Forum Settings
Forums

Anime where you like the concept, but not the execution?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Nov 21, 2019 7:50 PM
BL Connoisseur

Oct 2008
Houseki no Kuni and Mahoutsukai no Yome. Both have INCREDIBLY beautiful worlds and lore that were wasted because of the subpar execution. The art was beautiful, the settings were beautiful, even the plot itself is amazing - all destroyed by extremely annoying and horrible MCs (i.e. Phos and Chise, respectively). Severely disappointed in those two.

I am forever your most devoted believer.

Nov 21, 2019 8:13 PM

Feb 2019
@gwendal738 That's a shame, have not seen those, but I can feel the disappointment through the post.
Nov 21, 2019 8:21 PM

Sep 2017
rommelcedric said:
Superns18 said:

I'm gonna watch that this week, thanks for reminding me, was it anime original? Sometimes you have those issues unfortunately with those types.
I believe it adapted from a manga. I haven't read it yet. I might, now that I think about it.

No, it is definitely original. The manga is an adaptation of the anime. Whether or not it's paced any different Idk.
Nov 21, 2019 8:29 PM

Nov 2019
Fire force: I feel like the pacing is super off and the tonal changes don’t really work. It’s all moving v fast and I haven’t really found myself caring for any of the characters/ emotional moments.
Nov 21, 2019 8:32 PM
Nov 2019
honestly Darker than Black, I adore the concept and I still kinda like the anime, but they way it has been planted so far is just really off to me, Idk if I haven't watched enough of it yet but so far that is my impression.
Nov 21, 2019 8:38 PM

May 2018
Serial Experiment Lain. Interesting concept and take on topic about Internet but man, the anime is boring.
Nov 21, 2019 8:46 PM
BL Connoisseur

Oct 2008
Superns18 said:
@gwendal738 That's a shame, have not seen those, but I can feel the disappointment through the post.

Yeah, what's worse is that I really put off watching those two (a 'save the best for last' type of thing) because I thought they were going to be great. I have this weird thing with me where I have to watch the ones I'm most excited for later on because whenever I finish a great anime, I tend to just check out for a few months basking in its glory, preventing me from watching anything new in the meantime. Needless to say after I finished those two I immediately put on the next thing to try and erase the disappointment haha..

clementinesmarie said:
honestly Darker than Black, I adore the concept and I still kinda like the anime, but they way it has been planted so far is just really off to me, Idk if I haven't watched enough of it yet but so far that is my impression.

This is another example of awesome concept, bad execution. I don't wish to influence your thoughts on it or discourage you from watching it seems like it's still ongoing for you, but just thought I'd put in my two cents. It was bad enough I didn't bother with the sequels.

I am forever your most devoted believer.

Nov 21, 2019 8:54 PM

Feb 2019
Ferien said:
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Really interesting concepts, themes and allegories about the position and role of the human race on Earth, societal structures and so on, but the execution/style... yikes. The hectic approach and the general over-the-topness were so unbearable that to me it constitutes the best example of "it was good, but I didn't like it".
This. TTGL is a perfect example of what happens when you turn the Gainax up to 11. TTGL and KLK seem like newer vehicles for the FLCL vibe but they go too hard with it.
Nov 22, 2019 2:43 AM
Sep 2019
ProofByColor said:
rommelcedric said:
I believe it adapted from a manga. I haven't read it yet. I might, now that I think about it.

No, it is definitely original. The manga is an adaptation of the anime. Whether or not it's paced any different Idk.

I see. I might still give it a try. Hopefully they added to the story.
Ya boy is going to Con Alt Delete 2020! See you there!

Nov 23, 2019 1:45 AM

Feb 2019
gwendal738 said:
Superns18 said:

Yeah, what's worse is that I really put off watching those two (a 'save the best for last' type of thing) because I thought they were going to be great. I have this weird thing with me where I have to watch the ones I'm most excited for later on because whenever I finish a great anime, I tend to just check out for a few months basking in its glory, preventing me from watching anything new in the meantime. Needless to say after I finished those two I immediately put on the next thing to try and erase the disappointment haha..

clementinesmarie said:

This is another example of awesome concept, bad execution. I don't wish to influence your thoughts on it or discourage you from watching it seems like it's still ongoing for you, but just thought I'd put in my two cents. It was bad enough I didn't bother with the sequels.

So I just finished Oreimo last night and I feel your pain on a completely different level now. I've never been more disappointed in my life.
Nov 23, 2019 1:46 AM

Feb 2019
ChipsN-Bits said:
Fire force: I feel like the pacing is super off and the tonal changes don’t really work. It’s all moving v fast and I haven’t really found myself caring for any of the characters/ emotional moments.

Am I the only one who finds the direction to be... odd? Like the camera will linger on certain characters way too long imo.
Nov 23, 2019 1:53 AM
May 2019
Hand Shakers had an interesting concept but a poor execution.
Nov 23, 2019 2:11 AM

Feb 2019
@Xstasy what is that about? seems... interesting
Nov 23, 2019 2:14 AM
Jul 2018
Oresuki, I'm not saying I hate it, in fact it's actually the opposite, it's just that I feel like it's becoming a standard harem show.
Nov 23, 2019 2:14 AM

Oct 2015
Shinsekai Yori is a really ambitious show and is of great thematic value but unfortunately tarnished by two-dimensional characters, bad exposition, convenient timeskips (and as a result unnatural plot progression), many plot holes and inconsistencies. It really is a shame.
Nov 23, 2019 3:42 AM

Nov 2019
Superns18 said:
ChipsN-Bits said:

Am I the only one who finds the direction to be... odd? Like the camera will linger on certain characters way too long imo.
[quote=Superns18]
ChipsN-Bits said:

Am I the only one who finds the direction to be... odd? Like the camera will linger on certain characters way too long imo.[/quote
Superns18 said:
ChipsN-Bits said:

You are 100 percent not along with that thought. And it always seems happen at really odd times and I feel it just makes the pacing of the episodes.... odd. Also I don’t know if it’s just me, but I feel the quality of the animation fluctuates, not only from episode to episode, but sometimes from scene to scene. Like, there could be a really solid fight sequence with pretty good animation and then in the next scene they don’t even bother to draw the character faces. But I could be knit picking.
Nov 23, 2019 3:46 AM
Jul 2018
Well I'll give an unpopular example here, but the Slayers is one series that I just really loved the idea and premise off but its execution left so much to be desired from that the whole things ended up being pretty mediocre. The show never wanted to progress further than the status quo out of fear to not alienate its fanbase or something, even when there were so many plot points throughout the numerous seasons that just begged for some kind of conclusion or evolution nothing progressed further than it began. I feel that if it was made today it may have been a different story but sadly it is a victim of its era.
Nov 24, 2019 1:18 AM

Feb 2019
@lemurlime You're not talking about KNY are you? I haven't heard of another slayers.

@ChipsN-Bits I'm glad I'm not alone, like Shinra talking to Arthur often has really odd direction. Shinra will finish talking and the camera stays on him.
Marinate1016Nov 24, 2019 1:28 AM
Nov 24, 2019 1:33 AM
Jul 2018
Superns18 said:
@lemurlime You're not talking about KNY are you? I haven't heard of another slayers.

No, The Slayers stands for this series.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/534/Slayers?q=slayers
Nov 24, 2019 2:31 AM
Jan 2019
Kiznaiver. The plot setting and general idea of different people connecting through each other's pain is really interesting and could make an amazing psychological mystery but the out od the blue romance which went nowhere until the last episode when it was magically resolved made it look like a cheap telenovela.
Nov 24, 2019 1:54 PM

Nov 2017
Detroit Metal City. As a big metalhead the idea of a comedy about metal music sounded like a great idea! Unfortunately the humor was all secondhand embarrassment with punchlines I could see coming a mile away. I hate those kinds of jokes, they make me angry! Dropped it at four episodes.

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!. I like Toradora! and think it's okay to be weird because everyone is a bit weird, so Toradora! that's saying it's okay to be weird because everyone is a bit weird should be right up my alley. Too bad the show had a hard time making its point clear until the very last episode of the first season, where they just say it out loud. Before that point the series seemed to keep vacillating on what exactly it wanted to say, which was so damn frustrating! I can't care about your drama when I don't even know if Rikka is actually delusional and whether we're supposed to think it's good or not!

Arslan Senki (TV). Low-fantasy Persia during the crusades is a great setting for an epic coming-of-age story amidst war and intrigue, but man could the visuals have done a better job of selling it all. Bland clones standing still in the background while characters are talking to each other in the middle of a battle doesn't really convey much urgency in a scene.
Dec 17, 2019 1:26 AM
Apr 2016
Violet Evergarden,
FAIRY GONE,
Vinland saga, to an extent,
Boruto, to an extent.
I could go on but I would need to be reminded of everything else I have watched.
Awwwwwww shiiiiiee I just revived this.
Superns18 said:
@WatchTillTandava That's so cool man, most kids today only know about the mainstream shonen.

Like you not knowing Slayers, but knowing Kimetsu no Yaiba. Projecting much??
Re:formed
Dec 17, 2019 11:11 AM

Apr 2018
Almost any battle royale anime. I love battle royale anime concepts, but the majority of my lowest scored anime happen to be battle royale. I think a ton of them have good premises, but plot holes and poor characterization get in the way of that.
Dec 17, 2019 11:20 AM

Dec 2018
Madoka Magica is the most predictable, cookie cutter plot, backed with above average animation, and boring characters. so yeah that one
Dec 17, 2019 11:28 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
gwendal738 said:
Superns18 said:

clementinesmarie said:

If it weren't for Hei, I would probably drop this anime on the spot due to the confusing asf plot.

After a certain episode in houseki no kuni, phos becomes better and she won't be as irritating to you.

Is the main character that important to you btw?
Dec 17, 2019 11:46 AM

May 2016
Steins;Gate 0 is the poster child for this. Knowing that this is the alternate timeline averted in the final arc of the original story was a thrilling prospect--finally we can see that oppressive future dystopia and see all the harrowing dangers the Future Gadgets Lab members must endure to survive day to day!

But instead of focusing on such an exciting storyline, they partake in pandering waifu-bait bullshit and heartlessly rush through the actual exciting bits and handle them so carelessly that they come across as comical instead of tense. Why the fuck does Solid Snake Feyris still have bright pink twintails when she should be optimizing her stealth and camouflage?! Shouldn't she be unrecognizable, to emphasize how serious the future conflict is?! FUCK!!

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Dec 17, 2019 11:47 AM

Aug 2009
Not to sound like a broken record, but Queen's Blade could have been Soul Calibur: The Anime if it wasn't so overindulgent with yuri. But, nooooOOOOoooo!

Dec 17, 2019 11:51 AM

Nov 2019
I'm sure there has been a lot of SAO answers. But the progressive novel does it's job so I'm gonna avoid it.

Naruto- Am I the only one who thinks that it turned into a low-key dbz from a ninja show.

Demon slayer- I really liked the concept. But the execution was too generic, man.

Tokyo ghoul- Can there be a greater example of great potential falling into waste bin. I don't think so. It could easily have been a masterpiece. The manga is a lot better though.

Erased- How could they butcher the last 2 episodes of a masterpiece? How did they manage to do that. I really thought I had another 10/10 in my list.
SAO PROGRESSIVE ANIME HYPE
Dec 17, 2019 11:51 AM
Jul 2018
Re: Zero: I've already explained in numerous other threads my problems with this anime.

91 Days: mafia revenge story? Count me in. Except it fails, because the bulk of the anime is the drama, yet almost none of the characters are developed for that drama to hit.

Gintama: I love the premise of Feudal Japan being taken over by aliens. Unfortunately, the comedy is bog-standard anime humor.

Shigurui: cool concept...except the visuals are so dark I can barely see anything half the time, and the story just feels dull to me.
Dec 17, 2019 12:09 PM

Jul 2017
too many

to name a few:

mahou shoujo site
gantz
kokkoku
darling in the franxx
killing bites
re:creators

Dec 17, 2019 12:48 PM

Jul 2014
Madoka Magica

Elfen Lied: The theme of discrimination towards another species could have been done well in any show that had nuance. Instead, it feels like it was written by an emo teenager who thinks gore = mature. Every human is cartoonishly evil, except for the main characters.

The Devil Is a Part-Timer: A good concept for a reverse isekai series, but ends up just being a standard battle harem with typical anime humor and a bland protagonist who went through all of his character development offscreen.

Nozaki-kun / KonoSuba: I liked the idea of parodying their respective genres, but instead they just go for easy jokes about them and instead spend most of their time recycling the same gags about their characters.

No Game No Life: The games themselves aren't bad, but the protagonists are some of my least favorite in anime, especially Sora. I would have liked the show much better if the characters were less unlikable.

Shakugan no Shana: The story could have been more interesting if Yuji's power of existence wasn't restored every 24 hours, and had focused more on drama about ceasing to exist and trying to save people from it. Instead, most of the drama comes from boring love triangle drama and fighting generic villains.
Dec 17, 2019 12:51 PM
May 2017
Definitely Drifters. I was very hyped to watch it due to the concept being Really interesting but It was disappointing. Same with Fate/Zero.
Dec 17, 2019 1:01 PM

Oct 2018
Zankyou no Terror fell a bit off when they brought another character in the mix. It should've stayed with the 2 leads vs the cops plot

Fairy Tail's time skip was wasted potential. All of that talk about being left out & need to catch up with the rest of the world was ruined when they get that bs 2nd origin in the GMG arc. They didn't struggle in the tournament because they were objectively weaker than the rest but because they typically got screwed with outside shenanigans. Then there's Mystogan, a cool character that they don't know what to do with so they introduced that lame AU arc as an excuse to shaft him to the sidelines. Fairy Tail could've been so much better if it had a competent writer
~Spiritual Healing~

Dec 17, 2019 7:06 PM

Aug 2018
Its gotta be Fairy Gone

I like the concept so much and background story of Marlya and Ver but the execution of other aspect of the anime was ehhh it could be better though
cmon P.A Works... smh
B O C C H I  S W E E P
Dec 17, 2019 7:17 PM

Aug 2007
Sadly a LOT of anime is like this for me, but to just name a couple: Darker Than Black (still one of my most formative anime growing up) and Fire Force (like somebody else said, excellent animation but the direction and pacing feels so bad and stilted half the time).
Dec 17, 2019 7:43 PM

Jun 2019
D-ohnuts said:
Every human is cartoonishly evil, except for the main characters.

A frequently cited criticism of the series, but who exactly are the "every human" characters that are supposedly portrayed as cartoonishly evil? Bando (the only really over the top character), Mayu's stepfather in a three second cameo, and a pack of school bullies? I'd argue that several Diclonius mutants are portrayed that way, as extremely cruel and malevolent, to an equal extent.

People's criticism of this aspect of the series seems more based in the fact that the humans aren't portrayed overall or by majority in a positive light and the scales aren't tipped in that direction as much as usual. If anything, that's probably the most realistic part of the series. The world really does have its fair share, a great deal more merciless bullies and thugs who like to pick on and step on women, children, and men they perceive as weak or easy targets more than some seem ready to acknowledge. There's a lot of people out there willing to make others suffer for no perceivable benefit to themselves, just to feel superior and lord it above them. They're doubtless not all concentrated in Kamakura, but that's dramatic license for you.

In the real world, sadistic people who make themselves feel better by inflicting suffering, from middle school children to prisoners have tortured small animals, raped wheelchair-bound deaf and Down's Syndrome-afflicted kids, etc. I feel like most series have a problem with whitewashing this major current running through humanity and how quickly more people than you'd think are willing to resort to violence and viciousness than Elfen Lied has a problem with putting a spotlight on. It's just that downplaying it is the norm so any graphic portrayal of it is considered gratuitous, offensive, and false.

I went to a nice junior high school in a suburban safe middle class town where there were some squabbles and cliques but no more serious problems than any other school and pretty mild overall, and yet I could totally see the worst of the worst kids in our grade at that age doing the type of things the show depicts just for either a laugh or to make themselves feel better by making someone else feel like shit.

I get when people criticize the series because of dislike for any of the MCs, holding the animation as basic or dull or cheap, the romance, any number of other things, but showing the darker side of what humanity is very much capable of and is not all that rare if you turn on the news on any given day and chaos is happening 24/7 somewhere doesn't seem like a genuine problem of the series but a problem of some viewers just not liking such content because it's too raw.

I say that if folks say human beings aren't both capable of and very much have been culpable of committing acts like the sort shown in the series then they're shutting their eyes and ears to 2,000 years of recorded history and the daily news.
WatchTillTandavaDec 17, 2019 7:49 PM
Dec 17, 2019 8:40 PM

Mar 2019
Superns18 said:
gwendal738 said:

So I just finished Oreimo last night and I feel your pain on a completely different level now. I've never been more disappointed in my life.
Agreed, it was a rather interesting concept that the imouto was an autoandrophile siscon instead but the execution was largely neutered by meddling businessmen and the ending was just terrible, of course.

Another one is Ore.Syura. which had another interesting concept that trashed by the gratuitous harem.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Dec 17, 2019 10:37 PM
Jul 2018
I think School Live would have been better if it didn't simultaneously indulge in the CGDCT tropes it was trying to subvert.
Dec 19, 2019 2:52 PM

Aug 2019
A certain scientefic railgun. Misaka's power is so fucking well thought and brilliant yet I feel like it's never used to the full potential. S2 was a bit better but I lowkey want her to become some badass assassin bitch because she definitely could.

Deadman wonderland

Mayonaka no Occult Koumuin. if they stuck with the horror theme more it could of been far better.
Dec 19, 2019 3:07 PM
Dec 2019
ALO. I first watched SAO when I was getting into anime, and I LOVED it. Looking back, it wasn't too great, but it did have it's moments. Then Alfieim came along...

I love the concept of Alfeim. SAO but with magic? Count me in! But alas, not only did it pull the harem lever way up, but it also included incest and rape. I dropped it 4 episodes in.
Dec 19, 2019 3:13 PM
Feb 2009
There have been plenty of anime where the basic concept had promise but I hated the execution. Shinsekai Yori and Coppelion both come to mind.
Dec 19, 2019 3:26 PM
Jul 2018
fREE! is filled to the brim with potential and hot guys. Two things I never get tired of. But the flatness of their personalities, emotinally manipulative drama scenes. Comedy that was cringe-worthy and annoying. And a fanbase, that as a Tumblr user, I want to be erased out of existence since it is constitued by nothing but annoying, squealling fujoshis who see them as nothing but 'shipping material'. So you think the Rem vs Emilia or Onodera vs Chitoge was bad? MakoHaru vs RinHaru vs SouMako vs SouRin was the most cancerous 'war' ever. Cementing the fact that this show sells nothing but softcore gay porn and gay related stuff.
Dec 19, 2019 4:50 PM
Sep 2019
Ferien said:
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Really interesting concepts, themes and allegories about the position and role of the human race on Earth, societal structures and so on, but the execution/style... yikes. The hectic approach and the general over-the-topness were so unbearable that to me it constitutes the best example of "it was good, but I didn't like it".

I think the hectic and "over-the-topness" were what made the show so enjoyable, but I can see how that could ruin it for you if it's not your style
Dec 19, 2019 5:41 PM

Dec 2012
Akame ga Kill

Guilty Crown

Gurren Lagann

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom
KruszerDec 19, 2019 5:58 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Dec 19, 2019 5:48 PM

Mar 2014
Ergo Proxy.

Everything about Ergo Proxy looks fantastic on paper. Beautiful gothy cyberpunk designs in a dark dystopian post-apocalypse setting? I’m there. Philosophical themes and symbolism? Sign me up. Methodical pacing and a story that has to be interpreted? Hey, this combination made for one hell of a show back when Texhnolyze did it. The problem with Ergo Proxy is that it’s a show which lacks consensus even on the most fundamental level, and is a clusterfuck of random ideas held together by thin bits of string.
“Loddfafnir, listen to my counsel: You will fare well if you follow it, It will help you much if you heed it. If aware that another is wicked, say so: Make no truce or treaty with foes.” - Havamal 127
Dec 19, 2019 5:55 PM
Apr 2017
Dr stone has an incredibly interesitng concept, wasted with some of the worst characters I've ever had the displeasure to watch (among other things that make it an irredeemable shitshow).

I'd say death note's concept is neat too, it only needed to be about 110% less edgy, with fewer arsepulls and last 12 episodes, tops. Even then it'd probably just reach "good" but better than what it is anyway.

The biggest disappointment from this point of view has to be kujira no kora though. The concept, setting, even the general art are all absolutely mesmerising, the first episode alone made me literally happy because of how beautiful and how much potential it had. And then, well, nothing, it becomes much more clichéed than I would have liked and, worst of all, has some of the stupidest, more facepalmingly predictable and obnoxiously "normal" villains I've ever witnessed. Not like the show is perfect by any stretch, but those villains are such a huge letdown. Makes me sad to see such a great concept wasted like that.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Dec 19, 2019 6:25 PM

Jul 2011
Dororo had a nice concept but the execution was terrible towards the end..it felt so rushed the animation also suffered.

Dec 19, 2019 6:35 PM

Jan 2016
Oh plenty.

Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory had an interesting set-up with the green pilot having never fought in a war and without as much cause vs the veteran of the side that lost the war with a desperate plan for his cause, and that set-up just never ultimately materialized. Instead spent more time focusing on the romantic relationship and the main character's inadequacy issues. At least it had great animation......

Hanebado had a great opening scene with the player who put in so much effort falling short to the natural talent and at the last second just failing to continue running for it, with those two players then being on the same team. A bit cliche, but was so well executed I thought it would be so good. But instead, mommy issues prevail the series and it just becomes tedious.

Okay, I still rather like Vinland Saga, but a story of a young boy trying to take revenge on the man who killed his father by joining his mercenary band and challenging him to duels while also having said father have been a former warrior turned pacifist and said leader be a complex character should've been fantastic. Problem is the main lead is the single most boring protagonist I have ever seen. I know it's kinda true that anime spends a lot of time with characters talking to themselves, but I'd kinda like it here because at least then he'd feel less 2D. And I get that part of the point is that he's an idiot being so set in this, but it still doesn't make him interesting to watch.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Dec 19, 2019 6:41 PM

Apr 2015
Love and Lies - such a good concept, terribly executed. Its premise is that in a society, at 16 year olds are assigned by the government a partner.

Although we part as I leave for Inaba,
where pines grow on the moutain peaks
If I am to hear that you pine for me
I shall come back to you again
Hyakunin Isshu (小倉百人一首):
Poem #16 "Tachiwakare"
©
Dec 19, 2019 9:11 PM

Aug 2019
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress.

Really enjoyed the first half dozen episodes (until just after the train blockage) but as soon as the main antagonist was introduced, it just went to shit.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Have you ever divorced your waifu? (ex-waifu)

EndlessMaria - Aug 12, 2022

45 by Serafos »»
1 minute ago

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 4 hours ago

15 by MogKnight »»
3 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 hours ago

24 by Lawgun »»
10 minutes ago

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - 1 hour ago

6 by LightWorker »»
17 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 hours ago

19 by DigiCat »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.