Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 22, 2019 6:10 AM

Oct 2018
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

Gou dream is to catch every Pokémon love how he's taking his dream seriously too which is kinda ironic because of gen 8 game controversy and the interaction with every caught Pokémon was good as well, today's episode art was illustrated by @_NaokiSaito these artists are really amazing.

Ri22rkDec 22, 2019 10:12 AM
Dec 22, 2019 9:16 AM
Jul 2016
That Pidgeot scene was really weird. Why do they need to make such a hard-to-recognize scene after showing Pidgey and Pidgeotto in this episode?
Dec 22, 2019 9:42 AM

Apr 2017
This episode was so disappointing. Why did they make catching pokemon so easy? That you can catch a Caterpie without weakening it I can accept but a Butterfree or a Pinsir? Oh please, that's just annoying.
Dec 22, 2019 10:22 AM

Jan 2019
Rei_Libris said:
This episode was so disappointing. Why did they make catching pokemon so easy? That you can catch a Caterpie without weakening it I can accept but a Butterfree or a Pinsir? Oh please, that's just annoying.
They are doing it because that’s how you catch them in Pokémon Let’s Go and the mobile game. I think it’s dumb to as I found it dumb in the games as well though.
"In the End, Only Kindness Matters" -Jewel
Dec 22, 2019 10:28 AM

Oct 2018
@Rei_Libris His name is Go, his catching style is same as pokemon Go and the way he throws the ball is same as pokemon Go as well. You're seeing the pattern? I know it's a stupid way to catch it but this was intentional obviously.
Ri22rkDec 22, 2019 10:33 AM
Dec 22, 2019 12:09 PM
Dec 2019
Wow... I guess people didn't like this one?

I personally loved it, sure, the catching Pokemon without weakening them thing is dumb, but it got it's act together in the end. Gou is literally me in the Pokemon games, catching the rarest Pokemon around.

Really hyped for the Frontier episode, want to see Ash flex his medals.
Dec 22, 2019 12:13 PM

Jul 2015
Nice Pokemon Catch 'em All Glitchless speedrun by Gou, he was quite lucky tho, with most of his catches being on his first attempt.
Dec 22, 2019 12:49 PM
May 2017
Seriously. What the fuck even is a pokemon master. Do even the writers have any idea at this point.

Ash could've mentioned that Caterpie was the first pokemon he caught too

This episode was hilarious and all but Go catching most of the bugs so easily felt cheap. I'm glad to see Venonat and Venomoth again. Since they've appeared so rarely in the anime not to mention the games. The line hasn't been in a regional pokedex since Johto. + Masuda and Ohmori (2 high ranking game freak emploeyees) Even mocked Venomoth's design in an interview.

I wonder if that Pidgeot was supposed to be Ash's. I'm very hyped for next episode.
Dec 22, 2019 1:07 PM
Feb 2019
i really hope that was ash's pidgeot oh my god
Dec 22, 2019 2:05 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Gou catching every bugs pokemon of Kanto, it was cool
Dec 22, 2019 3:27 PM

Jan 2016
Oh this episode had more Pokemon Go vibes, it suited Go's character pretty well xD But honestly, Ash could have mentioned something from some of them (Caterpie, Pidgeotto)
THANKS SENPIEX
Dec 22, 2019 8:46 PM

Aug 2013
Curious as in the entire history of the series Gou be the first to want to complete the PokéDex (something completely normal in games). Scorbunny and he are still making a good team :).

Next episode Hoenn and Battle Frontier...
Dec 22, 2019 8:55 PM
Apr 2014
Subpar ep, just throwing pokeballs at everything and catching them with no effort, whens the girl supposed to get some screentime?
also no context needed

Dec 22, 2019 9:24 PM
May 2019
i kinda disappointed with Ash, he never mention about his past to Gou and not become mentor to Gou, Ash is no different to his past Gym leader friends that journey with him, they all idiot and so do Ash, how could someone like them become gym leader and become champion lol they dont have charisma

and the way Gou catch pokemon its absolutely referring Pokemon Go! lol, like nice and excellent why would that loli Rotom phone said that lmao

its easy to catch, maybe that area is level 1 pokemon lol
like they are just could easily beat with quick attack

and why they never meet Ash past friends even in Kanto, i doubt they will meet another Ash friend in Hoenn

Dec 22, 2019 9:28 PM
Jul 2016
NayRAW said:
why they never meet Ash past friends even in Kanto, i doubt they will meet another Ash friend in Hoenn

Because their Kanto base is in Vermilion City. And in this episode, they went to Vermilion Forest. The only possible cameo would be Surge.
Dec 22, 2019 10:05 PM
Aug 2019
NayRAW said:
why they never meet Ash past friends even in Kanto, i doubt they will meet another Ash friend in Hoenn

Wonder if May and Ash will meet
Dec 22, 2019 11:29 PM

May 2012
Go has caught more Pokemon in this episode than Ash has in entire seasons. Way to give Ash a run for his money lol. I'm curious how many of these catches will actually be on screen, cause there's gonna be A LOT of catching to do if Go is doing this.

Episode preview says that Ash and Go are gonna have to use two Pokemon when they enter the Battle Frontier challenge cup thing. I'm guessing Go is going to use Scorbunny and Scyther, but I'm interested to see what Ash will bring back since he hasn't caught anything new this season. Perhaps a lot of this season will be bringing back older Pokemon Ash has caught in the past. It also wouldn't surprise me if we see returns of Ash's old companions or other various cameos from old characters. Like, I'm not expecting May to just show up when they head to Hoenn next episode, but I'm betting she'll show up during one of their later visits. We got like 150-200 episodes to burn through before the next generation arrives, so it'll probably be awhile before companions get their episodes.
Dec 23, 2019 2:14 AM

Feb 2012
aro_s said:
i really hope that was ash's pidgeot oh my god

I swear i got hyped, when they teased the scene .... but what in the fookin fook up with these writers, satoshi im0 going to catch some GETS 0 while go gets the whole Kanto Bug set

Just like kukui said he doesnt catch pokemon they're more attracted to him like orphans
Dec 23, 2019 4:44 AM

Nov 2016
At this point the only thing I want from this anime is to know if the writers killed every other Pokémon from Ash, because the scene with Pidgeot was weird af, but we didn't get anything, the second episode with the Bulbasaur event, Ash could've used his Bulbasaur to evolve it and we got nothing, this episode with Ash's first catch being a Caterpie and probably the next episode is going to be Scorbunny and Pikachu even knowing that it should be 2 pokemon from the same trainer. Also, Ash did nothing in this episode, literally nothing not even tried to catch a single pokemon.

The new way to catch pokemon is great but honestly, no one is able to catch a Venomoth/Parasect/Beedrill/Pinsir/Scyther with a single POKE BALL and then a random VENONAT needs 2 balls to get caught, they should improve that aspect.
Dec 23, 2019 4:57 AM

Dec 2011
Go has caught more Pokemon than Ash in one season not counting Ash's Tauros.Ash has been also downgraded to a supportive role for now..
Dec 23, 2019 5:49 AM

Sep 2011
Gou went on a catching spree, and he certainly had an easy time too. Well, not with Kongpang and Strike, but he had. lol I guess none of these pokémon are going to become special to him though, they are just going to be left at that park. I liked how Koharu asked Gou about what happened to his dream of catching Mew first, and how they asked Satoshi what is a "Pokémon Master" by the way.
Dec 23, 2019 7:46 AM

Feb 2016
I think Go's pokeballs were Ultraballs in disguise xD. I wish it was that easy to catch pokemons lol.

"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Dec 23, 2019 10:32 AM
Mar 2019
If may doesn't show up I'm dropping this.
Dec 23, 2019 12:48 PM

Feb 2014
HereticHunter said:
I think Go's pokeballs were Ultraballs in disguise xD. I wish it was that easy to catch pokemons lol.

Great, Great, Nice, Great, Excellent...
Dec 23, 2019 2:00 PM

Dec 2018
Chazea said:

She most likely won't since the writers dont seem to care about continuity anymore. I bet we won't even see any of Ash's reserves and everything from Ash's past will probably be changed in some way from what actually happened.

Also don't expect Pidgeot to show up in the next episode or the ones that do will be disappointed since Ash will most likely be using his mom's Mr. Mime instead, despite it not being that interested in battles.

Dec 23, 2019 3:31 PM

Jul 2014
That was ridiculous... I know the anime is inspired by the games, whose mechanics are always changing, but catching Pokémon looks way too easy now while Ash is just useless. He still doesn't know shit, gets excited about anything like a child, never talks about the Pokémon he used to have, barely catches any new one and when he does, it's a starter, a bird or something lame. For a moment I thought Gou wouldn't be able to handle Scyther and Ash would have caught it instead, it would have made sense but nope.
Dec 23, 2019 4:57 PM
Jul 2018
What was that weird 1 sec Pidgeot scene? I got excited for a second, i tought that since ep 1 was Pikachu's backstory they might add more stuff they should have done years ago like a reunion with Pidgeot.
I guess this was just a tease.

Definitely the weakest episode so far, the entire episode being Gou catching pokemon way to easily was meh.
removed-userDec 23, 2019 5:03 PM
Dec 23, 2019 5:51 PM
Soaring

Aug 2014
Man what joke. This has to be one of the worst episodes in the entire series. And to think I was actually excited for this season. I can't believe I'm saying this but if this is the direction they're taking this season it will actually be worse than Best Wishes.

If I wanted to catch Pokemon to fill up a dex only to store them in a box I would just play the games. In the anime it's supposed to be a challenge to catch Pokemon after which you bond and become stronger together. Sure Ash caught 30 Tauros but at least he cared for them and even used one in battle a few times. If you're just going to catch Pokemon for your own selfish goals you're no better than Paul. Ash just going along with it and getting excited for no reason also feels very wrong. So far his character has felt very off this season, pretending to be a noob while actually being a champion, but hopefully they're building up to something.
Dec 23, 2019 8:00 PM
Jul 2016
After rewatching this episode with english subtitle, i think the chance of Ash using reserves in next episode is pretty slim. The secret Pokemon is probably the one Ash caught off-screen in this episode since they didn't show what kind of Pokemon Pikachu has find.
Dec 24, 2019 5:10 AM
Jul 2018
Do you can remember when Ash caught 30 Tauros, reminded me put that lol

FlyingDunsparce said:
If you're just going to catch Pokemon for your own selfish goals you're no better than Paul.

Actually I kinda liked him as character.
Gou also had (for a Pokemon anime character) a more interesting personality so far and hope he won't become a copy of Ash when he "learned his lesson" or anything.
Dec 24, 2019 11:28 AM

May 2014
Those Pokemon were very easy to catch. Just throw a ball and it's done, didn't need to weaken them or anything. I have to say i love how Gou has so many Pokemon already though.
Dec 24, 2019 11:48 AM

Oct 2017
Lol wth Go is catching pokemon left and right like it's nothing. Since when did pokeballs became masterballs.
Dec 24, 2019 4:07 PM
Aug 2016
kaitonic said:
Go has caught more Pokemon than Ash in one season not counting Ash's Tauros.Ash has been also downgraded to a supportive role for now..

And that's for the better, i'm kinda tired of Satoshi.
Dec 25, 2019 8:54 AM
Nov 2014
Ash did try to tell Go that he should battle them first. But yeah, there were a few missing opportunities. Ash could've mentioned Caterpie was his first pokemon too, for example.

Also, was that Pidgeot supposed to be Ash's? I thought we were gonna get a reunion but nothing came of it.

I'm starting to fear we might not get to see Ash's old pokemon in this series after all. Next episode will be a good chance, since Ash has to use 2 pokemon. Hopefully he uses a reserve.

-Asuka_Langley- said:
Chazea said:

She most likely won't since the writers dont seem to care about continuity anymore. I bet we won't even see any of Ash's reserves and everything from Ash's past will probably be changed in some way from what actually happened.

Ash's past hasn't changed, in episode 1 they showed us all the gym badges he's won, the Orange League Trophy, the Battle Frontier symbols and the Alola League Cup.
It's just that his past is not brought up like at all. I feel Pokemon is weird in this way, cause for one they do not want to move on to a different protagonist or truly reset Ash, but at the same time they want to make every new series easy to follow for those who didn't watch any previous series, so they keep the past references to a minimum.
I do fear we might not see Ash's older pokemon too, but hopefully we will.
Dec 25, 2019 12:40 PM

Dec 2014
Omg imagine every trainer going to wild like this and catching every pokemon. How tf some pokemon not go extinct? I actually feel bad for pokemon he caught. They are trapped in lab forever.
Dec 26, 2019 4:20 PM

Nov 2017
Gō catches Pokemon without weakening them! He thought he was in Pokemon GO! xD
Dec 28, 2019 4:46 PM

Mar 2019
I kinda don't like Go being a main character. (Change my mind) Hibunny was cute. Going to Hoenn gives me hope on returning characters.
Dec 28, 2019 9:30 PM

Dec 2018
I have a feeling theres going to be an outrage over the next episode about Ash's "surprise" Pokemon once it airs lmao.

Jan 4, 2020 3:02 PM

Mar 2014
Lol so that's how the "Nice!" "Great!" and "Excellent!" throws from Let's Go work in the show. I'm glad they brought up Gou's old dream of catching Mew first again because he dropped it really quick for Scorbunny. Wonder if he'll get a Shiny Charm when he catches every Pokemon lmao
Jan 11, 2020 6:56 AM
Jun 2013
I am watching episode 6 of Pokemon and I think that, in a way, they are doing what Ash/Satoshi was doing in the first season of pokemon series.

Ash/Satoshi, first tried to catch a pidgey, then Rattata, tries to catch another pokemon, by first hitting it with a rock, thinking it was a Pidgey, only to find out that it is a Spearow. Then all hell break lost as Ash/Satoshi is chased by Spearow and Fearow.

I could go further on, but you get the gist of the story.
Jan 14, 2020 5:50 PM

Aug 2019
Alvaritoterreos said:
the second episode with the Bulbasaur event, Ash could've used his Bulbasaur to evolve it and we got nothing

Why are people still expecting something like this when the mysterious garden episode from Kanto showed Ash's Bulbasaur clearly being against evolving? He made his decision not to evolve and that's that.
Jan 14, 2020 11:09 PM

Nov 2016
Shiva_Lorde said:
Alvaritoterreos said:
the second episode with the Bulbasaur event, Ash could've used his Bulbasaur to evolve it and we got nothing

Why are people still expecting something like this when the mysterious garden episode from Kanto showed Ash's Bulbasaur clearly being against evolving? He made his decision not to evolve and that's that.

I don't really care about Bulba not evolving, but I wanted it to be in this episode
Jan 19, 2020 9:08 PM
Jul 2018
This was a fun episode and a great way to start Go’s quest to catch them all. The Pokémon were pretty easy for him to catch (Scyther being the only exception) but they were bug types, so what do you expect?
Feb 2, 2020 4:43 PM

Jul 2012
how the hell...he caught so many and he's just a beginner? damn lool

Elyshion said:
Gō catches Pokemon without weakening them! He thought he was in Pokemon GO! xD
i think it's intentional since his name is "go" and his goal is to catch pretty much every pokemon lol
Jul 5, 2020 10:30 PM
Sep 2019
After watching this I wonder if they will ever make an episode where a character is obsessed with shiny hunting or perfect IV's Pokemon. That would be so fun to watch.
Oct 5, 2020 4:04 AM

May 2012
To be honest, as a diehard Pokémon anime fan, that never really hated one single episode... I hated this. I know many things are now based on Go and Let's Go gameplay (and I don't even like it because they are too simple to be applied into an anime), but this universe has some inside rules that can't be changed without saying anything:

- You have to weaken a Pokémon before catching them, or else he will easily slide out of your Poké Ball. Yes, I can convey that a simple launch may sometimes work, maybe with a weak Pokémon that doesn't give any resistance (like Caterpie or Weedle... even in the games you can catch some lv. 3 wild Pokémon with full health). But fully-evolved forms, like Butterfree? Particularly strong Pokémon, like Pinsir and Scyther? And both cases together, like Beedrill? Huh, no way. At least battle, and by "battle" I don't mean a single attack. Please show us some moves...

- Catching literally all the Pokémon without wanting to have them in your party and, even worse, without even wanting to make a bond with them, is considered evil or, at least, not good and nice. This universe is based on bonds that make things possible - like Megaevolutions, evolutions themselves, going beyond the limits, etc. Characters like Paul that used to do things like we normally do in videogames (e.g. catching many same-species Pokémon to select the strongest, then releasing the others) are AT LEAST considered unpleasant and disagreeable most of the times. Catching every Pokémon without making a bond is comparable to some sort of collectionist like Lawrence in The Power of One. Why is Goh now collecting Pokémon like cards or figurines, and everyone - even Ash, that discussed with Paul many times - is happy about that? That should not be suitable for a main characters. Not in absolutes, another anime or spin-off could do this without any problem. But I'm talking about THIS over1000episodes-universe.

Also, it was very boring to see him catching everything without a battle. It was just... collecting, and after the first 2 catches, everyone knew he was going to get them all. I mean, in the past you never knew how it was going to finish (Buizel, Yanma) or, at least, you could see some battles and emotions. Someone may argue that some past catches were similar and predictable, but there has always been space for improvement and new ways (see Poipole). While seeing Goh doing a no-battle, no-bond and no-emotions collection will just get more and more boring each episode.

And if you're asking no, I am not nostalgic, I am the strongest anti-nostalgic over here, I always enjoy new things and generations and love them all. Often I was the only one going giggles about a new gen while many people were nostalgic about the previous one. But going against a whole anime universe, is another pair of things.
IvanAipom93Oct 5, 2020 4:08 AM
Mar 26, 2021 10:44 PM
Nov 2017
I never thought Ash could become a side character!
Jul 9, 2021 2:11 AM

Jun 2015
Not a fan of the pokémon catching speedrun.
There was no satisfaction from any of these catches...
Oct 3, 2021 7:45 AM

Dec 2007
don't know about making goh an adaption of let's go game, kinda strange presenting that after so much seasons of pokemon presenting that pokemon needs to be weakened. but it was OK i guess.

the problem though is the fact that this mechanic didn't presented well in the anime, and this episode highlight it well enough - there wasn't much story here. hope we get to more story next episode than keeping the anime like this...

the scene with all the pokemon in the room was really LOL.

oh and the scene where the important question from season one was asked - what is it to be pokemon monster. needless to say it's seems even ash doesn't know what is it xDDD
May 17, 2022 7:02 PM

Jan 2020
This episode was some bullshit. Even if you assume Goh is the embodiment of the Pokemon Go game, and you don't necessarily battle to catch things. The fact that so many things were caught with a single ball is just unrealistic. Pokemon Go literally has a catching mechanic that relies on making the player waste as many balls as possible so as to make them purchase more. I don't know how many times, curve ball or not, I've lost numerous great and ultra balls on weak Pokemon.

Also, Goh just catching every Pokemon from that particular evolution line is frustratingly wasteful. Just evolve your stuff rather than waste all your box space on stuff you're probably not going to use in the first place.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pokemon (2019) Episode 5 Discussion

Ri22rk - Dec 15, 2019

36 by Hilskuuu »»
Apr 21, 9:11 AM

Poll: » Pokemon (2019) Episode 7 Discussion

Ri22rk - Dec 29, 2019

45 by leanrv »»
Mar 22, 6:17 AM

Poll: » Pokemon (2019) Episode 136 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ChirekachiMizu - Dec 16, 2022

60 by Nerdason »»
Mar 17, 9:46 PM

Poll: » Pokemon (2019) Episode 135 Discussion

FlyingDunsparce - Dec 9, 2022

20 by Nerdason »»
Mar 17, 9:03 PM

Poll: » Pokemon (2019) Episode 132 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

TiirList - Nov 11, 2022

153 by Nerdason »»
Mar 16, 1:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.