Forum Settings
Forums

anyone love watching both subbed and dubbed?

New
Apr 4, 2019 1:40 AM
Dec 2018
for me its like watching a different universe. i did it on attack on titan,my hero academia,dragon ball super,psycho pass. and more
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 4, 2019 1:46 AM

Aug 2018
I prefer sub, but if dub is available, I check it out. If i like it, than I watch it dubbed. But there aren't many dubbed animes that I really like, so I am watching subbed most of the time.
derflorianApr 4, 2019 1:51 AM
Apr 4, 2019 1:47 AM
Mar 2018
I prefer dub mostly , and if there's no dub then I go with sub.
Apr 4, 2019 1:52 AM

Feb 2018
If the dub is good, I ll watch it, but atm i only watch adaptations of manga I like, as they come out, so I only watch sub.
Apr 4, 2019 1:56 AM

May 2013
Yeah, I do.

I enjoy comparing how the faked voices sound between japanese and english voice actors. I don't see it as a different universe though, kinda think that anime is its own universe. Depending on the anime, it is sometimes feels more believable to watch it with an english dub.

Never gave a damn about the 'muh original meaning is lost' because that happens with any form of translation, starting from subtitles itself.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Apr 4, 2019 2:05 AM

Jan 2018
I have a simply rule I abide by. If the story takes place in Japan, I watch it subbed with no exceptions. Ever. In some cases, such as Cowboy Bebop and Baccano, I prefer the dub. Not only do both of those titles have incredibly talented voice actors on the dub roster, but it just sounds much more natural, given the settings and names of the characters (Baccano takes place in prohibition-era U.S. after all, lol).

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Apr 4, 2019 2:06 AM
Jan 2019
i prefer subbed, dubbed is kinda weird..
Apr 4, 2019 2:07 AM

Jan 2013
Nah, dubs are pretty much trash.
Can't stand them at all.
Apr 4, 2019 2:11 AM
Jan 2017
CondemneDio said:
Can't stand them at all.

Wow,This is the first time I have seen someone call dub trash.
Apr 4, 2019 2:14 AM

Jan 2013
CoreFinder said:
CondemneDio said:
Can't stand them at all.

Lots of people think so, but we get bored of saying it repeatedly.
Apr 4, 2019 2:18 AM

Jun 2017
I am a native German speaker and the only dubbed anime I have watched and enjoyed were DBZ/DGT (especially the dubbed openings) and Steins;Gate.
http://steinsgate.jp/10th/ FGO:591,495,201 (NA)
Apr 4, 2019 2:20 AM

Aug 2014
I exclusively watch subs, but some of the BEST shows have the BEST dub as well, and usually are a treasure.
Apr 4, 2019 2:20 AM
Jan 2012
I don't, but I really am envious of those that do. I've developed my preference, and it's hard to enjoy what's outside of my preference. It's never bad to have options, plus as much as I prefer subs, it is quite annoying watching it while playing a video game or something as it requires more attention
Apr 4, 2019 2:24 AM

Apr 2015
Dub gives me cancer and sub cures it

30 characters limit
Apr 4, 2019 2:28 AM

Aug 2015
Since i am a seiyuu nerd i watch everything on sub. But i started watching anime in dub though. Have seen the whole Naruto and half of Shippuuden in dub. Also animes like Dragon Ball, Shaman King, Metabots etc..

You like it how you started watching it more. This is how it is with most people i guess.
Apr 4, 2019 2:29 AM

Aug 2015
Gamefan121 said:
I am a native German speaker and the only dubbed anime I have watched and enjoyed were DBZ/DGT (especially the dubbed openings) and Steins;Gate.

The german Naruto opening is hilarious lmao. You should check it out.
Apr 4, 2019 2:42 AM
Jan 2019
CoreFinder said:
CondemneDio said:
Can't stand them at all.

CoreFinder said:
CondemneDio said:
Can't stand them at all.

dub is trash though maybe you are new to anime
Apr 4, 2019 7:10 AM

Dec 2017
Sub is always better. Only popular shonens have good dubs other than that pretty much every dub is bad compared to sub.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Apr 4, 2019 7:18 AM

Feb 2010
oh, you mean for the same show? No, not really. I don't rewatch much in the first place and I don't get anything out of watching a different version once I got used to the first one. It'sjust gonna make it harder to enjoy. I know from experience with western TV shows that once I watch the original, I can't enjoy the dub because it just feels like a different show and not the show I fell in love with. It would probably be the same with anime.

So if I watch dubbed, I do so from the start. I might switch back and forth for the first episode if I have a dual audio version, but once I make up my mind on which version to commit to, I don't change it back.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 4, 2019 7:39 AM
Jul 2018
I usually get dual audio releases and compare the first episode, but in the end I end up watching it subbed most of the time.
Apr 4, 2019 7:44 AM
Jul 2018
Yea, and I actually prefer dubbed when it’s voiced well.(Like in death note and Nana)
Apr 4, 2019 7:52 AM

May 2017
No... I always prefer the original dub, even if I don't like the language spoken...
also, the sound in dubbed stuff sounds kinda weird.

"というわけで。待望の、体 操 服! でっあ~る。祭りであれば、余も着飾ってはいられぬと用意したが……うむ! 心身ともに軽くなったようだ。どうだ? 似合っているであろう、マスター?" - Random Quote From Internet by Saber Nero

Apr 4, 2019 7:53 AM

Aug 2013
I usually stick with the version I started, be it sub or dub. I only switched between sub and dub with two anime, Ghost in the Shell and Black Lagoon, for all the others I tried there was too much difference between italian dubbed characters and their original version.
Apr 4, 2019 8:27 AM

Aug 2017
I like dub but in Italy there aren't many so I'm chained to subs(sometimes is difficult even to find italian subs)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 4, 2019 9:33 AM
Dec 2018
Gamefan121 said:

you should watch monster in german. it takes place is east germany
Apr 4, 2019 9:36 AM
May 2016
I mostly watching it sub because I watch it when it airs
But i’ll Watch it dubbed after 3 eps or when it’s come on blu-Ray/DVD
Apr 4, 2019 9:40 AM

Dec 2015
Well, I do watch dubbed to time to time, but as soon as I understand that it's funimation voice actors I change to sub or watch it and thanks to how bad the voice actors are from funimation, the score is close to low each time.

It's quantity over quality.

But it do exist good dub out there, really good dub.

Great Teacher Onizuka.
Golden Boy etc.

A example on bad dub is Love Live, first time I watched that show I watched it dubbed gave it 4/10 score, watched it 2 years later as subbed and the anime went up from 4/10 to 6/10.

Voice actors gives soul to a character, but sadly funimation kills the character when they try to give them a soul.

Apr 4, 2019 10:22 AM

Jun 2014
I usually go with the dubbed, but I mostly watched subbed anime because of CR. I have my preferences with certain shows as some I will only watch dubbed and others I will only watch subbed.
Apr 4, 2019 10:26 AM

Jun 2014
I watch both. Generally, if an uncut dub is available, I'll watch things dubbed.

If a dub of an Anime I want to watch doesn't exist, isn't available, or the dub heavily edits/censors the Anime, I'll watch those Anime subbed.

Like most people my age and older, I grew up with dubs, as subbed Anime didn't exist where I lived when I was younger. They don't show subbed Anime on TV, and all the video stores in my area only ever carried dubbed Anime tapes.

Apr 4, 2019 12:32 PM

Dec 2012
Yes, I tend to alternate language tracks on my DVDs/BDs when I rewatch stuff. It keeps things fresh.

CondemneDio said:
CoreFinder said:

No slacking man, you have to constantly reinforce lies in order for them to become truth.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 4, 2019 12:34 PM

Jan 2013
Kruszer said:

CondemneDio said:

No slacking man, you have to constantly reinforce lies in order for them to become truth.

Imagine calling opinions lies.
This post was made by the "it's cool to have opinions" gang.
Apr 4, 2019 12:41 PM

Jan 2019
For me at least, I've lately been finding myself mostly watching subs. This is probably because there aren't any dubs available for the shows I've recently watched, or that the dubs are generally regarded as bad. Dubs are harder on the ear when they're bad. I don't speak Japanese (yet) so if a characters voice acting is pure cringe then I'll probably not notice it with Japanese audio. For example, the Black Lagoon dub, the voice actress for Revy, pure cringe. Never heard someone try so hard and fail to be a "badass". It's especially jarring when as a native English speaker I can identify the tone as petulantly tryhard.

This isn't to say I won't watch dubs. Kill la Kill, Cowboy Bebop, Ninja Scroll, Naruto, DBZ, One Punch Man, Mob Psycho...I've watched all of these dubbed, because the acting ranges from very passable to very good.

I guess it depends. I'll give anything a go but generally a quick bit of google-fu for dubs VS subs is what usually informs my decision to go one way or the other on pretty much any show I watch.

Edit :- If it's a cutesy or comedy show then I'm probably just gonna watch the sub because I feel like a lot of the shows intent will probably be lost in translation.

CallMeHootApr 4, 2019 12:47 PM
Apr 4, 2019 12:44 PM

Dec 2012
CondemneDio said:
Kruszer said:

Uninformed or overly-generalized opinions are potentially lies though. Unless you've actually seen all dubs in existence, there is still a possibility that you might prove yourself wrong later. You can still lie to yourself. Anyhow, it was just a joke in the first place, no need to take it seriously.
KruszerApr 4, 2019 12:47 PM
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 4, 2019 12:45 PM
Feb 2019
As I'm not a native english speaking person and I hate bad voice acting usually, I prefer just having subs on. I mean, I watched shows (not anime) with english dubs already and got what they were saying, but if it takes place in Japan and is made by Japanese, then I feel like it's more natural watching it that way. Of course if there's a good dub and I hear good reception about it, I can check it out, since even as a kid I watched DBZ, Naruto and other animes on my native language and liked them just as much (though, I wasn't even good in English at the time).
Apr 4, 2019 12:57 PM

Jan 2013
Kruszer said:
CondemneDio said:

Uninformed or overly-generalized opinions are potentially lies though. Unless you've actually seen all dubs in existence, there is still a possibility that you might prove yourself wrong later. You can still lie to yourself. Anyhow, it was just a joke in the first place, no need to take it seriously.

Shorter sentences have better impact, and there's other reasons too on why we don't use extremely precise language.

But to appease you; as of this moment, it is my personal opinion that there is no dub worthy of being called good, at most I would give the honor of being average to one or two shows.
Apr 4, 2019 12:59 PM

Aug 2014
Yep, I usually watch both sub and dub for anime I enjoy. That makes the rewatch value higher too. I prefer English dub over the original maybe 20% of the time. Most of the people who criticize dubs don't have much experience.
Apr 4, 2019 1:08 PM

Jan 2019
CondemneDio said:
But to appease you; as of this moment, it is my personal opinion that there is no dub worthy of being called good, at most I would give the honor of being average to one or two shows.

That's a bit...extreme ;P Granted, you preface it with an acknowledgement that it's merely your own opinion, but I have to at least voice my disagreement and state that an opinion like that surely comes from a place of misplaced elitism. Unless you're a voice actor yourself?

I haven't exactly watched a ton of anime so far, but more than I had when I started (yay me?) and I think out of the dubs I've watched a couple have been good to very good. If I ever come across one I think is outstanding then maybe my bar will change.
Apr 4, 2019 1:14 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I've never seen someone explain it how I think of it so let me try.

Inherently you're getting a butchered version even in the anime cause most times the manga exists (not saying it's alway superior but it more times then not the anime misses something) and even if the anime improves the subtitles are probably not that great so you're never getting the full picture (I've gotten the BNHA manga picked apart by Japanese friends for nuances I would have never known cause of the language barrier and translator notes are dead).

And then we have the dub which yes is going to be most of the time, a vastly different experience then the sub even despite what I said. Sometimes cause of localization or just slight wording but it depends on the series and the hold you have on it. I just watched Sherlock Hound the dub last week and it was really great it gelled extremely well especially since it's based off a British series and the voice acting though shaky for the first episode really knocked it out of the park; of course it's not a series with super deep lore or a series I'm going to be basking over for weeks on end. It was pure entertainment.

It depends on what you get out of anime; if you like being an analytical shit and knowing everything and anything about how the mangaka or team constructed the entire project down to the wording then you're gonna want the original. But if you're here for entertainment just watch it dubbed (unless the voices are to jaaring which to me it's a hit or miss)
Apr 4, 2019 1:17 PM

Jan 2013
CallMeHoot said:
CondemneDio said:

That's a bit...extreme ;P Granted, you preface it with an acknowledgement that it's merely your own opinion, but I have to at least voice my disagreement and state that an opinion like that surely comes from a place of misplaced elitism. Unless you're a voice actor yourself?

I haven't exactly watched a ton of anime so far, but more than I had when I started (yay me?) and I think out of the dubs I've watched a couple have been good to very good. If I ever come across one I think is outstanding then maybe my bar will change.

I think it's weird to jump into the conclusion about elitism here.
I've tried out several dubs and they just don't do it for me. Even the ones people praise as masterpieces are just average to me. Why wouldn't I want to watch the superior version if that was the case?
Apr 4, 2019 1:21 PM

Jan 2019
CondemneDio said:
CallMeHoot said:

I've tried out several dubs and they just don't do it for me. Even the ones people praise as masterpieces are just average to me. Why wouldn't I want to watch the superior version if that was the case?

Maybe I went too far myself. I just meant that it was fairly heavy handed to suggest that there were no good dubs at all just because you personally haven't found any you enjoyed.

But hey, I'm not preaching at anyone, if a certain thing does nothing for you then you'd be mad not to seek out a preferable alternative :)
Apr 4, 2019 1:28 PM

Jan 2013
CallMeHoot said:
CondemneDio said:

Maybe I went too far myself. I just meant that it was fairly heavy handed to suggest that there were no good dubs at all just because you personally haven't found any you enjoyed.

But hey, I'm not preaching at anyone, if a certain thing does nothing for you then you'd be mad not to seek out a preferable alternative :)

No offense taken.
Anime is a dividing art form anyways :D
Apr 4, 2019 1:29 PM

Mar 2015
I only watch dubbed anime...

Said no one ever.
Apr 4, 2019 1:34 PM
Oct 2018
I used to watch dubbed, but then realised all the cool kids watch subbed
--
Apr 4, 2019 1:36 PM
Apr 2018
I watch anime both dubbed and subbed.
Whether I watch it dubbed or subbed depends on the anime.
Apr 4, 2019 1:38 PM

Nov 2015
Not always, but when the dub is praised I watch it.

As a French speaker, it's not easy to find dubs available online.
Most of the time, I go for the sub or English dubs.

Apr 4, 2019 1:39 PM

Mar 2018
I only watch dubbed anime...

but not mainly in english
Apr 4, 2019 1:50 PM

Dec 2012
CondemneDio said:
Kruszer said:

Shorter sentences have better impact, and there's other reasons too on why we don't use extremely precise language.

Considering where you're from I can see this being the case. I mean how many Finish anime dubs are there? Genuinely curious. Watching an English (my first language) dub for you would still be watching something in a second language which is awkward. My second language is Spanish but I only took two years of it , which is nowhere close to being fluent.
KruszerApr 4, 2019 1:55 PM
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 4, 2019 1:56 PM

Jan 2013
Kruszer said:
CondemneDio said:

Considering where you're from I can see this being the case. I mean how many Finish anime dubs are there? Genuinely curious. Watching an English (my first language) dub for you would still be watching something in a second language which is awkward.

They dub only kids' shows here, stuff like Beyblade and Pokemon (I think they still do that).
Other than that, they aired DBZ in english, but after that, it's been Japanese with Finnish subs.

This might've affected my perception in the matter, didn't really think about it that much up to this point. Really a good point.
Apr 4, 2019 10:14 PM

Jul 2017
Though I prefer sub, there are dubs that I enjoy.

Hearing the anime both subbed and dubbed? Only for ones where I enjoyed both.

Soon, I will be watching the new Fruits Basket both subbed and dubbed since I have heard of the dub and thought it sounded pretty good.

Help, I'm hooked into the Fate series (not all) and am obsessed with Shirou x Saber!
Also, forever hoping for a ufotable remake of the Fate route!
Apr 5, 2019 6:25 AM

May 2016
I don't have a preference so I tend to watch both.
RaginCajunApr 5, 2019 6:28 AM
"It's not like I wanted a signature or anything...BAKA!" - A MAL user.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 7 hours ago

10 by meyve »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 8 hours ago

16 by Maou_heika »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you have any favorite opening or ending animations?

RobertBobert - 9 minutes ago

1 by tchitchouan »»
3 minutes ago

» Underrated character designs/outfits you think are appealing / sexy

IpreferEcchi - 3 hours ago

8 by mshfqtny »»
6 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 5 hours ago

25 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.