Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 8, 2018 8:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah, another buildup episode. However, I'm glad to see more of Rei this time. He hasn't really been visible much this season.

Of course, there's still the swimming and it's nice to see the guys compete again in public with others cheering on. Everyone wants to prove themselves. I personally think the second half of the episode is one of the most intense segments of this third season so far. I also have admit, they are managing to make these supporting characters stand out in the new season. Romio is one of these examples even including a bit of his background story.

Stark700Aug 8, 2018 9:32 AM
Aug 8, 2018 8:27 AM

Nov 2007
High schoolers' practice trip ep. w. Hosoya-san's character, shark team, and Kirishima ani.

New free members is in trouble starting-up. Not sure if what Hosoya-san's character said helped him.

Suzumura-san's character has found a partner he can "argue" with.

New back member likes wakame.

Planning to have something at the last day: Practice relay.

Hosoya-san's character talking to Kirishima ani.

Hirakawa-san's character wanting the new members to experience the feeling he felt when he first relayed.

New free guy was able to caught the right start-up, even though they lost.

Suzuki-san's character finally saw the coach, which is Hino-san's character.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Aug 8, 2018 9:42 AM

Aug 2015
I knew we'd get some backstory of some shit that happened in the past haha, people were already discussing it online lmao. However I feel like it was good to see that one of the new characters could get some sort of backstory.

I really like that we could see a character who is insecure about his starting time, I think it's an interesting concept, and it wasn't a very important nor a very sad backstory, just a known fact.

Seeing the Iwatobi boys again along with Samezuka made me feel a little nostalgic somehow :') Also I wonder what Sousuke actually will do with his future? Honestly because he has struggled so much I wish he'd just focus on building himself up again, but not quit completely of course.

Also hmm according to the next episode preview

I want more Rin, now
Aug 8, 2018 9:53 AM
Jul 2018
The blend between strings and EDM in the background music is mesmerizing.

P.S.: Welcome Back MAL Forums!
Aug 8, 2018 11:31 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Yet another dramatic-heavy and build-up episode! Something tells me all this depressing past is being overused now. Well, the same case occurred with its previous two seasons though so it’s best to be patient now.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 8, 2018 11:38 AM

Oct 2016
I'm glad they're showing some backstories of the new characters instead of placing some random, flat characters in the Iwatobi swim team just to have four swimmers.
Glad to see Momo again too ^^

So far, I'm enjoying this season and I'm happy they decided to make a third season of Free!, but I'd be even happier if someone could shut Hiyori up.
Aug 8, 2018 12:57 PM
May 2009
This was the first episode this season that really felt like Free! to me again. The new characters in the Iwatobi highschool swim club are great. The kid who's afraid to start is relate-able. I don't like Rei as much as a senpai teaching others as I liked him as the younger less experienced one who's trying really hard to be cool. His motivational speech to the new kid felt really gross to me for some reason... Anyway I'm enjoying this much more than the 4 first episodes.
Aug 8, 2018 1:11 PM

Apr 2012
Finally, we got to see the new Iwatobi team. Romio is so cute and the guys get along so well, it reminds me of the first season. Also I'm glad to see Momo and Ai again. ^^
Next week it seems there will be some Hiyori and Ikuya flashbacks. I don't really know how I feel about this, I'm not a big fan of Hiyori.
Aug 8, 2018 2:00 PM

Sep 2017
Woo forums are back! So far I'm enjoying this third season of free. It's great to see how much this series has grown over 3 seasons and 2 (non-summary) movies. I particularly like how they've tied all the characters together and, as least so far, have been able to balance and combine story lines pretty evenly.

Ikuya's overprotective friend is a real prick tho.
Aug 8, 2018 3:24 PM

Jul 2012
Good episode!! It's nice seeing the new Iwatobi boys. They're all so cute and I love the interactions.

The scene with the coin with Natsu and Sou was pretty deep tbh. I'm glad Sousuke got his resolve.

Next episode's gonna be hectic but I can't wait to watch it!
Aug 8, 2018 3:28 PM

Nov 2016
I really liked the vibe off this episode and the little competition was great too,nice way to improve the chemistry of the team.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 8, 2018 4:44 PM
Oct 2017
I've had that spiciest curry at Brick Lane Curry House in NYC. It's no joke, I finished it within the half hour they give you but threw it all up outside right after I finished it
Aug 8, 2018 6:12 PM

Mar 2015
To be honest the first half was quite tedious for me, i just don't care about Romio at all and his drama was not something new.
Aug 8, 2018 6:49 PM

Oct 2012
Its good to see Gou
Aug 9, 2018 11:17 AM

Nov 2012
this was one of the better episodes this season, it was nice to see iwatobi and samezuka again. shows just that this season would be another solid one if it wasn't for the ikuya+hiyori drama.
Aug 9, 2018 9:51 PM

May 2012
OMG! Forum is back! I sooo miss it!

Now, this season has lots of characters that they are giving at least backstory to each.
Aug 9, 2018 11:06 PM

Feb 2012
Alright I'm saying it: Ikuya and his drama is some highschool shit that I'm not even into. . . It's like watching season 1 drama all over again. We've seen this happen twice already and I find the fact that they chose this for season 3 drama so boring and lacking in creativity.

This episode was a breath of fresh air and I'm not looking forward to the inevitable episode focused on Ikuya and his creepy friend (probably next one, based on previews).
VyudaliAug 9, 2018 11:12 PM
Aug 10, 2018 12:04 AM
Mar 2014
Ah, some backstory and Romio dove straight away in the end!
Aug 10, 2018 4:26 AM

Aug 2018
Reigisa moments during this episode were wonderful. (●♡∀♡)
Aug 12, 2018 11:27 AM

Dec 2016
This episode was refreshing and interesting! I was really missing the interactions between Iwatobi's boys and Samezuka's. So, I'm happy that we could see their training camp and know more about the new characters.

Sadly, based on the preview, we'll see in the next episode the Ikuya and Hiyori's backstory (yay...). I only hope it won't turn out to be heavily dramatic...
J-ForeverJun 29, 2019 3:12 PM
Aug 13, 2018 10:49 AM

Mar 2014
Some Reigisa moments, Sousuke and getting to know the new Iwatobi members. It was great to see some swimming too. This was a good episode, taking us away from the drama.

I hope the Ikuya storyline doesn't drag too much, at this point everyone is just blocking the conversation Haru wants to have with him when things could be resolved so easily. This is like s1 Rin all over again. And now probably Haru will get more depressed because of shitty Hiyori. This lacks originality, I wanted their storyline to be more refreshing this season and all they do is go after Ikuya. We had 0 time with deepening Makoto, Rin or Haru's character :/ I hope KyoAni proves me wrong tho
Aug 14, 2018 4:14 PM

Apr 2009
This season has been largely bad, they are now 20 but they still act like emotional 10 year old girls.

At least the Yanhomo is funny.

Aug 23, 2018 4:20 AM

Jan 2013
Jin_uzuki said:
This season has been largely bad, they are now 20 but they still act like emotional 10 year old girls.

your age doesn't describe your personality lol
they could be 50 and 'still act like emotional 10 year old girls.'

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Aug 23, 2018 4:23 AM

Jan 2013
there's almost no Rin this season I'm sad

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Sep 3, 2018 3:00 PM
Jul 2018
Great episode!

Simple slice of life with Nagisa, Rei, and Gou is much more pleasing than watching Ikuya, who I don't even care about at all.

Also, where's Rin?!
Oct 8, 2018 12:15 PM

May 2010
Again - too many characters! Some already had their drama moments when I barely remember their names, or basically anything about them other than hairstyle :| Why should I care about them and their problems in the slightest? Sigh.
Dec 16, 2018 7:10 AM

Aug 2017
So far, I think that is the best episode of this season. Despite that there is many characters in this season, they did it well.

Those scenes with Sousuke and Natsuya were great.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 7, 2019 7:35 PM

Apr 2016
I may have the unpopular opinion because I don't mind that there are many characters. I like seeing different characters intersect and seeing their impacts on each other. <33 We got a break because there was no Hiyori this episode LOL (yes, I'm still not happy at Hiyori telling Haru that everyone our protagonist swims with tends to suffer -_____-), and I will assume that Ikuya is swimming and reflecting on how to approach his middle school friends.

I like the comedy at the beginning LOL. We know that Amakata Sensei can drive, but she's scary when she turns LOL. Rei ended up vomiting in the car our team rented, and poor Shizuru was unconscious LOL!! At least Nagisa and Romio had fun looking out the window and appreciating odd-shaped rocks xDD

I enjoyed seeing Rei as a supportive senpai! It's so nice to see how much Rei has grown, compared to season one when he wasn't interested in swimming and had difficulty at first. Now, Rei can swim with confidence and motivated Romio :)) I love the moments when Nagisa and Rei exchanged eye-contact, as they knew to split up: Nagisa had his eye on Romio, and he and Sousuke learned why Romio is afraid of starting; Rei went shopping with Shizuru and learned that Romio had a false start in middle school and their swim team lost. Overall, I liked that the feeling of wanting to swim and swimming with his Iwatobi peers was what led Romio to dive with a clean start! :) It'll be nice to see Shizuru and Romio grow as swimmers, and I think they'll do well in leading the swim team once Rei and Nagisa graduate. <3

It's always nice to see how energetic Momo is! :) I adore Momo's passion for swimming, and it was nice to see him reunite with Aoba Usami; the two played tennis together in the spring at a hot spring xDD Congrats to Samezuka for winning their practice relay!

It's great that both Sousuke and Natsuya attended the training camp as alumni of their respective schools. I forgot that Natsuya graduated from Sofukan High School lol, so I was almost surprised to see Natsuya there. :P I liked the moments Sousuke and Natsuya shared together! There was such a nostalgic feeling when Sousuke and Natsuya talked about Rin (both parties were unaware they were referring to the same person though), as we saw Natsuya's passion to swim and Sousuke certainly wants to swim with Rin again. I loved that scene where Natsuya suggested having a bet by flipping a coin (heads mean Sousuke pursues his dream and moves forward, while tails mean Sousuke takes a break). I like that in the end, Sousuke chose to not see what the coin was facing, because he made his own decision. I'm not sure if Sousuke wants to swim competitively, but it's always good to take baby steps because he certainly wants to swim and swim with Rin again. <3 Sousuke will be fine though, and the coin was suggesting that too because it was facing heads :))

I like that Makoto is teaching at the pool, and he reunited with Misaki, the boy he encountered last episode and in Free! Take Your Marks when Haru and Makoto were looking for an apartment for Haru in Tokyo. :)) The dots are now connected, since Misaki visited the apartment of his old swim coach who just moved out in Free! Take Your Marks, and Nao just moved in episode 0 and said he didn't get to say goodbye to a student. Now, it's confirmed that Misaki's old swim coach was Nao. Now that Nao is visiting the public pool, I'm looking forward to Nao and Makoto's reunion!! :) Makoto and Nao haven't seen each other since middle school, so it's been a good four years, huh?

The preview is showing us moments of Hiyori and Ikuya, including when they were younger. It seems we'll learn about Hiyori and Ikuya's past next episode! Learning their past may be helpful in letting us know why Hiyori is so protective of Ikuya LOL.
Jun 17, 2019 8:45 PM

Jul 2016
Honestly, I did my best to enjoy this episode to the fullest since it seems the next one will be focused once again in Ikuya and Hiyori... ugh.

Anyways, nice episode overall. Absolutely way better than the disastrous previous one and as some people have said, it was also a refreshing change of pace from all the dumb drama regarding Ikuya and Haru. Not to mention that it was really pleasant to see Rei not being used as merely comic relief. Without a doubt, I can tell he's doing an excellent job as the new captain.
Nov 20, 2019 8:41 PM

Jun 2014
Romio had a fear of false starts, but his teammates talked to him, and that problem is now in the past.

Now, the question remains, will Sousuke get that surgery?

Aug 16, 2021 3:09 PM
Sep 2018
It's cool to see Rei and Nagisa, i'm happy ahah
Apr 5, 2022 8:21 AM

Feb 2020
This was the first good episode.

I'm happy for Romio. He got rid of his false start anxiety by the help of his teammates.

I hope to see Sousuke swimming again.

Nao is back. Nice. :)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Free!: Dive to the Future Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 19, 2018

30 by wvni »»
Mar 12, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Free!: Dive to the Future Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

18 by KiRobunny »»
Aug 14, 2023 10:36 PM

Poll: » Free!: Dive to the Future Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2018

64 by Dawizz »»
Jul 25, 2023 1:10 AM

Poll: » Free!: Dive to the Future Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 29, 2018

39 by Dawizz »»
Jul 22, 2023 1:25 AM

Poll: » Free!: Dive to the Future Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 15, 2018

44 by Dawizz »»
Jul 20, 2023 6:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.