Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
In/Spectre
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 19, 2020 5:39 AM

May 2015
The story wasn't all that interesting and I expected it to be over in this episode. Well, maybe it'll be resolved earlier in the next one so there could be more focus on other things.

All the other things actually look very appealing! I like the characters, their snappy but sweet interactions, and potential romance. The world appears to be quite interesting too, with the legends, ayakashi and mystery of gaining those abilities.

The giant serpent who is friendly and not the brainless killing monster, oh yes! And he could even hold a conversation, I love this stuff. I just wish it was a little less boring. Other little ayakashi are also very cute.

Kotoko is pretty nice and likable. I like her style with that dress, and that despite being special she's still weak. Morally strong but still in need of protection physically.
Kurou is such a caring boyfriend (not yet, but you know...), he said he didn't care but at the same time gave her soup and lovely onigiri and even followed her out of concern. Sounds like a perfect guy, with a voice of Miyano Mamoru, no less.

I must admit, I listened to the ED song a lot for the past week, I mean, really... and with the visuals from the official video to boot, it's so gooood and maybe I'm a little more hyped for this than I should. But yeah, my only problem so far is that the individual stories could be more interesting, more touching or I don't know, without so much retelling and assumptions about people that we don't really care about yet. I hope it gets improved later on.
Jan 19, 2020 5:51 AM

Aug 2019
something about the characters just enthralls me. their interactions, their quirks, the va, their tones, just the way they speak, idk i just love these characters
Jan 19, 2020 6:03 AM

Sep 2014
Not a fan of this episode. I was very excited to watch this as the first episode showed a lot of potential with the banter between the main characters, but this one turned out far below my expectations. Definitely on the boring side of things.

I love mysteries. This episode was trying to be one. Unfortunately, it failed big time. It didn't even feel like a mystery to begin with. The characters were just rambling about events we'd never seen. There were no pieces to put together. There was no way to make sense of anything unless it was spelled out.

I really hope the following episodes aren't as lackluster as this one.
Jan 19, 2020 6:50 AM

Jan 2013
Awesome episode. I liked every moment of it.
Jan 19, 2020 7:57 AM

Dec 2013
I don't usually watch shows like this and I was surprisingly engaged, relaxing episode all around.
Jan 19, 2020 8:55 AM

May 2018
Ok, so why did the girl dump a dead body in the serpent's territory???
Jan 19, 2020 11:38 AM
Feb 2009
pretty ok for whole episode with just dialogue
Jan 19, 2020 11:56 AM

Nov 2017
Good episode but damn what a cheap cliffhanger
Jan 19, 2020 12:20 PM

Jul 2014
Considering that this episode was basically all dialogue, this was pretty good actually. It's not always easy to swallow how much Kotoko knows, but I guess we just have to assume that her yokai connections help with that (as how would she know to research this case and have enough time to do so if not for that?). My only complaint is that I see no reason to have this as a cliffhanger ending rather than just resolving it here and now.
Jan 19, 2020 2:11 PM

Feb 2014
For an episode that was very heavy on the dialogue, I found it rather intriguing and enjoyable. I wish they didn't use the cliffhanger, though. A bit of a cheap move. XD

Either way, the dialogue had that Monogatari feel to it, which is nice, even though Monogatari's dialogue banter is far better. The serpent god's personality was amusing, but he's very hard to please. Kotoko's explanations to the murder mystery was convincing, but it wasn't enough for the serpent at times.

I just hope that the next episode shows the conclusion to this particular case before it moves on to the next one, as shown in the preview. =)
Jan 19, 2020 2:26 PM
Jul 2019
shubh_jain_2 said:
This episode was not in manga, was this an anime-original??

It is. It's just that it was supposed to be after the Nanase case. I guess this is the appetizer before the main course.
Jan 19, 2020 2:47 PM
Jan 2020
very good anime which has potential, i will watch this
Jan 19, 2020 3:39 PM

Nov 2017
Really enjoyed this episode,even though it was mostly dialogue,Kotoko just seems to be able to hold your attention even when just talking.
Loved the bit where she barged into his apartment as well :)
And that ED has a really smooth,jazz type feel to it,I really like it.The OP isn't bad either.
StarhammerJan 19, 2020 5:41 PM
Jan 19, 2020 4:43 PM
Mar 2015
he really does watch out for her. Complicated story
Jan 19, 2020 6:52 PM

Sep 2019
Man, I've seen some people go on about that faceless monster... or in more weeb terms, "big titty waifu", man, why say that when there's a perfectly good Kotoko.

Then again, I'm rather biased. I do like her personality though. Calling Kurou her boyfriend already and refusing to lose to some pork miso. Even if the miso is great, at least the boy is caring enough to hand supplies, a jacket, and even douse her with repellent. (And of course, he followed)

Could imagine it's rather hard to eat a human and deal with a friggin' iPhone in your stomach. Might accidentally order pizza... although, I feel like to a former water good, that'd be a good thing. Imagine being thousands of years old and tasting something like pizza for the first time?
Who'd bother with humans or sacrifices after that?

I did enjoy the mystery of the episode. Although, I felt like it was less about solving the murder than doing it just to convince the snake god that humans ain't that trash, and thus maintaining a relationship between the two races. After all, who'd want an angry snake god eating hikers due to a murder? Our snake boi needs a phone of his own to learn this new age... and order pizza.

Still, I certainly like the characters; human and youkai.
"You know you've reached peak quality when a doujin is better than the actual source series." (Eg. To LOVE-Ru)

Just to list a couple of biases.
Likes: A good story, characters, writing, romance, a good plot twist or something that breaks expectations (In a good way), 'backstory' and justice.
Dislikes: Bad romance, too much fanservice, the harem genre, yuri, yaoi, and bad writing.

Jan 19, 2020 7:42 PM
May 2018
It's kind of amusing to see everyone saying how dialogue-heavy it is. If you think this is dialogue-heavy, well, welcome to Shirodaira Kyo; in his last work that was adapted into an anime, Zetsuen no Tempest, there were five whole episodes near the middle of characters standing in a forest arguing about time travel. This is only a glimpse of what is to come.

jd2001z said:
It was in the manga, in Volume 7 Chapter 15. I think everything after the main villain arc in the manga is original to the manga (since the source is from a novel).

There are currently three published books in the series, I think. The first is focused on the Karin Nanase arc, the second is a series of short stories, and the third is titled "Sleeping Murder". I haven't gotten around to reading them yet, but I would expect the giant snake case was adapted from one of the short stories.
Jan 20, 2020 12:15 AM

Mar 2019
Episode 1 was x100 times better, if this show keeps going like this I may drop it honestly. I love Mystery genre but watching a 20mins episode full of nothing but boring dialogues related to solving a crime is awful. There're lots of other shows that excelled in the "Crime solving" topic without having such a boring style, like Detective Conan, Erased etc ... Needless to say that It didn't feel like a mystery episode to me at all.
Jan 20, 2020 12:52 AM

Jun 2015
It's pretty much expected with people's disappointment on how the story unfolds. It basically went into Mushishi kind of show while they might expect an action based youkai-show like Noragami or some sort. For me, I don't have any problem at all (lel) because Mushishi is one of my favorite anime.
Jan 20, 2020 3:25 AM

Jul 2014
Well that was a whole ep of talking.. bored the living shit out of me it actually had me fall asleep midway.
The start was funny tho. That cliffhanger was unnecessary, they could have finished this whole thing this ep.
Jan 20, 2020 3:25 AM

Oct 2017
A good story thou the first episode was better. Also that's one curious serpent lol.
Jan 20, 2020 4:26 AM

Apr 2015
Liked it. If it's a later episode in the source material I suspect they used this episode to show the essence of the concept, the bare idea of the franchise. Of course I know fuck all about the original so it's just conjecture...
Jan 20, 2020 7:50 AM
Apr 2019
I really loved this episode. It remembered me a lot of Monogatari Series, one of my favorite animes. That was a nice mystery plot.
Monogatari in most of time is also just talk. I really thought this episode well written.
Jan 20, 2020 9:33 AM

Jun 2013
Teriffic episode!!
Jan 20, 2020 9:47 AM
May 2019
What a disappointing and boring episode I had a high hopes for this show when I watched episode 1 but now I'm not so sure.
The entire episode was a loli explaining how some murder happened to a snake.
We don't know any of the character that were involved in murder, so we have no reason to be emotionally invested or to care about it.
The worst part about it is that it will be continued in the next episode.
Hopefully the rest of the show is going to be like episode 1 and not episode 2.
Jan 20, 2020 10:07 AM
Aug 2018
Hear a lot of talk about too much dialogue. Did you take the time to look at the tags and see that there is a mystery tag on this anime? Of course there would be a lot of talking, I have read the manga and it is littered with dialogue. Of course not everyone enjoys long dialogue so I’m not sure if this is for you. Personally I enjoyed this episode but I was not sure if it was a good idea to use this material before the first arc because this episode takes place later in the manga at volume 7 I believe which is after the current main arc. Though this is just an opinion from a fan of the manga. Kyokou suiri isn’t for everybody, it’s a mystery with a lot of dialogue so if you want to stay alert while watching I suggest you go watch something with a lot of action.
Jan 20, 2020 10:08 AM

Mar 2016
Based on the first episode I wasn't expecting the second one to be mainly about a girl explaining a murder to a giant snake. A case which she seems to know way too much about for having just been summoned. Tedious as all hell. It looked like she was literally holding a script while she was talking lol.
Like can you even call it a mystery if it's been pre-solved?

I did find it funny that the snake gets his info from discarded newspapers though.
syncrogazerJan 20, 2020 1:37 PM
Jan 20, 2020 10:14 AM

May 2019
Didn’t liked this...
Jan 20, 2020 12:33 PM

Nov 2014
This episode bored me into dropping the series.
Jan 20, 2020 12:50 PM

Nov 2014
so the snake is just a big pervert
Darkhur said:
I'm rather fond of dialogue-heavy shows, but I was baffled by the end of this episode. It can be summarized as "I present hypothesis A, except that was a red herring. Thus I posit hypothesis B, but it was also a red herring. Now how about hypothesis C? Bingo! It was a red herring. To be continued..."

I still like the characters and was genuinely entertained throughout the entirety of the episode, but in the end had to question the point of it all.

i think the point of this show is not to use detective skills to solve the crime and find the truth, but rather to come up with a believable answer to solve the spirits' problems

the japanese title of this show is 虚構推理, 虚構 meaning "imaginary/fictional" while 推理 means "reasoning." so the point of it is to find a "not real/true" (but convincing) reasoning to the crime
Pakumen- said:
eso-JAR said:
its not nearly close to monogatari series..

Exactly, It does not require the unnecessary fanservice and the pointless themes to feel interesting.

or the abstract and confusing way of telling a story as if it's trying to be complex and unique when it's not
Jan 20, 2020 2:19 PM
Dec 2017
Extremely boring episode
Jan 20, 2020 2:28 PM

Sep 2008
I'm usually mad about cliffhangers, but the 2nd episode made me lose all interest so I don't even care now.
That was incredibly boring. I was hoping for youkai slaying and some really fucked up romance story. Instead it was kitaro without the good parts, and bakemonogatari without ecchi.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Jan 20, 2020 4:29 PM

Jul 2017
I almost fell sleep, but i liked it

i think it has potential
Jan 20, 2020 7:37 PM
Oct 2018
I really love the atmosphere kurou and Kotoko have! Can't wait to see the next one
Jan 20, 2020 9:55 PM

Nov 2019
Another amazing 9/10 episode
man our female protags amazing I think I have a crush on her
Jan 20, 2020 9:59 PM
Jul 2018
Kotoko is so bold, I love it! Also her style is on point, love these classic lolita pieces she’s wearing.
Overall it was an amazing episode. Can’t wait for the next week, hope they’ll tell us more about Aoi’s motives
Jan 21, 2020 1:06 AM

Jul 2016
Why are people so surprised at the "detective" stuffs this episode have? The anime literally named "KYOKOU SUIRI" (Invented Inference) for a reason. Have you guys even check the genres first before watching the show?

As for episode itself, I still don't know why are they changed the timeline placement of this episode but at least the contents was adapted properly from the manga.
Jan 21, 2020 2:20 AM

Jul 2017
Completely skipping into Chapter 15 (which IDK if that was an decision to showcase the first arc soon) was definitely the low-brow of this episode.

The "romance" between Kotoko and Kuro is becoming more contrived...and the bug spray moment is similar to Zombieland Saga (Miyano Mamoru being the VA for Kuro), cool.

This case on the Serpent and its hearsay, to back with rumours about some couple's failed relationship and various scandals, not to mention the back-and-forth relentless cat-and-mouse chase. On regards to the Guardian Serpent, she's the definition of "the tip of the iceberg", as Kotoko racks her brains for legitimate explanations.

Much of this episode was heavy dialogue, and even for a manga with the content like a light novel, it's boring on the main side, but hey, that's what the "mystery" genre is for that's tagged to this show. But to start with this side story, I'm very sure it's a planned course on how the producers want to play this out, though haphazard if they didn't play out the sequence of events in the manga.
Jan 21, 2020 9:16 AM

Nov 2011
This anime is interesting because for the most part it is pretty laid back, serious but laid back, however at the end of the episode I found my self screaming "WTF?" That cliff hanger was something lol.

The Little Dog Yokais were cute when they were reunited.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Jan 21, 2020 2:55 PM

Apr 2010
I'm just for the reactions from people who expected mindless shounen action #47,185.
Jan 21, 2020 6:30 PM

Oct 2015
JiangHaoyi1979 said:
Ok, so why did the girl dump a dead body in the serpent's territory???

I'm hoping for an answer to that too. If they keep not answering the cliffhangers, I'm not sure if I'll continue to watch.
Jan 21, 2020 8:53 PM
Aug 2018
MahiaErebeaNegi said:
Why are people so surprised at the "detective" stuffs this episode have? The anime literally named "KYOKOU SUIRI" (Invented Inference) for a reason. Have you guys even check the genres first before watching the show?

As for episode itself, I still don't know why are they changed the timeline placement of this episode but at least the contents was adapted properly from the manga.

IKR, I been telling people the same thing. The material is loaded with dialogue and it’s also a mystery about solving cases by making up convincing stories. If you don’t like it, go watch some shounen isekai because if you came for action, this is not the place.
Jan 21, 2020 11:40 PM

Feb 2011
this episode was nowhere in the manga.. what the fudge

Jan 22, 2020 3:37 AM

Apr 2010
Scootboi said:

It's Chapter 15, with some changes.
Jan 22, 2020 3:38 AM

Feb 2018
ahmad_jaelani said:
Very very bad, in the episode 2
no no no episode 2 is a good mystery xD, especially why she's killed some people?
Jan 22, 2020 11:31 AM

Feb 2019
What a stupid episode. was episode that was entirely talking, just rambling nonsense.

ahmad_jaelani said:
no no no episode 2 is a good mystery xD, especially why she's killed some people?

She visits a snake to theorycraft about some woman who dumped a body. Not investigate the murder. Not solve the mystery. Not even try to do anything of the sort. To come up with an explanation that the goofy halfwit of a snake will decide is good enough. It could have been over 10 seconds into the conversation. It might be a three episode arc. Who knows! It's up to whenever the snake stops arguing.

But even that's not the worst part. Maybe it could've wrapped things up with at least some kind of weak denouement about the nature of… I don't even know, the truth, or what we believe in, or how much we care about people dumping bodies in our swamps. But it doesn't. The episode just ends mid conversation, no point ever reached, no conclusion sought, nothing built to, nothing anythinged. How the hell is this a multi-episode arc? they should stop overanimating pouring out soup and invest a couple more yens to hire writers paid by something other than the word.
Jan 22, 2020 12:05 PM

Feb 2011
antonn said:
Scootboi said:

It's Chapter 15, with some changes.

why did they reorrder it like that?

Jan 22, 2020 1:46 PM

Mar 2018
Really liked the 1st ep but this one was kinda boring.
Jan 22, 2020 4:45 PM

Nov 2013
i kinda want to like this anime since the main duo is pretty decent...but since i'm not a fan of detective stuff...this episode was boring as hell to me lol

guess i'll watch one more but i already lost almost all my hope of enjoying this
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Jan 22, 2020 8:50 PM

Jul 2008
I actually enjoyed this more than the first episode. There are so many anime that vie for your attention by using action, but a show that can keep you interested through what’s almost a monologue? That’s more unusual, and while it might not be spectacular, it gives me higher hopes for the rest of the writing and storytelling of the series. Also, if it it progressed into action immediately like the first episode, we’d be left with the impression that this is a monster of the week show following a format of Kotoko trying to speak with a youkai, being out of her league when it comes to violence, and Kuro showing up to save her when she’s in a pinch. That would get extremely old very fast, and I doubt many people would want to watch a season of that.
Jan 22, 2020 9:53 PM
May 2016
vndb said:
ahmad_jaelani said:

discussion, discussion, and discussion, I'm bored xD
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2020

155 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 10, 12:04 PM

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 29, 2020

70 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 10, 11:46 AM

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 22, 2020

66 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 10, 11:28 AM

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2020

88 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 10, 9:26 AM

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 8, 2020

110 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 6, 5:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.