Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 29, 2019 1:59 AM

Oct 2018
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The episode was kinda lackluster, I'm glad they made a reference to the Detective Pikachu movie and Satoshi even did his sun and moon anime electroweb and iron tail combo but catching Pokémon in Go and Let's Go game style is unsatisfying in anime.

Highlight of the episode? Definitely Mr Mime.
Ri22rkDec 29, 2019 2:48 AM
Dec 29, 2019 5:48 AM
Jul 2016
Seeing Ash destroying everyone was so satisfying.
Dec 29, 2019 5:59 AM

Oct 2018
Because123 said:
Seeing Ash destroying everyone was so satisfying.
they don't want to disappoint anyone after amazing alola legue final match i guess, ash has not lost at all since then.
Dec 29, 2019 12:55 PM

Jan 2016
gou x Ash <3 + awesome Pikachu. Great mr. mime and funny
Dec 29, 2019 1:53 PM
May 2017
I really enjoyed this episode. Mimey was hilarious. I'm glad Ash wasn't reset. The Ash vs Hoji battle was really cool. I appreciate the fact that this series stands on it's own feet. Instead of going the easy way of relying on just continuity references.
Dec 29, 2019 1:54 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Good pokemon battle, Ash was great as always, only Gou need to improve, he's bad xD
Dec 29, 2019 4:06 PM
Jul 2017
I was hoping that Ash would use one of his old pokemon for this but I guess that's a bit unrealistic
Dec 29, 2019 4:24 PM

Dec 2015
Am I the only one who thinks that mr mime looks like he was smoking weed here?

Dec 29, 2019 4:43 PM

Aug 2013
There was too much speculation that Pokémon would use Ash, Mr. Mime ended up being a pleasant surprise.

Next episode until January 12...
Dec 29, 2019 7:00 PM

Mar 2015
this was just a random tournament, using the Battle Frontier name on this is just stupid.
Dec 29, 2019 7:56 PM
Sep 2016
The title had "Hoenn region" "Battle frontier" in it, and this is what we get, seriously??
No reunions, just one episode cameo is NOT what I wanted from Hoenn. This was totally unsatisfying. And what's up with this 'throw a pokeball, catch a pokemon thing'? I don't think I'll ever get used to this.
Only highlight of this epi was Mr. Mime [Barrierd]. The final battle was ok, but Satoshi's opponent was totally one-dimensional though.
2/5.
Dec 29, 2019 8:24 PM
May 2016
You know, Go. When you go around catching Pokémon Let’s Go style you are supposed to train them and form an actual team!

I hope from now on he learns a thing or two from Satoshi. Also, when is Satoshi supposed to be getting new team members? Does Mr. Mime count? I mean it’s technically his mum’s Pokémon but it looks like he’s sticking around. About time Ash has a competent psychic type on his team
Dec 29, 2019 9:03 PM
Feb 2014
It was refreshing to not have Ash be soooo unbearably bad at battles, Mr Mime took me by surprise :D that's a Pokemon Ash has never used and the fact that he used a Pokemon that he has never battled with that i can think of shows how much he has grown as a trainer... A lot of firsts for this Series. Loved it.
Dec 29, 2019 10:16 PM

Mar 2019
Mr. Mime was surprising this episode! I loved the electronic web sling shot
Dec 29, 2019 10:40 PM

May 2015
Are they really not gonna show any of Ash's past pokemon?
I get that Ash is always trying new strategys to improve him. But I really want to see a pokemon or character from a previous gen.
Dec 30, 2019 12:15 AM

Dec 2011
This episode was amazing. I just love to see Ash fighting so confidently and damn Mr Mime is no joke. Don't underestimate it xD
kaitonicDec 30, 2019 12:18 AM
Dec 30, 2019 2:59 AM

May 2014
Mr. Mime is getting a lot of spotlight. He is a fun Pokemon so that's fine with me. Nice to see him not being a Butler for Ashe's mum for a change.

Also shark teeth boy best boy.
Dec 30, 2019 4:14 AM

May 2009
I want to see more of Shark Teeth dude, he seems like a fun character. Ash is really unmatched by this point, I'm hoping he'll have a rematch with Alan as that's the only trainer that could possibly match him at this point. (Doubt it though)
ShoryuukenDec 30, 2019 4:21 AM
Dec 30, 2019 11:46 AM

Jun 2015
This episode was freakin adorable!!! I loved every second of it!!! So happy for Mr. Mime! It was so fun and funny - Pikachu's rage, the awesome battles, Mr. Mime's everything!! AAWWW!!
{~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~}
My favorite anime: Sailor Moon, Noragami, Kamisama Kiss, Carole & Tuesday, HunterxHunter, & Little Witch Academia.
{~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~}
Dec 30, 2019 3:44 PM

Jul 2014
This was a great episode filled with gags: Metapod, Mr. Mime's grin, Mightyena's ass, Hoji looking scary but being clumsy... And he's a cool character overall.
Otherwise, seeing Gou get destroyed was oddly satisfying to be honest, he's a bit too cocky in my opinion and I don't like the way he catches Pokémon like it's nothing. He has a lot to learn from Ash, whose battle wasn't amazing but still solid.

+ I loved the look on Wurmple's face when Ash said they were evolving.

Dec 30, 2019 8:23 PM
Mar 2019
Honestly what the hell is this? This doesn't feel like Pokemon. The entire episode was a huge disappointment. They had a chance to make it great. They should of had ash choose an old Pokemon instead of mr.mime. the battles are so boring. So they rush all the battles to have ash face against the guy but it holds no weight. Pikachu didn't even get a scratch. AND WHERE THE HELL IS MAY. THEY COULD OF ALEAST MADE A CAMEO.
Dec 30, 2019 11:30 PM

Jul 2013
Fun episode. I've always loved Pokemon for the gags and this season has been delivering it so far. Go continues to be a fantastic partner with Ash.

Scyther trying to give Go hints that it wants to battle was cute lol.

Detective Pikachu reference!

Ash sweeps the Glass Flute Cup which is great.

Go finally learns to appreciate Pokemon battles.

Ash fooling Go into believing his Wurmple was gonna evolve was cute and funny.

Dec 31, 2019 7:49 AM

Sep 2011
I love the effect that Satoshi is having over Gou. I mean, it was silly to sign him up for that kind of competition when he has no experience as a trainer. It almost ended up being traumatic too, but Satoshi asked him to watch his battle and it ignited a fire on Gou. Barrierd was the highlight here for sure by the way. His movements and faces were great, and I loved to see him taking the stage. Oh, and I liked Houji too. He looked like a "bad guy", but he was a cool, and kind of clumsy too, guy trying hard to look cool from his Hariteyama and slipping like that. xD I wasn't sure about the seemingly lack of direction/purpose this new season seemed to have at first, but this has real potential.
Jan 1, 2020 4:36 AM
Jul 2016
By the way, Ash's evolution joke at the end of this episode was a reference to Lana, wasn't it?
Jan 1, 2020 8:31 PM

Jan 2016
Oh, wasn't expecting Mr. Mime to battle xD I insist it's a wasted chance to bring back old Pokemon but again, there are times that Ash doesn't seem to mention something from the past regions they visit...

Oh well, Go's perspective will change from here onwards :P
THANKS SENPIEX
Jan 3, 2020 7:48 AM

Oct 2017
They went to Hoenn but we saw no one there, not even May. Is this a reboot after all, I'm still confused. Anyway Ash actually won the tournament and lol Go lost brutally.
Jan 4, 2020 3:32 PM

Mar 2014
Ouch, Gou's first loss and it was brutal. That's exactly why I don't like the competitive side to Pokemon.

Ash won another trophy and a set of Glass Flutes to add to his trophy collection lol
Jan 5, 2020 2:28 AM
Jul 2016
Pokemon Anime's official twitter has stated that Mr. Mime/Barrierd is Ash's in one of their tweet.
Quote from their tweet: "Satoshi's Barrierd"
https://twitter.com/anipoke_PR/status/1213701662960803841
Jan 5, 2020 5:46 AM
Jul 2019
LookItsBat_ said:
I was hoping that Ash would use one of his old pokemon for this but I guess that's a bit unrealistic
anikevin said:
Are they really not gonna show any of Ash's past pokemon?
I get that Ash is always trying new strategys to improve him. But I really want to see a pokemon or character from a previous gen.
The series is just getting started and you expect Ash to meet his old companions and pokemons???.We're just at episode 8 so chill out bro
Jan 6, 2020 6:54 PM
Apr 2016
ExodiaX said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The episode was kinda lackluster, I'm glad they made a reference to the Detective Pikachu movie and Satoshi even did his sun and moon anime electroweb and iron tail combo but catching Pokémon in Go and Let's Go game style is unsatisfying in anime.

Highlight of the episode? Definitely Mr Mime.

What was the Detective Pikachu reference?
Jan 7, 2020 3:57 AM

Oct 2018
@Hinata_Aries it was mr mime expressions which were same as mr mime from detective pikachu movie, there are some posts made about this too, that movie was a success so after seeing how popular was mr mime they decided to do this in anime too.
Jan 8, 2020 7:08 AM

Aug 2016
Mr Mime has the game face down
Jan 11, 2020 9:10 AM

Jun 2008
Is the show on a break? It's been weeks now.
Jan 11, 2020 10:36 AM

Oct 2018
Valandis said:
new year break, new episode will air tomorrow.
Jan 11, 2020 12:45 PM

Jun 2008
ExodiaX said:
Valandis said:
new year break, new episode will air tomorrow.

Thanks! I tried to find this out myself, but couldn't manage to find any schedule.
Jan 12, 2020 1:11 AM
Jan 2020
Is episode 8 out yet I'm waiting desprately
Jan 12, 2020 12:58 PM
May 2017
Pokemon987 said:
Is episode 8 out yet I'm waiting desprately

It's out now. you might've noticed that already though.
Jan 19, 2020 8:50 PM
Jul 2018
I loved this episode because it reminds us how dominant of a trainer Ash has become. He didn’t win the Alola League for no reason. Man, only he can make Mr. Mime look cool. I wish Go would put up a bit more of a fight, but it is what it is.
Feb 2, 2020 8:47 PM

Jul 2012
Mr Mime is so awesome!

Also I agree with this:
johnrouguine said:
I loved this episode because it reminds us how dominant of a trainer Ash has become. He didn’t win the Alola League for no reason. Man, only he can make Mr. Mime look cool. I wish Go would put up a bit more of a fight, but it is what it is.

I'm proud of our son, Ash.
Jun 24, 2020 8:28 PM
Aug 2017
This just shows Ash’s experience and his level man, Go underestimated pokemon battles thinking all technica like that. Also he did that electro web iron tail combo like he did in SnM that was a nice addition.

Also I feel like this series is going to be slow and all that because this Researcher fellow premise like man when is Ash gonna catch a new pokemon??? Were 7 eps in and still nothing
Sep 2, 2020 7:16 AM
Jul 2018
Honestly, I was hoping Ash would use one of his older Pokemon but that's pretty unlikely '^^
Thought I would really love to see an episode where Gou meets some of Ash's old Pokemon/companions (again, quite unlikely but I'm still pretty early in!)
Secondly, I know a bunch of people already brought this up, but seeing Ash win was genuinely really satisfying and quite a fun match. Since he always seems to do that thing where he loses to some newbie trainer and their starter, I almost half expected him to lose//
Overall, pretty good episode!
+ I totally gained new respect for Mr.Mime and will most likely try to catch one in my next play through
Nov 20, 2020 11:59 AM
Jun 2017
My God. I watch season 1 in parallel and it's so satisfying to see such an strong Ash who win his match so easily ! 😎
However he don't make any references to what he did at hoenn as usual, it'll perfect if he does it every time and the daughter of the new professor, why is she so random?? She's only appearing like 1 min per episode
Oct 4, 2021 11:17 AM

Dec 2007
the episode started stating they are going to hoen. to the battle frontier. we may got hoen pokemon, but didn't got any older character or hoen references. we got into battle frontier but we didn't get any facility but some random tournament.

so what we did get?

new character with weird style. i get the feeling OLM is concentrate a lot on comedy this series than usual.

goh trying his luck in his first pokemon battle. and failed. and instead getting cheered by ash he will get stronger, he ran away.

ash showing us what he got after so many regions and what he's really made of.
it was great especially after i noticed most episodes 'till now concentrated more on goh than ash, and ash started more and more feel like the comedic side-character, this episode kinda broke it.

not that i'm against goh, but i think his character development is kinda slow.
i do want to see more of him, but in better way

4/5
Jan 24, 2022 2:51 AM

Aug 2017
i just hope they stop with how easy they let Go catch the pokemon bruh at least put some effort
Apr 9, 2022 1:02 PM

Nov 2013
I'm really liking this series of Pokemon, and this episode has been the best so far.

It was very satisfying to see Go losing so fast, because he's just a beginner, while Ash won the tournament by beating the guy who stomped Go, because Ash is the experienced trained, so this seems like a strong sign that this season will be more mature than the others in terms of what determines the winner in each battle.
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Mar 22, 6:17 AM
Oct 2017
Gou tried to skip the main campaign and go straight to the Battle Frontier while taking it easy. Thought he could depend on type advantage but of course trainers here are high level and have good type coverage so he got crushed.
Had some good laughs at Mr Mime's creepy face followed by his quick getaway. He knew he was at a disadvantage (Dark beats Psychic) so he up and left.
Feel like people are being too hard on this series just because they were expecting some kind of big reunion with old companions and Pokemon, but it's been like 20 years since the OG series so I don't know if the creators can really rely on the audience to remember stuff from all that time ago, especially anything post Kanto.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pokemon (2019) Episode 5 Discussion

Ri22rk - Dec 15, 2019

36 by Hilskuuu »»
Apr 21, 9:11 AM

Poll: » Pokemon (2019) Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ri22rk - Dec 22, 2019

51 by leanrv »»
Mar 19, 5:09 PM

Poll: » Pokemon (2019) Episode 136 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ChirekachiMizu - Dec 16, 2022

60 by Nerdason »»
Mar 17, 9:46 PM

Poll: » Pokemon (2019) Episode 135 Discussion

FlyingDunsparce - Dec 9, 2022

20 by Nerdason »»
Mar 17, 9:03 PM

Poll: » Pokemon (2019) Episode 132 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

TiirList - Nov 11, 2022

153 by Nerdason »»
Mar 16, 1:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.