Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 30, 2019 6:57 PM

Apr 2016
At first, I thought this was a villainous trope, but apparently, some people claim that they'd be cool with a yandere girlfriend. What's so appealing about the idea of a yandere? Characters like Yuno Gasai or even Himiko Toga.

Is it just the appearance? The idea of someone being THAT devoted to their lover? Do these people just have a romanticized idea of a dangerous character? Or do people just find crazy attractive?

Why I was curious: So my friend sent me an article about a 21 year-old who got caught for stabbing a guy she "loved". When interrogated, she said that "she loved him SO much, she couldn't help it". She was planning to kill him and kill herself soon after. Her social media shows her cosplaying as popular yandere so people are calling her the "real-life yandere". The sad part was when I noticed people talking about how adorable she was, making fan arts of the police photos, even saying how she could "stab me anyday".
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 30, 2019 7:00 PM

Feb 2016
Those who loves Yandere only do because their logic is that "they will always be faithful to you"

Yanderes are not appealing, they are disgusting. Only someone mentally ill would like to have a Yandere girlfriend.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
May 30, 2019 7:01 PM

Mar 2019
Well the guys who are into the girl who stabbed her boyfriend are fucking idiots tbh. But I suppose idiots are made to be with other idiots.

A friend of mine said he tended to like the yandere type girls in anime. I don't know if that's what he's into irl but he told me it was basically the idea of a girl being extremely in love with you to the point that it literally drives her insane.

As for me though, I will stick to the sweet deredere/dandere type girls.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 30, 2019 7:07 PM

May 2019
I like yanderes because edgy characters are fun to watch. You never know what fucked up shit they'll do next.

However I'm not sexually attracted to them. I prefer my husbandos to cook me cookies.

May 30, 2019 7:09 PM

Dec 2015
It's basically what you said: romantization or, more common, a fetish. With yandere they don't shy away from the fanservice after all. Best example I can think of: Yuno's boobs.

As someone who has had a yandere married into the family once I can tell you that this isn't worth romanticizing at all. On the contrary, I'm glad he's out.
May 30, 2019 7:18 PM

Mar 2019
Everything in moderation — I doubt many are fine with actually being stabbed.

There is a general appreciation amongst the viewer it seems for unexpected contrasts; this seems to be exploited particularly often in Japanese media whereof I first took note that in Dragon Ball it seems like the author enjoys repeatedly to pull the idea that the smaller character is the stronger one or that the most innocent looking character is the most ferocious.

It seems like there are a lot of popular tropes that have these contrasting features:

• Very small, petite characters being extreme gluttons
  • Very small, petite characters being very strong
  • Very small, petite characters having a huge temper
  • Cute characters having a huge temper
  • Cute and innocent characters having murderous streaks
  • Young characters being very smart and wise
  • Sexually innocent characters being very well endowed in the secondary sex characteristic department
  • Sexually perverted characters being very lacking in the secondary sex characteristic department
  • Innocent looking characters hiding a very perverted side

Contrasts like these are very common and seem to be appealing to the fanbase.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
May 30, 2019 7:24 PM

Jan 2018
CHLO_JO007 said:
At first, I thought this was a villainous trope, but apparently, some people claim that they'd be cool with a yandere girlfriend. What's so appealing about the idea of a yandere? Characters like Yuno Gasai or even Himiko Toga.

Is it just the appearance? The idea of someone being THAT devoted to their lover? Do these people just have a romanticized idea of a dangerous character? Or do people just find crazy attractive?

Why I was curious: So my friend sent me an article about a 21 year-old who got caught for stabbing a guy she "loved". When interrogated, she said that "she loved him SO much, she couldn't help it". She was planning to kill him and kill herself soon after. Her social media shows her cosplaying as popular yandere so people are calling her the "real-life yandere". The sad part was when I noticed people talking about how adorable she was, making fan arts of the police photos, even saying how she could "stab me anyday".

Welp, you know what they say....

You can't spell 'psychotic' without 'hot'

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 30, 2019 7:30 PM

May 2014
Because some people are so desperate and insecure that they want clingy people to love them.
May 30, 2019 7:35 PM

Feb 2019
I guess some people love yandere because of their devotion to love someone, Having a partner who is willing to tear down any obstacle between you and them is something rare to find irl

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

May 30, 2019 7:40 PM

Jan 2009
ye its all fun until you get hurt lol

but personally as a real life psychotic (schizophrenic) the word yandere does not represent the majority of us which are asocial or even anti-social or simply loners
May 31, 2019 5:02 AM

Jan 2010
CHLO_JO007 said:

Uh Idk abt this people that seems to not know the line between fiction and reality.

I just generally loved the concept of "unordinary" or anything that is unusual or things that you can't normally find/explore irl.

I find yandere to be the most entertaining out of the dere tropes (at least the 1 dimensional one. At least a yandere have blood and gore and suspense and thrill).
It has nothing to do with whether I'm okay with having a psychotic lover or not.
May 31, 2019 5:54 AM
Feb 2017
Sphinxter said:

There is a general appreciation amongst the viewer it seems for unexpected contrasts; this seems to be exploited particularly often in Japanese media whereof I first took note that in Dragon Ball it seems like the author enjoys repeatedly to pull the idea that the smaller character is the stronger one or that the most innocent looking character is the most ferocious.

It seems like there are a lot of popular tropes that have these contrasting features:

• Sexually innocent characters being very well endowed in the secondary sex characteristic department
  • Sexually perverted characters being very lacking in the secondary sex characteristic department

Honestly I would question why people like Yanderes, but I'm a trashy Tsundere-loving guy so I'll just leave them be.
May 31, 2019 6:10 AM

Mar 2015
I guess I can understand people liking them in fiction since they might think they're interesting to watch or smth? idk Like the same way villains in media are pretty popular.

Now those people going all crazy over the Japanese girl are another matter. They probably don't understand that this is real life and an actually real innocent man got almost stabbed to death. Like that isn't some cartoon character it's an actual human being with family/other acquaintances whose life will now be changed forever. Like that girl was smiling while being arrested. Trust me if she was your gf for real you'd run away real quick (and then get probably stabbed).

Then again I'm not really surprised because people are actually fucked in the head. Just look at all those serial killers who have a shitton of fangirls and literally get tons of love letters while in prison.
May 31, 2019 6:22 AM

Feb 2010
I just hope those people get their wish of having her 'stab them one day'. Natural selection at its finest.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 31, 2019 6:30 AM

Feb 2019
People need to be educated about the hot-crazy scale

May 31, 2019 6:33 AM

Nov 2016
Maybe they're so desperate and wouldn't mind about the danger of getting killed, love solely devoted to them is all that matters :D

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 31, 2019 6:52 AM

Jul 2017
something about having this girl/guy that is so in-love with you that they will do literally anything legal or illegal just to be with you forever became kind of a fetish for me(actually no fuck it i just have a thing for characters who are crazy and clingy lol), so yeah i really like yanderes...IN FICTION ONLY!

i heard about this "real life yandere" from 'the anime man' and when i heard and saw(comments) of people saying "OMG real life yandere so kawaii pls stab me uwu" in a non-joking way, i pretty much had no hope for the anime community at this point, but to be honest the fact that people are actually romanticizing about a real life psychopath is no surprise, tumblr literally fantasizes about actual school shooters, basically humanity is fucked and im disappointed at anyone who thought the "real life yandere" was a "cute yandere waifu" and "wanted to stab by her in a toga cosplay uwu"
<3 "Nothing compares to Dark Enchantress Cookie's greatness!" <3
May 31, 2019 7:36 AM

Dec 2009
I only like Yandere in fiction because they are interesting characters but Who wants to be with someone psychotic tendencies? So Yandere supposed to be very devoted to the person they like and I guess thats rare in the real world maybe thats why some people like them so much.

Honestly I'm not surprised since tumblr exits ( people admire shooters, serial killers there and other messed up things)

P.S
I dont know if this is true but can someone can confirm? I heard that the guy who got stabbed, sadly died.... I hope that girl stays in prison for very long time....
JaemaeMay 31, 2019 8:11 AM
May 31, 2019 8:36 AM
Jul 2018
But I don't understand how the girl OP is talking about is a yandere. I thought a yandere would do anything to protect their lover, not hurt them?

Medialuna said:
I like yanderes because edgy characters are fun to watch. You never know what fucked up shit they'll do next.

Same. They're so entertaining! I especially love when you don't know a character is a yandere at first then it just happens.
May 31, 2019 8:40 AM

Dec 2017
Yanderes are fun only if you watch them from a third person perspective. Its a real pain to have a yandere girlfriend since they are always clingy and their mind is messed up.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

May 31, 2019 8:41 AM

Oct 2018
The appeal of yanderes in a nutshell for @Ipreferecchi eehee.~

サディスティックな考え
"JUST KILL ME."
サディスティックマインド
May 31, 2019 8:41 AM
Jul 2018
They are just desperate to have a hot girl clinging to them 24 hours. Yandere wouldn't be appealing at all if they were all ugly.
May 31, 2019 8:48 AM

Aug 2009
They're only fun if they end up killing people, give or take a nice boat.

Kotonoha Katsura is my daughter.

May 31, 2019 10:41 AM

Apr 2016
Melody2222 said:
But I don't understand how the girl OP is talking about is a yandere. I thought a yandere would do anything to protect their lover, not hurt them?

It's not uncommon for yandere to hurt the love interest. A yandere will hurt their interest if they believe that they can't stop other people from taking them away or "hurting them". So, if she can't have him in real-life, then she is willing to kill him, and then kill herself to be with him in the afterlife. That's what the girl I mentioned above tried to do. That's why is called "yandere" (yanderu for "to be sick").
May 31, 2019 12:56 PM
Jul 2018
CHLO_JO007 said:
Melody2222 said:

It's not uncommon for yandere to hurt the love interest. A yandere will hurt their interest if they believe that they can't stop other people from taking them away or "hurting them". So, if she can't have him in real-life, then she is willing to kill him, and then kill herself to be with him in the afterlife. That's what the girl I mentioned above tried to do. That's why is called "yandere" (yanderu for "to be sick").

Damn. Thanks for the explanation. Looks like I need to watch more anime with yanderes then! :p
May 31, 2019 1:05 PM

Jan 2013
What's not appealing with a girl being so obsessed with you that she's willing to kill people who get in the way of your relationship? Now there are some that will attack/kidnap the person they're in love with but in most cases I think you'd be fine as long as you didn't cheat on them or act like a complete asshole.

Yes the danger and unpredictability aspect can also be a turn on but a lot of those people might have been joking. Although if the girl is cute, she's cute. It doesn't matter what she did.
May 31, 2019 1:19 PM

Sep 2012
Let me just give the wisdom of ages again:

If you don't have the fetish X, you can't understand it.

Personally, I hate both yandere and tsundere characters because they are basically abusers however masochism is a thing so...
May 31, 2019 1:23 PM

May 2016
For me, it is definitely the always faithful aspect. Only in anime and manga tho. If I met a yandere in real life I would stay far away and want them to be locked up and/or get some help.
May 31, 2019 1:25 PM

Apr 2017
I don't quite get the appeal myself. I have found some yanderes mildly hot, most notably Kurumi in DAL (though that has more to do with her femdom aspect rather than yandere one). But beynd that I don't get it. On the other hand I also think that yandere should target other people that get too close rather than her lover. That at least makes some sense to enjoy, since the loved person themselves aren't in danger and can enjoy all the benefits that crazily love-struck person affords them (assuming they don't mind all the drawbacks, like ending up quite isolated). But in case where the loved person themselves are actually a target I really can't see any appeal at all. And when this crosses into the reality, and it leads to actual people being harmed, regardless of whether it's the loved one directly, or other people, it's disgusting in any form imo, and should not be in any way condoned.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
May 31, 2019 1:27 PM

Feb 2019
If we are talking real life... Some people think they would overlook everything if the girl is hot enough, but these people probably never actually met a girl like that. If they did, they probably wouldn't be saying those things. Now, if they are aware and even then still like psychotic women, that's... a thing, I guess, I won't be the one to kink shame. Some people are like that. Even Armin Meiwes found a person willing to be eaten, so everything is possible, I don't doubt anything anymore.

In regards to fiction yanderes, as far as deres go, they usually are the more morally and psychologically estimulating ones, so I can understand why some people like them so much.
May 31, 2019 1:32 PM
Jan 2012
People are attracted to yanderes BECAUSE they're not real, and because those consequences don't affect them. People romanticize the good parts of a yandere girlfriend and just ignore the bad. Also a lot of you guys don't know the difference between "soft and loving", and "clingy"
May 31, 2019 2:08 PM
a car

Jun 2017
Like anything, I only enjoy yandere if executed well. My main problem with it is that Yuno is widely considered to be the de facto yandere even though I personally found her underwhelming.

I recommend the manga Konya wa Tsuki ga Kirei desu ga Toriaezu Shine if you want to see a fresh and well-executed take on the yandere trope.

May 31, 2019 2:22 PM

May 2017
Yeah like what wrong with wanting someone to stab you

At least you don't need to do it yourself
May 31, 2019 2:57 PM
Jul 2018
"The idea of someone being THAT devoted to their lover?"

Insane characters are more extreme and exaggerated, so to me, they are just more fun to watch. However, there is, indeed a romantic albeit, messed up idea. I don't think it would be controversial to define love as someone who would do anything for their love. This is where yanderes come in as they no doubt would do anything for their love yet since this is anime it's taken to an insane extreme. Strong devotion, is at least in my opinion what defines love, therefore, is desirable and people who like yanderes are into that idea. Not particularly being stabbed or having their family killed like some of the posts on here defined.

The appeal of yanderes is that they are insane which makes them as an anime character, entertaining as that level of devotion is interesting to explore.
May 31, 2019 3:08 PM

Mar 2019
BlakexEkalb said:
Sphinxter said:

Honestly I would question why people like Yanderes, but I'm a trashy Tsundere-loving guy so I'll just leave them be.
To suffer physical assault opposed to being stabbed isn't that far off.

Many of these comical physical assault moment the tundere is so fond to inflict upon the object of his love would be lethal in real life.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
May 31, 2019 5:40 PM
Jul 2018
None. They're all cancer and should all be gassed.
May 31, 2019 5:51 PM
Jul 2018
As a fan of yandere (fictional, not real life), I can say it's all of the reasons you mentioned. Guys like me who've never had a girlfriend, desperately fantasize of one who absolutely loves us unconditionally. The crazy expression yanderes have give them a female-dominance edge which is fucking hot. I mean, just look at this expression, and don't tell me it's not hot:

Still, like you, I don't understand how anyone can consider a yandere waifu material. Are they hot as fuck? Yes. Are they waifu material? Of course not. Nobody wants a waifu who'd actually be willing to murder them or someone else.

Oh yeah, I learned of that incident from The Anime Man. My faith in humanity has declined even more after learning of people online saying that the crazy girl was "hot".
May 31, 2019 5:54 PM

Dec 2014
The same appeal as skydiving and driving over 300 KMPH, if death is on every corner, Adrenalin keeps pumping.
May 31, 2019 5:56 PM

Oct 2011
CHLO_JO007 said:

it was disgusting when i read this. iconising her into fan arts. yikes.
I honestly don't know the appeal. People that like yandere, in non fiction, are weirdos
May 31, 2019 6:07 PM

Jul 2014
It's literally a "its all fun and games till it actually happens to you"
anime yandere's are in a way adorable, its cute cause at the end of the day its a mere character, that real life incident that happened recently is in no way adorable or admirable, that woman and the people saying this is cute shit needs to get themselves into rehab.
May 31, 2019 8:17 PM
Feb 2017
Sphinxter said:
BlakexEkalb said:

To suffer physical assault opposed to being stabbed isn't that far off.

Many of these comical physical assault moment the tundere is so fond to inflict upon the object of his love would be lethal in real life.

I think what draws me more towards the Tsunderes are the ones that develop their feelings overtime and learn to accept them. I'm also a guy who likes those who can have a tough side, but at the same time be kind.
May 31, 2019 8:23 PM

Mar 2013
Yandere looks like Gasai Yuno f
from Mirai Nikki. A split personality when it comes to his love. A crazy inlove woman. A yandere are wise lovable, fighter and scary.
May 31, 2019 8:24 PM
Mar 2018
Guys that are into yanderes are similar to those people who play with bombs or fire, yanderes are dangerous, although I bet most of these people wouldnt want a yandere girlfriend irl tho lol , unless they are insane or something

I'm into Tsunderes(the ones who just scold and not assault or anything , Makise Kurisu is a good example) , Danderes , Kuderes, anything but yanderes lol
ccbestgirl1411May 31, 2019 8:32 PM
May 31, 2019 8:59 PM

Apr 2018
I was legitimately thinking about posting this exact same question. I literally don't understand the appeal considering it's completely superficial.

I don't like them as anime characters to begin with. Yeah, it's awesome to have someone devoted to you, but willing to kill someone who happens to breathe the same air while standing next to you? That's when it turns into psychotic obsession.

It isn't cute or hot, it's disturbing. She can be super attractive, but if she's one breakdown away from killing your friends and family, then you better run for the hills.

This is why I hated Yuki. His willingness to consistently forgive Yuno after every horrifying thing she did baffled me.
May 31, 2019 9:02 PM

Sep 2012
who wouldn't want someone obsessed with them?

Oh maybe, maybe it's the clothes we wear
The tasteless bracelets and the dye in our hair
Or maybe, maybe it's our nowhere towns or our nothing places
But we're trash, you and me
We're the litter on the breeze
We're the lovers on the streets
Just trash, me and you
It's in everything we do
It's in everything we do

May 31, 2019 9:22 PM

Jul 2016
Lila said:
The appeal of yanderes in a nutshell for @Ipreferecchi eehee.~

Natsuko from Ousama Game The Animation is an instant dicking.

IpreferEcchiMay 31, 2019 9:25 PM
Jun 1, 2019 4:26 AM

Oct 2008
They are easy to manipulate, it's not that hard to see the appeal of a beautiful, deranged and love sick girl which is even willing to kill for you or eat your s**t, as long as it makes you happy.

Plus all you have to do is be faithful and instead of having female acquaintances, you just focus on games, films and other hobbies.

If she doesn't like your male friends you just spend more time with her, maybe make her a kid, so she doesn't feel insecure and hang out with your friends not as often. Also if you are with her and your friends, just praise her in front of them (brag about her), that also helps.
Jun 1, 2019 4:53 AM

Feb 2018
Nothing is appealing about yanderes.
Jun 1, 2019 7:14 AM

Aug 2016
Unless you're a pre-teen edgelord who would still probably be scared of an actual real-life yandere, there's no appeal at all.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Jun 1, 2019 11:02 AM

Dec 2016
They sound great at first... A beautiful girl who would do anything for you and will love you no matter what?

However, if you look closer, that turns out to be completely false. Yanderes are selfish and only care about themselves, which is evidenced by how they harm other people close to their object of obsession and repeatedly act in ways that the MC dislikes and explicitly tells them not to. If she really loved you, she wouldn't be blatantly disregarding everyone else you love and all your other feelings. They don't actually care about you and yeah they are pretty much villains.

What's the difference?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

85 by maya2003s »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 8 hours ago

27 by shiro-seishun »»
4 minutes ago

» Skibidi toilet piece part 2 (the sequel)

Cyborgium - 3 hours ago

4 by Daviljoe193 »»
7 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

222 by Shizuna »»
13 minutes ago

» Do you consider the opening(s) and ending(s) when rating an anime? ( 1 2 )

Hacker075 - Mar 15

61 by maya2003s »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.