10 but first part was not that good.... 8/10
Mar 21, 2020 11:53 AM

Jan 2013
Fell kinda flat at the last episode. Not a bad anime overall, but not a good one either.
Mar 21, 2020 11:54 AM

Jan 2009
well that is a nice farewell episode, Quetz survived huh and this wise version of Gilgamesh is nice too he also admitted that Archer Gilgamesh is his prime state so ye Archer Gilgamesh is his strongest form

glad that Ishtar survive in the end too
Mar 21, 2020 11:56 AM

Feb 2011

Didn't realize modern day japan laws apply in ancient Uruk but okay. Yeah apart from episode 19 this was extremely mediocre, generous 6/10

I'm not sure if I'm up for more Fate/Grand Order anime from this point forward, i need to get off this wild ride.
Mar 21, 2020 12:13 PM
Jan 2018
Seen fate/zero and ubl, watchin fate/ap... Haven't seen any other fate/grand order only watched an introduction to Babylonia on Ainews (YouTube channel). So I really enjoyed the anime, bad pacing at start bet around ep 14 it got way better, artwork really good and my favourite character Gilgamesh was in it :D
Mar 21, 2020 12:21 PM

Apr 2018
I don't really care for fate franchise, but this wasn't too bad.

I loved the sound effects in this anime. Top tier.
Watashi wa a victim of cyberbullying. Everyday someone online calls me a "weeb" desu. Watashi won't stand for this. 26 percent of bullying victims are chosen due to their race or religion desu. I may look like a basic white boy, but deep down I am Nihongo desu. Watashi religion is anime. Anata wa bullying me because of my race and religion desu ka? Disgusting desu. Anata should be ashamed of yourself, racist pig. A baka gaijin like anata is probably jealous of my race and culture, cause Nippon is more sugoi than your shitty country desu. Watashi pity anata. You'll never be Nihongo like watashi. Educate yourself on nani a "weeb" is.
Mar 21, 2020 12:28 PM

Jul 2013
I'm not sure what exactly people didn't like about this epilogue-style ending to the series or how it's drawn out compared to the game? I mean this is SO MUCH better than the game where after they defeat Tiamat, they just go "alright bye thanks for the holy grail." They actually got fleshed out interactions in this episode with Quetz, Jaguarman, Merlin, Ishtar and Gil saying proper goodbyes. They even expanded more on Gil and Enkidu's history here.
Mar 21, 2020 12:45 PM

Jul 2014
Cute Quetz to say goodbye to her. She looks fantastic without all her accessories. <3

Man, what a ride! I have complaints that I would like to point out but first I have to say that I loved it, it was a pretty damn entertaining and fun show. It was great to see my favorite singularity come to life, so many great moments come to life, my waifus come to life!... Oh! And the butt shots. Thanks fot the butt shots!

Like in the game my favorites were Ishtar and Ereshkigal. It was awesome to see Ishtar's tsundereness and goofiness animated as well as Eresh's loveliness and cuteness. Quetz being cute and badass, Gil being such a lovable character as well as Merlin being an hilarious scoundrel, Ana being cuter than in the game and of course, Ushi <3

Still, I wasn't a fan of some things:

I really don't understand why they chose to cram everything into 21 episodes instead of using the typical 24-26 to give the events more time to breathe, to give the characters more time to develop. They could even have removed the OP and ED from some episodes but not even that. Hell, Ushi leaves the scene pretty early and we barely see her, she's adorable and all but they could have worked better on bonding with her, let alone Benkei. The interaction with Uruk is simply shown in a short montage, and not to mention Tomoe, Ibaraki and Amakusa who were not even mentioned and could have given a good flashback. Just to name a few things. The adaptation certainly has heart but I feel it could have had much more care.

Guda, I'm definitely not a fan of how heroic and serious they made him. It was so hard for them to give him more charisma? In the game you basically have two options for the dialogues, one more serious and one lighter so why not try to mix these two better? You have the base in the game, it's not that you're going to make him more charismatic out of nowhere.

And something more personal, but it's sad to see that there are no servants at Chaldea. I remember seeing Kiyohime in one of the mangas for example.

Anyway, excited for Solomon, it should be very epic!
SkyLETVMar 21, 2020 12:53 PM
Mar 21, 2020 12:49 PM

Mar 2016
Hatsuyuki said:

Didn't realize modern day japan laws apply in ancient Uruk but okay. Yeah apart from episode 19 this was extremely mediocre, generous 6/10

I'm not sure if I'm up for more Fate/Grand Order anime from this point forward, i need to get off this wild ride.
they need to keep on portraying alcohol as the forbidden fruit so japan can continue to have its toxic drinking culture.
Aure0linMar 21, 2020 12:52 PM
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Mar 21, 2020 1:23 PM
Mar 2018
10/10 above decent for an adaptation. Some narrative points are annoying but again, Prover from Milet truly makes up for this anime. Still mad about Hassan screentime but I will overlook this one.
Mar 21, 2020 1:36 PM

Jul 2013
ImbalancedEmblem said:
Cleared my main thoughts last week. Satisfied as a fan but had WAY more potential. As expected... This really was a dragged out epilogue. Honestly stings since episodes 19 & 20 are the peak of the story and they both had poor direction issues in contrast to legendary episode 18.

I appreciate more of the Gilgamesh characterization here and I wished the director would have prioritized him over Fujimaru since Gil is the actual MC of the show. Camelot movies look more promising on that front. This show will probably just be remembered for its wonky CG, pretty animation and Gilgamesh.

EmphaticPikachu said:
Another strong point. The show was pretty meek as a whole. I feel like the nature of the source would've honestly given them more leeway to be more transformative aside from a few exceptions, but oh well

I still have no idea what huge problems the FGO fandom have with those episodes to begin with. Episode 19 stayed very true to the game's narrative. Gil delivered his usual speech and Kingu's scene was even handled better.

Episode 20, while King Hassan forcing the concept of death on Tiamat could have been handled better, overall the episode was still good. They cut out the shitty Jaguarman, gave Ishtar and Eresh their moment and even added more depth to a rather soulless antagonist like Tiamat. It sucked that Gil couldn't deliver his speech about parting ways with the gods and his metaphor of a child leaving their mother's care but people act like Cloverworks killed their families or something.
Mar 21, 2020 1:46 PM
Jul 2013
Dull_Lull said:
ImbalancedEmblem said:

I still have no idea what huge problems the FGO fandom have with those episodes to begin with. Episode 19 stayed very true to the game's narrative. Gil delivered his usual speech and Kingu's scene was even handled better.

Episode 20, while King Hassan forcing the concept of death on Tiamat could have been handled better, overall the episode was still good. They cut out the shitty Jaguarman, gave Ishtar and Eresh their moment and even added more depth to a rather soulless antagonist like Tiamat. It sucked that Gil couldn't deliver his speech about parting ways with the gods and his metaphor of a child leaving their mother's care but people act like Cloverworks killed their families or something.

Did you play Babylonia? Like at all?

First, this is anime adaptation. You're not supposed to adapt a gacha game 1:1 otherwise you're left with poor pacing issues and filler front, right and center. Episode 18 was a perfect example of how to take the source material and elevate it to new heights. Episode 19 was rushing through each scene one by one and giving none of them the impact they deserved.

And Tiamat? Soullelss? You kidding me? That speech with Guda that you think added depth was actually in the game. Only instead of inorganically saving her words for the last minute of the episode, she said it in the very first chapters of Babylonia, foreshadowing her as the antagonist and Original Sin. The chains that signify Tiamat was "giving you her life - Mashu" and that she would have remained asleep instead of carrying out her destruction, was skimmed over in favor of Ishtar blasting her nigh immediately with an anime original scene of her using an NP. Ishtar was actually supposed to explain Tiamat's history and why she became a beast, while accepting Tiamat as her legitimate ancestor. Anime skipped it over. The conversation she has with Gilgamesh about why Tiamat despited Uruk and humanity so much? Skipped over.

It didn't enhance Tiamat. It butchered her duality and contradictory nature, reducing her to the bare basics of being a kaijuu, then tried to slap on a band-aid at the end.
Mar 21, 2020 1:58 PM
Jun 2010
I suppose they did the best they could with the adaptation, with what they had. This anime is quite interesting, in that it underlines the difficulties of making good game stories (and adapting them, too). The story of the anime is constrained by both being a middle part of longer series, and having to follow the game. Game plot itself is limited by gameplay (pacing, player agency), game monetisation (the need to sell characters) and length (target audience's expected tolerance).

The story pros/cons and analysis would take too long, cant be bothered right now. It's 99% related to the game plot anyways.

The budget shows, it was pleasant watch, incredible sound effects (best since Knights of Sidonia). Fate always has really good OST, which is why it's a crying shame the director (..s?) mostly failed to use the music properly. Could have given the music more room to shine, instead of having the characters babble all the time. Having proper visuals means you don't have to explain everything in speech.
...Really, go listen the OST. Serious untapped potential there.

It's hard with source material constraints, but direction in general could have been a lot better. Not following the exact game plot beats would have helped with the general awkwardness here and there.

Would not recommend this to a different version of myself, who is not acquainted with Fate in general AND the game. YMMV
Mar 21, 2020 1:58 PM

May 2015
Dull_Lull said:
ImbalancedEmblem said:

Episode 20, while King Hassan forcing the concept of death on Tiamat could have been handled better, overall the episode was still good. They cut out the shitty Jaguarman, gave Ishtar and Eresh their moment and even added more depth to a rather soulless antagonist like Tiamat. It sucked that Gil couldn't deliver his speech about parting ways with the gods and his metaphor of a child leaving their mother's care but people act like CW fucked up big time.
My issue wasn't just the cutting. Episode 19 imo had the potential to be the best thing in the anime, but it didn't really carry the emotional beats I was anticipating. The pacing in of itself also didn't help since that just created more padding for the last 2 episodes. This is why I've been saying for months that I didn't get why this was 21 episodes. Some of it is also probably high expectations, but the show blew it out of the park on several occasions, so it hurts when the best part of the story didn't receive the same amount of care.

Mar 21, 2020 2:00 PM

Jul 2013
Gilgamesh said:
Dull_Lull said:

Did you play Babylonia? Like at all?

First, this is anime adaptation. You're not supposed to adapt a gacha game 1:1 otherwise you're left with poor pacing issues and filler front, right and center. Episode 18 was a perfect example of how to take the source material and elevate it to new heights. Episode 19 was rushing through each scene one by one and giving none of them the impact they deserved.

And Tiamat? Soullelss? You kidding me? That speech with Guda that you think added depth was actually in the game. Only instead of inorganically saving her words for the last minute of the episode, she said it in the very first chapters of Babylonia, foreshadowing her as the antagonist and Original Sin. The chains that mention Tiamat was suppressing herself intentionally, and that she would not have carried out her destruction had she remained asleep. She was "giving you her life - Mashu" and the anime skimmed it overin favor of Ishtar blasting her nigh immediately with an anime original scene of her using an NP there. Ishtar was actually supposed to explain Tiamat's history and why she became a beast, while accepting Tiamat as her legitimate ancestor. Anime skipped it over. The conversation she has with Gilgamesh about why Tiamat despited Uruk and humanity so much? Skipped over.

It didn't enhance Tiamat. It butchered her to the bare basics of being a kaijuu, then tried to slap on a band-aid at the end.

Yes I fucking did. What's your point? If I forgot some plot points then my bad. I don't memorize the entire 10 hour long singularity my boy.

How the hell did they rush the scene at episode 19? Gorgon breaking off one of Tiamat's wings was given enough time and so was Gilgamesh firing the Dingirs and Enkidu using the chains of heaven. Do you want the episode to end where they fall into the underworld or something? Now that's just poor pacing issues and y'all still gonna complain they dragged it out longer than it should be.

Yes she is. Compare Tiamat to the antagonists of Camelot and you'll see how boring a huge hollow monster is,who's characterization comes mostly from other characters exposition, compared to actual characters. She's the equivalent of a Demon God Pillar in Babylonia.

The only thing important cut in episode 19 was Ishtar's small conversation with Gilgamesh about why their mother hates humanity so much and Gilgamesh explaining that Tiamat might not be the mother she knew from her father and a small bit of Ishtar thinking why Gilgamesh still doesn't think of her. Other than that, y'all act like the whole show got murdered or something.
Dull_LullMar 21, 2020 2:05 PM
Mar 21, 2020 2:04 PM

Feb 2014
In just a single moment everything he tried to live up for ended. Yet what he felt was neither anger nor sadness but the amusement of knowing it was worth the journey of human life afterall. Partings were kinda sad but they fullfilled the purpose of this long journey. Though they part ways here, life will always bring them to know what they accomplished.
All hail to Uruk and King Gilgamesh for making it up to lead the future of humanity.
Now awaits us the finale...SOLOMON! At the end of the world.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 22, 2020

185 by keynutil »»
Apr 11, 8:51 AM

Poll: » Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 12, 2019

173 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Apr 9, 2:29 PM

Poll: » Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 5, 2019

287 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Apr 9, 1:18 PM

Poll: » Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 23, 2019

176 by keynutil »»
Apr 1, 3:14 PM

Poll: » Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2020

220 by Apreggi »»
Jan 11, 2:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.