Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 3, 2019 10:59 PM
Aug 2011
lezerman said:
Jesus chirst people, don't like then drop it, no need to come here every week complaining about how you don't get this and blablabla.

Believe it or not some people still have an utterly ridiculous no-drop policy.
May 3, 2019 11:03 PM

Mar 2009
JGordonson said:
Kuji was already my favorite character and this episode only cemented it. Not even surprised by that post-credit scene honestly considering the way Kazuki has interacted with his little brother this whole time. The crossdressing act seems more like an obligation at this point than it does some kind of passion.

ShadowMega said:
Tooi could sympathize more with Enta with their chemistry of wanting to get closer to a person but the other is oblivious to their emotions.

Kuji's older brother doesn't come off as being oblivious to his desire to come be next to him at all to me; he's purposely keeping him at arm's length because he already unwillingly let his younger brother fall into a life of fairly mild crime (I could barely know anyone around my age that HASN'T sold weed in some capacity and killing someone obviously isn't mild but if that hasn't had any legal recourse yet then it likely never will so it practically never happened) and is trying to keep him away from getting any deeper.

I feel like Big Bro's text to reschedule their reunion is some foreshadowing that shit hitting the fan for him.

I do want to note that being involved with weed in Japan is much much much more severe. There is huge repercussions for being involved with weed, and it's not common culturally at all for people to dabble with it.

Tooi's weed is actually the most shocking thing they got away with showing in this series so far. Not because it's uncommon for us in western countries, but because the repercussions are so severe in Japan and weed being shown on tv is so unlikely. When people were talking about being surprised Sarazanmai got away with showing certain things, the drugs were number one on the list. Even possession gets you into some major trouble.
May 3, 2019 11:08 PM

Jan 2017
Claptrap said:

I do want to note that being involved with weed in Japan is much much much more severe. There is huge repercussions for being involved with weed, and it's not common culturally at all for people to dabble with it.

Tooi's weed is actually the most shocking thing they got away with showing in this series so far. Not because it's uncommon for us in western countries, but because the repercussions are so severe in Japan and weed being shown on tv is so unlikely. When people were talking about being surprised Sarazanmai got away with showing certain things, the drugs were number one on the list. Even possession gets you into some major trouble.

I'm aware of the perception of it there, but it did slip my mind that selling/possessing/growing would considered more severe of a crime than things I would rank above it due to the jail times associated with them here in the US. Thanks for the clarification.
Mendokusai
May 3, 2019 11:52 PM

Mar 2009
@JGordonson
No problem, it's easy to forget because as time goes by it becomes a much bigger cultural divide... Where I live weed is even legalized recreationally so sometimes even remembering can be a big surprise.

(That said, I think you're completely right that Tooi's brother keeps him away for his own safety and should clarify that. Really liked your post as far as their relationship, I think it's spot on and I'm curious about the reunion shift too.)
May 3, 2019 11:54 PM

Nov 2018
The OST, damn.
Last scene was confusing, i think they're going with the kazuki x kuji ship
May 4, 2019 7:58 AM

Jun 2013
Despite being his flaws and his hideous dark undereye circles, Kuji is my favorite as a human and Enta is my favorite as a kappa because of his glasses. Kazuki.... well I don't know.

I like how we finally got to see Kuji's past and his life with his brother. It was kind of obvious, before they showed it, that he shot someone because of that scene where his brother put the gun in the drawer and him knowing where it was. It was bound to happen.

As much as the cop characters are nice, for some reason, their song and dance number kind of bores me. The kappa trio at least have some variation.

Also that ending where Kazuki says he hates Haruka. I'm sure he'll take back his words or some shit like that lol
臭い-
May 4, 2019 8:14 AM
Jul 2018
I’ve loved this episode and wanted to watch it again as soon as it finished.

The moment when Chikai took the gun from Toi is a tearjerker.

“I’ve gone so far for him already, I can’t leave him now, what would that say about me otherwise?” - I hope Chikai will remain a “good” brother so Toi never has to think that.

Kazuki admitting his hate towards Haruka… Enta idealizes Kazuki so he is blind to it, but I do think Kazuki is the most “rotten”, or “away from his real self” of the cast. This is my intuition speaking, but he gives me the vibe of someone who used to live superficially and thought nothing of it before something serious made him realize how pointless he is (Haruka’s illness/disability). Now he’s bitter and refuses to change his ways, because of how stubborn he is. He’s just covering shit with shit that he thinks looks nicer and hoping it’ll work out. I mean, kidnapping Sara?? “Of course reality will bend to my will and do what I want 😊” HOW STUBBORN. The lack of vision. I like Kazuki as much as he gets on my nerves. At least, I am glad he offered his silver plate to Toi after recognizing the genuiness of his brotherly affection. There is hope for my son.

I was shocked by his admission, but not by the fact that he hates Haruka. Kazuki has never been shown loving his brother, on the contrary we’ve seen how cold he is to him. Kazuki being obsessed with the Sara-act while shunning Haruka reeked of selfish interest from the start. Especially when we have Toi acting as a foil: we were shown scenes of him looking up to his brother, speaking to him in a tone he’s never used with the other main 2 boys… The differences in “””love””” are on display.
May 4, 2019 1:01 PM

Mar 2012
i love ikuhara's works but i didn't get into sarazanmai as i thought i would. it's probably because i didn't like the elements he chose to tell his story this time.
and i don't know, but i feel there's a lot less real story in each episode. maybe it's because i'm not invested in it as i was in his previous works, but i feel that aside from the battles we don't get that much of information like we got on his other works.
maybe this is going to be my least favorite series from him, but i'll keep watching because i'm still curious to see where this is all going anyway.
May 4, 2019 3:53 PM
Jan 2016
Enta is getting really annoying despite i think last episode both Kazuki and Toi kept they mouth shut out of respect. However shit Enta says is just annoying, his obsession with Kazuki is within an unhealthy amount which is maybe the point however its annoying to see.

Toi backstory makes sense, i like how he's past was more so structured, more so see his perspective and not in full detail as it based on his memories.

Honestly be cooler if they did how Only Yesterday did it that flashbacks environment is more washed out or can't clearly define items around the place as he looking in a character perspective on her childhood so she remembers the key moment but not the entire thing.

But still done effectively, after this episode it going to the first episode done by MAPPA and probably a different crew so the animation and maybe directing will maybe take a hit.
May 4, 2019 6:47 PM

Oct 2008
Ikuhara has done it again! another fabulous episode!
so this time, it's all about soba, guns and protecting your little brother as you take the blame for it.
why does cross-dresser dude hate Haruka?!?
5/5.

May 5, 2019 5:09 AM

May 2016
So it looks like Kazuki might just be using his brother as an excuse to cross-dress... There's definitely a strong theme here about the importance of being honest with yourself as well in order to be able to truly connect with another. I'm thinking Kazuki just isn't prepared to admit to himself his passion in expressing himself in that way, Enta isn't prepared to admit to himself that Kazuki just doesn't feel the same way as he does, and as for Toi... I think it might be that he just isn't prepared to admit to himself that his older brother's not the perfect being he's set him as, and reinforced his world view with. That his way of life isn't ideal or right. Perhaps, I think, there may be a twist with his brother having some blame in what happened to their parents.

I'm really, really loving the writing of this show. And the direction. And the music. And especially the characters. Right now this is AOS for me, and the ED definitely has my vote for the best. Those who are calling this vain, or lacking focus or meaning, I think just can't be bothered to give it the time of thought... The themes and symbolism really aren't hard to decipher. This show is pretty upfront about them, from that ending text that always directly states their feelings, to the always kept shut-and-close boxes the protags carry (their emotional baggage and secrets), to the multiple enemies they've faced (who are always examples of people who never learnt to open their "boxes", and became shameful and desperate as that toxic decision to repress a part of oneself manifests itself in awful ways). There's a very clear point about the importance in one's life of connecting with others, and the importance honesty plays in that--both with yourself and those you care about. And the show does make an even clearer point about how our protagonists aren't doing this right now, and are really struggling and unhappy. Kazuki with his brother, Enta with Kazuki, and Toi with his older brother. All very clear case studies of this theme.
ZaugrMay 5, 2019 8:08 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 5, 2019 5:38 AM

Mar 2008
God this show is so, SO fucking good. Literally a 10/10 episode.

A lot of the 'soba' puns were hard to translate. And to some extent, same with the kiss/Keith/sillago ones last episode too. Props to Asenshi for doing a great job doing the best they could there.
May 5, 2019 9:08 PM

Feb 2019
Lmao Kujii felling i love with kazuki as azuma sara

BABY KAZUKI IS FREAKING ADORABLE but wow didnt expect him to say his brother was the better one off dead

I think i understand his brother's feeling tho, he was probably depressed because his parents died with a bad name, and pressured with the responsibility of taking of his little brother so much that he decides to do bad things. I already liked him alot

I will never get tired with police tho, that pose was fabulous asf.

KAZUKI SHOOTED A GUY WHEN HE WAS SO LITTLE WTF
May 6, 2019 1:57 AM

Mar 2008
Zaugr said:
Kazuki with his brother, Enta with Kazuki, and Toi with his older brother. All very clear case studies of this theme.

Those are the pairs shown in the OP as well… ;) Also Reo and Mabu, but we've yet to get that far.
May 6, 2019 2:56 PM

Oct 2012
The play with the word "soba" was amazing. Soba, as in the plate, and "soba ni iru/soba ni inai" (to be there/not to be there). I just love Ikuhara so much.

We finally got to see Toi's past after all. He has his reasons for loving his brother so much. Can we judge him for being "evil" (drug dealer/killing a bad person)? Ikuhara is asking us to question what we call morality.

My baby boys Mabu and Reo are getting more screentime in the next episode! We'll also get to see Sara in person. I'm so excited.

What's with that "I hate Haruka"? Omg.
May 6, 2019 8:22 PM
Apr 2018
Kurosawa-san said:
Cops dance does not become any less enjoyable no matter how many times I’m watching it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS.
May 8, 2019 5:17 PM

Aug 2017
So, Kazuki hates his brother and Toi has a dark past. Nice.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 9, 2019 9:12 AM

Apr 2016
This show is super sentai if it was made by a jewish man contracting with the devil.

I like it but 6 minutes of every episode are the same thing, the otter dance the anal sequence and then the running sequence. The animation is really so good though.
May 19, 2019 1:54 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
The best episode so far, it was so dark and yet retained the same feel of randomness, as usual, I wonder what happened to Kazuki's brother meeting that idol.
Such a caring brother Toi had, even if it wasn't apparent o the surface, it describes the situation this show is having pretty well. I was not expecting that twist at the end where Kazuki says he hates his brother.
Making Soba with used bathing water that you stole, how weird can it get? They are pushing towards a new limit.
May 22, 2019 6:22 AM
May 2019
[/quote]
Mika-taicho said:
God i know he is like 14 but Kazuki is such a dumb piece of shit lmfao You should be the one going with your brother to that event not Enta and you just made a dumb fucking plan cause u are scared ur lie will be exposed, get a grip dude, Haruka just wants his brother back. Also I guess he will never stop ignoring Enta damn my heart bleeds for the boy cause he at least deserves to be treated like a friend. Tbh Toi and Enta's interactions were actually quite deep and intense this ep I wish we saw more of that instead of KazuToi pairing up for everything lol Idk it might be my bias tho cause i find them more interesting and im rly being meh abt Kazuki recently.

Dude, you don't understand about him and the suffering he endured. He is an adopted son from the start so he has lost his own identity. Maybe if i'm in the same position with Kazuki i will do the same like him. Everyone has the flaws and the pasts. He is the main character so far. Hope the next episodes you will understand him
May 22, 2019 6:35 AM
Jul 2013
ephaporia said:
Mika-taicho said:
God i know he is like 14 but Kazuki is such a dumb piece of shit lmfao You should be the one going with your brother to that event not Enta and you just made a dumb fucking plan cause u are scared ur lie will be exposed, get a grip dude, Haruka just wants his brother back. Also I guess he will never stop ignoring Enta damn my heart bleeds for the boy cause he at least deserves to be treated like a friend. Tbh Toi and Enta's interactions were actually quite deep and intense this ep I wish we saw more of that instead of KazuToi pairing up for everything lol Idk it might be my bias tho cause i find them more interesting and im rly being meh abt Kazuki recently.

Dude, you don't understand about him and the suffering he endured. He is an adopted son from the start so he has lost his own identity. Maybe if i'm in the same position with Kazuki i will do the same like him. Everyone has the flaws and the pasts. He is the main character so far. Hope the next episodes you will understand him[/quote]

Man of course i didnt understand it fully bc i wrote it after ep 4??????? But still his complete disregard for Enta's feelings was still shitty regardless of what happened.
May 22, 2019 6:59 AM
May 2019
Mika-taicho said:
ephaporia said:
Mika-taicho said:

Dude, you don't understand about him and the suffering he endured. He is an adopted son from the start so he has lost his own identity. Maybe if i'm in the same position with Kazuki i will do the same like him. Everyone has the flaws and the pasts. He is the main character so far. Hope the next episodes you will understand him

Man of course i didnt understand it fully bc i wrote it after ep 4??????? But still his complete disregard for Enta's feelings was still shitty regardless of what happened.[/quote]
For me it isn't only Kazuki's fault, it's also Enta's fault for only wants Kazuki happy just for himself example like his wild imagination that he wishes that Kazuki can play soccer again but he didn't get point of what Kazuki out. As his friend, he should explores more far about Kazuki's problem so he can get the point and then understand him and help him.
Besides, his anger toward Toi for mocking Kazuki in ep 1 and declared by himself that he and Kazuki are closed each other which annoys Kazuki so much. So that's why Kazuki choose to close with Toi instead of Enta besides of the same fate and same brother complex.
May 22, 2019 7:05 AM
Jul 2013
ephaporia said:
Mika-taicho said:

Man of course i didnt understand it fully bc i wrote it after ep 4??????? But still his complete disregard for Enta's feelings was still shitty regardless of what happened.

For me it isn't only Kazuki's fault, it's also Enta's fault for only wants Kazuki happy just for himself example like his wild imagination that he wishes that Kazuki can play soccer again but he didn't get point of what Kazuki out. As his friend, he should explores more far about Kazuki's problem so he can get the point and then understand him and help him.
Besides, his anger toward Toi for mocking Kazuki in ep 1 and declared by himself that he and Kazuki are closed each other which annoys Kazuki so much. So that's why Kazuki choose to close with Toi instead of Enta besides of the same fate and same brother complex.[/quote]

This is not what annoyed Kazuki but ok. This is also not why he chose to be "close" with Toi. And tbh he Just used him for his plan?? And also this is not Enta's fault when Kazuki said "the Club made you do it on a dare". Still, im not gonna fight abt it bc its pointless when we are past all that and Kazuki is doing fine now.
May 22, 2019 5:03 PM
Apr 2016
Mika-taicho said:
ephaporia said:
Mika-taicho said:

Hey, Spoilers dude. THis is the ep 4 thread and I think you should spoiler tag it.
May 26, 2019 6:15 PM

May 2010
lezerman said:
Jesus chirst people, don't like then drop it, no need to come here every week complaining about how you don't get this and blablabla.

I dunno, this is a series worth watching even if you don't like it. I'm on the fence, but even if I decide that I don't like it I still want to have watched it.

papsoshea said:
Tsukizono said:
It's fine if you don't enjoy it, but it's definitely not "shit". The butt stuff isn't even sexual, it's very heavily stylised, I don't see any fetishisation anywhere. Ikuhara likes to create morally grey characters, and I think Toi is quite a sympathetic character. Although Kazuki can come up as unlikable, his motivations are a mystery and I am intrigued to find out more about him. The reusing animation comes from magical girl shows where reusing animation is quite common, and becuase this is a magical boy show it's not a big deal if it reuses animation?

Of course you don't. It's so clear - disgusting and gratuitous. Just knowing that this is a self-indulgent director speaks for itself. Ikuhara clearly likes telling the same sort of story and the same sort of characters. It would be fine if this was a series with sequels because that would be the series shtick but he's doing this with all different shows with different stories and characters, and already it has grown tiresome at episode 4. The excuse of reusing animation is just stupid, just because its a staple in Mahou Shoujo doesn't mean he has to use it in everything (which he obviously does). If there is suppose to be some big meaning behind this there how many times must it be jammed into our heads, like, I get it now. From everything I've heard about Ikuhara the past month, especially from his fans, Sarazanmai is already showing all of his trademarks – self-indulgence, and lack of narrative focus.

I kinda agree. Revolutionary Girl Utena is a top 5 for me, so this isn't coming from a hater's perspective. Ikuhara definitely loves telling the same type of story over and over again, and it's starting to make me feel like he's limited as a director. He started off taking the Sailor Moon formula and putting an amazing postmodern spin on it, making him seem absolutely brilliant as a director. Since then, it's been the same formula with only slightly different spins. The repeated animations in Utena were almost like a spiral into mayhem, they definitely had meaning and added something to the story. Since then, it seems like the form has replaced the function, like he's just riffing on an idea he had over a decade ago.

MahouShoujoLain said:
Sorry for the long ramble! I just can't agree with the assessment that this show has a "lack of narrative focus". To me, the show doesn't waste a minute of its time on anything that isn't central to the narrative.

As for self indulgence, well, an auteur is only an auteur because you can identify components in their work that makes it distinctly theirs. At the end of the day, we've seen every story there is to tell: A romance is a romance—boy meets boy, and falls in love; girl meets girl and falls in love; boy meets girl and falls in love; etc! A fantasy tale is a fantasy tale—magic exists and can be cast; monsters exist and are invading human society; vampires, ghosts, wolves, fairies, and so on. It's the style and approach to how we tell these ever-occurring stories, that makes reading/watching/playing books/shows/games endlessly fun.

And Ikuhara? Man, the guys got a really fascinating style. As I said at the beginning, I've never seen his stuff. But boy, am I excited to see some more after this, because I think his style is so much fun! Of course, it's always a matter of personal taste whether you like someone's style or not. I just don't think it's "self-indulgent" to palpably have a style.

I also agree with this. Ikuhara is definitely self-indulgent, but his self-indulgence is also definitely really fascinating. If this is your first Ikuhara show, I totally understand being intrigued and hyped about all the interesting symbolism, carefully constructed plot, etc. I can't complain about his style, I can only complain that he seems to be limited by his style, and that complaint only matters once you've seem several of his shows. I'm not even sure what I'm complaining about, since this is clearly one of the best anime to come out recently. I guess I just had higher hopes for the director and he's seemed unfortunately less-than-godlike ever since Lesbian Bear Storm.
“Money can't buy dere”
May 30, 2019 8:19 PM

Aug 2017
Tsukizono said:
El_Caguai said:
without lesbians this is not fun :(

Why are you still watching this then? Both wlw and mlm rep is good. Don't fetishize lesbians, that's gross.

Lesbians are hot tho
"Whether doing good or evil, I will be the boss."

Jun 19, 2019 2:00 PM

Jul 2016
Wait, Kazuki, what the hell?
That last sentence had me really confused but definitely more interested in the next episode. I wonder why he would hate his little brother...

And on a side note, I usually would complain about the re-used animation but those dance sequences are far too great to be just skipped. xD

Anyways, it was another nice episode.
Jun 20, 2019 12:12 PM
Mar 2018
I have been waiting for Tooi's story and I am happy with how it turned out. I loved the episode.
Jul 20, 2019 1:45 AM

Jul 2015
In my opinion Kuji got the most interesting past, his brother is pretty cool despite going on the bad path

I'm curious whats really going on between Kazuki and Haruka

Apr 25, 2020 3:51 PM

Aug 2017
Oh my, that look on Tooi's face when Kazuki was drinking soba. Is there a new feeling inside him?

Overall, another great episode. I absolutely love Tooi's backstory, it's obviously the most "heavy" of the trio. The wordplay between soba and the brothers' names is also cool. The ending shots were GLORIOUS. That cucumber got sliced in pieces really fast haha.

I'm excited to know what's going to happen next, especially about Kazuki's true feeling about Haruka (does he see him as a burden?). It also seems that we'll get to see Reo and Mabu acting really soon!

This episode also colcluded the introductory arcs for the main characters, I guess. There's still content left to be seen, sure (like Sara's kidnapping, which supposedly will reveal more info about her), but at least we know the basic backstories of our main characters. Ikuhara really succeeded in establishing a clear story structure (well, he has never failed at that). However, surprising changes are to be expected! Nothing will go on the same for too long.
St0rmbladeApr 25, 2020 3:56 PM
Oct 7, 2020 7:32 PM
Jul 2018
1#: I LOVE THIS EPISODE

2#: Pretty shocked about Kazuki's revelation after ending/final credits - He HATES his brother? Perhaps that speech by Toi about not giving a damn about morality and what other people think of him opened Kazuki's mind towards Haruka...

3 #: Is it just an impression or is there a chemistry going on between the two?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sarazanmai Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2019

314 by Zam2202 »»
Dec 22, 2023 4:15 AM

Poll: » Sarazanmai Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 18, 2019

186 by thegoishady »»
Aug 7, 2023 7:02 AM

Poll: » Sarazanmai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2019

140 by 3miL »»
Apr 29, 2023 10:06 PM

Poll: » Sarazanmai Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 6, 2019

70 by nifetiseBOY »»
Feb 11, 2023 5:02 AM

» Is this tagged as yaoi?

FragileGlass - May 6, 2019

12 by Teirayo »»
Feb 25, 2022 3:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.