Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 30, 2018 1:20 PM

Jan 2012
The phrase that gay characters can save anime is something That came from somewhere that I don't know where. Personally I think it's a little exaggerated but I think that gay characters has always had a interesting depht to them in all form of media. Anime however has not really shown too much of those kind of people, at least not serious ones.

Do you believe that serious gay characters can bring something interesting and good to the anime industry as a whole?
How I love a game
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 30, 2018 1:22 PM

Sep 2017
But the real question is: does anime needs to be saved?

“If you live for yourself you’ve only got yourself to blame. So I can’t really blame anyone else and I don’t have any regrets.”

list

Aug 30, 2018 1:23 PM

Jul 2017
What's the difference between serious gay and not serious gay?
Aug 30, 2018 1:24 PM
Jul 2018
No i didnt realize the anime industry needed to be "saved"
Aug 30, 2018 1:24 PM

Jan 2013
No, but can anime save gay characters?
Aug 30, 2018 1:25 PM

Jul 2017
I prefer lesbians
also anime doesnt need to be saved
anime fans do
Aug 30, 2018 1:26 PM

Apr 2016
1. Anime doesn't need saving. It's perfect the way it its.
2. How will gay characters exactly save anime ? I mean Yuri on Ice was a big thing back in 2016, and I don't see it "saving" anime.
Aug 30, 2018 1:31 PM
Aug 2016
Even if gay characters with a strong personality would be introduced in anime from now on, there will always be homophobes everywhere and they'll do all that is possible to make that anime go down and since everybody goes with the rule monkey see monkey do, those kind of anime wouldn't have a chance no matter how good they might be, or how serious the gay characters would be.
Aug 30, 2018 1:33 PM

Feb 2016
Being gay in an anime shouldn't even be made a huge thing, just considered normal. I think it's kinda annoying that romance, shounen ai and shoujo ai needs 3 different tags. They should all just be labeled romance. Who cares about the genders? It's just love.
azula-is-gayAug 30, 2018 1:42 PM
Aug 30, 2018 1:34 PM

Oct 2007
Kuroko said exactly what I was thinking.
Aug 30, 2018 1:37 PM

Sep 2015
anime doesn't need saving because there's nothing worth to save
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Aug 30, 2018 1:38 PM
Apr 2017
Perhaps they can. Maybe it will help people from being so homophobic, and give them a "lighter" way of looking at it.
Aug 30, 2018 1:40 PM

Apr 2017
i don't think it'd save this forsaken medium but i'd love some more gay characters

but then the loser's will complain that people are "shoving it in their face" while they are fine with generic anime boy #56543 running into big tit girl #69922
mal's raccoon

boop !
‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ hell yeah !
from the distant
year of

the
are after me !
Aug 30, 2018 1:41 PM

Apr 2014
dont think so. the only gay characters we get are german school boys living in an all boys dorm. only a minority of exceptions exist
Aug 30, 2018 1:44 PM
Aug 2016
>thread about saving anime in 2018
*sigh*
Aug 30, 2018 1:44 PM
Jul 2018
If it's just some corny gay relationship then I'ma pass but if it's a psychologically challenging exploration of someone struggling with their sexuality with great writing then I'd be down to watch that. Also, the concept of "saving" anime is incredibly stupid.
Aug 30, 2018 2:24 PM

Apr 2018
As being said above, Anime doesen't need to be saved. But it can always improve and go more with modern times, you know. I'd love to see more strong gay characters in Anime that aren't just implemented for some old lame jokes. We are living in the 21st century, anyone who still got problems having gay (main) characters in anime genres besides shounen/shoujo ai is childish imo. The world is actually very diverse, so why make a fuss about everything that's slightly different from what we usually get to see in the media?
Aug 30, 2018 2:41 PM

Oct 2015
Don't know about anime in general but well written and not rapey ones could certainly help the BL genre from being extremely creepy.
Aug 30, 2018 2:44 PM

Jun 2014
Yes!

Gay all-male idol Anime will save the day, with their sexy outfits with epaulettes!

Aug 30, 2018 2:49 PM

May 2013
Being gay isn't interesting, so no. If the character is written well (excluding romance) their sexuality doesn't really matter to me.
Aug 30, 2018 2:53 PM

Nov 2017
steponmeazula said:
Being gay in an anime shouldn't even be made a huge thing, just considered normal. I think it's kinda annoying that romance, shounen ai and shoujo ai needs 3 different tags. They should all just be labeled romance. Who cares about the genders? It's just love.

Well said! but sadly it won't happen.
If you are reading this I hope something good happens to you today! :3
Aug 30, 2018 3:02 PM

Jan 2018
Can gay save anime from being gay anime?
Aug 30, 2018 3:03 PM

Oct 2014
Yes, Well written Characters can save the industry Regardless of being LGBTQ or not.

But that requires the industry to be in danger.
Seiya said:
Yes!

Gay all-male idol Anime will save the day, with their sexy outfits with epaulettes!

Just as long as it isn't written for the Fujoshis
Aug 30, 2018 3:04 PM
Nov 2015
why does it matter if the character is gay or not? what makes a character interesting is personality, design, story and a good voice actor. Being gay dont make the character automatically unique and interesting plus there is a bunch of good shows coming out every season why does it need saving
Aug 30, 2018 3:07 PM

May 2015
Any well written character will save the day, but simply showing off a sexuality won't do anything good.
Aug 30, 2018 3:09 PM

Jun 2014
Bourmegar said:
Yes, Well written Characters can save the industry Regardless of being LGBTQ or not.

But that requires the industry to be in danger.
Seiya said:
Yes!

Just as long as it isn't written for the Fujoshis

I suppose that's true. I'd love to see an Anime full of hot, gay bishounen that was aimed towards guys. I wanna live to see it happen.

Aug 30, 2018 3:16 PM

Feb 2016
No wonder why Griffith is the best thing from Berserk

steponmeazula said:

It's tagged like that to be easier to find what you're looking for
Aug 30, 2018 3:16 PM
Jul 2018
I dunno, but I'm always for the gayness!?

steponmeazula said:

That's true, but this way it's easier to find what you are looking for.
Aug 30, 2018 3:19 PM
Jul 2018
no,shoujo ai won't save anime
neither will yaoi
Aug 30, 2018 3:21 PM

Jun 2014
Ever_Onward said:
Seiya said:

I suppose that's true. I'd love to see an Anime full of hot, gay bishounen that was aimed towards guys. I wanna live to see it happen.

Hearing you talk about it is making me excited and I'm not even gay.

Lol.

I'm bi, but I originally thought I was straight. It wasn't until I turned 28 that I came to terms with myself. The feminine appearance of Anime bishounen excites me in ways I cannot explain.

Aug 30, 2018 3:55 PM

Jun 2014
Ever_Onward said:
Seiya said:

Lol.

I'm bi, but I originally thought I was straight. It wasn't until I turned 28 that I came to terms with myself. The feminine appearance of Anime bishounen excites me in ways I cannot explain.

Whew, it's getting kinda hot in here. I'm okay with it though.

Well, that's good to know.

Maybe you actually like bishounen as well. It's amazing how much hotter everyone would look if they all brushed their bangs forward. If you're outside North America, bangs are referred to as a "fringe."

Aug 30, 2018 4:01 PM

Jun 2009
It sure can. Especially gay guys. All female charactera should just be erased as one 12 year old fujoshi wisely said *sarcasm* (btw, she really said that, no joke).
Seriously though, it would make no difference. Meh.
The one who come up with the idea either was a troll, or was bored out of his/her mind or is not that smart.
Aug 30, 2018 4:05 PM

May 2016
If they are decently written characters, it makes little difference.
If their only character trait is being gay, they just become a fucking joke.

Just like in real life.
Aug 30, 2018 4:25 PM

Jun 2014
Ever_Onward said:
Seiya said:

Well, that's good to know.

Maybe you actually like bishounen as well. It's amazing how much hotter everyone would look if they all brushed their bangs forward. If you're outside North America, bangs are referred to as a "fringe."

Mmm, probably. I can certainly see the appeal!

Yeah. And just to let you know, I style my hair with bangs. :)

Aug 30, 2018 8:02 PM

May 2009
> Can gay characters save anime?

No more than anyone else can. Whatever saving anime even means...
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Aug 30, 2018 8:05 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
The only thing that can save anime is if TLR gets another manga installment where Yabuki and Hasemi give Run significantly more screentime and then Xebec gives it movement.

Outside of that, I'm sorry to say that it's completely doomed. A hopeless medium that will never live up to its fullest potential. Rip :(

Aug 30, 2018 8:08 PM

Apr 2018
No, it's too late for them to save anime.
Aug 31, 2018 1:00 AM

Mar 2012
Kuroko-chan said:
Even if gay characters with a strong personality would be introduced in anime from now on, there will always be homophobes everywhere and they'll do all that is possible to make that anime go down and since everybody goes with the rule monkey see monkey do, those kind of anime wouldn't have a chance no matter how good they might be, or how serious the gay characters would be.
What exactly is "strong personality" and "serious" supposed to mean? Do you mean well written characters or characters being forceful without caring about the other person's feelings? Would a gay guy who is "serious" about pursuing a relationship with a guy who claims to be straight and harasses him for that sake still be a "good" character?

steponmeazula said:
Do you mean ecchi, shounen-ai and shoujo-ai? A romance anime usually takes an entire season for the couple to even hold hands or kiss, it's rare to see it happen in the first few episodes itself like it does in most shounen-ai, worst yet it's usually one guy forcing it on another. Junjou Romantica even had a sexual assault in episode 1 and BL in general is infamous for portraying a lot of bad things as "romantic".
Aug 31, 2018 1:11 AM

Aug 2015
How gay characters are different from the other characters?
Gay characters would be interesting only for gay audience and sjw (if characters will be realistic), and "boys love" fans. I am indifferent about gay characters and I'm sure most people are too.
Aug 31, 2018 1:22 AM
Aug 2016
Maou_heika said:
Kuroko-chan said:
What exactly is "strong personality" and "serious" supposed to mean? Do you mean well written characters or characters being forceful without caring about the other person's feelings? Would a gay guy who is "serious" about pursuing a relationship with a guy who claims to be straight and harasses him for that sake still be a "good" character?

I never said that. I never even mentioned about a gay guy pursuing a straight guy, and that would be impossible, since a straight guy can't turn gay.
Aug 31, 2018 1:27 AM

Apr 2016
That would be the end of anime world if it was a fujoshi anime that would save anime.

UrbanSpaceman said:
and "boys love" fans.

Just call them fujoshi, that name has a meaning.
Aug 31, 2018 1:31 AM

Mar 2012
Kuroko-chan said:
Maou_heika said:

I never said that. I never even mentioned about a gay guy pursuing a straight guy, and that would be impossible, since a straight guy can't turn gay.
Just asked because lot of fujos I've met do think so and even go on about such a couple being a good representation of LGBT.
Aug 31, 2018 1:52 AM
Nov 2017
This is probably one of the most absurd posts I've ever seen on this website. Amd that's saying a lot.
Aug 31, 2018 2:01 AM

Jan 2016
I prefer lesbian, Yuri Anime can save anime.
Aug 31, 2018 2:22 AM

Apr 2018
I don't want lgbthfodjd+ shit in my anime that isn't yuri fan service
Aug 31, 2018 4:05 AM
Aug 2016
Maou_heika said:
Kuroko-chan said:

Just asked because lot of fujos I've met do think so and even go on about such a couple being a good representation of LGBT.

I don't agree with that. There should be consent from both parties in my opinion. Forced things aren't good, especially if one of the characters is straight.
Aug 31, 2018 5:47 AM

Dec 2016
steponmeazula said:

Try explaining that to any ecchi/harem/hentai lover on this website. I dare you.
Aug 31, 2018 5:58 AM

Apr 2016
steponmeazula said:

Only the first romance tag is the actual romance, the rest is just fetish.
Aug 31, 2018 6:00 AM

Feb 2016
Swagernator said:
steponmeazula said:

Only the first romance tag is the actual romance, the rest is just fetish.

Then you completely missed my point. Love is love no matter what genders are involved. They're all the same.
Aug 31, 2018 6:04 AM
Jan 2017
Did Yuri on Ice save anime? How about Bana na Fish?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

5 by 707supremacist »»
23 seconds ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

49 by B0rt_ »»
8 minutes ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - Yesterday

8 by cody »»
17 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

137 by KittenCuddler »»
25 minutes ago

» Is anime just more honest about it's intent than western media?

Spunkert - 2 hours ago

3 by FanofAction »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.