Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 20, 2020 1:22 PM
Jan 2020
I'm a big fan of the romance genre for anime and there are many different opinions of what can ruin a romance anime for you. For me personally, I would have to say NTR and when a relationship or crush forms over something stupid. For example in just because!, Mio is in love with Haruto over an act of "kindness" where he gives her an eraser during an exam since she dropped hers. I can deal with no conclusion as long as there's another season or it actually closes on a good note. Dense characters are fine as long as they got some personality behind them where they're funny or actually interesting to watch, but there's a limit to how dense a character can be before it turns into annoyance/frustration.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 20, 2020 1:26 PM

Sep 2018
Harem endings can completely ruin romance anime for me.
Mar 20, 2020 1:26 PM
Jul 2018
No ending. No ending ruins it for me. KareKano, Ouran Koukou, Maid-sama, Ao Haru Ride, Koi wa Ameagari, WotaKoi, Sukite ii na Yo, and many, many others.
Mar 20, 2020 1:29 PM
Mar 20, 2020 1:31 PM

Aug 2018
I dunno man, a "bad end" where everyone is heartbroken and nobody gets what they want is probably the worst thing a romance story can do. It's probably a more realistic take on human relationships and I'm sure such an end would immediately garner it masterpiece status among the elitists but I don't watch anime for realism or to make me feel depressed.
Mar 20, 2020 1:31 PM
Jan 2020

I actually liked watching that anime, kind of wished there was a season 3 though. Sadly, there's no chance of that happening...
Mar 20, 2020 1:32 PM
Jul 2018
I hate love triangles and unnecessary drama. And I don't like adult romance (meaning the one with pervy stuff/jokes/etc), it's disgusting. I want everything to be cute, naive and innocent. And if it's a shounen/seinen romance - I'm skipping it because of reasons.
Mar 20, 2020 1:35 PM

Aug 2018
ysphyr said:
I hate love triangles and unnecessary drama. And I don't like adult romance (meaning the one with pervy stuff/jokes/etc), it's disgusting. I want everything to be cute, naive and innocent. And if it's a shounen/seinen romance - I'm skipping it because of reasons.

I prefer love triangles myself. It's kinda boring just watching two people go on dates or whatever.
Mar 20, 2020 1:39 PM
Jul 2018
To be honest, I don't relate to "forming a crush over something stupid" bit as to why the crush happened is never going to be a focus. I think of it as a minor annoyance at best that wouldn't matter that much as we move past that part. You can still sell a relationship on chemistry and selfless actions even if the initial idea behind why was a lost cause. Though that's just my opinion. I may think this way because, in general, establishments don't matter all that much to me.

Anyway, to answer the question, I would say bad individual personalities of characters. It's hard to have fun watching two characters interact when one of them has bricks for a personality. That's why every harem ship with the MC is never as good as shipping the two harem girls/boys together.
Mar 20, 2020 1:40 PM
Jan 2020
ysphyr said:

So like tsuki ga kirei? I thought that was a really innocent and cute anime. Pretty wholesome compared to a lot of the other romance animes out there.
Mar 20, 2020 1:40 PM
Jul 2018
epidemia78 said:
ysphyr said:

I prefer love triangles myself. It's kinda boring just watching two people go on dates or whatever.

I kinda enjoy love triangles if there is one girl and two guys fighting over her. Then I'm in. But when two girls fight over a guy - come on, ladies, he's not worth it. Unless he's Shiba Tatsuya, then you can fight all you want.

But SoL romance is great too! Like Akkun to Kanojo

And can you please tell me who's the Nyanko-chan in your signature? She hypnotized me, I want her in my life

R-K said:
ysphyr said:

So like tsuki ga kirei? I thought that was a really innocent and cute anime. Pretty wholesome compared to a lot of the other romance animes out there.

Well, there was some drama in Tsuki ga Kirei - with that bish Chinatsu. I still loved this show, it was one of the best romance anime I watched. It is indeed very lovely and wholesome.
removed-userMar 20, 2020 1:44 PM
Mar 20, 2020 1:41 PM
Feb 2020
If the girls all into the dude and the dude is chasing after other girls and ignoring the one who’s into him, that shit bugs me. I can get into love triangles for sure, creates some interesting moments,

But the dude just ignoring best girl the whole time is mad annoying. Idk how else to explain it lol excuse my strange Californian vocabulary.
Mar 20, 2020 1:45 PM
May 2019
Fanservice
Stupid motivations for love
Stupid backstories
Bad ending
Mar 20, 2020 1:47 PM
Jan 2020
DeitySmoke said:
If the girls all into the dude and the dude is chasing after other girls and ignoring the one who’s into him, that shit bugs me. I can get into love triangles for sure, creates some interesting moments,

But the dude just ignoring best girl the whole time is mad annoying. Idk how else to explain it lol excuse my strange Californian vocabulary.

Well most of the time the "best girl" doesn't get picked when it comes to a lot of romance animes in love triangle or harem instances.
Mar 20, 2020 1:51 PM
Jul 2018
A stupid protagonist. A bunch of people consider the dumb/clumsy character trait to be cute and sometimes I also do, but there is a limit to how much of an idiot the character can be.

A really good example would be Aihara Kotoko, the girl from Itazura na Kiss. This anime was PAINFUL to watch because of this character. She's annoying, lacks common sense, is bad at everything she does and even after 10 years, being an adult with a job, she's still stupid. I have no idea how the male protagonist fell in love with her. Everything about this character is frustrating.

Also harem endings, they can ruin the anime entirely for me.
removed-userMar 20, 2020 1:56 PM
Mar 20, 2020 1:53 PM

Oct 2015
What usually ruins a romance anime's quality for me is when they get together at the middle of the series. It just feels like most authors don't really know what to write after getting to that point and honestly. The same instances, tropes, etc. don't really ruin it, mostly because that's more or less what the genre has built upon, but it could get really boring and redundant, not necessarily bad.

I don't really hate any other tropes that you mentioned mostly because that's what makes them interesting in the first place. I guess you could call them a "trademark" for shows of the genre, well, aside from NTR.
Mar 20, 2020 1:55 PM

Oct 2013
When I don't like any of the characters thats the focus of the romance is probably what kills any show for me
Happens ever time I I'm not invested in the cast like SNAFU, White Album 2, Monogatari and Maison Ikkoku come to my mind right now
Mar 20, 2020 1:55 PM

Oct 2010
operationvalkyri said:
No ending. No ending ruins it for me. KareKano, Ouran Koukou, Maid-sama, Ao Haru Ride, Koi wa Ameagari, WotaKoi, Sukite ii na Yo, and many, many others.

As a manga reader of KareKano I can tell you that you're better off with the anime ending, the last volumes were, let's say weird

As for me, I hate it when the girl that did all things good and actually give something to the mc not getting anything, that's why I dislike True Tears and Just Because. It's stupid how a boy could chase for years in vain for a girl who doesn't even look at him and when a cool chick sees something in him, asks him to be her boyfriend, being overall a great friend and aid, he just brushes her off.
Mar 20, 2020 1:58 PM
Feb 2020
R-K said:
DeitySmoke said:

Well most of the time the "best girl" doesn't get picked when it comes to a lot of romance animes in love triangle or harem instances.

Yea, that’s the biggest bummer. MC always chooses the tsundere or some other BS.
Mar 20, 2020 2:01 PM
Jan 2020
Catalano said:
operationvalkyri said:

As a manga reader of KareKano I can tell you that you're better off with the anime ending, the last volumes were, let's say weird

As for me, I hate it when the girl that did all things good and actually give something to the mc not getting anything, that's why I dislike True Tears and Just Because. It's stupid how a boy could chase for years in vain for a girl who doesn't even look at him and when a cool chick sees something in him, asks him to be her boyfriend, being overall a great friend and aid, he just brushes her off.

R-KMar 20, 2020 2:11 PM
Mar 20, 2020 2:04 PM
Jul 2018
Catalano said:
operationvalkyri said:

Yeah I heard about
Mar 20, 2020 2:04 PM
Jan 2020
DeitySmoke said:
R-K said:

Yea, that’s the biggest bummer. MC always chooses the tsundere or some other BS.
DeitySmoke said:
R-K said:

Well there are some cases where the tsundere does end up being the "best girl". I find it interesting sometimes when you get to learn why they act that way or they turn out to be soft and caring and it's just an act they put up to protect themselves. I don't know how to explain it very well, but that just sometimes happens to be the case for me.
Mar 20, 2020 2:08 PM
Jul 2018
I'm generally not a fan of romance in anime. But I suppose what ruins a romance for me is when the romantic couple have absolutely no common interests that allow them to engage in fun conversations.

Think about your closest friends: why do you talk to them? Because you enjoy talking to them. Why do you enjoy talking to them? Because you have common interests. Whether it be video games, anime, etc. Without any common interests, your interactions will be bare bones at best, or at worst, non-existent.

Anime couples don't end up in the trap of "awkward conversations" in which they have nothing to talk about, because what they always talk about is the main conflict of the plot.
For example, in Your Name, nearly all the dialogue between the main characters revolves around helping each others' lives; they interacted more like co-workers doing their jobs, rather than friends who were gradually falling in love. The chemistry was so non-existent that I literally didn't even know Your Name was a romance, much less that these characters in love, until the movie pointed it out. Instead, when couples do get into a conflict in anime, it involves the major conflict in the plot, like one of the characters wants to keep risking their life for others, or something like that.

Something that also ruins romance in all anime for me, is the fact that couples don't argue about what actual couples argue: couples in anime don't argue about wasting money, who'll take care of the kids, dumb crap like that. I want to see anime where couples argue about these things, and also show toxic relationships, like manipulation, abuse, infidelity, etc. Instead, every romance anime I've seen so far, are these grade-school fantasies of what a romance should be, rather than what a romance is.

One last thing I hate about romance anime are the reasons two people fall in love: again, it's never because they have common interests, it's because one is "kind" in the sense that he's just a polite guy. Harem anime are especially guilty of this. The guy can might as well open the freaking door for a girl, and the girl will go beef red and fall seriously in love with him. Like, do girls in harem anime not interact with any guys other than the MC?

Another thing that almost ruins romance in anime for me, and this is extremely common, is when it takes forever for a couple to become a, well, couple. I'm tired of watching 12+ episodes of a meandering subplot of awkward tension, where the characters' faces go beef red just from hand holding.

In short, I hate how romance anime make romance appear all fun and games; it's not. Romance in reality is a complicated, messy, hard thing to handle.

The only romance anime I can name that avoided all these pitfalls is Wotakoi: the couples actually have common interests that they engage in, which helps explain why they're in love. Then again, I dropped Wotakoi early on, because it was a boring series for me.
Mar 20, 2020 2:10 PM

Aug 2018
ysphyr said:

I kinda enjoy love triangles if there is one girl and two guys fighting over her. Then I'm in. But when two girls fight over a guy - come on, ladies, he's not worth it. Unless he's Shiba Tatsuya, then you can fight all you want.

And can you please tell me who's the Nyanko-chan in your signature? She hypnotized me, I want her in my life

Other than Vision of Escaflowne, I haven't seen many animes with one girl pursued by two guys. Not exactly my cup of tea but not an immediate deal-breaker like reverse harems are.

The girl in my sig is Rin from Little Busters. I highly recommend it, the characters are too goddamn cute OMFG. Even the dudes are cute. I'd almost consider going gay for Kyousuke.

Mar 20, 2020 2:12 PM

Oct 2010
@R-K you better put a spoiler button there, maybe someone would like to watch Just Because or idk, I was about to get stoned by a mod because I spoiled something in Macross, which is like 40 years old, so be careful
Mar 20, 2020 2:13 PM
Jan 2020
Catalano said:
@R-K you better put a spoiler button there, maybe someone would like to watch Just Because or idk, I was about to get stoned by a mod because I spoiled something in Macross, which is like 40 years old, so be careful

Ya I just did, I submitted it without thinking cause I wanted to reply haha..
Mar 20, 2020 2:17 PM

Dec 2017
- zero progression
- trash ending
- bad drama
- unnecessary triangles
- best girl doesn't win
- and others that I'm not thinking of
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Mar 20, 2020 2:19 PM

Nov 2018
After taking too much long time,still hesitating to confess to his/her love.
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Mar 20, 2020 2:20 PM
Jul 2018
epidemia78 said:
ysphyr said:

Other than Vision of Escaflowne, I haven't seen many animes with one girl pursued by two guys. Not exactly my cup of tea but not an immediate deal-breaker like reverse harems are.

The girl in my sig is Rin from Little Busters. I highly recommend it, the characters are too goddamn cute OMFG. Even the dudes are cute. I'd almost consider going gay for Kyousuke.

Kaichou wa Maid-sama! had one. And I also know that Chihayafuru has MMF love triangle in it.

Isn't Little Busters a harem anime? I heard it was, that's why I removed it from my PTW list.

And thanks for mentioning Escaflowne, I'll definitely watch it!
Mar 20, 2020 2:25 PM

Jul 2016
Not actually seeing the characters get together, officially. There's a surprising number of anime which holds off on making it's main characters officially a couple or do anything romantic together until the very end, if at all.

One good example, Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! I watched the entire first season of that show, plus the specials and ova's and the main couple never even kissed, they never just came out and told the other they love them, I think they hold hands at one point but that's literally it. It was honestly one of the most frustrating experiences I've had watching anime in a long time. I hope they actually fucking do something in the second season, but I'm not gonna watch it, so I guess I'll never know.
Mar 20, 2020 2:29 PM

Aug 2016
A lot actually to the point in which I prefer the romance be a subplot rather than the main one.

Off the top of my head

Melodrama
Prolonged/stretched out misunderstandings which can easily be solved with simple communication
They both knowingly love each other, but still afraid to hold hands, kiss or whatever
Series might start off with something like a kiss, but never ever reached that point again or 10+ episodes (in the anime) assuming romance is the main plot
Unless shit hits the fan, love polygons (if it's part of comedy that's different)
Harem romance with beta dude. Also once the harem progresses further, he's asked to choose or pick, and then the situation gets interrupted and the girls who ask never bring it up again.
Unwarranted abusive relationships that aren't funny
<Insert whatever> interrupts any romance moment that would advance their relationship further than whatever their current one is
Indirectly related to the romance in schools would have students be extremely jealous of the dude (and have a fan club dedicated to the girl) and starts beating him up or whatever else. I rather not see pathetic characters on the screen.
Instead of just saying baka, an emotional outburst of "baka baka baka" as they storm out (and usually the scene that lead to this moment) makes me roll my eyes or facepalm
Overuse of sorry if something bad happens.
Situations in which characters continue to knowingly (they are aware of it) put themselves in positions that would negatively affect their current relationship, but don't have the self control or discipline to stop this.
Same old shit in which situation is the same, but timing/setting/whatever is different and the character never learns

(and a lot more that I would need to dig further to find)
MechKingKillbotMar 20, 2020 2:40 PM
Mar 20, 2020 2:32 PM
Oct 2018
Useless bland side characters NTR and not conclusive ending
Mar 20, 2020 3:13 PM

Oct 2014
anytime there's more than one love interest i sort of become less interested.
Mar 20, 2020 3:20 PM

Oct 2017
hand holding. god i have this unsettling act. do you know where those hands have been? no you dont
Mar 20, 2020 3:31 PM

Aug 2018
ysphyr said:
epidemia78 said:

Kaichou wa Maid-sama! had one. And I also know that Chihayafuru has MMF love triangle in it.

Isn't Little Busters a harem anime? I heard it was, that's why I removed it from my PTW list.

Little Busters is about a group of friends: 4 guys and 6 girls. Each of them gets their own story arc and since the first season is all about the girls it might seem a bit harem-esque but romantic relationship type stuff is a very minor point that only briefly comes into play in the second season.

Oh and there's two versions of Escaflowne. I haven't seen 2000 movie but the 1996 TV series is excellent.

Mar 20, 2020 3:37 PM
Jul 2018
epidemia78 said:
ysphyr said:

Little Busters is about a group of friends: 4 guys and 6 girls. Each of them gets their own story arc and since the first season is all about the girls it might seem a bit harem-esque but romantic relationship type stuff is a very minor point that only briefly comes into play in the second season.

Oh and there's two versions of Escaflowne. I haven't seen 2000 movie but the 1996 TV series is excellent.

I just see people mentioning Little Busters as one of their fav harem shows, that's why I was so concerned. Guess I'll give it a chance after all - mainly because I can't resist this Nyanko-chan Rin and also Kudryavka looks extremely cute.

Thank you so much!
Mar 20, 2020 6:40 PM
Jul 2018
Unfortunately a lot. I have at least some life expierence and although I didn't have many relationships and never fell head over heels for people easily, I have a very good idea how more mature relationships and love (should) look like.
PS: Not like the typical shoujo manga.

Stuff I dislike... a lot, buh let's see:

Everything that is highly abusive but not portrayed as such a thing. I kinda like unhealthy behavior to a certain degree, because we all have that imo and also in relationships, but not the outrightly abusive stuff. I don't want to ask myself why they are not calling the victim help hotline for once. Like Citrus and similar anime.
And ofc disgusting stuff like pedophilia towards an actual kid. For example Loveless and other stuff, you know.

Besides that, I dislike the too old-fashioned view on romance, where they just met and would die for each other and all stuff like that.
I kinda want it to be romantic in its own way, but I dislike most older romance stories as well, because they don't know each other at all and they say they fell in love with another after a few days or weeks.
That's interest or lust or just "they seem to be likable" ... or all of that.
I have news: If I would listen to my hormones running wild, I would buy a lot of useless stuff and eating one kilo of chocolate in these days of the month. But listening to your hormones is a dumb idea, especially if you are not 14 or 15 anymore.

It seems to be so superficial, if they don't speak about normal stuff most times (get to know each other on a personal level, speaking about plot-related stuff etc.), but only confess and express their "love" for each other in a dozen kitschy ways.
I really love these couples or ships, where you can actually see how well they know each other and work as a team. ❤

But the opposite to that superficial thing is something I absolutely adore in a romance / shipping: a slow build up and two characters coming to understand and getting to know each other better over the time. That's also what I know from my life. I think building up a close friendship / partnership is the most important thing in a romance.
If the series goal is to portray a somewhat healthy, and especially more mature, relationship or shipping, it's also important for me, that they have some respect for each other's feelings, thoughts and abilities. I'm so totally in for a couple, who trust another a lot! Not only trust, but this kind of respect like: "I know, you got this, fam. I have a lot of respect of your abilities and who you are as a person."
I hated it in some books and maybe anime (and it has been the case in straight romances more than gay or lesbians), when the guy and the story undermines the abilities of the female protagonist a lot and treated her like she's incompetent in every life aspect. This impression of: "Stay behind little girl and don't get involved with important stuff, your man got this..." irks. I absolutely get this, if it's logical for her to do so, but these stories don't show too much competence of the female protagonists in other life aspects either.

Besides Kannazuki no Miko, for example, being not good anyway (especially because of the lesbian rape scene <.< and in general it was not good imo), even before that awful scene happened, the series wanted to portray their feelings as love. It was done in a very cheesy and superficial way.
I routed for the boy then, but I didn't ship him with the main girl either, because they were cheesy in other ways. I don't like it, when the (especially in these cases male) male love interest is portrayed as too "gentleman-like" or whatever in most cases. It bores me to tears. At least, if there is not more about it.
Even as a kid, when I watched Disney movies, I found these perfect guys so incredible boring and they felt inhuman, BUT as a kid, I had a fictional crush on Aladdin and then a huge one on Jim from Treasure Planet lol. I also had almost only male friends for a long time and therefore the "perfect guy"-types seemed so alien and slick to me. Eh... i saw Treasure Planet recently and still think Jim is a darling.
These perfectly portrayed guys, whose faces tell you: "I'm empty inside and a stock character type, only existing for a girl's wet dream", like these "reverse harem"-types of guys make my eyes roll a lot.
In these cases with the "perfect" love interests, I always asked myself what their relationship with a guy like that would look like and how uninteresting they act with another after the end of the story. In a bit more realistic story, the girls might come to the conclusion that there is not so much substance behind their guy's good appearance and seemingly perfect personality, and might break up after years of feeling they got a quite empty relationship, because they don't really got anything to talk about either.
Or for example, the guy from Maid-sama disgusted me to no end for some reason ... and the girl did as well, so I just dropped it, but I really disliked what I've seen.
But really, in my eyes, these guys look, and especially are portayed, like they come from a barbie doll factory. lol
I'm always in for beautiful characters, but not these otome game-like guys eeh...

I also dislike these hypershy and TOO naive or submissive "UwU shoujo heroines" in most cases.
Or better saying... I don't dislike them, but I don't love them either.
Atm I watch and read Hanako-kun and I really, really like it. And I get it, some girls in Nene's age are like that. 15(?) is a dumb age for quite many teens. Also I know, it's not a shoujo (if you wanna to tell me that) and I don't dislike her, but I don't love her too much either. She's okay and sweet, all in all, I guess. Here, I like that the series doesn't portray her crushes like love. She reminds of two, three female classmates I had at that age, who fell every week for a new guy and were totally boy-crazy, because their hormones were rushing through their head. Although they kinda knew that they aren't having a profound relationship with all of their crushes, but were just hormone-driven.
Tho I got along with some shoujo heroines, but I'm really not their biggest fan. They are there for self-identification for the shy and naive, mostly japanese, school girls and I never could really identify myself with them. They are just boring to me and they make the romance and their dynamics with their love interest more boring than it could be.

Tl;dr:
My absolute favorite couple dynamic: just two individuals, who are not too perfect and preferable not these shoujo type girls, with a slow building, deep relationship and with mutual affection, trust and respect for each other.

Also I prefer it, when the relationship isn't about hormone-driven, or in general love-confused, teenagers. They are good for drama like Scum's Wish (overcoming loneliness okay, but they are still hormone-driven as well), but not so much for actual romance. I just feel, I'm wasting my time on that, I don't really need to see that.
Tho I don't mind characters in teenage years, who got a really good relationship with their love interest that is less hormone-driven and less of "I've known him for one week / didn't talk to him more than a few words, I looove him UwU"

ALSO, outside of the "normal" SOL romances, power couples are my cryptonite. I love power couples so much! 🥰
removed-userMar 20, 2020 7:41 PM
Mar 20, 2020 6:44 PM

Oct 2008
Two things ruin a romance for me like nothing else.

1. If there isn't a love triangle (every romance needs this). Its a spicy ingredient, but the dish can't do without it.

2. If drama is missing the series will suck. The struggle, the hardship and the overcoming of both are essential.
Mar 20, 2020 7:13 PM

Mar 2019
The main thing I don't like is just when the writers seem to come up with every excuse in the book to not let the romance have any progress. There's a lot of 12 episode romance animes out there where I feel like we don't really get much of an idea of how their life will actually turn out because the writers wasted so much time on the "will they end up dating in the first place" tension. Or even worse, we get a romance anime that doesn't even have an ending at all like Ao Haru Ride. To me a proper ending is either marriage or some kind of promise to marry, not "the characters confessed to each other."

One reason why I liked Golden Time a lot better than some romance animes is because they didn't do this. The anime mostly focused on the actual relationship than keeping you waiting for 12 episodes to see if the characters will confess.

That being said, I suspect that the kind of romance animes I'm complaining about are just meant for a different target audience. Back when I was 14, I loved Rosario Vampire whereas watching it years later, the lack of progress was frustrating to me.

So I'd say its worth keeping in mind that all the animes where the climax is essentially a love confession are probably meant for a middle school audience. So maybe its unfair to judge the quality of these animes from our perspective given that we are not the target audience anymore.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 20, 2020 7:18 PM

Sep 2019
Well, involve anything related to a harem and I'll most likely lose interesting immediately and drop it. Which is why I just ignore anything with the genre tag.

One thing that really annoys me is what chuunibyou season 2 did. Okay, so we got the main couple introduced, other characters, and the fact that the relationship is basically still on the first level. So let us add a third wheel and make it a love triangle.
A love triangle with an already established relationship, which makes any time involved with the couple basically go to this half-assed love triangle? I dropped that thing as soon as it introduced a new character as that third wheel. Heck, I ignored it and immediately went to the movie when it came out.

I haven't really seen anything like it (except in a manga), but if it has cheating and the other is basically like "second chances" or "I don't mind", it would make me go crazy. Betrayers deserve the worst.

ysphyr said:

I just see people mentioning Little Busters as one of their fav harem shows, that's why I was so concerned. Guess I'll give it a chance after all - mainly because I can't resist this Nyanko-chan Rin and also Kudryavka looks extremely cute.

Thank you so much!

That's a little weird, considering Little Busters anime removed the romance aspect from the routes (at least with how much of it I saw). Which I understand, but it was the reason why I was less than a fan of the anime (The overall story, routes, and Refrain is still great though). Still, I wouldn't call it anything like a harem. Heck, I still think Clannad barely fits the category.

Also, may I recommend the Visual Novel? It's really good.
"You know you've reached peak quality when a doujin is better than the actual source series." (Eg. To LOVE-Ru)

Just to list a couple of biases.
Likes: A good story, characters, writing, romance, a good plot twist or something that breaks expectations (In a good way), 'backstory' and justice.
Dislikes: Bad romance, too much fanservice, the harem genre, yuri, yaoi, and bad writing.

Mar 20, 2020 7:26 PM

Jun 2019
Too small of an age gap.

Too many appeals to the fluff and trivialities of modern customs.
Mar 20, 2020 7:31 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Just the really stupid misunderstandings. There are only so many times I can see those scenes where it's like "Oh he hates me" after he just has to like pee or some stupid stuff-- or on a more serious note, he has to do something with his family or something. This is usually misunderstanding due to lack of communication, but sometimes it's just misunderstanding due to fanservice or something. When it's due to fanservice and it takes an actual dramatic toll on a character it's just like, "Why is this happening?"

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Mar 20, 2020 7:34 PM

Jul 2017
tsunderes, timid protags, cynical protags, protags who barely develop, girlfriends who are delivered to your doorstep trope, obsession with dumb ecchi stuff, harem, incest, age gap, over reliance on slapsticks or edgy philosophical subtext, school theme
Mar 20, 2020 7:43 PM

Aug 2016
Unnecessary drama/conflict that could be be easily dealt with if the characters just stop and have a conversation like normal fucking people do.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Mar 20, 2020 8:23 PM
Jul 2018
sharp turns and events, such as T***d*** how tf did they go from admitting their love to married to running away in short span of a couple episodes. I censored the name.
Mar 20, 2020 8:27 PM
Jan 2020
Most fan service what I look for in a romance anime is in love is war,
Mar 20, 2020 8:42 PM

Feb 2015
At this point, a school setting. If it's also a light novel adaptation, I don't even need to watch it to know what happens.
Mar 20, 2020 8:44 PM

Jun 2017
if the anime is bad, that generally ruins it for me

WatchTillTandava said:
Too small of an age gap.

wtf lmaoo
Mar 20, 2020 8:48 PM

May 2017
There are a few but the one on top is the tag "Harem".
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 20, 2020 8:54 PM
Jul 2018
Shitty love triangles that create so much unnecessary drama
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » What tropes do you find the most annoying in a protagonist?

ZeroMajor12 - Yesterday

22 by Jozuwa-_- »»
16 seconds ago

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - Today

29 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
1 minute ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

38 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
2 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - Today

41 by epidemia78 »»
4 minutes ago

» What anime song (intro, outro, j-pop) of the ringtone do you use right now?

Kiryotsu - 1 hour ago

9 by Ahiru89 »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.