Forum Settings
Forums

How bad does an anime have to be for you to rate it 1/10?

New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Feb 2, 2020 10:23 AM

Feb 2011
Roevhaal said:
patchworkpants said:

Only if you're a cynical person who takes everything it takes to make an animation for granted.

A 5 is meant to be average. It's the median score when you lay out every single animation in order and put a number exactly in the middle.
effort doesn't really matter if the end result is crap, maybe it's just me but I like to have some sort of standard when I rate stuff.

Judging by your list, your standard seems to be to give anime that have stellar soundtracks, gorgeous unique looking animation and good writing/performances from the actors a 3 or less.
Feb 2, 2020 11:22 AM

Jul 2013
- When one show has only one element/concept and everything else is just there
- Obnoxious characters that serves no purpose
- Horrible premise
- Uninteresting characters.

That's all it really needs for a 1/10. Honestly, if the show I rate a 1. It horrible yes. But honestly I can actually move on from them and forget them. But if it's a 0/10... Well it becomes a "so bad, it's depressing" type of feeling. And so far I only have Masou Gauken HxH on that territory.

Feb 2, 2020 11:24 AM

Apr 2015
It has to be. Without a doubt. A complete waste of time to me where I have gained absolutely nothing, not a genuine laugh, not a justifiable anger. Something that literally has no reason to exist which is exceedingly difficult to do for me. It has to either make me so angry for so many superficial reasons, or be a void of nothingness where I cannot justify it even being apart of the medium.
Feb 2, 2020 4:46 PM

Sep 2018
I have never given an anime a 1, not even berserk 2016.
But I don’t doubt an anime worthy of a 1 exists
Feb 2, 2020 5:04 PM

Dec 2011
Thankfully I've yet to come across one, and I hope I never do.

On the other hand, it's far easier to find that in manga.
Feb 2, 2020 5:27 PM

May 2016
Shit like school days for obvious reasons.
Feb 2, 2020 5:56 PM
Mar 2018
Anime that I can't even take seriously whether it is bad animation, bad VA, or bad story. If I can't watch it without thinking wtf is this, then it's a 1/10
Feb 2, 2020 5:58 PM

Oct 2019
disastrously bad. SCRUTINIZINGLY BAD. bad enough I would rate it a 1/10, which is rare.
Feb 2, 2020 8:28 PM

Jun 2016
patchworkpants said:
I think I probably rate them a bit high for some people's taste, but I kind of look at animation in the same way I look at video games, and people complain that they are always rated too high. Like a 6/10 is generally a bad score for a game and it usually means it's derivative, bland and not fun but not buggy, or slightly fun but full of bugs that make it frustrating to play.

For a game to get 1/10 it would have to look horrific, not be fun at all, crash every five seconds, have characters clipping through all the scenery, be full of insane bugs, and only actually be 1/100 of a completed game.

So for me a 1/10 would be the equivalent of that in an anime. The blandest story and characters ever where the dialogue was written by an actual 4 year old, audio that's so bad it hurts your ears, characters that look like scribbles and their walking animations are just a still picture sliding around or teleporting.

The worst anime I've ever seen would be about halfway between that and perfect so I can't really give anything below a 5 as I'm not even sure an anime exists that sucks that much.

A 4 would still look very amateur and have bad voice acting and writing and unpleasant audio to a degree and generally even the worst anime is above that. Maybe it exists and I just haven't seen it.

A 0/10 would just be a black screen with someone screaming and scratching their nails on a chalkboard.

I agree with your ratings. Just thinking about it logically, between whether or not an anime in a simple Yes I enjoyed it, or No I did not enjoy it - not entertaining 1,2,3,4,5 and entertaining 6,7,8,9,10, there should be no reason to watch / finish anime that you don't find entertaining or anime you'd consider 5 or less.

Anything you bother finish watching would have had to be some degree of entertaining and enjoyable for you to spend hours, usually, watching it. So 7.5 would be the middle ground imo for entertainment. Which is basically what mal scores eventually finalize around with 7.5+ being mostly popular, enjoyed shows.

Feb 2, 2020 8:35 PM

Oct 2017
It has to be appalling.

Something extraordinarily meant to disgust me, i.e (Boku no Piko).
I don't usually rate 1, I immediately drop the anime and simply don't rate it, I don't even put it on my list, I don't wanna be associated with or talk about terrible anime series. If I do keep watching an anime, that means it's going to be at least a 4 rated anime, anything I feel that deserves less than this, is immediately dropped and not added into my list.

I just don't feel like a masochist torturing myself to watch something I don't like.
''Enemies' gifts are no gifts and do no good.''
Feb 2, 2020 8:43 PM
May 2019
Harem animes, I despise this whole genre so much, For me harem animes are complete waste of time, they are not entertaining but super annoying to me and also incest, it's just disgusting, So any anime which has harem or incest are worst to me, unfortunately most of the animes these days are harems, it's hard to find a good anime nowadays
Feb 2, 2020 9:21 PM

Dec 2008
Well, for example: I watched few episodes of Ange Vierge and Masou Gakuen HxH, and I want to give them something worse than 0/10, but I don’t want anime like these listed in my list, so I don’t add them to my list.
Feb 2, 2020 9:29 PM
Aug 2019
juiccbox said:

just watch mars of destruction.....
Feb 2, 2020 9:32 PM

Apr 2015
Jojo's Bizarre adventure level of shitty
Feb 2, 2020 9:40 PM

Jul 2009
It literally has to have no redeeming value like Nami or Pupa. I don't rate any TV-length series this low because all those I've seen so far have at least one positive aspect.
Feb 2, 2020 9:49 PM
Feb 2020
I watched an anime called Conception: The Animation. There's nothing good about it.

-The characters are as one-dimensional as a piece of paper.
-The "waifus" are bland and meaningless, and they are suppose to be the selling point of the show.
-That raccoon thing makes me want to shoot myself and drags the show on.
-Little to no conflict, especially the dungeons.
-The ending is awful (I saw a review of it awhile back and found out about the ending, I dropped the show after 5 episodes).
Feb 2, 2020 10:23 PM

Jan 2020
If I find a show that I 100% thought was dumb and disturbing that I could not get out of my head. You smite that junk witha 1/10 bb!
Feb 2, 2020 10:25 PM

Aug 2011
Boku no Pico bad.....
Just cringe and gross.
Feb 2, 2020 11:17 PM
Nov 2015
Terrible plot, like ANYTHING MAKE sense, deus ex machina everywhere, i have seen some animes that cuz genre is Magic they think they can get away WITH EVERYTHING, just because magic, right? Nooooooo, Magic doesnt mean lack of sense ... Animes nowdays need better writers ... Also stupid leads that act like stupid 5 y/o and lack all sense of intelligence ... Some animes dont even have an antagonist in order to make the lead lo, hate those, there is nothing more boring that a mc that is able to overpower everything and everybody at firts attemp
Feb 3, 2020 1:11 AM
Jul 2017
I rate as follow:
1 and 2 /10: it's mostly personal taste, but generally the product lack in every department
3 an 4 /10: the product lack almost in everything, that's mediocre
5 and 6/10: the product lack in one or more departments but has something good and it works
7 and 8/10: the product it's just good, everything works fine, it's a wellmade product
9 and 10/10: as above, the product it's just wellmade, this vote as 1-2 is just personal taste
Feb 3, 2020 1:26 AM

Feb 2019
I never gave an anime 1/10. The lowest score I gave is a 3. But if the characters have no layers, animation is barely moving,story is stupid/doesn't make sense and I don't enjoy it enought to cosnsider it a guilty pleasure. Then I would give it a 1/10.
Feb 3, 2020 3:41 AM

Feb 2011
fruits_punch95 said:
Jojo's Bizarre adventure level of shitty

How is Jojo's Bizarre Adventure shitty?

Its not an anime that I have any interest in watching ever. Its art style, while original and unique (always a plus) doesn't do anything for me and it's tone is too campy for my tastes. I couldn't give it a low score if I watched it though because there are so many unique ideas in there that seem to be executed well for the kind of audience its aimed at... Which isn't me.
Feb 3, 2020 3:52 AM
May 2019
It has to be on the same level of trashiness as Dorohedoro no redeeming qualities just awful writing.
Feb 3, 2020 3:54 AM

Oct 2013
It has to be at least Black Clover bad.
Feb 3, 2020 5:10 AM

May 2015
Tokyo Ghoul Re: series 2 levels of bad
Feb 3, 2020 5:33 AM

Nov 2007
Dunno. I gave SAO and Gate 4/10 when they are probably the shttiest anime I have seen.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Feb 3, 2020 6:11 AM
Feb 2020
It must be unbearable. It not being fun to watch or it being boring isn't enough.
6 + 9 = 420 🙃
Feb 3, 2020 6:59 AM

May 2017
Seven Deadly Sins almost got a 1 from me
Feb 3, 2020 7:16 AM

Feb 2011
NaoKiryu said:
juiccbox said:

It WAS bad wasn't it? I was deciding between giving it 4 or 5, but even so, it's definitely not a 1.

I've never seen an anime I would score as low as 1. I feel like if I ever see something so unwatchable, I'll just drop it straight away...

I've only seen clips but it has a fantastic, unique looking art direction and is fairly well animated. You would have to be blind to be able to give it a one even if they completely butcher the manga.
Feb 3, 2020 8:21 AM

Aug 2013
My 1 is the opposite of my 10, it's beyond quality but completely personal.
It must have an element extremely close to me but done in an incredibly bad way from my point of view, enough to make me rage about it years after I've seen it.

Since it's not someting I can find anyday, and I can predict which animes could probably end up that way, I've only ecountered 3 etries worth a 1.

That said, even among them Kashimashi wasn't that triggering, but I didn't see a single decent thing about it to balance the average emotional damage it caused me.
Feb 3, 2020 11:34 AM

Jul 2019
It has to be Master of Ragnarok. I believed that there is no anime that deserves to be rated with 1. Every anime no matter how bad it is, has at least one good aspect. But then I watched Master of Ragnarok and realized I was wrong. I'm just gonna quote mother's basement on this show : "if someone made a list of everything that is wrong with seasonal isekai-harem light novel adaptations and some studio found it and used it as a scenario for an anime, Master of Ragnarok would be a dollar tree knock of whatever they made". That was the only anime I ever rated 1. It was so irritating for me to even see it on my list so I ended up deleting it.
Feb 3, 2020 12:02 PM
Dec 2019
horridhendy said:
At the moment, I haven't rated anything a 1/10 but I feel like if I am using the 10/10 score (which I am) then I should also be using the 1/10 score. In actual fact, I feel like a 1/10 and a 10/10 are similar in some way. A 10/10 is a 9/10 that has some sort of personal significance for me or resonated with me in a special way. Whereas a 1/10 would be the same as a 2/10 that personally really angered, annoyed or offended me. But it'd have to be really awful for me to feel that way.

This is the way I see it as well. I would argue that a 1/10 is similar to a 10/10 in that it is a pretty emotional rating. Of course, sitting through a 1/10 show is virtually impossible because the show is in some way really offensive to you as the viewer. Hence I have only given shows that rating that I dropped nearly immediately - and actually only two:
Berserk (2016), because the production shows such an astounding incompetence and disrespect for the viewer and the source material. Also I think it was so terrible that it left a lasting negative impact on CG animation.
Itou Junji Collection, for pretty much the same reason (minus CG) with the added bonus of completely missing the mark.

edit: Though, now that I think about it... some of the shows I gave a 2/10 might easily be 1/10, but they are so unintentionally funny. Ousama Game was an utter trainwreck with no redeeming qualities, but really funny. Evil or Live is also disturbingly shit, but *that* scene from episode 2 made me laugh so hard that I just couldn't.

Now, I usually drop shows pretty fast when I don't like what I see and maybe there were more that I consider to be this bad, but I forgot about them or didn't even finish one ep. But in the end you have to remember that the scores can be a ranking for the one that does them. So it is quite easy to imagine someone giving a show a 1/10 that isn't even that bad - but maybe it was just the worst and below everything else that that person has watched. Then giving it a 2/10 would be somewhat dihonest as well, if it is just worse than other shows with that rating.
SylverthasFeb 3, 2020 12:41 PM
Feb 3, 2020 1:16 PM

Aug 2019
For me that would have to be diabolik lovers. It has to be something where every single aspect of it is horrible. I can’t even enjoy it in an ironic way because there is nothing that makes it enjoyable. Character design is basic, animation and art style is boring, plot is absolutely TERRIBLE, characters are some of the worst written stupid pieces of shit ever, ost sounds like elevator mysic, voice acting is average, and god knows more.
Feb 3, 2020 8:01 PM
Mar 2015
Babylon was my first 1 In the word of the US Supreme Court it was obscene Meaning it had no social value.
Feb 3, 2020 9:27 PM

Aug 2013
I don't even have any anime rated 1. My lowest is at 3. I guess it would have to be something whose mere existence is a crime against humanity, kinda like the few manga I have given a 1.
Feb 4, 2020 2:30 PM
Apr 2019
I try not to score something I haven't finished, and I won't bother finishing something that doesn't at least somewhat hold my interest so for me a 1 is something that started off well enough but just spiraled ever downward in an increasingly steeper state, until it ends in a massive shit pile.

When it comes to mediocre shows, I feel like the final episode can really make or break it. There are shows I was fully prepared to give at least a six to that I gave 1 just because that last episode was really THAT bad.(they aren't on my list yet I'm still going through from memory)
Feb 5, 2020 1:27 AM

Jan 2012
Valvrave. Never dropped a show so quickly.
Feb 5, 2020 1:34 AM

Nov 2011
Awful plot, awful characters and awful animation.

Feb 5, 2020 1:58 AM

Jun 2009
I only gave 1 to an anime I have a personal beef with and that genuinely pissed me off, even though it objectively deserves a higher score. So far there is only one anime like that.
If something truly deserved a 1/10 I wouldn't waste time watching the entirety of it lol rip to people who do it but I can't.
Feb 5, 2020 6:14 AM

Feb 2011
guppika said:
I only gave 1 to an anime I have a personal beef with and that genuinely pissed me off, even though it objectively deserves a higher score. So far there is only one anime like that.
If something truly deserved a 1/10 I wouldn't waste time watching the entirety of it lol rip to people who do it but I can't.

Why did you watch it a second time if you hated it so much? XD
Feb 5, 2020 6:18 AM

Jan 2019
It would be really hard. Lowest I have is a 2...

There would have to be nothing redeemable about it. Everything would have to be awful.
"Whether you're sad, you're hurt, or empty, you have to keep playing."

Feb 5, 2020 6:27 AM
Jan 2018
Don't like the characters or if it's really broing half the time or bad animation

I gave cheat magican and master of Ragnarok a 1 mainly due to animation but cheat magican was boring and I just finished it becouse I had nothing els to do ,

I also have the milf iskeai a 1 for many reasons
I have sums wish a 1 for not liking any of the characters at the end agian finished it becouse I was camping for the weekend and downloaded the series from Amazon prime

Happy suger life the characters where just creepy and was strange that hardly anyone in that series was normal,

I did give manga and LN adaptions a 1 for how bad the adaption is but I'm trying not to be as strict when is comes to adaptions because even though I may hate the way its been adapted i still find enjoyment from the characters

For example black Butler was a 1 but I gave it a 3 due to the characters ( black Butler season 1 is pretty much all anime original content )
Mattinator95Feb 5, 2020 6:36 AM
Feb 5, 2020 6:44 AM
Jan 2020
There is no "1/10", but there is "1/5"
Feb 5, 2020 6:47 AM

Jun 2009
patchworkpants said:
guppika said:

I rewatched it a few years later to see if my opinion changed, 'maybe I was too harsh and got it all wrong' type of thing (hint: it didn't). It turns out I find it fun to hate on it but at least it's just that one anime lol.
Feb 5, 2020 6:53 AM

Sep 2017
Never gave a 1 or even a 2, so it would have to be a complete disaster

And a boring one. Some animes are so awful and bad they're actually enjoyable (like Arifureta), so it needs to be a boring trash
Feb 5, 2020 6:55 AM

Feb 2011
guppika said:
patchworkpants said:

I rewatched it a few years later to see if my opinion changed, 'maybe I was too harsh and got it all wrong' type of thing (hint: it didn't). It turns out I find it fun to hate on it but at least it's just that one anime lol.

That's fair. I've seen some people who give 3/4 of the anime they've seen a 3 or less. Makes me wonder why they would watch anime at all if most of it upsets them so much.
Feb 5, 2020 5:16 PM

Oct 2012
It's like a book that's been dragged through mud until it's completely saturated. No more ink would show through the dirt on its pages, and no more dirt would change its appearance. It's so tainted and smeared in bullshit that I can have no more expectations for it.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 5, 2020 8:06 PM

Jun 2011
patchworkpants said:
NaoKiryu said:

It WAS bad wasn't it? I was deciding between giving it 4 or 5, but even so, it's definitely not a 1.

I've never seen an anime I would score as low as 1. I feel like if I ever see something so unwatchable, I'll just drop it straight away...

I've only seen clips but it has a fantastic, unique looking art direction and is fairly well animated. You would have to be blind to be able to give it a one even if they completely butcher the manga.
this is literally the first time I have ever heard anything positive about that adaptation lmao. Like someone already said, the CGI is so bad that it has made people have more of a negative feeling towards CGI in general. Sad since it's the #1 ranked manga on MAL, and well known for its artwork, and obviously I'm a huge fan (my avatar). I don't think any show deserves a 1, but as much as I love Berserk I just couldn't take it, too much for me. I dont understand why such a great manga cant get an even barely decent adaptation nowadays (90's one got me into it), even the brothel reviewers which is almost hentai seems to have gotten a decent budget so it being not suitable for prime time tv shouldn't be the issue, I just dont get it.
Feb 10, 2020 12:25 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Themousen said:
Never gave a 1 or even a 2, so it would have to be a complete disaster

And a boring one. Some animes are so awful and bad they're actually enjoyable (like Arifureta), so it needs to be a boring trash
Give Isekai Cheat Magician a go, it's amazing how painfully bad and boring it is.
Feb 10, 2020 1:02 PM
Jul 2018
Probably something like "Bokusatsu Denshi Dokuro-Chan". Worst anime I've seen, I consider it the "Uncle Grandpa" of anime, just a bunch of random and toilet humor that tries way too hard to be funny. Only thing I liked about it was this: https://youtu.be/7boYC1XCagU
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Why do so many people hate a show because of one character?

ZeroMajor12 - 13 minutes ago

2 by tchitchouan »»
4 minutes ago

» Out of all SAO knockoffs out there which one is actually worth watching?

Eternal-Destiny - Yesterday

21 by Firemaster2018 »»
35 minutes ago

» 🌹 Anime Questionnaire 2024 🌹 ( 1 2 3 )

Shizuna - May 16

113 by LeonhartAugust »»
37 minutes ago

Poll: » Is the harem genre trashy? ( 1 2 )

JustSomeone15 - Yesterday

57 by Firemaster2018 »»
38 minutes ago

» Why do so many people still shove anime through interpolaiton AI? ( 1 2 )

Akuya - Yesterday

53 by LeonhartAugust »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.