Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 6, 2019 8:04 AM
Jul 2018
Seeing as these two anime have come out in close proximity to each other, what is you take on the superior one.

Even though I am well aware that they are both good shows (got through four episodes of slime and have seen the first episode of shield), I am of the opinion that shield has gripped me more than the first four episodes of slime.

But what is your opinion, the anime community has not seen this many great isekai anime simultaneously before within the span of one season.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 6, 2019 8:07 AM
Jan 2018
GoatWeaboo said:
Seeing as these two anime have come out in close proximity to each other, what is you take on the superior one.

Even though I am well aware that they are both good shows (got through four episodes of slime and have seen the first episode of shield), I am of the opinion that shield has gripped me more than the first four episodes of slime.

But what is your opinion, the anime community has not seen this many great isekai anime simultaneously before within the span of one season.

Slime anime obviously so far, it is simply fun to watch.
Jan 6, 2019 8:16 AM

Apr 2016
You sound like if those two completely unrelated shows were some kind of a form of quality or something.
Jan 6, 2019 8:19 AM

Nov 2011
Between those two, it depend on how much depth the characters in Tate have. So far Slime's characters are mostly one dimensional.

The best Isekai is Alicization btw.

Jan 6, 2019 8:46 AM
May 2017
KaiserNazrin said:
Between those two, it depend on how much depth the characters in Tate have. So far Slime's characters are mostly one dimensional.

You think so? Episode 10 pretty much made me laugh out loud, the whole episode was hilarious. SAO is still an average Isekai.
Jan 6, 2019 8:48 AM

Mar 2017
GoatWeaboo said:
[...]

the anime community has not seen this many great isekai anime simultaneously before within the span of one season.

Huh, that's news to me. Fake news, to be more precise.

Just between the two, I pick Slime, because it is self-aware.

KaiserNazrin said:

Because Slime is borderline parody and has a lower narrative ceiling by design than Alicization, which has I think 50 episodes total, giving it more time to improve, yeah, I'm inclined to agree. But since we're talking in terms of potential, not actual, merit so it could still change when they finish airing.
EankiJan 6, 2019 8:51 AM
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Jan 6, 2019 8:52 AM
Dec 2018
If the shield hero is done right following the LN. it can beat slime and even SAO
Jan 6, 2019 10:23 AM

Sep 2012
Well seems like people taking the bait so I had to:
KaiserNazrin said:

OT: Those two are not related so your argument is invalid OP.
Jan 6, 2019 12:57 PM

Dec 2015
Nothing beats Goblin Slayer. (To bad it didn't go full 2-cour immediately and we have to wait.) Slime weren't enough humans for me and I did not like the slime.

Shield hero seems okay for now. I'll have to wait for a few more episodes since it just started and the main is starting to form his party. The "game stuff" is weird and unnecessary. Also the main was stupid in episode 1. Depends on how the other chars are and how the main will develop. (He already seems to learn quickly in adapting his behavior. Also the shield seems powerful with lots of hidden potential.)
Jan 6, 2019 1:16 PM

Mar 2007
GoatWeaboo said:

Shield. It just reminds me so much of how I played fallout 3 with the villainous slave traders. Surely he will change into a goody two shoes but he makes a great heel.
Jan 6, 2019 1:41 PM
Nov 2011
Well when it comes to characters Shield Hero is stronger. There is a strong expectation People will be fawning over Raphtalia after 2 weeks
Jan 6, 2019 1:54 PM

May 2015
From just one episode it seems like Shield can go wrong on so many levels, for the Slime we have half of the series already aired and so far there weren't as much heated debates about it. My prediction is that Slime would be either absolutely loved or deemed mediocre, while Shield would receive more hate alongside with devoted fans.
Jan 6, 2019 2:43 PM

Dec 2013
I'm strongly biased towards shieldbro, but slime is good aswell.
Jan 6, 2019 5:34 PM

Dec 2014
Hard to say... they are both Isekkai, but they are vastly different. One is a slime, that gathers strong comrades, and builds with them a village that in time becomes a nation - the most advanced and powerful nation in that world. The other one, is an underdog, with an unpopular power that he develops so much that it makes him into the strongest hero. There aren't any similarities, honestly other than both being Isekkai, and both protagonist having some unique type of power. Is like comparing SAO with Overlord.

Personally, I am up to date with Slime and don't miss a chapter, while when it some to shield, I am hyped up for the anime, because I didn't touch the manga, in at least 2 years, and it gives me the chance to catch up now. I started both since the first chapter of each was launched... Shield is on hold since chapter 15 or so, while Slime has already 50 chapters, and I didn't miss any. So I guess for me Slime may be more enjoyable... I love stories that put more effort into world-building than protagonist building... but we will see.

From my point of view, they are both high tier anime, with different flavors, so I think peoples will enjoy both equally and at the end will say that those are good times, to be an anime fan XD
Jan 6, 2019 5:35 PM

Apr 2014
im gonna go with slime for now
but if that spider one gets an anime...
Jan 6, 2019 5:43 PM
Feb 2012
RedPlaty said:

yes it's getting an anime
Jan 6, 2019 5:43 PM

Apr 2018
I binge readed the first 50 manga chapters of shield hero, it's a monthly manga series so there's only 50 chapters, and I gotta say that I couldn't stop reading. Slime-kun is great but shield guy is in another level.
A lone warrior surviving hundreds of battles, when it comes to losing, I'm the strongest.
Jan 6, 2019 5:47 PM

Apr 2014
ahneeme said:
RedPlaty said:

holy heck i did not know this
thanks mate
Jan 6, 2019 7:28 PM

Oct 2010
Slime bored me in the first episode, but it was never bad, just self-absorbed in its own world and logic.

Shield from this very first episode sounds like a quite worse thought out worldbuilding, it's bland, and it's infuriating for reasons that are not exactly the ones the show intends to evoke.

Can't say that it won't get better, but at this point Slime was just slight apathy and compared to Shield, it is a clear win.
Jan 6, 2019 7:32 PM

Jul 2015
Slime isn't exactly impressing me so ShieldBro just has to be entertaining to be the better one, episode 1 was solid... but so I thought of Slime, so we will see.
Jan 6, 2019 7:37 PM
Nov 2015
Cannot say which one is great.

It's depend who give great anime adaptation.

I like both so I hope both anime success as modern isekai.

Because many shitty isekai release, we really happy finally after barrage of bad isekai, Good isekai / true isekai anime release to save the isekai gendre.
Jan 6, 2019 7:44 PM

May 2018
Shield Hero is a serious series, Slime is a comedy. The first episode of Shield Hero is already more entertaining than the first 10 episodes of Slime. So I'm going with Shield Hero.

Luthandorius said:
Nothing beats Goblin Slayer. (To bad it didn't go full 2-cour immediately and we have to wait.) Slime weren't enough humans for me and I did not like the slime.

Goblin Slayer is not isekai

RedPlaty said:
im gonna go with slime for now

Yeah, if Spider comes out this year, both Shield Hero and Slime won't stand a chance.
Jan 6, 2019 8:07 PM

Jul 2017
Rather than seeing both series as just "Which is better?", it's better to think that Slime is a character-building world which everyone is working for prosperity and for the better, while Shield Hero is the classic underdog Isekai, knows nothing but also works his own way up the ladder.

Both are amazing Isekai series in their own right.
Jan 6, 2019 11:32 PM

Jun 2017
I will binge watch both after they end and hold my judgement before that.
Jan 7, 2019 12:27 AM
Sep 2017
Another anime, another excuse for Pedophilic Romance to be fine.

Jan 7, 2019 12:27 AM

Jun 2016
Slime imo. Didn't read the source but I did read the source for shield and I honestly am surprised they made such an entertaining first episode, but don't really expect it to remain at such a high score as the series continues.

Jan 7, 2019 1:30 AM

May 2012
After watching 1st episode, I say that Shield has the chance to beat Slime. It is too early to say without watching more episodes.
Jan 7, 2019 1:57 AM
Nov 2017
Slime is literally the best thing since sliced bread for me right now, shield seems like it’s going to be good but I’m kind of sick of video game iseksi slime is a definite masterpiece so far!
Jan 7, 2019 3:53 AM
Jan 2018
Two completely different tones and series you can compare them .

Sheild hero pretty much has the whole of ANN staff bashing the series. And attempt to make it fail

While slimes controversy is "oh no they took away her cute fang and pointless face paint" but turns out the fang is still there.

Jan 7, 2019 4:09 AM
Oct 2018
I’m strongly biased on ShieldHero based on the first episode
Jan 7, 2019 4:15 AM
Apr 2018
RedPlaty said:
ahneeme said:

thanks mate

what is the spider one name?
is it Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou?
https://myanimelist.net/manga/88923/Arifureta_Shokugyou_de_Sekai_Saikyou
Jan 7, 2019 4:44 AM

Jan 2018
Last time I checked Slime wasn't trying to appeal to incels
Jan 7, 2019 5:43 AM
Dec 2018
After reading through the Web Novel, I am biased toward Slime.
It truly depends on which main character you prefer: an all loving hero with a good sense of comedy (Slime) or a darker hero with a strong desire for revenge (Shield).
Jan 7, 2019 6:11 AM

Jan 2015
both are fucking garbage, there is no such thing as good isekai
Jan 7, 2019 6:22 AM

Sep 2018
AnimeSucks420 said:

Yeah you r correct.. Oh wait what's that in your favorite an isekai which started all this and probably the worst one too?

We are all Misanthropes

Made you learn

Jan 7, 2019 6:23 AM

Jan 2013
Are you guys seriously picking this over Slime... sigh.
Jan 7, 2019 6:28 AM
Aug 2016
soime wn i don't hate read it until the end, shield i stoopeed in the middle si all the way slime
Jan 7, 2019 6:46 AM

Oct 2014
LeTunKit96 said:
RedPlaty said:

thanks mate

what is the spider one name?
is it Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou?
https://myanimelist.net/manga/88923/Arifureta_Shokugyou_de_Sekai_Saikyou

No, it's this:

https://myanimelist.net/manga/95012/Kumo_desu_ga_Nani_ka (LN)
https://myanimelist.net/manga/95353/Kumo_desu_ga_Nani_ka (manga)
https://myanimelist.net/anime/37984/Kumo_Desu_ga_Nani_ka (anime, didn't air yet)
Jan 7, 2019 10:41 AM

Jan 2015
Bloe said:
AnimeSucks420 said:

Yeah you r correct.. Oh wait what's that in your favorite an isekai which started all this and probably the worst one too?

keep your shit taste for yourself thanks
Jan 7, 2019 12:10 PM

Sep 2014
KaiserNazrin said:

holy shit you are right, alicization is also isekai.

wow, just wow. Just when I thought "Everything is isekai these days" is actually wrong, we get a shit ton of them.

Seriously, what is up with all the generic isekais getting so popular? Not just popular, but highly rated as well?

They arent even that good, fun to watch maybe, but why is nobody thinking about the plot? the characters?

Slime has 0 character and also no plot. The single best character was only there for 2 or 3 episodes, then died off anticlimactically.

Im certain it will be the same fot shield dude as well.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jan 7, 2019 9:14 PM

Jun 2017
Where's the poll?! I'm here for poll but more importantly let them end first
Jan 7, 2019 9:24 PM

Apr 2013
These two are different and can't really be compared apple to apple. Let's just say Slime is superior if you want something fun and relaxing to watch, while Shield have better potential if you're looking for an isekai with a more serious tone
Jan 7, 2019 9:45 PM

Apr 2018
Wonder when i will get a second season of the best isekai out there aka the ngnl franchise
AkerakaiJan 7, 2019 9:49 PM
Jan 7, 2019 11:09 PM
Jun 2015
Slime and it's not even close. This is like comparing Avengers 1 and Infinity War to BvS and JLA with Slime being the former and Shield Hero the latter.
Jan 7, 2019 11:19 PM

Aug 2018
Akerakai said:
Wonder when i will get a second season of the best isekai out there aka the ngnl franchise
Hope springs eternal.
Jan 8, 2019 12:46 AM
Jun 2016
hard to say they are both in my top two :>

But if they don't mess it up the real answer is spider :>
Jan 8, 2019 8:24 PM

Mar 2009
Slime. It's charming, despite all the usual isekai tropes.
Jan 8, 2019 8:37 PM

Apr 2014
Slime, its charming, I can turn off my brain and watch cute slime doing cute things, unlike shield which have one suffer through a giant pussy's whining and the author's piss poor attempt at being "serious, no rly".
"You had no free will, you chased your vices along the same path as all of the others." - Shikieiki Yamaxanadu, Diamond in the rough
Jan 8, 2019 9:10 PM

Sep 2015
Well slime is trash like overlord because of a Mary Sue MC.
While Shieldbro has an actual character arc and has to work to develop his powers and reputation.
Its not even a competition.
The opinions of people with shit taste, such as yourself, may differ of course.
Feb 13, 2019 4:15 PM

Mar 2016
I always say that an episode can make or break a show. But that isn't a straight up rule. A series with a bad start can have a good episode but it does nothing to the change my vote on the series. The damage is done. On the other hand a good show with one bad episode can ruin it completely. And that's pretty much where Slime and Tate are.
The first 4 episodes of Tate made nothing for me. I did appreciate a little bit the change of Naofumi but pretty much nothing more. I know 0 about him before he's made the Shield hero. Episode 5 was ok to say the least. Different but ok. Episode 6 was the first one that I enjoy yet not in a big length. Filo was a masterful addition but from here on we need more of her or her character will just die.
Slime on the other hand has a guy with a very relatable life and very relatable desires (who got killed for some reason). In 2 episodes Slime did what took Tate 4 to do; establishing everything before going on an adventure (and did it much better). Besides kind of one dimensional, the side characters of Slime are much more interesting to me than anyone in Tate (who are also very one dimensional (probably even more)).
And of course the big bad of the fight. Rimuru and Shizu vs Raphtalia and Naofumi. If I had to pick one Rimuru and Shizu without any doubt left in my mind. I guess the key point here is time. Rimuru had time to be a character and then have a ''love affair'' while Naofumi just got Raphtalia and she's the one falling for him. Cliche stuff. She even gets bigger so it can happen. Also again, Naofumi is a very uninteresting character from the beginning of the show. I feel that they failed to capture anything from him. The only thing I could feel was pitty for the way he was treated but nothing more.
Also, if we enter in the animation and music department, Slime too. Someway, somehow, the music in Tate is not there. Nothing memorable. I barely remember hearing it. And that's not good. It's made by Kevin Penkin.
Anyway, it's still soon. I already have an opinion in both but I prefer waiting for both series to finish and then give a final opinion.
azertz99Feb 13, 2019 7:40 PM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2019

546 by ridly »»
May 6, 7:00 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2019

243 by ridly »»
May 6, 6:22 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2019

271 by Der_Body »»
Apr 26, 9:56 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2019

169 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 26, 8:10 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2019

195 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 26, 7:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.