Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 29, 2019 12:16 PM

Jan 2015
Out of curiosity, what do you think the average age is of watching anime? I feel like I'm watching less more than I used to.

How old are you and how often do you watch series?
nymtesxJul 21, 2020 3:08 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 29, 2019 12:21 PM

Oct 2010
I'm 28 and I watch a lot of anime, more than in my youth because I have internet.
Sep 29, 2019 1:10 PM
May 2016
I'm guessing that the average age of watching anime is 13 years.
Sep 29, 2019 2:09 PM
Jul 2018
Those who buy anime are older than those who just watch anime
Sep 29, 2019 2:19 PM

Aug 2015
12-13 was the peak point to start when I did, but now a days it feels like it could be even lower.

I started at 10 and I am 20, so yeah, ten years into this hobby and honestly I don´t pretend to stop (even if I currently watch a lot less due to being an adult and having things to do).
Sep 29, 2019 2:19 PM

Oct 2017
I am going to say the average age is between 16-21 for those that just watch anime. Diehard fans are going to be a lot older probably in their late 20's early 30's as they have more disposable income usually. I am around 22 and I started getting into anime/manga when I was around 10 years old. I am probably much more into anime/manga than I was in my teen or childhood years though.
Sep 29, 2019 2:22 PM

Mar 2018
I'm 19 at the moment and the same goes for me. I used to consume more shows than possible 2 years ago. Nowadays I spend my time on forums.
LuchseNov 5, 2019 11:15 AM

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Sep 29, 2019 2:27 PM

Nov 2018
I'm 16 yrs. and started watching anime in 15.I guess,I started to watch a bit late.
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Sep 29, 2019 2:32 PM
Sep 2019
31 I don't watch as much anime as I used to. When I first started, everything was considered good, b/c I didn't refine my tastes and didn't have enough experience with it to discern its quality.

Now that I've gotten older, I've narrowed my preferences down, but still give anime genre's outside my normal circle a chance. I've become more of an anime generalist in a sense....I can't just stick to one genre all the time.
Sep 29, 2019 2:37 PM
Oct 2013
I'm 28 and I'm still watching a good amount of anime. I started as a child watching in open TV (latam dubs were so good), but my hobby started when I was around 13, I paused it a little when I was in college and then re-started hard to kinda catch-up. I don't read as much manga as I used, tho.

The big difference is that now I pay for the anime and I'm more selective with what I watch, I want good animation, good history and feel good about what I watched.
narielgSep 29, 2019 3:12 PM
Sep 29, 2019 2:44 PM

Apr 2014
I started watching anime knowing that it was anime in like 2010, at the age of 13, and I'm still watching anime, and I'm still not tired of it, so yeah....
Sep 29, 2019 2:48 PM

Oct 2017
The thing is, I bet the number of fans in their mid-late twenties and up actually outnumbers the younger fans.

BUT, fans who are still in education have more time to watch. So they dominate watch time statistics. Big media companies know this, and it's why so much mainstream media across every medium is targeted at the ~16-21 age range. That's where the money is.

It's funny, I sometimes drop in to r/anime discussion threads, though a lot less than I used to. And for an episode of Takagi-san last season, there was a hugely upvoted comment and stream of replies from people saying how funny it was that they are in their mid-twenties and even thirties, yet watching this cutesy school kid romance show. But I wasn't that surprised. I think those sorts of shows are probably vastly more popular with older fans. Same with SOL, and of course serious dramatic stuff.

Basically, it looks like the fandom is dominated by teenage battle shounen fans, because they are loud and have the time to spend spreading their voices. Older fans are at work and even have a family, plus they tend to develop more niche tastes. So, not only are they quieter and less in your face, but the focus of their attention is spread out.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Sep 29, 2019 2:49 PM
Jun 2019
hahaha. Well, the only thing that someone needs to understand is nobody can not be 50 years old and still watching animes about lolis... Let's suposse.

I started to watch anime this years at my 19 years old. I used to watch Dragon Ball and Naruto, but nothing serious (Maybe at the age of 9-10, or earlier). Now, Every time I can, I spend my time watching and downloading anime.

Between 13-16 is a good average to start and 30-35 years old could be a peak to stop, I think. Anyway, what do I know about it🤣.
Sep 29, 2019 2:55 PM

Dec 2018
well it depends, you get into anime pretty early on but dont really start watching a lot till your significantly older
Sep 29, 2019 2:55 PM

Dec 2018
well it depends, you get into anime pretty early on but dont really start watching a lot till your significantly older
Sep 29, 2019 3:37 PM
Jul 2019
Well, I'm 39, and pretty much any offline party I go to has someone else my age or older who watches a lot of anime. People my age generally got into anime via Cowboy Bebop/Sailor Moon on tv 20 years ago, or from watching newer stuff with their tweenage kids.

Fandom just skews younger because it's hard to keep up with fandom drama once you have real problems in your life.
Sep 29, 2019 3:42 PM

Jul 2017

Source: https://expandedramblings.com/index.php/crunchyroll-facts-statistics/

Not surprising to see that most people who watch anime are young, considering that the younger you are, the more time you have.
Sep 29, 2019 3:42 PM

Sep 2013
I started watching anime when I was around 10 years old and I'm currently 21 as of writing this. I have a lot of friends my age who still watch anime. And I'd say I watch a lot less anime then I used to because as a kid, I would watch anything I could get my hands on. Now I'm a lot more picky with my shows. Also, I have a lot more responsibilities and a lot less time to spare then I did as a child so there's that too.
Sep 29, 2019 5:11 PM

May 2009
YossaRedMage said:
The thing is, I bet the number of fans in their mid-late twenties and up actually outnumbers the younger fans.

BUT, fans who are still in education have more time to watch. So they dominate watch time statistics. Big media companies know this, and it's why so much mainstream media across every medium is targeted at the ~16-21 age range. That's where the money is.
This sounds like a most plausible assessment, yeah.

YossaRedMage said:
And for an episode of Takagi-san last season, there was a hugely upvoted comment and stream of replies from people saying how funny it was that they are in their mid-twenties and even thirties, yet watching this cutesy school kid romance show. But I wasn't that surprised. I think those sorts of shows are probably vastly more popular with older fans. Same with SOL, and of course serious dramatic stuff.
There was a meme making the rounds that Call of Duty was made for adults but played by kids, while Splatoon was made for kids but played by adults. :P

(Frankly speaking, a lot of us who are adults now actually grew up with this stuff anyway. We grew up with anime; why wouldn't we still have at least some sort of appreciation of it after all these years?)

_Ridley_ said:
Well, I'm 39, and pretty much any offline party I go to has someone else my age or older who watches a lot of anime. People my age generally got into anime via Cowboy Bebop/Sailor Moon on tv 20 years ago, or from watching newer stuff with their tweenage kids.
Well I guess I've now figured out how old the space pirate dragon is :D

(older than me at least lol)

Also I hadn't thought of that last way of getting into anime -- "watching newer stuff with their tweenage kids". It makes a lot of sense.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Sep 29, 2019 5:52 PM

Aug 2011
I'm guessing the largest percentage of anime fans are in their mid/late teens to their early/mid 20s. Of course there are plenty of fans who are younger and older than that, but I think that's the average.

I'm 34, and I started getting into anime seriously when I was 13-14. I watched more when I was younger than I do now, but I still watch at least some anime almost every day, usually around 2-3 episodes. It's rarely less than 1 episode or more than 5, but it just depends on what else I have going on. I haven't come close to losing interest, so I'm sure I'll keep watching it for at least several more years.
Sep 29, 2019 5:58 PM

Jun 2016
24 here and I watch a two or three episodes a week. Just kinda depends on the time i have and what is going on. Easily i can watch a full series in a day if given the time though.
Sep 29, 2019 6:15 PM

Jun 2019
I'm 28 and only started at 25 (and even then it was only a few animes within the span of a year each year until this year, whereas I'm pretty much watching anime shows back to back now).

There is a huge young demographic for the fighting monster shows based on trading cards and video games, but I'm unsure what portion of these children are the native Japanese viewers and how many Westerners/international kids are part of that audience by comparison.

If you just take anime as a whole, it's probably mid to older teens to early 20s at the most. Because the general life narrative then is once you're above college age and out of your early 20s you are, if you're dutiful and responsible, supposed to be in a career with a lot less free time until you retire or die, and even the free time you have is supposed to be spent more on other people (wife/relationship and kids if you have them, socialization with co-workers who probably aren't into anime or know anything of it, etc.) and things considered oriented more toward "adults".

That's why there's a lot of people in anime fandom though who are eager to reach outside of the expected constraints of their demographic and pursue their interests and passions without regard to age. The casual watchers will always skew younger and the seasoned hardcore people who are knowledgeable and enthusiastic about it and feel it contributes something worthwhile to their life will naturally be older.

Honestly, people try to make everything in life revolve around your age. As a child you're told there's so many things you can't or shouldn't be watching and now as an adult, there's still people who want to tell us this and control people's lives? As long as I was interested in the story, I watched R-rated horror and war movies as a kid when I was 10 years-old with a smile and I can watch the most wholesome family friendly programs now marketed as children's entertainment and find myself beaming.

The best and most simple advice, whatever your age may be, is to watch whatever you find compelling and brings some value, great thoughts and feelings into your life.

Sep 29, 2019 6:40 PM
Apr 2018
Started at 10 when I was soo obsessed with Naruto and One piece, and now I watch more and more anime ( I’m 16 now). I guess the average is 10?? My friends also started at 10-12
*Too lazy to make another signature*
Sep 29, 2019 6:53 PM
Mar 2018
Most of the people I talk to who watch anime are, in my experience anyway, generally around the age of 14-25 (some older than 25). I myself didn't start watching anime until I was 16, mainly because I never took the incentive prior, and the friends I had back then who did watch anime, would always recommend me some series that didn't interest me.
Sep 29, 2019 7:05 PM
Sep 2017
I don´t think theres an "age to watch anime", since anime has shounen or shoujos for young people and seinen and others adults theme anime.

My age is 19, I´m currently watching Legend of the galactic heros, Soukyuu no fafner, Kaguya-sama, Vindland Saga, and SAO alicization.
Sep 29, 2019 8:12 PM

Aug 2018
According to some polls ive seen on reddit its around 18-25 which makes sense considering how a lot of people who now watch anime started with shows like the big shounens of the early 2000s such as bleach and naruto

I mean im 19 myself so...
Sep 29, 2019 8:13 PM

Mar 2015
17, but I've watched a lot alreay, so I've really slowed down : \

I started watching actively when I was 11 though, and was using MAL by 13.
woah there
Sep 29, 2019 8:16 PM

May 2015
I started watching anime when I was around 17. I'm now 21 and the amount I binge has definitely decreased whereas the amount of seasonals I watch weekly has increased, but probably not enough to balance it out. So I guess the older I get the less I watch, but it's still currently a decent amount.

♡ artist
サコ
Sep 29, 2019 8:29 PM
Jul 2018
I'm 31 and started following anime series only 2 years ago. Bad time of life to get into anime since there's so much to watch and I barely have time. I watch 4-5 seasonal episodes a week and 4-5 more over weekends.
Sep 29, 2019 9:25 PM
Jul 2019
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Also I hadn't thought of that last way of getting into anime -- "watching newer stuff with their tweenage kids". It makes a lot of sense.

I know a woman who really got into shoujo manga because she read her daughter's stash and now they share manga and anime all the time. Wholesome af, really.
Sep 29, 2019 9:34 PM

Jul 2007
I'm 31 and watched anime the most during my college years. Now i watch a couple of shows a season. I spend more of my time now watching normal TV shows and reading web novels. My interests tend to cycle and right now anime/manga is at a low.
Sep 29, 2019 9:46 PM

Mar 2018
i'm currently 20 and watch probably a series a week, if i have time? sometimes more, sometimes less. if im home for a break or with my bf, we watch wayyyyy more because we're dumb
Sep 29, 2019 10:10 PM

Mar 2013
I started watching anime when I was around 15-16 years old. Now I'm 24 and I still watch anime but not as much though. Now I either get burned out too easily or I just don't have enough time, but I still watch it.. yup.

Sep 29, 2019 10:27 PM

Nov 2008
Started at age 12ish....I'm in my thirties and have no intention of stopping.

....I cannot binge-watch as much as I used to or my eyes will start to hurt...bleh getting old sucks. lol

Sep 29, 2019 11:54 PM

Jan 2010
Started when I'm still a grade schooler.
The peak was around high school till university when I discovered internet.
Now I'm 25 yo and a full time employee, aside from I no longer have much spare time, I also developed a preference so I only watch what I like. Back then I used to be more open.
Sep 30, 2019 1:58 AM

Jul 2019
I am 16 currently and I started watching anime when I was 11 or 12.
Sep 30, 2019 2:13 AM

May 2018
46 and I watch averagely 3-4 times a week.

By the way, why asking only about series?
alshuOct 1, 2019 1:50 AM
Sep 30, 2019 2:26 AM

Jan 2018
I'm 40 and watch a good deal, usually have 3 or 4 shows going at a time. There are some very adult anime out there, in terms of complexity, and of course in terms of humor. There's also a lot of just straight up great stories that I believe are ageless. If I really allowed myself to care about demographics and what's 'appropriate' for my age group according to society, I would have missed out on some of the greatest stories I've ever seen.

Funny thing, some people say "Anime are cartoons, and cartoons are only for kids. Excuse me as I go watch The Simpsons, Bob's Burgers, Family Guy, South Park, King of the Hill, Archer, American Dad, Rick and Morty, Futurama, etc." Slightly hypocritical much?
You can make me grow old, but you can never make me grow up!
Oct 1, 2019 1:16 AM

Jun 2017
https://myanimelist.net/advertising
I'm 22 myself and I started watching anime around 18
@Ferien Sorry, I don't know myself
mhkrOct 1, 2019 7:22 PM
Oct 1, 2019 2:02 AM

Oct 2017
mhkr said:

The fact that they’re all listed as countries... and then you have England.
Oct 1, 2019 5:00 AM

Nov 2014
The more hardcore fanst are usually older, but I think average is pretty low - maybe around 14 or 16? At least that was my impression from anime convention. It probably differs between countries too - for example I wouldn't be surprised if Japan had older audience, while the younger ones (school age) don't see themselves as anime fans and rather casual watchers of cartoons.
Oct 1, 2019 5:17 AM

Apr 2017
I think I watched most anime in my late teens. I still watch a lot now, but considerably less than I used to. Though it depends on the series I'm watching too and there is certain cyclical element to it when sometimes I watch a lot more and sometimes a lot less. So if I averaged it the difference may not actually be as big as it might seem to me right now given that I'm currently in the cycle when I watch less.

As for what I think the average is, I would suspect around 15-16 years old.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Oct 1, 2019 5:21 AM
Oct 2019
maybe around 8-25, depending on which country you are from.
Oct 1, 2019 6:06 AM
Ecchi_no_Ou

Oct 2018
I would say the average is somewhere between 10 and early 20s.

I started when I was 10 with Dragon Ball, Tsubasa and Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X). Then, Dragon Ball Z, GT, Pokemon, Naruto and One Piece.
Unfortunately, when I went to College I stopped almost completely - just kept watching Naruto/Shippuuden - because I had almost no free time.

Then, 3/4 years ago I suddenly fell in love again with Anime and now, at 33, I may be called an otaku, usually watching 40-50 episodes per week. I just can't imagine my life without Anime anymore.
And for those who claim that Anime is for kids, that it's dying or that nowadays there are only poor adaptations and cra*** shows, I say that maybe you should mature a little bit more and search a little better because I still find a lot of gems every single month: Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai, Hyouka, Demi-chan wa Kataritai, Violet Evergarden, Chihayafuru, Kimi no Na wa, Koe no Katachi, Kimi no Suizou wo Tabetai, Boku dake ga Inai Machi, Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken, and the list just goes on...
Oct 1, 2019 1:53 PM

Dec 2012
Most of the users here seem like teens or early 20s.

I'll be 37 in December, been watching since I was 12. Been a fan since the birth of Toonami in the mid 90s 20+ years ago. I am always following at least 5-10 shows, unless it's like now when everything in the season is wrapping up and the new season hasn't started up yet.
KruszerOct 1, 2019 2:29 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Oct 1, 2019 2:13 PM

Aug 2018
I-AM-NO-SLAVE said:
On the basis of how the average Anime-Fan talks and acts I would say the average age is 5-10. I'm "???" years old and now I watch more Anime than before.
??? that's 3 gaps...are u 100 years old? :O
Enjoy the ride...
Oct 1, 2019 2:26 PM

Dec 2016
mhkr said:

Is this considering only active accounts? Because a lot of the now 25+ users here are inactive accounts
Oct 1, 2019 4:51 PM

Jan 2017
Started at 13, now I am 22. After I got a job, I have a lot less free time.
Oct 1, 2019 5:55 PM
Sep 2018
My begins remount about 12 ago in hardcore level, but in infancy watch too. Im of 90's version.
Oct 1, 2019 8:27 PM

Aug 2010
Late teens/early twenties would be my guess.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 14 minutes ago

1 by Zarutaku »»
1 minute ago

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 4 hours ago

18 by deg »»
4 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

62 by Pinoffin »»
10 minutes ago

» Underrated character designs/outfits you think are appealing / sexy

IpreferEcchi - 2 hours ago

4 by LightWorker »»
22 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - Yesterday

43 by TRC_Randy »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.