Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Happy Sugar Life
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Oct 12, 2018 9:05 AM

Dec 2017
What a mess. Props for the bold ending and actually killing a character. One of the most nonsensical series I've seen, I will not miss it.
I didn't feel anything for the characters and what's the reason behind everyone in this city fantasising about the little girl? The auntie was such a forced character. The blonde guy was a nice touch of comedy, but a garbage character like the brother. Nobody's intentions made sense and the protagonists' goal of living a sugar filled life was nothing but a childish fantasy as it would be absolutely impossible unless she had saved millions and had good connections in the country they were going to lmao. Everything about this was so far fetched, I know it's anime and it's fantasy but you still need coherence in the series for it to work.

If this was a girls' love anime, without the completely unnecessary pedophilic element, it would've been a much better series. How Shiyo came up with some of those thoughts in the last couple of episodes, even though she's a child, will forever be a mystery.
sea-lemonOct 12, 2018 9:15 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 15, 2018 4:37 PM

May 2012
Damn that sure was one hell of a sad ending to be honest. This series was quite the emotional ride and had lots of interesting aspects, especially on the whole focus of emotions, parental "abuse" and lots more.

Very interesting and different anime than what I thought of this anime with a name as Happy Sugar Life.

Still it sure amazed me!
Oct 15, 2018 6:45 PM

Aug 2017
This anime was hilarious. This finale was not really great, but I see they tried to make it as thrilling as they can. I forgot that the teacher existed. Shio though...I really understand her feelings on her decision. Asashi really should've thought to himself on the fact that his mom abandoned Shio and never came back for her? What even happened to her?
Anyway, I would genuinely give this a very low score, but hey...who cares? This was shitty and I'm not complaining that it was, but man I gotta say what a ride I had from start to finish.
Sincerely, from Scorpio.

Oct 15, 2018 7:00 PM

Aug 2017
sea-lemon said:
What a mess. Props for the bold ending and actually killing a character. One of the most nonsensical series I've seen, I will not miss it.
I didn't feel anything for the characters and what's the reason behind everyone in this city fantasising about the little girl? The auntie was such a forced character. The blonde guy was a nice touch of comedy, but a garbage character like the brother. Nobody's intentions made sense and the protagonists' goal of living a sugar filled life was nothing but a childish fantasy as it would be absolutely impossible unless she had saved millions and had good connections in the country they were going to lmao. Everything about this was so far fetched, I know it's anime and it's fantasy but you still need coherence in the series for it to work.

If this was a girls' love anime, without the completely unnecessary pedophilic element, it would've been a much better series. How Shiyo came up with some of those thoughts in the last couple of episodes, even though she's a child, will forever be a mystery.

I think we both agree that this anime was pretty much nonsense, but what are you talking about "killing a character"? A character was already killed before this episode. We're on the same page with how we felt NOTHING for anyone here....well I did feel for Shio. Think about it a little bit, Shio is just a child who was abandoned and she's extremely naive. I actually can see a child doing what she did in this episode and such as it's not impossible for kids to think these things when all they've been exposed to is THIS. I personally think mostly everyone in the anime was unrealistic, but Shio was the PUREST, child-like thing here. All in all, I think the ending was a bit unrealistic for Shio on the fact she just....somehow took Satou dying like that? Wouldn't a kid normally be sad that they lost the person they felt most safe with or they loved the most because they made life enjoyable? I just found that weird? She's in the hospital and she's suffered no mental trauma...now hospitals are depressing as pure hell. Kids would be fucking bored in that room and have to sit with the thought of going back to their mother that abandoned them.

Sorry, sorry. I found Taiyou to be a guy I can use to make Lolicon jokes. Everyone was just crazy in this anime. Even the randoms were crazy. So unrealistic, man. What happened to the guy who was stalking Satou in episode 2 or was it episode 3? Not the teacher, but the guy at her job? Eh....Satou's aunt was fucking hilarious. I can use everyone from this anime as a joke. Satou's aunt is so "DANGEROUS" with her booby attack....people are really scared of that? I would've made her shower before I hit. Taiyou really has emotional trauma? Come on, man it couldn't have been that traumatic that any older woman that touches you makes you piss your pants. I can get it making him feel uncomfortable and being skeptical, but not just having PTSD...geez.

Sincerely, from Scorpio.

Oct 15, 2018 7:08 PM

Aug 2017
Atavistic said:
Well, what an incredibly fucking dumb way to end this show. Sure, it was inevitable, but the show came up with such an idiotic way to set up the final trap that finally stopped Satou in her tracks. Shio surviving was also incredibly dumb and illogical, especially because of what that led to with the final ending. And don't even get me started on Asahi just looking at the picture to see the room number, which he could have done from the beginning rather than needlessly and pointlessly involving Mitsuboshi in any of this. What a dumb fucking plothole that shows how half-arsed and lazy and idiotic this finale was.

Had to drop the rating down after that, while still acknowledging the good work the show did with a messed-up premise in previous episodes. 7/10

Asashi didn't know the address. Thats why he got Mitsuboshi involved. He had Mitsuboshi go after her, so that he could confirm she was there because Mitsuboshi knows Satou and Satou knows that Mitsuboshi knows about her and Shio. I think it's better if Mitsu goes than Asashi because wouldn't it be weird that he turns up at her house randomly?
Sincerely, from Scorpio.

Oct 16, 2018 12:33 AM

Aug 2013
yo who let this fuckin.. 6 yr old decide anything at all. like asahi just grab her lmao who cares who she wants to be w she didnt even remember u like 2 secs ago

"i wanna die w you" binch u like 6 u have no concept of the permanence of death bye
wow gay
Oct 25, 2018 2:48 PM

Dec 2016
It was amazing, could'nt give a 10 because some part in the start was pretty useless (sumire) but this anime is so beautiful, and the End. I can't say if Satou did a good or a bad thing at the end but i love this show as far as i love yandere
Oct 30, 2018 11:47 PM
Jul 2018
What the heck is wrong with this end I have so many questions
1. How the hell did a little child survive a fall from a frikin 12 storey building?
- I know that Satou reduce her fall but I refuse to believe that a child can endure that much force even with a meat shield
2. Why did they go to the rooftop?
- They could have just stayed at a floor that is higher than the ground floor
heck they could even just go to the second floor and faked the elevators destination to show that their going to a different floor (floor 12 for example) this would enable them to use the stairs to get to the ground floor enabling them to escape.
3. How in the world did the police arrested the teacher?
- I cant see an evidence that would point out the teacher helping Satou in her crime (seriously he only helped her to disposed a trash(corpse) once , so how can he leave an evidence that would connect him to a crime?
4. What the heck how did Shio became so big in an instant?
- The visit of shio's brother might not be taken immediately after the incident but theres no indicator for that so my question is still valid

Dont get me wrong I enjoyed the show but the ending just boggles my mind

Also I would have preferred them dying on the same time I feel that the ending would have more impact if that was the case

6.9 = 7/10
removed-userOct 30, 2018 11:51 PM
Nov 5, 2018 11:49 AM

Oct 2012
I'm rather late on finishing Happy Sugar Life, I enjoyed the ride I really did! However I have mixed feelings about how it ended.

It did keep true to being a thriller but.. I was kind of hoping that they would have a happy ending. I admittedly had forgotten about the intro scene since I stopped watching this show and came back a month later to finish it..

I can't deny the ending scene made this Anime go from a 8 to a barely 7 really quick for me personally. I would almost go as far as to say it deserves a 5 or 6..
Nov 6, 2018 6:20 PM

Apr 2015
I don't understand why anime characters don't listen to me when I yell simple directions at them from behind the screen, such as "Leave the fucking ring."

The ending was about to have me riled up, as I really don't think Shio's brother or her mom deserve her. But Shio's not having any of that. I dunno, does Satou live in her head now? I'm okay with that.

7/10
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Nov 7, 2018 11:50 AM

Apr 2018
Welp, Shio's gonna do some fucked-up things later in her life, isn't she?

As soon as she finds another girl with pink hair slightly younger than her, this whole thing's going to start all over again.
annie620Nov 7, 2018 11:55 AM

Nov 8, 2018 10:21 AM

May 2018
If only it was more dramatic, I'd be more interested, but like overall in general, the anime is pretty good.
Nov 22, 2018 9:19 AM
Nov 2018
Best episode of the series
Nov 28, 2018 8:59 AM

Apr 2013
anniechrist said:
Welp, Shio's gonna do some fucked-up things later in her life, isn't she?

As soon as she finds another girl with pink hair slightly younger than her, this whole thing's going to start all over again.

Happy Sugar Life: Re-birth....
This will the title goes if they have an original season 2...just opinion...
Nov 29, 2018 7:34 AM
Mar 2017
I hated the MC since the beginning but damn this ending hit me so hard. I feel bad for Shio though now she was reborn to be a psycho
8/10
Dec 12, 2018 12:43 PM

Jun 2013
Well, I'm not the best at predicting and didn't see THAT coming. The "what if" scenes during the fall QwQ Maybe between the two, saving Shio alone is the most cruel option, it was a really twisted relationship, but after a childhood like hers, this is the final straw, recovering is gonna be truly hard now.
I feel sorry for Asahi, I hope one day the bond with his family can be repaired. I'm glad the damn sensei was arrested.
It was quite the trip watching this lol Most of the character were or went insane, and it all was pretty questionable, but it's an entertaining show and the suspence was good at times, some of it was truly unsettling and creepy but I don't mean it in a bad way.
Dec 19, 2018 9:34 AM

Jan 2013
Terrible ending for otherwise great anime.
The real world is past the virtual world is future.

Dec 21, 2018 3:37 AM
Oct 2017
Satou didn't deserve that last moment of happiness. Fuck her and her aunt.
And now we have a new cary little girl.
Dec 21, 2018 11:37 AM

Oct 2010
So she broke Shio in the end by letting her live lol. Depressing end. Really solid overall tho
Dec 24, 2018 6:19 PM
Jul 2018
I am unable to understand why this show has such a low score.

Edit: What the absolute fuck is going on in this thread?
"Guys, you have an opinion on an anime character, you need mental help."
It's a goddamn show.
removed-userDec 25, 2018 1:12 AM
Dec 31, 2018 8:48 PM

Sep 2014
Pls tell me this ending is anime original.

Its not that bad but still, the entire series was pretty great, atleast when satou was involved.

The strongest part was easily satou seeing into Shokos eyes and realizing what happened. A lot of people here act like they never saw the damn anime, neither did she kidnap shio from her family, nor did she murder on a whim, she protected shio by killing the artist. Only with shoko she really has crossed the line.

I will need to read the source, because I cant accept this ending.

Dropped from 10 to 8 because of this ending
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jan 1, 2019 9:54 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I feel like I have so many thoughts and not many all at once. I enjoyed this series as a pretty casual watch. I'll admit, kinda wanted the two of them to have a happy ending together. Two fucked up girls who'd been abused and abandoned paving their way to a better life. Sounds great. The alternative ending was woah scary, though I felt such little sympathy for the brother through out the entire thing (heartless maybe but his route of getting answers irritated me). The hospital scene of his salvation to hellscape was damn depressing.

I remember wanting to say at one point that this entire series reminded me of a visual novel or a horror rpg game. Kinda like Mad Father really, especially with that ending.

What really bothered me was the style of the anime in general. The character designs and overall aesthetic for a horror series that was candy colored could've been better. I liked the scenes where everything spiralled out of control but the look of the entire series brought it down. It was also super predictable, which I hardly ever lobby as a complaint towards a series but damn this thing tried to play it's twists like they were damn clever; they were not.

Overall, entertaining, could've been massively more enjoyable, almost akin to a Death Note watch where you're not sure if you should root for the main whose doing bad stuff for a good end goal or against them, either way it could have been polished and made with care for a fun ride.

5/10 - Could be a 6 but nothing really rustled my jimmies or got me sick to my stomach more then once. And I'm usually more squeamish on these type of things.
Jan 2, 2019 6:10 AM
May 2018
Comander-07 said:

Its not that bad but still, the entire series was pretty great, atleast when satou was involved.

The strongest part was easily satou seeing into Shokos eyes and realizing what happened. A lot of people here act like they never saw the damn anime, neither did she kidnap shio from her family, nor did she murder on a whim, she protected shio by killing the artist. Only with shoko she really has crossed the line.

Yes it is Anime original ending. Manga is still going. Maybe after few years we will get 2 season with true ending.
Jan 2, 2019 12:46 PM

Sep 2014
LTU_EiMs said:
Comander-07 said:

Yes it is Anime original ending. Manga is still going. Maybe after few years we will get 2 season with true ending.
I love your optimism, I will try to keep that up for the new year
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jan 6, 2019 5:51 AM

Dec 2009
I'm utterly disappointed in people treating this as comedy. Nothing about this was funny, and nothing about this was weak.

After watching the first episode, and seeing something very interesting from the perspective of a yandere, instead of from a 3rd person... I came for the loli love, i heard about the yandere, and i stayed because holy shit this execution. I was hoping this anime would wreck me, and hell yes it did. Upon finishing this anime i'm a sopping emotionally confused mess, and strangely happy about it.

While the only major contrivance is the improbable density of shittery, everything else made absolute perfect sense... All their problems one leading to another, circumstances leading to particular actions and so on. None of them knew true love except for our lovely psychopathic Satou, thus their actions were motivated by extreme compensation and delusion. Satou may be a bit fucked up, but she was still true and pure, unlike the other scum characters.

This anime dazzled me and blew me away at every turn. I was on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen next, how Satou was going to get through the next hurdle. I've never rooted for a yandere's success before, but i wanted nothing more than Satou and Shio to live happily together, even at the expense of lives. I've never seen anything like this in my life, and seeing all from the perspective of the yandere, seeing her troubles just fade away when with her love, is very accurate to what it's like to be truly in love with someone that makes your heart dance, i know what it's like because i've felt it too. It sounds corny as fuck that love can fix anything, though it's not that it fixes things, true love and invaluable angels mends hearts & souls, no matter how damaged or empty.

Let me get one thing straight:
Satou's final decision to protect Shio... Well to put bluntly, was not a decision, there is no other option. Her love took over and she performed the only act any lover can do in the face of mortality, the ultimate sacrifice, protect their loved one at all costs, regardless of the rationality, there is no alternative option, it's instinctive. It was a final testament to how true and powerful her love really was. It made me cry because it was so beautiful.

All of this was utterly tragic, it was so horrific yet beautiful, gut-wrenching yet heartwarming. The moment she killed her friend, was such a powerful scene. She didn't want to, but she had to, because her friend was in the same predicament; she didn't want to sell out her friend's crimes, but she was obligated to (especially because she came to like Asahi and wanted to help him find his sister). Shouko also wanted to save her friend from her sins, as she was absolutely determined and was ready to take it all... The only out was for Satou to end Shouko's life. Shouko was a true friend until the end, but made the mistake of underestimating Shio's importance to Satou. Satou liked Shouko as a friend, but when it came to love, Shio was more important than anything. Satou sacrificed her friend because she was given no other choice, and was left in shambles because of what she did, until Shio mended her heart. Upon putting the clothes back on Shouko before the arson, she hesitated in regret, which distracted her mind, causing her to forget the ring.

Satou can't kill Asahi, because he is Shio's blood, and he's shared Satou's feelings, and he taught her another part of her love for Shio. This anime has more than once managed to depict murder almost as a beautiful act instead of a horrific one, truly sucking you into the perspective. That said, when Satou abstains from murder is even more potent, because it demonstrates that that something actually has a connection to the only thing that gave her live meaning, Shio. This is also why Asahi is Satou's greatest threat.

Happy Sugar Life is an example of a scenario in which everyone is a slave to tragedies and circumstance, but two unexpected lovers manage to persevere against all odds. Happy Sugar Life is also a story of guises and subversions of improbability be justifying them nigh flawlessly. The anime spends no time or nonsense trying to pander common morals or ethics, and doesn't alienate its viewers by depicting it from an outside perspective, because it's from Satou's perspective, and brilliant writing it is.

Once again, i came for the highschool girl x loli romance, and was also intrigued by the yandere aspect that i'd heard about... but i didn't expect this shit to be actually amazing. I also didn't expect to run into probably the most amazingly depicted and best yandere ever (not to mention with one of hanazawa kana's most amazing & transparent voice performances - i spotted her voice at the start, but by the time i was an ep in i completely forgot; for someone as prolific as her to to transparently blend into a character so well is no small feat).

I came out the total wreck i'd hoped it would make me, confused emotions, horrible things that are beautiful. Something that can throw you out with a clusterfuck of simultaneous inexplicable emotions, that may take forever to decypher, is truly a work of art in my mind. As of the first ep, i masochistically wanted to get wrecked by it, and it delivered.

One of if not the most profound anime i've seen all year.
GenesisAriaJan 7, 2019 11:06 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Jan 7, 2019 12:40 AM

Dec 2009
Just finished watching this a second time, goddamn hit me just as hard second time through.

This was still by far the most beautiful moment i have seen in anime probably since i finished Clannad.

Despite everything, this is true love.

I know this preceded the manga as anime-original, but whoever made this writing decision is an incredible person.

This anime made be totally fall in love with this disturbed yet wonderful unusual couple.

People may bitch about the kidnapping and other bs, but Satou didn't even technically kidnap Shio, she took her in off the street. While locking her away amongst many other things may seem strange or unseemly, Satou merely didn't know any better, and it wasn't until Shio challenged Satou for her independence that their relationship matured and Satou yet again learned something new from this wonderful little girl. Amongst all the chaos, tragedy and insanity, these two girls shone bright and true. There's no creepy pedophilic exploitative bullshit happening, the point of Taiyou was to contrast his delusional creepiness from Satou's honest and true feelings. Satou and Shio were a match made in heaven, and nothing saddened me more than watching them part ways... but Satou's final act was so beautiful i also cried tears of joy. Yes, it is possible to have an unorthodox love with a child without it being creepy, exploitative, abusive, or otherwise morally atrocious. It rides a seldom understood line between being a surrogate parent and being a mutual partner. It's time people came to understand these sensitive subjects.

More than anything, i love these two as a couple, and anyone who'd wish to separate them should be fiercely opposed. Be it individuals, be it the law. Love doesn't justify crimes against humanity, but it does triumph over all. Any actions that result in separating people from loved ones are equally if not more criminal, than the one committing the initial crimes.

Satou did not kidnap Shio, didn't do anything terrible to her ever, she saved a child of the street and found love, and treated her with the most love she knew how, their relationship grew and got to a point of depth of love that is so very rare and precious and beautiful. No one has the right to criticize.

Satou's final sin is leaving her lover to live a life in solitude. Which was the saddest reality of Satou's most beautiful moment.
GenesisAriaJan 10, 2019 12:34 AM

Jan 23, 2019 1:40 PM
Dec 2016
hakimlaw said:
That end is too good for satou.. She should die more horribly.. There is not even 1 single excuse for what her doing.. For love.. Bull****.. That's definitely not love.. 1/10

Yes i agree.......
alvist98Jan 23, 2019 1:59 PM
Feb 13, 2019 8:15 PM
Oct 2018
Aldnox said:
I am unable to understand why this show has such a low score.

Edit: What the absolute fuck is going on in this thread?
"Guys, you have an opinion on an anime character, you need mental help."
It's a goddamn show.

them rating the characters in a psychological anime and questioning their behaviors lmfao these plebs clearly don't know how psychological anime works. Once you feel certain things like dismay, hatred or even happiness seeing them killing stuff or fcking things up that means the Anime is doing a good job. rating it lower than 8 on a show you invested until last episode just because certain characters doesn't end the way you want is way too stupid. take a look at how Death Note gets stuck in the 8.6 ~ tier just because people who worship L ans then the moment he dies they rate it 1/10.
Feb 21, 2019 9:20 PM

Jun 2014
This has got to be the weirdest fucking character-study type of anime Ive seen. In the beginning of the anime, all the characters start out cardboard cutout characters, each with their own detestable features: the yandere; the pure innocent loli; the goody two-shoes best friend; the pedophilic lolicon boy; the son of the abusive father; the psychopathic auntie; the manwhore teacher that sleeps around with students. Truly not a single likable character. But then as the anime progresses, each (or most) of these characters are developed, and we learn their pasts, we learn what their true colors are. Yes, basically "kidnapping" a child half your age is a crime; but Satou had no evil intent; she truly just wanted to live happily with Shio; and Satou was willing to murder anyone who got in her way for the sake of protecting that relationship. Shio redefined what love meant to Satou, and vise versa. And then the character who got the most development was actually Shio. At first, she was the sacred loli who nothing of the outside world, and only always waited for Satou's return in the evenings. In the middle, we learn about Shio's family and her past. And by the end, Shio transitions into a character who is fully aware of murders Satou has committed and why; and she was willing to become Satou's accomplice and reject her family. The others in the main cast: Shouko, blond boy, and Shio's brother all received significant character development as well; but I wont go on that long.

This anime seemingly does not fit into any specific genre. Its not a horror. Its not a comedy. Its not.... anything else.... People call it "psycholical," and okay, it has that element, but I dont consider that as a primary genre category. The most accurate thing to call HSL is a drama, but it is NOTHING like any other show that would come to mind when someone says "drama." And as far as the story goes, it is purely driven by each characters own motivations.

Now lets talk about that sound design. Im talking about that pants-shitting-ly tense sound that plays during certain key scenes. It sounds like a double-bass that is falling into an abyss, but but the sound is coming from the other side of a really long open hallway too, and that hallway in the middle is being space warped by the abyss. Yeah, thats a cool sound.

Anyway, Ill end with this- I absolutely loved the metaphor for your heart and love being a glass jar full of sweet, sugary candy. Shio's jar was broken, and Satou fixed it. Satou's jar was empty, and Shio filled it.
Apr 11, 2019 11:46 PM

Feb 2013
That shit was art.......believe it or not, this was also straight up a real love story...yeah it was crazy...it was unconventional, and every character was insane....but it was real love; those two girls loved each other intensely, not sexually, just love for each other....this was a modern day (and insane) Romeo and Juliet. Hell....it was better than Romeo and Juliet...Love can happen to everyone, even people who are broken. 9/10 maybe even 10/10

This was better than I ever imagined.

Again....this was fucking art!

I really need to ask though...that last few seconds....wtf?

unmemorableheroApr 12, 2019 11:36 PM
Apr 16, 2019 1:02 AM

Dec 2015
As soon as Satou killed Shouko Satou had to die.

That episode really kicked me in the ribs I ended up taking months before I saw the final episode because of how horrible this show makes me feel when watchng it. But in that way it certainly is very effective.

I thought the series was quite good but I wouldn't say enjoyable.
Apr 21, 2019 8:59 PM

Apr 2009
I really don't understand the hate about this show.

It's a good series since Higurashi and Mirai Nikki.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 25, 2019 12:29 PM

Aug 2007
Well. A good ending, I mean. I was suspecting that Satou will take only her life and Shio will survive. But little girl wanted to die too.

Was creepy about how Shio's brother saw Satou on her sister. Maybe mother want to have a happy family with her kids. I make a little investigation and the manga is still publishing. Maybe I read what happens next.
May 3, 2019 6:43 PM
Jul 2018
ezaya said:
I really don't understand the hate about this show.

It's a good series since Higurashi and Mirai Nikki.
A lot of the hate I've seen comes from people who didn't understand the show to the point I have to wonder if they even watched it. And also people's strong emotional response to Taiyou.
Jun 5, 2019 4:21 PM
Oct 2008
Man...this show.

It's definetely not your typical anime. I liked it and at the same time I hated it. Everyone in the show is fucked up and detestable, which in itself was quite an interesting feel to it.

But at the same time there were a lot of things that made you question things, one them were obviously Shio, like what was her age, why didn't anything like going to school get brought up, a lot of things like that were brushed aside which brought it down or the part where telling the police about a missing child was kinda played down.

Some people are placing it on par or higher than Mirai Nikki and I think that's crazy. Happy Sugar Life had way too many things missing in it to be rated that high. It ignored so many vital things for the story to work.

Anyway for me, I felt it was on par with School Days. Everything is just fucked up and you hate everyone in it.
Jun 22, 2019 11:14 AM
Jul 2018
i give this anime a 7/10. characters were annoying (but i have to admit i liked the aunt and shoko), story was entertaining and both opening and ending song were great.
Jul 21, 2019 3:25 PM

Jun 2019
m-i-c-h-a-e-l said:
This anime seemingly does not fit into any specific genre. Its not a horror. Its not a comedy. Its not.... anything else.... People call it "psycholical," and okay, it has that element, but I dont consider that as a primary genre category. The most accurate thing to call HSL is a drama, but it is NOTHING like any other show that would come to mind when someone says "drama." And as far as the story goes, it is purely driven by each characters own motivations.

The only genre tag it has attached I definitely don't agree with is horror. Drama and psychological can fit well enough to be included, but it's a thriller and romance in my opinion. Romantic thrillers are definitely a thing.
Aug 15, 2019 9:34 PM

Nov 2008
Liddo-kun said:
No, Satou-chan!! Shio-chan mentally wrecked because her waifu died. :(

Onii-chan... remember that Shio belong to Satou even if she's gone.

10/10

OH GOD, LIDDO-KUN. PLEASE DON'T TELL ME YOU SHIP THEM....

*head in hands*

Like...okay, I love age gap ships...sure, I do. BUT THIS CHILD IS SIX YEARS OLD. Satou is ten years older than her. This is sick. Six is barely more than a toddler. So yeah, this is not okay in any way...even in anime. It's f*cking gross and unhealthy. Satou is a damn pedophile and she preyed on and groomed an innocent little child! MAN, am I glad this horrible "ship" went Titanic!!

I can't get over this shit...

.....especially when you said "Ikuto is too old for Amu" when Ikuto is a teenager and Amu is at least 12 by the end of the series....

YOU HYPOCRITE. >:(

There's no creepy pedophilic exploitative bullshit happening, the point of Taiyou was to contrast his delusional creepiness from Satou's honest and true feelings.

@GenesisAria Um....a high school girl made out with a very young child, kept her locked up, and treated her as a wife complete with a fake marriage ceremony, and planned to spend the rest of her life with her as a lover prior to the plan getting ruined; if that's not "pedophilic exploitative bullshit", I don't know what is. Just because they're both girls doesn't make it "pure". It's still twisted and f*cked up. There's no difference between Satou and Mitsuboshi. If Satou kissed her on the LIPS, she would definitely want to do more...Neither girl is "in love" with the other. It's a childish little game they played. Six-year-olds do not know what love is and they cannot consent to acts of love.

More than anything, i love these two as a couple, and anyone who'd wish to separate them should be fiercely opposed.

Hon....hon...

Just no. Lol A child groomer and a victim are not a "couple" and they absolutely NEED to be kept faaaaaaaaar away from each other. Satou's a f*cking criminal in every sense. This is child abuse. Abuse doesn't have to be physical or sexual to be abuse. It's abuse because Shio is too freaking young and Satou is too freaking old. It's an imbalance of power between a prepubescent girl who just stopped watching Dora The Explorer and a teenager who is closer to being an adult.

I know it's fiction....but this is tasteless and I have my limits. If you ACTUALLY think this is "true love", you are in need of some kind of therapy....sorry. xD

I think the series would be MUCH better if Satou just had motherly desires, finds the child, and decides to by her new mother when she finds out she was abandoned. Mothers can still be VERY obsessive yandere women (I saw a drama on Lifetime where a psycho grandma tries to kill a mother in order to keep the granddaughter to herself xD) so yeah, that plot could totally work here! Satou would just try to kill anyone who tries to take her new 'daughter' from her.

But nope...the HSL author just wants to be disgusting and make them "tragic lovers"!!. :(

......I've never seen the word "love" so misused and abused since Kannazuki No Miko....>_>
ChiibiAug 15, 2019 10:37 PM

Aug 16, 2019 12:01 AM

Dec 2009
@Chiibi
Oi, there's countless errors in what you said here, and most of it is your freakout emotional political whatever bias that clouded your vision to literally everything that happened.

Chiibi said:
@GenesisAria Um....a high school girl made out with a very young child,
Mothers kiss children.

kept her locked up,
So do some (perhaps many) parents. Obviously is a problem, but that doesn't validate your claim to pedo.

and treated her as a wife complete with a fake marriage ceremony,
No she didn't. Shio did that with her brother, she started that, Satou only did it because Shio wanted to.

and planned to spend the rest of her life with her as a lover prior to the plan getting ruined;
Satou is an ignorant child who didn't understand love or family and didn't know what it meant to have a proper mother, because well, auntie is crazy. She was confusing "lover" with "loving family" because she doesn't know any better.

if that's not "pedophilic exploitative bullshit", I don't know what is.
So all parents are pedophiles for loving their children, touching them in the bath, and wanting to keep them forever?

Just because they're both girls doesn't make it "pure". It's still twisted and f*cked up. There's no difference between Satou and Mitsuboshi.
Mitsuboshi isn't even a pedo, he lost his mind and sought for "purity" to clean up his "dirtiness" from what was done to him. He crossed the line by converting it into sexual tension. Satou needed to learn love, and Shio needed to be loved, they were both loveless people, lost, and found eachother because they both needed the same thing. They are both girls intentionally to keep the context from distracting from the purpose of the story.

If Satou kissed her on the LIPS, she would definitely want to do more...
Plenty of families kiss eachother on the lips; depending what country you go to that's actually a relatively normal greeting. That's a weak argument, and you clearly don't know how peoples' minds work, so assuming she wants to fuck her just because of a kiss is ridiculous. The series explicitly avoiding showing or even suggesting any sexual actions on Satou's part, she never did anything strange even in the bath. Her only desire was to take care of her.

Neither girl is "in love" with the other. It's a childish little game they played. Six-year-olds do not know what love is and they cannot consent to acts of love.
I can tell you aren't a psychologist, and don't know squat about psychology, and especially not the minds of broken people or children. You just stated here that a child doesn't know how to love, so you are also saying that a child doesn't love a parent or a sibling or whatever... That's insane.

Just no. Lol A child groomer and a victim are not a "couple" and they absolutely NEED to be kept faaaaaaaaar away from each other.
By the same definition, anyone who raises a child is a "child groomer". There was nothing to state that Satou wouldn't mature in the future. She's like a broken child who found a doll and started playing mother. Yes it's kinda messed up and not ideal, BUT, Shio's real family is worse, everyone else is worse, Satou would be able to take good care of her.

Satou's a f*cking criminal in every sense. This is child abuse. Abuse doesn't have to be physical or sexual to be abuse. It's abuse because Shio is too freaking young and Satou is too freaking old. It's an imbalance of power between a prepubescent girl who just stopped watching Dora The Explorer and a teenager who is closer to being an adult.
So if say a teenager got knocked up and ended up pregnant, she can't raise a child because that's pedophilia and child abuse? Excusemewhat? You are absically saying that a young child can't be around anyone older because it's automatically abuse... How does this make any sense? Yeah, it doesn't.
ps: Satou is still very much a child.

I know it's fiction....but this is tasteless and I have my limits. If you ACTUALLY think this is "true love", you are in need of some kind of therapy....sorry. xD
Err, you know that people who excessively overreact to things, start pointing fingers and virtue signalling, are most often the ones with the real problems. Just a suggestion to look in a mirror once in a while before you start leaping out thinking you are so righteous.

I think the series would be MUCH better if Satou just had motherly desires, finds the child, and decides to by her new mother when she finds out she was abandoned. Mothers can still be VERY obsessive yandere women (I saw a drama on Lifetime where a psycho grandma tries to kill a mother in order to keep the granddaughter to herself xD) so yeah, that plot could totally work here! Satou would just try to kill anyone who tries to take her new 'daughter' from her.
That's exactly what the author wrote. She found an abandoned child on the street, they met, they connected, and she took her in.

But nope...the HSL author just wants to be disgusting and make them "tragic lovers"!!. :(
No, that's what you projected onto it.

Satou figured out what love was supposed to be, but only in the last moment. THe whole time, all her actions were mistakes, her trying to learn and understand. Shio constantly did things that Satou learned from and was ever grateful for learning these things about love. All Satou ever wanted was to love and be loved, but she never knew what it was, because she never had it. In the last moment, she figured it out, love means to hold someone else in value over yourself, and be willing to protect them, no matter the cost, no matter the sacrifice. She gave her life to save Shio. That is the most powerful act of love that can ever be done, by anyone, ever.

I should just add something you probably don't know, because media usually intentionally avoids ever addressing this issue: if two people become emotionally bonded, especially if younger, regfardless of whatever illegality or foul play happens, FORCEFULLY SEPARATING THEM WILL CAUSE EXTENSIVE AND IRREPARABLE TRAUMA. They will grow up unable to trust the law, they will grow up having been forced away from someone who matters to them. This can at times lead to suicide. In Shio's case, the law would put her back with her horrible family, which will just be more torturous.

Regardless of "foul play" or whatever your moral highground is, enforcing your belief system in a case like this would cause far more damage than just letting it be. I ship them together because they demonstrably both made eachother happy, and did immeasurable good for the wellbeing of eachother. They were perfectly matched in needs and desires, and any other outcome would not lead to anyone's happiness in this situation. Shio MIGHT eventually turn out okayish if she ended up in an orphanage, but that is still depriving her of ever having a proper mother figure, and when that young, not having a proper mother will lead to permanent affects on their psyche.

So yeah, nice try, but your freakout was completely fallacious. On top of that, you also didn't understand the story or characters at all.
I also feel bad for the author for such unjust aggression.
GenesisAriaAug 16, 2019 12:14 AM

Aug 16, 2019 5:27 AM

Oct 2007
Plenty of families kiss eachother on the lips; depending what country you go to that's actually a relatively normal greeting. That's a weak argument, and you clearly don't know how peoples' minds work, so assuming she wants to fuck her just because of a kiss is ridiculous. The series explicitly avoiding showing or even suggesting any sexual actions on Satou's part, she never did anything strange even in the bath. Her only desire was to take care of her.

that's one way Satou is better than Mitsuboshi. Satou does not do anything sexual besides the marriage kiss. In one episode, Mitsuboshi mentioned he intends to do more with Shio, I just can't remember exactly what episode he said that.
Aug 16, 2019 9:06 AM

Nov 2008
PARENTS DO NOT KISS THEIR KIDS ON THE LIPS. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU GUYS!?

A kiss on the lips IN JAPAN, ONLY means "strong romantic/sexual love". It's what you do with a significant other, NOT your offspring. That's freaking NASTY, guys.

Satou only did it because Shio wanted to.

And there's your problem: it's the older one's duty to say "NOPE" when the child tries something like this. But Satou didn't.

As far as "Satou only kissed her; that doesn't mean she wants to f*ck her", unless Satou is asexual (she might be) she is going to have to satisfy her hormonal urges eventually. She's not dating someone who can do this...so what do you think is gonna happen?

So all parents are pedophiles for loving their children, touching them in the bath, and wanting to keep them forever?

NORMAL parents are perfectly okay with and ENCOURAGE their children to get married when they grow up. They don't "keep them forever". Do you think Satou is going to let Shio date another person and marry them? I don't think she would.

You just stated here that a child doesn't know how to love

ROMANCE. I'M TALKING ABOUT ROMANCE. YOU KNOW, THE THING YOU SUPPORT BETWEEN THESE TWO?

No, children as young as Shio DO NOT know how ROMANCE works. Shio is not treating Satou like a mother. It'd be GREAT if she did! Shio calls Satou by her name, even attaching "chan" to it, she doesn't even call her "Onee-chan", she is trying to take the role of a WIFE, trying to make dinner and clean the house for Satou, even requesting to MARRY her.

You are absically saying that a young child can't be around anyone older because it's automatically abuse...

A child can't be around a LOVER who is more than five years older because it's automatically abuse. This is considered "pedophilia" and it's punishable by LAW.

You LOVE twisting my words around, don't you?

I also feel bad for the author for such unjust aggression.

The author you feel bad for drew them with fake wedding veils and THE RED STRING OF FATE around each other's fingers. The red string of fate is reserved for romantic soulmates in Japanese lore. Satou also buys RINGS for them, what a husband and wife do, not a parent and child.
The author knows exactly what they are doing. lol I would love to see more pics of them doing mother-daughter activities but the author keeps pushing the theme of "GIRLFRIENDS!!! <3" which I find to be in very very bad taste since Shio is six.

I ship them together because they demonstrably both made eachother happy, and did immeasurable good for the wellbeing of eachother. They were perfectly matched in needs and desires, and any other outcome would not lead to anyone's happiness in this situation.

BUT IT'S NOT HEALTHY OR GOOD. Okay, look, as others have pointed out, Satou won't even let Shio go to school. How the f*ck will she turn out okay? She won't be a functioning member of society, that's for sure!

*Shio is FAR too young to understand what she needs. Satou is too f*cked up to understand this as well...Satou only cared about herself until the very last moment of her life.

*Satou wasn't raised properly. How the f*ck can we expect her to raise SHIO properly? Satou THINKS that "loving this child" is just about food and cuddles and stuff you do with a boyfriend. IT'S NOT.

"Love" (any kind of it) is about "doing what's best for the other person". Locking a child up is NOT what's best for her, not letting her interact with another human being is NOT what's best for her. Going along with her toxic idea of "I'll be your wife so let's kiss" is NOT what's best for her.

The "best" thing to do at this point is Satou taking Shio with her to a foster home where they both can be taken care of as SIBLINGS. It shouldn't be hard to do; her aunt would certainly be deemed unfit to care for a teenager. Asahi should join them too. But due to Satou's extreme selfishness, I don't see this happening...sadly. If Satou grows into a more stable adult and decides to leave the foster parents with romantic feelings for a teenaged Shio who still feels the same way, then...whatever. Still iffy but way less disgusting. lol

I'm totally waiting to get screamed at for shipping ZackxRay and being 100% against SatouxShio but I'm also quite ready to write an essay for my reasons. xD

ChiibiAug 16, 2019 9:50 AM

Aug 16, 2019 8:15 PM

Dec 2009
Chiibi said:
You LOVE twisting my words around, don't you?
You're the one twisting everything to suit your agenda

A) Satou doesn't know better.

B) Satou isn't normal.

C) Stop crying wolf and blaming others for what you are doing (twisting words).

D) You're being overdramatic, and clearly are not in clear head.

Z) It's fiction. Calm your tits. The point is to provoke thought.

You are the first girl i've run into in a long time who freaks out so much about pedo, and i've only met 3 girls that gave a shit. I've met dozens of guys that freak out about pedo, but girls usually aren't as bothered (even ones that have been molested when young weren't bothered), ironic that. For example in a more recent example, a female mangaka (Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-domo yo.) in a recent episode depicted a very realistic and sensible pedophile character in an unbiased light. Maybe you ought to learn a thing or two and calm the fuck down. And besides, regardless of the law, you know nothing about the subject, and spout nothing but baseless assumptions, and overreactive socio-political views on subjects you don't understand. The law can jail and fine an innocent person because a women or child created a false story about rape or something. Having absolute faith in law over sense is unhealthy and problematic, and at times dangerous. Understanding the subject and circumstances and context is most important. Its too easy for ignorant fools to twist things and exploit the law, especially if it's under such a publicly emotionally reactive subject such as "women's rights" and "protect the children!", in which people will commit all kinds of atrocities and bring harm and danger to them in order to uphold. For example: you can drive before you can legally drink. Problem: kids don't learn how to manage their liquor and burn off the novelty before learning to drive... so they get drunk and party cuz yay they are 19/21 and hop in a car and then get themselves or others injured or killed. But it's the law. Yeah it's a bad law that gets people killed. Try thinking more before losing your cool and reacting because it's what is popular to hate.
GenesisAriaAug 16, 2019 8:36 PM

Aug 17, 2019 11:18 AM
Apr 2011
https://tieba.baidu.com/f?kw=happysugarlife&fr=index Here some raws the manga just ended in chapter 49 and has 10 volumes also the ending is the same as the anime.
Aug 17, 2019 2:37 PM

Nov 2008
GenesisAria said:
You're the one twisting everything to suit your agenda

I didn't twist ANYTHING. Everything I stated is a fact.

https://www.moms.com/kiss-your-kids-on-the-lips/
Experts say this type of kiss is WRONG and can be "stimulating" to a child.

A) Satou doesn't know better.

B) Satou isn't normal.

That's why this is DANGEROUS for her to raise/ date a child. If she doesn't know right from wrong, how can Shio possibly turn out okay? I'm amazed you cannot understand this simple concept?

Z) It's fiction. Calm your tits.

Yeah, it's fiction. Bad taste is simply bad taste. This is why there are no anime about the Holocaust; it's in bad taste.

You said, "you ship them as a couple".

Do you mean to tell me you want a sixteen-year-old to f*ck a six year-old?

Because that's f*cking gross. If you want them to stay in a platonic relationship where she simply takes care of her, that is different.

But every romantic couple gets physical eventually.

Aug 17, 2019 10:52 PM

Dec 2009
@Chiibi
You are the one with the twisted mind, are you are obsessively thinking about sex with children and trying your very hardest to shoehorn it into everything, distorting the facts to suit your fancy. There is NOTHING to suggest anything sexual implied or suggested between Satou and Shio. It is all in your head.

ps: bad taste, lol... "you have shit taste because you enjoy things i think are bad!" eksdee
not to mention you are painfully cynical and pessimistic; i can only wonder if you are depressed or something, seeing how much you so biasly focus on negativity.

...also constantly thinking about what would be the best outcome (like your foster home example) is something that can only be said in retrospect, and there wouldn't have been much of a story if were the case. if you are gonna lose your shit over it, WHY WATCH IT?

I'm not going to respond anymore, have a nice day.
GenesisAriaAug 18, 2019 12:27 AM

Aug 18, 2019 7:04 PM

Nov 2008
GenesisAria said:
are you are obsessively thinking about sex with children

No, but Mitsuboshi and Satou definitely are :p
There is NOTHING to suggest anything sexual implied or suggested between Satou and Shio. It is all in your head.

This may come as a SHOCK to your immature ass but married people have sex after they get married, yes. And Satou and Shio talk about marriage a LOT? Maybe Shio doesn't know what sex is but Satou DOES and I'm concerned that she might try to groom Shio...:(

not to mention you are painfully cynical and pessimistic; i can only wonder if you are depressed or something, seeing how much you so biasly focus on negativity.

Actually, I am NOT like that at all; I simply think "teenager and very small kid being romantic" is really disturbing because I have morals. lol

And I am NOT the only one on here WHO THINKS THIS!!

ChiibiAug 18, 2019 7:13 PM

Aug 20, 2019 4:17 PM

Dec 2009
@Chiibi "i have morals" aka SJW.
people have sex after they are married? you sound like a good christian citizen.

Aug 21, 2019 6:35 PM

Nov 2008
GenesisAria said:
@Chiibi "i have morals" aka SJW.

SJWs are responsible for CENSORING ANIME AND VIDEO GAMES. DON'T PUT ME IN THE SAME GROUP AS THOSE RETARDS.

Is "I have limits with what I'm comfortable with" any better?

I can criticize the series. It's not like I want it to stop existing. Anyway, Shio is now free of Satou's toxic influence and this is a good thing.

though I liked Satou better; I think Shio's the one who should have died but then I'd feel terrible for Asahi argh I can't win.

you sound like a good christian citizen.

Well spotted. Would you like a cookie?

(::)
ChiibiAug 21, 2019 6:41 PM

Sep 13, 2019 5:07 AM

Sep 2019
a fitting end, the pathetic blond boy was raped again & now gets to keep on living in that ruined state, the criminals Satou & the rapist teacher died & got arrested respectively, the crazy aunti is arrested & the low IQ Shokou was killed.
Shio was brought up by a criminal so idealy she needs a rehab to de-brainwash her.
honestly the only person who I sympathize with is Shio's mother, she did nothing wrong, she was just under too much pressure, I felt like she was the only normal person in this anime, some say Shokou was normal but no...I think Shokou was as abnormal as the other crazy characters, when some one is suspected of being a criminal you don't just go to his house & ask him wether he is a criminal or not, the only case you do that is if you are suffering from Mongolism.
Sep 20, 2019 2:36 PM
Sep 2012
I voted that I liked the ending but actually I disliked it. Why? Because it made me sad that Sato-chan died, I had to hold some tears back. I really wanted them to get their happy ending. But looking at this from a realistic point of view, I'm pretty sure the creators wouldn't continue the story. Plus, I agree with one of the comments I was reading on this thread that this situation could have been easily avoided. She was smart enough to avoid all of this. I mean, she could just make another ring like the one Shio has. Am I weird for liking this sort of content? Anyways.... Wish they had their happy ending.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Happy Sugar Life Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2018

96 by LeonardoFrav »»
Apr 4, 7:28 PM

Poll: » Happy Sugar Life Episode 2 Discussion

TheFreycook - Aug 9, 2018

42 by neptuneSXDLl »»
Mar 27, 5:45 PM

Poll: » Happy Sugar Life Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2018

70 by Phixiately »»
Mar 23, 11:34 PM

Poll: » Happy Sugar Life Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2018

81 by Phixiately »»
Mar 20, 9:55 PM

Poll: » Happy Sugar Life Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Sacerdotisa - Aug 9, 2018

66 by Phixiately »»
Feb 29, 1:27 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.