Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 14, 2019 8:59 PM

Jun 2015
So the season's coming to an end with only 1 more episode left for most anime. What anime did You enjoy watching this season and which 3 were your absolute favorites? What anime were disappointed by or just plain didn't like?
My top 3 AOTS are 1. Kanata no Astra 2. Dumbbell nan Kilo Moteru 3. Enen no Shoubutai

I think Astra is super underrated. It's a mystery/space/adventure anime and it's well animated and the story is just mind-blowing. There's layer and layers of mystery unraveled throughout the episodes. I highly recommend any mystery anime fan to check it out.
Dumbbell is the meme anime of the season and it's crazy entertaining to watch. I'm sure a lot of people started working out along with those endings; I sure did.
Enen no shoubutai has some of the most well animated fight scenes from this year and since it's a 2-cour show I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Some other ones I liked were: Vinland Saga, Cop Craft and Dr. Stone.
I've read the manga for Vinland Saga up to Chapter 98 and it's a pretty good story. The anime does a good job of displaying Thorfinn's loss and anguish as well as his lust for vengeance. The animation is really well done and my boi THORKELL was just introduced last episode. HYPE!!!!
Cop Craft is a mess. A good mess. The animation was alright for the first 2 episodes and then it left the server. However as much as I am a sucker for good animation I also love good character interaction. The back and forth banter between the 2 main characters and their chemistry together is just too gd to pass up. I definitely recommend people give it a try.
TBH I think Dr.Stone is a bit overhyped but that's just me. The art and animation is this show is just borderline terrible. I think the turning point of the show for me was episode 7. After Senku arrived at the village, only then did the show truly get interesting imo.

Nakanohito is also pretty good imo. I've only 3 episodes so far though.

Disappointments: Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyo
Now I'm not a manga or LN reader but I don't think need to be in order to see that something went terribly wrong in production. The whole show is a mess, from the animation and art to the pacing and story to the characters and sound. Like EVERYTHING! I don't think I've ever given a show, a REAL show (not an OVA or special) a 1 but my GOD is this show garbage. One of the studios, WHITE FOX(the good one) dropped the show and now it's being produced by ASSread. I feel so bad for the source readers. Like yall are like the new generation of berserk fans. yie.
Bem was pretty bad too but it's a show based on a story from like 50 years ago so i can't blame them too much.

What about u guys?
Read Toriko!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 14, 2019 9:41 PM

Jun 2017
so far Araburu’s story doesn’t really hold up for me, but the aspect of it sort of being a CGDCT that actually acknowledges the opposite sex (and literally tries to explore sex while it’s at it) is stupidly fun to watch.
In terms of improvement I think either the story needs a work over, or the anime would’ve been better off being less heavy and serious with its melodrama

Vinland Saga is like a heavily historically themed action shounen, personally I don’t love action shounen all that much so I’m probabaly not enjoying it as much as some other people are :p

Dr Stone’s mildly fun
Sep 14, 2019 10:42 PM

Nov 2018
My best anime this season were
1.Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-domo yo.
2.Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san 2
3.Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru?

Other liked Animes
4.Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka II
5.Tejina Senpai

Basically,I haven't watch much this season so technically I'm not disappointed in any anime. Actually, I never hate any anime. So even now, I haven't dropped any anime yet. I always try to found some better moment in every anime. In this way,I avoid hating them.
_aLiez_LINSep 14, 2019 10:48 PM
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Sep 15, 2019 4:45 AM

Oct 2008
Sorry to enter a topic that doesn't concern me, most of the summer anime still haven't finished airing. So I haven't seen anything yet, probably by the end of September I will have seen a good amount.
Sep 15, 2019 5:12 AM

Jun 2014
I didn't watch much. Actually just 3 animes.

Given and Mo dao zu shi 2. And they are the best I have ever seen.

As for the third anime is Try knight which I dropped mainly because of the animation. Unbearable is unbearable.
Sep 15, 2019 5:17 AM

Aug 2019
I'm enjoying Demon Slayer the most.

I'm really liking Dr.Stone.

I find Fire Force decent for now.
Sep 15, 2019 8:24 AM

Jun 2015
I-AM-NO-SLAVE said:
I enjoyed 80ies Anime instead of modern seasonal garbage this summer.
lol wut? Can u get any more pretentious?
Read Toriko!
Sep 15, 2019 8:32 AM

Aug 2018
phantom346 said:
I-AM-NO-SLAVE said:
lol wut? Can u get any more pretentious?
Actually it's more likely to find a good show in a span of 10 years compared to a span of 3 months, not getting why you need to be so agressive?
Sep 15, 2019 8:33 AM
Oct 2017
my three favorite animes this season were:
1° - Vinland Saga
2° - Araburu
3° - Kanata no Astra
I want to leave a mention here too for Dr. Stone

(Just remembering that Kimetsu is better than all of them, but not this season xD)
Sep 15, 2019 8:34 AM

Sep 2019
I-AM-NO-SLAVE said:
Then what the hell u r doing here? If u can't enjoy it then it's your loss.
PeetiSep 15, 2019 8:39 AM
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Sep 15, 2019 8:38 AM

Jun 2017
Great said:

Vinland Saga is like a heavily historically themed action shounen, personally I don’t love action shounen all that much so I’m probabaly not enjoying it as much as some other people are :p

Hold up
Since when was Vinland shounen?! It's a seinen.
Sep 15, 2019 8:40 AM

Sep 2019
BigBlueBash said:
Great said:

Hold up
Since when was Vinland shounen?! It's a seinen.
It first published in Shonen but later become seinen according to what I read on myanimelist.
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Sep 15, 2019 8:44 AM

Sep 2019
I-AM-NO-SLAVE said:
@Peeti Your acc looks pretty empty so...hm
So what. I am a busy guy who watch anime at slow pace especially when l am new to it. My friend recommended me anime. I dropped them. Luckily after a couple of years he recommended me some good ones. Anime fans keep saying try this and that. It became annoying also.
Sep 15, 2019 8:47 AM
Aug 2018
I enjoyed Demon Slayer, Given, and Vinland Saga the most.
Sep 15, 2019 8:48 AM

Sep 2019
I-AM-NO-SLAVE said:
@Peeti Your acc looks pretty empty so...hm
Your account is pretty big. U have watched these many anime just in 8 months when u joined Mal. It will take me from now about 3 months to complete Hunter x Hunter remaining episodes.
Sep 15, 2019 8:50 AM

Sep 2019
I-AM-NO-SLAVE said:
@Peeti Then I ask myself what's the point in you posting here. I mean you told me if I don't enjoy it I shouldn't post, but you posting and don't even watch anything. I didn't watched any seasonal stuff, but I just have to see the cover of it and know that it's crap.
l m new here and get to see what's good going on as l don't wanna waste time and also wanna see how people gather here. It's a good site overall as l can read multiple reviews and search forums etc. I like it more than watching anime sometimes.
Sep 15, 2019 8:52 AM
Aug 2015
Granbelm is the hidden gem of this season, its massively underrated
Sep 15, 2019 8:52 AM
Aug 2015
Granbelm is the hidden gem of this season, its massively underrated
Sep 15, 2019 8:55 AM

Sep 2019
I-AM-NO-SLAVE said:
@Peeti I joined MAL in 2017. So 8 months is not true.
l thought l read you joined it this year too. My bad.
Sep 15, 2019 8:57 AM

Sep 2019
I-AM-NO-SLAVE said:
@Peeti It's your thing, and I don't have any problems with that.
Yep, and of course it is easy to please with older stuff as from 1980 to 2000's. It has decades of anime time in comparison to one season but there are few anime which people talked about this season. I think u may or may not like them.
Sep 15, 2019 9:11 AM

Feb 2009
Vinland Saga and Isekai Cheat Magician is the only one im watching this season.

For the past season :

Carole & Tuesday
Mix
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Sep 15, 2019 9:13 AM

Apr 2019
My best anime in this season was:
1.Toaru Kagaku no Accelerator.
2.Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka II
3.Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru?
Sep 15, 2019 9:30 AM

Apr 2019
There's a lot.
1. Vinland Saga
2. Enn Enn no Shouboutai
3. Dr. Stone
I'm really glad that this three has a 2-cour run
4. Lord El-Melloi II
5. and Kanata no Astra which I've started recently
Sep 15, 2019 10:09 AM

Aug 2018
I haven't seen a lot of anime from this season, but my favourites include Dr Stone, Given, Uchimusume, and Dumbell Nan kilo moteru. Here is a deeper analysis of 2 of them and what I think of them.

1. Given
Given is a BL, music anime. The fact that it is a BL anime might be enough to draw someone away, but this is a BL anime done right. One thing we often see with BL (Boys love) anime is an unrealistic interpretation of same-sex relationships which can even seem forced at times. However, with Given, the relationship between the 2 main characters seems so real and developed over time and that is something we don't see a lot with male couples in anime. I also really like the characters and their complex backstories, especially with Satou. The animation is really good, but the CGI instruments are a little off-putting. I also feel like the pacing is too slow. The music in episode 9 was really emotional, that entire episode was a masterpiece and that is why Given has the potential to be one of my favourite anime from this year and my favourite from this season.

2. Dr Stone
Dr Stone is a sci-fi, adventure and is even comedic at times. It is one of the most popular shounen jump manga right now. I like the concept; I am not a huge fan of anything related to science, but this anime is fun to watch and is even educational at times. The characters are good, but not perfect and I like the comedy in Dr Stone, it varies from childish jokes and lewd humour. I like the structure of the episodes, but it is a bit too fast-paced for me. I enjoy how the episodes are so different from one another (Especially in the village arc)

Two of my least favourites from this season are Try Knights and Fire Force (Yes, I said it).

Fire force had potential, but the direction was really bad and the characters aren't very interesting. I dropped the anime after a few episodes since I felt it was boring.

Try Knights was an OK anime at first, the first episode wasn't too bad but animation quality has always been bad. There was this one really bad CGI scene in episode 2. The characters all look generic apart from this one pink haired guy that stands out from everyone else.
Obviously, this is a rugby anime so you would expect a lot of rugby scenes and most of the anime, from what I saw, was people arguing about whether tactics or physical skill is more important in rugby. Also, the characters faces seem out of proportion in a lot of the frames. EXAMPLE
Sep 15, 2019 10:18 AM
Jul 2019
I'm not watching many - just Fire Force, Araburu Kisetsu..., and Given - and the only one I really liked was Given, which completely exceeded my expectations and became the high point of each week this summer. I plan to try Dr. Stone and Granbelm at some point, though.
Sep 15, 2019 10:25 AM
Sep 2018
Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2
Sewayaki Kitsune no Senko-san
Carole & Tuesday
Midara na Ao-chan wa Benkyou ga Dekinai
Kono Oto Tomare!
Dororo
Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-domo yo.
Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru?
Vinland Saga
Cop Craft
Sep 15, 2019 10:43 AM
Aug 2017
This season was really dull for me. I only picked up 4 anime this season (usually it's 6-7).

My top 3 this season are
Vinland saga (acc. To me aoty after aot)
Dr. Stone
Maiden of the Savage season (criminally underrated)

Really disappointed by fire force. It had really good animation and good hook but the pacing and direction were really off.

Edit: wanted to try bem, given and astra too but didn't get the time to do that :/
Sep 15, 2019 10:44 AM
Aug 2017
Irishchatter said:
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Carole & Tuesday
Kono Oto Tomare!
Dororo
Vinland Saga
Cop Craft

Just summer season anime. U are counting the spring ones too
Sep 15, 2019 10:50 AM

Jul 2013
Vinland Saga
HenSuki
Dr. Stone

These three shows were only able to keep me invested on a weekly basis.

The most disappointing. As if that's not obvious, Arifureta. As a anime alone it's mediocre at best. As a LN Reader it's outright offensive, and the more I read comments of anime onlies hating on it (which I can't blame them for) the more I pity them. I just want this show to end and be forgotten at this point and pretend this "thing" was just a mistake that all future Japanese producer should learn on what NOT to do.

Sep 15, 2019 10:55 AM
Sep 2018
Monarch9 said:
Irishchatter said:
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Carole & Tuesday
Kono Oto Tomare!
Dororo
Vinland Saga
Cop Craft

Well they finished during the summer season tho..
Sep 15, 2019 5:15 PM

Oct 2008
Still nothing since they haven't finished airing yet, the moment they do I'll let you know. Stay cool.
Sep 15, 2019 7:15 PM

Jun 2015
Irishchatter said:
Monarch9 said:

Well they finished during the summer season tho..

They're still considered spring anime but I get what you're saying. Most people (myself included), don't count the 2nd cour of an anime to be part of the current season.
Read Toriko!
Sep 15, 2019 7:27 PM
Jul 2018
I'm enjoying everything in my Currently Watching list, but if I had to do a Top 3 like everyone else is doing it would be like this:

1 - Senki Zesshou Symphogear XV
2 - Kanata no Astra
3 - Lord El-Melloi II Sei no Jikenbo: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note
Sep 15, 2019 9:00 PM

Jul 2017
I'm only watching sequels and spin offs, the rest of the shows i'll binge watch them when they finish, but so far this is my top 3:

1 - Senki Zeshou Symphogear XV
2 - DanMachi 2
3 - Well, i'm still following some pretty good shows like Accelerator, Takagi-san 2, Lord El-Melloi... but i'm gonna choose one that comes from spring: Diamond no Ace Act II
Sep 15, 2019 9:59 PM
Apr 2019
I watched only Vinland Saga this season,,,but I've watched some old but good animes like Fate/Zero, Elfen Lied and Made in Abyss.
Sep 15, 2019 10:25 PM
Aug 2019
1. Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru?
That"s the only one I enjoy this summer. If spring was included, definitely Kimetsu.
Sep 15, 2019 10:46 PM

Oct 2018
Well, this season is probably one of the worst ones in years if you ask me

First I'd started watching 16 anime, now I'm only watching 1, Vinland Saga, but I'm not especially enjoying it
It's a good one, but not great so far IMO

I got bored with all the others, or they were just simply bad and dropped
There are a few ones on-hold(like Dr. Stone), so I might continue those ones

So basically there isn't a single anime I'm actually enjoying this season, which is pretty sad
Demon Slayer is saving it for me, because it's still airing

Before anyone would start trash talking, like saying I'm one of those pessimist who can't enjoy anything, check my list/mean score, thanks...
-Aincrad-Sep 15, 2019 10:52 PM
Sep 15, 2019 11:00 PM
May 2018
1 - Vinland Saga
2 - Kanata no Astra
3 - Dr. Stone
- Fire Force
- To the abandoned Scared beasts
Sep 15, 2019 11:15 PM
Jul 2018
I watched some oldies actually and found them very enjoyable
Sep 16, 2019 7:55 AM
Apr 2018
I'd have to say demon slayer, Vinland Saga and black clover.
This year I haven't watched much as my grades have dropped significantly šŸ˜…
Sep 16, 2019 8:05 AM

Apr 2019
Peeti said:
BigBlueBash said:
Hold up. Since when was Vinland shounen?! It's a seinen.
It first published in Shonen but later become seinen according to what I read on myanimelist.
It's a hybrid depending on character and arc you look at. Thorfinn/Thors are fully Shounen, Askelad is one of the most adult and gray charactes I've seen in a while. Given how expensive the show looks, it probably is intentional to appeal to adult and teen audiences simultaneously. For me (Seinen demographic) it works.

Sep 16, 2019 8:12 AM

Apr 2019
Best shows this summer, in order:

• Vinland Saga - Epic, top production values, good story, not too childish yet appealing to Shounen enough to get big buck funding (they still are the largest audience by far, and thus where the ¥¥¥ are)
  • Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-domo yo. - Subversive wit, smart dialogue and overall a fresh take on the coming of age genre, yet avoiding the usual cheap ecchi and flat teen jokes
  • Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru? - Stupid and highly entertaining fun. An infomercial for gyms, done right. Hadn't planned to watch initially, but it kept growing on me.

Sep 16, 2019 8:23 AM
Mar 2019
ATAEK ON TAITN!!!
Seriously though, probably Breaking Bad (watched S3 to S5 this summer) and AoT S3 Part 2

I know BrBa's not anime but the title doesn't imply it has to be anime
Sep 16, 2019 8:37 AM

Jul 2019
I like Dr Stone more and more. I never though it would be one of my favorites from this season and here I am. I love the characters and the setting. It's inspiring and each episodes put me in a good mood. I already hope there's going to be a season 2.
I always liked Danmachi so I think season 2 is great too, nothing new.
I was pleasantly surprised with Kanata no astra. I like when an anime is full of crazy plot twists like that.
Vinland Saga is awesome. I was already hyped when it was announced and I wasn't disappointed.
Life is a despicable endurance race
Sep 16, 2019 8:39 AM

Mar 2019
Kimetsu no Yaiba is the best one.
Dr Stone hasn't got a internet-breaking episode yet so the hype is just average, still I find it interesting to watch.
Sep 16, 2019 8:46 AM

Apr 2016
The anime I'm enjoying the most are:
- Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san 2
- Kanata no Astra
- Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-domo yo.
At the start I was really invested in Vinland Saga but with the last episodes I’m feeling less invested in the story.

The anime I found disappointing are:
- Danmachi 2
Sep 16, 2019 4:17 PM
Sep 2018
1. dr stone, 2. fire force, 3. accelerator, i couldn't get into kanata no astra because of that stupid letter box effect that really changes my experience with it and makes me not want to watch it at all
Sep 16, 2019 4:24 PM

Feb 2010
Senki Zeshou Symphogear XV
DanMachi 2
dumbell's
demon slayer
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Sep 16, 2019 5:58 PM

Sep 2017
My favourite animes this season are Kimetsu no Yaiba and Mo Dao Zu Shi 2 by far

I really like Fruits Basket 2019 too

There's also Vinland Saga and Dr. Stone that are pretty good, but they don't hype me that much
Sep 16, 2019 7:12 PM
Jul 2018
Hensuki

2nd half of fruits basket 2019

Those are the shows I enjoyed.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 10 hours ago

23 by Kurgo »»
40 seconds ago

Poll: » Have y'all seen Rainbow?

MillerEvans23 - 6 hours ago

13 by 23feanor »»
2 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 10 hours ago

17 by Rhaelynne »»
10 minutes ago

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 3 hours ago

14 by LoveYourEyes »»
10 minutes ago

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - 42 minutes ago

3 by ProGoddess »»
18 minutes ago
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.