Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 23, 2018 12:36 PM

Aug 2018
I'm looking for old games that are fun to play or are cult classics. I don't like strategy-based games that much, but others should work fine. Any suggestions? :3

"Although Punpun didn’t really want to think about what the point of having dreams that could never come true was… To have dreams and worries that you could talk frankly about… In a way, that was probably a more fulfilling lifestyle than his own, Punpun admitted. Being cool was merely a paper-thin difference away from being empty."

-Oyasumi Punpun
Sep 23, 2018 12:38 PM

Feb 2017
Max Payne 1 and 2? xd
Sep 23, 2018 1:20 PM
Sep 2016
GTA games,S.T.A.L.K.E.R series, Dead Space 1&2, Half Life series
Sep 23, 2018 2:05 PM

May 2009
The longest journey and dreamfall the longest journey. <3
Sep 23, 2018 5:53 PM

Jun 2014
Zeliard
Sorcerian
Duke Nukem
Duke Nukem II

I know you don't like strategy games, but I highly recommend checking out the original "Scorched Earth." It's one of the best PC games ever made.

Sep 24, 2018 3:48 AM
Aug 2018
Dungeon Keeper is definitely up there.

Populous, is also a golden oldie.

Black & White and also Theme Hospital.

These were my faves.
Sep 24, 2018 4:17 AM

Jul 2015
The first Fallout, Diablo, System Shock 2 and Deus Ex would be a good start, I guess. It's hard to do more influential, and the latest games in the series (or series inspired by it in System Shock 2's case: Bioshock and Dead Space) are complete crap.

I'm never buying a Blizzard game ever again after the turd that was Diablo III >.>
Sep 24, 2018 5:39 AM

Aug 2018
Ixa98 said:
Max Payne 1 and 2? xd

Thanks, I have bought them a while ago but I need to find a fps fix again to be able to play them on Windows 10. Great games though.
Rakhil said:
GTA games,S.T.A.L.K.E.R series, Dead Space 1&2, Half Life series

I've played all 3 Dead Spaces, GTA San Andreas and IV, Half Life 2. I tried Stalker games but they were a little hard to get into. Going to check out Vice City and the original Half Life, those might be fun.
Shoryuuken said:
The longest journey and dreamfall the longest journey. <3

Thanks, I'll check them out when I feel like point-and-clicking.

Cool, both of them look cool. Will check them out.
Seiya said:
Zeliard
Sorcerian
Duke Nukem
Duke Nukem II

I know you don't like strategy games, but I highly recommend checking out the original "Scorched Earth." It's one of the best PC games ever made.

Thanks, I do love pixel styled games, so I'm glad to see these. I've played through the first Dukem Nukem and liked it. Checked out Scorched Earth, it actually looks kinda' cool, so I might check it out in the future.
krustyK said:
Dungeon Keeper is definitely up there.

Populous, is also a golden oldie.

Black & White and also Theme Hospital.

These were my faves.

Not a huge fan of building games, but I've played a little bit of Black & White and liked it. I might look into them in due time.

Clebardman said:
The first Fallout, Diablo, System Shock 2 and Deus Ex would be a good start, I guess. It's hard to do more influential, and the latest games in the series (or series inspired by it in System Shock 2's case: Bioshock and Dead Space) are complete crap.

I'm never buying a Blizzard game ever again after the turd that was Diablo III >.>

System Shock looks really cool, and I've been planning on trying Diablo games. Not a fan of Deus Ex and Fallout games though.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! :3
"Although Punpun didn’t really want to think about what the point of having dreams that could never come true was… To have dreams and worries that you could talk frankly about… In a way, that was probably a more fulfilling lifestyle than his own, Punpun admitted. Being cool was merely a paper-thin difference away from being empty."

-Oyasumi Punpun
Sep 24, 2018 5:46 AM

Jul 2015
@NarDev I dun wanna insist if it's not your thing, but wich games did you try in the Fallout and Deus Ex franchises? I played them all and they're all crap except the first ones IMO (Fallout 2 is hmkay, but can't beat the story-telling of the first, and breaks the universe established by its predecessor in many occasions)

Bethesda especially should be sued for what they did with the Fallout license >.>. Couldn't get much into the latest Deus ex games, I miss 1/ the awesome story 2/ being a transhuman OP warmachine who can jump from a 6 story-tall building while in optical camo to beat huge robots to death with a stun baton.
DeathkoSep 24, 2018 5:49 AM
Sep 24, 2018 5:55 AM

Aug 2018
Clebardman said:
@NarDev I dun wanna insist if it's not your thing, but wich games did you try in the Fallout and Deus Ex franchises? I played them all and they're all crap except the first ones IMO (Fallout 2 is hmkay, but can't beat the story-telling of the first, and breaks the universe established by its predecessor in many occasions)

Bethesda especially should be sued for what they did with the Fallout license >.>. Couldn't get much into the latest Deus ex games, I miss 1/ the awesome story 2/ being a transhuman OP warmachine who can jump from a 6 story-tall building while in optical camo to beat huge robots to death with a stun baton.

I played Deus Ex Human Revolution and Fallout 3, New Vegas and 4. Tried playing the first Deus Ex cause I got it in a package on steam, but couldn't get it to run well.

-Oyasumi Punpun
Sep 24, 2018 6:14 AM

Jul 2015
The two first Fallout were isometric 3d RPGs, completely different games than the recent ones. Fallout 3 is just a rehash of The Elder's Scrolls formula (literally the only kind of game Bethesda knows how to make: empty, huge open worlds with horrible gameplay and no soul/atmosphere). The awful engine just couldn't handle god damn 1st person gameplay, and everything else had the Bethesda stamp all over it: fake or dumb choices, filler quests, stupid useless loot in every crate to distract the player.

"Please autodestruct, Enclave supercomputer" [Speech: 100]
Yeah, that's a great and deep RPG, Bethesda. *claps slowly*
Sep 24, 2018 6:24 AM
Jul 2018
The ultimate doom, unreal tournament 1999, counterstrike (1.6 or source) and Also
Toontown
Sep 24, 2018 7:35 AM

Feb 2014
Grand Theft Auto 3
Grand Theft Auto Vice City
Call of Duty Modern Warfare (One of the best call of duty games)
Sep 24, 2018 8:35 AM

Jun 2016
The quake and unreal games are very good and they still have active communities. Thief is great stealth game, utilising better stealth mechanics than its competitor (mgs). Fallout 1 and 2 are the best games in the series, great immersive experience. Diablo II is amazing with friends. KOTOR is the best star wars game ever made with battlefront II coming second and jedi academy third, all of them are better experienced on PC. The DnD baldur's gate games are the pinnacle of the traditional CRPG. You said you don't like strategy games but I'll leave the first four sim city games here since they tend to attract a larger playerbase than an average strategy games.
Warning: None of these games is optimized for use with modern resolutions. You may need to download mods or run them at 480p or 800x600 to get proper picture. There may be some compatibility issues with modern windows NT. PC games released before 2000 may need DOS emulation to run. Some windows games released then may not need it. Ask on GOG forums or consult the PCgaming wiki and the DOSbox wiki for more information on old games.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Nov 2013
oddworld abe's oddysee, people forget that it was on pc i think lol. has a hd remaster now if u never ever played it

diablo 2 or baldurs gate 2
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Sep 24, 2018 12:15 PM

Aug 2018
As a diehard Half-Life fan, I can't pass through here and not say, ofc, original Half-Life, and its two expansions: Opposing Force and Blue Shift, both amazing. In sales, you can find them by 99 cents and OF / BS by 79, I think.

Also, Thief: The Dark Project, one of the firsts if not the first game that introduce the light and sound mechanics in stealth games.

Duke Nukem 3D is great, and so is Doom.

Fallout 1 and 2 are great experiences to enter in the turn based RPG that ruled the 90s. The ambientation of those games still manages to give me shivers today.

Unreal is the forgotten game by the community. It was one of the first that introduced a history before HL. Not saying that Doom / Duke Nukem didn't have story, but they were resumed into running through the levels as fast as possible, killing the much mf better. Unreal (not Tournament) tells the story of a soldier that survived a massacre in a space ship. Is great, though.

Quake is one of the most beloved shooter games ever. Its quick action remembers too much of Doom and it feels great even today. Quake II is the same but better imo.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R Fall of Prypiat is a great game too, but difficult as fuck. It also gave me some scarejumps the first time I played it.

Sep 24, 2018 12:50 PM

Aug 2018
Theo1899 said:
The quake and unreal games are very good and they still have active communities. Thief is great stealth game, utilising better stealth mechanics than its competitor (mgs). Fallout 1 and 2 are the best games in the series, great immersive experience. Diablo II is amazing with friends. KOTOR is the best star wars game ever made with battlefront II coming second and jedi academy third, all of them are better experienced on PC. The DnD baldur's gate games are the pinnacle of the traditional CRPG. You said you don't like strategy games but I'll leave the first four sim city games here since they tend to attract a larger playerbase than an average strategy games.
Warning: None of these games is optimized for use with modern resolutions. You may need to download mods or run them at 480p or 800x600 to get proper picture. There may be some compatibility issues with modern windows NT. PC games released before 2000 may need DOS emulation to run. Some windows games released then may not need it. Ask on GOG forums or consult the PCgaming wiki and the DOSbox wiki for more information on old games.

Thanks, I know most of them don't run. How easy to get them running is is one of my considerations when playing these games.
Sad said:
oddworld abe's oddysee, people forget that it was on pc i think lol. has a hd remaster now if u never ever played it

diablo 2 or baldurs gate 2

I've been planning on getting into Oddworld. Thanks for the recommendation!
PentagramShogoki said:
As a diehard Half-Life fan, I can't pass through here and not say, ofc, original Half-Life, and its two expansions: Opposing Force and Blue Shift, both amazing. In sales, you can find them by 99 cents and OF / BS by 79, I think.

Also, Thief: The Dark Project, one of the firsts if not the first game that introduce the light and sound mechanics in stealth games.

Duke Nukem 3D is great, and so is Doom.

Fallout 1 and 2 are great experiences to enter in the turn based RPG that ruled the 90s. The ambientation of those games still manages to give me shivers today.

Unreal is the forgotten game by the community. It was one of the first that introduced a history before HL. Not saying that Doom / Duke Nukem didn't have story, but they were resumed into running through the levels as fast as possible, killing the much mf better. Unreal (not Tournament) tells the story of a soldier that survived a massacre in a space ship. Is great, though.

Quake is one of the most beloved shooter games ever. Its quick action remembers too much of Doom and it feels great even today. Quake II is the same but better imo.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R Fall of Prypiat is a great game too, but difficult as fuck. It also gave me some scarejumps the first time I played it.

Thanks, already have Half Life on my PC, but have to figure out how to run it on Windows 10. Unreal looks cool. I can tell I'm gonna like Stalker just from the video.

-Oyasumi Punpun
Sep 24, 2018 1:02 PM

Jul 2015
@NarDev I'd suggest to avoid the first STALKER game (Shadow of Chernobyl) ss it is... kinda poorly balanced, debugged, and not very fun to play. The second one (Clear Sky) was a vast improvement. Can't say anything about Call of Prypiat as I never played that one.

You know you're a old fuck when you consider the first Stalker a modern game (^%
Sep 24, 2018 1:18 PM

Aug 2018
Clebardman said:
@NarDev I'd suggest to avoid the first STALKER game (Shadow of Chernobyl) ss it is... kinda poorly balanced, debugged, and not very fun to play. The second one (Clear Sky) was a vast improvement. Can't say anything about Call of Prypiat as I never played that one.

You know you're a old fuck when you consider the first Stalker a modern game (^%

Yeah, I've downloaded Pripyat. If it's good I'll go back to Clear Sky.

-Oyasumi Punpun
Sep 24, 2018 3:18 PM

Aug 2018
Clebardman said:

Well, its technically a modern game. Its only 10 years (I think 2007?). To me, its half my life, so I'd call it 'old'. Like Fallout 3, that has 10 years now.

Shadows of Chernobyl is full of bugs and gamebreaking experiences, but its unique gameplay and ambientation are great. That's why I suggested Call of Prypiat. For me, its the best, comparing it to Shadows and Clear Sky (which is great too).

Its a shame I forgot about 2005's GOTY F.E.A.R. An amazing gameplay with terrifying story (in the good way, ofc), with awesome mechanics.
Sep 24, 2018 11:56 PM

Mar 2017
I wanted to say Battle Realms, but strategy games are off-limits, haha. Seriously, most of my games on PC are strategy-related, so i might have a hard time thinking off one.

Anyway, Zoo Tycoon is a good old game and always enjoyed the game, even to this day, and reinstalled it every now and then, if i had the time.
It's time to play the Game folks!
Sep 25, 2018 3:13 AM

Jun 2016
Quake
Unreal
Dungeon Keeper
Doom
Wolfenstein
Diablo
Myst
Sep 25, 2018 3:27 AM

Sep 2018
I've always enjoyed the wizardry series, 7 and 8 are aren't too old that they're hard to play now. I tried replaying 6 a couple years ago and I just couldn't get into it again. It's been too long. :(

Neverwinter Nights, the first or the second, they both still hold up fairly well.

Might and Magic 7, I replayed about 8 months ago and it still tickles my fancy.

As others have said Baldur's gate, and icewind dale of course; any of those old crpgs.

Sep 25, 2018 3:42 AM

Jul 2013
Age of empires games used to be the shit

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Sep 25, 2018 5:03 AM

May 2018
The egg fighting game I forgot the title
Sep 25, 2018 5:16 AM

May 2018
Definitely go with Half Life series.
Sep 25, 2018 10:19 AM

Oct 2009
Jazz Jack Rabbit don't knock it m8!
Sep 25, 2018 12:02 PM

Jan 2017
NarDev said:
I'm looking for old games that are fun to play or are cult classics. I don't like strategy-based games that much, but others should work fine. Any suggestions? :3

This is the only correct answer. Fight me.

https://classicreload.com/oregon-trail.html

Sep 25, 2018 12:13 PM

Aug 2018
TONYBoii said:

Thanks, remember loving it as a kid, just forgot the tittle. Used to be one of my favorites.
Gorochu said:

Played the 2nd, going to play the 1st in the near future.
J_LEE_C said:
NarDev said:

Will check it out, not my type but I'll trust you this time. :3

-Oyasumi Punpun
Sep 25, 2018 12:20 PM

Jan 2017
NarDev said:
TONYBoii said:

Thanks, remember loving it as a kid, just forgot the tittle. Used to be one of my favorites.
Gorochu said:

J_LEE_C said:

Wait wait wait, you've never heard of the Oregon Trail game? I guess I'll let it slide since you were born in 2000 and it was more of a 1980s 1990s thing. Yeahhhh, its probably going to be completely different from most things you're used to seeing. But just know it was the OG Game, the God of Games, back in the day.

Sep 25, 2018 12:25 PM

Jun 2014
J_LEE_C said:
NarDev said:

Wait wait wait, you've never heard of the Oregon Trail game? I guess I'll let it slide since you were born in 2000 and it was more of a 1980s 1990s thing. Yeahhhh, its probably going to be completely different from most things you're used to seeing. But just know it was the OG Game, the God of Games, back in the day.

I'm 30, but our schools didn't have the Oregon Trail on their computers.

Instead, we had the sequel, called "The Yukon Trail," which was developed by the same company.

Sep 25, 2018 12:26 PM

Aug 2018
J_LEE_C said:
NarDev said:

Yeah I figured. I really never heard of this game but it does remind me of some games I played in the past, so I guess they were inspired by this one. Looks cool though.

-Oyasumi Punpun
Sep 25, 2018 12:27 PM

Aug 2018
Seiya said:
J_LEE_C said:

Instead, we had the sequel, called "The Yukon Trail," which was developed by the same company.

Yeah I've never heard of it, before my time. But that's why this forum exists I guess. :3

-Oyasumi Punpun
Sep 25, 2018 12:42 PM

Jan 2017
Seiya said:
J_LEE_C said:

I'm 27, but I came from a very poor rural public school, so we learned all about the original Oregon Trail game and played it. lol it was a choice between that or solitare or minesweeper. But yeah that game was all the rage in our school in the late 90s early 2000s.

Sep 25, 2018 12:46 PM

Aug 2018
J_LEE_C said:
Seiya said:

I'm 27, but I came from a very poor rural public school, so we learned all about the original Oregon Trail game and played it. lol it was a choice between that or solitare or minesweeper. But yeah that game was all the rage in our school in the late 90s early 2000s.

Cool, our school didn't really have top notch computers so we had to play what would work on them. Most of us played Super Mario Bros, Snake or Spelunky. There was one computer that had Warcraft 3 and we would compete to get the privilege to play it. Good ol' times.

-Oyasumi Punpun
Sep 25, 2018 12:54 PM

May 2009
If you're into long rpg with a lot of text, then I'd say Planescape: Torment or any of the D&D adaptations (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights) from that period.
Sep 25, 2018 12:57 PM

Nov 2016
The First 2 Witchers
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 25, 2018 1:08 PM

Aug 2018
DeadlyRaven said:
If you're into long rpg with a lot of text, then I'd say Planescape: Torment or any of the D&D adaptations (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights) from that period.

Thanks, never tried those genres, probably should.
Afloo said:
The First 2 Witchers

Thanks, but I played the first one and wasn't a fan.

-Oyasumi Punpun

More topics from this board

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

56 by BitChilly »»
1 hour ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

12 by Astachanna »»
1 hour ago

» Last game you purchased ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Completely_Numb - Mar 15, 2014

525 by Timeline_man »»
2 hours ago

» Stellar Blade Preview: Sekiro Meets NieR: Automata?

deg - Feb 1

28 by Shizuna »»
4 hours ago

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

141 by Kajiuran »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.