Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 2, 2019 8:51 AM

Aug 2018
Everything about this show is immeasurably awful. The bizarrely paced first episode already had me suspicious of the series' quality, but then at the end MC took on the Kaneki Ken hair and an incredibly apprehensive attitude that due to poor decisions with his facial expressions and voice acting just comes off as just laughably edgy. Further supported by the magic gun he creates and names like a 12 year old.

Fast forward approximately 2 and half weeks. I wasn't able to keep up with this show since I was on holiday. I hoped it might show some signs of improvement, but it has only gotten worse. With even more awful CGI monster fights (that notably seem to be the community's main problem with this show, from the episode discussions at least), pedobait, a pathetic attempt at developing a relationship, bland side characters that you have no reason to care for as well as the aforementioned problems with the MC lead me to the conclusion that this is the absolute worst anime I've seen - and it's only been 4 episodes!

From things like Yue going after Hajime's blood in a seductive manner, to the kiss he gives her to wake her up in episode 4 as well as throwing himself in between the CGI snake beam and her in a clichéd way makes this honestly feel like it was written as a self-insert fantasy by the most horny of 12 year-olds.

This is how I've perceived the show up to this point, and I want to see what others think the biggest flaws and strengths (if any) of this show are, since the episode discussions haven't given me a good idea as they just seem like incoherent gargling about obviously poor CGI. Especially if you've read the light novel, your input is greatly appreciated.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 2, 2019 2:35 PM

May 2009
Watch more anime, noob. It's shit but I've seen at least 100 worse ones.
Aug 2, 2019 5:08 PM

Apr 2007
I'm with bastek66 on this one. That said, I'm still watching it because I like that it takes place almost entirely within a dungeon as far as the main character is concerned. Makes me want to play a roguelike or something but then I remember I find those games boring so instead I'd rather watch an anime.
Blergh.
Aug 3, 2019 5:30 AM

Apr 2014
This isn't the bottom of the barrel, but its close.

And to gave some credit, the source material for this show IS written as a 12 year old masturbation WN. (literally the author came home from work and wanted to stress relief with mindless garbage, so he made mindless garbage)

So you can't blame the show for being a 12 year old masturbation WN, cause it is.

Can we shame a turd for being a turd? No, of course not, we can embrace the turd in all of its shityness and have a good laugh at it tho.
"You had no free will, you chased your vices along the same path as all of the others." - Shikieiki Yamaxanadu, Diamond in the rough
Aug 3, 2019 9:50 AM
Feb 2017
If by worst you mean entertaining to watch then yes. Mindless dumb fun and I'm enjoying it.
Aug 3, 2019 1:10 PM

Apr 2017
I'm against everything you said pal, i feel the vibes of Shield Hero all over this Anime and i loved Shield Hero, especially that revenge thing going on and how the MC finds other people that helps him better himself and to become a more mature person, the kiss you kept going about it is clearly to make her have more faith in him and that he's not going to abandon her like others did, which it worked and she never doubted him again.
Watch another Anime if you don't like this one, you're not really forced to watch it.
Aug 3, 2019 3:28 PM

Dec 2013
I'll agree with you as far as the first episode is concerned, but that's about it.

The first episode, as quite a few people have said, is absolutely dreadful. From the bizarre decision to not present events in chronological order, and skipping certain aspects of the story (the latter of which is unfortunately par for the course with any light novel being adapted into anime), to Hajime's pre-transformation voice, to the pretty heinous use of low quality CGI.

I've grown to not expect much of anything from 1 cour light novel -> anime adaptions, but outside of the entire first episode, and certain other aspects such as overuse of low quality CGI on the larger monsters, static animation/frames in general, as well as what decisions are made in terms of what is or isn't adapted and in what order, I find the general reactions to this adaption to be over exaggerated.
Matsuoka Yoshitsugu has hardly any range as a voice actor, and is grossly over-cast.

Yeah. I said it.
Aug 3, 2019 10:51 PM

Apr 2016
It is def 1/10 material through and through tho for episode 1 it's because it was plagued by the worst storeytelling imaginable as opposed to just being filled with nothing characters and nothing of value from a visuall and writing perspective outside of ideas regarding our current duo that the show doesn't capitalize in any meaningful way since everything makes no sense and decisions often feel dumb and/or arbitrary. The visuals are, across the board, some of the worst I've seen all year. It's certainly not 0/10 Hand Shakers bad, but yeah, definitely one of the worst anime this year if nothing else. Episode 1 was def a "find it hilariously broken or find it loathsome" Big Order type deal, whereas the rest of the show is what you'd expect from shows like this except much harder to look at and much more disappointing given it went from so bad it's good to so bad it's horrible by virtue of not generally being so bafflingly told.
Aug 4, 2019 3:13 AM

Aug 2017
I stopped reading when I saw the buzzword "edgy". Also, why do u said that Arifureta is worst anime when u rated Erased, one the most overrated and worst anime I've ever seen, 9/10?
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 4, 2019 3:37 PM

Mar 2014
Nurguburu said:
I stopped reading when I saw the buzzword "edgy". Also, why do u said that Arifureta is worst anime when u rated Erased, one the most overrated and worst anime I've ever seen, 9/10?

He's right tho, the Protagonist is edgy as heck, accept the word or not but the OP is correct in that point.
Almost on the same level of edgy as Goblin Slayer.
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Aug 4, 2019 5:57 PM

Jan 2018
I think all of those " feel better about yourself" story's are just boring
Here is our main character :
- a normal nobody (just like you :D )
-he also likes light novel , manga and games ( just like you :D )
- he is also a total fucking loser ( just like you :D )
- can you relate yet ? Good
- now turn him into a total badass so our readers can feel better about themself

I'm sure the light novel is much better in structure (and animation quality) then the anime but honestly : how good can a story with such a boring, pandering premise be ?
Aug 4, 2019 6:18 PM
Jan 2015
Its pretty bad, but I've seen far worse tbh.
My Queens

Aug 4, 2019 6:24 PM

Jul 2008
I'll agree if with "worst" you meant "forgettable".
This is not an anime you can love or hate, it's just there to pass the time.

For the comparisons done above:
Kirito_online said:
I feel the vibes of Shield Hero all over this Anime...

HueyLion said:

Since I like those two, I'll said that the biggest problem in this anime is the pacing and storytelling.
4 episodes and it has show nothing about the actual story of the MC. The "battles" were okay, but without any emotional support they felt empty.

Let use the two tittle mentioned:

In Tate no Yuusha, you first see a good fellow being summoned, then getting exited about becomening a hero, just to end being betrayed by every one, driving him to resent them.

In Arifureta, you see a random boy being betrayed by another random guy because of a random girl talked to him... And outof nowhere he want's to kill averything. ¿How could anyone (who hasn't read the novel) feel anything for a total random guy?. And the worst part is that even after 4 episodes the MC is still a merely random guy!

Then let's jump to Goblin Slayer. There the MC makes it clear that the only thing he cares about is killing goblins. It's edgy, I won't deny it, but that part keeps consistente along the story.

Here, the random guy is betrayed, want to kill everyone to survive, just to suddenly want to protect another random girl at the cost of his life?! Where in anime's hell is the back up for this twist?! Maybe in the WN, I don't know. but it made me feel as bad as in Batman vs Superman. Really?! Just because of the name of their moms?!! I want... I need a death note!!

Finally, I agree, the CGI was a waste. There was a similar battle in Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu, and the traditional method made that battle more epic than the CGI in Arifureta.

*sigh*

I feel better now. XD
My candies:
Aug 4, 2019 9:05 PM

Nov 2012
Yall people need to chill. Its anime.... entertainment. Not some medium in wich to unlock the universe and ascend to a higher plane. If you don't like it fine but please stop notpicking and complaining like some wannabe critic. You come off as an annoying dweeb.
Aug 4, 2019 9:51 PM

Dec 2017
Anime-is-King said:
Yall people need to chill. Its anime.... entertainment. Not some medium in wich to unlock the universe and ascend to a higher plane. If you don't like it fine but please stop notpicking and complaining like some wannabe critic. You come off as an annoying dweeb.

Firstly, notpicking...
Secondly, if people are nitpicking arifureta then it must be a MASSIVE nit, if the story is told in a way that makes it look like shit, IS shit, has no interesting plot twists or characters with bad CGI animation ruining it further... Its bad, pure and simple.
Also on another note people SHOULD complain more because, if theres something to complain about that must mean theres an issue!
A Wise Man Once Said: #(%!*@)+$&
Aug 5, 2019 4:38 AM

Nov 2012
Hyperactivy said:
Anime-is-King said:

Firstly, notpicking...
Secondly, if people are nitpicking arifureta then it must be a MASSIVE nit, if the story is told in a way that makes it look like shit, IS shit, has no interesting plot twists or characters with bad CGI animation ruining it further... Its bad, pure and simple.
Also on another note people SHOULD complain more because, if theres something to complain about that must mean theres an issue!

Congrats you found a typo, that validates your entire existence! Anyways... I find it hilarious that you think your whining will somehow increase the studios budget and fix all the problems. Like I said, if you don't like it for those valid reasons then FINE. Go watch something else instead of shitting up the episode discussions.
Aug 5, 2019 6:13 AM
Oct 2018
Shit anime but will keep watching till the last episode.
Aug 5, 2019 6:34 AM

Apr 2016
Anime-is-King said:
Because clearly we're not allowed to criticize a work of entertainment and anime is the one medium of entertainment that is legally and officially exempt from criticism whereas music, books, and movies are stuck with those pesky critics that should leave this sacred ground. It's not like anyone can like and criticize anime at the same time, and it's not like people have the right to voice their negative opinions on an anime because it's anime and you like it therefore it is sacred and we're not allowed to shittalk it on your watch because criticism is banned from this beloved medium. Stop trying to provide legitimate complaints about how bad this show is because ur just fucking annoying wannabes because if you don't I can't enjoy my shit in peace. Stop expecting more cuz you're not getting more here. Stop having standards. Stop critiquing. No one is allowed to call this anime bad or back it up with logical reasoning because clearly you're just watching anime wrong and both intellectual stimulation and critical discussion regarding a medium of art and entertainment have no place in anime.
Anime-is-King said:
Hyperactivy said:

Firstly, notpicking...

Congrats you found a typo, that validates your entire existence! Anyways... I find it hilarious that you think your whining will somehow increase the studios budget and fix all the problems. Like I said, if you don't like it for those valid reasons then FINE. Go watch something else instead of shitting up the episode discussions.
Because clearly you shouldn't watch what you dislike because that means you can voice your negative opinion on MY TURF. You can have it but voicing it is clearly a bad thing to do and it is offensive and wrong and annoying because I like it, therefore I should only see POSITIVE opinions on this anime, even if it doesn't at all reflect the general consensus of this show and such silencing sorta defeats part of the point of forums and free speech to begin with since diverse opinions mean wrong opinions.
Kirito_online said:
I'm against everything you said pal, i feel the vibes of Shield Hero all over this Anime and i loved Shield Hero, especially that revenge thing going on and how the MC finds other people that helps him better himself and to become a more mature person, the kiss you kept going about it is clearly to make her have more faith in him and that he's not going to abandon her like others did, which it worked and she never doubted him again.
Watch another Anime if you don't like this one, you're not really forced to watch it.
The don't like don't watch argument is most certainly a worthy argument to invalidate all valid criticism and definitely not just a pathetic way to deflect and discredit because the person has no other argument or will to defend his or her stance any longer. It's not a fallacious get out of jail free card, I swear!
CodeBlazeFateAug 5, 2019 6:43 AM
Aug 5, 2019 6:01 PM

Dec 2017
Anime-is-King said:
Hyperactivy said:

Firstly, notpicking...

Damn the notpicking thing was a joke, typos exist its fine to laugh at them,
just because people complain doesnt make it automatically whining sherlock, and no it wont increase the budget. but it will get the point across for other issues that ARE fixable and or avoidable such as changing the way the story is told, instead of jumping from one point to another with flashbacks they could have told it in chronological order, wouldnt change their budget much if they are going to tell it anyways would it? people point out the bad decisions and the more people do so the higher the chance executives of the anime's production are to hear about them and learn from their mistakes, dont you think?
also shitting up the episode discussions?... arent the point of those to express what you thought of the episode?... if it had bad elements isnt it ok to mention that?...
hope you enjoy this paragraph and realize why complaining helps at times.
A Wise Man Once Said: #(%!*@)+$&
Aug 6, 2019 10:33 AM

Aug 2018
NoHeart said:
I'll agree if with "worst" you meant "forgettable".
This is not an anime you can love or hate, it's just there to pass the time.

For the comparisons done above:
Kirito_online said:
I feel the vibes of Shield Hero all over this Anime...

HueyLion said:

Since I like those two, I'll said that the biggest problem in this anime is the pacing and storytelling.
4 episodes and it has show nothing about the actual story of the MC. The "battles" were okay, but without any emotional support they felt empty.

Let use the two tittle mentioned:

In Tate no Yuusha, you first see a good fellow being summoned, then getting exited about becomening a hero, just to end being betrayed by every one, driving him to resent them.

In Arifureta, you see a random boy being betrayed by another random guy because of a random girl talked to him... And outof nowhere he want's to kill averything. ¿How could anyone (who hasn't read the novel) feel anything for a total random guy?. And the worst part is that even after 4 episodes the MC is still a merely random guy!

Then let's jump to Goblin Slayer. There the MC makes it clear that the only thing he cares about is killing goblins. It's edgy, I won't deny it, but that part keeps consistente along the story.

Here, the random guy is betrayed, want to kill everyone to survive, just to suddenly want to protect another random girl at the cost of his life?! Where in anime's hell is the back up for this twist?! Maybe in the WN, I don't know. but it made me feel as bad as in Batman vs Superman. Really?! Just because of the name of their moms?!! I want... I need a death note!!

Finally, I agree, the CGI was a waste. There was a similar battle in Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu, and the traditional method made that battle more epic than the CGI in Arifureta.

*sigh*

I feel better now. XD

Worst is definitely hard to pin to any form of media; I see it from the viewpoint that the end goal is to have a viewer entertained somehow. I see it this way since a show like School Days is arguably worse from a writing perspective, with its inhuman characters, nonsensical progression and whatnot. But I absolutely prefer School Days to this show since it is so awful it becomes entertaining. So I guess my definition of what my personal worst show would be does in fact come down to how "forgettable" it is. It's incredibly bad, but not to the point where factors of the piece become entertaining to me.

I also agree with what you said about the lack of emotional support making the show feel empty. I personally dislike Shield Hero for the latter part of the show, but I admit the first few episodes did get me invested in the struggle Naofumi goes through (if only for a bit) and that investment miles better than anything this show has done.
Aug 6, 2019 1:05 PM

Feb 2019
It is also the worst I've ever seen. I'm only watching for Yue and because the LN is one of the best i've ever read
Aug 6, 2019 2:54 PM
Jan 2018
I wouldn't say it's the "worst" anime I've ever seen, but it's definitely not one that I'll be rewatching after a single run through.

On the other hand, I really enjoyed the novel, so if you're dissatisfied with the anime, read the novel and then see if you enjoy it- Being able to picture the characters yourself rather than seeing what the anime gave you seems better for me.
For example, Yue. I know in actuality, she got her ability at 12 which makes her look forever 12 years old. but the image I had in my mind was actually a mature 20-25 y/o... Yue is actually 300 odd years old, right? If you feel uncomfortable with her appearing as a kid, picture her as an adult :P
Aug 12, 2019 7:20 PM

Oct 2010
i agree, its the worst anime i've seen as well so far and that's without being biased
i've rated other stuff lowly but its usually cause a certain aspect of it pisses me off so im like "die"

this..? this is so cringy and bad, i feel embarrassed watching it. I'm watching it cause i wanna see how bad it is so i can laugh

the chars make no sense and the story is dumb, it feels like the script / story was written by a 8 year old kid and you can see it in everything thats happening in the anime. The way they behave and the way they talk

and all this got me philosopherin' and shit , the world is a big place, i'm sure someone, somewhere on earth will be in a specific mood with specific experiences and prolly at a young age and he'll see this anime and think "OMG THIS ANIME IS SO GOOD I GIVE IT 10 ITS MY FAVORITE OMG I WANT WIFU LIKE YUE LOOOL SO GOOD" and i feel even worse and even more embarrassed

the way the characters behave is just cringy, edgy, bad, unreasonable. There's no explanations or limits on any of their powers, there's no weight or anything, the guy loses an eye all casually without giving a shit and doesn't even talk about it or feel it or anything lmao that's just so funny

Superns18 said:
It is also the worst I've ever seen. I'm only watching for Yue and because the LN is one of the best i've ever read

that makes it kind of interesting, i wonder how it is to read a good story/production and then to see the same thing but it's trash

lots of music -
Aug 12, 2019 8:13 PM

Feb 2019
incisorr said:
i agree, its the worst anime i've seen as well so far and that's without being biased
i've rated other stuff lowly but its usually cause a certain aspect of it pisses me off so im like "die"

this..? this is so cringy and bad, i feel embarrassed watching it. I'm watching it cause i wanna see how bad it is so i can laugh

the chars make no sense and the story is dumb, it feels like the script / story was written by a 8 year old kid and you can see it in everything thats happening in the anime. The way they behave and the way they talk

and all this got me philosopherin' and shit , the world is a big place, i'm sure someone, somewhere on earth will be in a specific mood with specific experiences and prolly at a young age and he'll see this anime and think "OMG THIS ANIME IS SO GOOD I GIVE IT 10 ITS MY FAVORITE OMG I WANT WIFU LIKE YUE LOOOL SO GOOD" and i feel even worse and even more embarrassed

the way the characters behave is just cringy, edgy, bad, unreasonable. There's no explanations or limits on any of their powers, there's no weight or anything, the guy loses an eye all casually without giving a shit and doesn't even talk about it or feel it or anything lmao that's just so funny

Superns18 said:

that makes it kind of interesting, i wonder how it is to read a good story/production and then to see the same thing but it's trash

I really wanna know how they looked at the script for this shit and thought “fuck me, that looks like a great series!”
Aug 12, 2019 9:13 PM

Apr 2012
aqexpredator said:
Everything about this show is immeasurably awful. The bizarrely paced first episode already had me suspicious of the series' quality, but then at the end MC took on the Kaneki Ken hair and an incredibly apprehensive attitude that due to poor decisions with his facial expressions and voice acting just comes off as just laughably edgy. Further supported by the magic gun he creates and names like a 12 year old.

Fast forward approximately 2 and half weeks. I wasn't able to keep up with this show since I was on holiday. I hoped it might show some signs of improvement, but it has only gotten worse. With even more awful CGI monster fights (that notably seem to be the community's main problem with this show, from the episode discussions at least), pedobait, a pathetic attempt at developing a relationship, bland side characters that you have no reason to care for as well as the aforementioned problems with the MC lead me to the conclusion that this is the absolute worst anime I've seen - and it's only been 4 episodes!

From things like Yue going after Hajime's blood in a seductive manner, to the kiss he gives her to wake her up in episode 4 as well as throwing himself in between the CGI snake beam and her in a clichéd way makes this honestly feel like it was written as a self-insert fantasy by the most horny of 12 year-olds.

This is how I've perceived the show up to this point, and I want to see what others think the biggest flaws and strengths (if any) of this show are, since the episode discussions haven't given me a good idea as they just seem like incoherent gargling about obviously poor CGI. Especially if you've read the light novel, your input is greatly appreciated.

Personaly i love isekai and i liked the 5 first episodes, even though the delay and the 5.5 recap episode maked me lower my score by 1.
But my thoughts are, i went over your profile and besides the fact that u call urself a casual i noticed that like all of the series u have complete are good series so it would make sense if this is the worst u have seen.
Besides that too though, when i see your scores for "Shield Hero", "Overlord", "Isekai Quartet", the slime one, "No Game No Life" and some others i realize u dont like isekai series...... the only surpise i got was the 7 u gave to evil tanya
Aug 13, 2019 5:20 AM

May 2018
aqexpredator said:

Then you have to watch Isekai Wa Smartphone.. and I pretty sure you will regret at what you write in here. But, i really enjoy even the show is pretty suck
VinWicksNetAug 13, 2019 5:25 AM
Aug 13, 2019 5:26 AM
Apr 2017
Not even close to being the worst I've ever watched. Production values, plot, story, characters, animation are all god-awful, no doubt, but this anime is one of the most entertaining I've watched in months. I'm unironically enjoying this a lot more than stuff like angel beats, death note, byousoku 5 cm and samurai champloo. It'll still end up a 4 or something along those lines but this is quite literally a "so bad it's good" show, so far as I'm concerned.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Aug 13, 2019 9:54 AM

Dec 2013
I agree it's awful, I mean I've watched and enjoyed garbage shows in the past but this is just painful. There isn't a single redeeming quality about it, it's just a train wreck. I can't believe it has a 6.30 rating, MALs ratings really are a joke.
Aug 13, 2019 10:33 AM
Jul 2012
You won't find anything better in the current season except 3-4 titles...
Aug 13, 2019 6:17 PM
Apr 2019
Whoever create this forum just want people to agree, but sadly it won't work. No, this anime probably the worst you ever seen, but certainly not the worst to ever produced.

And don't said he can't be edgy. Look at him, he just betrayed by one of his classmates and lost his arm, then suffering in the labyrinth. Then, he force himself to eat a monster meat which is said to be taste like shit and can cause people to die painfully. So just lile Kaneki, he will have a Marie Antoniette Syndrom (please guys, it's not a transformation in anime or authors want to make it cool, it's actually a syndrom).

Though I will agree this anime is awful because of the CGI, skipped scenes in early episodes, and the repeated flashbacks. But if you ask me personaly, this is not the worst anime.

And for those who doesn't agree with MAL score, it's a score voted by over thousands people! It's a perfect score for anime like this. If you want the score to be lower, then why don't you try other worse anime and come back later.
Aug 13, 2019 6:38 PM
Mar 2015
It is painful to watch
Aug 13, 2019 8:10 PM

Dec 2014
It is moving into that tier. I've seen tons of things that I thought were worse but each passing episode Arifureta has moved past all of them. This show can't even get basic continuity and establishing location correct. How do you fuck that up? You literally just draw a picture of a cave or building.

It's pathetic. People are probably thinking "oh there's tons of horrible shit that's worse" but are you watching this shit? It's as bad as anything I've ever seen, nearly 1,000 movies and 400+ shows. Absolutely everything that could be done wrong has been done wrong.

I might agree it isn't that bad if it stayed as entertaining as the first episode but it hasn't. It has gotten more aggravating and more confusing with each episode. So yes I agree with OP. It probably isn't literally the worst but it's once of the worst I've seen.

GSFT said:

And don't said he can't be edgy. Look at him, he just betrayed by one of his classmates and lost his arm, then suffering in the labyrinth. Then, he force himself to eat a monster meat which is said to be taste like shit and can cause people to die painfully. So just lile Kaneki, he will have a Marie Antoniette Syndrom (please guys, it's not a transformation in anime or authors want to make it cool, it's actually a syndrom)..

all of those are completely valid reason to call him edgy, because he is extremely edgy. his response to losing the arm was edgy, his response to being betrayed was edgy, his response to eating that nasty monster meat was edgy, AND TURNING THE CHARACTER'S HAIR WHITE 'BECAUSE KANEKI' DID IS REALLY FUCKING EDGY AND IT WAS EDGY AS HELL WHEN KANEKI DID IT. HE IS THE KING OF EDGELORDS AND YOU MAKE NO SENSE
BuuubbblesssAug 13, 2019 8:16 PM
Aug 13, 2019 8:53 PM
Apr 2019
DiscoMilf said:
It is moving into that tier. I've seen tons of things that I thought were worse but each passing episode Arifureta has moved past all of them. This show can't even get basic continuity and establishing location correct. How do you fuck that up? You literally just draw a picture of a cave or building.

It's pathetic. People are probably thinking "oh there's tons of horrible shit that's worse" but are you watching this shit? It's as bad as anything I've ever seen, nearly 1,000 movies and 400+ shows. Absolutely everything that could be done wrong has been done wrong.

I might agree it isn't that bad if it stayed as entertaining as the first episode but it hasn't. It has gotten more aggravating and more confusing with each episode. So yes I agree with OP. It probably isn't literally the worst but it's once of the worst I've seen.

GSFT said:

And don't said he can't be edgy. Look at him, he just betrayed by one of his classmates and lost his arm, then suffering in the labyrinth. Then, he force himself to eat a monster meat which is said to be taste like shit and can cause people to die painfully. So just lile Kaneki, he will have a Marie Antoniette Syndrom (please guys, it's not a transformation in anime or authors want to make it cool, it's actually a syndrom)..

all of those are completely valid reason to call him edgy, because he is extremely edgy. his response to losing the arm was edgy, his response to being betrayed was edgy, his response to eating that nasty monster meat was edgy, AND TURNING THE CHARACTER'S HAIR WHITE 'BECAUSE KANEKI' DID IS REALLY FUCKING EDGY AND IT WAS EDGY AS HELL WHEN KANEKI DID IT. HE IS THE KING OF EDGELORDS AND YOU MAKE NO SENSE

Hahaha!! You make me laugh! I've never seen people who never understand anything like this.

When it was said edgy, it doesn't mean it's DARK or TENSE. In this case, the edgy means THE CHARACTER ARE TRYING TO BE COOL. No, the MC of Arifureta didn't try to be cool, and I said HE IS NOT COOL AT ALL. That's why I said he is NOT edgy.

And didn't you read what I said?! I said the hair-turned-white thing is not a cool transformation or the author think it's cool. IT IS NOT! How many times I have to say that it's because of syndrome! MARIE ANTENOIETTE SYNDROME!! Do you know what is it? If you don't, then I guess you never know find out why Kaneki's hair turned white, and you just thought: "Oh, he have a cool transformation so he can become stronger."

You never read Arifureta LN, so you don't fucking know how the characters are described. Tell me, how will you react if you lose your arm to a monster? Oh, you must react: "Hey, that monster eat my arm!" and do nothing about it? The reason of his reaction is because it's painful when his arm is tored. And when the monster eat his arm in front of his eyes, he feel ashamed. Why? Because at this moment, he realize HE IS TOO WEAK. And he is scared if the monster will eat him, anyone will do when you face something that is too powerful.

What is your reaction if you're betrayed- no scratch that, what if your classmate try to kill you? Oh, you must react: "He try to kill me. That's normal" and do nothing about it? Actually, the MC doesn't care about the betrayal, he is just feeling the unfairness of the world. That's why the next time he meet that traitor, he didn't held grudge. The betrayal only shows him that he shouldn't trust anyone easily and stopped become naive.

What if you eat a shit? Because the monster meat taste like a shit, or as the LN mentioned, they're worse than shit! Oh, you must react: "Hmm, this is a shit. Well, I always eat something like this." Really? I dare you to eat a shit and then tell me you feel nothing!

You don't know anything of his reaction because the anime doesn't have a narration that describe what is written in LN. Read the LN! If you still disagree, then I guess you never understand characters at all.

Neither Hajime nor Kaneki is is trying to be cool, I'm not like anyone who said they're cool just because they suddenly have personality change and become stonger. I ADMIT THEY'RE DARK, BUT NOT TRYING TO BE COOL. The definition of edgy here is a person who is TRYING to be cool, NOT become a dark character.

As for the rest of your review, you literaly said whatever I have said. This anime is a shit, but certainly not the worst. Yes, there are tons of anime that is worse. You said yourself, so why you disagree with us? It's like you're trying to make an opinion, but refuse to accept it.

Watch a lot of anime, read a lot of manga and novels. Not only anime or manga, watch a lot of western movies and read a lot of books. I already done so, that's why I said this is NOT THE WORST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN. It's my personal opinion.

Back to the edgy thing, I'm sorry if I offense you. What is your problem? Why you reacted like that to my review? I don't understand where you suddenly appear and then reacted like that. I want to make a point about the definition of edgy here. Search for that word, there are a lot of definitions.

The most acurate is it means nervous, apprehensive, sharp, or irritable. "Edgy" is a slang word for a dark or badass character. Another slang definition is to describe a character try to be cool or impress others. The most unsual definition is a character trying to troll the others. I remember I found someone who define that "edgy" in this age, is just a word people use to something they hate. That's all from me.

Once again, I'm sorry if I offense you or anyone who read this. And you can hate me for all I care.
GSFTAug 13, 2019 9:19 PM
Aug 13, 2019 10:12 PM
Aug 2019
To be honest....I don't know why I like this anime. Something about it just draws me into it and I'm starting to like it aside from the CGI and the pace of each episode. Maybe it's because I have a bad taste in anime, but as long as it keeps me interested I'll enjoy it :)
Aug 14, 2019 1:24 AM
Jul 2013
I think it's pretty great
Aug 14, 2019 7:14 AM
Jul 2016
it's good you just must understand what they're trying to do although the director didn't really skipped alot of stuff he tried to explain some information in episode 1 by other ways but sadly it wasn't gave the viewers much attention but he showed but i get most of them and he explained some stuff after episode 1 just give him a chance since he have also a limited number of episodes right there which also can't deny isn't helping his case so he trying to work on what it's available so even if he messed up it's not really his fault he's also an ecchi old director so you can expect from him something but at the same time don't expect much from him due to the limited amount of episodes
Aug 14, 2019 7:17 AM
Jul 2016
Anime-is-King said:

yeah they don't know that the anime industry itself have some issues but all we can do is hoping for better but seems people don't care about that and wants results by nitpicking and acting like toxic people which also won't help too lmao
Aug 14, 2019 6:45 PM

Aug 2019
GSFT said:

And didn't you read what I said?! I said the hair-turned-white thing is not a cool transformation or the author think it's cool. IT IS NOT! How many times I have to say that it's because of syndrome! MARIE ANTENOIETTE SYNDROME!! Do you know what is it? If you don't, then I guess you never know find out why Kaneki's hair turned white, and you just thought: "Oh, he have a cool transformation so he can become stronger."

Going stop you right there and use a bit of logic here.

What makes more sense.

A The Magical DNA altering transformation that also gives him the power to steal the powers of things he eats, changed his hair white as well as his DNA.

or

B. Author changed the MC hair because of A real life syndrome.

What makes more Sense given the context of the what we saw. Doesn't matter "Why" the author changed his Hair, this is a question about "How". Is this explained in the LN as M.A.S.? I have personally not read the LN or Manga.

Mind you if it is explained in LN as M.A.S. That be more or less a failure on the animes part for rushing and skipping so much.
Aug 14, 2019 8:48 PM
Apr 2019
Luckyuro said:
GSFT said:

Going stop you right there and use a bit of logic here.

What makes more sense.

A The Magical DNA altering transformation that also gives him the power to steal the powers of things he eats, changed his hair white as well as his DNA.

or

B. Author changed the MC hair because of A real life syndrome.

What makes more Sense given the context of the what we saw. Doesn't matter "Why" the author changed his Hair, this is a question about "How". Is this explained in the LN as M.A.S.? I have personally not read the LN or Manga.

Mind you if it is explained in LN as M.A.S. That be more or less a failure on the animes part for rushing and skipping so much.

For me, both of them make sense. Marie Antoinette Syndrome is caused by high emotional level of stress.

It was mentioned in LN (the raw) that his hair lost it's color because of stress, so it was implied the reason is the syndrome. LN mentioned that Hajime has been alone in labyrinth for days and starving. He decide to eat monster meat. Monster meat is forbidden to be eaten because not only they tasted like shit, they will kill you slowly and painfully. Hajime is lucky he have ambroside/sacred water, so he can heal his body.

The raw and some translations explains the cause of his hair turned white, but I notice some of the translations didn't mentioned it. Like I said, anime and manga doesn't have a narrator that will describe things to you, so it's better to read LN when you can't understand something.
Aug 14, 2019 9:27 PM

Mar 2012
Far from the worst I've seen but the source material has been hacked up to the point this might as well be another story. It lost me when important background info on Nagumo and his interactions/relationships with his classmates were left out along with why they are even in that world in the first place. Then filler of his would be (never gonna happen now) love interest was added while this became a boring dungeon crawl RPG. I don't even want to touch the anime's very ecchi handling of Yue with anime original ecchi stuff that didn't happen. I'm guessing this latest recap episode was a result of the disaster this adaptation has been even with the one year delay. I'm on the verge of dropping it.
Aug 14, 2019 10:10 PM

Aug 2019
GSFT said:

It was mentioned in LN (the raw) that his hair lost it's color because of stress, so it was implied the reason is the syndrome. LN mentioned that Hajime has been alone in labyrinth for days and starving. He decide to eat monster meat. Monster meat is forbidden to be eaten because not only they tasted like shit, they will kill you slowly and painfully. Hajime is lucky he have ambroside/sacred water, so he can heal his body.

Yup so it's purely on the anime's shoulders that anyone would be confused about why it changed color. Unless we buy the idea that they threw out that Folklore sydrome and just Wanted people to go with Magic of eatting monster meat.

Given how much they skipped, and or rushed pass Likely was the intention of showing it changeing during the weird DNA altering scene,
Aug 14, 2019 10:53 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
I don’t hate it (I’m not the kind of person who genuinely hates any anime) like most people in this thread, but it ranged from mediocre to subpar at least in my opinion. Most isekai anime don’t interest me in the first place, if it weren’t for the highly negative feedback I wouldn’t have watched this in the first place.
Aug 15, 2019 12:00 AM
Dec 2015
Honestly I like the show. Its not the worst I mean have you seen fairy gone? Hell, its more of a guilty pleasure anime. Its one of those you turn your brain off and just enjoy the ride.
Aug 15, 2019 12:23 AM
May 2016
People only hate this series because it’s a LN harem ecchi series
Aug 15, 2019 12:30 AM
Aug 2019
Not true there way worse anime but still a bit crappy
Aug 15, 2019 12:36 AM
Aug 2019
cswagerty said:
Honestly I like the show. Its not the worst I mean have you seen fairy gone? Hell, its more of a guilty pleasure anime. Its one of those you turn your brain off and just enjoy the ride.
is it like it's okay I watch it or mehhhh just watch it.. for you FYI I haven't seen fairy gone
Aug 15, 2019 12:38 AM

Aug 2019
Nerdanimefan1992 said:

Pretty sure there a lot of hate because of how badly managed the anime turned out.

For example I have a love/hate relationship with this anime. Love/hate because It's a trainwreck, I doubt I would keep watching it if it was just average/mediocre. But because of how It's been handled, how rushed it feels, how jarring the CGI looks, and All over the plot wants to be. It goes into a So bad It's good range. It's More fun to watch it and take in what it is and remember. This is the Second version, this is what they made after the first version got scrapped.
Aug 15, 2019 12:41 AM
Aug 2019
Luckyuro said:
Nerdanimefan1992 said:

Pretty sure there a lot of hate because of how badly managed the anime turned out.

For example I have a love/hate relationship with this anime. Love/hate because It's a trainwreck, I doubt I would keep watching it if it was just average/mediocre. But because of how It's been handled, how rushed it feels, how jarring the CGI looks, and All over the plot wants to be. It goes into a So bad It's good range. It's More fun to watch it and take in what it is and remember. This is the Second version, this is what they made after the first version got scrapped.
basically this anime it's just to fill in the gap for me and also I agree with you
Aug 15, 2019 7:50 PM

Sep 2015
I am confounded and impressed there are people defending this show. How can anyone think its bad only because of the CGI?
Absolutely how is that even possible. Is it the worst anime ever? technically no, but it lands in a range where its so bad, its just bad and unwatchable. Still watching it because I have nothing else to do, and I've been waiting episode after episode to get out of that damn dungeon.

1) Bad CGI, which is the least of all the offense but I guess it has to be mentioned given how common it is called out for. Honestly, I could tolerate it even if it makes 2009 youtube videos look amazing.

2) Inconsistencies. First they said its a 100 floor dungeon. I got for exact numbers, but adding up the floors he fell from with the floors he traveled, it far exceeds 100. Can't the author even do basic arithmetic?

2) 50% of anime is a single boring dungeon. After every episode, I think and hope the next one will be when they finally leave that God forsaken dungeon. NOPE. The dungeon is boring with no traps, no foreshadowing, no clues, no plot progressing event... NOTHING. Just a mob every episode. The mobs gets no name, gets generic abilities, gets beaten by the MC with no tension because he's OP. Its a barren place with no purpose, serves nothing to world build, develop character, or progress the plot. They could cut straight to the last floor with the dead mage and we wouldn't have missed anything.

3) No character development. NONE. A random shy boy gets nearly killed and then turns in to a whining edgelord that wants to kill everyone in under a minute is not character development. Same for the loli, she instantly attaches to him because he frees her. Wut. The author try to develop their relationship by using stupid cliche like him tanking the hits for her... and other useless 'reassuring words.' No one falls for that... This is some really bad romance where they have no chemistry(because lack of defining personality) and horrible development.
Lets not mention the other one-liners.

Argh there's too much to complain about in one post... So 'll stop at here for now. World building is one of the worst things about this series but I won't go on.
Aug 15, 2019 9:20 PM

Aug 2019
zcv45 said:
I am confounded and impressed there are people defending this show.

Don't be. There will always be a person or group that will defend something. Consider it a Universal Consent if you will.

Everything has it's fans, and what is a fan short for? Fanatic.

A person who is just that fanatical about something is willing to look pass it's flaws even if it means to turn a blind eye to the whole picture. Maybe it's the first anime they have ever seen. Maybe they want to feel like part of the fandom even if it means they have to stick thier fingers in thier ears and shut out anyone that thinks otherwise.

No matter the reason why, the end result is the same, they willing to defend something they care about no matter how bad or good it is.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

383 by Rishabh1348 »»
Mar 5, 9:52 PM

Poll: » Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2019

103 by TsunamiYT »»
Mar 2, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2019

173 by Seabury »»
Jan 14, 6:51 PM

Poll: » Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 22, 2019

158 by Seabury »»
Jan 13, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 7, 2019

171 by Mizangrh »»
Dec 26, 2023 8:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.