Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 1, 2019 10:52 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The highlight of the episode imo was that dragon.

Otherwise, I didn't feel much excitement about this episode even after that mask got removed.
Nov 1, 2019 1:44 PM

Jul 2017
Okay episode but not my favorite of the bunch so far.
Nov 1, 2019 4:51 PM

Sep 2011
The mountain flavor won over the sea flavor, which was too rich and strong for its own good. The truth also came to light in a moving conclusion. I don't remember Shell showing up to save them from the fire in the first one though, but I was happy to see him nevertheless.
Nov 1, 2019 9:29 PM

Oct 2015
Liked how Mao used that paper technique to be able to suck up the scum of the stew, pretty clever stuff from the young chef. Li Yan drinking poison was really forced though, especially the fire sacrificial. But I'm glad he and Zhou Yu managed to clear things out, that woman was really awful to have done this to him. I think she's alive though, maybe that woman Xie Lu saw is her or I could be wrong.

So the cooking underworld will take revenge for Li Yan! Just saying this makes it sound so mediocre.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Nov 2, 2019 3:19 AM

Jun 2013
I have never seen a paper pot in my entire life, let alone one that you can cook with using fire AND putting liquid inside without it burning or falling apart. Anime logic.

That soup looked good though. Shell helped them out at the end and Leon's will debut next episode.
臭い-
Nov 2, 2019 7:35 AM

Dec 2014
hmmm women...the start of all evil
Nov 2, 2019 9:52 AM
Apr 2014
How is it that Mao was able to deduce it was Meiixiang who placed the needle during the contest BEFORE Zhou Yu spills the truth?
And what reason does the masked chef have to quickly believe whatever Zhou Yu has to say? From my perspective he sounds like he's making it up.
Nov 5, 2019 2:35 AM

Jul 2017
Watching this more just made me feel like...ah, I should have trusted my instincts more to watch the original than this modern version, and also, making this just like an average production rather than one that stands out.

And also, while the story holds up from back then, I still find it ridiculous that women are the source of all problems. Well, albeit late 90s this was somewhat believable, but nowadays this is standard-fare.

Now it seems that the underworld is plotting the usual revenge soon, not just from the alleged group, but certain individuals I shall not name (otherwise spoilers).
Nov 7, 2019 12:36 PM
Nov 2019
KANLen09 said:
Watching this more just made me feel like...ah, I should have trusted my instincts more to watch the original than this modern version, and also, making this just like an average production rather than one that stands out.

And also, while the story holds up from back then, I still find it ridiculous that women are the source of all problems. Well, albeit late 90s this was somewhat believable, but nowadays this is standard-fare.

Now it seems that the underworld is plotting the usual revenge soon, not just from the alleged group, but certain individuals I shall not name (otherwise spoilers).
They hinted the heroine is like reincarnated from the mother. Or she carries her memory titan style after giving birth. I still think the original animations and graphic still hold up with slow frame rate. The coloring pops more , but I guess they're going for simple and subtle not because budget constrained and simplistic job, but they're not going all out ecchi or crazy reaction to top other pop culture parody anime like one punch Soma to Gintama, but the story is still rushed. The emotion is dead after you watched the original.edm
Nov 9, 2019 7:13 PM

Oct 2008
Always having been a fan of Shell, I’m glad to see that this was changed so that he shows up to save them, lol. He wasn’t around during this part in the original anime/manga.
Nov 2, 2020 1:57 PM
May 2009
Its amazing how bad this Shin version is compared to the dated original.
The original pretty much had a decent flow up to the end of the shanghai arc. before it kinda rushed to give the show an ending.

Some of these cooking battles were my favourites aswell.

Also lack of cooking sound effects just adds to the disappointment.
May 26, 2021 3:04 AM

Jul 2015
Despite the things he has done for revenge, you gotta feel sad for Li Yan considering the girl he loved from the bottom of his heart turned out to be the one who had sabotaged the lobster making those 16 years of plotting revenge basically pointless.

May 3, 2022 5:38 AM
Nov 2018
Bibimbapski said:
I have never seen a paper pot in my entire life, let alone one that you can cook with using fire AND putting liquid inside without it burning or falling apart. Anime logic.

That soup looked good though. Shell helped them out at the end and Leon's will debut next episode.

Paper pots are a thing though... not anime logic - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173826231375
Sep 21, 2022 11:03 AM

Feb 2019
We went from "i will save ur brothers chicken restaurant" to this and im SO confused but also loving it

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shin Chuuka Ichiban! Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 27, 2019

18 by nightjasmine »»
Oct 27, 2023 10:22 PM

Poll: » Shin Chuuka Ichiban! Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2019

10 by nightjasmine »»
Oct 27, 2023 9:23 PM

Poll: » Shin Chuuka Ichiban! Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2019

17 by sailoricy »»
Nov 8, 2022 9:07 PM

Poll: » Shin Chuuka Ichiban! Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 22, 2019

7 by Hikari247 »»
Nov 7, 2022 11:45 AM

Poll: » Shin Chuuka Ichiban! Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 8, 2019

10 by doctorminsuks »»
Sep 21, 2022 11:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.