Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Sep 22, 2019 1:55 PM
Aug 2019
xenosys said:

In anycase, I think the anime is fantastic and should it get a S2 will go on to become a classic if it's continued to be adapted well.

Is it true that the manga is only half finished? I feel like I read that somewhere but I may not be remembering it clearly.
Sep 22, 2019 2:03 PM

Mar 2018
"Prince. Are you sure he's not the princess?" My thoughts as well.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Sep 22, 2019 2:22 PM

May 2019
The last few episodes had some shounen-ish moments like Thorkell throwing huge-ass boulders as he was Garp, and Thorfinn Naruto running and jumping meters high. But they cut it simple this episode and I loved it. Thorkell shredding men was a great scene and didn't irritate me like the boulder part.

Also, the conversations at the beginning were also very well-made. Natural, realistic, yet sometimes a little brutal.

And as always I'm amazed by Askeladd's intelligence. The dude's such a well-written character. You love him and hate him at the same time.

All in all it was a great episode. 5/5. One of the best episodes of the anime (not the best tho)
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Sep 22, 2019 2:43 PM
Jan 2019
Little by little and we see another confrontation between Thorfinn and Thorkell in the midst of the flames, it would have been great, but Thorkell brought a moment of intrigue to Thorfinn by mentioning his father Thors, the only one who could beat him. Thorkell is crazy, and the other Normans also for Valhalla, but he recognizes strength and shows respect for those he considers true warriors.

Ps: I knew it! I knew the prince was a woman, although it is not yet fully confirmed. Canute could be another one of those characters with a woman's face šŸ˜….
Sep 22, 2019 2:51 PM

Apr 2014
A burning deer and a horse is not what I wanted to see today. oh well
Sep 22, 2019 3:10 PM
Apr 2016
Ah, that was a real massacre, Thorkell had his fun. We got to see Canute's face, that was interesting.
Sep 22, 2019 3:47 PM

Apr 2015
phantomfandom said:
Almost drop but the prince give me a hope he'll become Thorfinn's lover.

pffff hold on your hope and you will get nothing
Sep 22, 2019 4:09 PM

Jun 2019
Another good episode, much better than the last one. I liked Thorkell at first, but his personality gets kinda grating. Askeladd is probably my favorite character so far.

I laughed out loud at the scene were those two soldiers realize they're enemies.

I hope Canute actually does something in this series, he looks really cool so I hope he doesn't go to waste. Maybe he'll fight defensively?
Sep 22, 2019 4:51 PM

Jul 2017
Well, it's not damning to see the disparities between the Christian and Norse mythology. In fact, it's much less empathically than the wars of the time with endless mockery. Such is the reference of Jesus turning water into wine, with one of His followers being psychologically tortured by mockery saying that the god he worships is the one who made alcohol. That was literally Thorkell's motivation to díshonour the gods and worship the army of people in war.

Thorkell is just as brutal as he is during the battle of the London Bridge. However, Askeladd has a much brilliant idea instead, to burn the grounds with charcoal to separate Thorkell's forces and (Prince) Canute's small, incapable force. That namedrop from Thorkell to Thorfinn is just scary, not just because he knew Thorfinn's family, plus the mother, seems there's some history between Thors and Thorkell.

Loved that brief moment where enemy and foe aren't separated by force but by scenario, but got caught in the crossfire instead.

"Prince? Surely he doesn't mean the Princess...?" Even with that eventual reveal of Canute, WOW that stunned me. Really wanting to see who Canute really is.
KANLen09Sep 22, 2019 4:59 PM
Sep 22, 2019 5:14 PM

Nov 2017
So trap of the year finally shows his face! Looking forward to his character and what he will do.
Sep 22, 2019 5:23 PM

Sep 2019
shane_nichols said:
Amazing show. 10/10 . However the media is gonna get pissed off over the first half. The dialogue was very mature, but it really mocked christianity. And things like this don't pass well over. And this is why 20th century boys will probably never get an anime adaption. Non the less, AOTY.

What are you talking about? Of course the non-christian vikings would banter like that, it's not mocking from the part of the writers at all, just realistic, consistent writing. Stop stirring up bullshit controversy where there is none.
Sep 22, 2019 5:46 PM
Jul 2019
Fantyyy said:
shane_nichols said:
Amazing show. 10/10 . However the media is gonna get pissed off over the first half. The dialogue was very mature, but it really mocked christianity. And things like this don't pass well over. And this is why 20th century boys will probably never get an anime adaption. Non the less, AOTY.

What are you talking about? Of course the non-christian vikings would banter like that, it's not mocking from the part of the writers at all, just realistic, consistent writing. Stop stirring up bullshit controversy where there is none.

That media will probably get upset with this tbh. They got pissed with Tanjiros earrings so it doesn’t seem impossible that they’ll try and make a fuss about this, cause they like to start bullshit controversies.
Jaegerbomb_106Sep 22, 2019 5:50 PM
Sep 22, 2019 5:54 PM
Jun 2015
Jaegerbomb_106 said:
Fantyyy said:

That media will probably get upset with this tbh. They got pissed with Tanjiros earrings so it doesn’t seem impossible that they’ll try and make a fuss about this, cause they like to start bullshit controversies.
I mean I liked the dialogue but this just screams SJW toxicity incoming
Sep 22, 2019 6:22 PM

Feb 2019
Wicker_Senpai93 said:
Another good episode, much better than the last one. I liked Thorkell at first, but his personality gets kinda grating. Askeladd is probably my favorite character so far.

I laughed out loud at the scene were those two soldiers realize they're enemies.

I hope Canute actually does something in this series, he looks really cool so I hope he doesn't go to waste. Maybe he'll fight defensively?

No worries he will have a good character development and this arc is actually focus on him and Askeladd as you can see his character says "main".
Sep 22, 2019 6:54 PM

Dec 2013
Whoever made alcohol LOL

Thorkell was mowing the fodder down!

At least they got Canute. Now the chase begins!
Sep 22, 2019 11:47 PM

May 2013
Is Canute male or female? you can spoil me just put spoiler tag
Sep 23, 2019 12:01 AM

Mar 2019
That was a fun episode. Totally forgot about that scene in the end where one of Ragnar's and Thorkell's men come out of the smoke together only to realize their enemies, but are then slaughtered by Askeladd's men before they can fight. Lol

Mercuri said:
Is Canute male or female? you can spoil me just put spoiler tag

Sep 23, 2019 12:13 AM

Nov 2018
Thorkell turning into a blender on those soldiers was amazing, definitely not holding back on the censorship with this one.

Great episode

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time šŸ™šŸ™
Sep 23, 2019 12:56 AM

Jul 2016
Honestly, not one of the strongest episodes so far. It got better in the second half, but those first 10 minutes were painful. Weird crowds of CG jelly people and a really out-of-place fanservice gag about Christian women. I'd expect that in an ecchi show, not fucking Vinland Saga. It's like last week when a bunch of people were complaining that a rape scene got removed. Well, I guess they've still got this.

Other than that though, it's good. The usual. I like it when good is the usual. Next!
Sep 23, 2019 1:26 AM

May 2015
A_Sad_Dust_Cloud said:
Honestly, not one of the strongest episodes so far. It got better in the second half, but those first 10 minutes were painful. Weird crowds of CG jelly people and a really out-of-place fanservice gag about Christian women. I'd expect that in an ecchi show, not fucking Vinland Saga. It's like last week when a bunch of people were complaining that a rape scene got removed. Well, I guess they've still got this.

Other than that though, it's good. The usual. I like it when good is the usual. Next!
so men talking about women is fanservice,ok.
Sep 23, 2019 1:28 AM

May 2019
Man, Thorkell's incredible. A god on the battlefield, so you can just imagine how strong a bloodlusted Thors would be.

Thorfinn's going to have some psychological development soon, I hope. Every few episodes his character just gets deeper and deeper, and I'm loving it.

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Sep 23, 2019 1:39 AM

Jan 2019
A_Sad_Dust_Cloud said:

Oh so now men talking about women and some imagery regarding the topic is now regarded as "fanservice"? Not to mention that these are NORSE men. Considering what they do for a living, you think that them talking about Christian women seems "out of place"? The mood here is very much banter, it did not seem jarring at all
ElucidSep 23, 2019 7:12 AM
Sep 23, 2019 1:39 AM

Jul 2016
nanashi796 said:
A_Sad_Dust_Cloud said:

so men talking about women is fanservice,ok.

Nah, it mean the way it was edited. It comes up in like a pink box taking up the whole screen, covering up everything else as it pans across her, like it would in a ecchi show. But this isn't an ecchi show. It's a semi-serious historical drama. I don't have a problem that the characters were talking about it, but I think the scene would have been better if they'd left out the massive pink, glowing box, or at least framed it differently so that it fits more in the show's aesthetic.

As it is now, when it came on screen it just kinda pulled me out of the scene and ruined the tone for me in that first ten minutes. Sorry if my first explanation wasn't very clear.
Sep 23, 2019 1:41 AM

Jul 2016
Elucid said:
A_Sad_Dust_Cloud said:

Oh so now men talking about women and some imagery regarding the topic is now regarded as "fanservice"? Not to mention that these are NORSE men. Considering what they do for a living, you think that them talking about Christian women seems "out of place"? Not to mention that the mood was very much banter, it did not seem jarring at all.

^See above

It wasn't a problem with the context and story of the scene, but the way it was storyboarded and edited, that I thought could be improved. Sorry if my explanation was confusing the first time.
Sep 23, 2019 4:14 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Imagine assuming someone's gender in 2019 smh

Or well, I guess it's not exactly 2019 within the show though -.^
Sep 23, 2019 4:16 AM

Feb 2014
ttcchen said:

shane_nichols said:

I actually really like the way they didn't cater to the audience and treat religions with respect so as to not offend anyone. Because this is the vikings period we're talking about where violence, assault, rape is common. Religious people are not going to be treated with respect everywhere they go, especially not by brutes like those guys. It's more realistic this way, and i love it.

They did portray it as the medieval ages so there's no chance for lash-back. Also they did mention converting would be a pain in the back since how strict it is.

heg said:
Canute is a pretty boy or bishonen lol

they're the same thing

Short_Circut said:
So like...are we ever gonna hear Canute actually speak or something? Or is it gonna be like Nezuko where all the VA pretty much does it just grunt everywhere, he's still the best waifu in this show though

hands down best waifu of the season

phantomfandom said:

i think we all know who the 'fe'male lead of this show is now lol
i ship it

When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Sep 23, 2019 4:23 AM
Jul 2018
"You sure it's not a girl?"

Prince Canute looked very much like a girl in the manga. He's definitely looking like a (pretty) boy here in the anime - I guess the wide shoulders make that obvious.

I can't wait until his testosterone starts to wake up later on.
Sep 23, 2019 4:34 AM

Nov 2014
Wicker_Senpai93 said:

he's a major badass later on
Sep 23, 2019 4:59 AM
Sep 2016
youthful said:
"You sure it's not a girl?"

Prince Canute looked very much like a girl in the manga. He's definitely looking like a (pretty) boy here in the anime - I guess the wide shoulders make that obvious.

I can't wait until his testosterone starts to wake up later on.

Canute is a Griffith without autism and not homosexual for Guts / Thorfin, so he is what Griffith wanted to be
Sep 23, 2019 5:38 AM
Jan 2019
I believe the prince is a boy not a trap
if that not happened I hope romance occur
Sep 23, 2019 5:45 AM

May 2012
I just noticed that Thorkell and Thors were fighting together in the ship in the beginning of 1st episode
Sep 23, 2019 6:01 AM
Apr 2016
Jaegerbomb_106 said:
Fantyyy said:

Vikings were full fledged retards and them badmouthing a better religion does not seem strange and is definitely not insulting - it would be strange if they were behaving courteous and civil. If anyone this age has a problem with this more or less realistic depiction of vikings, they also fall under the full-fledged retards category.
Re:formed
Sep 23, 2019 6:38 AM

Feb 2014
Thorkell is becoming even more likeable character now. Not only was his sense of humour funny enough to make his whole army laugh a lot (at the expense of poor Christianity again), but his fighting prowess was, once again, untouchable. He's just spinning in a circle while holding his two axes and he kills a good chunk of the enemy soldiers so easily.

But I do like how, after seeing Thorfinn again, he was honest to him about Thors. Thorfinn was surprised that Thorkell knew his father and mother and probably even more surprised that Thorkell admitted to him that Thors was stronger than he was. I'm sure that these two will meet again very soon, as this second meeting between these two was very good.

As for Canute, he really does look more like a female when he takes his helmet off, so no wonder the other soldiers were really confused. I still think he's a male, but I'll let the next episode potentially confirm that or not.
Sep 23, 2019 8:37 AM

Nov 2013
I'm really enjoying this series but - anyone else gotten a somewhat filler-ish feeling so far from some episodes? Like some scenes don't carry weight or could be shorter etc.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Sep 23, 2019 9:19 AM

Jul 2019
Askellad really is a lucky guy, but I have the the feeling this won't last for long.

Thorkell was so excited to face Carnute a few episodes ago, so I believe under the trap surface is a fearsome warrior.
Sep 23, 2019 9:44 AM

Feb 2017
Good episode with some nice action. Loved the talk about Christianity

One interesting thing about it is that the only thing the mangaka asked of the anime team was to try and make Prince Canute even prettier than he is in the manga and I feel they succeeded.
Sep 23, 2019 9:58 AM

Mar 2018
MegamiRem said:
Hmm I wonder if the prince is actually a princess in disguise or he is just boy with a girlish face, lets wait and see.
He’s a man just saying
Sep 23, 2019 11:48 AM

May 2012
According to Vinland Saga Creator, Episode 11's TV Version is Cut
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-09-23/vinland-saga-creator-episode-11-tv-version-is-cut-full-version-is-on-amazon-prime/.151442

Full Version is on Amazon Prime
Sep 23, 2019 11:50 AM

Jul 2016
Canute is a quite handsome man, not gonna lie. That said, I hope his character can offer more to the plot than just looks.

Good episode overall. Thorkell shredding men like a blender made my day but I especially can't wait to see him and Thorfinn talking about Thors. I have a slight guess they (Thorfinn and Thorkell) might be relatives but I'm not really sure...
Sep 23, 2019 12:09 PM
Sep 2015

There is no doubt, they cut the fire forest scene because of Kyoto Animation incident.
Sep 23, 2019 12:46 PM

Feb 2019
Fantastic episode. The banter at the beginning was genuinely funny especially the pause after "whichever one made booze", and then everyone bursting into laughter. Overall I am really enjoying that there is more emphasis on conversation in this series than the norm.

The Thorkell and Thorfinn confrontation is the perfect example of how to build tension and anticipation for a rematch on the battlefield. If they had fought then and there it would not have felt nearly as rewarding. Now I really want to see their next battle.

The Canute reveal was not all that surprising. They made him look as effeminate as possible right from the first moment we were introduced to him. Not shocking.

All the complaints about this episode so far seem like personal preference. People need to stop expecting this show to be an accurate account of this era and realize the artist is taking liberties and trying to make the story exciting. It was never a near one to one account of this time period and it was obvious from the beginning it was never going to be.

I can't imagine cutting scenes from this and retaining continuity at the same time. Glad I saw the full episode, but I understand why they did what they did.

I'd give the episode at least a 9/10.

Sep 23, 2019 12:48 PM
Jun 2015
phantomfandom said:

There is no doubt, they cut the fire forest scene because of Kyoto Animation incident.
Hmmm? But saw the fire lol. A deer and horse got burned up as well as some of canutes men.
Sep 23, 2019 3:14 PM

Dec 2016
I liked the part at the beginning with Thorkell and the vikings messing around, it really added to Thorkell's characterization and was pretty funny too. I suspected Thorkell might be related to Thorfinn since they look similar and Thorkell mentioned Thorfinn's mother's name, and that combined with people being unable to go five seconds without spoiling pretty much confirms it.

Also Canute is sexy, no homo of course. I actually thought he would be one of those edgy badass type characters like Thorfinn, but it seems he's actually pretty demure. Perhaps that will change since not much has been revealed about him.

What's the difference?
Sep 23, 2019 3:16 PM
Nov 2017
shane_nichols said:
phantomfandom said:

Hmmm? But saw the fire lol. A deer and horse got burned up as well as some of canutes men.

Maybe the one that got cut is from a japanese TV show, and we've seen the uncut version?
Sep 23, 2019 4:22 PM

Sep 2017
great episode! looking forward to the next one!
Canute kinda looks like a girl but i do think he is one.
The fighting was amazing. I'm also amazed by Thorffin's fighting skills.
seems to me that Thorkell has taken an interest or maybe a liking to Thorffin.
Sep 23, 2019 5:42 PM
Jun 2015
cherry_memoir said:
great episode! looking forward to the next one!
Canute kinda looks like a girl but i do think he is one.
The fighting was amazing. I'm also amazed by Thorffin's fighting skills.
seems to me that Thorkell has taken an interest or maybe a liking to Thorffin.
well no shit he's takin a liking to the son of badass Thors lol
Sep 23, 2019 6:45 PM

Jan 2019
FMmatron said:
Time to put Thorkell into my favs.

I still don't see him in your favs, haha.
Don't forget about best girl.
Sep 23, 2019 6:57 PM

Nov 2016
Elucid said:
FMmatron said:
Time to put Thorkell into my favs.

I still don't see him in your favs, haha.
Don't forget about best girl.

Hehe,was too lazy too add him and some others to my additional favs, but sooner or later he will end up there :D

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 23, 2019 7:51 PM

Dec 2015
phantomfandom said:

You nearly dropped one of the best shows of the entire year but now you'll keep watching because you're hoping for yaoi? Your tastes are trash.
Sep 23, 2019 11:32 PM

Oct 2016
-This Priest is not very good at his job huh. The whole "whoever made alcohol" thing was actually pretty clever writing (Jesus turned water to wine).
-This entire battle played out very interestingly. I will admit, that while it isn't very logical or whatever, I am always a big fan of the whole "warrior's honor" thing. It gets the testosterone flowing.
-Thorkell is still very interesting and very crazy. (More at 11:00).
-See, that "disappearing" thing really bothers me. I just can't take that seriously when there's characters based off real people on-screen. Even without the context, it's still a goofy trope, especially for this setting.
-I like Thorfinn's and Thorkell's interactions. Can't wait to see more of that.
-And so we finally get to see Cnut. He has a badass helmet and will definitely be a cool character, I bet. Though, pretty boys have a tendency to annoy me. I hope good ol' Cnut doesn't.
Besides a few weird animation moments, this was another good episode.

Mike4992 said:
I can already see the rule 34 & rule 64 of Canute appearing by the end of this season.

Good episode, Thorkell was happy to see Thorfinn, and it seems that Thorkell knew Thors. I hope they elaborate their relationship more in the next episodes.

I liked how the war scenes are portrayed in this anime, they are very realistic and include a lot of violence. I am looking forward to seeing more fight scenes later on in the series.

Still no Kensho Ono...

Overall, 5/5

>I liked how the war scenes are portrayed in this anime, they are very realistic and include a lot of violence. I am looking forward to seeing more fight scenes later on in the series.
>Include a lot of violence
Yes.
>very realistic
Hmmmmmmmm...

shane_nichols said:

I may have a bit of a bias in saying this, but Christians aren't usually as vocally upset about these things as a lot used to be. Even my mother, who is bordering Evangelism, understood the historical context and just brushed it off. Context is what is important. Christian hostages were being verbally abused by Norse Pagan vikings. It's nothing too unbelievable.
Christians really aren't trying to censor as much now-a-days. Most of us kind of just want to do our own thing without having certain unnecessary things pushed on us. But even if there was a vocally outraged group in the West, what makes you think it would have any effect in Japan? I think you are a bit misinformed on who wants to censor who.
Even recently, Emily Wilson is an author who is being pushed as great by many colleges and news-sites. She has censored both Christian and non-Christian works in order to fit a modern mindset. This type of censorship is something that is actively affecting our world, and it seems to be more and more accepted in the name of progress.
Like I said, I may be speaking with bias, but as far as censorship goes, you are worrying about the wrong groups. If anything, this scene will probably just slightly annoy a few Christian anime fans who don't understand context. The only times I have seen censorship affect anime in the West, for example, would be Funimation dubbing Dragon Maid (or whatever it's called) and Prison School in a way that changes the scripts to push an agenda. Come to think of it, the only open outrage against anime comes from certain websites that complained about anime like Goblin Slayer and Shield Hero.
Sorry if this came off as a bit of a rant. I really do have a digressing problem sometimes, but I just thought you were overstating a small problem and wanted to make my case.

I wonder which version I watched then. Does anyone know what all was cut?

Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by Herrior »»
Apr 23, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

795 by Lawgun »»
Apr 23, 3:43 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

391 by ecklonia »»
Apr 15, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.