Forum Settings
Forums

What is an anime that unexpectedly blew you away?

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 4, 2018 2:30 PM

May 2018
"3-Gatsu no Lion" got me by surprise. It looks like any other slice of life/drama show out there. But the whole cast really grew on me, way more than in any other show of the same genre.
The same goes for "Barakamon" but I'll see the cast slightly less impactful.
Oct 4, 2018 2:34 PM

Dec 2008
Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou (Girls' Last Tour)-it totally blew me away.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Oct 4, 2018 2:41 PM

May 2018
while i knew that the Rurouni Kenshin trust and betrayal OVA's were gonna be good, i did NOT expect like, the overall effect. The animation and art are really good but the perspctive of the shots is what like really got me.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 愛してる *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Oct 4, 2018 2:46 PM

Jul 2015
Pripara, i watched it because there was nothing else to watch and now it's my favourite anime of all time
SUPER CUTIE SUPER STAR
Oct 4, 2018 2:48 PM

Jul 2015
BIGCA7 said:
HANAMATSURI!!! :) SOO funny and lovely and wholesome.

Are you trying to say Hanayamata or Hinamatsuri?
SUPER CUTIE SUPER STAR
Oct 4, 2018 2:58 PM
Sep 2018
VanVeleca said:
BIGCA7 said:

VanVeleca said:
BIGCA7 said:

oops sorry,i did mean to say hinamatsuri
Oct 4, 2018 3:00 PM

Sep 2018
Hmmm my favorite anime surely blew my mind, specially Claymore and Wolf's Rain!
Oct 4, 2018 3:00 PM

Nov 2017
Shinsekai Yori, didn't expect much at first but it was a ride I won't forget
Oct 4, 2018 3:17 PM
Apr 2016
At first i thought gurren lagann will be something happy happy adventure but kamina's death blew me away, it was soo unexpected
Oct 4, 2018 3:51 PM
Jul 2018
i didnt expect anything from violet evergarden but the beautiful animation suprised me. Some episodes were also really emotional it made me cry which was unexpected
Oct 4, 2018 3:52 PM

Nov 2017
Kidou Senkan Nadesico. It started off pretty slow for me, but when it picked up I was all like, "Gotdamn, I love this anime!"
Oct 4, 2018 4:02 PM

Dec 2014
Most recently Asobi Asobase.
I was expecting just another cgdct at first.
Oct 4, 2018 4:02 PM
May 2017
Keijo, surprisingly fun with really entertaining fights
Oct 4, 2018 4:04 PM
Aug 2017
Durarara!
I didn't know what to expect fom it but whatever it was it wasn't this, durarara! Completely blew my tiny little mind!
Oct 4, 2018 4:29 PM

Aug 2015
3x3 Eyes
Ga-Rei: Zero (especially the final)
Kokkoku ...
Oct 4, 2018 4:31 PM

Feb 2018
flip flappers

and made in abyss i guess
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 4, 2018 4:49 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
1) No Game No Life Zero
Expected it to be bait, it actually wasn't. I had a great time with it.

2) Madoka Magica
3) Anohana
Immune to feelsy shows and expected to hate both as they were both marketed to me as the best of their kind out there. Surprise surprise they were pretty entertaining.

4) Totoro
5) Spirited Away
Two overly hyped movies deserving their praise. Most praised anime aren't to my liking.

6) Re:Zero
7) Blend S
Same as the two above but get a separate mention as they're series and not movies.

Oct 4, 2018 4:51 PM

Jun 2016
The first thing that comes to my mind is Toradora!. In trying to broaden my viewing experiences some of my friends were suggesting I watch more rom-coms, so I chose Toradora! since it had a good reputation and I was curious about how such a simple looking show could manage such a reputation.

The cover was right in this case, it is quite a simple show, but one that knows exactly what its doing with itself, which gave it an aura of genuineness that I rarely encounter. Everything from the goofy comedy to the characters and their circumstances quickly grew on me and it's still one of my favorite anime.
Oct 4, 2018 6:20 PM
Apr 2017
For me it was Bleach and Spirited away
Oct 4, 2018 6:27 PM

Aug 2017
Neon Genesis Evangelion and the movie. All of my favourite shows.
NurguburuOct 4, 2018 6:42 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 4, 2018 6:46 PM

Dec 2015
(First Ever Forum Post! Whee~)

There are several shows that people have listed that I agree with. For example, I knew Chihayafuru was in my wheelhouse but I wasn't expecting it to like it as much as I did. I'm looking forward to season 3 and eventually reading the manga. Also have to shout out Psychic Detective Yakumo - I wasn't expecting much from the write-up but it became one of my favorites. I've watched it 5 times and I'm thinking about diving in again!

I think the first one that ever "blew me away" was the Read or Die OVA. It is insane, entertaining, funny, and heartfelt. The OP is awesome as well. I love that OVA so much.
Oct 4, 2018 6:52 PM

Jul 2017
Well, i think it was Madoka Magica. I wasn't expecting nothing from it before watching it to be honest.. But the way the plot developed itself, i just couldn't believe what i was watching, it was a huge surprise for me, also because it was my first mahou shoujo anime. One of the best Psychological Thrillers i've ever seen, and i want to watch it once again for sure.
Oct 4, 2018 7:00 PM

Oct 2017
Fairy Tail blew my mind, well at least in the sense of how bad it was. Gundam 00 I thought looked like shit but turned out to be really good.

Other good ones include:
Hyouka
Darker than black
Maison Ikkoku
Phantom Requiem for the Phantom
-SP-Oct 4, 2018 7:03 PM
Oct 4, 2018 7:01 PM

Jun 2014
Princess Tutu

Name? Sounds stupid.
Art? Doesn't look that great.
Plot synopsis? Seems mediocre as well.

Recipe for a 10/10 anime

           but you can become stronger...

...でもつよくなれるよ                     

Oct 4, 2018 7:19 PM

Nov 2017
- The World God Only Know
- Gate
- Isekai Shokudo

Now Loading.....
Oct 4, 2018 7:22 PM
Feb 2018
Konosuba, Toradora, Clannad afterstory, and Steins;Gate. but I am still "new" to anime
Oct 4, 2018 8:34 PM

Oct 2016
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Tried the 90's OVA a while ago, found them fairly good. Tried JoJo 2012 got through most of Part 1 then stopped, it was good. Very good overall but didn't love Jonathan as the main character, he's still quite good but not quite top tier like the other JoJos IMO. He's like an 8/10 protagonist while the others were 9(Josuke) or 10(Jotaro & Joseph). I figure Giorno & Jolyne will be 9/10 protagonists. Later on watched Part 2 & loved it. I gave a 9 since I found Part 1 to be an 8.5 since supporting cast was great, I found Part 2 to be 9+ since Joseph is fantastic and supporting cast is also great. I stopped watching the other stuff I had on the go & pretty much did rest of Part 1 -> Part 2 -> Part 4 (39 episodes) -> Part 3 remake(48 episodes split into 2 seasons). I did Part 3 remake last since the dub was ongoing, it's now one of my all time favourites. So pretty much 100 episodes of JoJo in a row, I've now seen everything aired from the series so far and pretty excited for Part 5. Part 4 was a consistent 9/10 for me & I'll rewatch when the dub is complete. Part 3 remake was exceptional, I gave it a 10 as it was an instant favourite. Extremely good in all areas and few if any problems, an exceptionally good adaptation of the manga.

Another one, didn't necessarily blow me away in a general sense but in a relative sense to what I expected I'd say it did so. Didn't know what to watch one day so tried Megalo Box. Found it pretty good, gave it a 7 though could've been an 8. I think my exact rating would be 7.5, pretty good for an unknown new IP. I stopped halfway through because of JoJo but I even didn't mind the ending so much that other people seemed to hate and the rating dropped for. If they made a Megalo Box 2 I'd likely watch it.
Oct 4, 2018 8:52 PM

Jul 2013
Akatsuki no Yona (the manga) because i didn't expect Yona to be as she is, instead of a useless, hesitant, reverse harem protagonist

Baccano - the way the story was told blew me away

Silver Spoon - didn't expect to like this one so much, since it's just a farming anime

Gintama- I dropped it so many times, but the Shogun Assassination arc really blew me away and made it one of my favorite anime

Juni Kokuki - another anime I almost dropped but the last arc was really amazing

Made in Abyss- expected little kids. got little kids and more

Yuri on Ice - watched the first ep out of curiosity. while the art got sorta wonky in later episodes, i really loved the use of social media and the characters in the anime. didn't expect this out of a skating anime lol
Oct 4, 2018 8:53 PM

Aug 2018
Neon Genesis for sure. To be honest I've never had much interest in mecha as a concept much less a genre, based on my experience with a handful of other mecha series I went into Eva with extremely low expectations. Needless to say I was absolutely blown away. After finishing the final episode I wasn't merely reevaluating my position towards mecha but my entire perception of what an anime could be. Ever since I have been searching for series which can compare (no luck yet but I'm still trying).
Oct 4, 2018 8:56 PM
Jul 2017
I would say the most recent examples are Re:Zero and Made in Abyss. I avoided watching those shows at first because I thought they were gonna be some generic isekai show or some cute anime lolis doing cute stuff. Those shows took me by surprise and ended up being my favorite anime of the seasons they aired.
Oct 4, 2018 10:24 PM

Jun 2015
hunter hunter

I didnt even mal then, so didnt expect it to be any good, the synopsis reads like its all abt gons daddy issues.
Oct 4, 2018 11:47 PM

Feb 2017
one of my friends wanted to watch kaiji with me and at first judging by how hilariously ugly the characters are i thought it was going to be a bad but funny anime and that my friend was calling it great sarcastically. but no it was actually just great.

also i thought hunter x hunter would be good probably since the fandom is so outspoken about its quality, but i definitely didnt expect it to sink its teeth in me so deep that i consider it my favorite now.
Oct 4, 2018 11:49 PM

Jul 2013
Tsuritama. From synopsis it didn't look like much, but damn is it a refreshing experience.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Oct 4, 2018 11:55 PM

Aug 2015
K-on.... i thought its just another one of those anime when the MC tried her best to gather members and form a band at school... and boy i was wrong.
Oct 5, 2018 12:15 AM

Jul 2015
Made in Abyss, just.. daaaaammn.
Mahoutsukai no Yome, when I heard Lindels voice I teared up, and the animations are beautiful.
Also Girls und Panzer and Sora No Wo To, I love when cute girls are actually serious in animes, but still have some comedy in it.
And Natsume Yuujinchou as well, I never expected much from that series but it's so nice and relaxing to watch.
I definitely don't regret spending my time on those, and I'd happily rewatch them.

It's better this way.
A little lonelier,
but better.

delivery x last.fm
Oct 5, 2018 12:31 AM

Feb 2014
Haikyuu, I only watched it 'cause it was famous, I didn't expect it to be that good
3-gatsu no Lion, it made me come for the shogi and made me stay for the drama
Oct 5, 2018 3:04 AM

May 2015
Perfect Blue , I couldn't stop thinking about it and the aspects it touched for several days after viewing it. Most people I've talk to about Satoshi Kon usually prefer Paprika, Tokyo Godfathers or Paranoya Agent and they mention Perfect Blue just as - yeah, it was cool. But for me its, the best I saw from him and probably anime. I need to re-watch it soon.
Oct 5, 2018 3:06 AM

Jul 2017
My favorites blew me away with how they amaze me.
Oct 5, 2018 3:42 AM

Jun 2016
Both Gankutsuou and Kemono no Souja Erin
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 5, 2018 4:43 AM

Oct 2010
Have to agree with Sora no Woto. I didn't expect it to be so solemn in its approach to war.

And Yuru Camp may be the single most blown away I've been by something I watched completely blindly after trying Azumanga Daioh 9 years ago.
Oct 5, 2018 7:13 AM

Nov 2013
probably princess mononoke, first time watching something animated where the sheer scope of it all completely took my breath away. that and the prince of egypt
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Oct 5, 2018 7:17 AM

Nov 2016
The first episode of Cross Game.

Oct 5, 2018 7:26 AM

Feb 2016
Ping Pong the Animation even though it has a weird art style. The story was unexpectedly great
AniDeMaxOct 5, 2018 7:36 AM

Oct 5, 2018 8:32 AM
Nov 2017
your name. i knew everyone loved it but I always thought it was probably just overhyped so didn't expect too much apart from a decent story and really sick graphics. i think because I didnt expect it to be so good, i was more shocked than i should've been.
clannad after story was something unexpected since i thought itd be kore like the og and nor nearly as heartwrenching
Oct 5, 2018 9:13 AM

May 2018
Revolutionary Girl Utena. I'd watched it once before, but not in full and sorta liked it but with the passing of time, I just came to hate it for no reason at all, but when I watched it properly I was blown away by everything in it.
Oct 5, 2018 10:17 AM
A Monster

May 2018
That would be Saga of Tanya the Evil for me
"Never Give Up Without A Fight" By Zuko
Oct 5, 2018 11:20 AM

Aug 2018
Food Wars

Thought it would be just focussed on ecchi shizzles and all, but after some episodes I was shook on how amusing and cool it was haha.
I'm not a fan of ecchi and fanservice things at all.
Oct 5, 2018 11:27 AM

Mar 2018
After finishing Hunter x Hunter, I thought I would never find another anime that would make me as invested in. But after watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood that completely changed. Those two shows has everything, and few weeks ago I started watching the masterpiece that is Steins;gate and I'm blown away for the second time.
Oct 5, 2018 12:12 PM

Aug 2018
And this shit, best shõnen I've ever seen. I didn't expect those technique details in an anime. Both the movements and strategies are as they would be in the real boxing. Also, it shows how mindfucking is to be a boxer. Its not only to punch, its about thinking, making your oponent unconfortable and how to achieve it.

Oct 5, 2018 2:05 PM
Jul 2018
Only Yesterday, I thought it's going to be boring, but omgeesus it was fantastic. Also Kino's Journey, I wasn't expecting such an emotional roller coaster.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

36 by Jonas-K »»
5 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

112 by Noelle43 »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 3 hours ago

11 by Rhaelynne »»
6 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

82 by Shirayukin »»
11 minutes ago

» Does anyone ever feel like anime is inferior to western television. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

15poundfish - Feb 12, 2017

350 by Lord_Lelouch_ »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.