Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 18, 2019 1:26 AM
Jul 2018
BurningSpirit said:
Sentai Filmworks has set up a GoFundMe in support of KyoAni
https://www.gofundme.com/help-kyoani-heal

Donate if you can

deg said:
I've seen some GoFundMe's already up by some (major) companies. Do remember that Kyoto Animation (nor anyone from there) has asked for money or donation, they likely had insurance, and Japanese National Healthcare is MANDATORY for everyone.
https://twitter.com/DoctorDazza/status/1151728605027680256

just sharing that

So.... is this real now or scum? 😅
Jul 18, 2019 1:29 AM

Jan 2009
Maneki-Mew said:
BurningSpirit said:
Sentai Filmworks has set up a GoFundMe in support of KyoAni
https://www.gofundme.com/help-kyoani-heal

Donate if you can

deg said:
I've seen some GoFundMe's already up by some (major) companies. Do remember that Kyoto Animation (nor anyone from there) has asked for money or donation, they likely had insurance, and Japanese National Healthcare is MANDATORY for everyone.
https://twitter.com/DoctorDazza/status/1151728605027680256

just sharing that

the follow up tweet about that

Wait for Kyoto Animation to make a statement when they can and save your money for then.
https://twitter.com/DoctorDazza/status/1151728606571196421

so ye just wait for the official statement of KyoAni before donating anywhere about this just to prevent being scammed
Jul 18, 2019 1:30 AM

Oct 2010
Sad news. Rip. I'm curious about the motives
Jul 18, 2019 1:32 AM

Aug 2018
With 100% surety I am saying: Mentally ill jealous people would have done this to KyoAni.
H_LightstoneJul 18, 2019 1:35 AM

"The most amazing and interesting story in this world ever existed is the story of the world itself where all stories happened"
-Hassaan Lightstone-
Jul 18, 2019 1:32 AM

Nov 2014
Maneki-Mew said:
I did mention that it is from Sentai Filmworks, so at the very least it isn't a scam.

That said, as @deg said, this isn't an official statement for donations by KyoAni themselves.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jul 18, 2019 1:36 AM
Jul 2018
BurningSpirit said:
Maneki-Mew said:
I did mention that it is from Sentai Filmworks, so at the very least it isn't a scam.

That said, as @deg said, this isn't an official statement for donations by KyoAni themselves.

Thanks both. (30 characters and all)
Jul 18, 2019 1:36 AM

Oct 2017
70 people in the building
23 people dead
36 in hospital
...59 out of 70 people are either injured or dead... that's a bloody lot even for now. The entire building looks burned.
Jul 18, 2019 1:37 AM

Jan 2009
@Maneki-Mew

also if you got enough money to buy some legal BluRay of KyoAni anime then that will be better imo since KyoAni is usually among the top of the production committee of the anime they are making so that means they will get a lot of profit (share) from those legal BluRay/DVD sales
Jul 18, 2019 1:38 AM

Nov 2014
That headline should read "KyoAni was just targeted by a terrorist"
Forum Signature
Jul 18, 2019 1:44 AM
Jul 2018
deg said:
@Maneki-Mew

also if you got enough money to buy some legal BluRay of KyoAni anime then that will be better imo since KyoAni is usually among the top of the production committee of the anime they are making so that means they will get a lot of profit (share) from those legal BluRay/DVD sales

Tbh I don't even like KyoAni THAT much / it's not that outstanding for me, but I already have Koe no Katachi and Kyoukai no Kanata. Still I have to watch Hibike Euphonium, maybe that. ^^
Jul 18, 2019 2:04 AM

Mar 2017
GERXjakobson said:
I don't know what exactly the motivation was but the most realistic one is that
it was an Ex-employee with mental problems.
I understand that most people here didn't came to that possibility
because most of you are unemployed plebs.
The Japanese police confirmed that he wasn't a former employee. According to posts made on 5ch, it seems like the arsonist might've been motivated by hatred towards the new Hibike Euphonium movie.

deg said:
@Maneki-Mew

Aren't those blu rays just licensed and sold by Sentai anyways?
Jul 18, 2019 2:04 AM

Oct 2018
wtf!!!

are we really going to see the beginning of the end for anime industry? injured is one thing but to think some of them die is really heartbroken for me. I just wonder, why arsonist did this??? and some of them missing like what? got kidnapped or what?

I heard all database from kyoani is destroyed. so no violet evergarden? no new anime or new season from kyoani anymore after this?
Jul 18, 2019 2:11 AM

Nov 2014
Air-117 said:
The Japanese police confirmed that he wasn't a former employee. According to posts made on 5ch, it seems like the arsonist might've been motivated by hatred towards the new Hibike Euphonium movie.
Pardon for being skeptical, after all your source is definitely questionable. Hibike Euphonium movie premiered 3 months ago.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jul 18, 2019 2:12 AM
Jul 2018
If their workspace is affected then i'm expecting no production from them a while. Regardless this is the most terrible news I've read this year.
Jul 18, 2019 2:16 AM

Jan 2009
Air-117 said:

deg said:
@Maneki-Mew

for licensors then KyoAni can still make decent profit if it sold well (they have this sort of royalties stuff and not just the minimum guarantee stuff) source https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2012-06-11

but i heard over the years that some direct legal japanese discs have english subtitles in them but im not sure about KyoAni works though so just check it out and if it has then ye better buy those more expnesive discs directly from japan
Jul 18, 2019 2:20 AM

Feb 2019
BBC says there are 23 dead. This is so horrible I'm at a loss for words. It's so sad to see so many talented people go because of some lunatic.
Jul 18, 2019 2:26 AM
Jul 2018
Pretty damn awful. I hope the families get all the support they need and deserve.
Jul 18, 2019 2:27 AM

Jun 2012
Feel sick.

Why would anyone do this. Not only did he kill those innocent people, but he has ruined the lives of hundreds more when you consider families and friends of the victims.
Jul 18, 2019 2:29 AM
May 2018
Oh God. I just woke up from a horrible night, and first thing in the morning, I hear this...

That motherf*cker... I have no word for this situation. RIP to all those who died. I hope the studio will heal from that. They didn't make my favourite animes, but they're definitely my favourite studio.

The only bright side is he won't get away with this. He didn't flee, and he didn't die.
Everything changes. Even the happy and funny things eventually disappear. How can I still enjoy this place then?
- Furukawa Nagisa (Clannad)

You have to make a choice. Either you give up on your soul for the sake of science, or you give up on science to save your soul. In my case, the soul was already in pieces.
- Lloyd Asplund (Code Geass)

Do you understand the meaning behind Nunnaly's smile? She can't see or walk. So there are things in this world that she knows she can't do alone. Her smile... is her only way to show gratitude.
- Lelouch Vi Britannia (Code Geass)

Death is part of Life.
- ... Me.
Jul 18, 2019 2:35 AM

Feb 2019
There are multiple deaths been reported, What a horrible event, Feel sadly......
Jul 18, 2019 3:10 AM
Jul 2018
deg said:
Air-117 said:

for licensors then KyoAni can still make decent profit if it sold well (they have this sort of royalties stuff and not just the minimum guarantee stuff) source https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2012-06-11

but i heard over the years that some direct legal japanese discs have english subtitles in them but im not sure about KyoAni works though so just check it out and if it has then ye better buy those more expnesive discs directly from japan

Anyway, if it's from Sentai, I donated 10 $ now. That doesn't hurt.
It's over 200.000 $ by now, that's incredible.

It's already 23 people, who died, that's so awful. Imagine they were going to art school and had the ambition to work there, then started working for an animation studio day by day and suddenly they won't come home anymore, because they died in a fire. That feels so unrealistic.
Jul 18, 2019 3:14 AM

Jan 2009
Maneki-Mew said:
deg said:

It's already 23 people, who died, that's so awful. Imagine they were going to art school and had the ambition to work there, then started working for an animation studio day by day and suddenly they won't come home anymore, because they died in a fire. That feels so unrealistic.

ok nice that you donated hopefully Sentai will not do anything scammy with that growing donation they are raising
Jul 18, 2019 3:33 AM

Jul 2013
deg said:
Maneki-Mew said:

ok nice that you donated hopefully Sentai will not do anything scammy with that growing donation they are raising

I kind of doubt they will do anything scammy. It would ruin their company and they have licensed quite a few KyoAni things too. If they did they would be boycotted by so many people.
Jul 18, 2019 3:38 AM

Jan 2009
Calal-Chan said:
deg said:

I kind of doubt they will do anything scammy. It would ruin their company and they have licensed quite a few KyoAni things too. If they did they would be boycotted by so many people.

ye thats true i just base that on some scammy ways like even bigger capitalists like Facebook for example
Jul 18, 2019 3:39 AM

Aug 2017
The pyromaniac probably was one of those guys who send threats to tha authors just because they don't like something.I hope this horrible event doesn't develop in something as the disgusting school shooters "trend" there is in USA
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 18, 2019 3:57 AM
Feb 2018
My deepest condolences to the families.
Jul 18, 2019 5:00 AM
Jul 2018
deg said:
Calal-Chan said:

ye thats true i just base that on some scammy ways like even bigger capitalists like Facebook for example

If they have licensed KyoAni stuff, they will help themselves too, since they might make profit from selling it.
It makes them look good by supporting them in every way.

Mucosa said:
The pyromaniac probably was one of those guys who send threats to tha authors just because they don't like something.I hope this horrible event doesn't develop in something as the disgusting school shooters "trend" there is in USA

Let's hope. Creators get death threats since decades and that's not only the anime community. Western movie makers, actors etc also had been threated and even killed sometimes, but it had never been to that degree, I think.
Jul 18, 2019 5:03 AM

Dec 2012
avdx101 said:
StufedAnmalQueen said:
The person behind this is probably looking for attention, maybe as a joke. I hope the staff stay safe. Pray for their safety.

So attention whores are now spraying people with an inflammable liquid and set them on fire. We're fucked.

There's gotta be more to this.
Waifu was probably defiled by interacting with another male character.

Edit:
Didn't know about the death toll until now. I wasn't trying to make light of it.
ZekkenshinJul 18, 2019 6:03 AM
Jul 18, 2019 5:23 AM

Jun 2019
Just read that at least 25 suspected dead, that's terrible. I hope they find it was accidental and not a targeted arson attack. Just read that it looks like it was an arson attack, someone used gasoline, what sick fucker would so something like this!

Condolences to the family & friends of the victims.
Jul 18, 2019 6:10 AM

Sep 2017
The death toll has gone up to 33. I feel terribly sad about that. They were all passionate animators who bring joy to millions of people in the world. How could that have happened? I'm speechless.
Jul 18, 2019 6:21 AM

Jun 2017
Nearly 30 confirmed or presumed dead......this is sickening. I hope that the studio can recover from this loss and the families get the support they deserve
Jul 18, 2019 6:28 AM
Jun 2019
REST IN PEACE! TO THOSE LEGENDS WHO DIED :((
Jul 18, 2019 6:51 AM
Jul 2018
This is horrible. Thoughts and prayers with the victims and their loved ones.
Jul 18, 2019 7:09 AM

Aug 2009
RIP

This is pretty insane... I wonder what the motivation was. I remember I used to like a lot of their older shows like the Key adaptations, Haruhi and FMP: Fumoffu? is still one of my all time fave comedies. I'm not really too big on their newer works but A Silent Voice was an amazing adaptation.

Anyway I hope the studio pulls through and none of their projects are majorly impacted.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jul 18, 2019 7:12 AM
May 2019
I don't understand what would anyone gain from this. Why pick them they are pretty good studio. Things like this makes me wonder if humanity was a mistake.
Jul 18, 2019 7:18 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
i keep trying to convince myself that this isn't real

not just being an anime fan, especially a moe fag but, this generally isn't what you expect to hear from japan
Jul 18, 2019 8:48 AM

Oct 2015
This is very sad..
Hope their families get support and can pull through this tragedy.
Jul 18, 2019 10:34 AM
Jul 2013
My one request to all communities that are vested in the continued development of this tragedy: Don't use the perpetrator's name. Do not spread it.

Infamy is still recognition. And widespread infamy is still widespread recognition. Do not give him the satisfaction that his name is out there as the one who did this.
Jul 18, 2019 10:59 AM

Apr 2016
20 people died on the staircase leading up to the roof.

This is what the explosion would've been like inside, from 20 liters of gasoline. He brought 40, plus there's a ton of flammable material like paper inside

There was a card key system to get in but the studio was expecting visitors that day so it was disabled.

resniperowl said:
My one request to all communities that are vested in the continued development of this tragedy: Don't use the perpetrator's name. Do not spread it.

Infamy is still recognition. And widespread infamy is still widespread recognition. Do not give him the satisfaction that his name is out there as the one who did this.

Even if his name was reported he'd be hardly remembered by anyone off of the top of their head. Can you recall who shot JFK? Who shot John Lennon? Who shot up Virginia Tech? The person who shot up the theater when Dark Knight released? No?

People remember the victims, not the killers.
Jul 18, 2019 11:22 AM

May 2019
I was heartbroken when I heard the news. I hope everyone who passed away rests in peace. What an absolutely cruel and shitty world we live in where we have people lighting buildings filled with people on fire.
Jul 18, 2019 11:34 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Off of the top of my head:

Valyrian1124 said:
Can you recall who shot JFK?

Lee Harvey Oswald

Who shot John Lennon?

Mark David Chapman

Who shot up Virginia Tech?

Korean guy, not even going to try to guess at the name because it's too foreign and out there compared to what I'm generally able to internalize

The person who shot up the theater when Dark Knight released?

(something) Holmes

I know for a fact I'm at least two for four because the first two aren't especially difficult to answer if you're familiar with both of the victims, who are both incredibly famous individuals.

The first two are a given considered we're talking about one of the most famous musicians of all time and an American president. These are very easy to remember, and more importantly, of course the victims are given elevation. They are famous and had many accomplishments in their lives and many admirers prior to their deaths.

The latter two are (decently) recent examples of large scale shootings. Tell me, when are we going to start remembering stuff like the Texas Tower Shooting and commemorating that outside of extremely localized instances? Who gets more attention in most Columbine Documentaries? Hell, the Edmond Post Office Shooting is remembered primarily for the phrase it spawned and the event that spawned said phrase, both the shooter and the victim, has fallen into relatively obscurity in comparison, especially since the subtext is more in reference to the shooter's actions than the victims through the way it uses the verb "Going."

Iunno what it is with Americans and their love of mass shootings, but meh, hard to dig up other examples from various countries that date back and didn't involve famous or easily remembered victims.

Oh, the one school shooting in late '70s San Diego is primarily remembered for the killer's reason of "I Don't Like Mondays" which was turned into a hit song. Most people don't even know where the school was from and I only remembered it was even an American shooting after looking it up just now and all of this time had thought it to be a European one for some reason.

Anyway, also remember Ted Bundy, Jeffrey Dahmer, so on and so forth. It's not a matter of victim or killer, it's relative prominence of either. Charles Manson and his cronies killed a celebrity in Sharon Tate, and Manson himself is far more remembered and thought of than Tate. Because Manson himself became more prominent than Tate, let alone the rest of his victims, and Bundy and Dahmer gained prominence through their victim count and being serial killers. Prominence matters more to the populace's memory than whether or not they were a victim or killer. A better question to try to get somebody to answer off of the top of their head with extreme difficulty would be "Who was one of Bundy's victims?" instead of "Who shot JFK?" Or hell, even "Who was the actress that the Manson family killed?" would be extremely difficult. I didn't remember the name at all and had to Google it.

Anyway, this post of mine is kind of pedantic, but to say that the killers don't tend to be remembered more than the victims and citing JFK and John Lennon to back yourself up seemed kind of silly to me. In the case of Japan specifically, I know that people like the Otaku Killer are greatly remembered instead of their victims, albeit in a way comparable to Bundy and Dahmer, and that's played a much bigger role in propagating social stigma against otaku over there than simply digging 2D chicks has ever contributed. Considering the comparative rarity of this level of violence over there, I wouldn't be surprised that the guy gets remembered more than you're willing to ascribe him given incidents like these are going to be more shocking than they are in America, or hell, even here in Europe, albeit considering who he attacked it's very likely they'll still take the spotlight this time, 'specially in the West.

That'd be my prediction, at least, KyoAni still wins because KyoAni is not some small anime studio in any location. If it were Asread or .feel, I would be saying something different, just like the strength of the reactions and the coverage this received would also very likely be different had it been a studio like that and not KyoAni. Although I highly doubt the guy is going to be forgotten suddenly and quickly considering the long-term impact that previous mass killers have had in that society and the comparative rarity of these things in Japan compared to, iunno, pretty much literally the rest of the world. That society is not as desensitized to these things as Europe, or especially America, and will very likely have a more fear-induced reaction because of as much.
ManabanJul 18, 2019 12:01 PM

Jul 18, 2019 1:27 PM

Apr 2016
Police report

From the first floor window and debris spread, it is concluded that the first floor had an explosion occur, and the extensive damage to the outer wall of the 2nd and 3rd floor, show that it was very high temperture, so it is likely that an liquid like gasoline or other was used to start and make the fire bigger"

Normal fire inside a building don't reach temperature over 1000 degree, but gasoline fire can reach over 1500 degree, able to melt metal at that temperture it is impossible to breath, people on the first floor was perished quickly, 2nd and 3rd floor heard the explosion, but before had time to reach, the fire and smoke came, and they didn't had time to run/react.

Due to the unatural speed and spread of the fire, likely rising a few meter after igniting so spreading very fast, there wasn't time for the fire alarm and fire door to activate, making escape impossible, the only secure way now is to increase checking of personal item and coming in and out of building.

Fire can spread exponentially fast. It can utterly consume a room in mere seconds.
Jul 18, 2019 1:58 PM

Feb 2017
I want to express my sympathies for the victims of his morbid incident but words fail me at the moment. Just remember that every death is a tragedy no matter the person's level of involvement at KyoAni. I see a lot of focus on the directors but just remember that no auteur, no matter how ingenious can stand on their own.
Jul 18, 2019 3:15 PM

Feb 2016
update as of now: 33 dead, many injured.

i like soup

Jul 18, 2019 5:12 PM

Apr 2015
I've little else but disgust for the perpetrator of this tragedy. If he dies of the injuries he sustained himself, he will have gotten off easy.
Jul 18, 2019 5:17 PM

Jun 2019
We need to have a clear statement of motive, either from the perpetrator himself or something should be disclosed to the news from police sources. Apparently there was a plagiarism dispute, but I would like to hear it in his own words or something close to it in a lot more detail.
Jul 18, 2019 5:32 PM

Jul 2010
I honestly don't give a damn about the suspects motivation. No matter what his reasons are it will still be pathetic and inexcusable. I'd much rather have a list of victims, as they are far more worth remembering than the sick fuck who did this.
Jul 18, 2019 6:55 PM

Jan 2009
ok there is a legit news article now about the supposed motive was

The arson killed and hurt so many innocent people because he believed kyoani stole an idea for his novel??
https://twitter.com/tiffako/status/1152002010629062657
Jul 18, 2019 7:03 PM

Apr 2016
deg said:
ok there is a legit news article now about the supposed motive was

The arson killed and hurt so many innocent people because he believed kyoani stole an idea for his novel??
https://twitter.com/tiffako/status/1152002010629062657

That rumor has been circulating since this morning, one among many.

Apparently there was a regular poster on 2 chan who had a signature saying, and then thought KyoAni plagiarized him when they used a similar phrase in Hibike Euphonium. Then, the day before the fire, he posted a rant and disappeared. He hasn't posted since.

Really best to just wait for the official report.
Jul 18, 2019 7:08 PM

Jan 2009
to those that want to donate do this instead (if you have not yet)

One immediate way to give directly to the studio (through buying digital artwork) is through their online digital store.
@gokunobaka
has helped make a picture guide of how to order these and give some money directly.
(link in the tweet they're replying to)
more info here https://twitter.com/ultimatemegax/status/1151839664891944960

@Valyrian1124

ye better wait for the official police report
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» What old anime could become popular today?

W3TFT - Apr 18

25 by JoeChip »»
43 seconds ago

» Has anyone noticed how sequel bias is an anime only thing?

APolygons2 - 1 minute ago

0 by APolygons2 »»
1 minute ago

» Do You Consider Yourself a Generous or a Harsh Scorer?

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

11 by ggultra2764 »»
4 minutes ago

» Why is there no Manga chapters at the top info when Anime have it?

Tongmuan - 3 hours ago

2 by Tongmuan »»
7 minutes ago

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - Yesterday

38 by Kenzolo-folk »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.