Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 11, 2019 4:07 AM

Apr 2019
With Shield Hero's season slowly coming to an end, I would like to find out where people see it's place in the glorious history of anime. Talking absolute rating is pointless when you do not share a rating distribution, but you can always compare relatively. Not everybody knows the same shows, but that doesn't hurt much.

To me Shield Hero is Isekai genre in name only, it mainly uses that trope for speeding up narration and never fully depends on it. In Re:Zero or SAO the whole story would collapse without the Isekai plot devices "restore point" or "omnipotent game controller". Shield Hero depends less on elements like that, it is closer to isekai-less epic fantasy such as Spice & Wolf, Made in Abyss, Ancient Mage Bride, or Danmachi. It still is Isekai, so it can compare to entries from both genres.

I want to ask you to compare Shield to Re:Zero, which I consider the most direct and well-known competitor, and other shows you are familiar with and deem similar. Please use pseudo-math notation. "<" means better by 1 rating degree, "=" as good as. For my personal taste and known shows from fantasy and Isekai, I get:

Youjo Senki = Danmachi < Re:Zero < Shield Hero = No Game No Life < Spice & Wolf < Made in Abyss

Your mileage certainly will differ and I love to hear about it.
inimJun 11, 2019 4:16 AM

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 11, 2019 4:58 AM

Jun 2017
inim said:

To me Shield Hero is Isekai genre in name only, it mainly uses that trope for speeding up narration and never fully depends on it.

But it does depend on it. Naofumi is the only one who doesn't know the rules of that world and therefore faces problems.

The other three heroes have different views about the new world and engage in arguments. They wouldn't have made mistakes (like leaving the dragon's corpse) if they didn't treat it as a game.

Naofumi constantly thinks about going back to his world and that would shape his decisions.

All of these developments wouldn't have been possible if it wasn't an isekai.

As for your original Question, I would consider Danmachi and NGNL better than SH simply because they are more entertaining to watch. I haven't seen ReZero yet. I can't compare Spice and wolf as it focuses on romance and trading aspects and Made in abyss is about exploring the unkown. Shield hero's world is very similar to age of ancient kingdoms with magic thrown in. There is not much to explore.
Jun 11, 2019 10:15 AM

Feb 2018
inim said:

Youjo Senki = Danmachi < Re:Zero < Shield Hero = No Game No Life < Spice & Wolf < Made in Abyss

Your mileage certainly will differ and I love to hear about it.

Made in Abyss <<<<<< NGNL = Sheild Bro < Youjo Senki < Spice and Wolf = Re:Zero in my opinion
Jun 11, 2019 10:45 AM
Jul 2018
I've only read a couple of the chapters from the Shield Hero manga, but I'm assuming that the anime follows the manga:

1) Focus
Shield Hero feels far more focused to me. What do I mean? Well, within the first few chapters of Shield Hero, there's a clear idea of where the story is going: the protagonist is trying to help save the world.
Within the first few episodes of Re: Zero, I literally had no clue where the story is going; what is the protagonist's goal what is he trying to accomplish, which I still barely know even 25 episodes later.
Because Re: Zero has no sense of focus, all its gore and violence come off to me as almost pointless, thus edgy: sure, there are plot points hinted at, but what about in the meantime?
Yes, season 1 of Re: Zero is supposed to be a, "prologue" but even prologues have a keen direction. The Golden Age Arc of Berserk was a prologue, and it had a very clear focus: to crown Griffith king.

2) Stakes

There are no stakes in Re: Zero, because Subaru always conveniently resets to the right checkpoint. Maybe this might change in future seasons, but at the very least, season 1 sucks for these reasons. The 25 eps of Re: Zero we got, could've showed Subaru permanently failing at points, but it doesn't. Subaru's "tactics" are painfully basic. You'd think that with all the heavy stuff he faces, it would cause his adrenaline rush to get him to start thinking insane tactics like in Ultimate Survivor Kaiji, but no.

3) Protagonists

Naofumi >> Subaru. Naofumi's personality is less quirky (unlike Subaru who's just plain annoying) and down-to-Earth, and the story perfectly justifies him becoming an asshole.
Yes, Subaru does mature, but I would've preferred to see a much darker side to his personality for a while. For example, show him genuinely traumatized for a big chunk of the series: have him experience flashbacks, more nightmares, hallucinations, trust issues, etc.
Subaru's baseline character doesn't make sense either: does it make sense for him to be glad to be transported into an isekai? Yes. Does it make sense for him to literally never question how he got transported into an isekai? No. It's basic human nature to question things that happen spontaneously. If a beautiful girl I had a crush on suddenly confessed to me, I wouldn't just immediately go out with her, I would've asked her why she confessed to me. Imagine how interesting it would be if Subaru was so shocked at being transported into a fantasy world, he'd have difficulty comprehending his surroundings for a while: because the idea of a fantasy world existing is beyond our concept of reality. So what would happen if that concept of reality was breached? Re: Zero has a lot of potential, but utilizes very little of it.

Compared to other isekai series, Shield Hero bores me, in that I feel as though even if it has a focus, it feels like stuff just kinda happens. Or maybe it's because I'm in the early chapters. I find No Game No Life far more entertaining, story and character wise than Shield Hero.
So basically:

Made in Abyss > Spice and Wolf > Shield Hero >>>> Re: Zero
Jun 11, 2019 12:15 PM

Apr 2018
Re:zero is the best anime of all time imo...so yeah, worse than that. Still pretty fine tho

If I were to make a ranking using the anime u mentioned it'd be smth like:
Re:Zero >>> No game No Life > Made In Abyss > Spice & Wolf > Danmachi > Shield Hero
(Haven't watched Youjo Senki)
vhagar8Jun 11, 2019 12:18 PM
Jun 11, 2019 12:20 PM

Jan 2015
Did you just put Made in Abyss as the worst one? LMAO
And what has it do to with anything here
Jun 11, 2019 1:09 PM

Apr 2013
It's definitely better than Re:Zero, which doesn't say much, considering that the only isekai I can list that is worse of re:zero is...Girls bravo. If you ever find a worse isekai than this one, don't bother telling me btw; as I certainly DON'T want to know~.
So using those you listed

Re:Zero<< NGNL < Shield Hero < Danmachi<<< Youjo Senki <= Spice & Wolf <= Made in Abyss ; and the best three are all very good so the order don't feel really that important.
Jun 11, 2019 1:29 PM
Apr 2016
Why is made in abyss mentioned? It's not an isekai
Jun 11, 2019 2:03 PM

Apr 2013
AddiTeacha2 said:
Why is made in abyss mentioned? It's not an isekai

HE did say fantasy and isekai. Spice & wolf and danmachi are no isekai either.
Jun 11, 2019 2:21 PM

Dec 2016
Shield Emo is horrible, and given how many people have expressed disappointment with the anime after episode 4/5, I think it will widely be remembered as such - at least, to the extent that it is remembered at all.

Regardless, the fanboys will go on believing that the fake edge and "mature" themes make this series a masterpiece.
Jun 11, 2019 2:30 PM

Jul 2017
If we're talking about early Shield Hero, then I would put it up there as a pretty good isekai. Now though SH taken a big drop

In terms of the ones you mentioned:

DanMachi <<<<< Shield Hero < Youjo Senki <= Spice and Wolf << Re:Zero = NGNL <<< Made in Abyss

Xenocrisi said:
Did you just put Made in Abyss as the worst one? LMAO
And what has it do to with anything here

pretty sure they put MiA as the best one lol...
Jun 11, 2019 5:33 PM
Jun 2019
the reason why RE ZERO is better, because the animation was made very well by the whitefox studio, seriously the animation doesn't look lazy, lots of fantastic color details,

while the SHIELD HERO animation is so bad, the music is a bad tone, the story is changed a lot from the manga, but the animation is clearly not as bad as OPM S2 by JC STAFF,

so the conclusion of anime studios influences how well the anime series is made, a small example of a manga series BERSERK is very perfect and popular but anime is just rubbish with ugly CGI images, the anime industry is only filled with injustice
Jun 11, 2019 5:58 PM

Jul 2013
The best of Re:Zero and Shield are about the same. The worst of Re:Zero was a full on cringefest, whereas the worst of Shield was just boring. By that, I'd say Shield is better.

As for the other shows: Danmachi <<<< Re:Zero < Shield Hero <= Slime <<< Spice & Wolf < No Game No Life = KonoSuba
Jun 11, 2019 7:10 PM

May 2014
SSL443 said:
Shield Emo is horrible, and given how many people have expressed disappointment with the anime after episode 4/5, I think it will widely be remembered as such - at least, to the extent that it is remembered at all.

Regardless, the fanboys will go on believing that the fake edge and "mature" themes make this series a masterpiece.

Both Re:Zero and Shield Hero fall into this, and be sure Arifureta and Mushoku Tensei will too. Isekai fanboys are way too easily impressible.
Jun 11, 2019 8:15 PM

Dec 2016
Rhapsody- said:
Both Re:Zero and Shield Hero fall into this, and be sure Arifureta and Mushoku Tensei will too. Isekai fanboys are way too easily impressible.

The Shield*** fanboys are extra special.
Jun 12, 2019 3:11 AM

Jan 2015
this trash is at the bottom of the list
Jun 12, 2019 3:24 AM

Mar 2018
HopefulNihilist said:
I've only read a couple of the chapters from the Shield Hero manga, but I'm assuming that the anime follows the manga:

1) Focus
Shield Hero feels far more focused to me. What do I mean? Well, within the first few chapters of Shield Hero, there's a clear idea of where the story is going: the protagonist is trying to help save the world.
Within the first few episodes of Re: Zero, I literally had no clue where the story is going; what is the protagonist's goal what is he trying to accomplish, which I still barely know even 25 episodes later.
Because Re: Zero has no sense of focus, all its gore and violence come off to me as almost pointless, thus edgy: sure, there are plot points hinted at, but what about in the meantime?
Yes, season 1 of Re: Zero is supposed to be a, "prologue" but even prologues have a keen direction. The Golden Age Arc of Berserk was a prologue, and it had a very clear focus: to crown Griffith king.

2) Stakes

There are no stakes in Re: Zero, because Subaru always conveniently resets to the right checkpoint. Maybe this might change in future seasons, but at the very least, season 1 sucks for these reasons. The 25 eps of Re: Zero we got, could've showed Subaru permanently failing at points, but it doesn't. Subaru's "tactics" are painfully basic. You'd think that with all the heavy stuff he faces, it would cause his adrenaline rush to get him to start thinking insane tactics like in Ultimate Survivor Kaiji, but no.

3) Protagonists

Naofumi >> Subaru. Naofumi's personality is less quirky (unlike Subaru who's just plain annoying) and down-to-Earth, and the story perfectly justifies him becoming an asshole.
Yes, Subaru does mature, but I would've preferred to see a much darker side to his personality for a while. For example, show him genuinely traumatized for a big chunk of the series: have him experience flashbacks, more nightmares, hallucinations, trust issues, etc.
Subaru's baseline character doesn't make sense either: does it make sense for him to be glad to be transported into an isekai? Yes. Does it make sense for him to literally never question how he got transported into an isekai? No. It's basic human nature to question things that happen spontaneously. If a beautiful girl I had a crush on suddenly confessed to me, I wouldn't just immediately go out with her, I would've asked her why she confessed to me. Imagine how interesting it would be if Subaru was so shocked at being transported into a fantasy world, he'd have difficulty comprehending his surroundings for a while: because the idea of a fantasy world existing is beyond our concept of reality. So what would happen if that concept of reality was breached? Re: Zero has a lot of potential, but utilizes very little of it.

Compared to other isekai series, Shield Hero bores me, in that I feel as though even if it has a focus, it feels like stuff just kinda happens. Or maybe it's because I'm in the early chapters. I find No Game No Life far more entertaining, story and character wise than Shield Hero.
So basically:

This. For me Re:Zero is hot garbage and Shield Hero is mediocre.
Jun 12, 2019 3:54 AM

Feb 2019
There is nothing redeeming about Shield hero that can be considered As Good & this is coming from someone who loves the Manga/LN

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Jun 12, 2019 5:50 AM
Jun 2019
JustMonaka said:

As for the other shows: Danmachi <<<< Re:Zero < Shield Hero <= Slime <<< Spice & Wolf < No Game No Life = KonoSuba

I think like this, the sequence of the best to worst animation series = <Re zero <Shield hero <Konosuba <SAO <Slime <Dan Machi <Yonjo senki <Spice Wolf,
while the rest is just isekai rubbish
Jun 12, 2019 5:57 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Well if we're comparing all the ones you mentioned then probably:

No Game No Life > Re:Zero > Made in Abyss > Spice & Wolf > Youjo Senki > Shield Hero = Danmachi

Last one depends on how you look at it. Danmachi eventually becomes quite good around volume 7-8 or so but the anime hasn't gotten there yet

Either way, NGNL/Re:Zero/MiA/S&W are quite far ahead of the rest of the pack
Jun 12, 2019 6:20 AM

Feb 2017
Youjo Senki = KonoSuba > Re:Zero = Overlord = SAO > DanMachi
Jun 12, 2019 6:27 AM

Apr 2019
dontusman said:
Where would Shield Hero fit into your equation? And I intentionally left out Konosuba (same league as Spice&Wolf in my book) because it is isekai in name only to me. The characters and their comic power would work in any genre, so the fantasy aspect is almost accidential. It's the brilliantly designed sitcom cast which resonates with me.
inimJun 12, 2019 6:31 AM

Jun 12, 2019 6:46 AM

Feb 2017
inim said:
dontusman said:
Where does Shield Hero fit into your equation? And I intentionally left out Konosuba (same league as Spice&Wolf for me) because it is isekai in name only to me. The characters and their comic power would work in any genre, so the fantasy aspect is almost accidential. It is the brilliant sitcom cast which resonates with me.

Hmm, i think it's = Danmachi. But i watch all DanMachi episodes. I'm just watch 3 episodes of Shield Hero because for me it's badly adapted. The LN was pretty good i think.
I love konosuba with its way to parody the overpowered nice guy in isekai genre.
Honestly, Youjo Senki was also badly adapted because in anime Tanya does not seems to any emotion aside from happiness or anger. But i'm also stupidly like her(his?) anime version.
Jun 12, 2019 9:28 AM

Aug 2016

Spice & Wolf > KonoSuba > Made in Abyss = Re:Zero = Overlord > Shield Hero = Danmachi = No Game No Life = Youjo Senki > Sword Art Online
Ego = 1 / Knowledge | "More the Knowledge Lesser the Ego, Lesser the Knowledge More the Ego." Albert Einstein
My ratings:
Jun 12, 2019 9:35 AM
Jan 2018
i was just about to say danmachi isn't an isekai untill i read it properly.
Jun 12, 2019 9:37 AM

Jun 2014
For me SH is the best isekai anime that have come out that I have seen and second best isekai that I have read(after Kumo desu ga, nani ka). Things that Shield hero have that others don't have/do as well and that I love in isekais.

1. Grinding. He starts from level 1 and he is leveling/gaining abilities almost every episodes. It feels like most of the things he gain, he have earned it as well. I also love optimizing stats, items etc. in games.

2. Competition. He starts with other isekai'd people that he have to compete and compare with. Later he realize that he have to work with his rivals to survive and to get stronger.

3. Mystery. I love gradually finding out about the main plot(the waves), the subplot(church vs shield) and the world. Also the audience knows about as much of the world as the MC so theorizing is fun.

4. Relateable. Although it is not always important that most things he does/feel I would do as well. It is a huge + for me especially in an isekai.

5. Emotional. Not only does it have a lot of sad/angry moments it also have a similar humor as me. There are few shows that I laugh at almost every joke and this is one of those.

Granted I'm biased towards SH since I read the source of those and know where it is going. Unless Re:zero season 2 have a lot of grinding, competing and unraveling mysteries then it won't even come close for me.
Jun 12, 2019 9:54 AM

Apr 2019
Mattinator95 said:
i was just about to say danmachi isn't an isekai until i read it properly.

This poll is not limited to isekai, which isn't a "real" genre anyway - it's always an individual blend of action, fantasy, epic fantasy, drama, shounen, supernatural, magic, romance, ecchi and whatnot only unified by the fact there are elements from computer RPG used as plot or story devices. The degree to which that happens varies wildly from show to show. Also the weight of the ingredient genres in the mix and the influence on the plot differs wildly. In this thread I asked to compare with the epic fantasy genre as well as with the general class "isekai", because epic fantasy is the by far largest component used in SH's particular story design. This is also a large part of the rationale why in my personal taste Re:Zero < Shield Hero, I simply do not like action and shounen too much, and the weight of those are a lot higher in that show.

Jun 12, 2019 10:27 AM

Dec 2013
Unsurprisingly, I think Shield Hero is bottom of the barrel isekai.

Shield Hero < SAO < Re:Zero < Log Horizon
Jun 12, 2019 11:02 AM

Apr 2017
any other isekai ANIME < Konosuba = Youjo Senkii < Log Horizon < Shield Hero <= Re:Zero < Overlord = Tensura < No Game No Life < SAO
ZeroDreaMJun 13, 2019 6:14 AM
Jun 12, 2019 11:24 AM

Mar 2019
What are you talking about? obviously shield hero depends on an "Isekai plot devices" that is his shield and "hero status" which gives him many advantages, that nobody else has as the new skills, the fact that he does not seem omnipotent is no reason to think that he is excluded from other protagonists like subaru, this one has an advantage in this world, but that's not important, the problem is that the level of history and world construction is terrible, these shows seem more focused on making their protagonist suffer a hell so that Afterwards any achievement that they get seems well deserved, but that is very easy and basic.

Berserk is not a good fantasy story simply because Guts suffered and was betrayed by his friend, is good because of the content and the development that the plot has, also of good characters.

Jun 12, 2019 1:51 PM
Jan 2019
Even if the animation can be lazy at times and the episodes are based on plot convenience, I still find Shield Bro better than Re:Zero.

Overall, I think it goes like this:

Overlord >>> NGNL > KonoSuba > Shield Hero > Youko Senji = Re:Zero >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SAO = TSSDK
Jun 12, 2019 2:14 PM

Mar 2019
Please don't compare this show to the quality of MiA and Spice and Wolf. This series really is quite average. Danmachi and Re:zero are both more entertaining than SH as well.
Jun 12, 2019 2:17 PM

Feb 2016
Isekai is hot garbage in general. The only Isekai that was decent was NGNL.
ArtifiyingsJun 12, 2019 2:52 PM
Jun 12, 2019 2:47 PM
Jul 2016
HopefulNihilist said:

1) Focus

2) Stakes

3) Protagonists

So basically:

What you criticise of lacking in Re:Zero was actually there.

The whole premise was that he resets in the past each time he dies, and there are consequences aka his sanity etc to the point it nearly got annoying (so why would you want to see more of that or say its not there enough) so its not plot armor in the way you are insinuating... And they showed that dying wasn't what an easy way out because you'd have to re-live immense pain, and no one would remember anything, eliminating any precious moments he shared with the characters, neither could he tell them, . How is that not a strong consequence.

I disagree that the show needed to show him gawking for 300episodes that the protagonist is in a new fantasy world but I agree that the motivation for the Subaru was superbly weak, which is where i'd agree with you as to why would Subaru not be trying to get out of that world suffering all that plain. knowing he isn't from there.

Re:Zero to me was more tight knit in how it was presented from start to end just as a story and had great visuals and epic directive shots to symbolise intense fear or just the magnitude of a situation like the introduction to seeing the giant whale. Just a great build up FANTASTIC sound direction and build up to that.
Maybe i got nostalgic goggles, i dont know.

Shield hero, started strong but its just flat and who knows or cares to whats happening at this point, there isn't a story to care about. And theres no worthwhile consequences to anything in that show. Plot shield for days. Waves are boring. Characters are insanely dumb. Dialogue and actions dont make sense either.

ItsBritneyBitchJun 12, 2019 3:01 PM
Jun 12, 2019 3:00 PM
Jun 2019
Swizze said:
Please don't compare this show to the quality of MiA and Spice and Wolf. This series really is quite average. Danmachi and Re:zero are both more entertaining than SH as well.

I don't understand why people like you and others think spice and wolf are the top isekai series, the story is even very boring and bad, I even fall asleep when watching 1 episode, konosuba is even better and not boring in my opinion, oh yeah I add slime and Re zero, I'm never tired of watching these two series
Jun 12, 2019 3:04 PM

Mar 2019
Raphtaliamal said:
Swizze said:

I don't understand why people like you and others think spice and wolf are the top isekai series, the story is even very boring and bad, I even fall asleep when watching 1 episode, konosuba is even better and not boring in my opinion, oh yeah I add slime and Re zero, I'm never tired of watching these two series

It's not even an isekai, and it's most likely because people like me can appreciate and enjoy witty dialogue and not just want to watch explosions all day every day.
Jun 12, 2019 3:08 PM

Feb 2016
Shield hero is a low budget anime adaptation which derived from it's original source
I can see why it's so popular , but it's actually not really that good as people claim.
Danmachi = Shield Hero < Youjo Senki < Re Zero < No game no life < Spice and wolf <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< MADE IN ABYSS
Jun 12, 2019 3:22 PM

Jan 2009
Artifiyings said:

Sounds like you haven't watched Twelve Kingdoms. Do that right now.
Jun 12, 2019 3:27 PM

Feb 2016
DeadBonesBrook said:
Artifiyings said:

Sounds like you haven't watched Twelve Kingdoms. Do that right now.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'm just getting tired of modern Isekai in general.
Jun 12, 2019 4:07 PM
Jul 2018
ItsBritneyBitch said:

The whole premise was that he resets in the past each time he dies, and there are consequences aka his sanity etc to the point it nearly got annoying (so why would you want to see more of that or say its not there enough)

Subaru never loses his sanity, though. He was:

ItsBritneyBitch said:

so its not plot armor in the way you are insinuating... And they showed that dying wasn't what an easy way out because you'd have to re-live immense pain, and no one would remember anything,

The plot armor I'm talking about, is that the plot literally allows the protagonist to try as many times as he wants, before he succeeds.

ItsBritneyBitch said:
eliminating any precious moments he shared with the characters, neither could he tell them, . How is that not a strong consequence.

I just realized another problem I have with the series when you pointed that out: the protagonist never had any proper chemistry with any of the characters. He meets the main heroine and just decides to follow her to the ends of the Earth, because she's pretty and saved his life.

ItsBritneyBitch said:
I disagree that the show needed to show him gawking for 300episodes that the protagonist is in a new fantasy world

I never said the show needed 300 episodes for the protagonist to process the fact that he's in a fantasy world.

ItsBritneyBitch said:

Re:Zero to me was more tight knit in how it was presented from start to end just as a story

I mean I don't know why you found the story to be tight. I already explained why I didn't, so I'd like to read your point of view here.

ItsBritneyBitch said:
and had great visuals

I don't understand what's great about the visuals. Re: Zero looks literally like every isekai I've seen. I can say the character designs stand out more.

ItsBritneyBitch said:
and epic directive shots to symbolise intense fear

Wouldn't you credit that to great artwork?

ItsBritneyBitch said:
or just the magnitude of a situation like the introduction to seeing the giant whale.

I don't understand how the buildup to the whale has to do with direction, instead of story buildup. Direction implies things like shots; the way things are arranged within a frame.

ItsBritneyBitch said:
FANTASTIC sound direction and build up to that.

Are you referring to that eerie sound that plays when things are supposed to get creepy? I thought it was annoying. Otherwise, I don't remember the soundtrack.

ItsBritneyBitch said:

Re: Zero aired in 2016, 3 years before today. I've never heard of anyone referring to an anime as nostalgic when they just watched it 3 years ago, but if that's nostalgic to you, that's fine.

ItsBritneyBitch said:
Shield hero, started strong but its just flat and who knows or cares to whats happening at this point, there isn't a story to care about. And theres no worthwhile consequences to anything in that show. Plot shield for days. Waves are boring. Characters are insanely dumb. Dialogue and actions dont make sense either.

I am thinking of dropping the Shield Hero manga, as nothing interesting has happened so far.
Jun 12, 2019 4:37 PM
Jun 2019
[quote=HopefulNihilist]
ItsBritneyBitch said:

I am thinking of dropping the Shield Hero manga, as nothing interesting has happened so far.
yes maybe the only thing that can make you interested is only when you see an emilia hairy ass
Jun 12, 2019 6:14 PM

Apr 2019
HopefulNihilist said:
ItsBritneyBitch said:
I disagree that the show needed to show him gawking for 300episodes that the protagonist is in a new fantasy world
I never said the show needed 300 episodes for the protagonist to process the fact that he's in a fantasy world.
Fuck yea, I want the "Endless Three Hundred". I'm Haruhi Suzumiya and I approve this message.

ItsBritneyBitch said:
or just the magnitude of a situation like the introduction to seeing the giant whale.
ItsBritneyBitch said:
Re:Zero to me was more tight knit in how it was presented from start to end just as a story
Except when it was not. I'm not a shounen or action fan at all, and the White Whale and 80% of the Petelgeutse arc bored me to death.

ItsBritneyBitch said:
I only stayed in for everybody's favorite boob loli Rem. She is the only memorable thing in that show, the plot never hooked me.
inimJun 12, 2019 7:27 PM

Jun 12, 2019 10:53 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
“All these shows are different in their own ways so it’s very immature for one to rank these shows.” - Yes I’m totally one of these people but for the sake of fun, I’ll just share my rankings using the shows that you’ve.

Without further ado, here goes:
Shield Hero << Danmachi = Spice & Wolf Season 2 < Spice & Wolf Season 1 = Made in Abyss < Youjo Senki < No Game No Life < Re:Zero.

Shield Hero easily (and by far) the worst whereas Re:Zero is the best out of the 7 for me. Shield Hero has been bland for me throughout and I’m not finding myself to like or even care about any of the Characters aside from Raphtalia, Filo, that Shopkeeper and Melty to a certain extent. I don’t like/despise all the other Characters (and don’t even get me started here 😪), including even Naofumi. Re:Zero is my favourite by quite a bit but I loved No Game No Life a lot too so I’ll just stick with ‘<‘ and not ‘<<‘ although it could well be the case. Also, I split Spice & Wolf (Ookami to Koushinryou) into Seasons 1 & 2 because I enjoyed the first season more than its sequel.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jun 12, 2019 11:41 PM
Jan 2019
tfw you post this in ShieldHero forum and look at the result. Nothing more to say xD
Jun 12, 2019 11:51 PM

Jul 2014
Re:Zero while no doubt entertaining, is also at the same time cringey because of Subaru, the MC himself while the opposite exists in Shield Hero.
Subaru is also driven by his crush for Emilia which ofc the story most of the time focuses on the MC getting the girl type where I have seen tons of story already do, only difference is Re:Zero is pretty dark with all of the deaths and re-do's happening.
Shield Hero on the other hand started with some fcked up allegations and mid way it became a redemption type of show with the story focusing on Nao redeeming himself, and later parts became the typical adventure isekai show with little to no romance because of reasons you will find out if you read the source , this is something I don't see much in an isekai show, although Raph does have a thing for him but Nao is oblivious to it so I give it a pass.
Danmachi is in a way also a story about Bell wanting to stand up on his own and impress his crush.
Haven't watched some of those in the list so I wont add them.
At least for me its
NGNL<<<Re:Zero<<DanMachi<Shield Hero<Spice&Wolf.
And as you can see, I'm a sucker for shonen adventure types so obviously I'd prefer Shield Hero who's more into the action pace and cool powers than Re:Zero's cringey shonen shoujo type of isekai, I simply cannot stand Subaru's obnoxious behaviour around everyone, and Roswaal's way of speaking pains me. I do like Emilia a lot tho, more than the girls in Shield Hero which is how I'm still able to watch Re:Zero and I also like the mystery surrounding Satella.
Jun 13, 2019 12:32 AM
Jan 2018
Raphtaliamal said:
Swizze said:

spice and wolf isnt an isekai its a fantasy
Jun 13, 2019 3:56 AM

Apr 2018
Shield Hero is one of the best isekai imo along with Re:Zero and Slime

Spice & Wolf and Made in Abyss are not isekai
Jun 13, 2019 5:16 AM
Jun 2019
killuaxgon said:
Shield Hero is one of the best isekai imo along with Re:Zero and Slime

Spice & Wolf and Made in Abyss are not isekai
Lol, the isekai anime is the same as carrying the fantasy genre, which is different only the theme of the storyline, where everyone is called into the game or virtual world, as well as spice and wolf are essentially the same about fantasy, this is not a story about the modern era or logical things, it's all the same about magic and the supernatural, that's isekai
Jun 13, 2019 5:38 AM
May 2019
As much as I like Shield

Slime is my favorite isekai, despite the second cour being butchered to a slow paced mess its still a lot more enjoyable than the shield anime production. So for me its

Slime, then konosuba, then youjo senki, then so im a spider so what, shield hero, then re zero.

Main reason I put re zero below shield is cause all the shock factor feels even more pointless than the shock factors done in shield hero for me
Jun 13, 2019 5:53 AM

Nov 2011
Shield Hero is like Goblin Slayer, the first episode is trying to be edgy while the rest are trash.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 15, 2019

219 by SanessyAdversary »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2019

236 by SanessyAdversary »»
Yesterday, 7:06 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 1, 2019

292 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 23, 8:46 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2019

270 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 23, 6:36 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 17, 2019

355 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 22, 9:49 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.