Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 10, 2019 2:47 PM

May 2018
Vampir was suppose to kill Melinda right, so what change his mind?????
Oct 10, 2019 3:02 PM

Feb 2015
The animation was good and o like the style of the world set up. That said the MC looks like and edgy Kirito and I'm not sure Melinda is going to be an interesting enough character.
Oct 10, 2019 3:06 PM

May 2015
Good episode. I like how businesslike the main character is. He's seems indifferent from what he's involved in.

However Im a bit worried about towards the end and this turning into a romance. I really hope they keep his business like attitude and make it so he's not too personally attached to the girl. I think it'll be interesting that way.
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Oct 10, 2019 3:41 PM

Dec 2016
FireFistYK said:

Short_Circut said:

guarantee you if this was made by ufotable the rating would have already gone up by 1

How can you say something so brave yet so true? But yea that's MAL in a nutshell

Females are flat and I think I saw CGI(?). So there will be people who will give 1/10.
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.96/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.161/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.84/? - weekly) | Mama Yuuyu (Ch.29 - Finished)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.63/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.52/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Oct 10, 2019 3:42 PM
Apr 2013
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This is boring...we got Melida Angel who seems to be kinda clumsy for the female protagonist.

On the other hand, Vampir (is that really his name lol..) has a cooler personality. However, his voice sounds robotic. Setting takes place at an academy and it looks like there's some rivalries going on. Pretty much just an introductory epsiode serving to introduce the main characters. The action was probably the only part that was alright. This just screams medicority to me but I'll give it a chance to see where it goes. Melida such a weak character though, sigh.

Can't really agree with you, honestly. Melidas struggle makes her actually a pretty strong character, even though she obviously stands no chance without mythical power X aka mana. I mean, I liked her enough to remember her name in a single episode. In todays seasonal trend thats pretty amazing. There are some shows where I don't remember the characters names for the whole season (usually I remember them after 3 episodes or so, ergo, when I commit to a show).
I mean, sure, this show isn't perfect, by no means. But the animation was nicer than I expected, without stupid blackscreen slashes or anything, decent backgrounds, some nice bgm and ed song, and overall a nice hook. I've seen much worse this season, quite frankly. In fact, so far I think this season is pretty weak (ofc, the big guns like Chihayafuru and Boku no Heroacademia will hit the stores only in like 2 weeks, so perhaps thats why), so that I have this show as one of the stronger ones.
Oct 10, 2019 3:45 PM

Apr 2009
Merida is not entirely weak unlike the Female lead in Fairy Gone and this anime would kill it's existence
The current game that i play: Azur Lane :3

Oct 10, 2019 3:45 PM

Oct 2013
First ep was meh, but I'm down with the lolis so ill keep watching. A manga reader said Vampir should be around 17, dude looks 25. All the other quick intros were weird, pink girl from train, bitch with mace, mute mini rem. But I'll give a chance if Melida turns badass like Shana or Louise...or any other flat chested badass loli
Oct 10, 2019 3:48 PM

Dec 2016
JiangHaoyi1979 said:
Vampir was suppose to kill Melinda right, so what change his mind?????

If I understood this episode, it was her determination to show own worth. Something like "I prefer to die than accept that I am weak/worthless".
Manga recommendation:
Anime recommendation:
Oct 10, 2019 3:49 PM

Oct 2013
Nieznajomy43 said:
FireFistYK said:

How can you say something so brave yet so true? But yea that's MAL in a nutshell

Females are flat and I think I saw CGI(?). So there will be people who will give 1/10.

Haha too funny, the CGI is still a question since it was used sparingly not like Arifureta or other CGI massacres. But the flat characters are a plus!
Oct 10, 2019 3:51 PM

Dec 2016
Prankster_001 said:
Merida is not entirely weak unlike the Female lead in Fairy Gone and this anime would kill it's existence

ok. how De FAQ Marlya is weak?
Manga recommendation:
Anime recommendation:
Oct 10, 2019 4:02 PM

Apr 2015
Okay start for now, I feel like they still need to go in depth about certain events this episode. But either way, animation looks good, Kufa is bad-ass and that chandelier-like city/world, what even is it... It has peaked my interest, I have not seen something like that before and I want to know more about it. Imo looks really unique.
Oct 10, 2019 4:07 PM

Apr 2009
Nieznajomy43 said:
Prankster_001 said:

ok. how De FAQ Marlya is weak?
lol in my own theory Marlya often misses her shots when she's trying to shoot a baddie even when she uses her Fairy when i considered as a useless one bcoz it had hot hands to burn only at a close proximity and when she's going to kill Liscrap she was stopped by an asshole named Free Underling what did i get after watching the first half of Fairy Gone? nothing just nothing and i hope this anime would kill it's existence

Oct 10, 2019 4:08 PM

Oct 2018
Am I the only person who actually really liked this? There are talks of Melida being a weak character, Kufa having a boring, monotonous voice and narration and that there's awkward directing? I gotta say, I disagree with all of this.

Melida, for one, is not a weak character. I haven't even read the manga or anything for this show, so I'm saying all of this based on this first episode and I will definitely say she is not weak. It's not really her fault her mother had an affair and that Melida along with the Angel House is unaware of this, making everyone believe she should have mana and be at the level of an aristocrat when her literal blood denies her the chance. The fact that she refused to call for help and would rather get beat up than submit to the help of someone else shows her strength because even though she's struggling, she chooses to believe in her own strength and keep moving forward to prove herself. This is what intrigues Kufa and makes him not want to kill her, we all can't help but see a struggling animal try it's hardest to fight back against danger and while it does struggle, seeing the animal standing their ground makes us instantly want to cheer it on. I feel like this is how Kufa felt. This already strikes me as quite unique and already entertaining.

Now Kufa, I found his narration to be some excellent writing, in my opinion, if you think it's boring then maybe literature isn't your thing. I enjoyed his monologues and narration because it added insight and perception to the show. Kufa's cool personality that he seems to hide under a mask never really lets us know how he feels, so seeing it from his point of view and hearing his inner thoughts created a story I could easily follow and understand. It just lets us know what he's thinking. Along with good writing, I think his narration was good. His voice does not seem robotic to me, I feel as though it fits his personality since he's an assassin. Their personalities usually resemble the calm, cool and collected type.

The directing may seem experimental almost, but I think it's actually pretty good. The show was clearly trying to set up a quite lengthy beginning to the series in a 20-minute episode, and the directing never felt like it was rushed.

Overall, this was good. I will definitely continue to follow this show because DAMN the animation was pretty and Kufa just seems really interesting. I feel as though Melida is going to influence him greatly.
~ These boys must be protected at all costs ~
Oct 10, 2019 4:08 PM

Apr 2009
CeddyyBearr said:
Okay start for now, I feel like they still need to go in depth about certain events this episode. But either way, animation looks good, Kufa is bad-ass and that chandelier-like city/world, what even is it... It has peaked my interest, I have not seen something like that before and I want to know more about it. Imo looks really unique.
hello anyway dude

Oct 10, 2019 4:13 PM
Jul 2019
As a Light Novel reader they messed with the pacing a by quite a lot. TBH that's the only problem with the first episode, as for the characters I won't spoil it but don't assume that y'all know about the characters just by watching the first episode. The animation is actually really good for a newbie animation studios
Oct 10, 2019 4:25 PM
Jun 2009
Not bad, but from the first episodes of new shows I have seen, this one is the weakest. I will continue to watch it, but I do not have high expectations and I am not hooked up. I will just give it a chance.
Oct 10, 2019 4:25 PM
Feb 2016
I'm tempted to watch this just to see Mean Girl get her comeuppance, but nah…
Oct 10, 2019 4:34 PM
Jun 2009
Oh yes. The heroine is cute. Also, I forgot to write about how many cringe moments there are. She supposes to be 7-8 y.o. right? And Kufa is at least 10 years older. The kiss moment, even if it was to share some magic liquid mouth to mouth, is still the kiss moment.
Oct 10, 2019 4:36 PM
Jun 2009
DarknessReality said:
Good episode. I like how businesslike the main character is. He's seems indifferent from what he's involved in.

However Im a bit worried about towards the end and this turning into a romance. I really hope they keep his business like attitude and make it so he's not too personally attached to the girl. I think it'll be interesting that way.

Yeah, we do not need the romance with paedophilia connotations.
Oct 10, 2019 4:39 PM
Jun 2009
Collins89 said:
First ep was meh, but I'm down with the lolis so ill keep watching. A manga reader said Vampir should be around 17, dude looks 25. All the other quick intros were weird, pink girl from train, bitch with mace, mute mini rem. But I'll give a chance if Melida turns badass like Shana or Louise...or any other flat chested badass loli

he looks to me like 17-18 years old guy. Maximum 20
Oct 10, 2019 4:50 PM

Nov 2017
idk it wasn't the best but it had enough elements to make me interested in continuing to watch it... the next couple episodes will probably give me a better idea about the opinions of this one.
Oct 10, 2019 4:53 PM

Jan 2008
A little different than I remember, though I've only read the manga, but was surprisingly better than I expected too, at least visually. It at least added a little bit more to the action scenes than I figured we get from another magic school op mc surrounded by female characters show. Well if anything, hopefully it keeps up for at least those action scenes.
Oct 10, 2019 4:59 PM
Feb 2019
The episode was enjoyable for me. The animation was pretty bad, to be honest, and the ost was simplistic; however, I enjoyed the atmosphere with Kufa walking around the city quite a lot. It seems a bit rushed compared to the manga, but not necessarily in a bad way. I'll be keeping up with this.
Oct 10, 2019 5:05 PM
Feb 2017
This episode was ok. I didn't really feel engaged in the story at all or the problem the MC girl was having, not a good sign.

FMmatron said:
Not bad. I'm kinda getting Satsuriko no Tenshi vibes.

Oh gosh no please...

Short_Circut said:
tee you if this was made by ufotable the rating would have already gone up by 1[/size]

I mean I don't see why a good looking show wouldn't be rated higher, as animation is a key factor in a lot of shows and enjoyment for the audience.
MegaStrideOct 10, 2019 5:11 PM
Oct 10, 2019 5:13 PM

Nov 2013
that was interesting lol
adorable and hardworking girl, badass guy, let's see =D

also a very pretty image to start the season
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Oct 10, 2019 5:38 PM

May 2015
Yeesh that was about forgettable, ill give it another episode or two but not expecting much out of this one
Oct 10, 2019 5:45 PM

Jul 2017
BlakexEkalb said:
This episode was ok. I didn't really feel engaged in the story at all or the problem the MC girl was having, not a good sign.

FMmatron said:
Not bad. I'm kinda getting Satsuriko no Tenshi vibes.

Oh gosh no please...

Short_Circut said:
tee you if this was made by ufotable the rating would have already gone up by 1[/size]

I mean I don't see why a good looking show wouldn't be rated higher, as animation is a key factor in a lot of shows and enjoyment for the audience.

yea, but I'm just saying that animation tends to cause people to turn a blind eye on other things. Like if this show had godly animation, for instance, I guarantee there would be less of the "this is boring" comments
Oct 10, 2019 5:46 PM

Jan 2010
sunimi__ said:
AnimeBW said:
Oof, this is looking to be the trash of the season. Characters are annoying, faux attempts at depth are annoying, the direction tries to be artsy at times but there's no purpose behind it, and it's overall just really boring. The main guy's constant inner narration especially is coma-inducing. Well, I guess every season needs a juvenile edgefest or two, but I'll take Akame ga Kill over this any day.

Definitely not the worst anime of the season, lol. It's only been like 1 episode, geez.

How about worst first episode of the season then? Or year? This was pretty dreadful. Sure, it could get better — anything could — but I don't know why it would. The things done here seem like deliberate choices and are likely to infect the entire season. And if some of the positive comments I've read aren't trolling, then it seems like it has an audience, so why change?
Oct 10, 2019 5:48 PM
Jun 2015
okay, they make first episode become dramatic and emotional. we can see it from melida expression and how they animate the moment where kuufar catch fallen melida. honestly, it is worth to watch "if you never touch the manga or LN version"

kuufar has 2 face, assassin and teacher but they fail to adapt this point.

first kuufar voice actor "didn't give feeling to kuufar as teacher" and that only make kuufar is assassin. second, show kuufar perspective with his inner voice is fine and that is pretty rare when most of anime ignore "character inner voice" part to explain the situation but that is not mean to overuse it. actually kuufar inner voice adaptation is good but they only focus to the part to make the situation become more dramatic. ugh, please don't give us too much dramatic animation in first episode, it is too heavy. third, where is our joke? the truth is i expect this part because this is the part where we can see kuufar as a character in general not as teacher or assassin. they ignore "brute teacher" joke and they remove maid reaction to kuufar first impression. not only that, kuufar itself is expressive character when he is not in assassin mode

with 3 point about him i can make conclusion that kuufar anime ver is fail as kuufar, not only that i hate the voice actor because he is not give feeling to act as kuufar. in MAL, kuufar voice actor is same with vatler (strike the blood) and ashiya (hataraku maou-sama) and both of them is very expressive. but how about his role as kuufar? nah, forget it, it only make kuufar = hayato (hundred protagonist)

okay, now let's switch to melida. my first impression to her in manga is "a maiden who fall in love to a prince that catch her to save her", but how about melida from anime version? let me said it clearly, she act as tragic heroine and the part of "tragic" is too clear right after she met kuufar. oh boy, stop it. melida have another expression than that tragic face and we don't need "her tragic face when kuufar save her from balcony". it is not like she fall from balcony with suicide intent and as a man in general, we feel unpleasant to her sad expression when we save her

and if you didn't know it before, first chapter in manga have 57 pages and that equal to less than first 11 minutes in anime, of course you know what i mean right? don't hope it get better at later episode but hope they fix character expression and voice actor expression first, if not we will see the 2nd hundred
Rizki_DiabloOct 10, 2019 5:53 PM
Oct 10, 2019 6:21 PM

Feb 2013
Oof. Dislike. The first fight scene looked really good so I had high hopes going into it but it seemed incredibly rushed.

Kufa or whatever going from teaching her one second (which he never actually even starts) to killing her and then back to teaching her / on her side in a matter of minutes. I was cringing so hard.
Oct 10, 2019 6:23 PM

Dec 2017
This feels above average. I like the animation and the main female lead Melida, but they threw a lot of stuff about the world and its society at us without context and is expecting us to understand. Hopefully the story structure and world buiding gets more tidy going forward and we get context as to what these things mean.

Oct 10, 2019 6:36 PM
May 2018
So excited to see Kirito in another anime!
Oct 10, 2019 6:57 PM
Mar 2015
He makes a decision to awaken her mana instead of assassinating her He went against the will of his client and his guild If discovered he risks death
Oct 10, 2019 7:04 PM
Feb 2017
Short_Circut said:
BlakexEkalb said:

Oh gosh no please...

yea, but I'm just saying that animation tends to cause people to turn a blind eye on other things. Like if this show had godly animation, for instance, I guarantee there would be less of the "this is boring" comments

I can understand that, but you also have people who only seek enjoyment from shows. If it looks great and they love to just watch how fluid/detailed it is, they feel more enjoyment than if they had just looked at generic art style.

Just like how animation isn’t everything, sometimes story isn’t everything either when looking at it from an enjoyment standpoint.
Oct 10, 2019 7:05 PM

Jan 2015
traaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaash
Oct 10, 2019 7:06 PM
Feb 2017
Short_Circut said:
BlakexEkalb said:

Oh gosh no please...

I can understand that, but you also have people who only seek enjoyment from shows. If it looks great and they love to just watch how fluid/detailed it is, they feel more enjoyment than if they had just looked at generic art style.

Just like how animation isn’t everything, sometimes story isn’t everything either when looking at it from an enjoyment standpoint.
Oct 10, 2019 7:10 PM

Aug 2018
too many negative comments to this anime.. but im gonna stick as long as theres more sword fighting scenes its cool for me and entertaining :P
Oct 10, 2019 7:23 PM

Oct 2018
sunimi__ said:
I feel like the pacing was definitely rushed in comparison to the manga adaptation and light novel which was a let down. Also because of the episode's time frame limit some little details were left out, the animation is very pretty imo and much much better than I expected so there's that at least.

i agree with you on the pacing. the pacing feels rushed as well as the scenes shown. it seems the only the important scenes were shown. it was very mediocre and the va for the vampir sounded very robotic.

♔ 𝘴𝘦𝘵 © 𝘫𝘢𝘺
Oct 10, 2019 7:59 PM

Dec 2018
live posting:

starting off with the action, huh?

well, the aspect of a city in a "lanturn" looks preety cool

aww, injured cat!

"Vampir", really? pfft

and here's another pale blonde girl with red eyes Hello new Yue

okay so he's a teacher and a bodyguard. oh wait "special permission", guessing all girls academy then

o no, mean girl (and this is pacing along rather quickly, huh?)

o no, shy friend that stays out of bullying so it doesnt happen to them as well.. or family member

nice, halloween-y Heartless

hehe, him wanting to see her acknowledged seems fatherly, but this is anime, lol. This is gonna be a ship.

o damn, them roses. whelp, she shed herself

nice soft ED~

aww, and it worked!! oh dam, i used to have a friend named Aimee like that, lol

im guessing it was lancanthrope blood or something
~~~~
def watching more~
Oct 10, 2019 8:06 PM

Jun 2013
I cringed so hard on the "My Little Lady" line
Oct 10, 2019 8:22 PM
Apr 2013
I think it's pretty good so far, and I feel like people are overlooking the amazing background music and animation.
Oct 10, 2019 8:25 PM

Dec 2014
Don't know about most other people here but I quite liked it, surprisingly compelling.

I took a real liking to Melida in just the first episode, she's a determined, strong willed young girl. She struggles through all the suffering that life has put her through just to believe in the small hope that she can gain the power to achieve her dreams. Towards the end, in the scene with those demons I had the same opinion as Kufa, I want to see the day where Melida is acknowledged.
Love Melida's design, blonde hair and red eyes. Sign me up, her hairstyle is somewhat reminiscent of Alisa from Trails of Cold Steel who I also love.

Loved the final sequence where Kufa helped awaken Melida's mana, though I'm curious how he did it. I suppose we'll know next episode. The transition to the ED as Melida falls was fantastic.

I wasn't even planning on watching this show but I kinda got baited by Melida's design and now I'm pleasantly surprised. Looking forward to more.
The "My Little Lady" is definitely a little weird. I might've preferred they just stick with Ojou-sama. xD
Oct 10, 2019 8:36 PM

Nov 2012
sneakers-n-cake said:
traaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaash

Seems you dont even enjoy watching anime, might as well give it up altogether. Save us from your traaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaash comments.
Oct 10, 2019 8:45 PM
Aug 2019
eh the main girl is so far pretty boring but the setting looks cool. ill give it another episode or 2
Oct 10, 2019 9:38 PM

Jan 2011
i don't have a strong opinion on this show besides the animation looking decent for action .

felt like despite all the things said in such a short time i hardly understood anything and why it mattered

and main dude is the most fake ass untrustworthy gent
Oct 10, 2019 9:38 PM
Jan 2016
I truly enjoyed this firs episode! I like that assassination theme, with guild!

The MC is really is badass with figth at start, and he also is a gentlemen with girls, not like some cliches, and her mana power while saving Melida was really awesome!

Melida is really cute, and her encounter with Kufa was beautiful, she was kinda bulied at academy towards not having mana control!

I am glad Kufa decided not to assassinate her, and dont know why he made her get mana manifest, dont know what that kiss as made!

I hope she get well with her cousin, she looked like a good girl with a good personality!

Animation was really good for me, and the design and characters art were also really good!

I wonder if Kufa will encounter that red hair girl!
Oct 10, 2019 9:47 PM

Mar 2016
I mean...it was okay...I guess?

Idk, some good stuff and some cringe stuff.

"My Little Lady" will always cringe me out lmao

Visuals for the most part were actually really good. Some scenes feel a little awkward and the animation felt janky at times.

The plot so far seems very generic.
Oct 10, 2019 9:48 PM

Oct 2015
The only let down for me so far is when she is on balcony and fell, in the manga the author give a detailed for it. Everything else is OK for me, especially how they execute the kiss in anime version.
Oct 10, 2019 9:57 PM
Nov 2018
Yeah... This is the anime I've been waiting for.. And It looks awesome.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What's with the Hate?

Aytr0 - Jun 3, 2021

30 by ayogami_M »»
Jan 14, 4:46 AM

» what makes the show THIS bad?

APolygons2 - Apr 20, 2023

23 by Akanekino »»
Nov 1, 2023 9:28 PM

Poll: » Assassins Pride Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 26, 2019

104 by f_lopezjmz »»
Oct 31, 2023 4:40 PM

Poll: » Assassins Pride Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 14, 2019

66 by f_lopezjmz »»
Oct 30, 2023 6:59 PM

Poll: » Assassins Pride Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 24, 2019

94 by f_lopezjmz »»
Oct 29, 2023 8:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.