Forum Settings
Forums

Characters that everyone seems to hate but you love them anyway

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 10, 2019 10:04 PM

Aug 2017
deathmailrock said:
Ummm... which Emilia??? You know, that it's not a very uncommon name... I already think of 2 when I hear the name (and there may be more).

The Re:Zero one. That's the only Emilia that comes to mind in terms of getting hate.

Aug 10, 2019 11:21 PM

Mar 2019
Chiibi said:
Sphinxter said:
It's referenced like 4-5 times every episode

Lol I just rewatched the series and you're majorly exaggerating with that....there's no way it was that much.

...actually I'm not sure what you're even talking about. The fact that Aria's a tsundere? Riko was the only one who called her that and she called her that like one time.
My issue is that they took a trait of Syana that was just one of the many traits of the character and also realistic and flanderized it till it consumed the character to an unrealistic degree.

Syana is a somewhat accurate portrayal of a teenager that has feelings for his best friend and is looking for right time to say it — that obviously happens.

Aria is like "Ahaha, you think I can even stomach your very præsence whilst I frequently seek you out? I'm calling you a slave! look how transparently defensive I am about it; it's cute!" which just gets annoying very quickly. Syana was only actually openly saying that he disliked Yuuzi when he still actually did in the first couple of episodes.

Sora's temporary disappearance and Shiro having to bring him back was treated VERY seriously, just like how Aria's crying scenes over be unable to help her mother were treated very seriously.
Yes it is; but the profound unrealistic closeness of their bond is treated like comedy in general.

If Aria actually highlighted how silly it was that Aria had taken such a liking to Kenzi after their first face-to-d.f.c. encounter and treated that like comedy it would be better but the series tried to sell it as a serious thing that all it took for Aria to become somewhat obsessed with Kenzi was for Kenzi to shoot a platoon of robots after getting aroused from Aria's — admittedly magnificent — d.f.c. and the show treats the entire thing of getting superpowers from being aroused not as something inhærently comedic. In the case of N.G.N.L. Sora going missing is actually a plausible serious matter that can be treated seriously but for instance both of them becoming catatonic from being separated by a door they can open at any moment or from seeing Tokyo is so absurd that it would never work weren't it treated as comedy.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Aug 10, 2019 11:41 PM
Oct 2016
Emiya Shirou. It's true he's kind of an idiot and a Gary Stu, but as a PTSD character he's pretty inspiring.

I also love weak-but-brave fighting protags (e.g. Shana's Yuuji). Shirou even gets strong enough to do some crazy shit by the end of the story.
Aug 11, 2019 12:22 AM

Jul 2013
zinlai said:
Emiya Shirou. It's true he's kind of an idiot and a Gary Stu, but as a PTSD character he's pretty inspiring.

I also love weak-but-brave fighting protags (e.g. Shana's Yuuji). Shirou even gets strong enough to do some crazy shit by the end of the story.

Shirou ain't a Gary Stu since he's far from perfect to begin with.
Dull_LullAug 11, 2019 12:37 AM
Aug 11, 2019 12:28 AM

Apr 2015
Laid-back said:
Ueno Naoka from Koe no Katachi.Believe it or not, I was rooting for her and Ishida at the end of manga.

Me too! I can't believe that someone else was rooting for her :D
Aug 11, 2019 1:25 AM

Dec 2017
puneetsingh said:
thevagus said:
Otae shimura from gintama. A lot of gintama fans hate her.

Bruh, he is literally one of the most beloved characters in existance. There is just no doraemon without nobita.
Actually the people I talk either hate him or laugh about him.

That just means people you talk don't know anything about doraemon or have just watched one or two random episodes of it. Still, it's minority.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Aug 11, 2019 1:30 AM

Jul 2019
thevagus said:
puneetsingh said:
Actually the people I talk either hate him or laugh about him.

That just means people you talk don't know anything about doraemon or have just watched one or two random episodes of it. Still, it's minority.
It's not like that they don't enjoy nobita's character, it's just they don't want to admit that he is an important character or enjoyed him because he is stupid as there are people who enjoy a certain show but never admit the reasons except few of the reasons that why they enjoyed/watched it.
Should I troll in the troll bait threads? It is kinda idiotic to be logical in the troll bait threads. Well, it will depend on my mood.
Aug 11, 2019 1:41 AM

Dec 2017
puneetsingh said:
thevagus said:

It's not like that they don't enjoy nobita's character, it's just they don't want to admit that he is an important character or enjoyed him because he is stupid as there are people who enjoy a certain show but never admit the reasons except few of the reasons that why they enjoyed/watched it.

Yeah you are right here. In fact there are kids who will shit about nobita after just watching 1 or 2 eps which are just 7-8 mins long and will think nobita is a bad character but once you watch some good number of eps and bunch of movies in the franchise, then you understand how well written his character is for a kids show which was created in 70s.

Aug 11, 2019 1:59 AM

Jul 2019
thevagus said:
puneetsingh said:

Yeah you are right here. In fact there are kids who will shit about nobita after just watching 1 or 2 eps which are just 7-8 mins long and will think nobita is a bad character but once you watch some good number of eps and bunch of movies in the franchise, then you understand how well written his character is for a kids show which was created in 70s.
I watched doraemon for about 8 or even more than 8 years and back then I always called doraemon 'doremon'. and my watched episodes number aren't correct as I don't know how many I watched them and how many times I re-watched them but I just choose less episodes to put it in myanimelist.
puneetsinghAug 11, 2019 2:02 AM
Should I troll in the troll bait threads? It is kinda idiotic to be logical in the troll bait threads. Well, it will depend on my mood.
Aug 11, 2019 2:55 AM

Jun 2009
Kuroko from Railgun. She's so funny and cares deeply for her friends. She tends to be annoying and pervy around Misaka but it doesn't bother me, I think it's funny.

Suzaku and Shirley from Code Geass.

Orihime from Bleach. She's a precious kind soul. Must protecc. She was bullied and envied in school but still didn't lash out and didn't become a psycho. She does everything in her power to help her loved ones. Only reason people say she's annoying is that she says "Kurosaki-kun" a lot. Such a flimsy, superficial reason. Anime characters shout out names all the time. Get used to it noobs.

Excalibur from Soul Eater. He's hilarious.

Nakajima Youko from 12 kingdoms. At the start most people dislike her but as the series continues many warm up to her. I was fine with her since the beginning. She has such great character growth that she became one of my favorite anime characters of all time.

Mugino from Railgun. She's a psycho but I don't mind. She's great.

Usopp from One Piece. People are 50-50 on him. Many people hate the fact that he didn't get over his cowardly ways after the time-skip. But I don't mind. It's an integral part of Usopp. Without it he's not Usopp anymore.

Shinji Ikari. He's just a kid with a tragic past and a despicable father. Get off his back people!
Aug 11, 2019 4:44 AM
Oct 2018
Idk if this has been said yet or not, but Griffith is an amazing character that I love.
Aug 11, 2019 10:23 AM

Aug 2015
Shinji Ikari is supposed to be a protagonist that breaks the mold. He's not heroic, he's cowardly and broken due to his shitty father. Only character I think of atm.

Aug 11, 2019 10:29 AM

Jun 2016
Malty from Tate no Yuusha. She's hot
Aug 11, 2019 10:30 AM

Jun 2016
and yess... Emilia is better than Rem
Aug 11, 2019 10:43 AM

Mar 2013
Suzaku Kururugi from Code Geass and Slaine from Aldnoah Zero
Aug 11, 2019 11:42 AM
Jul 2018
This guy No clue why people dislike that character so much, he has more cameos than any other character
Aug 11, 2019 12:37 PM

Nov 2010
thevagus said:

I'm one of Gintama fans that hate her but I don't know a lot of people hate her lol. Most of my friends that love Gintama feels indifferent toward her. However, I like her when she visit his father at prison story.
Aug 11, 2019 3:10 PM

Nov 2008
Sphinxter said:
Chiibi said:

Lol I just rewatched the series and you're majorly exaggerating with that....there's no way it was that much.

...actually I'm not sure what you're even talking about. The fact that Aria's a tsundere? Riko was the only one who called her that and she called her that like one time.
My issue is that they took a trait of Syana that was just one of the many traits of the character and also realistic and flanderized it till it consumed the character to an unrealistic degree.

Syana is a somewhat accurate portrayal of a teenager that has feelings for his best friend and is looking for right time to say it — that obviously happens.

Aria is like "Ahaha, you think I can even stomach your very præsence whilst I frequently seek you out? I'm calling you a slave! look how transparently defensive I am about it; it's cute!" which just gets annoying very quickly. Syana was only actually openly saying that he disliked Yuuzi when he still actually did in the first couple of episodes.

Sora's temporary disappearance and Shiro having to bring him back was treated VERY seriously, just like how Aria's crying scenes over be unable to help her mother were treated very seriously.
Yes it is; but the profound unrealistic closeness of their bond is treated like comedy in general.

If Aria actually highlighted how silly it was that Aria had taken such a liking to Kenzi after their first face-to-d.f.c. encounter and treated that like comedy it would be better but the series tried to sell it as a serious thing that all it took for Aria to become somewhat obsessed with Kenzi was for Kenzi to shoot a platoon of robots after getting aroused from Aria's — admittedly magnificent — d.f.c. and the show treats the entire thing of getting superpowers from being aroused not as something inhærently comedic. In the case of N.G.N.L. Sora going missing is actually a plausible serious matter that can be treated seriously but for instance both of them becoming catatonic from being separated by a door they can open at any moment or from seeing Tokyo is so absurd that it would never work weren't it treated as comedy.

Dude, I don't care. I like Aria (the character AND her series) and........that's that. *shrugs*

Aug 11, 2019 3:46 PM
Jul 2018
I have to say Sakura Haruno from Naruto i don't know why everyone thinks she's USELESS i believe she's useful and i love the character.
Aug 11, 2019 3:50 PM

Dec 2018
Eva Heinneman from Monster, Subaru from Re:Zero, Iroha Isshiki from OreGairu, Mamimi from FLCL, Obito Uchiha from Naruto, Suzaku Kururugi from Code Geass and Ginoza Nobuchika from Psycho Pass
Aug 11, 2019 3:51 PM

Dec 2018
gaq_t said:
Idk if this has been said yet or not, but Griffith is an amazing character that I love.

Who the fuck doesn’t like Griffith? I’ll wait.
Aug 11, 2019 4:35 PM

Nov 2008
HisokaxMeruem said:
This guy No clue why people dislike that character so much, he has more cameos than any other character

I LOLED. xD

Seriously, everyone should click HisokaxMeruem's post....

Aug 11, 2019 4:37 PM

Aug 2018
Near. I love that boy and the way he deal with a psychopath like Light.
Aug 11, 2019 4:42 PM
Jul 2018
i love the annoying-ass magic animal sidekicks from magic girl anime cuz they reunite me with my inner 3yo (seven years go fast......)
Aug 11, 2019 4:57 PM
Jul 2018

They werent as bad as other shojo manga rivals. They just had shitty rich parents spoiling them
Aug 11, 2019 5:01 PM

Aug 2017
Everyone from Scums Wish I don't hate them because I see them as well written characters.

Subaru and Emilia From Re: Zero
I don't think Emila deserves the hate just because he didn't choose rem.
As for Subaru being whiny and making bad decisions shows that he's a realistic type of character and I like it.
Aug 11, 2019 6:23 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
The best example I have of this is Hiyoko Saionji. Honestly, not many redeemable traits, but she doesn't take shit from anyone. Anyone.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." ⛩️

Aug 11, 2019 6:50 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Homura did nothing wrong.

Also, she's not featured in any anime, but people seem to really hate Berry Shirayuki from Tokyo Mew Mew a la Mode... I feel like I'm the only person who read TMM and liked Berry more than Ichigo lol

L_O_V_E_L_A_I_N said:
Chibiusa for sure. I'd heard bad things about her going into Sailor Moon R but I really like her so far.

Honestly I agree, I like her almost as much as Usagi. I mean, I definitely love drawing her hair hahaha
Aug 11, 2019 8:26 PM

Oct 2014
Mirai said:
Fugo did nothing wrong and that's a hill I'm willing to die on.

but he did nothing at all, how could he do any wrong?
Aug 11, 2019 8:28 PM

Oct 2014
Myherodeku said:
I think Shou Tucker is a great role model for fathers everywhere >:)

well he went to great lengts to bring nina back in 03, out of nowhere.
When he was the guy who killed her, so there was that
Aug 11, 2019 8:47 PM
Sep 2016
WeisserSchnee2 said:
Laid-back said:
Ueno Naoka from Koe no Katachi.Believe it or not, I was rooting for her and Ishida at the end of manga.

Me too! I can't believe that someone else was rooting for her :D

Same! By far my favorite character in the manga, very flawed but also very human. Best girl.
Aug 12, 2019 12:51 AM

Apr 2016
I like sakura, she's cool. She can act naggy sometime but it's not really annoying
Aug 12, 2019 1:27 AM

Feb 2014
Kirino from Oreimo. Yes, she's a violent tsundere, but she's mostly doing it out of childishness. She's like a bitch with a heart of gold. She ain't rotten. If anyone is to be blamed for her behavior more than her, it's her cuck brother who puts up with her abuse and enables her violence.

Edocchi said:
Malty from Tate no Yuusha. She's hot

I see you're a man of culture as well. In addition to being hot, she was so cartoonishly evil that it was hard to hate her. They took it too far and instead made it hilarious.
Aug 12, 2019 1:44 AM
Aug 2017
Laid-back said:

I don't even know you but I hate u on a spiritual level
Aug 12, 2019 2:07 AM
Feb 2017
uchiha Sasuke from naruto

katsuki bakugou from bnha
Aug 12, 2019 2:09 AM

Mar 2019
I'm just waiting for someone to say Griffith

My anime review website: https://www.takanodan.net
Aug 12, 2019 6:27 AM
Jul 2018
Subaru from re; zero. I just feel like I need to protect him.
Aug 12, 2019 8:33 AM

Nov 2018
Eren Yeager from Attack on Titan. Yes he's annoying in the first 3 seasons or so but he does grow considerably in S3P2 and the manga.
Aug 12, 2019 8:35 AM

Dec 2017
sefferia_ellis said:
thevagus said:

I'm one of Gintama fans that hate her but I don't know a lot of people hate her lol. Most of my friends that love Gintama feels indifferent toward her. However, I like her when she visit his father at prison story.

Well, otae along with otsuu are mostly hated by gintama fans mainly because of their treatment of kondo.

Aug 12, 2019 8:45 AM
Jan 2018
Nami , so what if she loves treasure and money and betrays people at the start thats literally what a pirate does , from what i can see from chapter 424 shes one of the smartest crew members and lets face it without her the crew would be fucked if she wasn't the navigator

Aug 12, 2019 11:00 AM
Jul 2018
dipperdolphin said:

I think no one would cause then all the Guts fans will go berserk :(
Aug 12, 2019 12:39 PM
Jul 2018
Every shitty delinquent character from Kuroko no Basket, especially Hanamiya Makoto.
Yut Lung Lee from Banana Fish.
Shigaraki from BNHA.
I don't think any of these are globally hated but tend to be less liked than most.
Aug 12, 2019 12:59 PM

Jan 2016
I've heard that many people hate Kaori (from Shigatsu wa kimi no uso). I still think she is a very well made character
Aug 12, 2019 9:38 PM
Apr 2018
sefferia_ellis said:
Minoru Mineta from My Hero Academia.

I heard from my friend that many people hate him but I think he's freaking funny.

Some people don't enjoy this kind of pervy humour but I think it's hilarious because it's rare and pretty discrete which makes it even funnier. The scene where Bakugo was collecting all the garbage and he brought in a way larger garbage bag filled with his night time ventures was pretty funny.
Aug 13, 2019 7:58 PM
Oct 2016
Tohsaka_Rukia said:

Shirou ain't a Gary Stu since he's far from perfect to begin with.

Oh true. I was thinking of some other trope then, but I can't remember.
Aug 13, 2019 8:15 PM

Nov 2017
That will be Uchiha Sasuke for me . Most of the people don't like him but I think he is cool and currently might be the strongest shinobi .

♥♪♥♪♥♪♥♪♥♪♥♪♥♪♠♪♠♪♠♪♠♪♠♪♠♪♠

♠♪♠♪♠♪♠♪♠♪♠♪♠♪♥♪♥♪♥♪♥♪♥♪♥♪♥
Aug 14, 2019 6:56 AM

Nov 2010
AlphaRomo said:
sefferia_ellis said:
Minoru Mineta from My Hero Academia.

I heard from my friend that many people hate him but I think he's freaking funny.

Some people don't enjoy this kind of pervy humour but I think it's hilarious because it's rare and pretty discrete which makes it even funnier. The scene where Bakugo was collecting all the garbage and he brought in a way larger garbage bag filled with his night time ventures was pretty funny.

He remind me of Master Roshi from Dragon Ball (when Goku was a kid) that I watched since I was 10. So I don't mind much about pervy humor in anime/manga/games if it's really funny and make me laugh.
Aug 14, 2019 8:55 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
thevagus said:
sefferia_ellis said:

Well, otae along with otsuu are mostly hated by gintama fans mainly because of their treatment of kondo.

I find that hypocritical since by their logic, Otae hitting people makes her the devil (even though most of the characters are subject to slap-stick), but Kondo stalking her is a-okay. I’m pretty sure her haters wouldn’t like getting stalked by anyone.
Aug 14, 2019 9:06 AM

Apr 2019
Mixernix said:
Sengoku Nadeko from the Monogatari Series, she's a very well written character

Very true, like everybody votes her as worst monogatari girl but man... give her love.
Aug 14, 2019 9:13 AM

Apr 2019
dipperdolphin said:

Comment #61 - There you go. Will there be a war cause I hope so...
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» When did anime become mainstream? Or do you think it's still not mainstream???

LenRea - 7 hours ago

15 by alshu »»
10 seconds ago

» Characters born on the same day/month as you ?

Yonahim_Zz - Today

27 by PPL_CaLL_Me_DUDE »»
1 minute ago

» Do you guys pretend to hate anime? ( 1 2 )

APolygons2 - May 11

63 by ZachyMoof »»
17 minutes ago

» Your biggest why …? ( 1 2 )

Yonahim_Zz - Yesterday

67 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
25 minutes ago

» Anime with better sequels than the original

ST63LTH - 41 minutes ago

2 by Daviljoe193 »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.