Forum Settings
Forums

Sri Lanka Easter bombings: Mass casualties in churches and hotels

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 22, 2019 5:33 AM

Jul 2015
Deathko said:
@Railey2 Interesting, I didn't interpret it as peope being desensitized to terrorists attacks myself but rather people being desentisized to human deaths in general. The average person seems to care less about flood, pollution or car traffic victims than about that cat thrown into a grabage bin by a brit woman some years ago.

Now we'll just need to ask Elderanime
that's a possible interpretation, but I'd say it's unlikely.

The average person doesn't usually respond to a terroristic attack by thinking "these victims get so much attention, but what about victims of generic accidents?"
Not to say that that isn't valid reasoning, and it certainly sounds like something I've thought before, but yeah. Usually you go "oh no, not another one! So sad!", which would naturally lead you to my interpretation.

We can bet on it if you want :b
But it's hardly important and we're spamming the thread.

Just so I contributed something to the thread, I'll state that the official number of victims is now approaching 300. That makes this one of the worst coordinated acts of terrorism of all time.
"my life at this state could be transposed into a pretty massive biography"

- Cneq, "the guy who was literally using BTC in 2012 to make deals in the first main instance of a digital itemized economy forming naturally in all human history (also the precursor of NFTs) and who had 20k+ total trades.", 23 years old

MAL's most prolific antivaxxer, Noboru.
Apr 22, 2019 6:43 AM

Nov 2009
Deathko said:
@Railey2 Interesting, I didn't interpret it as peope being desensitized to terrorists attacks myself but rather people being desentisized to human deaths in general. The average person seems to care less about flood, pollution or car traffic victims than about that cat thrown into a grabage bin by a brit woman some years ago.

Now we'll just need to ask Elderanime

I think it's more likely 90% of this thread and people who read the news don't even know where Sri Lanka is located.

Let's be real, we take violence in third world countries as something that happens and can't be avoided, while we don't apply the same standards to first world countries for obvious reasons.
Apr 22, 2019 7:23 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
As if almost three decades of civil war weren't enough suffering for this country, absolutely disgusting.

Bernrika said:

I think it's more likely 90% of this thread and people who read the news don't even know where Sri Lanka is located.

Let's be real, we take violence in third world countries as something that happens and can't be avoided, while we don't apply the same standards to first world countries for obvious reasons.

Chill, it's Sri Lanka, not Djibouti. Also I don't know if it really falls into the "3rd world country" category. 4000+$ gdp per capita which is considered middle income and most citizens are educated.
Apr 22, 2019 8:34 AM

Mar 2012
149597871 said:
Chill, it's Sri Lanka, not Djibouti. Also I don't know if it really falls into the "3rd world country" category. 4000+$ gdp per capita which is considered middle income and most citizens are educated.
Yeah, and the Sri Lankan diaspora have a presence in a number of Western countries. So I don't think that Sri Lanka is completely unknown in the West, though I suppose you can never underestimate how little people know.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Apr 22, 2019 9:42 AM

Nov 2016
Crazy people out there, don't take life for granted. RIP
Apr 22, 2019 11:27 AM

Nov 2009
149597871 said:
As if almost three decades of civil war weren't enough suffering for this country, absolutely disgusting.

Bernrika said:

Isn't the country recent history really messed up?

Still, we are talking about an Asian country. It's really removed from most people lives - I bet most people don't know where it's located.
Apr 22, 2019 3:07 PM

Dec 2008
It's like with the 20th anniversary of the Columbine shootings, nobody care-it's just a routine thing.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Apr 23, 2019 2:20 AM

Mar 2015
so here is what we know

It was done by National Thowheed Jamaath which is on it's own already a split group of Sri Lanka Thowheed Jamaath, anther more conservative islamist spectrum movement. this split happened during 2016 when SLTJ doing clean up when some of it's member caught vandalizing Buddhist statue. they deem those people are too radical for their ideology. you know something are terribly wrong when an already extreme group called them too extreme.

there is strong indication of outsiders involvement because numbers of reason
> NTJ is very small, also they have no access to those explosive substance on it's own on that level of destruction.
> The target is Christians, which is weird in srilanka since in there, both are working together against oppression of buddhist majority back in the civil war era. attacking buddhist is more logical if it's local terrorist, since clash between muslim and buddhist happened as late as 2015. it's more like attack on western symbol than attack on Sri Lanka christian it self. also for more context, muslim and christian was used during colonial era as buffer class between western colonialist elite and common Buddhist majority. this created specific group being wealthier than the rest of nation, created social resentment.
>speaking of wealth, the preparator that has been revealed is coming from middle upper class family, so economic reason is declassified already.

there is also clear government negligence. the group has been reported by fellow muslim organization for years, but the government never doing something. the intelligence has reported their suspicious activity 10 days before attack but it get ignored by police. also police doing very few to guarding those people despite those alert. maybe how recent they have massive civil war make them not considering such tiny organisation can organize that amount of destruction.

also the number of victim increase into 310.
KumaApr 23, 2019 3:53 AM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 23, 2019 7:00 AM
Oct 2018
The Sri Lankan government was informed beforehand that major churches were going yo be targeted. Either the Sri Lankan government has a hand in this, or they are beyond incompetent.
Apr 23, 2019 7:41 AM

Dec 2018
So yeah, ISIS has just claimed responsibility. I can't Imagine this boding well for the 1.3 million muslims in Sri Lanka. A lot of countries in that part of the world tend to clamp down pretty hard on them for something like this happening.

I'm afraid an even greater massacre is coming.
Apr 23, 2019 11:38 AM
Jul 2018
Truly an unfortunate event. Hopefully this will teach more and more people that religion is farce.
Apr 23, 2019 11:50 AM

Mar 2011
Yeah, cause religion is going around killing people--just like guns. "eyeroll* Get into reality, it sucks but its here for you anyways.

Interesting enough, it will most likely be the same element to bring peace to the survivors and country.
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Apr 23, 2019 1:47 PM

Mar 2015
Doug_Dugle said:
So yeah, ISIS has just claimed responsibility. I can't Imagine this boding well for the 1.3 million muslims in Sri Lanka. A lot of countries in that part of the world tend to clamp down pretty hard on them for something like this happening.

very unlikely, since the one attacked is not Buddhist majority. however, this is still huge blow to other muslim organitation in sri lanka definitely. not to mention even they are had been expelled, they still used to be part of one of biggest muslim organitation in region. not to mention other muslim organitationeven what they split to has been cooperative with government and even doing first hand aid to the victim.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Apr 23, 2019 3:44 PM

Oct 2015
Kuma said:
Doug_Dugle said:

very unlikely, since the one attacked is not Buddhist majority. however, this is still huge blow to other muslim organitation in sri lanka definitely. not to mention even they are had been expelled, they still used to be part of one of biggest muslim organitation in region. not to mention other muslim organitationeven what they split to has been cooperative with government and even doing first hand aid to the victim.

ISIS just claimed responsibility for the attack. They said they wanted to target western foreigners and Christians. The death tole is now 306
Apr 23, 2019 4:27 PM

Mar 2008
@Doug_Dugle@Nightmare21st
They just about always claim responsibility even if they weren't involved. It's only way they can keep relevant lol
Apr 23, 2019 5:17 PM

Jan 2019
I'm sure the Congressional hearing on banning Islam and anti-Christian sentiments will be happening any day now.

Oh, US politicians are just saying this is an attack on "Easter Worshipers" and the problem is "hate generally".

Right then.
Apr 23, 2019 5:31 PM

Apr 2019
Railey2 said:
I would say that she meant to say that it's very sad how we become desensitised to all this senseless violence, which is a symptom of these attacks happening rather often, which is obviously tragic and sad in itself.
Usually when people say these things they want to emphasize how often terroristic attacks happen, and that they're saddened by that.

Yes, this is exactly what I meant. Obviously, the loss of life is the saddest part, but we are all desensitized and that's terrible. This has become normal and no one is shocked when these things happen. Horrified, sure, but not shocked.
Apr 23, 2019 7:26 PM

Aug 2009
I don't care for religion in general and most have their problems, but Islam (radical or not) has to be one of the worst. Shit can fuck right off.
Apr 23, 2019 9:10 PM
Jan 2019
gaq_t said:
The Sri Lankan government was informed beforehand that major churches were going yo be targeted. Either the Sri Lankan government has a hand in this, or they are beyond incompetent.

I've told you before. People in Sri Lanka's government are imbeciles. I'm pretty sure that because of the stupid squabble going on between the president and the prime minister they completely ignored the warning due to their squabble or that they purposely ignored it so they can put the blame on the other.

How is it that
Apr 4 India interrogates ISIS terrorist and learns of plan to attack Sri Lanka, specifically mentions churches as targets, the name of the group and the leader. US intelligence also warns Sri Lanka
Apr 9 the country's Defense Ministry informed the Inspector General of Police of this alleged plot, and named a group believed to be behind the plan, the Nations Thawahid Jaman (NTJ). Unusually, the memo also included a list of suspects

April 11, another memo, signed by Priyalal Dissanayake, the Deputy Inspector General of Police, was circulated widely to a range of security services and some government ministries, according to Senaratne and a police source. That memo, a copy of which has been seen by CNN, laid out the threat and again contained a list of suspects. https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/22/asia/sri-lanka-bombings-warnings-unheeded-intl/index.html

Foreign security services repeated their warnings in the days and hours before the attack. One warning came ten minutes before the blasts.

AND STILL NOTHING?

Fucking idiots

And apparently this was in retaliation for the Christ church shooting
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/04/sri-lanka-attacks-retaliation-christchurch-deputy-minister-190423082847025.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/sri-lanka-bombings-latest-updates/2019/04/22/f2afe32a-6531-11e9-a698-2a8f808c9cfb_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.0c01d84d5814
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sri-lanka-news-bombings-retaliation-christchurch-death-toll-live-updates-2019-04-23/
The_News_GuyApr 23, 2019 9:30 PM
Apr 23, 2019 10:43 PM

Jul 2015
ah, the good old "retaliate against people who had nothing to do with it"-tactic.

I could see the logic if this would deter further attacks on Muslims, but it was shit like this that motivated the Christchurch shooter in the first place, no? Well, apart from being a psychopath.

I dunno. Doesn't seem like the smartest move if this was really about retribution.
"my life at this state could be transposed into a pretty massive biography"

- Cneq, "the guy who was literally using BTC in 2012 to make deals in the first main instance of a digital itemized economy forming naturally in all human history (also the precursor of NFTs) and who had 20k+ total trades.", 23 years old

MAL's most prolific antivaxxer, Noboru.
Apr 23, 2019 10:50 PM

Sep 2012
retaliation against Easter worshippers? what did they ever do?

Oh maybe, maybe it's the clothes we wear
The tasteless bracelets and the dye in our hair
Or maybe, maybe it's our nowhere towns or our nothing places
But we're trash, you and me
We're the litter on the breeze
We're the lovers on the streets
Just trash, me and you
It's in everything we do
It's in everything we do

Apr 23, 2019 10:57 PM

Jan 2009
ye religion vs religion like i feared it was
Apr 24, 2019 12:50 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Yomiyuki said:

Is this some kind of meme now that you are using ironically? I know that Hilary and Obama both used that term in their tweets but...
Apr 24, 2019 2:21 AM

Mar 2015
The_News_Guy said:
gaq_t said:

I've told you before. People in Sri Lanka's government are imbeciles. I'm pretty sure that because of the stupid squabble going on between the president and the prime minister they completely ignored the warning due to their squabble or that they purposely ignored it so they can put the blame on the other.

How is it that
Apr 4 India interrogates ISIS terrorist and learns of plan to attack Sri Lanka, specifically mentions churches as targets, the name of the group and the leader. US intelligence also warns Sri Lanka
Apr 9 the country's Defense Ministry informed the Inspector General of Police of this alleged plot, and named a group believed to be behind the plan, the Nations Thawahid Jaman (NTJ). Unusually, the memo also included a list of suspects

April 11, another memo, signed by Priyalal Dissanayake, the Deputy Inspector General of Police, was circulated widely to a range of security services and some government ministries, according to Senaratne and a police source. That memo, a copy of which has been seen by CNN, laid out the threat and again contained a list of suspects. https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/22/asia/sri-lanka-bombings-warnings-unheeded-intl/index.html

Foreign security services repeated their warnings in the days and hours before the attack. One warning came ten minutes before the blasts.

AND STILL NOTHING?

Fucking idiots

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/04/sri-lanka-attacks-retaliation-christchurch-deputy-minister-190423082847025.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/sri-lanka-bombings-latest-updates/2019/04/22/f2afe32a-6531-11e9-a698-2a8f808c9cfb_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.0c01d84d5814
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sri-lanka-news-bombings-retaliation-christchurch-death-toll-live-updates-2019-04-23/

the group has been reported to government by fellow muslim organization since 2016, talking about government incompetence response. probably didn't even consider them since they are small and too used to large scale organization terrorism (their own civil war just ended 10 years ago).
Apr 24, 2019 6:53 AM

Mar 2008
The_News_Guy said:
gaq_t said:

How is it that

AND STILL NOTHING?

Fucking idiots

Then they really picked the wrong targets to victimize if that's the case. I mean that was more political than religion. What idiots.
Apr 24, 2019 8:31 AM

Oct 2015
Religion claims many lives yet again. And it's a what, retaliation? Avenging the Christburch attack by massacring completely unrelated people? Makes perfect sense. I'm not expecting much from extremists but that's just idiotic. Were they expecting this would decrease further attacks on Islam or something because they couldn't be farther from the truth. Violence only begets more violence, as a wise man once said.
Apr 24, 2019 2:27 PM

Jul 2014
Thread Cleaned

Please stay on topic and don't derail the thread with theological discussions.
Take care of yourself

Apr 24, 2019 7:43 PM

Oct 2015
papsoshea said:
Media really is treating this differently to the Christchurch shooting, I wonder why?

Its pretty obvious why they are treating it differently, it doesn't fit their agenda. One good example is AOC. She tweeted about the New Zealand attacks 14 times, while she tweeted about the Sri Lanka attacks 0 times. On the day after it happened, she posted a promotion for her Netflix documentary. Shes the pinnacle of a disgusting human being a hypocrite
Apr 24, 2019 10:13 PM

May 2013
Fucking idiot ISIS. What a bunch of numbskulls, seriously!

Well, there's still a lot of Sri Lanka left. Let's keep it that way. Pray for world peace!
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Apr 25, 2019 1:04 AM

Mar 2015
Nightmare21st said:
papsoshea said:
Media really is treating this differently to the Christchurch shooting, I wonder why?

Its pretty obvious why they are treating it differently, it doesn't fit their agenda. One good example is AOC. She tweeted about the New Zealand attacks 14 times, while she tweeted about the Sri Lanka attacks 0 times. On the day after it happened, she posted a promotion for her Netflix documentary. Shes the pinnacle of a disgusting human being a hypocrite

what? it's reported everywhere.. what are you talking about? it's just Sri Lanka government has really strong patronage tendency that they really try to suppress too many information released to public in fear of their own fragile stability. Journalism has limited access to information they could get. it was you guys that literally filter anything that isn't supporting your agenda because you literally ignore 3 pages of news in google you can read! wtf?

so anyways, the victim toll rises to 359.

here another update
>sri lanka government admit their failure to prevent this attacks. the intelligence literally hold up the information, the reason still disclosed.

>The relation with ISIS getting more obvious, tho again, sri lanka government is not verify it, only said "with the help of international agency" despite NJT spiritual leader has appears in ISIS video Years before when he expelled from bigger thowheed jamaah organization. another intelligence failure.

>The suspect come from very rich family. again, Sri Lanka government didn't want to release anyone name, but some of them has been detected by media with CCTV footage, lot of them is very young, less than 25, and come from middle upper class family, well educated and even experienced collage oversea (mainly western). all of them is never experienced civil war brutality.

>16 of suspect are arrested yesterdey. it's unclear it was addition to previous 60 suspect, or just arresting the one already being suspect.

Sri Lanka way to prefer cover anything under the rug now come to bite them back.
KumaApr 25, 2019 1:18 AM
Apr 25, 2019 8:50 AM

Dec 2018
whelp looks like Sri Lankan Muslims are currently being evicted from their homes by their landlords.
Kinda figured that would happen.
Apr 25, 2019 9:20 PM

May 2013
149597871 said:
Yomiyuki said:

Is this some kind of meme now that you are using ironically? I know that Hilary and Obama both used that term in their tweets but...

It's a political statement. The religious right gets power from being persecuted so the Democrats try to minimize it.
Apr 26, 2019 12:59 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Pxi2 said:
149597871 said:

It's a political statement. The religious right gets power from being persecuted so the Democrats try to minimize it.

I get the reason behind the censorship but it's still a bit confusing. We know that Easter is the English word for "Great Day" or the day Christ came back to life, whatever but like a week ago I would have never guessed that "Easter worshiper" is supposed to mean "a christian". I would've most likely subconsciously made a connection with the Babylonian and Assyrian goddess.

Anyway my point is that now I'm seeing it everywhere often used ironically in order to mock leftists and people in general are more interested in ridiculing Trump's or Hillary's tweets at this point.
149597871Apr 26, 2019 1:03 AM
Apr 26, 2019 7:10 AM

Mar 2008
149597871 said:
Pxi2 said:

I get the reason behind the censorship but it's still a bit confusing. We know that Easter is the English word for "Great Day" or the day Christ came back to life, whatever but like a week ago I would have never guessed that "Easter worshiper" is supposed to mean "a christian". I would've most likely subconsciously made a connection with the Babylonian and Assyrian goddess.

Anyway my point is that now I'm seeing it everywhere often used ironically in order to mock leftists and people in general are more interested in ridiculing Trump's or Hillary's tweets at this point.

I heard Obama and Hillary (less sure here) both called them "Easter worshippers" on Twitter which is actually a common term used in religious holiday related news like this but some rightists made a big deal out over it for no good reason claiming it was hidding the identity of victims as Christian when the opposite is true really that it plays to emotion more. Had it been any Sunday at a church you would hear "Sunday worshippers" instead. Had it been to Muslims on a Muslim holiday it also may have been a similar equivalent term used. Due to the US being Christian majority it's unusually understood what is meant because Christians are viewed as the standard person.
Apr 26, 2019 3:45 PM

May 2013
149597871 said:
Pxi2 said:

It isn't conspiratorial to assume that politicians carefully word their written statements.

I get that we're not used to that due to the current leadership but its par for the course.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.