Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 19, 2018 8:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The more I watch Rin this season, the more I like his attitude. He seems much more free spirited with confidence and building his own future.

Felt a bit like a buildup episode and everyone looked like they're ready to prove themselves. Hell, I'm really glad the episode focused a bit more on Rei. I'd say he improved a lot and he keeps hoping to improve.
Stark700Sep 19, 2018 9:24 AM
Sep 19, 2018 8:32 AM

Nov 2007
This ep. feels like a huge reunions, including Hirakawa-san's character and red hair guy in junior high story having miraculous meet again.

lol @ even the sister of shark school brothers fell in love with muscle love manager (or rather, having the same interest). I should have realize that sister is older than younger brother, I thought she is the youngest but she's actually in the middle.

A guy breaking a record is on the newspaper... is he that mysterious guy in the opening? (many people in Twitter mention so)

lol @ "kinniku baka". Two coaches talking while they eat with their students (main character and Mamo's character. Main character and Mamo's character met up to surprise the high schoolers. They drove and ran together.

High schoolers swimming (thinking it as final test of what they learned in all 3 years of high school). Wow @ Hirakawa-san's character tops (despite being very nervous and worried at the last minute)! Yonaga-san's character and Miyata-san's character has become a good rivals ("yoki rival": compete together, but being in good terms afterwards). That ends their high school swimming.

Hosoya-san's character starting to swim.

One more ep. w. main character vs. Mamo's character?, but doesn't seem like the story is ending.
tsubasaloverSep 19, 2018 9:51 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 19, 2018 9:21 AM
Dec 2014
Finally!! The Old Iwatobi Swimming Club members are back together!! What a reunion.
Sep 19, 2018 9:54 AM
Sep 2015
Though I don't like Rei (purely based on his appearance, I don't like glasses characters) he deserves all the screentime in this episode, he is the bond that stitch everyone together.

And this mysterious swimmer finally revealed to be name 'Kinjou Kaeda', seriously this need a full season sequel, too many interesting characters.... but please stop making them look like a villain at first impression!

Sep 19, 2018 10:07 AM

Aug 2015
I loved this weeks episode so much I actually cried at Rin's last part.. it made me tear up lol. Almost as much as Rin hehe

Anyways, I always appreciate a good Iwatobi episode, and I am so glad that people doubted this episode cause now I can be like "what did I tell you" I mean, people were extremely appalled after last week's episode and I'm just like?? Okay, but this episode was great imo. It had all the good ingredients and everything worked out so smoothly. First of all, I found it hilarious when Iwatobi gang arrived in Tokyo because both Gou and Ayumu were gulping at seeing different types of guys lolol.

I also loved the phone call between Mikhail and Ryuji, it was so good lol and did anyone notice the name Ryuji had given Mikhail on his phone? Muscle freak jesus christ

BUUUUT IMPORTANTLY, RINHARU CAME BACK AGAIN AND THIS TIME EVEN STRONGER AND BETTER HOLY CRAP. Rin freaking picking up Haru in his car was some good shit, and them acting just the same way that they have always been, such a good relationship-

And then Rei and Asahi meeting again after forever felt so amazing and how Asahi was excited about seeing Rei swimming was pure, and then hail Rei and the other 3rd years for totally smashing that tournament.

After all, this episode was so good and a good wake up call for me to remind me why I love this series so much with my entire heart
Sep 19, 2018 11:00 AM

Nov 2016
Man, what an episode. I love the Iwatobi guys.

Much looking forward to the all Japan comp.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 19, 2018 3:16 PM

Jul 2017
Idk why but this episode felt really "happy." Maybe because of the OST but I honestly feel this was the most 'summery' episode
Sep 19, 2018 4:57 PM

Oct 2015
Rei and Nagisa did good in the nationals. It was great to see Rei and Asahi seeing each other since the movie, that was cool reunion.

As for Nanase, I like that free mentality he showed when he and Rin were on the traffic.

I can't for the all-Japan invitational, it will be epic I hope since it will be a single episode.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Sep 19, 2018 5:50 PM

Jan 2011
best episode this season just because of all the feels good no drama vibe and it had all the OG characters reuniting
Sep 19, 2018 7:46 PM

Sep 2017
This was a great episode. I loved all the Rei moments. Especially when he was flashing back to the moments with Nagisa and the gang from season one. The fact that him and Asahi had that change encounter in the prequel movie actually skipped my mind, so when they bumped into each other it was especially funny for myself.

Both Nagisa and Rei did good in their races, despite not getting good enough times for the final. Though I kinda figured Ai would win based on how much the second season focused on his improvement.

Anyways excited for the finale. They could so easily do another season tbh. We have a bunch of characters being introduced like the Sweedish guy and the guy in the newspaper that I'm sure they could do a lot with. There's also Sousukes return. The Olympics would be an obvious choice for the next season as well.
Sep 20, 2018 12:00 AM
Jul 2018
nagisa and rei ship is sailing I was fangirling like crazy when nagisa after rei cheered his name. THE SHIP IS FINALLY SAILING ufwbhsibwkjv8hwjwfni

btw it was an awesome episode and I love how haru cheered for rei
Sep 20, 2018 1:27 AM

Apr 2018
Didn't you guys notice that, between the flashbacks and next episode's summary at the end, it felt like we're about to see the series' finale? Has it been confirmed that this season is the last? I get so anxious thinking that I won't get to see these characters anymore T.T...
Fly High. Swim Free. You Can Be A Hero.

Sep 20, 2018 12:23 PM

May 2015
I just need another season. It deserves another one.

This week's episode was just amazing. Everyone's doing great, living without regret. So heartwarming!

It also felt like a final episode, with only the game between Haru and Rin left :/.

Sep 20, 2018 2:25 PM

Apr 2016
Besbel said:
Didn't you guys notice that, between the flashbacks and next episode's summary at the end, it felt like we're about to see the series' finale? Has it been confirmed that this season is the last? I get so anxious thinking that I won't get to see these characters anymore T.T...

I actually got the same feeling from the last half of this episode. It felt like a final moment for Free's high school characters and Sousuke, with next episode being the final moment for this season's main crew. On the other hand, we got a few new characters this season who are not really fleshed out at all, so a next season would make sense. There are loose ends enough for it.
Sep 21, 2018 11:38 AM

Mar 2016
We will still be seeing new characters in the final episode? This anime really lost its quality. If it had stopped after season 1, it would have been one of my favourites.

Why do Asahi and Rei recognise each other? They met only once, and only for a while. I can't even remember most of my classmates that I had spent more than a year with.
Sep 21, 2018 4:36 PM

Jun 2009
Ahh, this ep. made me smile so much! I'm so happy for all the characters! Though I am a bit sad that I didn't get to see even a tiny scene between Rin and Rei since I love their friendship.
Sep 22, 2018 2:57 AM

Nov 2012
i'm happy for rei getting the spotlight this episode, he was sidelined way too much! and just generally seeing all the characters reunite was great!
Sep 22, 2018 6:06 AM

Jun 2016
Now THIS is what I wanted from this season. This season could’ve been another 9/10 seaon for Free! if the series just focused on the Iwatobi swim club.

It was so nice to see some screen time for Rei and Nagisa, they have always been my favorite part of the Free! series. It was also nice to see some more interactions between Rin and Sousuke, as well as Rin and Haru. A great episode to an average season.
Help the industry and buy Blu-rays and DVD's.
Noragami is the best anime ever.
Oct 8, 2018 10:22 AM
Sep 2015
Rei deserves more love! He's such a great character, I'm glad he scored first place.
Beautiful & emotional episode. I kinda don't want to watch the last ep (even though this season sucked)
Oct 27, 2018 8:24 PM

Jul 2007
husbandolevi76 said:
nagisa and rei ship is sailing I was fangirling like crazy when nagisa after rei cheered his name. THE SHIP IS FINALLY SAILING ufwbhsibwkjv8hwjwfni

btw it was an awesome episode and I love how haru cheered for rei

Yesssss, nagisaxrei was sooooo gorgeous, with that scene showing all their memories kyaaaa. The best part of the episode ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Also, we got sousuke getting really close to rei's face and I died! I love how free makes me fangirl ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
Dec 17, 2018 3:44 AM

Aug 2017
Another good episode. I like that Asahi still remembers Rei. About Rei....those flashbacks with Nagisa were great.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Feb 16, 2019 9:04 AM

May 2010
This was probably the only episode I genuinely enjoyed this season, seeing Rei and Nagisa with Makoto and Haru made me feel a bit nostalgic <3 And reminded me, why first two seasons weree fun. FUN. Which makes me hate this season even more.
Jun 26, 2019 8:23 PM

Jul 2016
And as expected, the Iwatobi/Samezuka episodes are the ones which make this season more bearable. I wish there were more of them but well.

Really nice episode overall. The reunion between Rei and Asahi was nice and on a side note, I must say I was highly surprised I could see Momo's sister actually competing... though it was a mere few seconds sequence but still.

One more episode to go.
Jul 8, 2019 11:37 AM

Apr 2012
tsubasalover said:
ol @ even the sister of shark school brothers fell in love with muscle love manager (or rather, having the same interest). I should have realize that sister is older than younger brother, I thought she is the youngest but she's actually in the middle.

I can still understand people who think that there is something between the boys in this show, considering all these BL vibes, but are they? Do you really think that when a girl finds another girl with similar taste in guys, then they become lesbians? :D
Sep 7, 2019 2:56 PM

May 2016
Wonderful episode, next episode gonna be last one and I already feel down. gonna miss this show.
Nov 21, 2019 3:32 PM

Jun 2014
It's been a while since I've seen Rei and Nagisa swim, but they've definitely improved.

Now, Haru and Rin are going to swim against each other for the first time in a while. This should be exciting.

Jul 20, 2020 6:07 PM

Apr 2016
It was great to see Rei and Asahi reunite! It's been six years since their middle school meeting, where Rei recommended books on mental strength to Asahi lol. If not for those days when Asahi repeated, "I'm a genius" to himself in front of a mirror, Ikuya wouldn't have teased Asahi about it in university lol. xD I love that everything connects <3 And what's lovely is that it was Asahi this time who gave mental support to Rei :-) I agree with Asahi that we can indeed be lucky (look at Asahi and Rei meeting again coincidentally, and they now know they have mutual friends <3), so let's just do our best.

I like that we have our characters having fun. Ai was first and Nagisa was second, which were great! And Rei was very proud of the butterfly strokes he did.

It was touching to see Rin and Haru drive at first, and then run the rest of the way to see their juniors' final high school swimming match :-) And it was cool that we got to see Isuzu swim, and she was first!

It was nice to see our Mikhail and Azuma moments, when the two were on the phone. LOL that Azuma has Mikhail named as "Muscle Freak" XD And Azuma's nice for giving Mikhail advice on the latter's outdated Japanese slang :P

It was great to see Sousuke in good spirits about wanting to swim again. Once he's fully recovered, he'll be able to experience it ^^ And we should meet Kinjou Kaeda in the next episode, who was on the newspaper and was said by Kon (Asahi's brother-in-law) to have beat a national record during a practice match.
Aug 17, 2021 5:17 PM
Sep 2018
I don't want to end Free!... I have only 1 episode left, I'm sad. Rei, Nagisa and Ai swam well, it's cool!
Apr 6, 2022 4:52 AM

Feb 2020
It was an emotional moment to see Rei and Nagisa's last races as high school students.
Sep 19, 2022 8:48 AM

Aug 2022
AHHH this episode!! From our characters' reunion to accomplishing their goals, Rei and Asahi seeing each other again! It felt well-earned (': I love this anime! I loved the moment between Gou and Isuzu lol
๐“˜ ๐“ญ๐“ป๐“ฎ๐“ช๐“ถ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐“ฏ๐“ช๐“ต๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ฐ ๐“ฒ๐“ท ๐“ต๐“ธ๐“ฟ๐“ฎ ๐”€๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ ๐“ฌ๐“ฑ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ช๐“ฌ๐“ฝ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ผ ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ญ ๐“พ๐“ท๐“ฒ๐“ฟ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ผ.

Mar 12, 8:39 PM
May 2016
Absolutely sobbed lol. The "I do it bc of the bonds with them" killed me. It's not stupid. It's free.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Free!: Dive to the Future Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

18 by KiRobunny »»
Aug 14, 2023 10:36 PM

Poll: » Free!: Dive to the Future Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2018

64 by Dawizz »»
Jul 25, 2023 1:10 AM

Poll: » Free!: Dive to the Future Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 29, 2018

39 by Dawizz »»
Jul 22, 2023 1:25 AM

Poll: » Free!: Dive to the Future Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 15, 2018

44 by Dawizz »»
Jul 20, 2023 6:05 AM

» is Free! Dive to the Future worth completing?

momo_jan - Aug 15, 2021

13 by Dawizz »»
Jul 17, 2023 11:30 PM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.