Forum Settings
Forums

does it bother you when the character speak in ENGLISH?

New
Apr 7, 2019 1:55 AM

Oct 2018
the pronunciation is too bad that could destroy the image of the character. are you one of this too? for me, yes it also bothers me sometimes when they started to speak in english. should they improve this in the near future?

Apr 7, 2019 1:59 AM

Jul 2016
With theme songs, they used to be better at English than they are now, like with the Cardcaptor Sakura OP. It's perplexing. The English phrases she sang in it are clearer than Japanese singers now.
Apr 7, 2019 2:00 AM

Nov 2017
not really... because they really speak english according their script
Now Loading.....
Apr 7, 2019 2:02 AM

Jan 2018
Lol, yeah it totally takes away from the immersion, especially when English is supposedly the character in question's "first language."

And it's not even just English. It really bothered me when Asuka, the "German" girl in NGE spoke the shittiest German I've ever heard. I don't even speak the language, but I've seen enough German foreign films to realize how utterly botched it was.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Apr 7, 2019 2:04 AM

Oct 2018
IpreferEcchi said:
With theme songs, they used to be better at English than they are now, like with the English pieces in the Cardcaptor Sakura OP. It's perplexing.

talk about theme song, yeah I used to listen one from attack on titan reluctant hero by hiroyuki sawano.. really damn good but yeah...it really bad engrish...
Apr 7, 2019 2:10 AM

Jul 2016
Are... are you insulting Kong Wenge?
Apr 7, 2019 2:13 AM

Jan 2013
If you're asking about Engrish, yes it bothers me. It sounds cringeworthy.
Apr 7, 2019 2:15 AM
Apr 2019
I watch most things in English anyway. Subs are too much work.
Apr 7, 2019 2:16 AM

Sep 2018
Not really, I have seen a character just speak gibberish that was supposed to be English which was then subbed for the Japanese audience and then re subbed for the English language.

I don't mind if they at least try instead of doing the Japanese version of blah, blah blah.

Engrish doesn't bother me, there is no way of teaching them the correct pronunciation with their kanji. So they either have to have an English speaker there or learn the English alphabet.
Apr 7, 2019 2:17 AM
Jul 2017
Stoorainclaire said:
the pronunciation is too bad that could destroy the image of the character. are you one of this too? for me, yes it also bothers me sometimes when they started to speak in english. should they improve this in the near future?

It's not English, it's Engrish. And yes, their Engrish is just as bad as American's Nihounchi.
"You are the result of 4 billion years of evolution. Act like it."
"Why don't you eat make up? Then you can be beautiful on the inside too."
"'Sick'? Call me 'twisted'. 'Sick' makes it sound like there's a cure."
"What's messed up isn't my thinking, what's messed up is this god damn world."
"The world isn't perfect, but its out there doing the best it can for us. That's what makes it so damn beautiful."
Apr 7, 2019 2:17 AM

Dec 2018
Depends on how good they said it but it bothered me just a little just because I didn’t expect it

"O kawaii koto"
( ´• ᴗ •` )

I wish i could love myself~

Apr 7, 2019 2:20 AM

Mar 2015
Depends, if it's like one word or so ok idc, but when two characters speak engrish for like 5 minutes just to switch to Japanese later it's like why *looking at you Kuroko no Basket*
Apr 7, 2019 2:32 AM
Jul 2018
I personally think its adorable, also I have been studying Japanese for a few years. My grammar sucks, even though I've memorized the kana and a fair amount of kanji, my o's are not Japanese O sounds, same really with the whole a i u e o , I mean if I really focus, I can pull it off, but it sounds to me like I'm making fun of them when I do it correctly. That's how miraculously different are language systems are. Using roman characters like baka, doesn't really express how different the sounds we make to speak are. So I can appreciate that it's a two way street. Engrish kind of warms my heart, it shows that people from both sides experience difficulties when trying to broaden their worlds by learning a new language, even if its just a few words for a script. ♥
Apr 7, 2019 3:44 AM

Jan 2015
Unless it’s used for comedic reasons, yeah it bothers me
Apr 7, 2019 4:06 AM

Jun 2017
Engrish does not bother me, it can be quite hilarious. (I am mad scientist)
The thing that bothers me the most is "Germanese".
Japanese have a rough understanding of the English language, but when they start chanting magic spells in German they get everything wrong.
http://steinsgate.jp/10th/ FGO:591,495,201 (NA)
Apr 7, 2019 4:08 AM

Mar 2019
Find it kind of funny, as it's so botched. But hey, the can speak more english than I can speak Japanese.

My anime review website: https://www.takanodan.net
Apr 7, 2019 4:39 AM

Jan 2016
For some reason even though they pronounce english correctly, it still bothers me.
Apr 7, 2019 4:57 AM

Apr 2010
I hate when people do it, and not just in anime. I don't' expect anyone to have a perfect American British accent, but this is just Japanese people talking English without any tri to sound not Japanese.

Apr 7, 2019 5:02 AM

Feb 2015
Whole sentences are painful, but special techniques in English are amusing.
Apr 7, 2019 5:07 AM

May 2014
It's funny when an American character is speaking broken English. It'd be nice if they got people more convincing but it doesn't bother me. There's an announcer in Piano no Mori who has the best English i've heard in an anime so far.

Apr 7, 2019 5:13 AM
Jan 2019
Optigisa said:
that dude seems legit chinese when he speaks
Apr 7, 2019 5:58 AM

Oct 2017
It doesn't bother me rather I find it amusing.
Apr 7, 2019 6:05 AM
Jul 2018

Answer: No.
I dont expect characters in anime set in japan to speak english fluently or speak it at all
Apr 7, 2019 6:07 AM
Aug 2018
For the most of the time, I have no idea why they use broken English, it’s pretty jarring, but It can be funny when Okabe does it though, it’s flat out hilarious and makes me love his character even more (even though I prefer the dub).
Apr 7, 2019 6:08 AM

Sep 2014
They are better in English than in French or German.
Apr 7, 2019 6:25 AM

Mar 2018
A lot of characters say "thank you" in a weird screechy way
poop
Apr 7, 2019 6:29 AM

Feb 2019
Nope I love seeing Japanesse people have hard time talking english ..XD
But they they talk better then me XD
Apr 7, 2019 7:02 AM

Aug 2009
Stoorainclaire said:

The Target audience of anime are people who mostly speak Japanese and I doubt most of them are going to know the difference. So it doesn't bother when when they speak Engrish in a carton made in Japan primarily for a Japanese speaking audience. I would imagine that many movies and shows aimed a English speaking audience probably have the same problems regarding characters speaking non-English languages. Sure if the makers of that movie or show have extra money they might be able to hire consultants to help make the actors speak that foreign language speaking part flawlessly. But I doubt most anime studios have the budget or care to hire a foreign language consult because the vast majority of their target audience isn't going to know a character is speaking Engrish instead of English.

Are you going to know if a character is speaking a language you don't know at all really poorly?

ezikialrageApr 7, 2019 7:07 AM
Apr 7, 2019 7:12 AM

Jul 2015
watching anime is a great way to learn engrish
Apr 7, 2019 7:12 AM

Feb 2015
I don't really mind per se, it is what it is and I don't expect it to be perfect English or anything. I guess if it's just for comedic value I don't notice it as much. It obviously doesn't "sound right" in my ears but it doesn't bother me that much. Like I said, it is what it is imo.
Apr 7, 2019 7:15 AM

Dec 2012
Engrish doesn't bother me, in fact I find their accent kinda charismatic or hilarious depending on the context... but I'm not a native English speaker myself so idk how I'd react in that case
Apr 7, 2019 7:17 AM

Dec 2015
Mostly it's just kinda shitty and annoying so I guess I get bothered by it.
Apr 7, 2019 7:20 AM
Oct 2018
It's super cringy for me
If they say one or two words such as 'Thank you' or 'Okay', then its fine i guess
But if that's how they're gonna talk, then it becomes annoying
--
Apr 7, 2019 7:27 AM

Mar 2018
it is hilarious so it doesn't bother me
Apr 7, 2019 7:42 AM

Aug 2017
Nah, it brothers me when the characters start speaking italian MAMMA MIA
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 7, 2019 8:14 AM

May 2009
If it's a Japanese person speaking English badly when the character is supposed to be speaking English well, then yeah. Pretty much this:
Greyleaf said:
Lol, yeah it totally takes away from the immersion, especially when English is supposedly the character in question's "first language."

And it's not even just English. It really bothered me when Asuka, the "German" girl in NGE spoke the shittiest German I've ever heard. I don't even speak the language, but I've seen enough German foreign films to realize how utterly botched it was.
As for Asuka I've heard that the English voicework does the German bits well because that voice actress knows German herself.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Apr 7, 2019 8:16 AM

Oct 2014
I find it kind of endearing when a cute Japanese girl struggles to sound natural when speaking Japanese. It's a little different if the character is canonically a native speaker, though. If studios already hire different voice actors for a character's child version or for their singing voice then I doubt it would be too difficult to get an English voice for them. They could even just use the voice of the dub actor for that segment.
Apr 7, 2019 9:21 AM
Sep 2017
It doesn´t bother me, DO YOU UNDERSTANDU??
Apr 7, 2019 9:24 AM

Aug 2018
Who doesn't love the cute Engrish of Nao Touyama (Kiniro Mosaic, Kantai Collection: KanColle etc.) or Mamoru Miyano (Steins;Gate, Zombieland Saga etc.)?
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Apr 7, 2019 9:49 AM

Apr 2018
It doesn't bother me much. English is not my native language, so my pronunciation isn't perfect, either.

It mostly depends on the situation/context in which Engrish is used. It's totally fine if it's used in a comedic, light-hearted tone but it can be immersion-breaking if used in a serious, dramatic scene.

A good example of the latter is when Ryo exposes the existence of demons in Devilman Crybaby. He does an entire Engrish speech in that scene and, while i commend the seiyuu for his effort, it's a bit hard to take that scene seriously because of it.
Apr 7, 2019 10:33 AM

Jul 2016
Harshit0987 said:
Optigisa said:
that dude seems legit chinese when he speaks

He is the coolest mofo ever, love him to death
Apr 7, 2019 11:37 AM

Dec 2016
Ngl Engrish is pretty annoying, especially if English is supposed to be that character's first language. Like... You really expect me to believe that this character is a native English speaker when I can barely even make out what they are saying because their pronunciation is so bad? I get that it may be difficult for people to pronounce a foreign language well, but some Japanese VAs pronunciation is so bad that it feels like they are not even trying. Even when I first started learning Japanese or Spanish or other foreign languages, my pronunciation was never as bad as how the Japanese pronounce English words.

Occasionally it can be unintentionally funny, though.

What's the difference?
Apr 7, 2019 11:41 AM

Nov 2017
I find it more amusing than anything else
Apr 7, 2019 11:50 AM
Dec 2017
No, not really. Even when the English isn't very good, I just put up with it. Some times Engrish is funny but then I feel kinda bad for laughing afterwards...
Apr 7, 2019 11:55 AM

Nov 2016
One of really bad things that can happen in anime is different langauge speaking characters(mostly english). It's not my primary language but when is said it's in for example "japanese" then it should have only 1 language not more.
Apr 7, 2019 11:55 AM

Oct 2018
I know it's not big problem and I don't mind it either since most japanese really cannot speak english fluently but that a different when the character in-anime play it...

thing that can ruin character image when speak english is....
1. Super smart character that excel at everything.....eg akashi seijuro from kuroko basketball
2. when the character originally from america, england
Apr 7, 2019 12:00 PM

Dec 2015
If we talking about a voice-actor that is japanes and are rather clueless about how to pronounce english words, no.

If we talking about english voice-actors that are rather clueless about giving a soul to a character. As a huge amount of them can't yes. I hate how it is quantity over quality.

Apr 7, 2019 12:02 PM

Oct 2017
Ik with the guy who played Ryo in devilman Crybaby he can speak English pretty good but the take of his that was put in the show was kinda bad.
Its all about the take they put in the show
Apr 7, 2019 12:03 PM

May 2015
Bother me? Hell, that's one of the greatest reasons why JoJo's dialogues are cool.
Apr 7, 2019 12:04 PM
Jul 2018
I'm a Kougami fan, but when his VA spoke English with that heavy accent in the Psycho-Pass movie, it was tough to watch. Most of the time it's acceptable, but it's really distracting when the story is immersive

Though, when Okabe Rintarou's VA spoke Engrish on purpose in Steins;Gate, it was hilarious. So I guess it depends on the situation

More topics from this board

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 15 minutes ago

2 by Serafos »»
18 seconds ago

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 4 hours ago

18 by deg »»
4 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

62 by Pinoffin »»
11 minutes ago

» Underrated character designs/outfits you think are appealing / sexy

IpreferEcchi - 2 hours ago

4 by LightWorker »»
22 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - Yesterday

43 by TRC_Randy »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.