Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 4, 2018 6:34 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Man, I really wish they make the action worth watching. It's still all over the place.

Looks like we got the stuff about Dragon this episode. The only thing that made this episode felt more impactful is how destructive the Dragon is. That Mutsuki/Saiko scene though.
Stark700Dec 4, 2018 9:28 AM
Dec 4, 2018 7:58 AM
May 2017
hey, the pacing nearly made sense. This episode is a 10/10 compared to the rest. I will now give this show a 4 and not a 3.
Dec 4, 2018 8:14 AM

Jun 2009
the mutsuki vs saiko and urie was amazing and a desperated scene in the manga where they gave all too get mutsuki back to their side -- but this was really a fast change of mind on Mutsukis side and made it seem like a joke

anyways the join the forces with ccg and Ghouls was nice as well as having hide speak again
Dec 4, 2018 8:42 AM

Sep 2018
One of the better episodes they got the quinx squad a bit of Development but still the it wasnt perfect
Dec 4, 2018 8:51 AM

Apr 2017
Time for my weekly shit talking about the episode.. or not?

Tsukiyama scene was a little fast, but still wonderful. As far as pacing goes for the episode, it wasn't awful. Still had parts that were stupidly fast. They easily could have stretched out the team up scene just for suspense reasons, cause they're literally enemies deciding to work together, there's no way in hell that interaction took less than 5 minutes to get everyone on board with it. There was barely any hesitation and it was just line after line with no breaks. Doesn't seem right.
I can't say too much more about it since they passed the point that I was at in the manga, but overall I didn't think this episode was all that bad, which is fucking insane for me to say after ripping on every other episode this season. Obviously there's still issues that I picked out, but it was a solid episode compared to the others. If they would have had it this way from the start, we'd be looking at a completely different adaptation, it wouldn't be amazing, but it would be better.

Also, they left out Hide's dove joke, that upset me.

I love to talk anime and manga, feel free to message me!
Dec 4, 2018 8:54 AM

Dec 2012
I can't count how many times was Urie pierced in the chest and this boi is still alive like a fucking ghoul lol.

Mod edit: added spoiler tag
BrandonDec 5, 2018 12:06 AM
Dec 4, 2018 9:05 AM

Jan 2018
This episode is little better compared to others

One of my favourite character from this series will be in the next episode well it will be inside Kaneki's mind but still worth it
Dec 4, 2018 9:13 AM
Jun 2017
Love this episode, as now ghouls and humans agree to be together in one mission and that is to retrieve kaneki' body inside that monster.

It looks like kaneki's dream is about to be fulfill. Lets see the final few episodes remaining...
Dec 4, 2018 9:23 AM
Oct 2018
urie got stabbed in chest.

feel nothing and keep talking.

lmao.
Dec 4, 2018 9:25 AM

Nov 2016
I enjoyed this episode quite a bit, especially the moment where humans and ghouls joined forces. The OST is so good.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 4, 2018 9:40 AM

Feb 2018
Dust_Eyezz said:
hey, the pacing nearly made sense. This episode is a 10/10 compared to the rest. I will now give this show a 4 and not a 3.

Same here. I think it was the best episode. I was sooo happy when Hide came back cus I just didn't know he will - I can't wait to read manga from the beginning.

It hurts me so much because this could be so fantasting! I hope it will get reboot,
Dec 4, 2018 10:10 AM

Jun 2014
Still not a great episode by any stretch, but compared to others, this one was practically a godsend. Ok, that's definitely an exaggeration, but it didn't feel as rushed as previous episodes.....which is something I've noticed in this season especially: the episodes with a bunch of action seem like rushed clusterfucks, while setup episodes like this, with mostly dialogue, feel less rushed.

I'm glad they kept the Tsukiyama scene in there since I really liked that part. It's unfortunate that the scene with the CCG and Ghouls agreeing to come together was rushed, since it makes it look like the CCG flip-flopped too easily. The Mutsuki thing at the end suffered the same fate, but hey, I've come to expect that from this season.

They better not fuck up next episode's conversation with Rize (I don't think this is a spoiler since it's literally the whole preview), but come on.....we know they will lol.

Oh yeah, just in case any non-manga readers were wondering, Hide actually said this when he was asked why he's so willing to save Kaneki:
thebrentinator24Dec 4, 2018 11:17 AM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Dec 4, 2018 10:13 AM

Jul 2017
Man, all the Hide stuff doesn't make any sense following rootA's ending, especially the reason

Also wished they showed some of the dragon moving at least before straight away cutting to its paused phase but oh well, at least they didn't create it using butchered CG
Dec 4, 2018 10:17 AM

Feb 2013
Kaneki's dream is coming true, ghouls and humans are working together.
Dec 4, 2018 10:17 AM

Mar 2016
They didn't skip a lot this episode. However, because of all the things that have been skipped till now, a lot of the things that happened here was meaningless.

Kaneki decided that his goal was to unite humans and ghouls. He kept on failing and now he's killing those that he always wanted to save. Hide ended up fulfilling Kaneki's wish, even though Kaneki has never talked about it with him. It was mentioned quite early in TG that Hide has an intuitive understanding of Kaneki. Here, he shows it. It was supposed to be an emotional scene, but the anime made it quite underwhelming.

Hide easily admits he likes Kaneki. That was also an important scene that lost its impact. In the horrible world of TG, Hide's love for Kaneki was so innocent and pure. I don't know what kind of love that is, but the anime makes it look like the words were meaningless.

The fight between Urie and crazy Mutsuki ended with the former getting stabbed by the latter. Remember that time when Urie had gone mad, and Mutsuki had let Urie stab her?

Nishiki and Kimi met while getting coffee. For their reunion, Nishiki brings her a can of coffee.

The best scene was when Tsukiyama started crying and screaming when Itori had called Kaneki a murderer. I actually felt the same emotion I had felt when reading the manga. Thank you Miyano Mamoru for doing such an amazing job. He really showed us why he is better than all the other voice actors he was working with.

Am I the only one who thought the characters' heads looked quite off this episode? They appeared big and round in a lot of the scenes.

I really hope Pierrot doesn't cut out the scene where Ayato screams 'SUSUME---!!!'
I want to hear how Eren's actor would sound like saying that line.
Dec 4, 2018 10:37 AM

May 2018

GAY............................................................................
Dec 4, 2018 10:40 AM

Oct 2013
Epic episode in terms of literally everything! It's a shame that the whole anime was not like that
Dec 4, 2018 10:47 AM
Sep 2017
omoi11 said:
urie got stabbed in chest.

feel nothing and keep talking.

lmao.

Why's that a surprise, though? The same has been happening with everyone.
Sunny_goDec 4, 2018 11:59 AM
Dec 4, 2018 11:23 AM

Jul 2017
This was a bad episode but not as bad as some of the other episodes recently. I already disliked this portion of the manga and the anime somehow makes shit look 10x worse.

I know the pacing for this was better handled compared to other episodes but still, I just struggle to give a shit because the buildup to the unity was so poor.
Dec 4, 2018 11:23 AM

Aug 2018
Wasn't Hide dead !!!
Dec 4, 2018 11:38 AM
Jul 2017
20 minutes and nothing happend
Dec 4, 2018 11:56 AM

Jan 2013
i want my 5 minutes of walking from that awful Root A ending back
dannymilkDec 4, 2018 12:03 PM
Dec 4, 2018 11:58 AM
Nov 2018
I’m bitter over them cutting the ‘because I love him’ line. It was such a great moment in the manga and they just ruined it.
Dec 4, 2018 12:04 PM
Aug 2018
I really enjoyed it. Im really glad that Hide is alive. Tsukiyama - san deserves to get a piece of Kaneki
Dec 4, 2018 12:18 PM

Jul 2014
Just three more episodes to go and this nonsensical trainwreck will finally be over. As frustrating as it is proving to be, I know I can get through these final few episodes.
Dec 4, 2018 1:45 PM

Aug 2017
a little too late to start improving so sad
Dec 4, 2018 2:05 PM
Nov 2017
My Hide is back! And this episode was good (compared to all the others) because the OST from previous seasons returned <3
Dec 4, 2018 2:09 PM

Jun 2017
The pacing was more among the lines of reality this time lol.
Dec 4, 2018 2:19 PM

Mar 2016
i hate that they cut out the "because i love him" line, god forbid we have hide say he loves his best friend.

Dec 4, 2018 2:20 PM
Jan 2018
Only good thing was original soundtrack used
Dec 4, 2018 2:32 PM

Oct 2013
NeonZ3C0 said:
Wasn't Hide dead !!!

No, it has already been revealed in the previous' episode that he survived.
Dec 4, 2018 2:38 PM

Dec 2017
Alright, sweet. We finally got a mediocre episode that slows the pacing down a little. Can't wait to see how they adapt next episode.
Dec 4, 2018 4:20 PM
Jan 2017
aa, this episode is feel sad for me,,
i dont know why but i cry when mutsuki meet urie and yonebayashi,,
Dec 4, 2018 5:00 PM

Oct 2015
So they left the decision to Suzuya, shows how much the organization appreciates his work.

Now that the investigators and ghouls are working together to stop Kaneki, this will surely bring them a bit of peace after this. Kaneki is bringing peace without realizing it.

As for the Mutsuki part, I felt it was stupid and pointless. Did she want to kill them or kill herself, which one was it? Such a stupid scenario that was for real.

Good episode,
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 4, 2018 5:18 PM

Mar 2015
lihle808 said:
So they left the decision to Suzuya, shows how much the organization appreciates his work.

Now that the investigators and ghouls are working together to stop Kaneki, this will surely bring them a bit of peace after this. Kaneki is bringing peace without realizing it.

As for the Mutsuki part, I felt it was stupid and pointless. Did she want to kill them or kill herself, which one was it? Such a stupid scenario that was for real.

Good episode,

She wanted them to kill her, she was pretty much suicidal
Dec 4, 2018 8:23 PM
Mar 2015
Mutsi you know we love you
Dec 5, 2018 3:39 AM

Jan 2016
x2kill4 said:
aa, this episode is feel sad for me,,
i dont know why but i cry when mutsuki meet urie and yonebayashi,,

The same thing happens to me.
Life is strange

Dec 5, 2018 6:04 PM

Dec 2010
Oh boy, that was a total mess. Total retardation of a show. Let`s go:

1. CCG are fighting a city destroying threat. But it was Tsukiyama Mirumo(Shuu dad) who supplied them with numerous metal detectors. Just because of the prime minister's immense aid.

Do you really want me to believe that CCG were not able to get this? Fighting against the biggest ghoul out there? Oh yes, they would definitely not get it even if they asked! Definitely. But prime minister`s acquaintance? Sure. Makes sense.

2. Did they really tried to justify the Doctor Mengele`s equivalent? Just what the fuck really? "People will finally realize how much they can help out the medical field". And he worked for CCG? What the actual fuck? Oh sure we defenitely need to feel a little bit sympathy for someone who ruined numerous lifes and was happy torturing people, giving them fate worse than death.

WTF!

3. How did even Furuta plan this? His goal was to turn Kaneki into a "dragon". But the plan is totally random. What if Kaneki died there? He did not even order Mutsuki to go after Touka or anyone that is important to Kaneki. The thing just happened and then Furuta is like "Just According to Keikaku".

4. The whole scene with ghouls talking about what Kaneki has done for them felt like some days have passed but the event has clearly just happened. Anti-climatic.

5. They teamed up with barely a hesitation. And that was okay. But right after it they split into quinx and ghouls searching for Kaneki and CCG fighting ghoul-like creatures again. Felt anti-climatic.
'
6. Just kill the friggin Mutsuki. What a shitty character. "He knew that I am a girl" and what? Yonebayashi is also a girl and nobody has a problem with it.

I would not even start about Hide. I do not even care when someone dies. They all always coming back. And Urie is immortal.
Dec 5, 2018 9:16 PM
Aug 2018
Hide's back! Sad that they skipped the dove joke and Hide taking off the mask for Touka. Best scene would probably be Tsukiyama screaming when the ghouls talked about Kaneki murdering people. Saiko-chan was cute.
Dec 6, 2018 1:41 PM

Jan 2017
Me being a non-manga watcher of this anime, it was going alright.... but this episode had me so annoyed; after all of that tension between ghouls and human, they've, to an extent, resolved the issue, all too simplistically; it was too happy. Too easy.
Yeah, I get that what's happening affects everyone, but this is ignores everything that's happened until now.
Bit ashamed, to say the least.
Dec 7, 2018 6:22 PM

May 2014
Hide:

"What's up guys i'm back after i died but not really, i simply hid for years, oh and i think i'm gay now"

i love tokyo ghoul.
Dec 8, 2018 2:28 PM
Sep 2014
I have never watched a anime so confusing in my life. Hide all of a sudden is alive. No explanation. Mutsuki is trying to kill her friends for a piss poor reason and gets angry because Kaneki knew she was a girl?

Kaneki has some new abilities. Making minions out of his Kagune. How is that even possible. Are they even going to explain that ability. The action was meh.

This story may be one of the worst i've seen. Im not a manga reader so I am so lost now. Well to be honest I've been lost from episode 1 but at this point the whole story and even the plot is starting to fall apart. How would Furuta possibly have known that Kaneki would end up like that. Its all nonsensical.
Dec 9, 2018 9:58 AM

Jun 2012
Hide actually says he loves him in the anime, it's just that the awesome streaming services we have, translated it too "I like the dude"...
It looks like the people working the subs are in denial or think that a shounen series can't have a normal character openly being gay.
SnaitaDec 9, 2018 10:01 AM
Dec 11, 2018 4:24 PM

Mar 2015
Snaita said:
Hide actually says he loves him in the anime, it's just that the awesome streaming services we have, translated it too "I like the dude"...
It looks like the people working the subs are in denial or think that a shounen series can't have a normal character openly being gay.

"Shonen"

TG is seinen though. I suppose the anime could be called shonen though with how fucking simplified it is.

Dec 12, 2018 3:42 AM

Jun 2012
MightyM16 said:
Snaita said:

"Shonen"

TG is seinen though. I suppose the anime could be called shonen though with how fucking simplified it is.

It's Shõnen or Shounen. Õ = ou and ~U = uu, I don't get it cause I don't really know Japanese but the amount of titles I searched all had this in common.
I was more referring to the actual age of Hide even though he is an adult but don't looks like it
Dec 12, 2018 10:29 AM

Mar 2015
Snaita said:
MightyM16 said:

"Shonen"

It's Shõnen or Shounen. Õ = ou and ~U = uu, I don't get it cause I don't really know Japanese but the amount of titles I searched all had this in common.
I was more referring to the actual age of Hide even though he is an adult but don't looks like it

Ah I see, Hide has 20 and something so it shouldn't be a problem.
Dec 13, 2018 3:03 AM

Mar 2009
Is there any reason why Hide is covering his mouth? And why does his voice sound so weird?
Dec 13, 2018 7:12 PM
Aug 2017
tearofmankind said:
Oh boy, that was a total mess. Total retardation of a show. Let`s go:

1. CCG are fighting a city destroying threat. But it was Tsukiyama Mirumo(Shuu dad) who supplied them with numerous metal detectors. Just because of the prime minister's immense aid.

Do you really want me to believe that CCG were not able to get this? Fighting against the biggest ghoul out there? Oh yes, they would definitely not get it even if they asked! Definitely. But prime minister`s acquaintance? Sure. Makes sense.

2. Did they really tried to justify the Doctor Mengele`s equivalent? Just what the fuck really? "People will finally realize how much they can help out the medical field". And he worked for CCG? What the actual fuck? Oh sure we defenitely need to feel a little bit sympathy for someone who ruined numerous lifes and was happy torturing people, giving them fate worse than death.

WTF!

3. How did even Furuta plan this? His goal was to turn Kaneki into a "dragon". But the plan is totally random. What if Kaneki died there? He did not even order Mutsuki to go after Touka or anyone that is important to Kaneki. The thing just happened and then Furuta is like "Just According to Keikaku".

4. The whole scene with ghouls talking about what Kaneki has done for them felt like some days have passed but the event has clearly just happened. Anti-climatic.

5. They teamed up with barely a hesitation. And that was okay. But right after it they split into quinx and ghouls searching for Kaneki and CCG fighting ghoul-like creatures again. Felt anti-climatic.
'
6. Just kill the friggin Mutsuki. What a shitty character. "He knew that I am a girl" and what? Yonebayashi is also a girl and nobody has a problem with it.

I would not even start about Hide. I do not even care when someone dies. They all always coming back. And Urie is immortal.

LMAO. Those things you pointed out make sense in the manga but not in the anime because of how rushed it is.
Dec 13, 2018 7:54 PM
Aug 2017
Snaita said:
MightyM16 said:

"Shonen"

This series has been seinen from the start, Hide and Kaneki is 23 now. The way Hide said that is pretty ambiguous since it can mean other type of love, not only romantic.
FYI, shounen and seinen can't have openly gay characters unless they are treated as joke characters like Puri Puri Prisoner in One Punch Man, at most they will keep thing open to interpretation. They can have lesbian but not gay like in Psycho-Pass and Darling in the Franxx. It is simply because of the demographic of shounen and seinen. The target demographic of shounen and seinen are straight males who want to see girls, boobs and panty-shot.If you read Bakuman, you will see a scenario where a female mangaka has to learn to draw ecchi if she wants to survive in the shounen industry.
You can't really ask for lesbian Yuri or ecchi in a shounen-ai or Yaoi manga right? Japanese publishers are really strict about this. The magazine won't allow anything that does not play out according to their policy. If a manga has elements unsuitable to the magazine demographic, the manga will be asked to change publisher or remove them from their manga. That is why you can find gay characters in shoujo like Usotsuki Lily but not shounen.
As a female, I sometimes feel uncomfortable with fan services when reading shounen and seinen but I know and understand that I am not the target those manga intended for so I learn to ignore that.
Dec 14, 2018 1:07 PM

Dec 2010
Himawari9 said:

LMAO. Those things you pointed out make sense in the manga but not in the anime because of how rushed it is.

Thank you very much for the needed insight. Still this is the anime forum and we are talking about the anime. Anime, yes this anime that is supposed to make me read the manga. And you know what? This pile of garbage has discouraged me from reading manga. I am pretty sick about Tokyo Ghoul about viewing this. And I know this is not right because manga is better. Can`t help my stomach though.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Guys are we getting Tokyo Ghoul Brotherhood?

SlimeLordOfRats - Mar 6

23 by shmoomp »»
Apr 21, 1:09 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2018

96 by RapidPhantom »»
Mar 14, 9:59 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re 2nd Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2018

57 by ocrlh_ »»
Jan 20, 10:50 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul:re 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 25, 2018

201 by Cross___ »»
Dec 12, 2023 2:55 PM

» Tokyo Ghoul re: S2 below 6.50

TakaCode - Nov 15, 2018

37 by Tanishqnigam17 »»
Nov 14, 2023 10:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.