Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 1, 2019 1:27 PM

Dec 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
well, that was something. not really Ultraman, but Ultramen. haven't seen the original show, neither read the manga, but i guess this was some sort of sequel to the original one? tbh, didn't enjoy it much. felt like it tried to pull a Spider-Man but it didn't work out well

the cgi was bearable, tho the facial expressions were just motionless. the fights had good choreography. the characters were pretty shit, especially the mc with this cliche oblivious type of justice. and the story... i don't even know what to say. there's just too many questions. like what the fuck was that ending? is Bemular a sentient being? what was that camouflaged spaceship? but oh well, whatever
Apr 2, 2019 6:44 AM

Feb 2017
Fighting in this episode was awesome. When Shinjiro released his limiter it was super hype.

Fights in this anime looked awesome, I just wish facial animation was better, though I got used to it pretty quickly. Sound and music were great as well. Story was standard hero vs evil aliens as expected, and it was quite fun to me.

It was really enjoyable show, I wasn't bored a single moment. As far as I know manga is still ongoing. I would be happy to see second season in the future. I am interested in learning more about Space Council, Bemular, that blonde guy, and Edo.
7.5/10
TsarkoApr 2, 2019 6:48 AM
Apr 2, 2019 11:35 AM

Apr 2016
The story was pretty interesting..but that CGI was so bad
Final score 6/10

Apr 2, 2019 10:45 PM

Dec 2011
The first episode animation was meeh but the rest of episodes was really good.
They just skip Red, the alien friend of Jack. And I don't know anymore if Ultraman Taro was skipped too or he appears later in the manga.

I hope a S2

My only regret, no OPENING !!!! Where is it !

Just a question for people who remember the manga, when Shinjirou shot his Spacium beam in this episode, Ide was surprised he can do it. Does he mean, that Shinjiro shoot a real Spacium beam from his super power and not from the armor ? I should take the manga and read it again to check but I'm too lazy to look for them in my mess xD.
Raikiri29Apr 2, 2019 11:52 PM
Apr 3, 2019 1:03 PM

Jan 2018
This show was great, and the animation was pretty dang good after episode 1. At first I was planning on giving this a 6 or 7, but my overall score came to around 8.6, so I guess it's a 9.

Hoping for a season 2 in the future.
Apr 3, 2019 7:40 PM

Dec 2015
and this is why you need 3D animation. Overall a great show with high production quality, there is a lot of things to nitpick, but nothing can hold it back from being one of the top anime(?) this year. 8/10, would love a sequel.
Apr 6, 2019 9:25 AM

Dec 2015
uninstallthegame said:
Haven't seen the original show, neither read the manga, but i guess this was some sort of sequel to the original one?

It's based on the manga who itself is a "modernization" that took the shape of a sequel to the first TV show. (from what I read in the first tome)
Apr 7, 2019 12:17 AM

May 2015
All the stunts! All of them!

Lol how come Moroboshi gets the supply drops?

It was hard seeing Seiji getting sliced to bits with blood everywhere. But a secret weapon isn't used until the last moment. That's why it's called a secret weapon!

The first time I've died in 300 years? Is he immortal?

Shinjiro goes Kaioken!

8 seconds? That's ridiculous! And that's a big ass spaceship. So this is what Bemular was waiting for.

I guess we didn't get the usual damsel in distress scene with Rena. I'm fine with that...

And we finish it off with the classic superhero flying towards the camera.

Ultraman...It heavily reminds me of the first Spider-man film. There were a few moments in the dialogue that felt pretty cliche, and some of the plot moments were cliche as well, but it's to be expected of a superhero series. I really liked the Ultraman suit designs, and the villains and alien designs looked good too. Their personalities and mannerisms were pretty interesting as well. But the animation? As I stated before, it's jarring to watch when it goes slow, but it becomes very fluid during the action scenes. This final episode in particular is where they put all of the animation budget in as most of the action scenes in the series involving maskless Ultramen looked noticeably choppy. Everything was fluid in the final episode. This anime pretty much shows the true potential of 3DCGI with the fluid action scenes, awesome choreography, and dynamic camera angles. The creators did cheat a bit with the animation since it is motion captured, but it did it so well that it made the anime look like an actual Tokusatsu show. Looks like Motion Capture is going to be the key to 3DCGI's success, and Ultraman just set the standard for it. A great series for Ultraman fans old and new. Great, now I feel like watching some more Ultraman.

Final Verdict: Solid Ground/10
TarotistApr 7, 2019 12:33 AM
Apr 7, 2019 5:43 AM
Apr 2019
My only comment is...

Was that a Matrix reference with Shinjiro doing that one handed blocking choreography? Certainly reminiscent of it.
Apr 8, 2019 5:29 AM

Dec 2009
The second half was pretty weak, but this episode made it worth it, the fighting was really good, some really cool effects and the limiter release was badass.
Hokuto really shined finally, his 2 other fights were pretty lame. That baddie had the ultimate asshole way to die with a fucking orbital nuke.

I saw Bemular being the OG Ultraman from a mile away, but it was "revealed" really well. Now we wait for a season 2 that will neeeeever come.
Apr 8, 2019 6:17 AM

Aug 2018
Awesome fights all the way through, as an Ultra fan I liked this take on the franchise, would lvoe to see another season. And his theme tune is hyyype
Can I offer you an egg is this trying time?
Apr 15, 2019 9:03 PM
Jul 2017
Vaerjo said:
My only comment is...

Was that a Matrix reference with Shinjiro doing that one handed blocking choreography? Certainly reminiscent of it.
glad I'm not the only one who noticed this.
Apr 22, 2019 6:12 AM
Jul 2018
wtf was this, worst anime I've seen in a while, horrible.
May 3, 2019 3:35 AM
Jun 2013
awesome final battle and just overall awesome fights through out the whole show. I really enjoyed this one and it has a nice set up for a season 2 which I hope comes. I always find it funny when a villain is like "i cant be killed I died a bunch of times" when they know they havent been killed every single way so theres a chance you can die. Dont know why some say this was some bad CG when this is one of the better example of good anime CG.
May 4, 2019 3:47 PM
May 2017
ok, well...

CGI was alright, only the monster things looked super bad, but as long as it is watchable I usually don't care too much about art.

The MC as usual is like the cringest, dumbest person on earth, with the usual hero of justice complex, he has no personality other than "I want to save everyone". Rena design looked real cute, probably like the only reason I even finished the show, also maybe she is like the only character with something we might even call character development. Swordsman ultraman was kinda the only other decent character, his fights were quite good. 3rd ultraman guy was probably the worst, he made no sense whatsoever.
I have no idea what was the deal with one-eyed-alien-chief, and all other characters were there to always remind the MC "u have 3 min left lol".

But again, not so well designed characters don't necessarily make an anime a disaster.
But the story is a mess. The story basically the assassins wanted to kill 3rd ultraman guy for whatever reason, then they did.
Idk if it wanted to be romance between the MC and Rena, but if it wanted to be, then it was extremely poorly executed.

The worst of all, the show is full of logical failures.
The Universal Alliance Council sent an advanced research team then they sent mercenaries to assassinate them. Why the hell would they do that?
If Bemular is not evil after all, then like all of his actions are plain retarded (except destroying the bomb the aliens dropped on Earth at the very end only God knows why). Why would he fight the old and young ultraman in the 1st ep, then why would he almost murder a full stadium of people by cutting off the roof at the concert. Also the striped universal policeman's method of catching the 4eyes was full retarded too. Whatever all of that had to do with the ultramen and the fans at the concert? How did the 3 dudes even made 4eyes murder all those people (by calling assassins on them I guess), asked him nicely or what? It 100% seemed like 4eyes was mental all by himself (still the conclusion was "ah 4eyes really loved Rena, he was a good guy").
Whatever the fck was Jack even doing the whole series? He was doing random shit like letting out the monster thing in the city, then at the end he kidnapped crab mechanic dude, up to the mothership (which was previously blown up), but why? And why not a lot sooner? He gave info to 3rd ultraman, so he surely had to know where crab mechanic was before too. It was also stated before, that Jack is a human, born on earth. Wherever was he going home to?
4eyes magical phone (that somehow can hear every conversation anywhere) was stolen by 3rd ultraman, then SSSP said they know who took the magical phone, why didn't they took it from him? What was 3rd ultraman reason to be so retarded after all? What happened to Yuko? She was totally fine chilling on an oil rig.
At the end what's up with a simple explosion messing up the swordsman ultraman's suit? Before in the series the ultraman suits withstood lot more serious stuff without a scratch.

In the end nothing was even answered (only that Bemular is the real ultraman, all others are just wannabe-s, it was pretty obvious though intergalactic police officer talked with him and then after that he said to crab mechaninc "now I have taken this form" or something). I guess Production I.G. maybe was only responsible for the art, because everything else was seriously messed up.
imSOuniqueMay 4, 2019 4:10 PM
Jun 29, 2019 5:03 PM

Oct 2015
Shinjiro breaking the limiter himself and using the specium ray was really fire, I guess he's the true Ultraman from all those guys. As for Bemular, I think he is too an ultraman, I really want to know his identity. I always knew Jack was a suspicious one, he's too mysterious and shady. I hope Shinjiro will kick his ass next time. I don't trust Edo, he seems to emanate some suspicious vibes too- I wonder what is his true end goal? I'm glad Seiji will be saved, because I want to see Yuko and her backstory- why is she important to the story or to him! So many mysterious in this show and we are still unravelling them.

Overall this was good show with a rich story line full of mystery, enjoyable to a person looking for a good plot. I didn't like the CGi on characters faces and body movements, but I liked it on the Ultramen suits and the background. It was a tolerable animation but not the best though. Shinjiro sometimes annoyed the F out of me, but most anime protagonists are usually like that- so I didn't mind. The final episode was great and it made me look forward to the next season for the remaining suspense.

7/10
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jul 19, 2019 12:33 AM

Oct 2008
I thought Bemular was a antagonist!?
maybe he is the salvation saviour under the mask!?
5/5.

Aug 6, 2019 6:20 AM

Nov 2010
The show as a whole is... a poor plot SF anime made by 3D CG characters. Character design and voice acting are good. Although the animation of humans are poor, the motion at the battle scenes are cool. If the show was made as a mere speedy action entertainment anime, it should have been a better product. Anyway it's worth watching for the battle scenes and the SF effects.
Sep 13, 2019 8:06 AM

May 2012
The only thing I can really say about this is that I just can't stand this type of cgi... In general the models were pretty solid but animation and shading all felt lacking. That said it had a way too open ending imo and also a rather lackluster final battle.

All in all though it was pretty okay, but nothing too impressive either and I know they could have done better.
Oct 22, 2019 12:38 PM

Nov 2009
This was quite a bit better than expected. Everybody and their mother being Ultraman is not a good thing, and 2 out 3 Ultrament being just kids not helping, but fights were pretty awesome, the no-nonsense Moroboshi on the cast somewhat balanced out those 2 brats, and the plot was intriguing enough, so yeah, my expectations are impressively exceeded. The only boring stuff was Shinjirou angsting and being indecisive and some of the stuff with that idol whcih also sometimes felt pretty stupid, but overall, this series is a pleasant surprise and quite solid, so 8/10, and can't wait for season2.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Dec 17, 2019 4:07 AM

Jan 2009
holy shit the last episode delivered so well but sadly the rest of the show is so slow pace and kinda boring but the rule of cool on the fights are really good

now waiting for season 2 in April
Jul 5, 2020 6:43 PM
Jun 2020
Amazing episode!!! My suspicion was true about that Bemlar! I’m really loving the fighting scenes and the twists! Season 2 come to me!
Jul 7, 2020 1:11 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Well it was fine, especially thanks to the great CGI and awesome fights, the story itself was quite classic but I liked the characters.
Sep 4, 2020 2:39 PM

Feb 2017
The fight scenes and choreography this episode definitely showed the advantages of 3D, but the characters' faces did not emote that well the entire season. We have seen the pros and cons of 3D animation with this series. The story itself was okay. There are many unanswered questions and story-threads left dangling, to be hopefully picked up in season 2.
Feb 21, 2021 4:08 PM
Dec 2011
Raikiri29 said:
Just a question for people who remember the manga, when Shinjirou shot his Spacium beam in this episode, Ide was surprised he can do it. Does he mean, that Shinjiro shoot a real Spacium beam from his super power and not from the armor ?

A bit late to the party but apparently so. In one of the earlier episodes, the ace killers boss shot and broke the Specium blade thing on Shinjiro's right arm. So he shouldn't be able to use the suit's specium ray. He's apparently using his own natural Specium Ray ability just like the original Ultraman.

Considering Specium Ray is Ultraman's signature move, i think it symbolized Shinjiro being a fullfledged Ultraman. A REAL Ultraman and not just some guy with a suit. Hence why it's such a big deal to Ide and the others.
Jun 26, 2021 9:03 AM
May 2020
joshua10red said:
The story was pretty interesting..but that CGI was so bad
Final score 6/10

yikes saying cgi was so bad, do you have sao as fav anime...??
Feb 22, 2022 4:06 PM

Sep 2012
I cannot wait until season 2... because I really hope it takes the story in better directions that this crap. I love the concept of this anime a lot, it's got

• a tie to classic tokusatsu
  • iron man style mech suits
  • bad CG animation

which are all things I like. But somehow it was just really bad IMO.

Shinjiro was so bad as a character, and I do not think he earned any of his hero developments. It felt like he just whined and kept trying to show he could be a hero without undergoing any actual character development. His only development was when he unlocked new powers.

Rena was just... omg. I get that she meets a lot of people as a pop idol, but she didn't remember Shinjiro after he scared off those guys that were bothering her? And she didn't remember him a second time after that? Then she drops "I want to meet ultraman... to tell him he sucks cause he killed my mom during a battle", and the story treats it as if she's the first person in the world to feel this way and it's a totally radical idea. DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY BUILDINGS FALL IN AN ULTRAMAN FIGHT?? So many more people have died in Ultraman battles besides your mom!!

And the battle at the concert was just so weird. Maybe it worked better in the manga, but having to listen to all the dialogue in real time made for such long, awkward stretches of people just talking while they are prepared to kill each other. And then the bad guy just says "sorry guys, I made my point. See ya!"... I was speechless at how dumb that sequence was.

AND while the CG was bad, which I'm usually into, this was so middle of the road that I couldn't even enjoy it for being bad.

Sorry, I wasn't planning on ranting this much, but I just can't believe how thoroughly they squandered the potential of this premise.
Mar 27, 2022 1:05 PM
Sep 2020
great ending need season 2 asap
May 21, 2022 6:21 PM
Oct 2020
Stopped watching after the super boring first episode but glad that I gave it another go again!

The ending fight scenes and the music were epic! Great to have season 2!
ProxeyMay 21, 2022 6:26 PM
Jan 9, 2023 12:39 PM

Feb 2009
great ending and episode. First season was good and entertaining, 7/10
Dec 30, 2023 5:10 AM
Dec 2023
I know it was trying to be its own thing but... It just didn't feel like ultraman .-.
It feels now like any generic gritty crime fight anime. And without the crutch of Spectacular giant monster fights it was kinda ehhh for me. Forgot everything that happened in the story.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ultraman Episode 6 Discussion

Tsarko - Apr 2, 2019

10 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 26, 11:38 AM

Poll: » Ultraman Episode 5 Discussion

Tsarko - Apr 1, 2019

5 by RGreatDanton »»
Dec 30, 2023 9:04 PM

Poll: » Ultraman Episode 4 Discussion

Tsarko - Apr 1, 2019

8 by StarLordTG »»
Dec 20, 2022 12:28 AM

Poll: » Ultraman Episode 11 Discussion

Tsarko - Apr 2, 2019

8 by Mack_Yeager »»
Mar 27, 2022 12:12 PM

Poll: » Ultraman Episode 9 Discussion

Tsarko - Apr 2, 2019

8 by Mack_Yeager »»
Mar 26, 2022 3:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.