Forum Settings
Forums
New
Do you also think that?
Oct 5, 2019 3:14 PM

Sep 2018
I feel that more recent arcs are much worse, then the first 3. Maybe it's because of the pacing, or the fact that this can be one of the last arcs, and if it finishes that early, so many things will be unanswred. To me it really droped the ball. What are your thoughts about it?
Jolyne Kuujou + Steel Ball Run Universe = Billie Eillish
Oct 5, 2019 6:33 PM
Mar 2019
You are not the only one , the first arc is probably one if my favourites arcs in all of manga , i enjoyed the 2nd one and 3rd one , after gondy pond i dont know the story took some weird directions , i m still reading it but its not the same as before .
Oct 5, 2019 10:38 PM
Jul 2018
I definitely agree the first arc was a solid 10/10 for me, and setup the mysteries for the world building just perfectly, but with the latest chapters the story seems to have lost the tension and the identity it set out with and is almost like a weird fan fic at this point.
Oct 5, 2019 11:17 PM

May 2015
Yes, somehow the story seems a bit rushed and forced. I get that the author probably decided the finale long ago and now everything is playing out for that finale. But still, it feels off and not as interesting as the arcs before.
Oct 5, 2019 11:31 PM

Mar 2012
I stopped reading this manga altogether. It all went downhill after they escaped from the farm.
Oct 11, 2019 8:18 AM

Oct 2014
I want to drop this manga too but I'm not sure. I'll probably drop it soon.
Oct 12, 2019 5:45 AM
May 2018
You're not alone, the manga keeps getting worse by each passing arc. IMP it Went from 10/10 to 7/10.
And the current arc is not helping it.
Oct 12, 2019 11:02 AM

Mar 2019
I thought the first arc was great. Its anime adaptation was even better.

Goldy Pond had its moments. It fell off a cliff once they escaped from there (Goldy Pond). Everything else has been rubbish for the most part.
Oct 12, 2019 5:33 PM
Aug 2011
It definitely has dropped in quality. It was around the time when Norman appeared and he looked fucking 20 instead of 14 or whatever the hell they were supposed to be. Meh.
Oct 13, 2019 2:28 PM
Jul 2018
I am surprised with so many no voted. I also think the manga has gone very sharp decline in quality since around after chapter 90 and initially quite noticed around chapt 60 when none of the side main characters especially Ray didn't played any single role that I can remember.
Around chapt 100-110 the story was going even worse lot of plot convenience and then I thought when Norman was introduced it will get interesting but no its just resulted many unsatisfying twists and everything feels like happening just for the sake to end the manga.

I badly hoping the 2nd season will be actually mostly anime original like the recent interview hinted.
Oct 14, 2019 12:39 AM
Jul 2018
This arc is so boring
Oct 14, 2019 8:33 AM

Oct 2015
Well, everything that was after the first arc wasn't all that interesting to me personally. So, I didn't have high expectations for this arc as well. I can sympathize with people that are disappointed, but even with all of its flaws I believe that this manga is worth reading. I really don't understand why would anyone drop it, in the final arc?
Omnia munda mundis
Oct 18, 2019 7:45 PM

Mar 2014
It's been losing its way for a long while now. Lost its identity, which is a pity because it originally presented something so unique and fresh. The whole thing in the seven walls was so out of place and ridiculous; didn't fit anything we'd been presented with about this world. And now it's just plain boring. I don't really care who wins or loses anymore.

But I've been reading this manga for 3 years, I'm not gonna drop it in the final arc. I wish I could enjoy it more, though.
Oct 19, 2019 8:13 AM
May 2018
Since goldy pond i started to feel like that...
Oct 19, 2019 8:43 AM

Nov 2015
This is all probably due to the possible fact that the author doesn't have sort of overall storyline. But I might be wrong.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 19, 2019 8:47 AM

Nov 2011
The series peaked at the Grace Field House. Everything after that is just going down and down. The series strong point was the psychological and mind games but those no longer present and it turned into action adventure series and not a good one.

Oct 19, 2019 12:07 PM

Oct 2013
These comments are very depressing, I like promise neverland and I have only watch the anime and read like 39 chapters and I think it is a solid 7/10, if persons are saying it gets worse later on, this kinda make me unmotivated to continue.
Oct 19, 2019 5:53 PM
Aug 2019
keragamming said:
These comments are very depressing, I like promise neverland and I have only watch the anime and read like 39 chapters and I think it is a solid 7/10, if persons are saying it gets worse later on, this kinda make me unmotivated to continue.

Do not listen to people, read it yourself and decide. The number of haters on this platform surprises me..... :(
Oct 19, 2019 5:57 PM

Oct 2013
Werinm said:
keragamming said:

Do not listen to people, read it yourself and decide. The number of haters on this platform surprises me..... :(

Yeah, I will still give it a go, was just surprised by the overwhelming majority in this thread saying the quality has dropped.
Oct 22, 2019 9:03 AM
Sep 2016
Gracefield house is an amazing first arc, there's so much tension and mystery surrounding the story at this point, but the thing with a story that deals heavily with mysteries is that at some point they will be revealed. The problem with TPN now is that most of these mysteries have been revealed but without them, it's not interesting, theres no tension, theres some deaths and people get hurt but it's hard to care as most of the cast is bland, there are so many characters but only a few of them are decent, even Emma and Ray are underdeveloped imo.

Gracefield House is great, the following bunker Arc is also great, Goldy pond is good too, but after that it just goes downhill, demons are avoided or killed with relative ease, the story has devolved to have a plot which feels really generic and as far as we know right now everything will be saved by this "promise", but I don't really care anymore, and i'm kinda sad that it's become like this, there was so much promise at the start, it seems as though the writer might not have had a strong end in mind, or maybe the initial idea of Grace Field House was the main idea they came up with, but couldn't top it. I love Posuka's art though and really hope she makes a manga of her own or teams up with a better writer next time.
Oct 22, 2019 5:16 PM

Oct 2008
I think the series is doing fine. I still enjoy it as much as I always have, which is a lot.
Oct 26, 2019 3:57 AM
Feb 2019
In my opinion:

6. Shelter Raid Arc (97-112)
5. The Promised Forest Arc (38-64)
4. 7 Walls Arc (113-144)
3. Capital Arc (145+)
2. Gracefield Arc (1-37)
1. Goldy Pond Arc (65-96)
Oct 26, 2019 11:00 AM

Sep 2016
Introduction- Meh
Jailbreak- Probably one of my favourite arcs
Promised Forest- I thought this one was pretty good too
Search for Minerva- Thought this one was enjoyable overall
Cuvitidala- Worst arc

Life has no meaning,
but that doesn't mean
we shouldn't live it

Nov 6, 2019 9:53 AM

Jan 2015
Yes, the first arc set the bar too high, so everything else after that looks shit
XenocrisiNov 6, 2019 9:57 AM
Dec 12, 2019 1:05 PM

Sep 2018
After the grace field arc, I put it on pause because I wanted to marathon it and not have to wait weekly... now I have to wait weekly.

It didn't fall off for me, it kept its suspense and pacing going, granted the gracefield arc is still the hallmark of the series but the rest are not significantly worse that they screw everything up like similar stories (e.g Maze Runner, Hunger Games).

I think Emmas decision really adds depth to the story.
Dec 30, 2019 9:11 PM
May 2016
The first arc is a masterpiece, and while everything afterward has been good, it's just unable to reach the same high quality
Dec 31, 2019 10:47 AM
Dec 2013
Oops. I answered "no" thinking the thread title was the question instead of the actual poll question. Just imagine there's one more vote for "yes" and one less for "no". My bad.
It started getting sour after Goldy Pond with huge exposition dump, the whole Seven Walls thing, and Norman's super-powered army that trivialized things. Where's the struggle, horror, or mind games?

Also Peter Ratri is one of the dumbest and most boring villains ever. His motivation for raiding the escapee's base both times seems so half baked and just an excuse to bring the story to exactly where the author wants. Why are they afraid of the promise being broken and war breaking out when they could easily beat the demons especially considering a ragtag group of super kids could do it with limited resources? Why does the promise make it so the Ratris need to maintain keeping farms in check when the farms are entirely run by the demons anyway? Why is there a god-like character that that can make world peace with a snap of his fingers? The existence of such a character along with Musica is probably just to later hand-wave away all the potentially interesting complications of forming peace between two warring factions that have a predator/prey dynamic. It seems things are happening in service of the author's idea of what the plot should be as opposed to what would actually make sense and it's not any more interesting for it either (that's the worst part). It's just dumb.
Jan 1, 2020 1:16 PM
Apr 2019
Everything after they escaped from Grace Field is boring
Jan 12, 2020 7:19 PM

May 2012
The first arc was definitely the best one. I really dislike the Seven Walls and "demon god" idea. I also dislike how the demons who at the beginning seemed to be the biggest threat, were easily dealt with and the humans have become the true problem for the children.

The humans have killed more of Emma's group than the demons did after they escape the farm.

jesteri said:

C'mon dude, did you really pull the "race card" here? There is nothing here that involves racism and prejudice...they are enemies. They are predator and prey and all demons with the sole exception of Musica, ate humans (Sonju stopped eating them, but just because of his belifes. He made it clear that he wanted to go back to eat them again). The story says that if they don't eat they degenerate so it's a proven fact that they keep eating humans monthly. Even the demon who raised Ayshe ate humans too.

If this isn't enough reason to be enemies with ALL OF THEM then i don't know would it be.

Of course, Musica is there just so Emma can go "the everyone lives route". Without her and her "power" the demons would have to be killed or be left to die without humans to eat.
KaeUBWJan 12, 2020 7:31 PM
I despise woke people.
Jan 12, 2020 8:35 PM

Sep 2018
KaeUBW said:
The first arc was definitely the best one. I really dislike the Seven Walls and "demon god" idea. I also dislike how the demons who at the beginning seemed to be the biggest threat, were easily dealt with and the humans have become the true problem for the children.

The humans have killed more of Emma's group than the demons did after they escape the farm.

jesteri said:

C'mon dude, did you really pull the "race card" here? There is nothing here that involves racism and prejudice...they are enemies. They are predator and prey and all demons with the sole exception of Musica, ate humans (Sonju stopped eating them, but just because of his belifes. He made it clear that he wanted to go back to eat them again). The story says that if they don't eat they degenerate so it's a proven fact that they keep eating humans monthly. Even the demon who raised Ayshe ate humans too.

If this isn't enough reason to be enemies with ALL OF THEM then i don't know would it be.

Of course, Musica is there just so Emma can go "the everyone lives route". Without her and her "power" the demons would have to be killed or be left to die without humans to eat.

Alright, perhaps I phrased that the wrong way. It's more of the saying: "It is better that ten guilty persons go free than one innocent to suffer".

Of course, what if those 10 guilty people were to run around and murder more people? It's easy for me to say that its statistically significant enough that we have a 90%+ success rate, and that 1 dude will just have suck it up and die for this flaw, but when it's my innocent life on the line, you guys can fuck off. I'm not dying for some guilty fuck that's on the loose.

Emma, in her own way, reminds me of Azula from ATLA:

"Almost isn't good enough"

and the message i got from the series is that either i can play it safe and rational, thinking for the rest of my life: "what if I went the other way?" or go all in and risk it all.

The Ratri family embodies the choice of safe, cynical rationality, at the cost of losing their humanity and Emma is supposed to be the opposite.
Jan 12, 2020 11:35 PM

May 2012
jesteri said:
Alright, perhaps I phrased that the wrong way. It's more of the saying: "It is better that ten guilty persons go free than one innocent to suffer".

Of course, what if those 10 guilty people were to run around and murder more people? It's easy for me to say that its statistically significant enough that we have a 90%+ success rate, and that 1 dude will just have suck it up and die for this flaw, but when it's my innocent life on the line, you guys can fuck off. I'm not dying for some guilty fuck that's on the loose.

Emma, in her own way, reminds me of Azula from ATLA:

"Almost isn't good enough"

and the message i got from the series is that either i can play it safe and rational, thinking for the rest of my life: "what if I went the other way?" or go all in and risk it all.

The Ratri family embodies the choice of safe, cynical rationality, at the cost of losing their humanity and Emma is supposed to be the opposite.

Yeah sacrificing one for the good of many can be controversial. I'd rather kill 9 guilty people and maybe 1 Innocent than let 9 guilty and 1 innocent free. There are many who agree with this, but when it's their time to be the sacrifice they won't want it. I liked how you said you didn't want it either XD

But in the case of the story, i'm not sure if i agree with the first Ratry guy who betrayed all the other warriors and made the promise. He did want to end the war, and it most likely saved a lot of people but also put many others to death. It's indeed a difficulty choice, but i probably would prefer fighting the demons as long as there were chances of winning.

Personally though, i hate characters like Emma. "Being merciful to your enemies is being merciless to your friends." If Emma could she would have saved even the queen and for me this would be insanity.

I despise woke people.
Jan 14, 2020 3:53 PM
Mar 2015
Agreed, even Goldy Pond seemed rushed. It would have been fun to see the story in greater detail. The first few arcs kept me in suspense and just wanted to know what's gonna happen next. But now I'm just reading for the sake of wanting to know the ending.

Anyone knows if the manga still has far to go?
Jan 14, 2020 3:55 PM

Nov 2019
got it on hold for now, shame it was one of my favorites.
misato > asuka > rei
Jan 14, 2020 8:37 PM
May 2013
i get the feeling the author had very elaborately planned the Grace Field arc for a long time, and everything that came after that was less thought out. and with the brisk pace of Jump they had less and less time for planning out the arcs, leading to a gradual drop in story quality.

i am basically only continuing to read in the hopes that we would see Isabella again and focus back on the main 3 Grace Field kids, because they are still the only (still living) characters who had good development, and there has never been a better antagonist than Isabella.

and if you've seen chapter 163 then you must know how i feel right now.
Jan 14, 2020 9:11 PM
Jan 2019
It hasn't dropped in quality, it has just shifted in tone. It is no longer about survival, it is about restoration. I can see how this may be less entertaining than, say, the goldy pond arc or the Grace House Escape arc, but the tone shift was kind of necessary to further the story imo.
Jan 15, 2020 5:56 AM

May 2016
No, I enjoy the later arcs quite a bit.
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'
Jan 18, 2020 10:54 PM
Sep 2017
//sits

I'm enjoying it a lot. IMHO all arcs have their fair share of problems including the first one, and all of them have a gripping side to them. I really loved Norman's character arc here, definitely one of the better written characters who has charm and flaws. I'm pretty sure it'll have some interesting twists before the ending. Looking forward to the anime adaptation.
Jan 20, 2020 11:50 PM

Feb 2014
I think the genre has changed, it's completely different from the beginning.
Jan 20, 2020 11:59 PM

Nov 2016
Haven't read it in a while but for me it picked in the first arc, goldie pond was good but I kinda lost interest after that
Jan 27, 2020 3:24 AM
Dec 2019
So how's the latest chapter??
Jan 27, 2020 10:29 AM

Oct 2017
Raon said:
I think the genre has changed, it's completely different from the beginning.

Yeah something about the manga feels different from how it started. There was a lot of mystery in the beginning and nice twists, but now it's a bit confusing and not as enticing as it was before. I started it as a 10/10 from reading the first arc and then the goldie pond arc, but now I'm starting to consider moving it from 7/10 to 6/10. :(
Jan 27, 2020 9:04 PM

Sep 2017
First arc was too good, Goldy Pond was good too overall. But after that it just went downhill in comparison to the two arcs I mentioned.
I mean Grace Field was an easy 9, it's not easy for an author to keep that quality for such a long series, it's sad but understandable.

Feb 15, 2020 5:37 AM
Sep 2017
it defenatly feels like it at least to me.The first arc with the house was spectacular,extrodinary like i thought it was gonna be my favorite from the new shonen area but after that it never got that good again.I think its the right option to end it now,in the 3rd arc,defenetly a good call
Feb 15, 2020 12:15 PM
Oct 2019
The manga become Better ; )
Apr 29, 2020 4:16 AM

Nov 2018
Yes.I don't feel much interested anymore.It just feels like another 'kids geniuses vs aliens' series.Writing becoming worse and worse.Character moments are not as bright as they used to be.I liked Norman's moments, but now he doesn't even talk that much.Ray, despite being the best boy, seems absent for most part of story and we have lots of naive Emma(aka generic shounen protagonist) moments.Looks like the author wants to make the story infinite and I'm already bored of it.

It's rated 5.5/10 in my list now.I still have good memories of it, but there are too little of them.

P.S. if you are looking for good modern shounen, I recommend you to read Beastars manga.
ZevvenApr 29, 2020 4:20 AM
I hate everyone equally
Apr 29, 2020 9:08 AM

Sep 2017
I'm easily pleased when it comes to anime and manga, and I loved the first arc, but yeah I too felt like the quality decreased in the last arcs

I feel like the manga is heading towards a happy and quite naive ending, not sure I like that
Jun 15, 2020 7:05 AM

Sep 2018
Welp, lol the manga has ended. So after 9 months of this thread existing the result is pretty obvious. It's sad to see when something really good becomes a dogshit in a span of just 1 year.
Anyway big thanks to everybody who voted in the poll.
Jolyne Kuujou + Steel Ball Run Universe = Billie Eillish
Jun 15, 2020 8:09 AM
Jan 2015
It is true that there was decline in quality after first arc , but I think it was exactly because the first arc was truly a masterpiece and it was hard to surpass that high expectation from there..
Jun 23, 2020 11:13 AM

Jul 2013
frankykun13 said:
It is true that there was decline in quality after first arc , but I think it was exactly because the first arc was truly a masterpiece and it was hard to surpass that high expectation from there..

imo the quality dropped (at least) twice. nothing was close to the first arc but i still enjoyed the next 70 or 80 chapters but roughly the last third of the series got worse again and declined as the series went on.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Chapter 16 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 20, 2016

19 by Jonas1402 »»
Apr 8, 12:49 PM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Chapter 45 Discussion

zal - Jun 29, 2017

27 by luv_for_anime »»
Mar 23, 5:21 PM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Chapter 20 Discussion

ichii_1 - Dec 26, 2016

19 by instantzoso »»
Mar 18, 12:09 PM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Chapter 26 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 12, 2017

23 by Plume_Neolympe »»
Mar 6, 10:26 AM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Chapter 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 22, 2017

40 by Plume_Neolympe »»
Mar 5, 3:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.