Forum Settings
Forums

Do you rate anime technically or your own feelings about it?

New
Subjectively or Objectively
Nov 19, 2019 6:06 AM

Feb 2019
I don't know sometimes I see people give incredibly directed shows a 1/10 and I ask myself why on earth is that so. And sometimes I see terribly directed shows rated 10/10 and I really ask myself why on earth is that really so. 😐😣
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 19, 2019 6:10 AM

Sep 2012
I used to give higher scores for shows I didn't like all that much but could see the artistic merit of, but I've started just rating things based on if it bores me or excites me :p
Nov 19, 2019 6:18 AM

Jul 2016
1 - 5: I hate a single character or multiple characters so much that they ruin my enjoyment of the show. This range is based on intensity, regardless of the actual number of characters.

6: The execution has problems.

7: Good execution, too much teasing things I wanted to happen.

8: Fulfilled things I wanted to happen, but not all of them.

9: I expected it to fulfill everything, but it lead me on and didn't convey to me where the line was.

10: Dream anime. (I have many dream anime already.)
Nov 19, 2019 7:12 AM

Oct 2019
I am an idiot in objectivity in anime, I just check my wow factor and rate
Nov 19, 2019 7:17 AM
we back

Aug 2015
Neither. I personally feel like it's pointless rating anime.
Nov 19, 2019 8:07 AM

Jun 2008
I rate based on my own enjoyment. It doesn't matter if it's technically "good" or not. For example, is Sorcerous Stabber Orphen a masterpiece? Hell no! Did I rate it a 10/10? Hell yes!
Nov 19, 2019 8:10 AM

Jul 2016
CHAMPIONOFDEATH said:

I feel like rating should be required to mark something complete on your list.
Nov 19, 2019 8:16 AM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
I rate after the show is over or have been watching like 18+ episodes. Though I don't really understand those who rate it immediately after 1 episode. Like it can go to hell after like 5 episode which is quite common in my opinion. Also why are people writing reviews so quickly? Like watched 1-2 episodes and writes a 1000 word review. The f*ck...
Today, I may be a weak little bug that gets tossed in the wind,
washed away by the currents, and drowns, but tomorrow,
I may become the butterfly that spreads its colossal wings and flies the open skies!

~ Oe Kintaro
Nov 19, 2019 8:19 AM
we back

Aug 2015
IpreferEcchi said:
CHAMPIONOFDEATH said:

I feel like rating should be required to mark something complete on your list.

But why though? I've found some form of enjoyment in just about every anime I've watched, so I just find it unnecessary to try and attach a rating to them.
Nov 19, 2019 8:20 AM

Dec 2016
There's no such thing as "rating objectively". Even if you put aside all of your personal feelings and biases of any kind towards a work, and you only consider the technical "measurable" aspects.... you're still rating from a subjective standpoint.
Nov 19, 2019 8:21 AM
Jul 2018
I just don't have a critical mindset when it comes to experiencing media, so...why rate anime based on that?
Nov 19, 2019 8:22 AM

Jul 2016
CHAMPIONOFDEATH said:
But why though? I've found some form of enjoyment in just about every anime I've watched, so I just find it unnecessary to try and attach a rating to them.

I just think it should be compulsory the same way that voting in politics should be compulsory.

Everyone's opinion should be measured by a recorded number.
Nov 19, 2019 8:24 AM
Aug 2018
Most anime that I would rate 1-4 are usually dropped within the first episode or two and never make it onto MAL. For 5-9, after watching a show a though of "this was X" (this was good, this was average, this was great etc) and use that for the rating.

For 10s I usually reserve for something I view as special. (E.g. violet evergarden and HxH 2011 while not the first anime I watched, it was after them that I became far more of an avid fan. Hikaru no Go on the other hand helped introduce me to Go which I now play regularly.)

So overall, a very subjective rating.
Nov 19, 2019 8:24 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Just give up this objectivity nonsense already, sheesh
Nov 19, 2019 8:27 AM

May 2019
I say mine is like 90% subjective (enjoyment, characters, scenario) and 10% objective (mostly just animation).
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Nov 19, 2019 8:27 AM

Jun 2016
I rate it based upon my enjoyment of it as well as how likely I would go back to it and consume it in other ways. If I enjoy a show It gets a higher rating. If the show took me more then a month (dosent count for ongoing shows) I typically give it a lower score because I mostly completed it cause the competition in me demanded it. Then there are the shows that are rated low because I was dared to watch them. Oh how i hate my friends at times.
Nov 19, 2019 8:28 AM
we back

Aug 2015
IpreferEcchi said:
CHAMPIONOFDEATH said:

I just think it should be compulsory the same way that voting in politics should be compulsory.

Everyone's opinion should be measured by a recorded number.

It's funny that you bring up voting in politics, because that is something else I don't take part in. When it comes to rating anime though I don't really agree. There are people that watch anime but don't even know what this website is, so either way, you won't have the entirety of peoples opinion.
Nov 19, 2019 8:30 AM

Jul 2016
CHAMPIONOFDEATH said:
It's funny that you bring up voting in politics, because that is something else I don't take part in. When it comes to rating anime though I don't really agree. There are people that watch anime but don't even know what this website is, so either way, you won't have the entirety of peoples opinion.

But people should care about completeness instead of incompleteness. If you can, you must.
Nov 19, 2019 8:37 AM

Jun 2019
A mixture of both, with adding more attributes like memorability, impact and other deviations of my "feelings" towards that show.

About your opinions you've mentioned, people have their own rating systems. Scores are just mere numbers, it doesn't have to be an accurate way of conveying what you and others feel about a certain show and it certainly doesn't have to interfere with differences and similarities of yours and someone else's taste.

ブレ
ブレ
ブレ
ブレ

Nov 19, 2019 1:35 PM

Aug 2018
Objective criticism can only exist within set boundaries and is largely unhelpful to larger or more personal debates. True objective criticism might not even exist and usually is actually the product of a majority mindset.
That being said some people will parade the idea of thinking critically toward art or having a consideration for the technical side of as an attempt at objective criticism. These people fail to recognize that an individual's appreciation of a work of art at a technical level is still completely subjective to his/her opinions and personal tastes/interests as well as their understanding of what they believe art should be. They also don't understand that at least a certain degree of critical thinking is involved in the process of experiencing art and that they themselves are most likely still looking at said work of art through a critical lens even if it is the most basic understanding of quality a human can posses and rarely if ever is that actually the case.
Usually it's just people saying that don't view art critically and actually meaning that they completely ignore anything that might doesn't reinforce their overall impression and grade a work based solely on just its strengths or just its weaknesses that did/didn't appealed to them personally. Which on a personal level is fine, but it's not technically scoring a work of art when you refuse to take the entire piece in consideration and only score the parts you liked/didn't care for instead.
Nov 19, 2019 1:44 PM
Aug 2015
Both.

I consider that the principle of "MYanimelist" is that it has to be personal, so of course my personal enjoyment will be the biggest criteria (and I'm not arrogant enough to consider that I can rate things objectively)

But at the same time I try to include more rational criterias in the equation.
I do something like:

Score = 0.5*[Personal Enjoyment + 0.25*(Visuals + Audio + Characters + Plot)]

Simply put, Personal Enjoyment = 50%, """ Objective """" (really not that objective) criterias = 50%
Nov 19, 2019 2:14 PM

Aug 2018
My personal enjoyment is based on objective stuff (animation, story, complexity and cool shit), sooo, both!
Nov 19, 2019 2:24 PM

Aug 2018
TheAskald said:
Both.

I consider that the principle of "MYanimelist" is that it has to be personal, so of course my personal enjoyment will be the biggest criteria (and I'm not arrogant enough to consider that I can rate things objectively)

I do something like:

Simply put, Personal Enjoyment = 50%, """ Objective """" (really not that objective) criterias = 50%

I think your math might be off quite a bit there but if I understand correctly then you feel very similar to me in that when rating a show you like to use both your feeling and thinking sides of the brain but still lean toward the feeling side. I'm sorry if I'm picking on you but after that paragraph I wrote above I've been put in the mood to debate the potential value of opinions formed using only the predominantly artistic side while trying their best to ignore the rational one. In your personal opinion can such an approach have merit or is it merely the byproduct of people incapable or unwilling to look at a work of art outside of the stimulation it provides? Again sorry if this broad a topic would take more thought than you care to put into it but I really feel like discussing it with someone and think it will be easier to do with somebody who shares some common ground towards the matter.
You can say you aren't interested or just give your overall impression if you like, I was just hoping to get lucky I guess.
Nov 19, 2019 2:30 PM

Aug 2016
I try to find a middle ground between both, because honestly I don'think it's even possible to be fully objective about a series, unless you don't really feel anything for it in the first place.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Nov 19, 2019 2:35 PM

Jun 2019
I would say that the most accurate way to sum it up is that I primarily rate based off of personal feelings about it, but I don't (or at least try not to) completely sideline and ignore the technical prowess or lack thereof demonstrated. An example of what, in my view, is terrible or lackluster writing, music, or animation may take up to a point or two away (subtracting) from an anime I loved in accordance with my scoring system. And likewise, an example of, in my view, technically excellent writing, music, or animation even in an anime I largely didn't care for, will at least earn it a point or two more than it otherwise would've gotten.

Even judging what constitutes technical excellence though as far as what should be more objective categories in line with consensus comes down to somewhat subjective factors though. And just because there is a consensus view on something, the majority view, it doesn't really make that view in and of itself right or objective. It's veering into the realm of philosophy and pedantry, but even if 999 out of 1,000 people agree that the animation in series A is better from a technical standpoint than the animation in series B, does that factually make it so? How do you really gauge or quantify something which, unlike a mathematical equation, ultimately comes down to preference?

There are just types of music or lack of it, acting, animation, writing styles, etc. that "feel" more cheap, lazy, and/or rushed to me, but I admit that I can't prove they actually are (unless you look into the budget allocated for respective shows and judge it based off monetary value).
WatchTillTandavaNov 19, 2019 2:43 PM
Nov 19, 2019 2:51 PM

Feb 2010
I find the distinction to be implausible and flawed from the start.

I mean obviously MY scores are gonna represent how I feel about a show. But in that world is how I feel about a show not heavily dependent on 'technical' factors like writing, animation quality, humour, direction, cinematography etc....?

Any show is literally made up out of a billion elements, most of which can be subject to a technical analysis, so to me it is absurd to even phrase the question like it has to be one or the other.

If you rate based on how you feel you rate based on technical aspects, that's just how it inherently works. You can't just abstractly consume a story without having to perceive it through 'technical' aspects like directing and animation, which will shape your perception and by extension your opinion of that show, of that viewing experience. It's not even theoretically possible to not rate based on technical aspects. You can just lack conscious awareness of them. But it's comparable to gravity - even if you aren't aware of the concept, it still pulls you in nonetheless.

In the other direction it is theoretically possible to only score based on technical aspects and their neutral evaluation, but in reality that is just as impossible. Noone can really set their biases and preferences apart and score a show completely independent of their own feelings. People can try and they can definitely get closer to it than people who aren't even trying (it's not a black or white thing, but rather a scale) but in the end human nature is inherently subjective and to seperate yourself from that is impossible, at least as far as we know with our current technology.

So the question/distinction is bogus in the first place and gives people a wrong, binary view of how enjoyment works.

The real question is wheter people CARE, whether they pay attention to or even think about WHY they feel about a show in a certain way. The relationship between technical aspects and enjoyment is ALWAYS there, it's only a matter of whether people are aware of it or not, if they understand which technical aspects contribute or take away from their enjoyment, and in which ways.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 19, 2019 3:22 PM
Jan 2019
I tend to rate more objectively. If I see the merit in the artistic value of an anime, I will rate it higher than an anime I enjoyed slightly more that was not as critically good. An example of this on my list is that I have Serial Experiments Lain rated higher than something like Haganai. I enjoyed Haganai more than Lain, but the feeling I got from watching Haganai was nothing compared to the feeling I got watching SEL. Lain is incredible. Haganai is fun, but not as good. This is a terrible explanation, but it is the best way I can describe it.
Nov 19, 2019 3:23 PM

Oct 2008
I give interesting shows 7/10 to 10/10. While I give entertaining shows 4/10 to 7/10.

The best and purest entertaining show I watched is either "Junketsu no Maria" or "Sasami-san@Ganbaranai". Just fun, relaxing and easy to swallow.

The best and favorite shows are my two 10/10s.
Nov 19, 2019 4:36 PM

Jul 2011
Both. I really can't be 100% objective.

Nov 19, 2019 5:19 PM

Jun 2019
Both. Mainly subjective, but with some objective analysis sprinkled in. The objective part mainly comes into play with shows I really don't or really do like.

Here are some details on my interpretation of the ratings.

1: Absolutely disgusting and hard to watch, with almost no redeeming qualities.

2:Same as 1, but there're some redeeming qualities or a reasonable excuse for why it's so bad.

3: Awful and disgusting, but bearable to watch with at least something to enjoy.

4: Painfully boring, with some unpleasant qualities, or just general cheapness.

5: Mediocre; neither good nor bad.

6: Decent, but not noticeably good.

7: The most generic "good" possible.

8: Definitely good.

9: Flawed, but grabbed my attention and made me feel something while watching.

10: Doesn't exist, nothing is perfect.

I think there're plenty of shows that fall between two of these scores. If I feel they do, I'll give them that score in my review.
Nov 19, 2019 5:50 PM

May 2018
Purely subjective because criteria on what makes a good anime is my own judgement.
Nov 19, 2019 8:49 PM

May 2019
I rate objectively. My standard is "how long is the OP?" I measure this down to the nearest hectosecond. Every anime is then comparatively ranked based on how precisely long their OPs are. The longer the OP, the higher the score. To get a precise, objective scoring system, I fit my scores to a normal distribution with a median of 5.5 and a standard deviation of 2, so that that 68% of anime land between a 3.5 and a 7.5. This system is, of course, objective, because it doesn't take my feelings into account at all. It's facts over feelings.

Don't actually look at my profile though. This is definitely not satire that's dunking on the concept of objectively rating art.
Nov 19, 2019 9:29 PM

Mar 2012
I rate based on a sliding scale of objectivity and subjectivity. I can overlook flaws if the anime does something with its characters or narrative that moved me in some way.

For example, Angel Beats is flawed as hell, but I rated it a 10 because it impacted me in a way very few anime have ever done. Even though I knew it was flawed, I couldn’t muster giving it less than a 10 because it deserves better than the anime I have rated an 8-9.

Then there are some anime where I recognize they’re great, but I just couldn’t give it a 9-10. For example, Fate/Zero. I know Fate/Zero is by definition a great anime, but by the time I completed it, I was bored of it. It didn’t really capture me like it captured a lot of people. It wasn’t even really a 2deep4u series...I just had a hard time getting invested in the characters. Although, I will admit that Kirei is one of the most badass anime villains I’ve ever watched...it’s just a shame I couldn’t give a rat’s ass about...well, any of the other characters...well...except for maybe Rider.

A more recent example would be Kimetsu no Yaiba. I saw people gushing about how great it is and people said it would be the shounen that redefines the genre. I watched it. It was good. It wasn’t a masterpiece or even great, but it was a pretty alright series. It did have breathtaking animation, but outside of that, it had some problems that weighed it down. Primarily...the comic relief characters. Yeah, I’m just going to come out and say it...I thought Kimetsu no Yaiba had the most annoying comic relief characters of any shounen I’ve ever watched. I’d rather marathon the entire Naruto franchise in a week than listen to Zenitsu and Inosuke have a conversation for five more minutes. I almost want to buy a Zenitsu body pillow just so I can throat punch it anytime that worthless POS comes on screen.
Nov 19, 2019 10:02 PM

Jul 2016
Almost purely objectively or at least as close as I can get it to be. It's not that difficult to determine when an anime has a lot of problems with it's writing or whether it's doing a good job executing what it set out to do. My enjoyment of a show is the aspect that determines whether I would recommend a show though as well as how long it would stick with me. There's also the aspect as to the purpose of the show. I enjoyed the hell out of several shows I rated 5/10 (mediocre to average) since I know they don't try to be anything more than they are and just want you to have a good time. If someone rates a show higher/lower than I did I could see why they did so since the anime would have aspects they would enjoy. It's just that I consider those aspects to be of less/more importance than others when considering how good a show is.

Nov 19, 2019 10:06 PM
Jul 2018
If I cared enough about scores, I'd most likely have tried to make my ratings more objective by defining dimensions and creating a rubric around them. The advantage of doing this is that one dimension of a show can never outweigh other dimensions by a lot. If, for example, my rating formula gave a 10% weight to direction, then no matter how much I hate/love the direction, it'll only affect the score by a point.

Having said that, since I do not think my scores on an anime DB website have high enough stakes for me to go all scientific, I will continue to rate arbitrarily. That does not mean that I might not be considering any technical aspects of the show in my score (since the technicals contribute to enjoyment), but that there are no fixed weights.
Nov 19, 2019 10:14 PM

Oct 2018
when I don't like an anime I rate it based on technicality ......
“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Nov 19, 2019 11:05 PM
Aug 2015
Bebop_Hakusho said:
TheAskald said:
Both.

I do something like:

I think your math might be off quite a bit there but if I understand correctly then you feel very similar to me in that when rating a show you like to use both your feeling and thinking sides of the brain but still lean toward the feeling side. I'm sorry if I'm picking on you but after that paragraph I wrote above I've been put in the mood to debate the potential value of opinions formed using only the predominantly artistic side while trying their best to ignore the rational one. In your personal opinion can such an approach have merit or is it merely the byproduct of people incapable or unwilling to look at a work of art outside of the stimulation it provides? Again sorry if this broad a topic would take more thought than you care to put into it but I really feel like discussing it with someone and think it will be easier to do with somebody who shares some common ground towards the matter.
You can say you aren't interested or just give your overall impression if you like, I was just hoping to get lucky I guess.

My math isn't off, simply put it's equal to:
Personal Enjoyment 50%
Visuals 12.5%
Audio 12.5%
Characters 12.5%
Plot (including pacing, themes, ideas...) 12.5%

About your question, there's no such thing as looking at a work of art outside of the stimulation it provides. Anyone pretending to rate things objectively is simply saying that his/her way of thinking is objective, or is just borrowing the subjective standards of other persons, that are considered to be wise or something.

I don't really understand what it means to an approach to have "merit". In my opinion our rating don't have any other value, than simply keeping a trace of our favorite and less favorite anime, and to establish an average score, for guiding the community (avoiding the turds, and noticing the gems)
Nov 19, 2019 11:46 PM

Apr 2017
I just rate anime and manga on my enjoyment. The only times I take stuff like art and music(etc.) into consideration is when the anime gets to boring that my attention span changes and those few things become evidently clear or they are masterpieces.

my rating system

With bnha(i gave season 1 a 4), deku entirely ruined the show for me and it at points it was so hard to watch but i still gave it a decent score because plot wise the show was fine. Plus I liked bakugou
Some shows like ditf were OK but some factors just ruined it entirely, that I gave it a 1.
Then there are shows like Devils Line that absolutely disgust me.

My system is all over the place, usually rate things on pure feelings and give it bonuses if the art, music, characters, etc were really breathtaking. If I didn't enjoy it, it was trash but i'll still try to find something I did enjoy(if there was any). If I love it, I love it. If it was boring, it was boring.
I do however need to rewatch shows, just so they fit my current feelings/rating system.
Nov 19, 2019 11:49 PM

Apr 2013
I rate purely by my own enjoyment, there is no way to rate entertainment objectively.
Nov 19, 2019 11:52 PM

Feb 2013
i am a responsible adult who rates anime objectively by the amount of cute girls
Nov 19, 2019 11:56 PM
Demon Venerable

Apr 2018
TheZilla said:
I don't know sometimes I see people give incredibly directed shows a 1/10 and I ask myself why on earth is that so. And sometimes I see terribly directed shows rated 10/10 and I really ask myself why on earth is that really so. 😐😣

Ofc. on own feelings. What's the point of rating show objectively? It's ''my'' anime list. Not some1 else.
Why u should even care and complain about some1 else list or ratings? It's ''his'' anime list, not yours...
It's not appropriate questioning someone's taste.
Nov 20, 2019 5:45 AM
Mar 2018
I rate an Anime on how it makes me feel and how it affected me at that time.

I rated Konosuba a 10/10 purely because it was one of the first media that I consumed that consistently made me laugh audibly.
Nov 20, 2019 9:42 AM

Aug 2018
There's no such thing as objective rating anyway but here's my point. "Objective" way of rating is supposed to consider only the factual technical quality of the show - plot, story, characters, animation, soundtrack etc etc. And while it's impossible to even estimate the objective quality of the show I still think that it's impossible to have fully subjective (in the sense of enjoyment-only) rating system since technical quality almost always influences one's ratings and it doesn't matter if one consciously counts it in their ratings or not. It still has an impact - shows with higher factual quality are more likely to get higher rating. It's not a rule of course but it's what happens in almost all of the cases imo.

Personally I love rating things so I have spent a lot of time developing my own tier list ranking system. It's main point is that the rating consists of two components: estimation of factual quality and overall impression - so it's like subjective objectiveness and fully subjective part. Both matter a lot and they complement each other - impression matters a lot cause even shows with flawed composition can get high ratings if the impression they made on me was strong enough - however shows with strong composition that didn't manage to make a good impression on me are highly unlikely to achieve that. However flawed composition also significantly worsens the impression for me since I value compositional integrity a lot so it's very unlikely for a show with significant flaws in technical part to get high rating from me. Full system description is in my profile though I doubt there will be anyone interested.
FallenCrusaderNov 20, 2019 9:52 AM
Nov 20, 2019 10:56 AM

May 2009
I'm not sure there's a comprehensive way to "rate something technically". If you give the same weight to the same aspects for every show, that neglects the fact that different shows work in different ways.

For example, plot continuity and plot details are very important in some stories but doesn't really matter much in others, and even for stories where plot continuity does matter a lot, plot discontinuity can be storytelling device intentionally used to create a certain perception of or reaction to the story, such as to leave the interpretation of an event up to the audience to preserve mystique or to reflect the characters' understanding of the event.

So I think it's more important to look at the story as a whole, to ask why I enjoyed/didn't enjoy it and what I did or didn't enjoy about it, and start my assessment from the actual result of my experience with the story and try to explain that experience -- rather than trying to set up some "objective" rubric by which the thing should be stodgily evaluated. This isn't an essay on an exam paper (i.e. something trying to serve a very specific purpose); this is art. How I feel about it is is very much a result of how well its storytelling worked, for me.

Besides, these are my ratings. Why shouldn't I let them reflect my own opinions? It's sort of a waste if I simply use them to try to reflect a judgement that isn't mine. For example, "I love this show, but it isn't really that great..." well who said "it isn't really that great" anyway? If I have my own misgivings, my score can reflect that; if I don't have my own misgivings, then that's someone else's idea and my score shouldn't reflect it.
GlennMagusHarveyNov 20, 2019 11:45 AM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Nov 20, 2019 11:41 AM
Apr 2012
Almost entirely subjective

The more something bugs me about it lowers the score and I rarely have below 5 because at that point I'd probably drop it. Now I mean bugs as in, makes me want to watch it less. Now if something provokes me to watch it more, like say well done world building/characters development. It's it an 8(unless something else brings it back down like really annoying characters traits) Ift's entertaining while doing that, it's a 10. Like Made in Abyss and Katanagatari. It's mainly lasting impression and entertainment.

If it's entertaining I'll watch it and it's above a 5 if it's not entertaining it's either dropped or below 5.

I've got to say though, Characters play a huge part in my score probably like 60% of my enjoyment comes from them. Which is probably why gachas work.
HeartyaceNov 20, 2019 12:59 PM
Nov 20, 2019 12:10 PM
Dec 2018
I do care about scores, and I feel many base their watchlist based on the scores. So when I rate an anime, I base it on enjoyment and how emotionally connected I felt with it. Anyone with a similar taste to mine would probably find the ratings useful. But I do love to explain why I love or hate a particular anime, in which I'll cover the technical aspects. That is actually for the person I'm recommending anime to, whose taste is different from mine. Technicality is something which I feel should be separate from the rating, it should just mention your findings and let the reader decide if it interests him/her.
Nov 20, 2019 12:32 PM
Oct 2019
Yes at the end the day its subjective, people have different taste in anime. When you hate it, give low score and when you like it give high score.
Nov 21, 2019 6:49 AM

Oct 2015
As it happens, the technical stuff do affect my feelings, so the whole question is moot.

@GlennMagusHarvey is absolutely right. No matter how objective you may want to be, the weight you assign to specific aspects of a piece of media depending on its type will be the product of your own judgement which holds no objective merit.
Nov 21, 2019 7:06 AM

Mar 2019
I give them the score how much I enojoyed it all together...it's like my own enjoyment of it, not how good it is.
Nov 21, 2019 7:12 AM
May 2018
It's "MY" anime list. Technically speaking,I can rate any and every anime that I have seen or not any scores I want. I don't feel anyone needs to justify their scores to anyone. That being said,my scores are mostly blend of subjective & objective.
If I love a series despite their flaws then personal bias will come into play and if I don't have much emotional connection to a series that is good and well produced then the scores will be objective since I have no personal bias.
Example, Black Clover, O.R. - 6/10, M.R. - 8/10 and MHA - O.R. - 7.5/10, M.R. - 7/10.
Here,O.R. - objective rating and M.R. my rating/score.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 7 hours ago

13 by epidemia78 »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 7 minutes ago

0 by ST63LTH »»
7 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase? ( 1 2 )

Catalano - Apr 25

52 by LNW_R92CP »»
7 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 10 hours ago

25 by Miyamotodex23 »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Have y'all seen Rainbow?

MillerEvans23 - 2 hours ago

8 by Kruszer »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.